PDA

View Full Version : For CD: Quick-Time Events in TReboot - What you liked and what you didn't like?

Pietras
10th Jun 2011, 01:17
Please, before answering in this thread watch the extended TReboot "Cavern" demo from GameSpot:
http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6318948/tomb-raider-e3-2011-stage-demo?hd=1&tag=top_stories%3Bplay_btn%3B1

In case you didn't like any of the QTEs in the extended TReboot demo and/or don't like the concept of QTEs in general and want them all removed, remember that this (removing all QTEs) is not going to happen at this stage of development so pretty please, instead post the most constructive suggestions you can come up with on how to improve them.

All posts in this thread are personal opinion of every poster by default, including mine :) Let's keep this thread as focus and tight for CD to reference as possible :)

-------------------------------------------------

Remove The Metal Spike QTE:
I think it's just great. Perfectly paced, perfectly executed, very immersive, emotional and involving. Having X as the button to push makes perfect sense here because it's the general action button in the standard gameplay as well, we use it often to make Lara do something with her hands (pull a switch, open doors, pick up a key etc). Having to push X rapidly until we get the spike out is a very good decision because it simulates having to use bigger force necessary to remove the spike stuck in her side. This scene is a perfect example of a good Quick-Time Event IMO.

2nd scavenger fight QTE:
Another very good example IMO. I like how we have to use the left analog stick to make Lara kick him. We already use the left analog stick in standard gameplay to literally control her legs (and make them move the character around) so it fits to use the same input method in a QTE involving legs. Rapidly pushing LS/L1 from side to side simulates Lara pulling her legs up and straightening them to kick repeatedly very well.

2nd scavenger fight QTE:
The only complaint I have about this scene is the usage of X at the end. Like I said earlier, I like how we have to use the left analog stick to make Lara kick the scavenger. It's clear, makes sense and translates well. But the random X popping out of nowhere to make the final kick is just unnecessary and breaks the immersion IMO, especially considering it is established in the same scene that legs are controlled with LS/L1. But this is not a very big complaint unlike...

The final climbing QTE:
The final scene of Lara climbing was unfortunately a mess IMO. Obviously this is an early code, but the way it's executed now needs to be reworked. The scene was not well paced and the camera shifts were very abrupt and distracting.

It would be better IMO to have this scene just be analog controlled, with the camera behind Lara all the time so would be climbing towards the light at the end of the tunnel (a very powerful image which was unfortunately damaged by the abrupt camera shifts) while at the same time having to avoid the falling boulders ourselves, manually (with LS/L1). I like QTEs when they're executed in appropriate moments, like in the the 'Remove The Metal Spike' QTE which was fantastic. But in this scene it's just unnecessary and reminded me strongly of now-archaic QTEs from Legend. Not to mention at the time the final scene comes in, it just feels like there's way too much QTEs in one level and this is coming from me, someone who actually likes QTEs (when well executed).

Other solution could be either removing the falling boulders from the LT/RT-controlled QTE scene completely, or execute their implementation better. But I still think this scene should be simply analog-controlled. From what I know about games, I don't think transforming this one scene into analog-controlled would be a big problem. But it would make it much better IMO. Especially considering this is the big finale of the opening level which has to be perfect to leave a good impression.

-------------------------------------------------

That's my opinion, please post yours and your ideas how to improve specific QTE scenes (if you feel it's needed/necessary).

QiX
10th Jun 2011, 06:33
I'm one of those who want any hints to be optional, or at least very subtle. I don't want icons floating in front of every object you can interact with. One kind of hint to interactive object I think would fit perfectly is the one used on Grim Fandango, classics never die. No icons, no messing with your camera's angle, the character simply moves slightly the head and looks at the object when he's close enough to it, and this should be real subtle.

vrDqS7zSuo0

Another thing to point out here, hand controller optional on the PC version. Keyboard and mouse is the best gaming control system ever created, make it smooth and with a handy key assignment section in the options menu. Don't force XBox or PS controllers on us, PC gamers. We may be a smaller niche but we do get angry aeasily. Don't push your luck with us, got it? ;)

LARALOVERnr1
10th Jun 2011, 08:40
I personally liked all of them, especially the last one. I find them a welcome addition to the gameplay.

chriss_99
10th Jun 2011, 08:51
First of all, thanks for sharing this video. I haven't seen it before and it looks MUCH better than the demo showed at Microsoft's conference.

I don't know if it's the quality or the extended version, but this video was pretty impressive.

As for the QTE, from what I've seen so far it seems really enjoyable. I've never had anything against this sort of interaction with the game.

The scene where Lara is impaled on a spike and she tries to pull it off is.... Jesus... I can literally almost feel her pain.

My favourite set of QTE is, on the contrary to Pietras, the last scene when Lara climbs up. My heart was beating like crazy just from watching that scene.

The changing camera angles were a nice addition, but I feel that the QTE should be even more unexpected. There were moments were time slowed down for a second and that suggested incoming QTE. I would get rid of that and make it even more challenging.

dark7angel
10th Jun 2011, 09:53
I agree with Pietras, that last QTE was not my favourite! As for the others we saw in the demo, I think they are really well done, specially that first one!

