PDA

View Full Version : Lara's sexuality?

RoombelinaUK
25th Apr 2011, 10:40
I've played through nearly all of the Tomb Raider games, yet I've never seen Lara show any sort of attraction towards any of the other characters, male or female. Yes, there was plenty of sexual tension between her & both Larson and Kurtis but that doesn't mean she's necessarily attracted to men, women, or both. Sexuality can define a person; and since Crystal are obviously attempting to further "define" Lara as a human being, I think that's somewhere they need to give more attention. Now, I'm not suggesting a sex scene, or nudity of any sort, but perhaps a better, more refined representation of her orientation & examples of how it affects her as a teenager struggling for survival in TR...:D

chriss_99
25th Apr 2011, 11:28
Lara's sexuality, in the way you perceive it, was never displayed in TR games because it was unnecessary. I don't see why should we explore or elaborate this part of Lara's personality.
It has been said many times that nudity, sex scenes or any other eroticism doesn't suit Tomb Raider. In my opinion, it would be awkward to add any of the above to the game.

Ants_27_
25th Apr 2011, 12:01
It has been said many times that nudity, sex scenes or any other eroticism doesn't suit Tomb Raider. In my opinion, it would be awkward to add any of the above to the game.

Ah, but if you treated it like we treat TV before the Watershed we have in the UK then your not going to get any of that. After all, all 'sex' and 'nudity' do are reinforce the physical side of relationships --something to which I or you don't want to see. That's my more deeper side. :lol:

Although, I hope there are going to be deeper relationships within the game though. And yes, by relationships I don't mean necessarily boyfriend, girlfriend, more a mix of all the generally complicated stuff in between: friendships and whatnot.!

RoombelinaUK
25th Apr 2011, 12:20
Now, I'm not suggesting a sex scene, or nudity of any sort, but perhaps a better, more refined representation of her orientation & examples of how it affects her as a teenager struggling for survival in TR...:D

I never said anything about including sex or nudity as an addition, but I wouldn't mind if it were....:)
Anyways, I was just wondering that's all. Apart from the Tomb Raider films, I've always viewed Lara as a bland, sexless "superhero"... sexual attraction is sometimes a weakness, and like they say, a flawed character is a great character...

Natla
25th Apr 2011, 12:30
Lara's sexuality, in the way you perceive it, was never displayed in TR games because it was unnecessary. I don't see why should we explore or elaborate this part of Lara's personality.

Lara always was and always will be sexy. If CD are going for "real world" instead of "cartoony" then teen Lara, is she's anything like most teens, will be at least thinking about sex. Quite a lot.

RoombelinaUK
25th Apr 2011, 12:34
Lara always was and always will be sexy. If CD are going for "real world" instead of "cartoony" then teen Lara, if she's anything like most teens, will be at least thinking about sex. Quite a lot.

:thumb:

AdobeArtist
25th Apr 2011, 14:28
Sexuality itself is a fairly broad term, so it might be best to elaborte on all that it encompasses, which I think falls into 3 ctegories;

Sexual Interaction: This is the most obvious that forst comes to most people's minds when the word is brought up. The actual act of sex itself and other forms of physical intimacy.

Sexual Image: The perceived image we see in a person, usually based on style and presentation (what they wear), as well as a concept of personality. Simply put, when we comment that Lara is sexy, or beautiful if you prefer.

Emotional Context: This is the part least discussed, as it pertains to what's under the surface. Related to the first point (sexual interaction) the feelings and connections one person makes with another, where an emotional connection leads to a physical one.

Now seeing how these apply specifically to Lara, her Image is the most well known. She has a fantastic body (even in the new redesign) so it's inescapable that she is often perceived as being sexy. And of course in past games she's always been dressed to complement her physique with a mix of curve hugging and how much skin was shown.

Yet despite that I'm sure we can all agree that this was not your typical attention seeker behavior as what you find with some immature girls who define their self esteem on gaining the approval of others.

No, what has usually been a trait of Lara is that she's sexy because she's not trying to be. What ever she wears, has nothing to do with vanity or ego, and it reflects in that her posture isn't one of somebody "falunting" themselves, showing a self awareness that they are "being sexy". I would say it's more along the lines that Lara chooses what ever she is comfortable with and simply doesn't give a damn what anyone else thinks. She's her own boss and will not allow anybody to judge her.

