PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT! Mouse Acceleration

Takanasi
23rd Mar 2011, 06:15
In the past few years, almost every single game that has been a console port to PC has had serious problems with mouse acceleration. More specifically it has been hard or impossible to completely disable it and to do it you will have had to do some config eiditing(like .ini files in Unreal engines) and so forth.

Just want to remind the developers that they take an extra look at the mouse input in the PC version so that it's done right.

MechBFP
23rd Mar 2011, 06:21
No argument here. The time it takes to do this properly is peanuts, so I have yet to understand why it is consistently a problem in lots of other games.

motsm
23rd Mar 2011, 06:30
No argument here. The time it takes to do this properly is peanuts, so I have yet to understand why it is consistently a problem in lots of other games.The only viable reasons could be they are completely ignorant to how mouse control works, or they are just so lazy they don't want to implement proper mouse control. Either way, game developers that release their games with forced mouse acceleration really don't deserve be developing games.

Brockxz
23rd Mar 2011, 07:19
No argument here. The time it takes to do this properly is peanuts, so I have yet to understand why it is consistently a problem in lots of other games.

Because as you can see in most promotions etc they prefer to play on consoles and overlook the problems on PC. I really hope that won 't be a problem with EM as they have said that they are dedicated to make PC version to be great :lol:

ZakKa89
23rd Mar 2011, 08:53
Example of recent terrible mouse acceleration: Crysis 2. Just doesn't feel right.
Multiplayer even has auto-aim by the way

Brockxz
23rd Mar 2011, 08:57
Example of recent terrible mouse acceleration: Crysis 2. Just doesn't feel right.
Multiplayer even has auto-aim by the way

No it doesn't have auto-aim. Auto-aim works only if you use any other controller than mouse and keyboard. It has been stated already 101 times by Crytek.

VectorM
23rd Mar 2011, 09:45
Auto-aim in Crysis 2 has been removed with a patch.

pha
23rd Mar 2011, 09:51
^ Yes, the first patch fully disables the aim assist in multiplayer, even if you use a controller.

In the past few years, almost every single game that has been a console port to PC has had serious problems with mouse acceleration.

Whenever you play a game with bad mouse behavior out of the box, you know it wasn't adequately tested with a mouse and the "equal attention to all released platforms" jazz immediately becomes invalid.

ZakKa89
23rd Mar 2011, 10:47
Good to hear, mouse acceleration still remains though...

Neuromancer07
23rd Mar 2011, 11:05
"equal attention to all released platforms" jazz...

Whenever someone writes 'jazz' in off-hand usage in text I'm quickly reading, my mind stops for a second and hopes actual jazz is being discussed, forcing me to re-read.

>You will never discuss modal jazz in relation to Deus Ex.
>sadfrog.jpg

pha
23rd Mar 2011, 16:42
Sorry to disappoint. Perhaps next time.

mahmoudd
23rd Mar 2011, 18:51
Good to hear, mouse acceleration still remains though...

you can turn it off with a command, it's awesome without the ****ty acceleration

another game that ****ed up mouse acceleration badly: dead space

******* unplayable

i hope EM does not **** up with mouse acceleration with dx3
that **** is infuriating

AlexOfSpades
23rd Mar 2011, 19:12
Chill down, Mahmmoud.

Dead space had awful controls, specially the first one, but i think its part of the survival horror style.

Shralla
23rd Mar 2011, 19:22
No, it just had **** controls. Don't make excuses for incompetent ports.

oxoxoxo
23rd Mar 2011, 19:36
dead space 1 felt fine and sharp without vertical sync
cant say the same for dead space 2 though

ZakKa89
23rd Mar 2011, 22:04
you can turn it off with a command, it's awesome without the ****ty acceleration

another game that ****ed up mouse acceleration badly: dead space

******* unplayable

i hope EM does not **** up with mouse acceleration with dx3
that **** is infuriating

so you're saying I can turn off the mouse accelartion in multiplayer in crysis 2? Good to hear, good to hear. However, should be an option in the menu.

AlexOfSpades
23rd Mar 2011, 22:14
If Dead Space 1 had Unreal-like controls, there would be no hope for the necromorphs.

I'd be a headshotting machine

Arksun
23rd Mar 2011, 22:15
In the past few years, almost every single game that has been a console port to PC has had serious problems with mouse acceleration. More specifically it has been hard or impossible to completely disable it and to do it you will have had to do some config eiditing(like .ini files in Unreal engines) and so forth.

Just want to remind the developers that they take an extra look at the mouse input in the PC version so that it's done right.

