PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda Triangle

Jurre
2nd Jun 2011, 11:08
So from the screenshots and conceptual art we know that LC's ship is stranded on some island that lies full of other shipwrecks and downed planes, some of the ships being hundreds of years old, others modern. Clearly there is something that causes these ships to strand on that island and then the sailors are being killed by monsters.

Now I was thinking about this and it actually sounds exactly like the Bermuda Triangle. Why does it take place on a Japanese island and not there? I can't help but think that the involvement of the Japanese company Square Enix has something to do with it...

But would it not be better if this was the Bermuda Triangle? It's actually based on something real - an urban myth probably, but even so - and if they made a fun story about space aliens being responsible for all of this we could have LC shooting aliens instead of weird long-heared creatures with treebranches for fingers that nobody knows anything about...

Obviously they're not gonna change it so far in development, but I wonder what you guys think...

brand.seph
2nd Jun 2011, 12:00
The Bermuda's Triangle is near the Carribean.

I think the sea that your looking for is " The Dragon's Sea. "
Check it out on Wiki, that part. sea is near Japan.

a_big_house
2nd Jun 2011, 12:03
Somewhere on the Tomb Raider Forums someone used the numbers on one of the screen shots from the trailer and it turns out that they are co-ordinates to an area inside the Dragons Triangle ;)

Jurre
2nd Jun 2011, 12:12
The Bermuda's Triangle is near the Carribean.

I think the sea that your looking for is " The Dragon's Sea. "
Check it out on Wiki, that part. sea is near Japan.

I think you misunderstood. I say I know the game takes place near Japan, I think it should be in the Bermuda triangle - at least I think that would be better...

dark7angel
2nd Jun 2011, 12:49
Basically there is a pacific ocean version of the Bermuda Triangle called the Devil's Sea or the Dragon's Triangle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Sea

Why do you think it would be better if the story took place in the Bermuda Triangle and not in the Devil's Sea??? I really don't understand!

I find it more interesting that it takes place in the Devil's Sea because 1) is not as well known as the Bermuda Triangle so it gives it a bigger sense of mistery and 2) the Japanese culture and mythology is very reach and they can tie it with the island!

And personally I don't find the addition of aliens into the story that interesting!

Jurre
2nd Jun 2011, 12:53
Why do you think it would be better if the story took place in the Bermuda Triangle and not in the Devil's Sea??? I really don't understand!

Personal opinion. I like it better when it is well known and I am more into sci-fi than the Japanese culture...

dark7angel
2nd Jun 2011, 12:58
Personal opinion. I like it better when it is well known and I am more into sci-fi than the Japanese culture...

I just don't think sci-fi fits into a TR game... it was pretty much what ruined the last Indiana Jones movie for me! So I really prefer they stick with mythology and not aliens!!! :p

LC is Me
2nd Jun 2011, 13:13

But the Bermuda Triangle...is pretty generic.
=/
Everyone knows about it or has heard the stories.

Driber
2nd Jun 2011, 19:20
I just don't think sci-fi fits into a TR game...

pfft, bollocks!

Floating islands, Area 51, alien autopsy, spaceships. Know your classics, buddy :p

dark7angel
2nd Jun 2011, 20:55
pfft, bollocks!

Floating islands, Area 51, alien autopsy, spaceships. Know your classics, buddy :p

Just because they were there doesn't mean I found them fitting!!! :rasp: Don't get me wrong, I like sci-fi stuff, but when it comes to Tomb Raider (or Indiana Jones like I said before!) it doesn't feel right to me! :o

Greenas
2nd Jun 2011, 21:41
I just don't think sci-fi fits into a TR game... it was pretty much what ruined the last Indiana Jones movie for me!

I actually really enjoyed that Indiana Jones movie. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was a wonderful movie in my opinion

Ants_27_
3rd Jun 2011, 08:23
Just because they were there doesn't mean I found them fitting!!! :rasp: Don't get me wrong, I like sci-fi stuff, but when it comes to Tomb Raider (or Indiana Jones like I said before!) it doesn't feel right to me! :o

I'll stick up for ya.

