PDA

View Full Version : Why remove swimming?

Pages : [1] 2

a_big_house
8th Jun 2011, 20:14
I probably won't be the only person to be thinking this but removing the swimming is just weird, Lara has always swam, it's usually a puzzle aspect also.
So, CD, why can't Lara swim?
Community, why do you think so?

dark7angel
8th Jun 2011, 20:20
Maybe it was a technical issue and they just didn't find the right way to implement it into the game...

Ants_27_
8th Jun 2011, 20:31
Are they? We are talking about the new TR right?

But if your right then, Nathan Drake gains the ability to swim underwater and Lara losses it... they do work within the same circle but in different directions.:lol:

a_big_house
8th Jun 2011, 20:33
Are they? We are talking about the new TR right?

Yeah, Karl said so in an interview :s

Ants_27_
8th Jun 2011, 20:34
Ah.. I was going to say how do you figure that out from the E3 demo they did. But that clears it up! Ta for that.:D

Jurre
8th Jun 2011, 20:46
Does this mean that water is gonna be a deadly trap? Like Altaïr in Assassins Creed was instantly dead when he touched water? Because that is not cool!

AdobeArtist
8th Jun 2011, 20:48
This is certainly unexpected :confused:

dark7angel
8th Jun 2011, 20:51
Does this mean that water is gonna be a deadly trap? Like Altaïr in Assassins Creed was instantly dead when he touched water? Because that is not cool!

That's not going to happen 'cause we already saw in the gameplay demo Lara wading through water up to her neck!

Ants_27_
8th Jun 2011, 21:03
Fair point dark7angel, fair point.;)

Elliot Kane
8th Jun 2011, 21:08
Well, as long as there's no water around that we should be able to swim in, I guess...

If Lara has no need to swim, that's fine. But every British child is taught how to swim at school, so if Lara CAN'T swim, that'd be a whole other thing...

dark7angel
8th Jun 2011, 21:09
Fair point dark7angel, fair point.;)

Thank you very much, sir! ;)

Ants_27_
8th Jun 2011, 21:10
Well, as long as there's no water around that we should be able to swim in, I guess...

If Lara has no need to swim, that's fine. But every British child is taught how to swim at school, so if Lara CAN'T swim, that'd be a whole other thing...

This is true, I remember the good old primary school days where I had to go weekly with my class to be taught how to swim... pass tests in it and all that.

That was 'commoner' school as well, so I'm sure 'Private school' would as well.:rasp:

Danielsun_
8th Jun 2011, 21:17
hmm, epic fail?
Seems silly too remove an aspect from a game when it seems too me that it enhances gameplay to do swimming, under water puzzle solving, not being funny but they cant use she is 21 as an excuse because there are plenty of people younger who can swim well, the fans want answers :p

Ants_27_
8th Jun 2011, 21:21
Exactly, even Northern folk can swim, I started swimming when I was about seven... after jumping into water and realising ,as I fell in slow motion, that I wasn't that great a swimmer.

I soon got better.:lol:

Surely you don't go on a boat without the knowledge, "if this bad boy sinks at least I'm safe till I get tired." - or is that just me?:rasp:

a_big_house
8th Jun 2011, 21:25
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-tomb-raider/715243

Thought you may want to see the interview :) He says it during question time at the end part of the interview, he says it quite quickly though...

Ants_27_
8th Jun 2011, 21:32
Ta for the link, me is going to watch!

a_big_house
8th Jun 2011, 21:41
No prob :) That site is quite good for their E3 coverage

angelus0901
8th Jun 2011, 21:42
Lara won't be able to swim?!?!? Well that pretty much sucks... :mad:

LC is Me
8th Jun 2011, 22:17
I'm thinking they might remove the need for us to actually DIVE underwater and swim to/for something.
I can't imagine them completely removing any reactions with water.
That'd be silly: she's on an island.

auric
8th Jun 2011, 22:31

Did they say the character can't swim, or just the game's ability only?

so story-wise she may be able to swim, but we won't be doing it during any venture.

How she got to the shore to begin with, holding on to something?

This is about her first venture right? her origin as a Tomb Raider.

oh btw is this about the Bermuda Triangle? I saw an old ship in the trailer, may not be seeing it clearly but no time to recheck.

RosePetals
8th Jun 2011, 23:33
W-W-WHAT?! :eek:

Elliot Kane
8th Jun 2011, 23:34
Auric,

Devil's Triangle, IIRC. The one near Japan.

Ants,

This is true, I remember the good old primary school days where I had to go weekly with my class to be taught how to swim... pass tests in it and all that.

Ah, the good old swimming certificate, yeah! :D

WinterSoldierLTE
8th Jun 2011, 23:34
Bacteria infested waters and she'll constantly have open wounds? Infections are no fun.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
9th Jun 2011, 00:39
The idea that Lara can't swim will be some lame excuse for why Lara can't get around the island easily such as add a river to block her route. It is a bit lowsy if it is true that Lara can't swim.

MissJess
9th Jun 2011, 03:39
I was pretty disapointed when I read that too. All that unswimmable water is just going to call out to me all game...

“come swim in me.. oh wait you cant!!:lmao:”

QiX
9th Jun 2011, 05:39
It's a shame, really. Why is that? To avoid using invisible walls? They'd better put hungry orcas attacking when you get too deep in the ocean but allow us to explore underwater within safe limits. Swimming adds a lot to the feeling of immersion, pun intended. :confused:

Natla
9th Jun 2011, 05:50
Most survival horror games don't have swimming so I'm not too bothered if this new game doesn't.

QiX
9th Jun 2011, 05:59
I think Lara could even be able to build a makeshift surf board at some point, but I digress. Better skip this idea. :nut:

Ants_27_
9th Jun 2011, 06:51
Ants,

Ah, the good old swimming certificate, yeah! :D

Hell yeah!:lol:

jtr7
10th Jun 2011, 05:06
Hopefully it's so they can create more and new types of terrain navigation movements and push for more dynamism, and all the animations, sounds, interactions, and collision types to go with them, and not just to keep players out of the ocean.

Sam_kain
10th Jun 2011, 09:39
maybe there is no swimming section, like the only water you will see is the ocean, and you will be standing on a mountain so jumping to swim will cause you to die

LadyRufina
18th Jul 2011, 14:39
I remember being amazed when i bought the first tomb raider game and found you could swim in it, it was one of the biggest points in the Tomb Raider franchise! If they stop it now then they could be changing too much...

Driber
22nd Jul 2011, 10:20
^ There won't be any fully submerged swimming in this game. It doesn't necessarily mean Lara will never be able to swim anymore...

LadyRufina
22nd Jul 2011, 10:28
^ There won't be any fully submerged swimming in this game. It doesn't necessarily mean Lara will never be able to swim anymore...

I know but still, it's a massive point in the Tomb Raider franchise, the game would have to be really good to make up for that fault. Although I am a massive TR fan and played the games since i was 7 and I am all for a reboot but, possibly removing swimming may be a little too far...

dark7angel
22nd Jul 2011, 10:39
I really don't see how removing submerged swimming from one game is such a huge problem!

Sure, we all love the underwater sections from previous games (ones more than others!) but if it didn't have a place in this story so be it!

Driber
22nd Jul 2011, 10:55
the game would have to be really good to make up for that fault.

Fault? hmmm, I'd say: wait for the release, play the game yourself and then cast your judgement if it's a fault or not :cool:

IvanaKC
22nd Jul 2011, 12:25
As long as it's not like in Assassin's Creed 1 game - you fall in the water and die - it shouldn't be a problem. I think there is no reason for Lara to swim in the ocean anyway.

dark7angel
22nd Jul 2011, 12:42
As long as it's not like in Assassin's Creed 1 game - you fall in the water and die - it shouldn't be a problem. I think there is no reason for Lara to swim in the ocean anyway.

Exactly! If it doesn't fit into the story than why put it into the game just for the sake of having it?!!!

We know we can get into water, because we saw Lara wading in the E3 demo with water up to her neck! I guess we just won't find deeper water in the island! And like Ivana said, there's no reason for Lara to swim in the ocean!

LadyRufina
22nd Jul 2011, 13:52
Fault? hmmm, I'd say: wait for the release, play the game yourself and then cast your judgement if it's a fault or not :cool:

Well it is a fault in some respect, say for example Red Dead Redemption: Amazing game but not being able to swim was one of the only faults in the game. I know you can't have everything and maybe i'm being very greedy because the game looks amazing even over a whole year before release but I still think swimming is a pivital point in Tomb Raider, it's like the double blades in Assassins' Creed!

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
27th Jul 2011, 20:17

thank goodness! :worship:
i was so scared that we would never
again be able to view the glorious underwater
environments! :gamer:

hiMe
28th Jul 2011, 01:06
I find swimming unnecessarily difficult on Tomb raider series some times. Plus I imagine it'd be harder to code if they want to focus on realistic features underwater.

But I'm sure she'll manage to sway against the shore clutching under her bosom. Marvellous I say.

Sina_Croft
29th Jul 2011, 08:20
and NO DINOSAURS? :| XD

thank goodness! :worship:
i was so scared that we would never
again be able to view the glorious underwater
environments! :gamer:

LaraCroftFanForever
29th Jul 2011, 21:37
Still getting use the idea that Lara will not be swimming in tomb raider reboot
but dang I aslo had fun making Lara swim in her previous games.

who know maybe the creators just add swimming back since that what most fans are wanting imo.

HermioneSnape
3rd Aug 2011, 14:41
HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE! She has always swam! Always! They cannot take this away from her! Do you know how many hours of enjoyment I got out of making her drown in Croft Manor?