Then we move on to the other aspects, which generates the most controversy here. The physical and emotional sides of sexuality. I've been around long enough to see that some here have a problem with Lara being capable to getting imtimate with man, be that briefly or in the far more dreaded context... a full on relationship.

I've heard it all how a relationship would doom poor Lara. Her indpendance and integrity would be irreperably compromised, she'd have to give up her adventuring lifestyle if she had a man in her life, etc..

SLOW DOWN :rasp::rasp: Let's just suppose she meets a man and *gasp*, atually finds him to be HOT. You really think some ideas won't come to her mind of things she'd like to do with him. As much as most men meeting her would immediately find her sexy and already be having some steamy fantasies, this is an ADULT woman we're talking about her, so she can fantasize as well.

And lets not forget here, this IS an adult we're talking about, even the reboot Lara who's 21 (the original being in her mid 30's). She's healthy, vibrant, energetic, you know, she's got a pulse. I think if we're going to discuss Lara as a character it serves us as her fans and Lara herself if we do so maturely and realize that sexuality as normal and healthy.

I have said this time and again, that a relationship would NOT end her lifestyle. She wouldn't spend every minute of her life with a man, any more than her new BF would. They'd both have their careers and activities they pursue on their own seperate time, and still make the time to spend to together when ever they can. You know, like any normal couple :)

But relationships aside, her sexuality can be about simply her being able to feel an attraction to a man, regardless of what actions she takes from that. She might kiss him simply because she found him attractive and wanted to, then move on with her mission, never seeing him again. Or she might allow herself a single night of passion because like any human being, has needs. C'mon, I KNOW you know what I'm talking about here.

In establishing good character development, what lends credibility to the character as a person, is that emotional context, the subtext underneath the surface. If Lara is a human being, then she should have the full range of emotions; fear, anger, joy, satisfaction, remorse, anxiety, trepdiation, pride... and yes desire is a part of that emotional package too.

Lara should be capable of having feelings towards another human being, and at some point experiencing desire, just like I know every one who's reading this (if they're at least 16) has at one point or another.

It's all a part of being human :)

Error96_
25th Apr 2011, 16:05
it's inescapable that she is often perceived as being sexy. And of course in past games she's always been dressed to complement her physique with a mix of curve hugging and how much skin was shown.

I am 100% totally for the expression of Lara's sexuality through her image and think it's a real important aspect in any great TR game. I certainly want to see Lara in short shorts, skin tight catsuits and lowcut dresses. Those fashion choices represent her style and self-expression. A Lara without a sexy image is like Sonic the Hedgehog without super speed. Simply doesn't work.

No, what has usually been a trait of Lara is that she's sexy because she's not trying to be. What ever she wears, has nothing to do with vanity or ego, and it reflects in that her posture isn't one of somebody "falunting" themselves, showing a self awareness that they are "being sexy". I would say it's more along the lines that Lara chooses what ever she is comfortable with and simply doesn't give a damn what anyone else thinks. She's her own boss and will not allow anybody to judge her.

I think Lara does have a self-awareness of her sexuality. She does make choices to make herself look sexy and nails it everytime producing beautiful sexy looks whilst keeping her look classy. Her choices certainly aren't with the motivation of impressing other people though, rather more her doing it for herself. That is what she wants to wear. The views aired by some CD execs that LC doesn't care about fashion or that Lara shouldn't be sexy I think are nonsence which is detremental to the TR series. Lara absolutely SHOULD keep expressing sexuality through her image.

I have said this time and again, that a relationship would NOT end her lifestyle. She wouldn't spend every minute of her life with a man, any more than her new BF would.

When thinking of Lara having a proper relationship I am not that nervous myself but I know it would be deeply unpopular. Kurtis gets tons of flak for being a possible match for Lara and other boyfriends would probably get the same. Some flirting like with Larson or Kurtis is a good way to show that Lara is attracted to some of the men she meets. A full blown relationship or even just having a fling on the island would be just too upopular with the fanbase to be worth trying at the moment.

TrickyVein
25th Apr 2011, 18:23
Lara's sexuality: yes, please?