I agree.;)

Driber
3rd Jun 2011, 09:45

Sci-fi isn't just "aliens". Nearly all TR games in the past had many sci-fi elements in them. To say you don't like sci-fi in TR would the parallel to saying you don't like TR period :p

WinterSoldierLTE
3rd Jun 2011, 09:48
Yeah I dunno. I go back and forth on the "Sci-Fi in TR" thing. I like sci-fi, so I'm not anti sci-fi or anything, but sometimes it can feel out of place. The only sci-fi-ish thing that really struck me as "Ok, now they're just grasping at straws for things to do" in a TR game was the floating islands in TR2. EXTREMELY out of place in the overal vibe of that game/story, IMO. I mean seriously, what was up with that? Did she drop a few tabs in a cutscene that was removed from the game right befor that level or something? It was just... too weird and out of place. Tho I suppose one could argue it's more fantasy or mystical then sci-fi, but yeah. My opinion on it's still the same.
I dug the Area 51 levels in TR3 tho. For some reason it seemed fitting to me that she'd go have a lookabout in there (even if there wasn't a piece of meterorite she was looking for in there). I think a person like her would actually be drawn to it for some reason. Like a "I MUST know what's in there!" instinct or something, even if she doesn't have a "I want to believe" poster hanging in her office. I think it's when she breaks out a Tricorder that I'll be going "Ok, THAT'S too much." and have a real issue/complaint about sci-fi in TR.

As far as Indiana Jones goes... well, crystal skulls are real, so I saw that whole flick as being (for lack of a better term) fairly realistic tho I'm 100% sure Lucas took a few liberties with the mythology/history of them. I'm no crystal skull expert tho, and haven't really studied up on them much so I'll not get into it too much. But we're on the internet, so we all can have a look into them if we're curious and decide for ourselves. But that movie still sucked regardless for one reason: Shia LeBouf.

Jurre
3rd Jun 2011, 10:16
Hasn't Erich von Däniken written dozens of books explaining how Atlantis and all the ancient civilisations were created by visitors from outer space? All nonsens of course, but I thought that the idea had become a well-known thing in popular culture.
That is why I didn't understand why people hated the aliens in Indiana Jones 4 so much. Sure, you can turn against the bad CGI-animals, the nuclear blast-proof refrigerator, the Russian-hating monkey's, the giant ants, the Tarzan scene, and most of all Shia LeBeouf! But the aliens??

Silvermoth
3rd Jun 2011, 10:21
Yeah because aliens are too easy. The way they were used in Indiana Jones is..."why is that thing like that" "because aliens did it". It's a dissapointing cop out thematically.

WinterSoldierLTE
3rd Jun 2011, 10:24
I do remember years ago reading a theory by someone (could have been Daniken, I don't remember. Been too long.) that the only way the Myans, Aztecs, and ancient Egyptians all had and built pyramids was due to alien guidance. Something along the lines of "3 different cultures that had nothing to do with one another ALL building the same types of structures". Not something I'm gonna go deep on 'cos it's just been too long and my memory is fudgy (I could be wrong about the 3 cultures I mentioned, actually. I THINK those were the 3 tho.), but interesting nonetheless.

dark7angel
3rd Jun 2011, 18:34
Yeah because aliens are too easy. The way they were used in Indiana Jones is..."why is that thing like that" "because aliens did it". It's a dissapointing cop out thematically.

This! This is exactly how I feel about it! :thumb:

Same thing with those "experts" saying that the pyramids were built by aliens! I find it much more fascinating that a human civilization had the ability to build something so great that it still fascinates us in the present!

Danielsun_
3rd Jun 2011, 19:28
i dont mind aliens providing it isnt used in the typical grey/green alien big black eyes and a large head to a tiny skinny body, just doesnt strike me as something..pratical.
that said im not a fan of the emo girls with long nails, that seems bland boring and too much like the ring, something a bit more imaginative would be nice.

Hopefully if they are included in the game they won't be the primary 'bad guys' looking forward to playing this game albeit we have little to go on but it looks promising

WinterSoldierLTE
3rd Jun 2011, 22:47
This! This is exactly how I feel about it! :thumb:

Same thing with those "experts" saying that the pyramids were built by aliens! I find it much more fascinating that a human civilization had the ability to build something so great that it still fascinates us in the present!

Yeah, I agree about the Aliens building the pyramids thing. I personaly think that's a load of bollocks, and that they were in fact built and designed by human beings. It's still an interesting theory, but not one I personaly buy in to.