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
3rd Aug 2011, 20:41
HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE! She has always swam! Always! They cannot take this away from her! Do you know how many hours of enjoyment I got out of making her drown in Croft Manor?

well that's a bit evil...but amusing in a really twisted way :lol:

sierra xb
4th Aug 2011, 16:10

I am really curious...why does Lara have to do everything in this game that she has done in the previous games? Why does the lack of Lara performing a particular activity in the reboot seem to translate that she will never do it again...ever? It seems like people are not really getting the point of this new game...this is NOT the old Lara, and she does not have to conform to the old model of what she has or hasn't done in the past. Remember that this game is like chapter 1 in a new book...plenty of time in the future for swimming...she doesn't have to do EVERYTHING we are used to right at the beginning.

d1n0_xD
4th Aug 2011, 16:46
^ Tell 'em, Sierra :D From my point of view, we will be so distracted by the gameplay, we won't even notice that there's no swimming, I mean, it's not like swimming is the main thing about the gameplay xD Like reversing the time in Prince of Persia etc. Got a little offtopic here, anyways, there is some water, you know, there's just not actual swimming and diving... To me, that section where water is up to Lara's neck is waaay better than any water levels I've encounter so far :D And there'll sure be more moments like that... Once again I'm saying, swimming isn't all that important (at least, to me). Things like, 'Oh, I enjoyed swimming so much in TR' Well, go swim in a pool. And yeah, I don't understand how people got the idea that Lara DOESN'T know how to swim when she's just NOT GOING TO swim XD Just wait for the game to be released and I bet you'll see that removing the water levels ain't much of a flaw. Unless, you REALLY dig those levels, then I suggest buying a swimming-simulation game :D

IvanaKC
4th Aug 2011, 23:08
And I still don't get one thing: through the whole thread everyone is talking about underwater levels. When I was talking about swimming, I meant SWIMMING, not underwater levels! Swimming like swiming, not exploring underwater stuff.

I already said that swimming probabably isn't so relevant to the game, but I'll still miss it. I won't miss underwater levels, I'll miss classic swimming (like when Lara had to swimm on that little part on the beginning of Bolivia in TRL), but it shouldn't be a problem to get used to Lara not being able to swim in the ocean. After all, she doesn't have any reason to do so anyway.

LaraCroftFanForever
5th Aug 2011, 05:37
I already said that swimming probabably isn't so relevant to the game, but I'll still miss it. I won't miss underwater levels, I'll miss classic swimming (like when Lara had to swimm on that little part on the beginning of Bolivia in TRL), but it shouldn't be a problem to get used to Lara not being able to swim in the ocean. After all, she doesn't have any reason to do so anyway.

That the part I'm going to miss
swim underwater levels

RosePetals
5th Aug 2011, 14:50
We have to keep in mind that the Lara Croft in this new game in an inexperienced archaeologist. She's practically innocent in the act of surviving in an island full of blood-thirsty natives -- I doubt she'd be capable of solving underwater puzzles and holding her breath for more than one minute while swimming.

Besides, this is a survival-horror game. I haven't seen/played a game with that genre that has fully-submerged swimming.

VioletBlue
7th Aug 2011, 09:43
I have to say that I'm actually not too disappointed about there being no swimming in the reboot. For me the swimming levels were always my least favourite, I found the controls didn't work as well and the number times I cried out in frustration of trying to position Lara correctly in front of the lever in order for her to pull it, especially when against the clock! hehe. Also I felt the swimming and underwater levels seemed to detract from the atmosphere of the game it felt rather less Tomb Raider-ish!! So maybe that's why there is no swimming in the next game just to solely concentrate on the new Lara and create more atmosphere?

Besides after just surviving a shipwreck surely you be glad to stay on land for a bit! :p

auric
7th Aug 2011, 09:58
If swimming gets this much attention,

I wonder how people will react to a Tomb Raider game
that is perfect in every way, all features, great story, graphics, action, swimming, sexy appearances & fashion, etc.

but

only have "A Cups"
:o

Will people not buy a super game just because of that? ;)

LadyRufina
7th Aug 2011, 10:06
If swimming gets this much attention,

I wonder how people will react to a Tomb Raider game
that is perfect in every way, all features, great story, graphics, action, swimming, sexy appearances & fashion, etc.

but

only have "A Cups"
:o

Will people not buy a super game just because of that? ;)

Well that's too small and i'm a girl that doesn't want Lara to have big boobs rada rada... C's will be fine, I've got D's and I think they're too big for my frame :\

auric
7th Aug 2011, 10:21
Well that's too small and i'm a girl that doesn't want Lara to have big boobs rada rada... C's will be fine, I've got D's and I think they're too big for my frame :\

I wonder if it'll hit world wide news, fans complaining as a hacker altered every DVD burner in the production facilities to alter that 1 little thing.

Will there be an uproar across the globe. :D
news broadcast question:
"Are gamers over reacting?"
"Vandalisms arised portraying the true Lara Croft."
"Just wait for the implants patch"
:D

LadyRufina
7th Aug 2011, 11:37
LMAO

I can just imagine the headline: OUTRAGE AS TR FANS FIND THEIR ICON HAS MOSQUITO BITES FOR BOOBS

:lmao:

Driber
7th Aug 2011, 17:33
I'm gonna stop you guys right there. I believe the topic was swimming. Lets stay focused ;)

LadyRufina
7th Aug 2011, 20:50
I'm gonna stop you guys right there. I believe the topic was swimming. Lets stay focused ;)

Party pooper :cool:

Joshorty
7th Aug 2011, 20:56
Because Lara is at her newb stage, it makes sense for this to be taken away. What a shame considering how swimming is what I considered to be one of the many fun things in TR (like seeing the shiny blue swimming pool for the first time in Lara's mansion in TR1). Maybe next time.

Cheeky_Charlie
8th Aug 2011, 17:16
I think that removing one of the biggest "fun things" in all of the TR games.. swimming.. is just plain ****ty. I mean with all Laras skills in previous games... she can´t swim? And still going along on a trip in a big ship and getting stranded on an island which is surrounded by TA DAH water!!

dark7angel
8th Aug 2011, 18:30
I think that removing one of the biggest "fun things" in all of the TR games.. swimming.. is just plain ****ty. I mean with all Laras skills in previous games... she can´t swim? And still going along on a trip in a big ship and getting stranded on an island which is surrounded by TA DAH water!!

It's not that Lara, the character, can't swim!!! She most likely can! However, in this game, we - the player - will not have swimming in the gameplay!

sierra xb
9th Aug 2011, 04:49

This is a reboot, so you can't make any assumptions based on Laras's "skills in previous games". When it comes to what the new Lara can and cannot do, you might as well just forget everything from TR1 up to TRU. Besides, if CD is going for realism here, I don't think it would be a good idea for Lara to go swimming in the ocean with bleeding wounds...can we say "sharkbait"? (and likely no spearguns this time)

d1n0_xD
9th Aug 2011, 09:48
Yeah, and there's that danger of infection... Like someone said, it seems like people are trying to hate this game :p

Flintmelody
9th Aug 2011, 12:42
On auric's thought well I would NEVER buy that game. Would be a total betrayal of Lara's roots. It's an extreme example and won't happen though.

Now very quickly back to topic - No Swimming is a shame but it allows for good natural barriers. It will be great for zoning the island whilst keeping up the open world theme. Something similar perhaps to the blocked bridges of Grand theft auto perhaps where completing objectives lets you through into other areas.

d1n0_xD
9th Aug 2011, 12:51
I read somewhere that open-world is here described as... how do I put this XD If anyone ever played Return to Mysterious Island, there, a girl is in similar situation as Lara, her boat was cought in storm and she shipwrecked on this island... At the very beginning, the only area that she's "allowed" to explore is the beach and she's very tired. At one location, there is like a 2 meter high "step" covered with branches that allows you to explore the rest of the island. BUT, that girl doesn't have the strength to remove those branches and climb that rock because she's exhausted and you have to find food and get warm until your health and stamina are recovered :D The same thing is in TR, some areas are restricted, but not with invisible walls. No, Lara just doesn't have enough skill yet to, for example, climb a wall, remove rocks or something like that ^^

Driber
9th Aug 2011, 12:54
^ *exhales* I feel stronger now

:lol:

Something similar perhaps to the blocked bridges of Grand theft auto perhaps where completing objectives lets you through into other areas.

Similarly, in Scarface - The World Is Yours, Tony is barred from reaching yet-to-be-revealed places through the ocean by sharks killing him after swimming in deep water for a few minutes.

I'd like to see this in TR9. It would certainly keep with the realism theme :D

Hmmm, ponytail, nom nom nom.

Rashaad01
10th Aug 2011, 02:07
Perhaps there wont be any need for her to really swim? Maybe there's hardly any water easily accessible on the island so it may go unnoticed.

dark7angel
10th Aug 2011, 09:17
Perhaps there wont be any need for her to really swim? Maybe there's hardly any water easily accessible on the island so it may go unnoticed.

This is what I'm thinking as well!!! And the water that we do find, Lara will just wade across it like we saw in the E3 demo!

hiMe
14th Aug 2011, 19:18
Let's try and approach this in a realistic manner then. (As the game has taken to this approach as well.):

- Lara stranded on Island
- She's new to being alone?/scared?/deeply injured?

Thus will not enter dangerous waters? Or if so: is the horizon so far that it'd be pointless to swim? Plus she's injured, is it feasible to swim in this state?

If anything, travelling across small shores would do. It would keep in tone with the game.

sierra xb
15th Aug 2011, 04:28
the only real reason i can see for Lara to go into water deep enough to swim in would possibly be to get to some of the ships stuck on the rocks to look for supplies, but even that wouldn't really require swimming, she can just wade like she does in the caves. I won't miss swimming in this one at all....next game though she better be ready to swim the English Channel ;)

LC is Me
17th Aug 2011, 03:53
Let's try and approach this in a realistic manner then. (As the game has taken to this approach as well.):

- Lara stranded on Island
- She's new to being alone?/scared?/deeply injured?

Thus will not enter dangerous waters? Or if so: is the horizon so far that it'd be pointless to swim? Plus she's injured, is it feasible to swim in this state?

If anything, travelling across small shores would do. It would keep in tone with the game.

Though I had no problem with the removal of the swimming feature, I never thought of the reasoning behind in that way.
Nice way of putting it. :thumb:

Gitb97
17th Aug 2011, 23:02
In all honesty, since I saw the first gameplay, I have fallen back in love with her, but; I can see why swimming has been removed, judging from what I saw, I can only see one good reason for her to swim, and even that isn't enough. But, my reason: An easier escape from enemies, and even they might have that ability too.

Lara_Fan_84
18th Aug 2011, 22:10
I'm not too disappointed that Lara can't swim. I'd rather see more land interaction anyway.

TranceTrouble
21st Aug 2011, 09:33
i myself are not really bothered about not being able to swim, all the points above infections, sharks maybe even piranha's with those cuts it makes her a easy target.

would rather be more intresting to learn skills, collect supplies like ropes, through the levels to build a raft, or bridge to other side of for example a river.

