PDA

View Full Version : Please don't dumb down Hitman Please don't dumb down Hitman

numinous
14th May 2011, 14:08
Please don't dumb down Hitman Please don't dumb down Hitman Please don't dumb down Hitman Please don't dumb down Hitman Please don't dumb down Hitman Please don't dumb down Hitman Please don't dumb down Hitman Please don't dumb down Hitman Please don't dumb down Hitman Please don't dumb down Hitman

PLEASE

Please do not create a cover-based shooter with some "hitman" set pieces.

Please do not include regenerating health.

Please do not make an easy mode violent cutscene generator to satisfy today's childish and easily frustrated playerbase.

Please do not use awful console players to play test and balance the game.

Please do not assume a "Stealth Master" difficulty will make up for inherit gameplay devolutions such as regenerating health, cover system, press-A-to-win gameplay.

PLEASE DO THE HITMAN SERIES JUSTICE

MAKE A STAND!

Madubu
14th May 2011, 15:41
Thats some true desperation right there, i doubt IO would risk screwing this franchise up but im still a bit worried since apparently BM didnt sell very well?

Just look at Ubisoft, they ruined Splinter Cell and now all they make is Assassins Creed.. bah!

GrievousOdyssey
14th May 2011, 16:15
If we're going to continue behaving like this i'm going to suggest that IO shouldn't take any more glances into this forum ...

I mean fans will always be fans , always with a wishlist and a strong opinion , but never once have i seen a game sequel that obtains a unanimous praise from its community ...

Of course the developers must be aware at some point of what the fans want , but they'll still make the game they want to make , i mean it's not we're the ones funding for this game , are we ? ...

In the end , we should just be pleased enough with our old favorite games ...
That's one thing they can't take away ...

And here probably lies Grievous , lynched by hungry fans ...

ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
16th May 2011, 22:21
Press X to kill all baddies on screen.

LEVEL UP!

JackGordon
16th May 2011, 22:45
Press X to kill all baddies on screen.

LEVEL UP!

Master Sergeant Shooter Person!

Rindill the Red
17th May 2011, 03:13
If we're going to continue behaving like this i'm going to suggest that IO shouldn't take any more glances into this forum ...

I mean fans will always be fans , always with a wishlist and a strong opinion , but never once have i seen a game sequel that obtains a unanimous praise from its community ...

Of course the developers must be aware at some point of what the fans want , but they'll still make the game they want to make , i mean it's not we're the ones funding for this game , are we ? ...

In the end , we should just be pleased enough with our old favorite games ...
That's one thing they can't take away ...

And here probably lies Grievous , lynched by hungry fans ...

And yet IO has had a stellar track record with staying true to the original while constantly improving on design and mechanics.

ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
17th May 2011, 21:28
Master Sergeant Shooter Person!

Sergeant Of The Master Sergeants Most Important Person of Extreme Sergeants. To The Max!

18th May 2011, 05:29
Please do not include regenerating health.

Regenerating Health especially seeing the way the health is in this game. 47 can easily run through bullets and kill everyone but if they had regenerating health, lets say like that of Rainbow Six Las Vagas than it would be even more of a challenge. The health bar is find but I like regenerating health because you don't have to worry about finding health. The past hitman games were really bad in that they don't give you any extra health or first aid and it takes forever for 47 to die.

German
18th May 2011, 18:42
You don't need health if you're a Silent Assassin

Which is why I hope and pray they don't change the basic stealth formula to much , but add to it.

Maybe bundle a copy of MW2 with it so action fans can enjoy the game to.:cool:

action fans? I thought stealth was a fun action to perform?

oh well I'm a stealth fan and nobody likes me anymore or wants my $$$

Deus_Ex_Machina
20th May 2011, 03:14
i mean it's not we're the ones funding for this game , are we ? ...

The purpose of ANY business = $$$

Customers provide $$$

Make a product that customers want = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Make a product that customers DO NOT want =

http://lparchive.org/Daikatana/Images/1-114387468_DaikatanaLogo-735868.jpg

jtr7
23rd May 2011, 09:53
Don't want dumbed-down games? Don't buy dumbed-down games, and send a loud-and-clear message to the developers and publishers with a glaring absence of money. Yeah, it sucks not buying games that could've been fun but are dumbed-down, but that's exactly what it will take. And with a measly 8+ million people out of 6.8 billion buying those dumbed-down games, and many of them sneering at those who don't want dumbed-down games, the companies have zero reason to care, even if individual employees personally agree with us. It's the only way. Don't buy it, don't install a copy by any means, never play it, and learn to be good at sniffing out the dumbed-down elements you don't like and never reward a company for it. Good luck, eh?