Greenas
25th Apr 2011, 19:33
Maybe that's why Lara frets over Amanda so much!!! They must have been in a relationship in college! :D LOL

WinterSoldierLTE
26th Apr 2011, 00:16
I've seen it joked about before on various websites, but I do honestly think that at one point Lara and Amanda had a relationship. It would definately flesh out Amanda's anger at being left behind more, as well as Lara's guilt over the matter and not killing her. After all, they didn't break up in the traditional sense. One of 'em got buried under a pile of rubble in a quickly flooding tomb and left for dead. Wouldn't you be angry at your lover for leaving you behind? Maybe it's just me, but it's always something I've thought could've fit in well with and complimented the story in "Legend".
One might even say there are slight hints is you watch the cutsecenes close enough and pay attention to their tones of voice during their dialouges (most notably when Lara sees Amanda in the chamber at the end of Kazahkstan. Picture an ex-couple seeing each other for the first time in years.)

Pulse
26th Apr 2011, 03:21
I think of her as someone who doesn't really feel sexually attracted to anyone. Some people just aren't...

Edit: She's 21 in the reboot ;)

AdobeArtist
26th Apr 2011, 04:00
I think of her as someone who doesn't really feel sexually attracted to anyone. Some people just aren't...

Edit: She's 21 in the reboot ;)

Really? Sounds more like you're describing a machine, not a living breathing human being.

jtr7
26th Apr 2011, 04:43
Though there are asexual humans, most of them are physically not hooking up with another being, even though they do experience attraction. Some people have good control over their impulses, some people know how to give in but remain detached from ever needing to be with another for more than the occasional hook-up. Among each of those loose categories are a wide range from extreme to extreme. Other than the abusive extremes, the middle ground is not abnormal nor uncommon, but there is still shame enough from society for some to lie about it.

Natla
26th Apr 2011, 06:00
Maybe that's why Lara frets over Amanda so much!!! They must have been in a relationship in college! :D LOL

Erm ... I shudder slightly for reasons I won't go into. However, unfortunately I believe that Lara is totaly straight, almost to the point of being an emotional retard.

RoombelinaUK
26th Apr 2011, 07:41
Erm ... I shudder slightly for reasons I won't go into. However, unfortunately I believe that Lara is totaly straight, almost to the point of being an emotional retard.

lmao so do I... at least I hope she is XD Honestly, I wouldn't mind if she were even bisexual, I just hope they introduce new ideas to the franchise - some concerning this thread's topic. It'd be really interesting to see someone like Lara, bold, dominant, & charismatic in a relationship with a man...., or even another woman. Hopefully it's a man :)

Cheese is nice.
26th Apr 2011, 08:28
I think I side with Error on this one. Lara having a romance OR "Attraction" to either the opposite, and ESPECIALLY the same sex would be immensely unpopular. That's just not the Lara that these fans have grown up with. She's already been changed enough . . . She looks more realistic and proportioned AND they've decided a re-vamp of the series will be a good idea. I personally miss her sexier self. Not saying have her. . . Um . . . Assets hanging out. Just enough to be slightly sultry as usual, ya know? However, there is an invisible line where you don't mess with things otherwise you pose the risk of losing the original character that was created. With this whole "attraction" relationship whatever thing, I feel that's crossing the line. Whether people like it or not, Lara Croft is indeed a fictional character. She isn't real. She never has been. That is the beauty of her. You think any other woman could be that phsycotically top heavy and disproportionate and could pull half the crap she can? I'm all for making her more "Real" and all, but seriously, IF YOU MAKE HER TOO REAL, SHE WILL CEASE TO BE THE LARA WE KNOW AND LOVE. We shouldn't ever lose sight of who she is. We have eight plus games to go back and reference her character. We know what was popular and what wasn't. Her dressing sexy and not trying to be sexy? Very popular. Kurtis? Not popular. Ergo, I think we should leave that idea alone. And, seriously, no offense to anyone out there, but I think the idea of Lara having a same sex lover is absolutely rediculous. So much so, I actually did LOL at the idea. I highly doubt anyone would be able to sell that one to the majority of the fans. Ever. Not to say that I have a hatred of that type of thing, I just think Lara swinging that way . . . It just doesn't work.

dark7angel
26th Apr 2011, 08:43
I've seen it joked about before on various websites, but I do honestly think that at one point Lara and Amanda had a relationship. It would definately flesh out Amanda's anger at being left behind more, as well as Lara's guilt over the matter and not killing her. After all, they didn't break up in the traditional sense. One of 'em got buried under a pile of rubble in a quickly flooding tomb and left for dead. Wouldn't you be angry at your lover for leaving you behind? Maybe it's just me, but it's always something I've thought could've fit in well with and complimented the story in "Legend".
One might even say there are slight hints is you watch the cutsecenes close enough and pay attention to their tones of voice during their dialouges (most notably when Lara sees Amanda in the chamber at the end of Kazahkstan. Picture an ex-couple seeing each other for the first time in years.)