IvanaKC
21st Aug 2011, 11:34
i myself are not really bothered about not being able to swim, all the points above infections, sharks maybe even piranha's with those cuts it makes her a easy target.

would rather be more intresting to learn skills, collect supplies like ropes, through the levels to build a raft, or bridge to other side of for example a river.

A river...that's an idea.

Waterfalls would be great too! I always loved waterfalls not just in TR but any game they appeared in. Just imagine if you could find some cave or something behind waterfalls...

AdobeArtist
21st Aug 2011, 15:08
Party pooper :cool:

Mutinyyyyyyy :p:rasp::naughty:

hiMe
22nd Aug 2011, 08:42
Do any of you think we might get bored of being in the same location for the entire game? As normally in Tomb Raider games, we're all over the place in the world.

dark7angel
22nd Aug 2011, 08:54
Do any of you think we might get bored of being in the same location for the entire game? As normally in Tomb Raider games, we're all over the place in the world.

Well, not really, IMO. It is indeed just one location but it can have a variety of environments, like the cave, jungle, village, mountain, etc... Just because we're not going all over the world, doesn't necessarily mean that we won't have a variety of locations in the island!

d1n0_xD
22nd Aug 2011, 09:22
^ My thoughts exactly! :thumb:

TranceTrouble
22nd Aug 2011, 10:59
wouldnt bother about the same place to much, as long not everything is in the jungle and we got a few caves :P

Anvie
22nd Aug 2011, 13:47
Just look at the Just cause 2 on which you're a big island with so many variety (mountain, beach, city, desert ...) this island is huge and you can do what you want it's a really good game from Square Enix

To return to the topic, I'd appreciate to swim, not to escape from the island by swimming but in some puzzles or well hided secrets and with a smaller ability to apnea

xXTombRaiderXx
22nd Aug 2011, 14:41
That's not going to happen 'cause we already saw in the gameplay demo Lara wading through water up to her neck!good point there but they said Swimming is not a big element in this game , they said Lara will be walking through the water in various places , but i dont think she will be able to swim like she did in the previous games tbh

Cheeky_Charlie
23rd Aug 2011, 14:19
It's not that Lara, the character, can't swim!!! She most likely can! However, in this game, we - the player - will not have swimming in the gameplay!

If she most likely can, then why not add it to the gameplay then? There is no logical reason to leave the swimming away from the game. Maybe CD is lazy to create the underwater enviroments?

This is a reboot, so you can't make any assumptions based on Laras's "skills in previous games". When it comes to what the new Lara can and cannot do, you might as well just forget everything from TR1 up to TRU. Besides, if CD is going for realism here, I don't think it would be a good idea for Lara to go swimming in the ocean with bleeding wounds...can we say "sharkbait"? (and likely no spearguns this time)

I know it´s a reboot. A crappy one at that in the case if Lara is completely without a few necessary survival skills, like swimming. And even though CD wants us to forget everything in the past TR games and start over, the old games are still in our memory. Like example that I have just played through TR trilogy and starting the new game. Suddenly Lara can´t swim? I mean it would be so hard to avoid swimming in the games environment. Does GTA, Assassins creed ring any bells??

Don´t get me wrong. I love TR games and Lara and the rest of the franchise. But This reboot thing is getting too rebooted in my opinion. She´s not really Adventurer Lara Croft anymore and the new game until now doesn´t really feel like a Tomb Raider.

Driber
23rd Aug 2011, 14:44
Cheeky_Charlie, lets leave that kind of slam posting on other forums, shall we ;)

You shouldn't jump to any conclusions and make unfound statements of the devs being "lazy" or the game going to be "crap", but instead wait until you actually play the game.

Like has been said before, no one knows yet if CD intentionally left swimming out of this game or if it's a case of Lara simply not encountering deep water in this game to swim in.

d1n0_xD
23rd Aug 2011, 14:51
And even though CD wants us to forget everything in the past TR games and start over, the old games are still in our memory.

I think the "forgeting" part was just a figure of speech, not literally forgetting. And like Driber said, the game hasn't even come out yet, so no quick conclusions. ^^

Driber
23rd Aug 2011, 15:13
I think the "forgeting" part was just a figure of speech, not literally forgetting.

Indeed :)

TranceTrouble
23rd Aug 2011, 15:40
and they still got more then a year to go to get the game ready. Maybe they come to a part where they think swimming is better and will even include a little swimming.[being optimistic]:rasp: :D

Elliot Kane
23rd Aug 2011, 15:58
The important question, IMO, is not 'Why is there no swimming?' but 'Are there any areas of the game at all in which swimming is even viable?'

Clearly the idea of Lara not being able to swim at all is ridiculous (As I noted earlier, every British child learns to swim by law. End of), but on an island in the middle of nowhere without any huge, deep bodies of water then Lara could be an Olympic champion and it wouldn't matter one bit because there'd still be nothing to swim IN.

We can see from the trailer that she does plenty of wading, so it's not like she's suddenly going to be rendered incapable of getting to somewhere just because there's a little stream across her path.

It's a bit like with any other skill: you may be the world's best helicopter pilot, but if there aren't any helicopters around that skill won't help you much.

dark7angel
23rd Aug 2011, 16:05
The important question, IMO, is not 'Why is there no swimming?' but 'Are there any areas of the game at all in which swimming is even viable?'

Clearly the idea of Lara not being able to swim at all is ridiculous (As I noted earlier, every British child learns to swim by law. End of), but on an island in the middle of nowhere without any huge, deep bodies of water then Lara could be an Olympic champion and it wouldn't matter one bit because there'd still be nothing to swim IN.

We can see from the trailer that she does plenty of wading, so it's not like she's suddenly going to be rendered incapable of getting to somewhere just because there's a little stream across her path.

It's a bit like with any other skill: you may be the world's best helicopter pilot, but if there aren't any helicopters around that skill won't help you much.

The Quotable Kane strikes again!!! :p I agree with you 100%!!! :thumb:

TranceTrouble
23rd Aug 2011, 16:41
The Quotable Kane strikes again!!! :p I agree with you 100%!!! :thumb:

guess i have to agree with quotable Kane to :thumb::nut::thumb:

sierra xb
23rd Aug 2011, 18:45
Don´t get me wrong. I love TR games and Lara and the rest of the franchise. But This reboot thing is getting too rebooted in my opinion. She´s not really Adventurer Lara Croft anymore and the new game until now doesn´t really feel like a Tomb Raider.

As someone already mentioned, it is not a case of Lara not being ABLE to swim, but rather has NO PLACE to swim, at least in this game. Just think about the environment...she is on an island off of the coast of Japan...which is very likely to be volcanic in origin (tall mountain in the middle sloping down to the coast all around), which means no place for deep bodies of water. The only water large enough to swim in is the ocean itself, but since that only leads away from the island no matter which way you go, there is no real need for Lara to swim there, unless she has some desperate interest in drowning. So it is not a case of CD being "lazy" but rather just no place for swiming to be realistic.

The other thing is, like Driber said, NONE of us know how this game will turn out in the end, so no need to criticize it until we see the entire game. Of course, she is not "adventure" Lara YET because this is her first adventure, regardless of what memory we retain of the previous games, and everything has to be viewed from that angle. The point here is to see how Lara BECOMES the Tomb Raider, so I suspect there are some familiar features that we are just going to have to do without for this first installment.

Look at it like this...Batman had 4 films released before we got to see an origins story in Batman Begins. The first 4 had all the typical characters and villains, and Batman was already doing his thing. In the 5th film, we got to see HOW he became Batman, but it obviously took a while for that process to be completed. Same thing with Lara....every hero has a starting point, and every character has to have time to develop...so let this happen for Tomb Raider and enjoy it :)

d1n0_xD
23rd Aug 2011, 19:22
Yeah, and both Batman Begins and the Dark Knight were better movies, IMO :D I think it's gonna be the same with this :D

amanda1908
26th Aug 2011, 10:27

agree. a bit disappointed about not diving any more, but, do not judge if you do not want to be judged.

LadyRufina
26th Aug 2011, 10:37
agree. a bit disappointed about not diving any more, but, do not judge if you do not want to be judged.

??? I don't think I could be judged by a game somehow :scratch: but I admit I was a bit brash with the whole 'fault' thing it's just ever since the first TR, swimming was a massive addition to the game and yes, I know if it doesn't add anything to the experience of the game then it should be left out but, maybe only people who've played TR from the very start get it... I dunno :confused:

Elliot Kane
26th Aug 2011, 13:27
??? I don't think I could be judged by a game somehow :scratch: but I admit I was a bit brash with the whole 'fault' thing it's just ever since the first TR, swimming was a massive addition to the game and yes, I know if it doesn't add anything to the experience of the game then it should be left out but, maybe only people who've played TR from the very start get it... I dunno :confused:

Dunno. Some games can be terribly judgemental, in my experience. Stuff like "Come on!" "Why aren't we moving?" and "Shouldn't we be getting on with the mission?" are all pretty judgemental! :D

amanda1908
26th Aug 2011, 13:40
??? I don't think I could be judged by a game somehow

I was generally speaking not about you and the game specifically.. sorry if you understood it wrong. It is just an expression we use in my country :p

LadyRufina
26th Aug 2011, 13:46
^ Never heard of those games but in a general discussion forum I think we should actually 'discuss,' that's what a discussion thread is about isn't it? God forbid if anyone 'judges' a game because it doesn't have a swimming mechanic, I mean, really? :hmm: sorry for my poor choice of wording i.e: 'fault' but every TR game has submerged swimming so in my eyes it was a fault as in if Resident Evil didn't have QTEs. Not that every RE game had QTEs in it but it was a big point in RE because not many games could take on QTEs and make them exciting. Maybe i'm going off topic here but I am so excited with this new game that the only thing I could 'fault' it with is the lack of the swimming mechanic otherwise I'd have nothing to discuss!

EDIT: Wrote this before I saw amanda's post but really, what else would I think?

Driber
26th Aug 2011, 14:33
Nothing wrong with discussions!

My input in the discussion was that IMO one cannot speak out "fault" when the game is yet to be released. That is all :)

Dunno. Some games can be terribly judgemental, in my experience. Stuff like "Come on!" "Why aren't we moving?" and "Shouldn't we be getting on with the mission?" are all pretty judgemental! :D

http://driber.net/os/oh-you.jpg

sierra xb
26th Aug 2011, 16:19
Nothing wrong with discussions!

