PDA

View Full Version : Wardrobe Malfunction! Yea or Nay?

AdobeArtist
3rd Apr 2011, 23:33
So the April Fool's prank is over, and yet, from a joke a potentially good concept has been introduced. Of course I refer to my own fake Eurogamer article that the new TR would have a newly developed 'Dynamic Cloth Physics' engine which enables unscripted and real-time tearing in Lara's clothing based on the players actions.

The concept of this is to reinforce the survival theme, where Lara subjected to progressively deteriorating conditions the longer she is on the island and exposed to its threats. She'll have vey little to start with, be forced to scavenge what ever materials and supplies she can get her hands on, and holding on to what she has will be more difficult the more challenges she endures.

So now on to a serious discussion, and by Driber's recommendation I'm making a new topic with poll about this - would you like to see this feature in future TR games, or are you concerned about "inappropriate content" regardless of context?

Have at you!! :D

larafan25
3rd Apr 2011, 23:59
Yes but within reasonable limits.

WinterSoldierLTE
4th Apr 2011, 00:06
Well, after "7 Sins", I don't see how mere cloth tearing/rippage could be the end of the world.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
4th Apr 2011, 04:22
I like taking perfect Lara screenshots so I will go for the prefer her unscratched option. Besides it could all go too far.

Natla
4th Apr 2011, 06:18
Too far?

chriss_99
4th Apr 2011, 08:02
Does the whole reboot have to be so serious?
I voted the more, the better. :D

Driber
4th Apr 2011, 09:05
So far it seems to be the majority by far that wants clothes tearing. You're all a bunch of perverts :p

jk

I voted for the 2nd option myself (yes, but within reasonable limits) because I like this idea, but not to the point of actual nudity in TR.

aragorn2
4th Apr 2011, 09:39
no, no NO! Remember why everyone else (except us) hates Lara? Yes, for her sexuality. Don't give them another reason to underestimate our beloved Lara. Anyone who wants some "nudity", i know some other games or sites (:whistle:)

For the love of God, NO, let Lara's clothes on:hmm:

dark7angel
4th Apr 2011, 10:13
I voted "yes, but within reasonable limits". I like the idea BUT I wouldn't want to see something like those 3rd birthday screenshots!

brand.seph
4th Apr 2011, 10:26
Voted Yes, but within reasonable limits... cause it's a new thing for Tomb Raider and makes Lara more... as they said.. Human.

AdobeArtist
4th Apr 2011, 13:40
ahhhh, I KNEW somebody would vote for the bikinis :lol::D

Soooo, who want's to 'fess up? ;)

SE_Cath
4th Apr 2011, 18:08
Nice poll ! :D

I voted for the second option. Limits for me are more a matter of realism. One of the reasons I really dig the idea of Lara's journey being etched on her skin with wounds and blood is because I find it sexy. She a warrior, but she has weaknesses and the fact that those weaknesses are showing is sexier than the untouchable face she used to have. So, as a part of the journey, I don't mind if her clothes are ripped and scratched, and I don't mind if her body is showing, but this...
http://i56.tinypic.com/1q4bkn.jpg
... is beyond ridiculous. How could Lara (or anyone) still be adventuring in an outfit this damaged ? There's a line where it's not sexy anymore and becomes trashy :D That would be the limit for me ^^

Jerion
4th Apr 2011, 18:25
I think if the cloth tearing went all the way, there would be a point where it's no longer sexy or trashy but just...vulnerable. That would be a refreshingly dark turn IMO.

For sake of the game not getting smashed by the media for nudity though, I voted for reasonable limits.

WinterSoldierLTE
4th Apr 2011, 21:43
I think if the cloth tearing went all the way, there would be a point where it's no longer sexy or trashy but just...vulnerable. That would be a refreshingly dark turn IMO.

For sake of the game not getting smashed by the media for nudity though, I voted for reasonable limits.

That's food for thought. Just imagine playing a "RE" or "SH" game and your charater was nude. Man, that would be freaky. You'd definately have to double time away from Pyramid Head then.

Red Meat
5th Apr 2011, 02:12
As long as it's done within reasonable limits I think it's a sterling idea!

I mean we've seen protagonists get muddy and bloody before but to have tearing and scars would be new.

But a thought just popped into my head..:scratch:
If you were in a survival situation and your clothing became torn and damaged would you not try to repair it?

Flintmelody
5th Apr 2011, 02:49
Allow too much tearing and you get tons of videos all over the net of people deliberately hurting Lara to show 'more' of her. Might give off a bad image of the series. No tearing and you don't get enough realism to fit with the rest of the game.

Wait. What is this? A new real alternative option to yes/no questions. My vote goes to the bikini ;):nut:.

AdobeArtist
5th Apr 2011, 03:48

YES!! This is exactly what I'm talking about. Vulnerability that echoes of frailty and almost hopeless desperation. Like when you see a homeless person, and their life is reflected in the state of their clothes, it's in complete ragged tatters and just bearely holding together - much like their life.

This isn't a fashion choice like a bikini, which is a very clean and stylish way to show off skin where the outfit is designed to flatter one's features. rather see how her clothes just get more ragged, it's that roughness of her condition which is only accentuated by the condition of her body, from the cuts, to bruises, scars, mud mingled with blood. If done right, is no longer titilating because of the skin being shown, but rather conveys the suffering Lara is enduring, creating an empathetic experience for the player, that they are complelled to take pity on the poor girl.

Add to that the emotional performance, where we see her face marked with despair and anguish, where she's never certain she'll make it through the night, and how unbearbale this all is for her, which adds the depth to her humanity.

