PDA

View Full Version : Random Movement style?

auric
22nd Mar 2011, 20:52
1 thing I was wondering when watching the trailer.

Its the way he use the ladder, does it have to be the same way all the time, can't there be multiple action the way he use it?
like rather than going to its right only, how about the left? or straight forward.
What about speed on getting to it, like u run & click the ladder, maybe like he jump off the roof slightly, while grabbing the ladder & turns around. :D

how about climbing up, some people, me included like to run & jump grab the ladder in DXI
so maybe we see him jumping & grabbing with 1 or 2 hands & pulls himself up.

Just a thought to make it look more realistically different.
:)

can get kinda boring seeing the same movements all the time, well not to me but to some others it may.
Or maybe now only they'll get bored because I mentioned it, lol
Ignorance is bliss?
:D

AlexOfSpades
22nd Mar 2011, 20:54
Just leave the thing in first person and no one will have to worry about that.

auric
22nd Mar 2011, 21:31
Splinter Cell did a good job at it. :)

love the jump grab view, since its the only one in existence.

K^2
22nd Mar 2011, 22:03
No, no. They did such a fine job on that climbing animations, that they want us to see it, memorize it, worship it. That's why the view switches to third person, and it's always the same animation.

auric
22nd Mar 2011, 22:05
In other words, the bionic being can't jump off the roof to grab hold the nearest ladder like in DX1 & other games. What a bummer.

Uhh, DX1 can do that right? can't recall properly

bukkit
22nd Mar 2011, 22:07
No, no. They did such a fine job on that climbing animations, that they want us to see it, memorize it, worship it. That's why the view switches to third person, and it's always the same animation.

this!

i simply love it. waiting for an 'always 3rd person' mod :whistle:

mahmoudd
22nd Mar 2011, 22:57
it would be hard to make a third person only mod

there would be a lot to mod

they probably didn't make a full 3D model and the animations of the body when you're in first person, like in half life 2

ArcR
23rd Mar 2011, 03:08

+1

We won't be able to jump off mid ladder. I'm assuming it's scripted and the levels are designed with that in mind. I'll wait for the demo to (a) prove me wrong (b) show its a good idea/works well.

Knoted
23rd Mar 2011, 03:12
Splinter Cell did a good job at it. :)

love the jump grab view, since its the only one in existence.
Previews of Uncharted 3 show a similar move. Those games rock because
of the character animations.

auric
23rd Mar 2011, 12:15
Previews of Uncharted 3 show a similar move. Those games rock because
of the character animations.

Ya, :)

but in this case, not asking for a full 3D mode, just add some diversity to the visual effects. :)

biofuel
23rd Mar 2011, 15:22
Not sure, but great thread title..

Rainbow6Team
23rd Mar 2011, 16:05
How about sliding down a ladder?

auric
23rd Mar 2011, 16:21
bionic arms shouldn't burn, so he "should" be able to.
SC had rubber globes or whatever material it is. :D
but he still slides down without gloves in some mission.

luminar
23rd Mar 2011, 16:37
In other words, the bionic being can't jump off the roof to grab hold the nearest ladder like in DX1 & other games. What a bummer.

Uhh, DX1 can do that right? can't recall properly

This is a mega bummer! Imagine the tactical choices that would be taken away if they implement ladders wrong.

auric
24th Mar 2011, 09:10
This is a mega bummer! Imagine the tactical choices that would be taken away if they implement ladders wrong.

I don't mind click to use a ladder, if only u can still click while mid falling next to a ladder. :D
to grab hold.

68_pie
24th Mar 2011, 09:20
Have they shown whether you can jump off a ladder half-way down?

auric
24th Mar 2011, 09:23
Have they shown whether you can jump off a ladder half-way down?

For some reason I don't think so, got a feeling its, all the way up or down per click.
hope i'm wrong

7h30n
24th Mar 2011, 09:31
You know reading all these news past couple of days I think this game should have been 3rd person. Yes, I know blasphemy!
And as much as I would like it to be first person it's obvious that developers really want to depict "awesome takedowns and other awesome animations" in 3rd person so that next-gen gamers get attracted to a series they've never heard about before.

But the problem the EM had walked into is this butchered system of transitions between FP and TP thus limiting the actions player can perform. If the game was fully in 3rd the gameplay focus would be on fluid animations which transition into many options. Look at Assasin's Creed, Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia. You can run up a ladder, jump onto a ladder from a wall etc. But what we are getting with FP into TP transitions is unecessary slowdowns and wierd limitations. If you want to get on a ladder you have to approach and press 'use' which then translates into seconds of waiting the animation to finish.

Not to say those damn-awesome takedowns ... They surely look awesome in AC, Uncharted etc. Because there they are fluid. In DX:HR we get to walk up to a guard and press a button and suddenly everything freezes (you might have noticed in that demo where a guard gets taken down in the middle of walk action) as if the guard knows he needs to stand still because he is getting taken down. We are greeted yet again to out-of-the-body experience...

I'd rather have a full polished 3rd person game that I would play with gamepad than questionable system of transitions and reputation of mesing up the PC port controls which don't work on keyb+mouse nor gamepad

Oh well... As someone else said in another thread. EM needs to pull of a miracle with this because so far things aren't looking that good. (Especially so from a PC perspective).