My input in the discussion was that IMO one cannot speak out "fault" when the game is yet to be released. That is all :)

That is so true...much of what I have seen in this forum (and others) has been speculation, guessing, and wishful thinking, mainly because we have so little actual information about the game (aside from what CD has told us). People are curious, so it's no surprise that this would happen, but far too many people are forming opinions (and judging) this game way too far in advance...we haven't likely even seen 5% (if that much) of the game and it is still at least a year away from release.

I'd say continue to speculate, guess, and wish...but IMO it would not be a good idea to "judge" the game until we see a finished product.

LadyRufina
26th Aug 2011, 16:31
That is so true...much of what I have seen in this forum (and others) has been speculation, guessing, and wishful thinking, mainly because we have so little actual information about the game (aside from what CD has told us). People are curious, so it's no surprise that this would happen, but far too many people are forming opinions (and judging) this game way too far in advance...we haven't likely even seen 5% (if that much) of the game and it is still at least a year away from release.

I'd say continue to speculate, guess, and wish...but IMO it would not be a good idea to "judge" the game until we see a finished product.

Argh! I am going to say once again that this next installment from what i've seen SO FAR (NO JUDGEMENTS) may be my favourite TR, just from looking at gameplay mechanics and story, that the only thing I could fault FROM what i've seen so far is the lack of swimming NOTHING else. I am not judging the game in itself, I am SIMPLY faulting the lack of swimming in itself :confused:. I am not angry, I am just trying to put my point across more simply for the unfortunate people who can only take a single sentence at face value.

d1n0_xD
26th Aug 2011, 17:41
^ I agree, with and exception of swimming, it doesn't bother me that there's no swimming :D

sierra xb
27th Aug 2011, 04:37
Argh! I am going to say once again that this next installment from what i've seen SO FAR (NO JUDGEMENTS) may be my favourite TR, just from looking at gameplay mechanics and story, that the only thing I could fault FROM what i've seen so far is the lack of swimming NOTHING else. I am not judging the game in itself, I am SIMPLY faulting the lack of swimming in itself :confused:. I am not angry, I am just trying to put my point across more simply for the unfortunate people who can only take a single sentence at face value.

I wasn't pointing a finger at any one in particular...just a trend that I have been noticing.

amanda1908
27th Aug 2011, 17:19
come on, guys... it was just a misanderstanding... let's quit arguing about this and concentrate on the topic.

LadyRufina
27th Aug 2011, 17:47
come on, guys... it was just a misanderstanding... let's quit arguing about this and concentrate on the topic.

I wasn't planning on adding anything else, I made my point I don't need to go on.

Driber
28th Aug 2011, 09:06
Neither was I. Nor do I think there was an "argument" going on. I understood LadyRufina's explanation, it's all good and no one is or has been angry :)

So, who will reboot this conversation? :D

Lara_Fan_84
28th Aug 2011, 14:33
How about getting back on topic about a tutorial. Would you rather see one at a beach or a mansion? I kind of like the forced tutorial from the game play we saw. We are forced to learn our moves because if we don't get out soon we'll die. Kind of like Underworld where we had to escape the burning mansion.

LadyRufina
28th Aug 2011, 14:45
This is a topic on swimming. There's already a topic on tutorials isn't there?

Cheeky_Charlie
30th Aug 2011, 05:56
Cheeky_Charlie, lets leave that kind of slam posting on other forums, shall we ;)

You shouldn't jump to any conclusions and make unfound statements of the devs being "lazy" or the game going to be "crap", but instead wait until you actually play the game.

Like has been said before, no one knows yet if CD intentionally left swimming out of this game or if it's a case of Lara simply not encountering deep water in this game to swim in.

Okay, let´s wait for the complete game and see how it plays. I´m just really scared about it not feeling like a real tomb raider, like all the previous titles did. Maybe it has some effect that I just played through TR trilogy and the original game, and watched all the new footage of the new game.

I´m terrible sorry if I upset someone.

Driber
30th Aug 2011, 06:54
np, it's understandable to get heated up sometimes because we all love Tomb Raider so much :)

Cheeky_Charlie
31st Aug 2011, 19:16
np, it's understandable to get heated up sometimes because we all love Tomb Raider so much :)

You got that right ;)

LARALOVERnr1
31st Aug 2011, 19:37
As long as it won't be like Assasin's Creed (Weeee, jumping from boat to boat! Whoops, I slipp.... *Dies) I honestly couldn't care less about wether we'll be able to swim yes or no.

(Why didn't I comment earlier in this thread? :p)

Lara_Fan_84
31st Aug 2011, 23:48
Okay, let´s wait for the complete game and see how it plays. I´m just really scared about it not feeling like a real tomb raider, like all the previous titles did. Maybe it has some effect that I just played through TR trilogy and the original game, and watched all the new footage of the new game.

I´m terrible sorry if I upset someone.

See, from my perspective....pretty much forget about the other TR games like they never existed. This is how this game will start. I know what you mean though about thinking of other TR games. I'm just saying that this game is supposed to be like the other games don't exist. We get a new perspective and we see Lara from a different light. No swimming will be something different from any other TR game. Who knows, we might not think about it so much when we play the game.

Hoodedclaw
2nd Sep 2011, 14:57
Most of Lara's games has had swimming?

Why are they taking it away?

Well i suppose she's on an island but they could add some parts where there is deap water and levers underwater.

Thats just.......Weird?? :D

Driber
2nd Sep 2011, 16:48
yes :p

Lara_Fan_84
2nd Sep 2011, 22:38
This is a topic on swimming. There's already a topic on tutorials isn't there?

Oops wrong topic. :nut: Sorry forgot which one I was reading for a second. :cool:

Hoodedclaw
3rd Sep 2011, 08:52
yes :p

Ahhhhh :rolleyes:

You do know that if you watch some gamplays there are really tite spaces where you see Lara trapped with water and she is swimming. And as she is trying to escape to daylight places she is running in water.
So id say that there is going to be some swimming affects. :D

Cheeky_Charlie
13th Sep 2011, 05:01
See, from my perspective....pretty much forget about the other TR games like they never existed. This is how this game will start. I know what you mean though about thinking of other TR games. I'm just saying that this game is supposed to be like the other games don't exist. We get a new perspective and we see Lara from a different light. No swimming will be something different from any other TR game. Who knows, we might not think about it so much when we play the game.

That was exactly my point earlier. I don´t want to forget everything about previous TR:s, or that they never existed. But the new game looks great and seems to be something totally awesome. My only concern is that does this new TR have se same "TR feeling" I sure hope so. :)

Anvie
13th Sep 2011, 07:16
I believe that we need to keep the good points from the other TR games, Swimming is adding a great part to adventure :)

Cheeky_Charlie
13th Sep 2011, 07:24
Thats what I think too. But nonetheless the game looks fantastic and I love the work eidos has done for the franchise, they really got back up into the eyes to the big audience.

I just watched the stage demo again and I must say that I can´t wait to get my hands on this game, with or without the swimming.

I have started to feel that if the game as a whole is going to rock my world, then the lack of swimming is just a minor detail in the whole picture.

Lara_Fan_84
14th Sep 2011, 18:36
Thats what I think too. But nonetheless the game looks fantastic and I love the work eidos has done for the franchise, they really got back up into the eyes to the big audience.

I just watched the stage demo again and I must say that I can´t wait to get my hands on this game, with or without the swimming.

I have started to feel that if the game as a whole is going to rock my world, then the lack of swimming is just a minor detail in the whole picture.

Yep I agree. I am thinking that once we start playing nobody will care if there was swimming in it or not.

I think this new TR game will have us looking back on other TR games with fond memories. Maybe little things here and there will trigger it. But, I wouldn't want every piece from previous TR games to be in this new game. We already have an Anniversary game after all, even if it's just for the original TR.

d1n0_xD
14th Sep 2011, 18:47
Yep I agree. I am thinking that once we start playing nobody will care if there was swimming in it or not.

I think this new TR game will have us looking back on other TR games with fond memories. Maybe little things here and there will trigger it. But, I wouldn't want every piece from previous TR games to be in this new game. We already have an Anniversary game after all, even if it's just for the original TR.

This is what I was talking about a while ago, about both swimming and references to other TRs, but nobody cared XD Nice point you got here :thumb:

Cheeky_Charlie
15th Sep 2011, 08:42
This is what I was talking about a while ago, about both swimming and references to other TRs, but nobody cared XD Nice point you got here :thumb:

Sorry if I missed your point earlier :) I got just so worked up a few pages ago.

Anvie
15th Sep 2011, 11:20
Sorry if I missed your point earlier :) I got just so worked up a few pages ago.

Why everybody is quoting his "up neighbor" ??? :D

Lara_Fan_84
16th Sep 2011, 13:12
Why everybody is quoting his "up neighbor" ??? :D

It's for reference. If people make random posts it won't make sense. :nut:

Lara_Fan_84
16th Sep 2011, 13:13

Thanks very much. :cool:

tombraider1best
16th Sep 2011, 23:17
If this is true, then this game is going to be a hell of a lot different from what i expected.
I sure hope it's not like the old GTA'S where if Lara touches water, she'll die, 'cause that sure would suck! :')

Driber
17th Sep 2011, 13:06
It's for reference. If people make random posts it won't make sense. :nut:

Anvie said UP neighbor. When you reply to someone who posted as last in the thread, you don't need to quote, because then it's understood you are directing the last post ;)

Usually a simple "^" at the start of your text suffices.

Lara_Fan_84
21st Sep 2011, 18:44
Anvie said UP neighbor. When you reply to someone who posted as last in the thread, you don't need to quote, because then it's understood you are directing the last post ;)

Usually a simple "^" at the start of your text suffices.

Yes it works unless the forum is busy and someone else posts at the same time you do and you may be agreeing with something that has nothing to do with what you're talking about. I will keep ^^ in mind though thanks for the information. :)

aussie500
22nd Sep 2011, 11:15
I probably won't be the only person to be thinking this but removing the swimming is just weird, Lara has always swam, it's usually a puzzle aspect also.

