PDA

View Full Version : Things you like about Human Revolution :D

MACGRUBER
23rd Mar 2011, 23:14
While I understand constructive criticism is a good thing and can communicate the things the community doesn't particularly like it has gotten ridiculous lately. Boycott and piracy threads? Cmon. Sure I'm not to hot on the third person and the highlighting is a little much but it isn't that awful is it? Remember too deus ex 1 had some problems itself *cough* terrible gun play *cough*. Name some positives about the game Eidos Montreal is so kindly making instead of another run of the mill military shooter.
1. Dialogue system with choices and chances to define your adam jenson.(Improved over deus ex?)
2. Committed to multi path gameplay.
3. Plot. While I generally don't care for prequels at least human revolution is tackling something controversial and complicated, Trans humanism. It's looking good so far.

pha
26th Mar 2011, 23:08
LOL I thought this was merged or something.

ArcR
26th Mar 2011, 23:11
Hmm... a Japanese MMO set in the DX:HR universe. Now you are tempting me Pha.

Deus_Ex_Machina
27th Mar 2011, 00:52
As I've said on several occasions, the only thing I like about DXHR that's worth pointing out is Federova's augmented butt. It just won't quit.

Techne
27th Mar 2011, 02:27
I haven't played either Deus Ex or Invisible War so I don't relay what qualifies as a good Deus Ex game. But As a life long fan of Sci-Fi and cyberpunk. I am loving the feel of the game's world and the characters that inhabit it. I even like the tenting, it's theatrical and evocative;though I do understand why some people can hate it.

The game-play footage that has been shown looks like a fusion of Metal Gear Solid and Mass Effect; and liking both games I'm cool with that!

IdiotInAJeep
27th Mar 2011, 02:30
Please never, ever compare Deus Ex to Mass Effect. The guys around here are like wolves.

Ganjadk
27th Mar 2011, 02:34
best thing about this is the forums..

waaahhh highlighting, waaahhh 3rd person, waaaaahh 26 august... waaaahh who gives a ****... crybaby!

EricaLeeV
27th Mar 2011, 02:49
Don't you mean 'things you like that you've seen so far about Human Revolution?'

:C I haven't had the chance to play the full game and I would be surprised if anyone else around here has had that opportunity.

In that case, I quite enjoy the art direction and world it seems to be building. After all that first E3 trailer got me interested in this series so I played the original Deus Ex and found that I adored the gameplay and would really like to see it again in a new game. I really feel I can't comment on any of the gameplay of DXHR until I've played it.

Nyysjan
27th Mar 2011, 04:49
1. Dialogue system with choices and chances to define your adam jenson.(Improved over deus ex?)
3. Plot. While I generally don't care for prequels at least human revolution is tackling something controversial and complicated, Trans humanism. It's looking good so far.

1. Good dialogue system that allows us to define our characters personality is a good thing, wether they succeed in making one. without falling into the constant bioware trap of forcing us into one of two archetypes (knight in shining armor or a jerk/psycho, altough the Dragon Age 2 added the option of being a jackass to the mix) remains to be seen.
2. Multiple paths is good, commitment to it awesome, but we need to see how well they actually manage doing it (the gameplay vid we got did not fil me with confidence).
3. Until we actually have played the game, it's impossible to know how good the plot actually is, or if they really manage to tackle the issue of trans humanism, human augmentation and social changes these would bring with anything approaching depth (or atleast maturity) remains to be seen, this said however, i will probably end up buying the game (either immediatly or waiting for a sale) just because it does have cyberpunk and trans humanism elements in it. Let's just hope the writers and devs don't end up distracted by something shiny (like cool powers, cinematic takedowns and oh so pretty glowy boxes).

Hmmm, i find myself unable to actually name anything about the game i like, probably because while there are some hopefull things about it (the plot, multipath gameplay, protagonist being a smoker), so much of it has been tainted be doubt over the time, and after so many dissapointments it's hard to actuallygrab onto something without starting to think how it could be messed up. :(

jd10013
27th Mar 2011, 11:21
Well, having seen so little it's hard to say. I guess mostly that it won't be just another halocod shooter and will actually have some depth and story.

Techne
27th Mar 2011, 16:43
Please never, ever compare Deus Ex to Mass Effect. The guys around here are like wolves.

Why do some of the guys around here not like Mass Effect or comparing it with the Deus Ex Series. Both Are Shooter Rpg hybrids. Both games are Sci-Fi Mass Effect Space Opera and Deus Ex Cyberpunk. Despite their similarities the style of both series are meant to appeal to different groups. Therefore I see no reason for conflict between the fanbases of the two series.

