PDA

View Full Version : What hurts the visuals is the lack of dynamic lighting

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
9th Jun 2011, 14:41
Does anyone else feel this is an area where the engine REALLY shows its weakness and that leaves a negative impact on the overall impression in regard to the visual side of the game?

When I was watching the presentetion, I couldn't shake the feeling that something's wrong, something's missing - and then I realized - no object in the game world casts shadows.

I would really contribute to the grim atmosphere of the caves if Lara actually cast a shadow from a torch she's carrying...

It's kind of strange, we had games like Doom 3, Severance, Riddick and other which had that feature at the beginning of the century. Maybe I'm overexaggerating, but the lack of dynamic lighting really makes the graphics look flat.

LARALOVERnr1
9th Jun 2011, 14:43
Release date: fall 2012. Thats 1.5 years from now, so 1.5 years longer in development. Believe me, by the time they're ready to release this, all those problems will be fixed :)

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
9th Jun 2011, 15:00
Release date: fall 2012. Thats 1.5 years from now, so 1.5 years longer in development. Believe me, by the time they're ready to release this, all those problems will be fixed :)

I honestly don't believe they will be, for one reason - TR reboot uses the same engine used in Underworld, which suffered from the exact same problems.
Unless they've completely re-written parts of the engine, which doesn't seem to be the case, there will almost certainly be no dynamic lighting in the game, which is a real shame when you compare TR to many other games currently on the market.

Denis..
9th Jun 2011, 15:09
with lazy ppl working on the game, be happy even without shadows

dark7angel
9th Jun 2011, 15:56
I honestly don't believe they will be, for one reason - TR reboot uses the same engine used in Underworld, which suffered from the exact same problems.
Unless they've completely re-written parts of the engine, which doesn't seem to be the case, there will almost certainly be no dynamic lighting in the game, which is a real shame when you compare TR to many other games currently on the market.

It is the same engine from the previous games but it was completely rebuilt from scratch! You can check the interview with Karl where he talks about that: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-tomb-raider/715243 at 2:10

And don't forget that what we saw is still the early stages of development! The game is still alpha!!!
And most importantly, the game has been a big success at E3! People that didn't giva a rat's *** about TR are now interested in the game! Most people are talking really great stuff about what they saw at E3! So I wouldn't worry about the game leaving a negative impact! Quite the opposite actually!

Sam_kain
9th Jun 2011, 20:54
It is the same engine from the previous games but it was completely rebuilt from scratch! You can check the interview with Karl where he talks about that: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-tomb-raider/715243 at 2:10

And don't forget that what we saw is still the early stages of development! The game is still alpha!!!
And most importantly, the game has been a big success at E3! People that didn't giva a rat's *** about TR are now interested in the game! Most people are talking really great stuff about what they saw at E3! So I wouldn't worry about the game leaving a negative impact! Quite the opposite actually!

+1, The game presentation was really great, and everyone was impressed, and still 1.5 year left so that means it can become a master piece in terms of graphics, we just need to wait and see

aang001
9th Jun 2011, 22:08
There is dynamic lighting with the torch... It reflects off all objects, it flickers etc... What are you talking about. There is shadows in the game as well. Are the shadows perfect and the torch light spot on? No, but this is a demo a year and a half before it comes out. A ton changes in that time. This thread is pointless. Your worrying about a game 1.5 years before it's due... They dont know what they're keeping or adding, they may or not have CG scenes, things arent anywhere near the finalized versions. They just want you to get the point of they are taking this game seriously. After Uncharted 3 comes out, Im sure they'll implement some other ideas to make sure they are on par with that game. The game looks amazing for the record. Not sure what's wrong with your eyes. :scratch:

Jerion
9th Jun 2011, 22:45

Deus Ex: Human Revolution uses the same basic (albiet heavily, heavily modified) engine as TR Underworld. Just saying, it doesn't mean much when there's a team of competent programmers.

jcsn6usl678

Phaid_Min6Char_Sigh
11th Jun 2011, 18:01
Deus Ex: Human Revolution uses the same basic (albiet heavily, heavily modified) engine as TR Underworld. Just saying, it doesn't mean much when there's a team of competent programmers.

jcsn6usl678

Oh, I'm sure there are some competent programmers at Crystal, but the point is, you can only upgrade engine to a certain extent.
I mean, I don't want to compare Underworld engine to PC-based powerhouses which run Crysis or Metro 2033, but even when you look at what can be done on consoles, you have Uncharted 2/3, which utilize very good lighting system with solid shadows. TR reboot, based on the demo, is lacking in this department.

I just want this game to be as good as possible in all areas.

LARALOVERnr1
11th Jun 2011, 19:47
I did some research, and this game IS NOT running on the TR: UNderworld engine. I's a completely new engine, called the 'Crystal Engine'. It's the first game to run on that engine :)

All I can say is: It looks incredible :eek: :D