PDA

View Full Version : Lara Croft Facebook page age restriction

Natla
7th May 2011, 08:18
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150168488811710

Lara Croft fans,

After several years of our Lara Croft Facebook page being open to all age groups we sadly have to start making changes in order to bring our media channels in line with age restricted content guidelines.

As your all aware our upcoming Tomb Raider title will be rated M for Mature. This means that we need to amend the current age restriction for our Lara Croft facebook page to 17+.

This restriction change to our page is scheduled to take place at 12:00am PST, May 25th 2011.

Sorry to have to do this to all our Lara Croft and Tomb Raider fans under the age of 17, but unless we make these changes we will no longer be able to post any content relating to Tomb Raider.

Best

@crystaldkarl

Thank goodness they haven't got an upper age limit.

I wonder if Tomb Raider fans under 17 are grateful for the efforts to protect them from nastiness?

a_big_house
7th May 2011, 09:11
im certainly not grateful... why do i have to be one year younger :( oh well
tbh its not that much of a difference, theres more info on here than on facebook

WinterSoldierLTE
7th May 2011, 11:38
I say good call on their part. But I'm of the opinion that there should be an age limit for Facebook (and possibly the 'net as a whole) itself, so take that for what it's worth.

LC is Me
7th May 2011, 14:45
I say good call on their part. But I'm of the opinion that there should be an age limit for Facebook (and possibly the 'net as a whole) itself, so take that for what it's worth.

I don't agree on the age limit for the whole net, but as far as an age limit for FB, I agree.

Raider126
7th May 2011, 22:04
Bring on the gore!

I'm against this.

If you "liked" the page then obviously you want to hear about the series and therefore the upcoming game. In America, the mature rating for games is 17. In the UK the mature rating for games is 15. If they really needed to have a restriction they should have just have it at 15, after all Lara was created in the UK and that's also where Eidos is.

Furthermore fans under 17 will be able to get around this anyway by just simply creating a new account, so it doesn't really do anything.

There's also a lot of fansites which are owned by fans who are now blocked from the page. I've had my site for almost three years now and it's seen through Tomb Raider Underworld (it's two downloadable titles) and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. A lot of my TR friends also do vlogs, fanfiction, fanart, and own websites are also being cut off from the page too.

It gives the impression, and I'm sure it isn't true and isn't their intension, that Crystal is limiting their fanbase and not focusing on their fans.

LC is Me
7th May 2011, 22:25
It gives the impression, and I'm sure it isn't true and isn't their intension, that Crystal is limiting their fanbase and not focusing on their fans.
Or that they are being responsible and try their best to do their job as developers when it comes to who views the violent content and how?

Who is the first person a distraught parent points to over the content in a game?
Not themselves but the developers.
Tough toenails. This isn't about limiting their fanbase. This isn't about tossing the fans out. It doesn't even matter that people can just make another FaceBook account or that people could ultimately share the info on their own personal fan sites (which we all know will happen either way; there are plenty of "of age" TR fans). It's about CD and Square stepping up and establishing their own sense of responsibility so that any upset, ignorant parent only has themselves to blame should they find what their child plays offensive.

You should already know that people will post whatever is shared in the FB page somewhere else. This shouldn't even be a concern.
Besides, they are only going with the US rating because they wouldn't exactly be complying with the ESRB should the go with the 15 rating in the UK. 17 covers both spectrums.

Greenas
11th May 2011, 21:19
In America, the mature rating for games is 17. In the UK the mature rating for games is 15.

Maybe they should make a compromise and make the worldwide mature rating 16.

Ah well PEGI rates everything here 18+ so I guess it really doesn't matter. I'm glad for the mature rating though, it allows for so much more depth.

Driber
12th May 2011, 10:03
L:ara Croft Facebook page age restriction

Fixed the thread title for you ;)

Angy1996
12th May 2011, 10:56
-.^ age limit??? come on how will i learn news about the game??? i would like to start saing bad things but i respect the forum :@@@@@ im 14 i love lara and im all the day in facebook trying to get to that page and it simply don't let me!!!! :@@@@@@

Driber
12th May 2011, 11:04
how will i learn news about the game???

Just stick around here, you don't need Facebook :p

Trust me, as soon as there is any kind of news on TR9, it is always soon posted here ;)

SE_Cath
12th May 2011, 11:51
Well, about that, I was just wondering if this forum shouldn't be age-restricted as well :p For example, we want to debate about Lara's lines from the leaked script, but we can't say **** because it is censored. It is a line in the script though... Maybe it would be consistent?

Driber
12th May 2011, 13:32
This forum is age restricted; it's 13+ ;)

Not all Eidos games are rated M, so this forum is suitable for teens starting at the age of 13.

I'm sure you can discuss things while keeping it appropriate for younger members. We have managed fine so far.

SE_Cath
13th May 2011, 14:49
I agree that it is possible, I was just wondering if it wouldn't be more consistent, as it is the case for the FB page, for this very Tomb Raider™ forum to be 17+... if we'd ever wanted to discuss rather graphic death scenes, etc. I'm fine both ways anyway :)

Driber
15th May 2011, 07:00
No, we'd have to make the whole Eidos forum 17+, cutting off a lot of people.

Well, I think just discussing a graphic death scene would be fine, depending on how it is done. But do consult the text with me (or any other member of the staff) first before posting please, just to be sure :)