EricaLeeV
27th Mar 2011, 18:21
Why do some of the guys around here not like Mass Effect or comparing it with the Deus Ex Series. Both Are Shooter Rpg hybrids. Both games are Sci-Fi Mass Effect Space Opera and Deus Ex Cyberpunk. Despite their similarities the style of both series are meant to appeal to different groups. Therefore I see no reason for conflict between the fanbases of the two series.

I don't think that is the reason why there is a problem comparing it to Mass Effect. Maybe like me they are thinking of how the gameplay has changed from Mass Effect I to II. From what I've heard it's like comparing Oblivion to Dragon Age II; there is a difference in depth of gameplay. Mass Effect is an example of how games have become more streamlined; which is something the Deus Ex fans don't want to happen to their series.

AlexOfSpades
27th Mar 2011, 18:24
I dont quite understand the definition of streamlined.

For me, Mass Effect plays just like Deus Ex.

Care to explain to me, Erica?

EricaLeeV
27th Mar 2011, 18:27

For me, Mass Effect plays just like Deus Ex.

Care to explain to me, Erica?

I guess I am more talking about Mass Effect II. The gameplay got more simplified from I to II. That doesn't necessarily make it a bad game just a less complicated one. I enjoyed Mass Effect II more than I myself.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
27th Mar 2011, 19:35
Mass Effect is a glorified "wing commander" whose website description of the game looks like cheap TV sci-fi to be honest. It's completely fictional.

Deus Ex precisely predicted the next ten years. You can not begin to compare the level of genius in both games.

@ JCPie... Mech Augs have to go to the toilet too you know...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Mar 2011, 21:03
Some posts deleted, let's keep it classy folks.

LOL I thought this was merged or something.

Yeah, so did I. What happened? :nut:

TrickyVein
27th Mar 2011, 21:05
Blast...I missed a good show.

Perchance you could make a thread where all of the "bad" posts go? Just for hijinks?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Mar 2011, 21:09
Blast...I missed a good show.
Perchance you could make a thread where all of the "bad" posts go? Just for hijinks?

We already have one of those... but it's hidden in a secret area under the floor. Sorry. :p

oscarMike
27th Mar 2011, 21:23
Things you like about Human Revolution :D

The fact that it's been under construction for 4 years.

Von Paulus
27th Mar 2011, 21:25
The only thing that I enjoy so far, it's to know that has a cyberpunk environment.

Shadowrunner;1590690']Mass Effect is a glorified "wing commander" whose website description of the game looks like cheap TV sci-fi to be honest. It's completely fictional.

Deus Ex precisely predicted the next ten years. You can not begin to compare the level of genius in both games.

@ JCPie... Mech Augs have to go to the toilet too you know...
Well it's space opera. I like it, but I'd liked more if it had more RPG elements. It's too streamlined.

sonicsidewinder
27th Mar 2011, 21:40
I love HR's music.

TrickyVein
27th Mar 2011, 21:41
We already have one of those... but it's hidden in a secret area under the floor. Sorry. :p

I know the place you're talking about. Behind the yellow couch next to the table-stand? Where the carpet meets the wall? I always thought that place was only used for archives...but now I know. You mods probably meet there and laugh at us!

I think I would.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Mar 2011, 21:45
^
Woah! The secret's out! I bet you followed the trail of popcorn and cookie crumbs! :eek:
We do have a lot of laughs though. Ssssh. :whistle:

mahmoudd
27th Mar 2011, 21:46
deus ex

but it can backfire terribly

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Mar 2011, 22:13
Things I like... in fact, have always liked (taken from FAQs thread):

A huge cyberpunk story with conspiracies.
Non-linear, multi-path, multi-solution gameplay.
Different ways to solve any objective depending on your play style (social, hacking, stealth or action).
Character and weapon customization.
Action/RPG just like the first game.
Choices and consequences.
A semi-open world approach to levels and missions.
Different characters to meet and interact with.
An inventory system similar to DX1.
It's not a sandbox. It's not totally linear. It's like the best of both of those approaches.
Random explorable elements with earned experience points.
Global travel.

EricaLeeV
27th Mar 2011, 22:28
Things I like... in fact, have always liked (taken from FAQs thread):

A huge cyberpunk story with conspiracies.
Non-linear, multi-path, multi-solution gameplay.
Different ways to solve any objective depending on your play style (social, hacking, stealth or action).
Character and weapon customization.
Choices and consequences.
A semi-open world approach to levels and missions.
Different characters to meet and interact with.
An inventory system similar to DX1.
It's not a sandbox. It's not totally linear. It's like the best of both of those approaches.
Global travel.