Sam_kain
10th Jun 2011, 14:20
I don't mind it at all, after all i am a big fan of God Of War, so QTE are pretty much in my blood LOL, yet as seen in the demo the QTE work so well in TB, it is not like Heavy Rain where the whole campaign is QTE, it seems pretty scripted to me, and just to nail the mode for you once you start playing, but i believe when you advance those QTE will decrease alot

On the other hand seeing Lara dies is actually pretty intense, and the spike QTE nailed the mode for me, every time i see the demo i get more and more excited

Natla
10th Jun 2011, 16:00
I think it seems to be implemented well, but I'm not sure it matches my particular tastes in gameplay.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
10th Jun 2011, 18:32
I just hate QTE's. A way to remove the players control over the character and a get killed off in a cheap way. If we are stuck with them, they should be made easy so that they don't become the toughest bits of the whole game like I have seen with so many recent titles. The less the role of QTE's the beter especially none at the end of long boss fights

Elliot Kane
10th Jun 2011, 18:41
I won't be able to tell until I see the PC version. Implementation was fine in Legend, but if I'm having to use half the keyboard I'll not be thrilled.

Jaheria
11th Jun 2011, 00:27
I don't know. When a cut scene comes on I'm usually to involved in it to notice the QTE and then it pops on and I'm like "oh ****" because I just missed the button :(.

Maybe if it's like Heavy Rain with the occasional "more then one chance" QTE. That way when you completely blank out and miss the first one you don't have to go through everything all over again.

Driber
12th Jun 2011, 10:57
I'm one of those who want any hints to be optional, or at least very subtle. I don't want icons floating in front of every object you can interact with. One kind of hint to interactive object I think would fit perfectly is the one used on Grim Fandango, classics never die. No icons, no messing with your camera's angle, the character simply moves slightly the head and looks at the object when he's close enough to it, and this should be real subtle.

Great suggestion, I second this! :thumb:

WinterSoldierLTE
12th Jun 2011, 12:18
Great suggestion, I second this! :thumb:

I'll second that second. Thirdsies, I guess. That's partially what made the Silent Hill games so cool back in the day. You had to PAY ATTENTION to what your character was looking at. Many were the hours I was lost on my very first playthrough of "SH2" 'cos I didn't notice James looking at a door a certain way.

chriss_99
12th Jun 2011, 12:29
That's actually a hint system that was already introduced to TR series.
The classic titles were deprived of any hint systems. However, Lara was sometimes staring at place the player was supposed to go to.

The first time I encountered such a thing was in TR1 in the first level. I had no idea what is she staring at. :lol: I thought there was something more to it than just to show my directions.

Andy64
12th Jul 2011, 00:37
It seems that overuse of QTE's was the main concern in the telegraph review (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/video-games/8625023/Tomb-Raider-preview.html) . I don't mind a lot of QTE's in the games so long as it isn't the ones where you have to press X 20 times and get repetitive strain injury after you play it a couple of times. I do prefer non-cutscene QTE's more with on screen dodge commands in the middle of a battle than ones where the button presses are in cutscene.

sierra xb
12th Jul 2011, 03:22
I don't mind the QTE's so much, just as long as there aren't too many of them. I am used to Legend or Anniversary where there are no more than 1 QTE per level (if even that many), but I am not opposed to having a couple more per level if they are absolutely necessary.

LadyRufina
25th Jul 2011, 17:36
I like the QTEs in Resident Evil 5 because they're quite challenging and exciting. I am very happy with QTEs but only if they are interesting and make me pull stpuid faces while i'm doing them lol.

d1n0_xD
25th Jul 2011, 17:47
and make me pull stpuid faces while i'm doing them lol.

Oh, yeah, I so miss that hahahah :D Nice ^^ :lol:

Error96_
26th Jul 2011, 21:06
I like the QTEs in Resident Evil 5 because they're quite challenging and exciting. I am very happy with QTEs but only if they are interesting and make me pull stpuid faces while i'm doing them lol.

I love how the QTE's in Resi 5 actually fit so well the situation and they never seem to to have put in for the sake of it. I used to think QTE's were dreadful but now I do see they have use particually for melee moves. There is though one bit in the last boss battle where Sheva has to button mash for about 2 minutes to climb up a ledge and that always kills my fingers. I wouldn't want to see anything like that in TR. On a wider point though I would say Resi 5 is a great action shooter and also has a real creapy atmosphere that TR seems to have lacked recently. There is perhaps a lot CD could learn from it.

My example of how not to do QTE's would be Sonic Unleashed where you do big jumps and have to press sequences of buttons within seconds or you just die. Maybe three quarters of my deaths on the game came from QTE's. For any TR game it really has to be the enemies, traps and jumps evaded in active play that are the tough bits. I wouldn't want the majority of the ingame deaths coming from just missing QTE button presses.

d1n0_xD
26th Jul 2011, 22:37
QTEs should be fun, you know, whether they're about enemies, traps, boulders whatever, when you push those buttons and see the end result, you'be like: 'Coooool! Can we do that again?' :D That's what I wanna see :D

dark7angel
26th Jul 2011, 22:49
I love how the QTE's in Resi 5 actually fit so well the situation and they never seem to to have put in for the sake of it. I used to think QTE's were dreadful but now I do see they have use particually for melee moves. There is though one bit in the last boss battle where Sheva has to button mash for about 2 minutes to climb up a ledge and that always kills my fingers. I wouldn't want to see anything like that in TR. On a wider point though I would say Resi 5 is a great action shooter and also has a real creapy atmosphere that TR seems to have lacked recently. There is perhaps a lot CD could learn from it.

I LOVE Resi 5 and I agree that it's a good example where QTE's work really well!!! (Except that one with Sheva that always kills me! Or the one with Chris at the same time that my brother would always miss causing me to fall and die!!!)