Knoted
24th Mar 2011, 09:47
In DX:HR we get to walk up to a guard and press a button and suddenly everything freezes (you might have noticed in that demo where a guard gets taken down in the middle of walk action) as if the guard knows he needs to stand still because he is getting taken down. We are greeted yet again to out-of-the-body experience...

In another thread I already proposed a solution for this, were it not for the fact that we know now....that Adam in 1st person view is only the camera.

If he were an actual character model 'actor', then it would have allowed for his hands to reach out at the guard in 1st person mode - then the screen would cross dissolve nicely into the actual take down, seen from 3rd person mode. This transition would feel less jarring because you'd see the start of the take down move from 1st person, thus connecting it to the 3rd person mode in a fluid manner.

But alas, somehow the game doesn't include the Adam character model in 1st person mode, thus, such a transition mode isn't possible. It's a binary thing. Character model ON/OFF.

auric
24th Mar 2011, 09:48
delete

ZakKa89
24th Mar 2011, 09:48
You know reading all these news past couple of days I think this game should have been 3rd person. Yes, I know blasphemy!
And as much as I would like it to be first person it's obvious that developers really want to depict "awesome takedowns and other awesome animations" in 3rd person so that next-gen gamers get attracted to a series they've never heard about before.

But the problem the EM had walked into is this butchered system of transitions between FP and TP thus limiting the actions player can perform. If the game was fully in 3rd the gameplay focus would be on fluid animations which transition into many options. Look at Assasin's Creed, Splinter Cell and Prince of Persia. You can run up a ladder, jump onto a ladder from a wall etc. But what we are getting with FP into TP transitions is unecessary slowdowns and wierd limitations. If you want to get on a ladder you have to approach and press 'use' which then translates into seconds of waiting the animation to finish.

Not to say those damn-awesome takedowns ... They surely look awesome in AC, Uncharted etc. Because there they are fluid. In DX:HR we get to walk up to a guard and press a button and suddenly everything freezes (you might have noticed in that demo where a guard gets taken down in the middle of walk action) as if the guard knows he needs to stand still because he is getting taken down. We are greeted yet again to out-of-the-body experience...

I'd rather have a full polished 3rd person game that I would play with gamepad than questionable system of transitions and reputation of mesing up the PC port controls which don't work on keyb+mouse nor gamepad

Oh well... As someone else said in another thread. EM needs to pull of a miracle with this because so far things aren't looking that good. (Especially so from a PC perspective).

I disagree with everything you've said. The takedowns in Uncharted 2 (even ucnharted 3 judging from the gameplay) are a lot less fluid imo then what we've seen from dehr. They've always looked akward to me with the stupid slowmotion and badly animated. And there is no reason to believe the switching between third person and first person won't work on keyboard+mouse. If anything it should work better then on a gamepad. :scratch:

auric
24th Mar 2011, 09:49
1. An example of that is, the guard was holding a cell phone, suddenly when u click him, it dissapears.
Let us see the phone drop & smash. :D
An I-Phone 10
:o

2. One most IMPORTANT thing. I'm sure someone pointed it out before.
Facial expression!!!

That guy is being gutted & smack, yet his face is expressionless, lol

That's a bummer in another game I can't remember, they actually release the game that way.
Not counting DX: IW, the bouncing Manequin.

3. Speaking of which, what happens when you hit a dead body in this game?

Knoted
24th Mar 2011, 09:52
That guy is being gutted & smack, yet his face is expressionless, lol

Would be funny if his default face was smiling. Then as Adam would kill him, he'd look like he's enjoying it. lol

auric
24th Mar 2011, 09:57
Would be funny if his default face was smiling. Then as Adam would kill him, he'd look like he's enjoying it. lol

Only 1 game can pull that off.
Batman with the Joker.

love the Dark Knight, when he threw the Joker off the building, he laughed all the way down.
:lmao:

7h30n
24th Mar 2011, 10:00
I disagree with everything you've said. The takedowns in Uncharted 2 (even ucnharted 3 judging from the gameplay) are a lot less fluid imo then what we've seen from dehr. They've always looked akward to me with the stupid slowmotion and badly animated. And there is no reason to believe the switching between third person and first person won't work on keyboard+mouse. If anything it should work better then on a gamepad. :scratch:

Yes, it's logical to think that it would work better on keyb+mouse because after all keyb+mouse is better suited for FP gameplay which most of (I guess) DX:HR is in. But, I've taken into consideration that almost every console port has had some sort of mouse acelleretion and keyboard issues. It will need to some patches to get it working better than on a gamepad. Yes, I know that conclusion is wrong generalization but I have yet to see it disapproved.

Now ofcourse, I would love it if EM proved us wrong and DX:HR would be the best game this year not only on consoles but on PC also.

Oh, and you got me there on Uncharted I haven't played it and I should've not mentioned it. I guess the popularity of it nudged me to throw it into the mix.

auric
24th Mar 2011, 13:10
release on August, damn, so close.

hope they got time to improve it.
:)

BTW, another thing I noticed & reminded me of SC's old mistake.
Well, than again maybe its not much of a problem for a FPS

The issue was, dragging a body & able to open the door at the same time.
In SC however, u need to pick the body up.
This instead just drag, guess not much of a big deal, lol

can just open & drag quickly.