:thumb:

[FGS]Shadowrunner
27th Mar 2011, 22:50
~When I read the term "Space Opera" Von Paulus made me feel rather guilty for my post. I was speaking negatively of ME rather than speaking positively of HR.

I like AJ's question to Megan about DOD clients in the "Meet Adam" trailer, could be a line from DX1.

wheresmyskulgun
27th Mar 2011, 23:36

Two things. Firstly, it's not an action/RPG anymore; being able to equip different augs doesn't make it an RPG any more than Call of Duty letting you equip different perks makes it an RPG. It's an FPS with light RPG elements, along the lines of Borderlands.

Second of all, what exactly does 'random' explorable elements mean? There's going to be random generation of maps? That doesn't sound plausible to me.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Mar 2011, 23:59
^
I've taken that list from the FAQs thread, so it isn't a personal checklist of my own.
I assume the 'random explorable elements' refers to side-quests... but I'm not certain.

Vae
28th Mar 2011, 00:45
I like the music, and the art design.

That's marketing-speak for "dumbed down"...Which of course means, reducing the complexity and depth in a game, in order to provide more accessibility for those who may be intimidated by such a thing.

jd10013
28th Mar 2011, 00:55
That's marketing-speak for "dumbed down"...Which of course means, reducing the complexity and depth in a game, in order to provide more accessibility for those who may be intimidated by such a thing.

or in all fairness, not interested. for a lot of people, a fun game is just mindless shooting and blowing things up. not that I'm one of those people mind you.

ArcR
28th Mar 2011, 01:10
or in all fairness, not interested. for a lot of people, a fun game is just mindless shooting and blowing things up. not that I'm one of those people mind you.

I tried writing a response to this but I started poking holes in my own theory. I agree with you and tried to explain the difference between dumbing down and streamlining. I'd like to say it has to do with the intent/content of the original IP. That said it's not easy taking something from a niche market and introducing it to the mainstream.

Deus_Ex_Machina
28th Mar 2011, 03:30
a fun game is just mindless shooting and blowing things up.

Well, sales don't lie...

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5109/5566928840_542fba5532_m.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5142/5566350415_8f82962716_m.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5302/5566350553_df9043a637_m.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5011/5566929160_b7fcd41ec5_m.jpg

Then again, what's the price of one's integrity as a game developer? Selling 100K plus copies of generic because they know people are stupid enough to buy it? :naughty:

Jerion
28th Mar 2011, 05:49

Not necessarily. Streamlining is often used in that sense, but I've found that in at least one case it actually is what it means: Streamlining. In C2, The Nanosuit handles a bit differently than it does in C1, but the complexity of energy management and situational adaptation is more or less the same. The only difference is a slicker and simpler control scheme. I feel that although deterioration of one is often coupled with deterioration of the other, there is a definite difference between 'Streamlining' vs. 'Clunkiness' and 'Dumbing Down' vs. 'Complexity'.

Vae
28th Mar 2011, 06:18
Not necessarily. Streamlining is often used in that sense, but I've found that in at least one case it actually is what it means: Streamlining. In C2, The Nanosuit handles a bit differently than it does in C1, but the complexity of energy management and situational adaptation is more or less the same. The only difference is a slicker and simpler control scheme.

I agree that this is true in theory, yet rarely is it found in practice...In theory, true "streamlining" is the reduction of complexity, in order to minimize clunkiness, without taking away depth from the game...Reducing depth, is what is referred to as "dumbing down"...Yet, as I've said, in practice, it is rare to find what is called "streamlining", that doesn't also take away some of the depth of the experience...so that is why in general, "dumbing down" and so-called "streamlining" are the same.

I feel that although deterioration of one is often coupled with deterioration of the other, there is a definite difference between 'Streamlining' vs. 'Clunkiness' and 'Dumbing Down' vs. 'Complexity'.

Yes, as is more often than not, they are coupled together...

...and more accurately stated as:

"Streamlining" vs. "Complexity" (Clunkiness is an aspect of complexity)

"Dumbing Down" vs. "Depth"

Trainwreck
28th Mar 2011, 07:40
Undeniable positives for me so far:
+ They revamped the hacking! It's no longer just a "click and forget" system, which is awesome. Engages the player more.
+ The series now has art direction instead of just attempt to mimic reality with lots of added blues and grays. Though it does look repetitive in some of the footage.
+ The music is superb, and easily superior to anything else the series has had so far. And yes, I love the original game's soundtrack and theme.
+ Conversation system seems to have been improved.
+ Production quality seems to be leaps and bounds ahead of the previous two games.
+ Outstanding voice acting (even with Jensen's best Bat-Bale impression, lol), far superior to the first two games.

