PDA

View Full Version : Impressions about the New Tomb Raider...

shingouki
7th Jun 2011, 13:36
Hello everyone, this is my first time on the forum and this is also my first time caring about a Tomb Raider game! I played Tomb Raider 1 and 2 when I was really young, and played the demos of some of the later games...and I always got stuck lol. The puzzles were too hard so I kind of gave up and brushed the series aside. Now that the new Tomb Raider is coming out...I'm extremely intrigued.

I watched E3 yesterday with some specific games that I was looking forward to watching: Skyrim, Uncharted, Final Fantasy...etc. But the thing that surprised me most was this game. The new Tomb Raider really blew my mind away...It looks and feels so real, and it makes me feel like a part of what's going on. The atmosphere from the graphics is really good, especially the little details like the blood on her clothes and skin, and the ash from falling debris.

But what really did it for me is the atmosphere that Lara creates as she explores the atmosphere. She talks to herself, limps realistically and trips and stumbles due to the pain. Normally you'd expect when a video game character gets hurt, they always just "walk it off" lol. But I could really feel the pain as she explored and connected me with the character. Especially when she talked to herself too, it was really nice when she walked past hitting the noise chimes and went "Oh...that was loud..." Little stuff like that is too huge!

Also the little variations in the size of the cave were amazing too! The flooded area was amazing, and the swimming in that small area looked too good. Plus, the variation in how she crawls through a crevice: Turning sideways for one crevice, crouching down for another, the detail is just phenomenal. People were complaining about the moaning, but I totally disagree. It feels natural and realistic and I hope they keep it. When you're in pain, you're gonna moan and grunt no matter what, especially when you have to exert yourself and worry about survival.

Anyway the immersion in the trailer was amazing to me and I hope they keep up this direction. I haven't felt this immersed watching a game since Heavy Rain. The only thing I thought was kind of lame/out of place was how the enemies popped out of nowhere as she ran by. It wasn't really scary or anything just like someone coming up from the side and saying "BOO!!!" when you're at work. It's surprising for a second and then you just ignore them. But the atmosphere of the game, the immersion of the character and her personality, her realistic reactions, and everything else make this look like the best game at E3 so far. It singlehandedly turned me from a person who glossed over Tomb Raider, to a day 1 buyer.

What do you guys think though? Since many of you are Tomb Raider fans you probably know tons more about the history of the game and have certain feelings about where it should be going....What do you think about the game? What are your Impressions?

angelus0901
7th Jun 2011, 16:27
Do you know that there is a forum about the new TR? Right here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/forumdisplay.php?f=290). I'm sure mods will move it there anyway...

The trailer is amazing. I love it. I watched the demo and also loved it, and it reminds me a bit of Alan Wake... The atmosphere, the not knowing what will jump at you... Love it.

I can't wait to see more. Welcome to the forums. We need another TR fan. ;)

Driber
8th Jun 2011, 10:15
Welcome to the forums, shingouki :)

I moved your thread to the TR9 forum.

TheGildedOne
3rd Aug 2011, 19:15
where is the TR9 forum?!?

Driber
3rd Aug 2011, 19:26
^ You are in it right now :lol:

angelus0901
3rd Aug 2011, 19:47
^ You are in it right now :lol:

Haha! :lol:

Silvermoth
4th Aug 2011, 10:04
lololololololol

Holden_
4th Aug 2011, 10:34
I love everything about it, except the fact that in the gameplay demo, she announced absolutely everything she did and talked constantly. There were so many yelps and moans and whatnot... I get that she's in an intense situation, but the talking and noises were a bit too over-the-top for me. It got annoying.

d1n0_xD
4th Aug 2011, 11:02
Hey, I have an awesome idea for everyone who got annoyed by the "moaning" :D Turn your speakers down (or at least the voice volume in the game options) :D *Hallelujah playing in the background*

sierra xb
5th Aug 2011, 04:41
But what really did it for me is the atmosphere that Lara creates as she explores the atmosphere. She talks to herself, limps realistically and trips and stumbles due to the pain. Normally you'd expect when a video game character gets hurt, they always just "walk it off" lol. But I could really feel the pain as she explored and connected me with the character. Especially when she talked to herself too, it was really nice when she walked past hitting the noise chimes and went "Oh...that was loud..." Little stuff like that is too huge!

Also the little variations in the size of the cave were amazing too! The flooded area was amazing, and the swimming in that small area looked too good. Plus, the variation in how she crawls through a crevice: Turning sideways for one crevice, crouching down for another, the detail is just phenomenal. People were complaining about the moaning, but I totally disagree. It feels natural and realistic and I hope they keep it. When you're in pain, you're gonna moan and grunt no matter what, especially when you have to exert yourself and worry about survival.

I know exactly what you mean...like when she fell on the spike, i swear that my side hurt for 15 minutes just thinking about it :) The cave details are very realistic as well. I have spent some time exploring caves and old mines (including a couple that were full of water) and the game does actually give you some of the feeling fo being inside one...and that was just from watching the demo on a 17" computer screen. Can't wait to play it on a 40 inch lcd :) I also have no problems with Lara talking to herself like she did. I was in a situation once where I was out hiking and got caught out after dark with no flashlight...I ended up talking to myself after about 20 minutes or so just to have something to do. :P

Silvermoth
5th Aug 2011, 09:53
I love everything about it, except the fact that in the gameplay demo, she announced absolutely everything she did and talked constantly. There were so many yelps and moans and whatnot... I get that she's in an intense situation, but the talking and noises were a bit too over-the-top for me. It got annoying.

I agree.

RosePetals
5th Aug 2011, 14:40
@shingouki: Welcome to the forums. It's nice to have another new TR9 fan. :)

Yes, I especially like how she moves through small crevices. Oh, and how she moves her torch towards the direction she's looking at -- it's as though Lara issn't made out of polygons anymore. The new game made her so freakishly human it's mind-blowing.

I just hope Crystal Dynamics keeps it up until the later part of the game. (You know how some game developers sort of rush things during the endgame and omit the little character details they put in the beginning.) :)

Mick2412
5th Aug 2011, 18:07
@shingouki. Welcome to the forums. Always great to see new people on here. Glad to see the new game has got you back into TR. I am really exited by the new direction of the series, the 3PS gameplay, darker vibe and such incredible detail on the trailer. I then look back at the banner and see the new look Lara and it kills it a bit. She doesn't look enough like Lara from the other games and has non of the usual Lara trademark style. Rather dissapointing on that bit. I just so much want to see more of the Lara from over the years emerge with things like finding duel pistols.

I know what you mean about TR1 being hard. It is an epic game especially so for it's time but also such a chalenging game too. The remake Tomb Raider Anniversary is a good one to try to get the feel of TR1 without as much of the difficulty or vastness of the original. Whilst TR2 is my fav of the series I would say Legend might be a good one to try to get into TR before the new TR.

Lara_Fan_84
18th Aug 2011, 22:07
I have a feeling this game will make you feel for Lara more than any other game. She is not quite the Lara we know and she's going to show more emotion and have injuries and stuff but she's going to try to tough it out. I hope this game will make us love Lara even more.

GoggleboxUK
22nd Aug 2011, 19:10
I quite like the moaning, it's realistic.

If I'd just survived a shipwreck and found myself in those circumstances I'd be doing a lot more moaning than that!

...and crying

...and shouting for my mummy.

:D