I think since they started fresh and redid everything for the reboot, why would they need to include swimming? It was never in the game so never removed, what has been in past games is nothing to do with the new one. Lara can swim, we saw her wade her way through a watery underground tunnel, she managed not to drown. Swimming is not a feature of this game, if they did not need it for anything, why include it. There are lots of adventure/action games that do not have the main character swimming, some very popular games have even had the main character drown when they fell in water. At least we do not have to survive a Lara who can drown as soon as she gets in the water. They will probably include swimming as part of the gameplay in a later game, why worry about it, there seems to be plenty of other things to do in the game.

d1n0_xD
22nd Sep 2011, 16:45
^ Preach it, Aussie! :thumb: :D

Lara_Fan_84
23rd Sep 2011, 12:59
I think since they started fresh and redid everything for the reboot, why would they need to include swimming? It was never in the game so never removed, what has been in past games is nothing to do with the new one. Lara can swim, we saw her wade her way through a watery underground tunnel, she managed not to drown. Swimming is not a feature of this game, if they did not need it for anything, why include it. There are lots of adventure/action games that do not have the main character swimming, some very popular games have even had the main character drown when they fell in water. At least we do not have to survive a Lara who can drown as soon as she gets in the water. They will probably include swimming as part of the gameplay in a later game, why worry about it, there seems to be plenty of other things to do in the game.

BTW, I quoted because the last person to post wasn't the one I wanted to respond to. :D

Ok so I agree with this. I'm sure like you said we'll have plenty to do that we won't even care that there was no swimming. Perhaps we might even have something to do that will make up for the fact that there is no swimming.

mikey716
25th Sep 2011, 01:05
So i heard a rumor that lara somehow uncovers this object of some sort wakes the dead on the island and has to battle her way to survival...and encounters natla............Im assuming its fake but i also heard that tomb raider is having 3 more games come out and than its ending....I dont know what to belive anymore :P

sierra xb
25th Sep 2011, 05:21
^ that's the problem with rumors because...well, it's a rumor :) Unless I hear it from a CD employee or see it in the game when it comes out, then I am not likely to believe it. The simple fact that the name "Natla" is being brought up tells me that this isn't true. I figured that based on Karl's various interviews that none of the old characters would be putting in an appearance...ever.

Elliot Kane
25th Sep 2011, 15:41
I'd agree with Sierra on this one. Plus 'Lara wakes the evil she then has to put down' is basically the plot of TR4. Don't think they'd repeat.

FastDebrid
28th Sep 2011, 00:56

Hmmm...I agree with you.
When I used to play TR and just want Lara to play around the manor or wherever she maybe, I like making her swim. I find it fun.
Plus, it adds to the versatility of the mechanics of the game.
Would they not include rivers or any type of bodies of water to the view of the game?
That would really be weird since Lara goes to mountains and caves.
They should not remove that. That's really weird.

larafan25
1st Oct 2011, 00:10
At first I thought that perhaps it was not done due to technological issues. Perhaps with all of the physics based problem solving, maybe there was an issue with Lara's physics and the physics of other more buoyant objects. Just a N00b thought. However, I then thought that perhaps they simply didn't have time for it, or were working on things they thought were more important. Perhaps they didn't mean she can't physically swim, but that there is no reason to enter the water as there is nothing to look for. In that sense TRU has swimming, an entire underwater level (2 actually).

But no, it seems the answer we get is some mixed up language involving sensational words like "Experience" and PR [talk]

I eventually decided I did not care about an explanation as to why, but more of an explanation as to how. We've seen Lara in water, so she can wade in water, but not even swim on the surface? Evidence of this is the Wolf Den demo which was recently seen in Paris. Lara exits the Wolf Den and returns to camp by sliding off of a waterfall and into a pool of water (which I'd assume is deep enough for her to land in) which somehow happens to be shallow enough for her to wade out of.

I don't like the sound of sliding, how do you slide off of a waterfall?

Realistically, the stream would pull you off and you'd land in the water. If the drop is high enough you'd need enough water to swim in so as to not injure yourself when landing. Being able to wade in that water gives me the idea that it would be too shallow. So something is tricky here, and fishy.

I agree with people who say that a huge piece of Tomb Raider is gone with swimming. I don't think it deserves to be in the game simply because it's always been there, I think CD give it purpose in the one game which it is not featured.

By that I mean, this game to me is not really an introduction into Lara's past, biography, schooling. It's not an introduction into relic finding (or so I'm led to believe), it's simply an introduction to the survival that is goes hand-in-hand with Tomb Raiding. Part of that survival is water, some tombs are submerged, this is a huge part of survival and the most vulnerable place to be for us is most likely under water. We're under time, physics are different, there can be currents, tight spaces to slow us, darkness, etc...

CD are really going to hype swimming in TR10, like it's the next best thing.

We'll see though.

Driber
1st Oct 2011, 07:42
I don't like the sound of sliding, how do you slide off of a waterfall?

Realistically, the stream would pull you off and you'd land in the water. If the drop is high enough you'd need enough water to swim in so as to not injure yourself when landing. Being able to wade in that water gives me the idea that it would be too shallow. So something is tricky here, and fishy.

I don't see what's fishy. It could simply be a not to high waterfall. Like a slide in a waterpark, which then lands you into a pool with water about chest high.

Would sound perfectly realistic to me :whistle:

Clara might know the details, though. She played the demo. I'll see if I can get her into this thread...

d1n0_xD
1st Oct 2011, 08:24
I don't see what's fishy. It could simply be a not to high waterfall. Like a slide in a waterpark, which then lands you into a pool with water about chest high.

Clara might know the details, though. She played the demo. I'll see if I can get her into this thread...

Yeah, now that you explained, it makes sense to me too, it's not a steep waterfall, like 90°, but a "sliding waterfall" :D
I'm jealous of people who actually played the demo :p (yeah, Clara, damn you :rasp: )

Elliot Kane
1st Oct 2011, 08:28
I'm sticking with 'won't judge what I haven't played'. Seems safest :)

Driber
1st Oct 2011, 08:33
I'm jealous of people who actually played the demo :p

I'm not. I was invited to a private demo hands-on :p

LadyRufina
1st Oct 2011, 16:43
The next prize for a competetition should be a free hands-on demo??

a_big_house
1st Oct 2011, 17:26
/\ YES DEFINITELY!

LadyRufina
1st Oct 2011, 17:34
Although it would be difficult to pan out...

a_big_house
1st Oct 2011, 20:32
Well Driber hasn't slashed our dreams yet :D

sierra xb
2nd Oct 2011, 01:59
I'm sticking with 'won't judge what I haven't played'. Seems safest :)

I like your attitude :) It is a little difficult to not get my hopes up, but then again, anything TR will be good for me.

larafan25
2nd Oct 2011, 04:41

Those are the Clara details. :)

It could very well have been a stream of water with a short drop. Who knows? only the people who've seen.

SE_Cath
2nd Oct 2011, 22:43
Honestly, I don't see what the big deal is with the waterfall and the pool of water. Lara has been going through shallow water for ages.

If the drop is high enough you'd need enough water to swim in so as to not injure yourself when landing.
From what I remember, the waterfall wasn't high. I paid attention to Lara's moves at that moment because you asked a question about Lara diving from the top of a waterfall. But no, sliding is the word, as you slide down a river, when the stream is strong. You know, you go with the flow :)

Yeah, now that you explained, it makes sense to me too, it's not a steep waterfall, like 90°, but a "sliding waterfall" :D
I'm jealous of people who actually played the demo :p (yeah, Clara, damn you :rasp: )
Well I clearly am not the only one and many others are going to have that chance too. I can't wait to read more reactions, maybe their description will be clearer than mine, although I can't see how much clearer I can be about this waterfall thing... :/

I'm not. I was invited to a private demo hands-on :p
When?! Can you talk about it? :D

Driber
3rd Oct 2011, 12:55
When?! Can you talk about it? :D

No, top secret classified information :naughty:

Seriously, though, it'll be similar to the private event you went to. But I'm not going. A big part of me would love to play the demo, but an even bigger part of me hates spoilers.

I rather be WOW'ed when the game will be released, and properly play it.

a_big_house
3rd Oct 2011, 18:31
No, top secret classified information :naughty:

Seriously, though, it'll be similar to the private event you went to. But I'm not going. A big part of me would love to play the demo, but an even bigger part of me hates spoilers.

I rather be WOW'ed when the game will be released, and properly play it.

I'LL GO!!! :D

d1n0_xD
3rd Oct 2011, 18:46
^ Me too :whistle: :D

aang001
9th Oct 2011, 21:56
They take her to an island and remove her ability to swim...
So they took away her age, history, breast and ability to swim...if it didnt look so amazing from the e3 demo, Id have no faith in them. Better be on par with Uncharted 3 or they might be in trouble.

LadyRufina
9th Oct 2011, 22:03
Well I don't know if you're new to the TR franchise but if you are you'd understand that we don't want TR to be 'on par' with Uncharted 3 as TR began over 10 years before that game and TR shouldn't have to try and compare itself to Uncharted 3 at all.

larafan25
10th Oct 2011, 02:55
Well I don't know if you're new to the TR franchise but if you are you'd understand that we don't want TR to be 'on par' with Uncharted 3 as TR began over 10 years before that game and TR shouldn't have to try and compare itself to Uncharted 3 at all.

Tomb Raider should be comparing itself to Uncharted 3 for all of the reasons you've just stated.

Both games are here and now, both are action adventure and competing. Tomb Raider should be at least on par with Uncharted's quality level.

Driber
10th Oct 2011, 06:56
So they took away her age, history, breast and ability to swim...if it didnt look so amazing from the e3 demo, Id have no faith in them. Better be on par with Uncharted 3 or they might be in trouble.

aang001, we don't know yet if they actually "removed" her swimming ability or if there simply aren't any places on the island to swim.

LadyRufina
10th Oct 2011, 08:56
And they specifically said - and I quote: "No fully submerged swimming, meaning that she can probably swim but just not underwater which I can live with.

Tomb Raider should be comparing itself to Uncharted 3 for all of the reasons you've just stated.

Both games are here and now, both are action adventure and competing. Tomb Raider should be at least on par with Uncharted's quality level.

I just don't think TR should even be trying to 'compete' with Uncharted. It has no need to be in the same league. So what, they're similar. Too similar. With Uncharted they just thought they'd make more money if they copied TR and just make a man as the main character because there's more of a market. That's why I don't like Uncharted.

a_big_house
11th Oct 2011, 09:30
@Driber YOu should totally change it so that if the word 'Uncharted' is posted that swear word emoticon should appear :D

But on a more serious note, I don't think Tomb Raider should be 'comparing itself to Uncharted' since Uncharted is just Tomb Raider with too many guns and a willy :rasp: I dislike the idea that Tomb Raider should take notes from a game that has no past, it should be that Tomb Raider is on top and Uncharted stays far behind.