JackGordon
23rd May 2011, 10:51
Don't want dumbed-down games? Don't buy dumbed-down games, and send a loud-and-clear message to the developers and publishers with a glaring absence of money. Yeah, it sucks not buying games that could've been fun but are dumbed-down, but that's exactly what it will take. And with a measly 8+ million people out of 6.8 billion buying those dumbed-down games, and many of them sneering at those who don't want dumbed-down games, the companies have zero reason to care, even if individual employees personally agree with us. It's the only way. Don't buy it, don't install a copy by any means, never play it, and learn to be good at sniffing out the dumbed-down elements you don't like and never reward a company for it. Good luck, eh?I'm Dog Man and I approve this message.

Kent-45
24th May 2011, 02:33
How the hell do you dumb down a sandbox game like this. It's either as dumb or as smart as you choose to play it.

Rindill the Red
24th May 2011, 03:43
How the hell do you dumb down a sandbox game like this. It's either as dumb or as smart as you choose to play it.

The game doesn't have to be sandbox.

jtr7
24th May 2011, 04:42

Easy. I take it you want a detailed list of examples? Dumb doesn't always mean "easy", for starters.

maikaal
27th May 2011, 11:00
Hitman has never been a sandbox game and thank god for that.

racooon
27th May 2011, 12:59
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/new-game-engine-brings-hitman-absolution-to-the-masses/

This is the cause of the commotion, especially the 'more accessible' comments.
I am still hopeful for a great sequel to Blood Money, but I am worried.

auric
28th May 2011, 14:00
launch a nuke on ur feet to kill everyone around but u don't get hurt. Don't even need to activate any "God-Mode"

from X-Com: Enforcer
:D

TheWoodsieLord
30th May 2011, 10:35
If they dumb it down and make it easier, I definitely won't be buying it. Blood Money was a masterpiece, a work of art, and so was Silent Assassin.

I think there is one thing that very few developers understand. If you make an easy and unrealistic way to do things, and a challenging/realistic way, the guys who choose the latter are going to feel unimmersed and the experience will be diminished. I don't want to choose to do things professionaly, I don't want to choose not to get seen, I want to be forced into it! Being unprofessional should make things harder, not easier!

So, no "streamlining", no "awesome button", no regenerating health, no takedown moves. That's about it.

Veum
30th May 2011, 10:51
This game is doomed already, and it breaks my heart because the hitman series are my alltime favourite games. I almost cried when i read that interview.

R.I.P Hitman!

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/new-game-engine-brings-hitman-absolution-to-the-masses/

I don't belive a single word he is saying about staying true to the hardcore fans, it probably means there will be a hardcore mode that turns of the tooltips and that's it.

31st May 2011, 05:45
Hitman has never been a sandbox game and thank god for that.It depends on what you mean when you say sandbox.

R.I.P Hitman!
R.I.P wtf!!! How about we just wait tell June 7 when we get that gameplay footage. We have no idea what the games going to be like and people are already saying its dead. I keep hearing splinter cell conviction this and splinter cell that but what they got to do with Hitman.

Mobius32
31st May 2011, 18:59
“The Hitman games of past have been very hardcore,” said Tore Blystad, game director at IO Interactive. “Even though the fantasy of the Hitman universe has a very universal appeal, the games have been so difficult to play, that it’s been more of an acquired taste. The biggest challenge that we had with this game was to make it much broader in every sense, so that it was easier to play and more accessible, but still retain a very strong, hardcore side as well. We don’t want to alienate any of our fans who have been extremely loyal for so many years.”

It’s been five years since the iconic bald assassin, known only as Agent 47 in the franchise, has gone on a virtual mission. During that time, the game studio has created brand new technology to bring a more cinematic interactive story to life. A story that turns the table on the hunter and has 47 pursued by the police and the agency he previously worked for.

Sounds a LOT like Splinter Cell Conviction

Irate_Iguana
31st May 2011, 21:12

Isn't it amazing how that statement manages to tick every box on the "we're-going-to-rape-this-game-until-you-can't-recognize-it-anymore list"? We can only hope that E3 brings us good information.

JackGordon
31st May 2011, 21:40
Blystad responded to this (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-31-io-clarifies-hitman-absolution-difficulty).

"Reduce frustration and reloads and such things. Obviously, this will allow more people to play the game where they would turn it back to the store after two hours because it became to hard or too punishing too quick. But core fans will be able to enjoy the game the same way they did earlier."

If all of this is optional then there's no reason to panic.

3rd Jun 2011, 07:29
A story that turns the table on the hunter and has 47 pursued by the police and the agency he previously worked for.
That last point that you got in bold sonds more like Contracts than Conviction.

So, no "streamlining", no "awesome button", no regenerating health, no takedown moves. That's about it.
Of coure no "streamlining".

Awesome button? u gotta have at least one awesome button because when 47 about to die it goes into slowmotion. 47 gets three head shots and gets to come back. Wouldn't that work better as a "aswsome button"? I don't know.