I don't think they had to be lovers for things to turn out the way they did. I mean, they were freaking best friends!!! Amanda was left behind and no one ever looked for her it's normal she's mad. And Lara has survivors guilt, which is pretty normal as well.

Wouldn't you be angry at your lover for leaving you behind?
I would be angry at my friends if they left me behind...

I agree with Natla, I think Lara is totally straight!

LARALOVERnr1
26th Apr 2011, 14:47
''Crap. I'm stuck on an island full of hostile creatures, I'm struggeling to survive, my arm hurts like **** and I'm hungry while there's no Mc. Donalds around.

But damn, that guy over there is hot!''

Nope, I don't think they'll go further into her sexuality just yet. But whatever, everyone seems to be bisexual nowadays, so let's assume Lara is bisexual to :nut:

QiX
26th Apr 2011, 15:33
''Crap. I'm stuck on an island full of hostile creatures, I'm struggeling to survive, my arm hurts like **** and I'm hungry while there's no Mc. Donalds around.

But damn, that guy over there is hot!''

Exactly :D

Ants_27_
26th Apr 2011, 16:02
Having said all of that and retracting whatever I may have said. I think having her sexuality not labeled; to me I guess it would be kinda cool to be able to start straying away from the need to categorize people. Make sense? It makes a change I guess to not say he's gay, he's straight or he's bisexual. :D

Driber
26th Apr 2011, 17:21
LARALOVERnr.1, please do not circumvent our forum censor.

rain122793
26th Apr 2011, 23:18
I never said anything about including sex or nudity as an addition, but I wouldn't mind if it were....:)
Anyways, I was just wondering that's all. Apart from the Tomb Raider films, I've always viewed Lara as a bland, sexless "superhero"... sexual attraction is sometimes a weakness, and like they say, a flawed character is a great character...
well i totally get what you mean. they're missing that side of her, where's the love for someone else unless i guess it's just not there.

AdobeArtist
27th Apr 2011, 00:23
I think I side with Error on this one. Lara having a romance OR "Attraction" to either the opposite, and ESPECIALLY the same sex would be immensely unpopular. That's just not the Lara that these fans have grown up with. She's already been changed enough . . . She looks more realistic and proportioned AND they've decided a re-vamp of the series will be a good idea. I personally miss her sexier self. Not saying have her. . . Um . . . Assets hanging out. Just enough to be slightly sultry as usual, ya know? However, there is an invisible line where you don't mess with things otherwise you pose the risk of losing the original character that was created. With this whole "attraction" relationship whatever thing, I feel that's crossing the line. Whether people like it or not, Lara Croft is indeed a fictional character. She isn't real. She never has been. That is the beauty of her. You think any other woman could be that phsycotically top heavy and disproportionate and could pull half the crap she can? I'm all for making her more "Real" and all, but seriously, IF YOU MAKE HER TOO REAL, SHE WILL CEASE TO BE THE LARA WE KNOW AND LOVE. We shouldn't ever lose sight of who she is. We have eight plus games to go back and reference her character. We know what was popular and what wasn't. Her dressing sexy and not trying to be sexy? Very popular. Kurtis? Not popular. Ergo, I think we should leave that idea alone. And, seriously, no offense to anyone out there, but I think the idea of Lara having a same sex lover is absolutely rediculous. So much so, I actually did LOL at the idea. I highly doubt anyone would be able to sell that one to the majority of the fans. Ever. Not to say that I have a hatred of that type of thing, I just think Lara swinging that way . . . It just doesn't work.

What's that? Lara is a fictional character you say? Hmmm, but by all accounts, so is Batman, Spiderman, Wolverine, Nathan Drake, Ezio, the Prince of Persia, Alan Wake, Madison Paige, Liara T'soni, Leliana, Alyx Vance, and a host of others. None of them are real, yet most create the convincing illusion of reality by being depicions of believable people with genuine traits and personality charactersitics.

