PDA

View Full Version : Question about TOMB RAIDER...

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
23rd Mar 2011, 01:48
The new TOMB RAIDER game looks amazing, and it's been getting tons of buzz. But I have one question regarding Lara's latest adventure. It's known that Lara is going to be stranded on an island in Japan after the ship she's riding, 'Endurance', crashes into a collection of rocks in the ocean. Now that we know that this island will be one level in the game, will there be other levels outside of this island?

Gemma_Darkmoon_
23rd Mar 2011, 03:44
From what I know I think the answer is no.

Ants_27_
23rd Mar 2011, 08:24
I think it similarly to the way Uncharted Drakes Fortune worked. It'll be, from how I understand it be revolved around this island in chapters I guess. :)

a_big_house
23rd Mar 2011, 21:31
Possibly a Just Cause scenario? e.g. Freedom to roam the island and surroundings (if any) but missions are in selected areas.

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
23rd Mar 2011, 23:07
mmmm that does seem like a likely possibility...
i really hope that there's more than one location that we get to visit though :(

Ants_27_
24th Mar 2011, 07:46
i really hope that there's more than one location that we get to visit though :(

That's the problem. It worked for Uncharted one at least, I remember playing that and greatly enjoying and not once did I wish it had more than one location to gallivant around... but I suppose some people did.:scratch:

As for the world itself I've understood it to be partially open-world, unlike GTA or Just Cause and in it's place the whole semi-open world? Although, I do have the habit of not listening during things like interviews the longer they prattle on!:lol:

larafan25
26th Mar 2011, 22:49

The island itself will provide enough variety in atmosphere, colour, scenery, complexity, etc...

The problem with globe trotting is you waste the location and culture because Lara only steps into it for a while. I like the cultures being fleshed out and I want to explore different parts of the diverse regions certain locations have to offer.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
27th Mar 2011, 02:27
I much prefer globetroting to fixed location. It can provide so much more variation to the game and the chance to visit incredible sites like venice and London without having a full game there. I think that the classics did globetroting in a far better way in that they chose just 4-5 locations and divided the game between them rather than the CD take of a different location for each level. That lost the depth to the different sites though it still made legend feel very fresh and new throughout.

If the island has snowy mountains, jungle and a volcano then could be good though to give variation. Panau from JC2 is a good example of how to create an exciting environment from an island setting.

Natla
27th Mar 2011, 07:13
The island itself will provide enough variety in atmosphere, colour, scenery, complexity, etc...

How do you know?

Denis..
27th Mar 2011, 07:14
hmm ima go with ants here and support uncharted..
i would love to see that in tr..
remember how the tr anniversary levels changed?
without actually going to a new place? basically anniversary was 4 huge levels..

Ants_27_
27th Mar 2011, 08:56
without actually going to a new place? basically anniversary was 4 huge levels..

Not only that, it's quite an interesting idea for the level designers themselves. If they do a good enough job with each then the player at times will forgot that they are just stuck in the same location.

Besides it would break everything they've been going on about. She's meant to survive and then suddenly takes a break to go to somewhere else then go back?:)

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
27th Mar 2011, 22:28

Not only that, it's quite an interesting idea for the level designers themselves. If they do a good enough job with each then the player at times will forgot that they are just stuck in the same location.

Besides it would break everything they've been going on about. She's meant to survive and then suddenly takes a break to go to somewhere else then go back?:)

i personally loved the whole globe-trotting idea, but i suppose that one gigantic level idea wouldn't be bad either. but i guess that means saying goodbye to multiple outfits as well :(

larafan25
31st Mar 2011, 17:16
How do you know?

Woops, I must have stated that wrong. CD are going to make everything on the island the same boring colour scheme, atmosphere, and environment because they know how well that will go down.

Obviously the island will be diverse, I'm also pretty sure they said so in the podcast. It just makes sense, also given it was said in the leaked game survey which is pretty much the core of TR9.

I'm willing to bet money.

Natla
31st Mar 2011, 17:51
I probably got the wrong impression but in Underworld they seemed to be giving everything a name to give the impression of lots of levels - "The Corridor of Thor", "The Walk-In Wardrobe Of The Gods", and so on. I hope they don't do that for the next game.

aragorn2
31st Mar 2011, 19:44
I would like to see the team focused on one location. A big island like Crysis wouldn't be boring for anyone i think. In Greece we say "Better with less and good than more and bad". Sorry for the "exicution" of translation :P

larafan25
1st Apr 2011, 01:02
I probably got the wrong impression but in Underworld they seemed to be giving everything a name to give the impression of lots of levels - "The Corridor of Thor", "The Walk-In Wardrobe Of The Gods", and so on. I hope they don't do that for the next game.

Yeah. Or they were just chapters splitting up locations.