No Regenerating health? As it stands now 47 can take alot of hits, so if they added regenerating health it wouldn't hurt none.

No Takedown moves? But don't 47 already got that in Blood Money. Do you mean you don't want a one hit takedown that you get in the other popular stealth games?

If they dumb it down and make it easier, I definitely won't be buying it. Blood Money was a masterpiece, a work of art, and so was Silent Assassin.
Silent Assassin was the game

I don't want to choose to do things professionaly, I don't want to choose not to get seen, I want to be forced into it! Being unprofessional should make things harder, not easier!To be for real I gotta just come out and say that blood money was already "dumb down" to make the game easier. Out of the last three Hitman games Blood Money has been my least favorit because when you get caught all the guards run straight into your face making them extremely easy to kill, that don't happen in the other hitmen. Put blood Money in your game console or whatever and get a disguise and run up to a guard and run circles around him. I must of ran circle around that guard twenty time before he pulled out his gun. My point is that the game is not that challenging its always been easy to mass murder and your only consequence for being unprofessional is an ulgy ass mass murder ranting.

BigBoss
4th Jun 2011, 21:50
Don't really understand why a cover system is such a bad thing. I've never seen vids from war of soldiers just standing out in the open or idiots just standing around when I go paintballing, it's realistic and natural for people to seek cover and whether it's a "tap A to touch the wall" or simply wedge your character behind it, you're using COVER....... but health regen is retarded.

Shifty Pete
7th Jun 2011, 19:13
Hello everyone. I am a long time fan of Hitman and I would be very disappointed if Hitman 5 is "dumbed down" in a sense, or made easy.

I never really had a problem with The series' difficulty (probably because i started from an early age) but, after trying to get my friends interested in the Hitman games, I realise that it needs to be "more accessible".

When i say "more accessible", I DO NOT mean make the overall game easier. What I mean is that there should be more tutorials gradually showing the player each part of how the game is played.

My friends couldn't enjoy hitman because they weren't really taught the control scheme properly (this is blood money by the way) and they kept failing, plus they didn't know what to do. Eventually they got past the tutorial level (mainly because the game was holding their hand the whole time, telling them what to do) but on the actual missions they were stumped, they had no clue where to start.

Are my friends dumb or is the game not teaching them how to play? Probably a bit of both.

Blood money had a great system with how you could buy Intel on the mission which would give you hints of what to do. I think Absolution should extend on this but not make it too easy buy just buying all the intel, maybe encourage them to spend it on weapons like Blood money did.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

TL;DR: Don't make the game easier, make the tutorials (and maybe the control scheme) better

I've seen some talk on regen health and cover systems. Regen health is a no-no, but I like the idea of a cover system. NOT a shooter-based cover system like in, say, GTA 4 - But a stealth-based cover system. Stick to walls and peek around corners, hide behind crates, etc.

Most of that is possible with the current control scheme, but it should be made more fluent and smooth, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

numinous
8th Jun 2011, 15:29
Well, they dumbed it down. Worse than even I could have predicted.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433126

I don't have any words.

Thanks for killing another series.

Commander Shepard
8th Jun 2011, 17:32
I remember reading that you can turn of all that instinct mode casual stuff.
I'll wait and see because i still have hopes.

toad
9th Jun 2011, 10:31
I hope they will "undumb" the game so to speak. They dumbed it down when Diana started to talk during briefings. I mean come on, are people to lazy to read these days or maybe they just can't read at all??

auric
9th Jun 2011, 11:15
I hope they will "undumb" the game so to speak. They dumbed it down when Diana started to talk during briefings. I mean come on, are people to lazy to read these days or maybe they just can't read at all??

That personally is to make it more personal & real.
we can read, but it gets boring. If games never talk, might as well stick to game books.

Also, other games will overshadow hitman because HM is not willing to "move on"

& for multi-taskers, we dun have to waste time reading & just listen while doing something else. :D

so many reasons, including just plain lazy. :D

Irate_Iguana
9th Jun 2011, 13:23
Also, other games will overshadow hitman because HM is not willing to "move on"

Oh yes, the vast amount of stealth games available these days makes the HM franchise look like a relic from the past. We're practically drowning in stealth games that manage to advance the tech in all directions.

Kvltism
9th Jun 2011, 13:40
Thanks for killing another series.

C'mon, man. We haven't even had the chance to see the game in action yet. Maybe the devs manage to offer the best of both worlds: a hardcore Hitman experience for those who want/crave it, and... something a bit easier (eg: Instinct system) to initiate people that are new to Hitman; get their feet wet.

It's a bit early to scribble an obituary.

auric
9th Jun 2011, 14:45
Oh yes, the vast amount of stealth games available these days makes the HM franchise look like a relic from the past. We're practically drowning in stealth games that manage to advance the tech in all directions.

Not just stealth games, any shooter that involved mission briefing.
or basically anything that needs reading.
:D