PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Screensaver

emp1re
1st Jun 2011, 00:05
Hello Eidos Team,

I am interested to see if there is a way to allow my 'Anniversary Edition' to become a screen saver in itself. Let's face it, running the game's engine is absolutely striking and is better than anything (i.e. Nvidia demos/screensavers) I've seen currently in the marketplace.

Is there a way to allow and/or run the engine within, let's say the 'waterfall' scene as a screensaver via my steam license?

Any answers or leads to help find a meaning to this end would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Emp1re

Driber
1st Jun 2011, 12:12
You want the whole game engine to boot up whenever you don't touch your mouse for a few minutes? That sounds like a very unpractical thing.

emp1re
1st Jun 2011, 18:53
You want the whole game engine to boot up whenever you don't touch your mouse for a few minutes? That sounds like a very unpractical thing.

Noways, with systems holding at least 8 Gig of RAM, it doesn't seem impractical anymore. If that is what it would take, then yes.

The NVIDIA screensaver engines have the same effect, generating environments and pan through them. I simply love the beautiful settings that TR encapsulates and would like to do the same thing as you would find similar to again, the NVIDIA screensavers.

Here, you can see what I'm talking about:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cool_stuff.html#/screensavers

WinterSoldierLTE
1st Jun 2011, 21:53
Wow that's pretty cool. Lemme know if you find a way to make it work. I came across a desktop Lara on a fansite once tho. If I remember right it's a screen saver where Lara basically runs around on your desktop and climbs on your icons and whatnot. Never had the courage to install it tho (partial fear of getting a virus as well as how much space it'd take up), so I couldn't tell you for sure. And sadly, that was last year sometime, and I've long forgotten which fansite it was on.

emp1re
2nd Jun 2011, 00:03
Wow that's pretty cool. Lemme know if you find a way to make it work. I came across a desktop Lara on a fansite once tho. If I remember right it's a screen saver where Lara basically runs around on your desktop and climbs on your icons and whatnot. Never had the courage to install it tho (partial fear of getting a virus as well as how much space it'd take up), so I couldn't tell you for sure. And sadly, that was last year sometime, and I've long forgotten which fansite it was on.

Smart move WinterSoldier. Yeah, I would think that Eidos can make something work by writing an addition to their software for solo distribution and/or steam distro. That would be my hope. The screensavers from NVIDIA are nice and give me the impression that this can be done. The scenery within the games (especially the waterfalls) really grab my eye to where I don't want to continue the game, just gaze. I feel that such a thing would create new buzz and also provide additional benefits for TR fans.

WinterSoldierLTE
2nd Jun 2011, 21:50
Yeah definately. Would be cool, for sure. Would also be cool if maybe they released an unpdated version of the Level Editor (hint hint nudge nudge, Eidos.).

Driber
2nd Jun 2011, 22:35
Not gonna happen.

emp1re
3rd Jun 2011, 02:50
Not gonna happen.

Booooooooooooooooooo!! :rasp:

Driber
3rd Jun 2011, 13:06
Don't boo me, I myself would love a new editor :p