PDA

View Full Version : Any Daylight in DX:HR?

viletomato
24th Mar 2011, 15:08
Hello,

I just want to ask a simple question. Does anyone know if there is going to be any daylight in this game? From all the screenshots and videos I have seen I don't remember seeing any shots that show outside daylight. The original game was almost entirely night time missions, and I really thought something during the day would add to the immersion of the game. I got excited when HK/Vandenburg came in Deus Ex because there was slightest glimpse of sunset/rise.

Oh ya by daylight i mean like BLUE SKY, not that evening orange stuff you see in the windows of some screenshots. Or does blue sky not exist in the future?

I know there is the cyberpunk covert type of style to the game so it is best that it remains dark....but is it all night night night?? Would you like to see some daylight missions?

Srosa
24th Mar 2011, 15:11
Well the second part of E3 demo (the Hengsha sea port) wasn't night. Maybe sunrise or sunset I don't understand, but that level is very bright, as I think some other will be too. And yeah, a freakking single mission during daylight wouldn't break the holy cyberpunk atmosphere.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
24th Mar 2011, 15:24
Daylight = Yes... Check out the official screenies. Seems to be North America.

Also check out the TGS trailer, Adam's apartment's window shutters are closing at dusk... so yep.

viletomato
24th Mar 2011, 15:43
Yes i can see there is dusk/dawn, but is there mid day type skies (blue)... there is just too much orange in this game. The cities glow so bright at night that it's hard to tell sometimes as well.

I only found one screenshot of mid day and that was just artwork... =(

Rainhands
24th Mar 2011, 15:56
To be honest, one mission set during the day would not be bad. I doubt that we will see the blue sky as you want it, but a little 'natural' light might add some depth to a game set solely at night.

TrickyVein
24th Mar 2011, 15:59
You are forgetting the roots of the genre!

There was a sliver of dawn-sunrise in Vandenburg. That was all.

MaxxQ1
24th Mar 2011, 16:04
Isn't the sky blue in the trailer with Rocket-Adam hitting the water next to the giant hole in the ocean?

viletomato
24th Mar 2011, 16:09
Isn't the sky blue in the trailer with Rocket-Adam hitting the water next to the giant hole in the ocean?

Oh yes I just hope that isn't just a cinematic but a real stage in the game... that would be a stage of EPIC proportions.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
24th Mar 2011, 17:47
The montreal screenies are very white/blue sky, like old DX, but that wasn't used.

I figure that Caisson is central to the story... perhaps even the collapse.

Trainwreck
24th Mar 2011, 18:06
Something set during dusk wouldn't be so bad; it could be used toward the beginning or some other part of the game to symbolize that sinister forces are about to shroud the world in darkness, etc. Similarly, the final levels of the game could employ dawn in order to show that things are about to get better. I think the latter part was the point in the original; as stated earlier, the Vandenberg and Area 51 levels showed dawn breaking, but strangely it was coming from the north. Immersion breaker! ;)

It's a nice, easy, yet still subtle, use of foreshadowing and symbolism, I think. But blue skies? Midday? C'mon guys, NOT in my Deus Ex! This ain't Mirror's Edge, ya know. ;)

[FGS]Shadowrunner
24th Mar 2011, 18:55
Yes DX1 texturing wasn't the greatest, sometimes textures with words were back to front etc and in completely the wrong location. It's amazing how many players fail to notice these fairly major errors.

The dawn was there I guess to show the end of "The Long Night", euphemism for a coup d'etat.

68_pie
24th Mar 2011, 20:49
To be honest, one mission set during the day would not be bad

Heresy! J'accuse!

Ashpolt
24th Mar 2011, 21:00
Heresy! J'accuse!

Sir, I disagree with your point (a daylight mission wouldn't be so bad) but I can't fault the classy way you've made it. Bravo! :cool:

3rdmillhouse
24th Mar 2011, 21:00
There's actually no sun in the Deus Ex universe.

JCpies
24th Mar 2011, 21:03
There's actually no sun in the Deus Ex universe.

So how does the moon light up? Or are the moon conspiracies true!?

3rdmillhouse
24th Mar 2011, 21:24

http://i53.tinypic.com/2zhpngm.jpg

I just thought of this. :lol:

mahmoudd
24th Mar 2011, 21:46
well

i believe the game will not have "cuts" of days between levels, i think it will be a continuous playthrough in the game's time

because i can't remember any level set during the day in deus ex 1

FuzzyPuffin
24th Mar 2011, 21:48

The Moon is augmented with nanobots.

Neuromancer07
25th Mar 2011, 02:09
I remember the previews of Invisible War which mentioned that Cairo would be the first daylight-mission of the Deus Ex though it ended up being twilight. My personal preference would be a mission or hub set in either an overcast or rainy period during the day. It would make a nice contrast and weather effects are always nice (except obviously when they aren't... like snow in Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion).

ArcR
25th Mar 2011, 02:43
Argh! I hate rain. It's always slowed down my computer... no matter what game.

K^2
25th Mar 2011, 02:59
Argh! I hate rain. It's always slowed down my computer... no matter what game.
Consider playing in-doors on rainy days.

Trainwreck
25th Mar 2011, 04:01
well

i believe the game will not have "cuts" of days between levels, i think it will be a continuous playthrough in the game's time

because i can't remember any level set during the day in deus ex 1

Speaking in terms of time withing the story, it's going to take place over a few days, at least (not counting the time it takes to get Adam augmented, of course). Just as Deus Ex took place over the span of many days, I wouldn't expect HR to be any different. It takes more than the 6 seconds of load time to get from New York to Hong Kong, ya know. ;)