I'm just hoping the plot will live up. Playing through the original game, there are many areas where the designers dropped the ball when it came to consistency. Namely, why would a secretive organization like Majestic 12 have uniforms? How did Jock get JC to Hong Kong from New York in, what, 12 hours? Nevertheless, the game was great fun, and the story was a lot of fun. This time around though, I'd like writing on the level of Neuromancer or other iconic cyberpunk (don't get me wrong, I don't expect it to be THAT good, but I'm sure it will be good for a video game).

Shade night
29th Mar 2011, 02:03
I like the reloading animation for the assault rifle is cool but not exactly practical.
nice to see something new though after playing so many games where the guns all seem the same

Shaltiar
29th Mar 2011, 02:21
I like the Cyberpunk genre. Neuromancer is one of my favorite books. I also like the idea of augmentation. I like the FPS mixed with RPG elements. I loved Both the first and second game. Yes it seems to make me a minority, but I liked Invisible War. I like the options involved with the game play.

Melfice_Cyrum
29th Mar 2011, 02:37
I wish there was some form of co-op multiplayer. I mean think about it, we hear about how there's going to be multiple ways to approach a situation. Imagine if you and your friends used each of these multiple paths to achieve a goal. One person goes in through the roof to disable security. Another goes in through the ducts to peek in on guard patrols. And once everyone is ready to leave, someone provides a distraction by drawing the guards away.

Admittedly it's just a pipe dream, but you have to admit, it is a lovely looking one.

k0rdseka
29th Mar 2011, 03:07
No more picking up the ******* combat knife every time you loot a corpse :) :) :)

jtr7
29th Mar 2011, 04:23
I wish there was some form of co-op multiplayer. I mean think about it, we hear about how there's going to be multiple ways to approach a situation. Imagine if you and your friends used each of these multiple paths to achieve a goal. One person goes in through the roof to disable security. Another goes in through the ducts to peek in on guard patrols. And once everyone is ready to leave, someone provides a distraction by drawing the guards away.

Admittedly it's just a pipe dream, but you have to admit, it is a lovely looking one.

Wrong thread, heh heh. Multi-player is also complicated as hell to implement in a game like this where it's already complicated as hell for single-player. It would definitely need to be outsourced and released at a later date.

With a thread like this and the goodly number of members who hate the nitpicking, how come the lists are so few and so short?

I like the complexity, but we'll have to see how well it holds together from beginning to end on multiple paths, so that's a ways off.
I like the soundtrack so far.
I like the possibility of stealth, but it remains to be seen if AIs always have to be taken out in every mission, no matter how.
I like all the recognizable and faithful elements from the original game, which will help it feel like coming home again.
I like the artistic flair in the environment--aside fromt he filter and distortion.
I like the acting well enough, so far, and just wonder how much we'll have to hear Barrett, and if other characters may be worse.
I like the lack of too much intrusive body-awareness in 1P view so the view is opened up, since the player model can never be moved out of the way of the view as its counterpart in real life, yet.
I like how much detail there is, and wonder how much the tech would allow some details of design to be allocated differently.

Ninjerk
29th Mar 2011, 10:40
Not only do I appreciate how many weapons they've put into the game, I like the design of most of them. The revolver has a kind of Raging Bull feel to it, but with a sexier design.

I like the one music track that I know of.

I'm hoping I will like the Federova character (if I do end up playing it). I appreciated Anna Navarre have some sort of adherence to the "tough-as-nails" cyberpunk femme (while not being a Molly Millions clone).

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Brockxz
29th Mar 2011, 10:48
For now i like only music. I don 't have anything to complain about that :) Don 't have final opinion about other game elements.

deusfox
29th Mar 2011, 16:01
Obviously its hard to tell without having played it, but from videos, previews and pretty much everything I can dig up on this game, it seems this game is mirroring the originals spirit in alot of ways - it didnt matter that Deus Ex had so-so graphics for its time, because there was a million other things which when you put together, all encompassed into this amazing experience.