But getting back to the point of the thread... Thining about it, I think Lara's abilty to swim will be the exact copy of GTA4's Niko... He can go underwater for a moment if his momentum is high enough but cannot actually swim beneath the surface... Tis a shame, I was looking forward to having to swim into an underwater temple.

dark7angel
11th Oct 2011, 09:46
We can deny it all we want, but the truth is Uncharted is doing things right! It's on top, great sales, great reviews, it's popular! Uncharted is where TR once was! So yeah, TR may have been along for longer, but I think that's actually part of the problem! TR hasn't changed much during it's run and people just wanted something new, and Uncharted came around!

Now with the reboot, TR has a chance of shining again!

I'm a fan of both series and honestly I think the two can coexist, and some healthy competition between the two may push them both to keep improving their game!!!

Elliot Kane
11th Oct 2011, 11:47
Uncharted won't even make my radar unless they make a PC version,so it's no competition at all from MY POV.

Not that it's a competition anyway, it has to be said. Regardless of how good or bad Uncharted might be, I want Tomb Raider to be a fantastic Tomb Raider game, not an Uncharted clone.

d1n0_xD
11th Oct 2011, 18:23
We can deny it all we want, but the truth is Uncharted is doing things right! It's on top, great sales, great reviews, it's popular! Uncharted is where TR once was! So yeah, TR may have been along for longer, but I think that's actually part of the problem! TR hasn't changed much during it's run and people just wanted something new, and Uncharted came around!

I'm a fan of both series and honestly I think the two can coexist, and some healthy competition between the two may push them both to keep improving their game!!!

Yeah, Uncharted really is a great game... Guess I'm a sucker for this action/platforming stuff, my fav games are Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, and now I'm really beginning to like Uncharted too :D

But, like you said, I think with this reboot, TR will and should be back on its feet ^^

LadyRufina
11th Oct 2011, 18:32

The only reason Uncharted does better than TR is because the lead has male genitalea. 'Nuff said :rolleyes:

d1n0_xD
11th Oct 2011, 18:40
^ Well, that's the only thing you can put in a game, a male or a female, if it was a female, this TR/UC war would be even bigger. You can't put a dog as a protagonist :p The reason why I liked Uncharted when I saw some videos for the first time was incredible voice-acting, it' just amazing! :eek: I already said I'm a sucker for action/platforming/puzzle games :D

dark7angel
11th Oct 2011, 18:42
The only reason Uncharted does better than TR is because the lead has male genitalea. 'Nuff said :rolleyes:

While Lara Croft IS Tomb Raider, I would say Nathan Drake isn't Uncharted. Uncharted is much more than just the male lead.

@d1n0_xD - You are so right! The voice acting in Uncharted is really fantastic! The characters themselves are very compelling, but the voice actors give them a whole new life! Definitely some of the best voice acting on video games (imo)!

LadyRufina
11th Oct 2011, 18:44
^ Well, that's the only thing you can put in a game, a male or a female, if it was a female, this TR/UC war would be even bigger. You can't put a dog as a protagonist :p The reason why I liked Uncharted when I saw some videos for the first time was incredible voice-acting, it' just amazing! :eek: I already said I'm a sucker for action/platforming/puzzle games :D

That's what I'm saying. Uncharted is a copy of TR with a male lead which gives it more sales because the gaming industry would rather play a man.

LadyRufina
11th Oct 2011, 18:46
While Lara Croft IS Tomb Raider, I would say Nathan Drake isn't Uncharted. Uncharted is much more than just the male lead.

I'm not saying it isn't. I'm just saying people would rather play a male, American lead as a pose to an English lady because there's more American male gamers than any other group.

dark7angel
11th Oct 2011, 18:48
That's what I'm saying. Uncharted is a copy of TR with a male lead which gives it more sales because the gaming industry would rather play a man.

Uncharted only looks like a copy of TR, mostly for those who never gave it a try! It was my opinion before playing it. But after giving it a try, I now think they are not so much alike like I used to assume!!! Uncharted is more than just a TR copycat with a guy!

LadyRufina
11th Oct 2011, 18:52
Uncharted only looks like a copy of TR, mostly for those who never gave it a try! It was my opinion before playing it. But after giving it a try, I now think they are not so much alike like I used to assume!!! Uncharted is more than just a TR copycat with a guy!

Well I've played the game too and it's just too similar for comfort IMO.

Ants_27_
11th Oct 2011, 18:57
Well I've played the game too and it's just too similar for comfort IMO.

Ah, I have been thinking when this conversation would come up.

The fact is that TR is a 'direct' copy off Indiana Jones really, if it were a game that is. No Dr Jones, no Lara.

But that point of uncharted being a copy isn't really valid anymore as the new game seems to be taking from most games on the market, just like every other game on the market.

As for swimming, I've never really gone "I want a swimming level" I just take levels as they come so for me it's not too much of a problem.:D

dark7angel
11th Oct 2011, 19:00

The fact is that TR is a 'direct' copy off Indiana Jones really, if it were a game that is. No Dr Jones, no Lara.

But that point of uncharted being a copy isn't really valid anymore as the new game seems to be taking from most games on the market.

As for swimming, I've never really gone "I want a swimming level" I just take levels as they come so for me it's not too much of a problem.:D

Exactly! Everyone takes inspiration from something! Uncharted may have taken inspiration from TR (personally I think that, like TR, it took more inspiration from Indy!) but the end result is a very different game and experience!!!

LadyRufina
11th Oct 2011, 19:01

But that point of uncharted being a copy isn't really valid anymore as the new game seems to be taking from most games on the market, just like every other game on the market.

TR sub-consciously took ideas off Indiana Jones at the start. Toby Gard didn't mean to but the developers pointed that out for him when he sent the idea off. TR is much less like Indiana Jones than Uncharted is like TR anyway.

LadyRufina
11th Oct 2011, 19:04
Exactly! Everyone takes inspiration from something! Uncharted may have taken inspiration from TR (personally I think that, like TR, it took more inspiration from Indy!) but the end result is a very different game and experience!!!

For starters TR is a video-game franchise and Indiana Jones is a movie franchise so if you were to compare them then the only thing you could base your evidence from is plot and character which is completely invalid because most games take indirect plot and character ideas from movies. For example: Mafia II = The Godfather (ok, book first, but still it was a big film series too.)

Ants_27_
11th Oct 2011, 19:05
Plus, Uncharted is always going to have (in some respect) the better production, easily. Simply because Naughty Dog are the original creators, there's no divide between 'Old Drake', ha (makes me think of Old Snake) and new drake. Naughty Dog haven't rebooted and haven't pulled at their characters and essentially made them conflicting.

EDIT - Your correct, Indy is a film franchise (a bloody good one) but the point is that Tomb takes just as much as every game franchise does.

LadyRufina
11th Oct 2011, 19:12
Plus, Uncharted is always going to have (in some respect) the better production, easily. Simply because Naughty Dog are the original creators, there's no divide between 'Old Drake', ha (makes me think of Old Snake) and new drake. Naughty Dog haven't rebooted and haven't pulled at their characters and essentially made them conflicting.

EDIT - Your correct, Indy is a film franchise (a bloody good one) but the point is that Tomb takes just as much as every game franchise does.

Neither did TR for the first 3 installments. Assassin's Creed will get a mini-reboot after this one comes out. Most action/adventure games get them and Uncharted definately will sooner or later. And i'm not saying TR doesn't take ideas from games or films because it does, just not as vivid as Uncharted does...

Ants_27_
11th Oct 2011, 19:18
But I doubt Naughty Dog or Ubisoft will reboot to the extent of TR (there's really no need) I doubt they'll rip things apart and leave them to become two separate things.

That's my main concern with the series. I don't think they can fix it and for me characters are one of the most important aspects, I don't feel they're real I don't become immersed. Uncharted on the other hand might technically reboot (changing the gameplay) but I doubt they'll change anything about the universe.

EDIT - I seriously can't spell. :lol:

LadyRufina
11th Oct 2011, 19:26
But I doubt Naughty Dog or Ubisoft will reboot to the extent of TR (there's really no need) I doubt they'll rip things apart and leave them to become two separate things.

That's my main concern with the series. I don't think they can fix it and for me characters are one of the most important aspects, I don't feel they're real I don't become immersed. Uncharted on the other hand might technically reboot (changing the gameplay) but I doubt they'll change anything about the universe.

EDIT - I seriously can't spell. :lol:

Well Assassin's Creed are changing the timeline, plot and character. If i'm not mistaken I think they're changing gameplay slightly too. Maybe Uncharted won't need to change to the extent of TR because the gamers won't get bored of the character because he's a man and that is that.

I'm not saying this is the only case at all because it is far from that but overtime a lot of the male market for Lara got bored and grew out of her big boobs a buttock leaving a massive down-slide in takings. Of course lack of versatlility and game length added to it's downfall but my first point is a contributing factor.

Male gamers have no care for Drake's look or buttock size because they don't care about that, just that he is an American male so is most appealing to the bigger chunk of the market.

LaraCroftFanForever
12th Oct 2011, 06:40

You do know? Lara breast were never meant to be that big in tomb raider games espeically in tomb raider 6 angel of darkness.

At first I was disappointed about them removing the whole swimming thing from Tomb raider reboot but as one of the poster say Lara will still get to swim just not underwater and if you're skipping getting tomb raider reboot because they made few changes and remove few things then it your lost

as for me I'm still getting tomb raider reboot because I still be loyal fan of tomb raider

LadyRufina
12th Oct 2011, 12:54
^ I 100% agree. If all you liked TR for was for her breasts then get Uncharted 3 and post in their forums instead IMO.

Lara_Fan_84
12th Oct 2011, 17:24
^Yes this is not an Uncharted forum please let's talk about TR.

Anvie
12th Oct 2011, 19:12
I don't know why but this thread is often off-topic :D

During Sunday, God didn't rest, he permitted Lara to Swim

So we can conclude that removing swimming is profane :D

Scion_Powered
18th Oct 2011, 21:20
I will miss swimming but I guess it makes water a great thing to jump over.

a_big_house
19th Oct 2011, 06:44
/\ It's better to jump in :)

Cheeky_Charlie
21st Oct 2011, 10:18
You do know? Lara breast were never meant to be that big in tomb raider games espeically in tomb raider 6 angel of darkness.