Mouse sensitivity in options is always a good idea yup.

One game that didn't screw it up imho was Assassins Creed 2 which I own. Sure the mouse moved very slowly in menu's, but you could use keyboard to control that anyways. In terms of in-game mouse movement changing the viewing angle it was spot on.

And the 'Press Start' part didnt' bother me. OH NOOOZ, 2 SECONDS OF MY LIFE WASTED!

Ashpolt
23rd Mar 2011, 22:19
And the 'Press Start' part didnt' bother me. OH NOOOZ, 2 SECONDS OF MY LIFE WASTED!

As with many things, it's about the underlying cause rather than the effect. A "Press Start" screen shows that the game (or at very least, the menu) has just been ported straight from the console version with a minimal amount of care. That screen in itself doesn't have a huge impact, but it's what it represents that's the issue.

I haven't played AC2 on PC (I bought it on PS3 - I know, hardcore PC elitist Ashpolt buying a multiplat game on console! Shock! Horror!) but what you describe sounds like a bad port to me. The fact that it works well in gameplay is great (and of the two, the better to have working correctly) but that doesn't make the fact that the menus are poor acceptable, IMO.

mahmoudd
23rd Mar 2011, 22:22
if it wasn't press start it would be press enter

i dont mind

but press any key > press start

nomotog
23rd Mar 2011, 22:35

What dose mouse acceleration do? I don't play a lot of games on PC, so I honestly don't know.

MechBFP
23rd Mar 2011, 23:15
What dose mouse acceleration do? I don't play a lot of games on PC, so I honestly don't know.

The faster you move your mouse, the more it moves the cursor across the screen. The slower you move the mouse, the shorter the cursor moves across the screen.

Takanasi
24th Mar 2011, 06:46
The faster you move your mouse, the more it moves the cursor across the screen. The slower you move the mouse, the shorter the cursor moves across the screen.
To nitpick, that's how it works without acceleration. :)

In short: Cursor distance traveled on screen depends not only on the distance of mouse movement but also the speed of mouse movement.

So for example if you move your mouse across your 20 inch mousepad slowly, you might turn 360° in-game. But if you move your mouse across the mouse pad very quickly, you might turn 720°.

K^2
24th Mar 2011, 07:31
So for example if you move your mouse across your 20 inch mousepad slowly, you might turn 360° in-game. But if you move your mouse across the mouse pad very quickly, you might turn 720°.
And are we for or against that, as a group?

I would much rather have distance mouse traveled converted directly into the turn angle, so that the same shift is a 180° whether I turn fast or slow. I don't know how much of a difference it makes in SP FPS, but in a decent death match, you want to execute perfect 90° and 180° without unnecessary thought, and having different results based on slight variation on speed would be bad.

Am I on board with everyone else?

P.S. People who did a 360° over width of the mousepad were slaughtered in the QII days. Just saying.

jtr7
24th Mar 2011, 08:01
I'm used to the slider option for adjusting mouse sensitivity, especially since games' defaults are usually different than my desktop settings to annoyance. The mouse inversion is a must for those whose muscle-memory is attuned to flight simulators, etc.

motsm
24th Mar 2011, 08:04
Am I on board with everyone else?Yes.

K^2
24th Mar 2011, 08:59
Good to know.

I'm used to the slider option for adjusting mouse sensitivity, especially since games' defaults are usually different than my desktop settings to annoyance. The mouse inversion is a must for those whose muscle-memory is attuned to flight simulators, etc.
Oh, yes, a sensitivity option is very important.

For some reason, I don't have the sim problem. If I'm piloting something, yes, I want "up" to dive. But when I'm controlling camera in first person, "up" means up. Probably because I started playing both at about the same time. Mech games sometimes throw me off, though.

Brockxz
24th Mar 2011, 11:29
i hate mouse inversion more than acceleration. For me up is up everywhere. Even in flight sims i want up to be up not dive.

nomotog
24th Mar 2011, 12:35
To nitpick, that's how it works without acceleration. :)

In short: Cursor distance traveled on screen depends not only on the distance of mouse movement but also the speed of mouse movement.

Maybe it's bad when you use it, but that sounds like a good thing. I hate it in games where I have to pick up my mouse and slide it twice to turn a 180. Dose fallout3/NV use it?

ZakKa89
24th Mar 2011, 12:42
I can perfectly do a 180 without mouse acceleration in one swipe. I play with pretty high sensitivty though. Imo, when you need to do exactly one large, fast swipe with the mouse to do a 180, that's when the mouse sensitivty is perfect.