Describe how amazing it was, and why, to friends didnt do it justice, nor did videos or trailers of the gameplay in action. I think the same is happening with Human Revolution. Its no doubt proving very difficult to release footage, bits of info etc and please everyone. But going on facts as apposed to speculation, there are things which I'm really liking the sound of, for instance weve heard in the first level you can read an easy-to-miss data pad on a desk and open up a whole new side mission before even leaving for the primary goal, which suggests the spirit of Deus Ex is very much alive. Now if Eidos Montreal understand what it is to capture the spirit of Deus Ex (and that particular example says to me they do, at least to some extent) it means they know why the first was great, and (for me) that bodes well for this sequel.

From now on everytime someone on some random forum or website says the graphics dont look as good as Crysis, or the animation is a bit stiff, Ill be thinking 'good' because it probably means elsewhere they've put a **** ton more work into the things that really matter in a Deus Ex game.

Vasarto
29th Mar 2011, 21:21
I like these things

1. Health Regen
2. Third Person Take Downs
3. The latters is glowing! I think its lame and funny at the same time.
4. The weapons options they have thus far sound cool
5. Beginning story premise sounds neat.
6. Graphics look amazing
7. Music is gonna be epic
8. They were correct in saying they balanced out the game with multi ways to explore and do things.
9. Mechanical arms are cool
10. The characters seem cool.

ZakKa89
29th Mar 2011, 21:36
Man too much.

-Extremely detailed world. They made up hundreds of brands for example!
-Design, design and design. The weapons, clothes, levels, everything. Even the black and gold, though I hope there will plenty of levels with different colors in them like in mirror's edge.
-Looks like it stays true to DX gameplay and the developers really understand what makes the first deus ex great, and I am already t convinced this is a way better game than IW
-Innovates without straying away from the dx-formula.
-takedowns look sweet.
-AJ has a cool voice
-Music

I'm psyched

Then again, what's the price of one's integrity as a game developer? Selling 100K plus copies of generic because they know people are stupid enough to buy it? :naughty:

Have you even played bulletstorm? The game is surprisingly fun and not generic at all imo.

Angel-A
31st Mar 2011, 00:22
I like the oh-range.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Apr 2011, 14:14
I like the oh-range.

Or, to put it poetically, the gorgeous, amber-lit world of "Deus Ex: Human Revolution".

Interinactive
1st Apr 2011, 14:16
Is it not a double standard that posts pointing out what would be negative aspects of the game get deleted or merged yet ones such as this are fine?

It is also strange that you "have to play a game to make judgements" based upon it, yet if it's anything promoting it, it's entirely fine.

:S

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Apr 2011, 14:26
^

No double-standards going on... this is not a conspiracy. :p

Seriously though, we don't care if threads are positive or negative so long as they stay classy.
BUT what usually happens 99.9% of the time is that we end up merging BOTH positive and negative threads together (relating to a similar topic) - simply because both threads end up the same, ie. people come in and give their views. So, a positive thread ends up with people stating counter-arguments, and vice versa.

Not sure what you're asking in the last sentence though. People are free all day long to make judgments.... and they do.

Interinactive
1st Apr 2011, 14:43
It's the stigma attached to it.

Anybody calling a game rubbish before they have played it are told they need to play the game first. Despite the amount of confirmed features, hours of video available, interviews, past games the devs have worked on etc. On the opposite end of the stick, you can say it'll have a great story, good dialog choices and so on with no rebuttal.

They're both opinions, based on the same information available, I just find it interesting is all.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
1st Apr 2011, 14:47
^

Yes, there are some people who call the game rubbish and there are other people who will disagree (and will advise them they should wait and play the game first). It's the colour of conversation, and you'll see it in just about every thread on this forum. :)

cavefish
1st Apr 2011, 15:14
While I understand constructive criticism is a good thing and can communicate the things the community doesn't particularly like it has gotten ridiculous lately. Boycott and piracy threads? Cmon. Sure I'm not to hot on the third person and the highlighting is a little much but it isn't that awful is it? Remember too deus ex 1 had some problems itself *cough* terrible gun play *cough*. Name some positives about the game Eidos Montreal is so kindly making instead of another run of the mill military shooter.

We've had those threads, mind you, so do not draw conclusion by checking only several threads on the first page. Check the archive first. Always. I read them anyway, didn't even have to write anything myself (I think I did not have my account back then). People were rather exhaustive about the issues related.

Whompa
1st Apr 2011, 15:19
-graphics
-music
-art direction

all 3 are awesome.

Angel-A
1st Apr 2011, 19:21
Or, to put it poetically, the gorgeous, amber-lit world of "Deus Ex: Human Revolution".

You mean the oh-range.