At first I was disappointed about them removing the whole swimming thing from Tomb raider reboot but as one of the poster say Lara will still get to swim just not underwater and if you're skipping getting tomb raider reboot because they made few changes and remove few things then it your lost

as for me I'm still getting tomb raider reboot because I still be loyal fan of tomb raider

Exactly! It was a big mishap for Lara to get her boobs so big in the beginning. Like Toby Gard said it himself, it was an accident, but on the otherhand I think that without Laras big boobs on the cover and in the ingame FMVs a lot of guys in their early puberty would not have bought the game, maybe?

And like you, I´m still going to buy TRreboot because I´m a hardcore TR fan :D

Lara_Fan_84
21st Oct 2011, 13:14
^ I still find it weird how it can be an "accident" in every game.

Valkyrie_C
21st Oct 2011, 15:20
^ I still find it weird how it can be an "accident" in every game.

Lol, I agree ! Game developers put their fantasies in their games, and a badass woman with big guns and big boobs is the dream of a lot of men...

Driber
21st Oct 2011, 21:20
Back to Lara's boobs again, are we? :lol:

d1n0_xD
21st Oct 2011, 22:14
^ It's the only constant in TR discussions :D

Jerion
14th Nov 2011, 12:47
^ It's the only constant in TR discussions :D

THIS IS NOT TRUE. There's also the Summer Glau versus Olivia Wilde debate. :rasp:

Elliot Kane
14th Nov 2011, 16:52
THIS IS NOT TRUE. There's also the Summer Glau versus Olivia Wilde debate. :rasp:

Ah, the 'who is least suitable to play Lara' debate. Indeed! :D

Both completely wrong in every way, so no need for that debate really... :D

LadyRufina
14th Nov 2011, 19:37
^ Agreed. TR is a millions times better than Uncharted 3 and Summer Glau and Olivia Wilde are both unsuitable for Lara Croft. My point is final. I am the dictator and I don't want to hear the words 'Uncharted 3' uttered in this forum ever again :cool:

d1n0_xD
14th Nov 2011, 20:39
Uncharted 3 :p

dark7angel
14th Nov 2011, 21:11
Uncharted 3 :p

*high five* Uncharted 3 is awesome!!! :cool:

IvanaKC
14th Nov 2011, 21:14
*high five* Uncharted 3 is awesome!!! :cool:

Oh, you two are traitors! Lara came first! :cool:

dark7angel
14th Nov 2011, 21:54
Oh, you two are traitors! Lara came first! :cool:

In fact, Indy came first!!! :p

Seriously though, I still love Lara and nothing is going to change that, but that doesn't stop me from acknowledging how awesome Uncharted is!!! :cool:

d1n0_xD
14th Nov 2011, 22:12
@Ivana, true that, Lara is first to me :D But all I'm saying, I'm not a hater, Uncharted is a great and fun series, so why not play it and enjoy it? Rather than pointing out why TR or Uncharted is better, I can enjoy both games and really not give a damn :D I'll always be a fan of TR and Lara but that doesn't mean I can't like Uncharted just because those 2 are, like, some rival games. Don't take this wrong, y'all, I'm just proving a point here that those fights/wars are pretty meaningless. It's like all those MW3/BF3 wars, I love MW, mostly beacuse of its multiplayer, I never played BF but I know those are great series too and will try 'em out sometime :D You know, just enjoy the games :D
Here's a picture of what I'm trying to say:

Hey, I just noticed this is a thread about not swimming in the new game :p

Edit: I see me and dark7angel share the same opinion :D

dark7angel
14th Nov 2011, 22:22
Edit: I see me and dark7angel share the same opinion :D

Indeed, I agree with you! :thumb:

IvanaKC
14th Nov 2011, 22:37
*facepalm* You two do know I was joking, right? Just like most of us here, I play all kinds of games and although we are on Tomb Raider forums, I'm not ashamed to admit that TR series isn't my only favorite series. I am a fan, just no a hardcore one.

And Dino, when it comes to choosing between games, of course people have different tastes but I stand by your side: everyone should play all kinds of games. :)

And by the way, wasn't his thread about swimming or something...:D

Elliot Kane
14th Nov 2011, 23:01
Unless Uncharted finally charts its way across to PC, it will remain uncharted, to me! :D

LadyRufina
14th Nov 2011, 23:26
It's not that I don't want people to play Uncharted, I don't really care but I don't like it when people keep comparing it to TR and saying 'I wish TR has graphics at least close to Uncharted' and 'TR needs to have shadows like Uncharted.' I don't know why but it just bugs me. I know TR is taking some inspiration from other games like assassin's creed but they're little things unlike what Uncharted did. Oh dear I just said the 'U' word...

d1n0_xD
15th Nov 2011, 07:02
*facepalm* You two do know I was joking, right?

Haha, I know, I know, just wanted to point some things out XD

I don't like it when people keep comparing it to TR and saying 'I wish TR has graphics at least close to Uncharted' and 'TR needs to have shadows like Uncharted.'

Yes, that can be annoying... I'm not really a 'graphics' guy, I'm more interested in gameplay and storyline, so when someones says that, I just ignore it xD You know, these kinds of games have similar gameplay, so of course they're gonna be compared, but the whole graphics thingy... Some people are obsessed xD

Unless Uncharted finally charts its way across to PC, it will remain uncharted, to me! :D

Haha, yes, that's true, but I've managed to play couple of levels of U3 at my friend's and I saw the gameplay on YT and it's ok... But it seems the puzzles aren't difficult at all xD Don't quote me on this, I just saw couple of levels XD

dark7angel
15th Nov 2011, 11:03
I admit that for me graphics are important, but of course they are not the only aspect of a game that matters. Story, characters and gameplay play a huge part in the game experience. The thing with Uncharted IMO is that it combines this elements perfectly and keeps improving from one game to the next. The Uncharted games are great examples of storytelling at it's best, rivaling with movie productions. And as with any movie or game, the visuals help you get immerse in the story! Uncharted is not perfect, there's still room for improvement, but I know the guys at Naughty Dog will keep improving their game!

When I say TR should take some inspiration from Uncharted (which I don't remember saying in these forums but it's something I believe would be a good thing), I'm not only referring to graphics, but the whole experience! Of course I don't want TR to be just the same as Uncharted! What I would like is for TR to find its own formula (which can't be the same of previous games because that formula doesn't work anymore, hence the reboot) - with improved gameplay mechanics, story and graphics, resulting in a gaming experience that rivals that of Uncharted!

Driber
16th Nov 2011, 11:30
lol and back to Uncharted. We really, REALLY need a dedicated thread for this :lol:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=123588

Let's continue the recent Uncharted discussion there and get back to swimming in this thread :D

BTW, anyone wants to have that new thread on their name? I'm already having loads on mine and prefer to see a bit more variety, hehe.

First come, first serve.

LadyRufina
16th Nov 2011, 15:19
How do you get it on your name?

Driber
16th Nov 2011, 15:22
Simply by saying "aye" ;)

LadyRufina
16th Nov 2011, 15:36
aye :D

Lara_Fan_84
16th Nov 2011, 19:21
aye aye aye :rasp:

Driber
16th Nov 2011, 21:40
aye :D

It is done :)

Now, back to swimming.

I have to ask, why are so many people so keen on having Lara swim through water in this next game?

Underwater levels have frustrated me more in the past games than they have been an enjoyment :whistle:

LadyRufina
16th Nov 2011, 21:47
I think it's just because Lara has always swam before and it's the fact that it will seem a little weird her being on an island and not being able to swim. I can understand if it's in a pyramid but not an Island. I'll be happy if she could swim but not fully submerged like they said but I hope that she'll be able to have some contact with swimming at some point in the game. Either way i've learned to live with it as CD are doing it for our best interest and if they believe that Lara swimming in the game is more of a hinderance to the experience, then I respect their decision.

dark7angel
16th Nov 2011, 21:48
Underwater levels didn't frustrate me but I don't think they have to be a must. I'm ok with not having Lara swimming in the reboot!

d1n0_xD
16th Nov 2011, 21:55
^ Agreed :D

Elliot Kane
16th Nov 2011, 23:09
Driber,

I think it's three things:

1. Swimming has always been in every TR game so far. So it's tradition.

2. Swimming is one of the things that makes TR unique. No other game character has the same kind of relationship with water, as it were.

3. The swimming levels can quite often be a pain, it's true, but they represent a different kind of challenge to any Lara faces on land. This kind of puzzle/challenge variation adds enjoyment because it's so different. Variety is good.

I'm perfectly happy to be open-minded about it myself, and to judge the new game on its own merits, but there's no denying that Lara's normal semi-aquatic nature adds to the sense that she's a fearless, confident and capable adventuress.

QiX
16th Nov 2011, 23:12
I always loved underwater levels, when you're not attached to the ground the exploration gets a whole new dimension, literally. Following a bidimensional maze is just as easy as the right-hand rule: touch the wall and follow it. In a 3D environment you have to explore every possible passage carefully for you don't get lost or don't miss a relic or artifact. Add to it the time limit of Lara's breath, the deeper you go the riskier it gets. I love it as I love challenges, I do hope that this young Lara learns how to swim ASAP. Being in an island and tied to the ground is a disappointment to me. So much water all around, see the wasted potential?

Emig5m
15th Feb 2012, 16:38
I always loved underwater levels, when you're not attached to the ground the exploration gets a whole new dimension, literally. Following a bidimensional maze is just as easy as the right-hand rule: touch the wall and follow it. In a 3D environment you have to explore every possible passage carefully for you don't get lost or don't miss a relic or artifact. Add to it the time limit of Lara's breath, the deeper you go the riskier it gets. I love it as I love challenges, I do hope that this young Lara learns how to swim ASAP. Being in an island and tied to the ground is a disappointment to me. So much water all around, see the wasted potential?

Agree.

Lord Martok
15th Feb 2012, 19:55
Agree.

+1

Metalrocks
16th Feb 2012, 03:55
It is done :)

Now, back to swimming.

I have to ask, why are so many people so keen on having Lara swim through water in this next game?

Underwater levels have frustrated me more in the past games than they have been an enjoyment :whistle:

i do agree i do hate swimming levels as well. especially underwater levels. but i was ok with it in "underworld", since lara had diving gear on and therefor dint had to worry to catch air all the time.
some swimming is alright and i think the way it was implemented in "underworld" was just right. so as in "legend".

but despite me hating swimming and underwater levels, even i have to join the group that swimming should be in tomb raider.

