PDA

View Full Version : Is Tomb Raider (2012) a Prequel, Reboot or Partial Reboot?

Dogfight
3rd Jun 2011, 16:37
Yeah I am confused on what the Tomb Raider (2012) game is exactly. I have heard from the official information that it is a prequel to the previous Crystal Dynamics' video games as it has the same voice actress from those games that played Lara Croft and it is done by Crystal Dynamics. However some official information also says that it is a reboot due to it going in a new direction with the gameplay, however it doesn't say it will ignore the stories of the other games. It is also possible that this is a partial reboot like the new X-Men: First Class film which ties to the other films as a prequel but also changes a few things. Does anyone have a direct answer?

Pietras
3rd Jun 2011, 16:40
Full 100% reboot, not connected to any of the previous adventures. It takes place in its own universe. The voice actress is brand new.

Dogfight
3rd Jun 2011, 16:48
Actually the voice actress isn't new and there is official information that this serves as an origin prequel story.

Do you got a link that says different?

Ants_27_
3rd Jun 2011, 19:05
Well it acts as a prequel to Crystals games and is the basis of the reboot. So yes it'll be a different game, probably set within the same universe but only in a distant corner. So its both really, a prequel and a reboot. Whether it will link to later stories in games after this one is probably unknown.

But it's a reboot as you'll receive a different game from Crystal, containing obviously the main character but a change in game play and overall direction. So yep, a new voice actress, Mrs Hawes jumped ship after GOL and here we stand:

kAT3iT6CdGA

WinterSoldierLTE
3rd Jun 2011, 22:54
Yeah after reading the article about it in Playstation Magazine, I'm calling it an origin story that will lead to other stories set either before the previous games, or in a new universe entirely. Either way, THIS game seems like the origin tale. Which I can see why they didn't just flat out say "Yeah, it's the origin story" if it does in fact lead to an alt universe, but at the same time, it could've prevented alot of unwarranted bickering/debating amongst fans (not meaning on THIS site) and cleared up alot of confussion if they'd just said "Yeah, it's the origin story." right from the get go.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
3rd Jun 2011, 23:53
It's a prequel and partial reboot for sure. It's about how Lara became the great explorer we know. Something maybe akin to Batman Begins but for Lara. All the other adventures (TR1-TRU) do happen but this is before all those except the black isle levels.

LC is Me
4th Jun 2011, 01:11
It's a prequel and partial reboot for sure. It's about how Lara became the great explorer we know. Something maybe akin to Batman Begins but for Lara. All the other adventures (TR1-TRU) do happen but this is before all those except the black isle levels.
I agree.

I would say partial reboot, only because it is an origins story, and they basic original elements are still there: parents are dead, she has to learn to do things (raiding wise) for herself.

Pietras
5th Jun 2011, 04:06
Actually the voice actress isn't new and there is official information that this serves as an origin prequel story.

Do you got a link that says different?
You don't hear it's a new voice? :confused: If you can't, go on Karl's twitter and read his confirmation this is a new voice.

And where's this 'official confirmation' this is an 'origin prequel story'? If you want link, post yours first.

I agree.

I would say partial reboot, only because it is an origins story, and they basic original elements are still there: parents are dead, she has to learn to do things (raiding wise) for herself.
Her parents are alive in TReboot. This is different continuity/universe than the previous games.

AdobeArtist
5th Jun 2011, 06:57
I would say it's a reboot along the lines of a reimagining. It's not really a prequel, but more simply that as a starting point of a whole new series, chooses to begin with the event which made Lara into what she's to become, rather than from the point in her life where her career and reputation were already established, as was the case with the previous series.

I would also conjecture that they'll keep to enough of the staples of what we previously knew of Lara, but only in basic themes, not specific timeline facts.

By that I mean after this chapter, she'll return to civilization, and upon reclaiming her estate, will be the master of her manor, along with the other trappings of her aristocratic heritage, while also becoming a world reknowned adventurer/archeaologist - basically retaining the same basic background but not going into the exact set of events (scion of atlantis, dagger of xian, excalibur, mjolnir, etc..) of her life after the transforming event.

So this should be the Lara we knew before, with the familiar qualities albiet updated to be relevant to modern times and standards in gaming story telling, set in a new history that has no relation to the previous story arc.

Natla
6th Jun 2011, 05:51
It's a rebootie.