The goal of any fiction which is based on a "real world" setting and context is to seem as real as possible. While Gotham may be a non-existent city, it is clear enough that it's modeled after a major metropolitan urban center you could find in any city in the US; that is to say Batman is supposed to exist in a facsimile of our world, thus he needs to possess an element of realism for the readers to accept him.

My main point being, a character being a work of fiction is no excuse to be under developed. The most successful characters who have stood the test of time are ones that are fully fleshed out, being detailed in every respect.

As far as "losing the Lara we know" goes, it really doesn't have to be seen that way at all. Now I have always endorsed that Lara was far more than just the boobs and booty that most other gamers garnered from casual observation. She has always had her strong points of strength, independance, and all that good stuff. But that said there has always been a great deal she was still under developed in, which is more in part to the standards of the era she was born in.

With this reboot being a fresh beginning it presents an opportunity to take her development further than ever before. It's not so much making her a different person, but rather taking what we already had and adding more layers and depth to that, to create a more rounded and fleshed out person.

Basically taking the old formula and making it relevant to the modern times, that will help Lara thrive in the new generation of gaming.

p.s. Cheese: You gotta work on breaking your posts into a paragraphs. makes for a smoother read :)

Cristiavano
27th Apr 2011, 02:20
I would love to see some infatuation. She thinks she's in love with a crew member. Then when she is stranded on an island near the end of the game she meets up with her "friend" and then a weird person comes up (those weird mutant people) and then he runs off she fights she wins. She find her "friend" in a pit full of anacondas(from anaconda:hunt for the blood orchid) and spikes. She realizes she was deceived then looks for Conrad.

Denis..
27th Apr 2011, 04:11
I don't think they had to be lovers for things to turn out the way they did. I mean, they were freaking best friends!!!

yea they were best friends..
have u seen best friends fight?! they do look like a couple and real best friends have a strong bond as a happily married couple but on a different way bond..

aw well what if lara's gay or not?
damn this freaking game is taking ages..

Silvermoth
27th Apr 2011, 10:09
I only object to Lara having a female romance because it's such a cliche for a strong woman to be a lesbian. I mean Xena did it and even Buffy had a one night stand with a woman in the comics.

As soon as it becomes just as acceptable for Spiderman or whatever to have a male x male relationship without the fans screaming bloody murder or major statements to be made about his sexuality, I'll be fine with a Lara x woman relationship. Sexuality is fluid after all.

RosePetals
27th Apr 2011, 10:18
Lara Croft doesn't need her sexuality defined to be sexy. :rolleyes:

She's sexy enough as it is. :p

Greenas
27th Apr 2011, 11:08

Some people took that joke way too seriously :scratch:

Pulse
27th Apr 2011, 14:18
If she is attracted to a gender, I think it's men. Her interactions with women are usually along the lines of yelling and ripping out their throats, but with men she's a bit more flirty.

Natla
27th Apr 2011, 15:31
I only object to Lara having a female romance because it's such a cliche for a strong woman to be a lesbian. I mean Xena did it and even Buffy had a one night stand with a woman in the comics.

As soon as it becomes just as acceptable for Spiderman or whatever to have a male x male relationship without the fans screaming bloody murder or major statements to be made about his sexuality, I'll be fine with a Lara x woman relationship. Sexuality is fluid after all.

I wonder if it's a cliche for a weak woman to be a lesbian as well?

Ants_27_
27th Apr 2011, 19:13

I'd consider it more of a cliche if they used it as a gimmick.

Greenas
27th Apr 2011, 22:23
I wonder if it's a cliche for a weak woman to be a lesbian as well?

Most definately not. Well at least not in South Africa.

WinterSoldierLTE
27th Apr 2011, 22:51
Some people took that joke way too seriously :scratch:

Nah, mate. That's something I've thought ever since I first played "Legend". What I stated above is just my opinion tho, and I could be wrong. I'm one of those people who likes and looks for layers to things, such as movies and whatnot. Alot of my favorite film directors (Ridley Scott, for example) tell other stories behind the primary story of a film, sometimes you just have to look for them. There's always more going on then whats right in front of you. So, I tend to look for the "other bits" of stories I really enjoy. Sometimes I find them, sometimes I come up dry, sometimes I'm just plain wrong and am being an idiot. Old habbit, I'm afraid.
Video games do the same sometimes as well. Perfect example is two words and one number: "Silent Hill 2". Shedloads of layers in that one.

Andy64
28th Apr 2011, 02:45
For me when it comes to Lara's look it really is the sexier the better :D:D:D.

As for Lara's sexuality I am sure she is straight and is attracted to some of the guys she has met like Kurtis. She has such strong independence though and such an active lifestyle that she may not let many guys get close. I can't see anything relationship based between Amanda and Lara though I am not against Lara being bisexual.

Would be great to Lara strike up an attraction with one of the other shipwreck survivors. Don't get why everyone hates that so much. I mean even if they did would still get the joy when he got killed of by zombie type creatures anyway (cos that's probably how it would end).

Denis..
28th Apr 2011, 02:48
I'll be fine with a Lara x woman relationship. Sexuality is fluid after all.

well i dont remember xena as a lesbian either..
u people need to understand the difference between a real friendship and a couple relationship..

Real friends dont have sex..(and thats a rule as if u brake it then its no longer called a friendship)

real friends dont ever seperated no matter what.(if they do then it wont forever but if it is it wasnt a real friendship)

real friends tend to have a difficult time talking about their friendship as they both have strong feelings for each other but they wont say i love u, hug me, blah blah blah..

in conlusion..

real friends often mistaken as a couple to other ppl coz the majority of ppl doesnt give this much care on a friend and the one they give to bfs, gfs..

so xena and gabby are real friends not a couple!

FROM PERSONAL EXPERIANCE IM TALKING

CaddieShepherd
28th Apr 2011, 07:19
I believe that thing that made Lara Croft the most beloved and most famous n respected character to date is that she was sexy without attempting to be sexy, her clothes are stuff that everyone wears nowadays, even not as sexualized as most people wear. bikinis ? who doesn't wear a bikini nowadays ?

About her relationships, it was always better to show Lara as a strong lonely woman who prefers what she's doing over anything else. the short moments of attraction between her and Kurtis were totally perfect and they showed us that she's human too not just a hunting and killing machine, but still showing her as an ordinary woman with a boyfriend or husband and kids will not make her as special as she is today. also sex scenes in the games will cheapen her and the game.

she's perfect the way she is (specially AOD and UNDERWORLD / LEGEND).

RosePetals
28th Apr 2011, 23:25
Forgive me for sounding so blunt, but...

Lara's obviously straight. ;)

(I went to an exclusive Catholic school for girls way back in high school, and from that little experience, I can tell whether a woman is gay or bi or not, even from a mile away. But let's not delve into that long-forgotten history of mine, shall we? :lol:)

The relationship with Lara Croft and Amanda Evert has raised many eyebrows in TR: Legend, seeing as how the former cares a lot about the latter to the point that it's almost, well, lesbian-ish. Lara's desperately trying reach out to a very angst-driven Amanda who's obviously pissed off because of the whole Paraiso thing. :poke:

However, in TR: Underworld, one can point out that their relationship is very far from romantic. I personally think Lara feels a you're-my-friend-which-is-why-I-care-for-you-but-it-looks-like-you've-been-......-these-past-few-years-which-is-why-I'll-hate-you-for-now kind of thing. The last cut scene in this game tells as much.

Another thing is, well, I'm sure everyone's noticed how Lara interacts with men, particularly:
- Larson Conway (Just his TR: Anniversary version though.)
- Kurtis Trent (I think the biodome cut scenes were enough proof.)
- Terry Sheridan (In "The Cradle of Life".)

Okay, enough said. This is getting ridiculously long, and I should be studying. I just wanted to get my point through. :p:o

Flintmelody
29th Apr 2011, 00:30
The best expression for sexuality would be more outfits like the Japan dress. When she walks in to the party in that dress is such an awesome gaming moment. That type of cheekyness is what CD should go more for. The kurtis stuff was a good example too. She would lose too much independence with a full relationship and it would be more a burden for her.

The games definately show Lara to flirt with guys. Lara and Amanda just seem like friends. Is wishfull thinking to find more than friends there.

Driber
29th Apr 2011, 17:59
This thread is already iffy, so lets at least stay civilized, people.

AdobeArtist
30th Apr 2011, 04:33
The best expression for sexuality would be more outfits like the Japan dress. When she walks in to the party in that dress is such an awesome gaming moment. That type of cheekyness is what CD should go more for. The kurtis stuff was a good example too. She would lose too much independence with a full relationship and it would be more a burden for her.

The games definately show Lara to flirt with guys. Lara and Amanda just seem like friends. Is wishfull thinking to find more than friends there.

What I always loved about Lara in dresses (even more so than the swimwear) such as Legend and the Opera House from long ago, is it wasn't only an expression of sexiness, but also an expression of culture and sophistication. Basically it layered her personality showing her as a complex lady who could be beautiful and worldly at the same time.

I realize that sexuality is often a touchy and troubling subject, but my point would be - that it shouldn't be. From a rational perspective I should hope that we can all have a mature and intellgent discussion on something that's a natural part of the human experience :)

Driber
30th Apr 2011, 05:43
From a rational perspective I should hope that we can all have a mature and intelligent discussion on something that's a natural part of the human experience :)

Agreed.

(also corrected a speeling error there ;))

Natla
30th Apr 2011, 06:54

Just so I don't accidently say the wrong thing in general, what is it about this thread that is "iffy"? Thanks. :)

RosePetals
30th Apr 2011, 18:38
Sir Driber! I am so sorry for my, erm, choice of words. Couldn't help myself. Sorry! :D

Greenas
30th Apr 2011, 20:33
Nah, mate. That's something I've thought ever since I first played "Legend". What I stated above is just my opinion tho, and I could be wrong. I'm one of those people who likes and looks for layers to things, such as movies and whatnot. Alot of my favorite film directors (Ridley Scott, for example) tell other stories behind the primary story of a film, sometimes you just have to look for them. There's always more going on then whats right in front of you. So, I tend to look for the "other bits" of stories I really enjoy. Sometimes I find them, sometimes I come up dry, sometimes I'm just plain wrong and am being an idiot. Old habbit, I'm afraid.
Video games do the same sometimes as well. Perfect example is two words and one number: "Silent Hill 2". Shedloads of layers in that one.

Don't get me wrong I think it would be a fascinating twist if Lara and Amanda did have some sort of romatic relationship, it would make Lara stand out from the crowd when it comes to female video game protagnanists, but I don't think Crystal was trying to create a riddle out of their video game or anything like that. I think they wanted to create a straight (excust the pun) and simple experience.
Honestly I think I would be even more in love with Lara if she wasn't completely straight, if at all.

Denis..
1st May 2011, 14:36
enough already!
lara and amanda were best friends and they are both straight!
god can't you just accept the idea of friendship and that there are some people that have their good friends a priority in their life?

gay, bi, straight? putting labels on people?
i don't mind lara be any of them really..

just don't make her a killing machine again..
keep the tears, emotion and friendship in the game..

WinterSoldierLTE
1st May 2011, 15:47
Well, Denis, I've never said that friendships shouldn't or can't be valued by people. Far as I'm concerned, they should be a priority, yes. That being said tho, one could say that your signifigant other should BE your best friend if the relationship is meaningfull and worth getting into. Honestly not trying to start a fight or ague, just saying.

Let's face it tho: her sexuality has never been revealed fully. Yeah she's had flirty moments w/ men, but it's never been confirmed gay, bi or straight. Hence the speculations/debates. Even w/ the flirting she's done w/ men, that still doesn't count bi-sexuality out. And to me, a person who says "She can't be gay or bi because she's Lara Croft!" is like those who said Rob Halford couldn't be gay because he's Rob Halford. Mind you I'm not saying anyones said such a thing, again, I'm just saying. You just never know for sure until it's revealed.

And for the record, a persons sexual preferrence does not change who they are, to me. We are all human beings at the end of the day, and we all have our own personal prefferences, and most importantly: We are all equal.

Driber
1st May 2011, 16:47
Just so I don't accidently say the wrong thing in general, what is it about this thread that is "iffy"? Thanks. :)

The whole subject is iffy. You can see what kind of emotions it evokes. It will be allowed for now, though, as long as people stay respectful here, but I am monitoring this thread closely ;)

enough already!
lara and amanda were best friends and they are both straight!
god can't you just accept the idea of...

Respect other people's opinions or your posts will be removed.

The moderators will decide what members can post, not you.

LARALOVERnr1
2nd May 2011, 02:00
I reconsider my first post. If her sexuality is going to be revealed one day, she's probably gonna end up straight. Not because her behavior/relationships so far tell me so, but because that's mostly the case with American movies/games.

I find 'Troy' one of the best examples of this phenomenon (Warning: when you haven't seen the movie and don't know anything about the original Greek story, the next part of my post isn't gonna make any sense). They obviously had to edit the original Greek story a bit because some parts of it just couldn't be translated to the big screen, but they also made Achilles straight and his male lover Patroklos his nephew, even though this was completely unnecessary. Why?

I guess the American audience just isn't used to homosexual protagonists...

Denis..
2nd May 2011, 09:22
Well, Denis, I've never said that friendships shouldn't or can't be valued by people. Far as I'm concerned, they should be a priority, yes. That being said tho, one could say that your signifigant other should BE your best friend if the relationship is meaningfull and worth getting into. Honestly not trying to start a fight or ague, just saying.

Let's face it tho: her sexuality has never been revealed fully. Yeah she's had flirty moments w/ men, but it's never been confirmed gay, bi or straight. Hence the speculations/debates. Even w/ the flirting she's done w/ men, that still doesn't count bi-sexuality out. And to me, a person who says "She can't be gay or bi because she's Lara Croft!" is like those who said Rob Halford couldn't be gay because he's Rob Halford. Mind you I'm not saying anyones said such a thing, again, I'm just saying. You just never know for sure until it's revealed.

And for the record, a persons sexual preferrence does not change who they are, to me. We are all human beings at the end of the day, and we all have our own personal prefferences, and most importantly: We are all equal.

now that u putting it that way yeah her sexually is unknown..
and i never had an intention to fight or argue with you, hug!

either way if lara is straight or gay it won't prevent me from playing tr games and in the games there are no moments that you can go and say she is totally straight or gay!

and as u said judging from just a name is immature because we had an actor here in greece nikos serianopoulos and he was TOTALY STRAIGHT on every series or movies he was in!

after he died the doctors said that he was sleeping with men!
it was a huge shock for greece, not that i did care but as u saying judging from just a name is wrong..
im with you here.

and driber if the user that i was talking with had a problem HE can go and report my post and then you can delete it!
but if the other users are ok with my posts then why not you?

Ants_27_
2nd May 2011, 10:00
I guess the American audience just isn't used to homosexual protagonists...

More commonly known as ignorance I guess.

But really, I honestly believe a lot of homophobia is self inflicted. That perhaps sounds harsh as it's still no bodies business.

But...

I don't see why people care about weather Lara loves women or men as the reason I say this is because I cringe in films when they have a sex scene, I don't give a damn if it's 'straight' I don't wanna see it, or if I'm walking down the street and you've got people kissing, hugging and holding hands in front of you. Now that, that annoys me to the brink of wanting to hit them and tell em grow up.

So where am I going with tales of what annoys me? Simply that as long as I don't have to play a game, in this case TR and sit through a sex scene or watch them kissing for about 20 minutes then I'm happy either way.

WinterSoldierLTE
2nd May 2011, 10:18
@LARALOVERnr.1 I wouldn't say it's an American audience fear/phobia per se, more of a Hollywood fear/phobia. Especially when Brad Pitt is involved.

@Denis No worries, mate. It's all good.

Denis..
2nd May 2011, 10:19
More commonly known as ignorance I guess.

But really, I honestly believe a lot of homophobia is self inflicted. That perhaps sounds harsh as it's still no bodies business.

But...

I don't see why people care about weather Lara loves women or men as the reason I say this is because I cringe in films when they have a sex scene, I don't give a damn if it's 'straight' I don't wanna see it, or if I'm walking down the street and you've got people kissing, hugging and holding hands in front of you. Now that, that annoys me to the brink of wanting to hit them and tell em grow up.

So where am I going with tales of what annoys me? Simply that as long as I don't have to play a game, in this case TR and sit through a sex scene or watch them kissing for about 20 minutes then I'm happy either way.

we are going off topic here but aw well who cares?!

i hate watching sex scenes too but about the walking down the street watching ppl do the stuff u mentioned why should i go and beat the crup out of them?
just because they hug, walking hand by hand or kissing? what's the problem with it?

everyone has hug in public even men, everyone has kissed in public to say a hi to a friend!
not to mention that it's our business what are we doing not theirs (even in public).

but hey no fights ants,
but tell them to grow up? i want to discuss about why you feeling that way.

Driber
2nd May 2011, 10:23
Ok, the original topic has been covered enough and everyone got their opinions on the matter in. There is nothing new to add to this discussion and it's now just going off topic too much about general sexual preference problems and more arguing, so....

closed.