With proper execution the message gets across; this isn't sexy, this is Lara struggling to hold on to her dignity and sanity, that every loss she suffers is just that much more protection from the elements and her environment she no longer has. It's really all about LOSS and SUFFERING.

Now someone asked if one did fall into such disarray, wouldn't they try to repair that? But with what tools could Lara stitch her top and pants with? Where would she get the spare fabric even if she did?

Also the 3rd Birthday pics did get me wondering on something. This very idea I conjured up was about a dynamic way to do cloth destruction, where it's unscripted and executed in real time. You may remember in Prince of Persia sands of Time, how he began with a very stylish and regal outfit, but gradually got down just to his pants and a sash.

Each sequence we see his shirt being torn off a piece at a time (one sleeve, then the next, and so on...) is entirely scripted. It's part of the game's set pieces which occurs at a specific time, and crried out in a specific way, all created by the CG cinematics that never deviates from a set plan. In other words his clothing can only deteriorate in the same places in the same order at the designated plot points. same with how Batman's costume gets torn here and there along the way in Arkham Asylum.

Now getting back to 3rd Birthday, since I'm only seeing still shots here, can anybody certify that this is not the same case here? Is it a scripted form of cloth deterioration, or is in in fact dynamic and real time engine rendered, so that it can occur uniquely in each play through? With all this debate, I'm not even completely sure how I envision it is technically possible.

SE_Cath
5th Apr 2011, 11:06
I'm not even completely sure how I envision it is technically possible.
Why not ? If she can have patches of mud and blood on her body, why not (for example) transparency patches that would figure ripped clothes. It would seem logical to have that feature included (and it'd be nice :) )

RosePetals
5th Apr 2011, 11:44
Yes, with reasonable limits, of course ;)

LARALOVERnr1
5th Apr 2011, 12:57
Option 2 for me. I think it will add a bit of realism(as long as she doesn't end up nude, of course ;))

Natla
5th Apr 2011, 13:58
Does covered in nothing but mud count as nude?

_Love2Raid_
5th Apr 2011, 15:32
I voted the 2nd option, but honestly I don´t think it´s needed at all (an option that seems to be missing from this poll). Not because it would make me ´sad´ or something, I just don´t think it´s necessary since it would take a lot of time and resources to create something like what is being suggested in the first post.

Angy1996
5th Apr 2011, 15:56
I voted the 2nd option, but honestly I don´t think it´s needed at all (an option that seems to be missing from this poll). Not because it would make me ´sad´ or something, I just don´t think it´s necessary since it would take a lot of time and resources to create something like what is being suggested in the first post.

i totally agree with you...also some fans may not like so much nudity so 2 option for me 2 :hmm: ( i would like to state something more..kids like me dont realy take in mind buying games with scary things or nudity etc. but our parents do take it in mind..it is great that i still play such games so i wouldn't like my parents start thinking about buying me the new tomb raider when it'll be released...so less nudity way much better {SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH}

AdobeArtist
5th Apr 2011, 21:08
Does covered in nothing but mud count as nude?

:lol::lol: Now why didn't I think of that?? :naughty::naughty:

That would be the "no no no, not ever" option in the poll :whistle:;)

_Love2Raid_
5th Apr 2011, 23:42
Yeah, but what's up with the sad smiley? Oh wait, I get it, it was supposed to be an angry looking smiley. :lol:

AdobeArtist
5th Apr 2011, 23:48
Yeah, but what's up with the sad smiley? Oh wait, I get it, it was supposed to be an angry looking smiley. :lol:

That's exactly it. I was just typing in keyboard characters, not knowing that emoticons actually worked in the poll display :lmao:

Cristiavano
6th Apr 2011, 23:52
mmm yea as long as it goes up to this
its appropriate just lara's pants rip and turn into a very revealing skirt (i do hope there will be snakes)
Mmm laras outfit becoming ripped but not trashy is a good idea i just hope she doesn't end up naked but i hope to see this type of end with the video lara sees a monster screams and shoots it and say haven't you already seen enough?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ViwkgysKmM

http://justentertainment.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/slave_4_u.jpg

xXTombRaiderXx
7th Apr 2011, 11:05
i agree within reason ! lol :)

Hoodedclaw
8th Apr 2011, 12:44
Yeah that would be an interesting ending just a bit like TR 2.

I voted for the 2nd one because when people say rips in clothes well lets just say that it could get a bit to far.....................:p x

TrickyVein
24th Apr 2011, 23:44
Ripped clothes can only ever be a good thing considering the subject matter, surely.

Natla
25th Apr 2011, 06:52
Good to see that most people want to see Lara deshabille :)

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/31174/1087505-melting_buildings_super.jpg

Cheese is nice.
27th Apr 2011, 07:12
These photos are a good guideline. As long as I can't see butt cheeks or breasts, I'll be ok. Well, to play it in front of my family.:lol:

raz-
7th May 2011, 16:29
I like the idea of having tears in her clothes that blow in the wind, it would look really cool. But there should be a toggle for the cuts/bruises and clothes tearing because I dont like the idea of running around with loads of little scrapes on her.

Elliot Kane
13th May 2011, 17:58
I voted for 'within reasonable limits', but a more honest answer would be 'keep it realistic'. If Lara's top gets ripped off by a bear or something without half her torso going with it, that's fan service, not realism. I wouldn't want that. Little rips and tears in her trousers if she's just run through a thorn bush, though, are entirely appropriate.

So, yeah. Showing wear and tear is good. Just having Lara suddenly naked for no reason at all is bad.

reqent
16th May 2011, 05:38
I put within reasonable limits although the bikini option was a close second. Its just weird that clothes would magically fix themselves because laura bandaged her knee.