Driber
16th Feb 2012, 09:02
^ If we're comparing games, then I'm more a fan of classic swimming. The new controls are just awkward to me and it doesn't play as smoothly as with TR4, for example.

The classic games had the problem with slanted walls/floors, though. Just a little angle and Lara would get stuck in them.

Because of this I think the AoD swimming was the best to date. Once you get used to the controls, that is.

1xPRZO0rVD4&start=155

Look how smoothly she swims through all those obstacles. She's like a fish in water there :D

IMO, this method is much better than the latest games' "press X to ascend and press O to descend in water" :s

Metalrocks
16th Feb 2012, 10:50
on the pc it is pretty simple as well, move mouse up for ascending, move mouse down for descending. worked pretty well for me in legend, anni and underworld or other games.
AoD had really bad controls and many glitches and bugs. but the shooting and swimming worked well but not the rest.

Driber
16th Feb 2012, 11:14
Well then I guess you were lucky you got to play it on PC then, hehe.

Swimming in the newer games was annoying for me on the playstation.

I guess it was inversely the same thing with AOD - bad to play it on PC, but enjoyable on the PS2 (at least to me).

Metalrocks
16th Feb 2012, 12:36
some games are better with a controller. but for reaction or general playing, M&K are still the best.
i could not play the newer TR games (or any games on the PC) with a controller.

Emig5m
16th Feb 2012, 13:53
some games are better with a controller. but for reaction or general playing, M&K are still the best.
i could not play the newer TR games (or any games on the PC) with a controller.

That's weird. I think Tomb Raider feels much better using a controller (I use an Xbox360 controller on my PC) and I come from a background of playing the most hardcore mouse & keyboard fast paced twitch shooters online on the PC (Unreal Tournament series) that are definitely mouse & keyboard only, heh.

First person shooters are so painful for me to play on a console with a controller. When I first got my 360 I was like no way can I play these shooters on this thing. My boss even bought me Call of Duty for the 360 so that I could play with him but I never played it other than trying the demo beforehand, lol. The only FPS I could stomach on the console with a controller was Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. It actually didn't have too bad of a feel with a controller but I still wouldn't bother playing competitively online in a million years with a controller.

On the PC that gives you the option for both I'll normally try each way and just pick which one feels better overall with the game. With Tomb Raider there's no real precision aiming but I find it beneficial to be able to walk/run at different speeds with the analog stick. So in some ways, a controller gives you more overall control in a game like Tomb Raider. I did use mouse & keyboard in GTA IV and Gothic 4 though... I go either way depending on the game... and obviously racing (MX vs ATV Reflex) and arcade games (Street Fighter IV) you'll want to use a controller.

Metalrocks
16th Feb 2012, 14:14
yes, fighting games like tekken, street fighter etc, are sure controller games. there, the M&K fails.
but i had no problems what so ever with tomb raider using M&K. i tried it out once using a PS2 controller and just had problems with walking, looking around, shooting... the whole lot.

i still remember when my friend gave me the controller to play max payne 2 on the PS2 and i coulndt even hit the first enemy. i was too busy starring at the ceiling and the floor.
even when i played halo on the xbox with a friend. he was even standing in front of me and i still coundt aim at him.
so yeah, im really bad with controllers. :whistle:

Lord Martok
16th Feb 2012, 17:23
The swimming aspect was one of my favorite things about past Lara Croft games.

Lara_Fan_84
17th Feb 2012, 14:39
Underwater levels didn't frustrate me but I don't think they have to be a must. I'm ok with not having Lara swimming in the reboot!

Same here. I know some people don't like it now but they will probably forget about it as they play the game.

TheBlade
17th Feb 2012, 14:53
It's her first adventure, she doesn't know how to swim. She's not learnt yet lmao.

Lord Martok
17th Feb 2012, 20:16
It's her first adventure, she doesn't know how to swim. She's not learnt yet lmao.

Almost sounds like Anij from Star Trek Insurrection:

PICARD: You mean to tell me that in 200 years of living, you never learned how to swim?

ANIJ: I just never got around to it.

:D

LadyRufina
17th Feb 2012, 20:41
No she'll definately know how to swim. For one, it is compulsory to learn how to swim in English primary schools and second she would not have been allowed on the expedition if she didn't know how to swim for basic health and safety reasons. The reason why there's no swimming in this game is because there's 'no need for it,' apparently.

Lord Martok
17th Feb 2012, 21:18
Ironic too, considering she is on an island. HA HA HA! :) Of course, if the island is in the middle of nowhere, to where could she swim?

Also, is it that she is nowhere, or simply now here? :D

LadyRufina
17th Feb 2012, 21:24
Well she is in a Bermuda Triangle-esque part of the world so maybe the currents are too powerful for her to swim against them. That's the only logical explanation I can think up to give a reason for her not to swim. I understand why CD won't let her swim but it would seem stupid in-game.

Driber
21st Feb 2012, 09:40
No she'll definately know how to swim. For one, it is compulsory to learn how to swim in English primary schools and second she would not have been allowed on the expedition if she didn't know how to swim for basic health and safety reasons. The reason why there's no swimming in this game is because there's 'no need for it,' apparently.

I'm pretty sure that TheBlade was only joking, LadyR ;)

LadyRufina
21st Feb 2012, 13:18
I'm pretty sure that TheBlade was only joking, LadyR ;)

Really? It's hard to understand cyber-sarcasm :rolleyes:

Driber
21st Feb 2012, 13:45
Well, usually the inclusion of "laughing my ass off" is a dead give-away of it not being serious :whistle:

BTW, no one said anything about sarcasm. A joke isn't necessarily sarcasm.

mrskurtistrent
26th Mar 2012, 00:49
:( It is such a big part of the games! I mean... a woman's heart is an ocean of secrets! :) that's where most things have been lost and are meant to be found!

DamianGraham
27th May 2012, 17:03
Back to Lara's boobs again, are we? :lol:

For some reason this single comment made me LOL

temirlan
3rd Jun 2012, 19:33
pitifully but it would be desirable that in the new game of лара floated

chip5541
3rd Jun 2012, 19:49
pitifully but it would be desirable that in the new game of лара floated

лара = Lara

Looks like the translator isn't getting the sentence completely correct but I get what he is trying to say.

TranceTrouble
3rd Jun 2012, 19:52
hehe i have the same here Chip, something wrong with translating it from Russian to English i guess

LaraCroft1990
24th Jun 2012, 11:47
omg really? they should kept that in the game! i loved the swimming bits :) lol

LR Croft
26th Jun 2012, 23:29
I didn't like the fact that they removed it at all and I still don't understand why.

Lara_Fan_84
3rd Jul 2012, 00:41
There's already a 50 page thread on this already. I say 50 pages as a joke because it's been going on for a while so it's a joke.

Since this is an entire new Tomb Raider game maybe they wanted to go with something we don't traditionally see in a Tomb Raider game. I personally don't mind the change. I'm sure when we're playing the game we don't even notice or care.

CamberGreber
4th Jul 2012, 06:15
Swimming is a must Crystal please include it.
Underwater swimming is 1 of the things that makes TR original.

Hardly any games have underwater segments anymore.
Now another one bits the dust :(

LaraCroft1990
4th Jul 2012, 13:02
please keep swimming in the game/games to come, gotta love underwater parts. :)

chip5541
4th Jul 2012, 14:01
Since we are dealing with a younger Lara, it is possible she does not know how to scuba dive yet. No real reason after all she is just starting to learn her skills and as mentioned in the interviews, not about swimming though, this is like a day one. Lara is becoming the Lara we all know but she is not there yet.

LaraCroft1990
4th Jul 2012, 14:08
oh yeah thats true, next year just need to hurry up now as i really wont to play it! :D

MagnaBass
17th Dec 2012, 22:42
oh yeah thats true, next year just need to hurry up now as i really wont to play it! :D

So do I

oldboy2003
17th Dec 2012, 23:30
I dont mind Lara not swimming as long as i dont feel like im missing out, but i think that when lara walks through the water there is something eerie, makes you feel like something is going to pull her under

ItsAdventureTime
18th Dec 2012, 00:38
I dont mind Lara not swimming as long as i dont feel like im missing out, but i think that when lara walks through the water there is something eerie, makes you feel like something is going to pull her under

I feel the exact same way, I mean I know all the other games included swiming, but this Lara is "inexperienced" so I doubt that she would be able to swim for long...unless we were to find an oxygen tank on the island...:lol:

MagnaBass
18th Dec 2012, 01:53
Technically up to her neck in water is swimming.

ItsAdventureTime
18th Dec 2012, 01:56

This.....this is true...;)

Metalrocks
18th Dec 2012, 07:24

not really. im a swimming instructor and i have some kids who never swam in their lives. as soon the water is deeper as them selves, the sink like a rock. sure, they move their arms and all, but their feet are still on the ground and to swimming instructors, lifesavers and the swimming association, thats not swimming.
australia takes swimming very seriously that in my state (NT), swimming is a must for every kid by law.

The_Hylden
18th Dec 2012, 08:48
She had to have swam to have made it to the Island in the first place off of her wrecked boat. So, there was pre-game swimming involved :p

Shaikh
18th Dec 2012, 15:26
What if, this Tomb Raider actually has in-game swimming? :scratch:

What if Crystal left this announcement for a surprise? :scratch:

What if they say Lara learns to swim because she has to drown in the water many times in first few hours. Then she can swim after few hours into the game. I mean we haven't seen at least 80% of the game yet. :)

Tombs, Exploration, Puzzle-solving, Platforming, Dual Pistols & Swimming are all the backbone of Tomb Raider. What if they kept Dual Pistols and Swimming as surprise. We just saw the supernatural element presents in Tomb Raider just a few days ago. :)

IO Interactive announced David Bateson as Agent 47's VA in Hitman: Absolution just about a month before the game release. This could be Square Enix's marketing strategy. :D

larafan25
18th Dec 2012, 15:30
I think the last feature they're announcing is....

MULTIPLAYER

Though I really think a full swimming mechanic will be present in the next game. UG. I would looove a hub with a lake, surrounded by tall mountains with villages in the mountains, but you can dive into the lake and find ruins and side tombs, and swim up into air holes and discover cave systems.

SWIMMING.

Driber
18th Dec 2012, 15:59
She had to have swam to have made it to the Island in the first place off of her wrecked boat. So, there was pre-game swimming involved :p

:lol: