PDA

View Full Version : New Gameplay Trailer - 3.18.11 - Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3

TheYouthCounselor
17th Mar 2011, 19:17
Via Twitter:

SquareEnixSonia

Deus Ex fans! Super long awesome new gameplay trailer @GameSpot tomorrow at 8amPDT (AU/UK folks: Will be up locally too) #DEHR

So can't wait!

Kodaemon
17th Mar 2011, 19:30
Prediction: trailer consists of

40% third-person takedowns,

30% third person shooting,

15% first person shooting

14% hammy one liners

1% other

EricaLeeV
17th Mar 2011, 19:43

14% hammy one liners

1% other

:thumbsup:

Still looking forward to it though. :)

Spyhopping
17th Mar 2011, 19:43
I hope we get something a little different this time. 50% exploration, 49% conversation and 1% Stilton one liner, please. There's no point trying to escape the one liners.

nomotog
17th Mar 2011, 19:55
Do you think it will just be what was at PAX?

EricaLeeV
17th Mar 2011, 19:58
Do you think it will just be what was at PAX?

Probably a cleaned up and edited version, yes.

Kodaemon
17th Mar 2011, 19:58
Oh, I forgot: it will be 100% console footage.

Reven
17th Mar 2011, 20:19
And don't forget lots of Max payne style monologues to quick paced music. "there was a bullet shaped hole were the answers should be".and "They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark to everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger. And then it was over. To make any kind of sense of it, I need to go back three years. Back to the night the pain started". that should about cover it i think.

AlexOfSpades
17th Mar 2011, 20:39
My predictions:

90% walking around
9% brief images of gameplay, flashing in the rythm of the song
1% cheesy sentence in the end

Sorry Eidos, i really enjoy your trailers, but enough foreplay. Lets get into the action.

I want a demo.

Pretentious Old Man.
17th Mar 2011, 20:43
Bring me fun, bring me sunshine, bring me love. <3

3rdmillhouse
17th Mar 2011, 21:11
Holy crap, I just spent three days thinking I'm on march 15th. o___O

14% hammy one liners

1% other

Heck, at this point I'd glady welcome any footage, even if it's just Jensen taking a massive dump with his augmented rectum.

Deltaslayer
17th Mar 2011, 21:16
^

Lol'd hard.
Nice to see one more gameplay trailer! :)

Irate_Iguana
17th Mar 2011, 21:45
Might as well just copy my post from the other thread;

My guess would be that they will show the demo recorded at PAX. The reason for there being no live stream was that they promised an exclusive to gamespot. You can bet that the Q&A will also be uploaded after they have shown the demo gameplay.

vallux
17th Mar 2011, 21:46
Holy crap, I just spent three days thinking I'm on march 15th. o___O

Heck, at this point I'd glady welcome any footage, even if it's just Jensen taking a massive dump with his augmented rectum.

Maybe DLC?

"An epic never before seen adventure"

Angel-A
17th Mar 2011, 21:52
That trailer comes out on my birthday... I feel special.

Arksun
17th Mar 2011, 21:58
Given that this will be a more up to date gameplay trailer, no doubt it'll have the current HUD system and we should also get to see if the highlighting is always on, or not :)

II J0SePh X II
17th Mar 2011, 22:40
That trailer comes out on my birthday... I feel special.

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/commodore-64-birthday-cake_1.jpg

Happy Birthday!

Rainhands
17th Mar 2011, 23:04
Why can't they release a proper gameplay video? I want a video showing the hud that consists of no extra cutscenes, just free flowing gameplay.

oscarMike
17th Mar 2011, 23:16
pc footage would be nice...

Pretentious Old Man.
17th Mar 2011, 23:21
pc footage would be nice...

http://minorityfortune.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Xzibit.jpg

mentalkase
17th Mar 2011, 23:38
Might as well just copy my post from the other thread;

My guess would be that they will show the demo recorded at PAX. The reason for there being no live stream was that they promised an exclusive to gamespot. You can bet that the Q&A will also be uploaded after they have shown the demo gameplay.

I'd be quite happy with this.

IdiotInAJeep
17th Mar 2011, 23:49
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WccfbPQNMbg

BigBoss
18th Mar 2011, 00:11
I'm betting it's 100% Cool footage that people will find stuff to complain about.

AlexOfSpades
18th Mar 2011, 00:46
I'm betting it's 100% Cool footage that people will find stuff to complain about.

As always.

Tell me one thing that Eidos did trying to make us happy, and everyone didnt criticized right away.

jtr7
18th Mar 2011, 01:13
And you right there to whine about the whiners right on cue. Preemptively, in this case. And me to whine about the whiners whining about the whiners.

mentalkase
18th Mar 2011, 01:23
Tbh i've found that apart from one or two who only ever come in here to say 'game sucks lol, not gonna buy it' everyone has been pretty reasonable lately.

Neuromancer07
18th Mar 2011, 01:29
I have nothing to say other than expressing my most vehement excitement.

singularity
18th Mar 2011, 01:42
Tbh i've found that apart from one or two who only ever come in here to say 'game sucks lol, not gonna buy it' everyone has been pretty reasonable lately.

Ever since the "slip of paper" with the regen timing on it (or about that time), I've noticed that everyone has been a lot more reasonable. We've gotten more info, a lot of the hard-core "haters" don't come as often, we've gotten a nice influx of new people who are all pretty cool, a novel and comic have been released so we have a taste for the world... Things are looking up on these forums, in my opinion.

Happy B-day Angel-A

As for the trailer, anything that is DX related is something I get excited for... I won't be completely set until we get some minimum requirements for the PC version, and won't be over-joyed untill we get a demo (or the game is released)... but if it's DX related, I want to see it. Even if it turns out to be more of what we've seen.

motsm
18th Mar 2011, 03:02
We've gotten more info, a lot of the hard-core "haters" don't come as often...Likely gave up hope that the game had any potential outside of being another modern wet nurse game experience, so no reason to stick around and see. I feel the same way to be honest, but the only reason I'm still here, is I hope all these hand holding features can be modded out.

A deep RPG experience based on meaningful choice, that also watches your every step, and coddles your every move. Developers will never learn that you can't have it both ways I spose.

IOS
18th Mar 2011, 03:23
Likely gave up hope that the game had any potential outside of being another modern wet nurse game experience, so no reason to stick around and see. I feel the same way to be honest, but the only reason I'm still here, is I hope all these hand holding features can be modded out.

A deep RPG experience based on meaningful choice, that also watches your every step, and coddles your every move. Developers will never learn that you can't have it both ways I spose.

Honestly, thats what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy/pasted it to word, saved on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in the safe deposit box, and will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is Im showing them), when I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells".

Thasc
18th Mar 2011, 03:28
Honestly, thats what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy/pasted it to word, saved on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in the safe deposit box, and will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is Im showing them), when I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells".

They won't believe it. They'll think you made it up - and who wouldn't? The story is too cool to be real, and yet it is. I will help you. I will be your witness - I will be the other man, who was there the day the Coolest Story was told. The story must be told again, and again, and again. It will outlive the stars, and its last bit will be encoded in the very last photon to evaporate from the cold remnants of the long-dead universe.

motsm
18th Mar 2011, 03:45
Honestly, thats what I call a cool story bro. Such a riveting tale, I honestly copy/pasted it to word, saved on my hard drive, backed it up on a jump drive, drove to the bank, put the jump drive in the safe deposit box, and will leave it there until my kids turn about 12 (when they can actually state their age, and ask what it is Im showing them), when I will pick it up, put it in an old USB drive reader and relay this cool story to them and tell them, "kids, this is what a cool story should look and sound like...not like the stories your generation tells".Ok, why is any of that needed? I simply voiced a completely level headed and non insulting opinion, and you come back with a long troll post that seems to have no barring on anything that is being covered. In other words, stop being an ass hat, and that goes for the second ass hat as well that quoted you.

Deltaslayer
18th Mar 2011, 03:51
Ok, why is any of that needed? I simply voiced a completely level headed and non insulting opinion, and you come back with a long troll post that seems to have no barring on anything that is being covered. In other words, stop being an ass hat, and that goes for the second ass hat as well that quoted you.

Welcome to the forums! Where you can't express your opinion unless it's a good opinion, because we all work for EM.

Rainhands
18th Mar 2011, 04:02
Can someone please put it up on youtube once it is released and provide a link on this thread. I have trouble loading these various other players. Thanks

IOS
18th Mar 2011, 04:07
Ok, why is any of that needed? I simply voiced a completely level headed and non insulting opinion, and you come back with a long troll post that seems to have no barring on anything that is being covered. In other words, stop being an ass hat, and that goes for the second ass hat as well that quoted you.

http://img858.imageshack.us/img858/6557/2qu4tcgz.gif

Seriously though, your post is stupid. I've seen a huge change in reaction towards the game from pretty much all of its detractors. Pretty much everyone who used to insult this game nonstop only does it sparingly. It happened around when health regen was proven to take 30 seconds. Myself, I'm worried about the highlighting but I'm not going to jump to ridiculous conclusions like you.

Rainhands
18th Mar 2011, 04:37
Seriously though, your post is stupid.

I usually refrain from getting involved in minor disputes that do not concern me but when you make comments such as "U mad" or "cool story bro" it only paints yourself as stupid. All we need now is a lolcat or a justin beiber joke to confirm our suspicions pertaining to your level of maturity(or lack thereof).

Deltaslayer
18th Mar 2011, 04:58
I usually refrain from getting involved in minor disputes that do not concern me but when you make comments such as "U mad" or "cool story bro" it only paints yourself as stupid. All we need now is a lolcat or a justin beiber joke to confirm our suspicions pertaining to your level of maturity(or lack thereof).

Agreed, since they created this "u mad" thing... is hard to find some good conversations between people with diferent opinions.

IOS
18th Mar 2011, 05:00

The Internet is serious business apparently. Get lost, kid.

Deltaslayer
18th Mar 2011, 05:03
It was serious business, but now everyone can buy a computer...

motsm
18th Mar 2011, 05:16
I've seen a huge change in reaction towards the game from pretty much all of its detractors. Pretty much everyone who used to insult this game nonstop only does it sparingly. It happened around when health regen was proven to take 30 seconds. Myself, I'm worried about the highlighting but I'm not going to jump to ridiculous conclusions like you.Potential buyers see features they like and have hope for a great game so they join the forum, they then see other features they don't like and voice a dissenting opinion on them. When more info is released about the game, some users find more things they don't like, so they give up that the game will meet their personal expectations, so they leave as they no longer have any attachment to the title. Those that remain often like the vast majority of features in said game, bringing less dissenting opinions the closer the game is to release. I've seen this happen endlessly on pre release game forums, and it's my opinion that is what happened here. Of course initially I didn't feel it necessary to go into the opinion with such detail, as I figured most could figure out the summary.

You could have started off giving your opinion like you did above, but you chose to throw an 11 year old style tantrum troll post instead of simply disagreeing. So have a great day. :)

Cronstintein
18th Mar 2011, 05:23
All we need now is a lolcat or a justin beiber joke to confirm our suspicions pertaining to your level of maturity(or lack thereof).

Hey man nothing wrong with lolcats, they're cute and hilarious :(

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Xg2C1QAoH9A/S9YoxqP_cnI/AAAAAAAABTA/skllBcNdlX0/s1600/LOLCatModerator.jpg

IOS
18th Mar 2011, 05:55
EDIT: My bad

daklog
18th Mar 2011, 06:38
everything I see of this game is GOLD (in more ways than one apparently) can't wait for more

VectorM
18th Mar 2011, 07:09
Sooo, do people in the UK/AUS get it at 8am locally too, or what?

NKD
18th Mar 2011, 08:23

14% hammy one liners

1% other

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/5599620/WHERES-KODAEMONS-MEDS-ILL-NEVER-STOP-LOOKING.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Adam-Jensen

Rainhands
18th Mar 2011, 08:24
The Internet is serious business apparently. Get lost, kid.

You can't help being a fool. I won't hold it against you.

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 08:25
This is a good news thread. A happy thread with exciting news. Why people feel the need to fight in a good news thread, I don't know. At least some kind of respect would be nice.

Rainhands
18th Mar 2011, 08:27
Hey man nothing wrong with lolcats, they're cute and hilarious :(

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Xg2C1QAoH9A/S9YoxqP_cnI/AAAAAAAABTA/skllBcNdlX0/s1600/LOLCatModerator.jpg

Lol ok you got me there. But IOS was acting like the stereotypical internet geek with his overused meme's. I thought the lol cat was inevitable, either that or "hurr durr" response. Some people never grow up.

Kvltism
18th Mar 2011, 08:30

14% hammy one liners

1% other

The real question: how much of it will be uninterrupted footage?

IOS
18th Mar 2011, 08:46
Lol ok you got me there. But IOS was acting like the stereotypical internet geek with his overused meme's. I thought the lol cat was inevitable, either that or "hurr durr" response. Some people never grow up.

lmao @ stereotypical internet geek, the memes I used are used a lot on the bodybuilding forums. Meanwhile, you get your feelings hurt over a gaming message board. Classic example of the pot calling the kettle black.

Oh, and your comeback sucked.

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 09:12
Wow, can you just leave it already?

BigBoss
18th Mar 2011, 09:27
And you right there to whine about the whiners right on cue. Preemptively, in this case. And me to whine about the whiners whining about the whiners.

I was talking about a specific post someone said, so no. It was not preemptive. And you right there to attack anything critical I ever say, right on cue. You seriously have a mental problem.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this trailer. How much longer until it's up? I remember we got the release date right at midnight, which was pretty cool.

TheUnbeholden
18th Mar 2011, 09:44
I was talking about a specific post someone said, so no. It was not preemptive. And you right there to attack anything critical I ever say, right on cue. You seriously have a mental problem.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this trailer. How much longer until it's up? I remember we got the release date right at midnight, which was pretty cool.

You may have a point....

but the difference is, his post is funny. Yours isn't. So hes 1 up on you.

...actually your previous post does look like whining to me.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Mar 2011, 09:47
Wow, can you just leave it already?
^
This.

Back on topic please, take personal arguments elsewhere.

Cronstintein
18th Mar 2011, 09:56
SOooOOOooooo got a link for us MyImmortal? :poke:

:whistle:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
18th Mar 2011, 10:41
^

Had you offered me flowers instead of the prod, I might have obliged. :p

xaduha
18th Mar 2011, 10:50
Prod with the prod.

Pinky_Powers
18th Mar 2011, 13:16
It's 8:15am in the mid-west. Where my footage!

And for MyImmortal... :flowers:

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 13:20
am I correct when I say 8:00 PDT is in 40 minutes?

olle_bsson
18th Mar 2011, 13:23
No it's in 1 hour and 40 minutes!

Pinky_Powers
18th Mar 2011, 13:24
am I correct when I say 8:00 PDT is in 40 minutes?

Not if PDT stands for Pinky's Deranged Time... then it would be closer to 40 minutes past.

sonicsidewinder
18th Mar 2011, 13:25
I can't wait for the cheesy 1 liner! It better be cheddar quality.

Ilves
18th Mar 2011, 13:27
According to my calculations, 8:00 PDT is 15:00 hrs GMT, +1 for Amsterdam. http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/22.gif

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 13:27
Thanks guys.

Kodaemon
18th Mar 2011, 13:31
http://timeanddate.com/ <- very useful for situations like this

IdiotInAJeep
18th Mar 2011, 13:32
It's 2:32am here in New Zealand. Gonna stay up for the footage.

olle_bsson
18th Mar 2011, 13:33
Trust me, PDT is UTC -7.. Which makes it 16:00 in Germany/Amsterdam/Stockholm!

Arksun
18th Mar 2011, 13:39
Trust me, PDT is UTC -7.. Which makes it 16:00 in Germany/Amsterdam/Stockholm!

Yup, have to take into account the earlier daylight savings time of the US, so 15:00 for UK peeps.

IdiotInAJeep
18th Mar 2011, 14:48
So... about that trailer.

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 14:56
5 more minutes

olle_bsson
18th Mar 2011, 15:03
It's up, and almost 8 minutes long :)

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/deusex3/video/6304183/deus-ex-human-revolution-gameplay-walkthrough-trailer?hd=1

IOS
18th Mar 2011, 15:03
Here it is kids:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/deusex3/video/6304183/deus-ex-human-revolution-gameplay-walkthrough-trailer

EDIT: Ninja'd

Daeda
18th Mar 2011, 15:05
For some reason I cant view it, site says "you may not access it" :(

EDIT: my fault, accidentally selected wrong year of birth :)

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 15:07
Coooool Mary deMarle. They defintely listened to us when we said we love to hear her talk

Irate_Iguana
18th Mar 2011, 15:09
Lol, highlighting the stairs while on them!

vengeancepuppy
18th Mar 2011, 15:10

:-\

It's a bit more orange in a sea of orange...

My god... this entire game is a troll of Gunther!

IOS
18th Mar 2011, 15:13
[On the cover system]: "This is entirely optional"

Well, some people are probably going to be happy to hear that. Still not digging the highlighting but it seemed a little toned down compared to the leaked gameplay.

Ilves
18th Mar 2011, 15:15
Was that a taste or regen speed @ the electrified floor? :scratch: Went from 59 to 100 in, what, 15 secs?

Also, PS3 version.

3rdmillhouse
18th Mar 2011, 15:15
Was that a taste or regen speed @ the electrified floor? :scratch: Went from 59 to 100 in, what, 15 secs?

Also, PS3 version.

Probably Easy mode.

PS:

Highlighting the stairs?!?! Pff... those weren't stairs, they're ladders.

Irate_Iguana
18th Mar 2011, 15:17
As far as videos goes this one was pretty good. It showed the stealth system and the combat system.

Tecman
18th Mar 2011, 15:19
We also got to see Pritchard. :)

EDIT: Quoting for posterity.

14% hammy one liners
1% other

Heheh... :D

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 15:20
finished watching. This was great. If this is an early section of the game, I can't wait to see how the game is in the later parts. From what I've understood the game is more lineair at the begining and will become more complex at the end. IMO this is already very good and a good mix between lineair and multipath.

The takedowns are awesome as well.

This is exactly the video I would show somebody if I wanted to explain the multipath gameplay of deus ex. Best footage released so far. Thumbs up. And Mary DeMarle is great!

Negative:

-Hoped for more social gameplay
-even ladders and explosive barrels are highlighted.

Arksun
18th Mar 2011, 15:21
Initial impressions on new trailer:

Love the overall graphics and general atmosphere and thats still just the console version.
The exploration way still needed a takedown of that first guy, i'm wondering if you could just sneak past him without needing to touch him at all.
Seeing the high detail and number of items on screen made it more clear to me why highlighting is definitely needed to show us what can and can't be used. However, I'm still not keen on the method of highlighting chosen, still too OTT for my tastes. DX 1 nailed highlighting, and ya know the saying... if it aint broke....

Sulix
18th Mar 2011, 15:24
I really hope they make highlighting optional, letting it turned on per default. They will need it to appeal to more customers, but at least spare us this handholding. This video pretty much sums up the downsides of it.

Irate_Iguana
18th Mar 2011, 15:28
The exploration way still needed a takedown of that first guy, i'm wondering if you could just sneak past him without needing to touch him at all.

My guess is that you can. He looks like he patrols that narrow hallway there and there are huge box-like things to hide behind on your way to the containers. The takedown was just faster since the ghost way would involve a lot of waiting.

Seeing the high detail and number of items on screen made it more clear to me why highlighting is definitely needed to show us what can and can't be used. However, I'm still not keen on the method of highlighting chosen, still too OTT for my tastes. DX 1 nailed highlighting, and ya know the saying... if it aint broke....

They have a pop-up in the upper right hand corner telling you when you can interact with something. It is obvious enough. There is no need for this highlighting. Even if that pop-up wasn't there you would figure out what can and can't be used withing the first half hour of the game simply via trial and error. There is no reason to not give us an option to shut it off. Just like there is no reason to highlight stairs while you are on them.

xaduha
18th Mar 2011, 15:29
There is no reason to highlight them at all, stairs are stairs

Arksun
18th Mar 2011, 15:33
They have a pop-up in the upper right hand corner telling you when you can interact with something. It is obvious enough. There is no need for this highlighting. Even if that pop-up wasn't there you would figure out what can and can't be used withing the first half hour of the game simply via trial and error. There is no reason to not give us an option to shut it off. Just like there is no reason to highlight stairs while you are on them.

5:47 is a good example of why highlighting is a good idea imho, lots of boxes with smaller boxes and other smaller objects. Most of them are not interactive. THIS is where highlighting should be used (though again, preferably in a more DX1 kinda more immersive way than a bright orange glow outline).

I do agree highlighting stuff like ladders is very silly though, unless the game features ladders that can't be used? which would be a bit wierd.

VectorM
18th Mar 2011, 15:34

Yeah, pretty silly. Everything else doesn't seem as highlighted as in that YouTube video though.

Tecman
18th Mar 2011, 15:34
I keep missing the stairs bit apparently, could someone point out where they show up highlighted? :) I wanna see this for myself.

Kvltism
18th Mar 2011, 15:35
Good vid. Now, I'd absolutely love it if EM could follow this by periodically rolling out short videos which break down other gameplay aspects. Down the track, some PC footage would be great too.

Yep. I sure hope it's optional, and that there's a way to tone down the intensity of the highlighting too. It gets a bit gaudy for my liking.

3rdmillhouse
18th Mar 2011, 15:37
There is no reason to highlight them at all, stairs are stairs

Unfortunately, there is. You see, a game like Deus Ex HR has imense production values, these guys have probably invested upwards to US$10 million on this, and to cash in to that ivestment, they need to make the game playable to the masses.

Now, most of us here at this forum are old-school fans of the original Deus Ex, and whether we like do admit it or not, gamers like us were smarter, and we still are, back in the day than gamers nowadays; we had fun scouring every digital inch of the levels to see how could we tackle our objectives in different ways; most of gamers nowadays have been spoiled by twitch shooters like the Call of Duty series and in such their attention span has been drastically capped, and their patience for that matter.

If we don't hold their retard hands and point them towards most of the alternate paths, they'll have no patience to buy this game for what it offers: imense replayabilitiy in a singleplayer-only package.

puzl
18th Mar 2011, 15:38
Agreed on general highlighting woes, but besides that...

Looking great! Anyone who says the core values of DX, specifically multi-path solutions, aren't covered in DX:HR have to be silenced now. This IS Deus Ex! Graphics for the 360 version look decent enough and did you notice the magic third hand when dragging has disappeared? :D

I still don't think the third-person to first-person transitions are perfect, but it's definitely an improvement over the E3 demo. I'll still probably play most of it in first person though, simply because I find that perspective more immersive.

Oh and just before my post gets too optimistic, let me rattle the cage once more: if Jensens eyes are augmented, which allows highlighting on ladders, why are they still highlighted in third-person mode? Dum, dum, DUM! ;)

Ilves
18th Mar 2011, 15:38
What's funny about the highlighting gripe:

Highlighting mandatory: kills immersion by constantly reminding you you're in an abstracted, streamlined game environment with restricted interaction.

Highlighting optional on the other hand: adds immersion by adding the fiction "lemme just flip on my super vision for a sec and scout the area." :cool:

Really, it would be such an elegant solution.

Coyotegrey
18th Mar 2011, 15:40
Unfortunately, there is. You see, a game like Deus Ex HR has imense production values, these guys have probably invested upwards to US$10 million on this, and to cash in to that ivestment, they need to make the game playable to the masses.

Now, most of us here at this forum are old-school fans of the original Deus Ex, and whether we like do admit it or not, gamers like us were smarter, and we still are, back in the day than gamers nowadays; we had fun scouring every digital inch of the levels to see how could we tackle our objectives in different ways; most of gamers nowadays have been spoiled by twitch shooters like the Call of Duty series and in such their attention span has been drastically capped, and their patience for that matter.

If we don't hold their retard hands and point them towards most of the alternate paths, they'll have no patience to buy this game for what it offers: imense replayabilitiy in a singleplayer-only package.

Jeepers! So much anger!

ArcR
18th Mar 2011, 15:41
Great:
Environment, Voice Acting, Humor/Dialogue, real gameplay demo (they listened), what was shown reminds me of the beginning of the original in many ways.

Iffy:
Highlighting (if they would only tone it down), 3rd person cover (reminds me of lean keys but still looks like cheating/immersion break), HUD looks a little weird with those batteries in the top left.. we'll see

Horrible:
3rd Person Ladder | this blows in every single way. The ladder is glowing the whole time and all you can see is your back. Can't see around you and figure out whats going on.

Funny:
xbox Press X to win. I know this isn't entirely accurate but its still funny. Takedowns... to comical to use.

All in all it's looking very promising. I want to play this game. Maybe I just won't use the damn ladders.

Irate_Iguana
18th Mar 2011, 15:42
I keep missing the stairs bit apparently, could someone point out where they show up highlighted? :) I wanna see this for myself.

Stairs should probably read ladders.

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 15:43

Highlighting mandatory: kills immersion by constantly reminding you you're in an abstracted, streamlined game environment with restricted interaction.

Highlighting optional on the other hand: adds immersion by adding the fiction "lemme just flip on my super vision for a sec and scout the area." :cool:

Quoted for truth! (Y)

there was no highlighting on the ladder in the e3 demo by the way. Makes me think who decided it was a good idea :hmm:

Wunderbar_007
18th Mar 2011, 15:45
Highlighting has to go (at least the ladders). Make it an option dammit, you have 5 fraking months!

As for the rest I really enjoyed it. I would have enjoyed it even more if we saw some PC footage.

3rdmillhouse
18th Mar 2011, 15:50
Jeepers! So much anger!

No Kyle, I'm not pissed, I understand the design choices, in fact I'm liking so much what I've seen so far that I've made my mind to buy this game. I'm just explaining to everyone the rationale behind the highlighting and I like to curse and throw profanity around like a drunken sailor.

Also, one thing that's pretty good is Elias Toufexis acting, one would think that he wouldn't be able to convey irony or other feelings properly through that gruff voice (cause it's not his normal voice), but he nailed it perfectly.

Like the Nanovision from Crysis 2, I like it, that'd be a good idea.

Arksun
18th Mar 2011, 15:51
My preference would be:

1) Keep highlighting for useable objects (such as smaller objects amongst a pile of other unuseable objects)

2) Remove highlighting for blindingly obvious stuff (like ladders. This game is meant to be 18+ right?, I think most adults know what a ladder is by that age)

3) Tone down the method of highlighting (either thinner outline, less glow, some form of cool intermittent outline flashing, or the wonderful subtle rectangle edges method of DX1 that stopped a useable object from looking like it was stuck onto the world as a flat image instead of being a part of that world).

Also is the switch to 3rd person always happen on using ladders? or is that a hold down button function like with cover?. I'm hoping the latter.

Coyotegrey
18th Mar 2011, 15:55
No Kyle, I'm not pissed, I understand the design choices, in fact I'm liking so much what I've seen so far that I've made my mind to buy this game. I'm just explaining to everyone the rationale behind the highlighting and I like to curse and throw profanity around like a drunken sailor.

Also, one thing that's pretty good is Elias Toufexis acting, one would think that he wouldn't be able to convey irony or other feelings properly through that gruff voice (cause it's not his normal voice), but he nailed it perfectly.

Like the Nanovision from Crysis 2, I like it, that'd be a good idea.

That is his normal voice!

Daeda
18th Mar 2011, 16:07
I'll take the highlighting over the ugly white box in DX anytime..

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 16:10
What's ugly about it? It was very minimal and white... near perfect imo.

MaxxQ1
Aside from the highlighting issues already mentioned (honestly? A *RED* explosive barrel needs to be highlighted to point out that it's explosive?), my biggest gripe was the pause/black screen for a fraction of a second before every takedown. I understand why it's there and that it can't be helped, but the best way to get rid of that pause is to just get rid of takedowns and give us back melee.

And Elias/Adam sounds like Clint Eastwood. :thumb:

Deus_Ex_Machina

This, this, a thousand times this!

Also, the average, impatient gamer of today:

PbcctWbC8Q0

imported_D_X
18th Mar 2011, 16:14
I like it, it's very Deus Ex like with the different ways to get access to that warehouse. Why does Pritchard look like a cartoon though, I didn't see that anywhere else?

NKD
18th Mar 2011, 16:14

Indeed! He had a guest spot in Eureka last season. I was turned away from the TV when he first spoke and I immediately went "ADAM JENSEN!" Exact same voice. He doesn't fake it up at all for DXHR.

nordoM
18th Mar 2011, 16:15
My preference would be:

1) Keep highlighting for useable objects (such as smaller objects amongst a pile of other unuseable objects)

2) Remove highlighting for blindingly obvious stuff (like ladders. This game is meant to be 18+ right?, I think most adults know what a ladder is by that age)

3) Tone down the method of highlighting (either thinner outline, less glow, some form of cool intermittent outline flashing, or the wonderful subtle rectangle edges method of DX1 that stopped a useable object from looking like it was stuck onto the world as a flat image instead of being a part of that world).

Also is the switch to 3rd person always happen on using ladders? or is that a hold down button function like with cover?. I'm hoping the latter.

This! All these three points and especially number 3. The orange border arround some usable objects is at some distances so thick that the entire object appears to glow in an intense bright orange.
Oh, and the glowing ladders of course, but everyone pointed that one out already.

Otherwise, great video! Did I understand that right that we can expect another video "soon" with more focus on hacking and conversations?

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 16:16
Erm he is playing UT99 and that vid is very old.

Irate_Iguana
18th Mar 2011, 16:19
Good stuff:

+ The level looks nice. It isn't clean and plastic-y and they have taken time to give the backgrounds some atmosphere. Looks much more inviting than some other titles that have recently come out.

+ Damage levels on the combat approach also look promising. Adam gets hit two times and he loses half his life. The assault rifle sounds pretty powerful and looks to have a pretty large spread at base level. Regen looked pretty fast, but not really usable in a stand-up firefight.

+ Although I'm not a fan of the takedowns they do look interesting. Nice to see something else for the non-lethal takedown than the simple punch.

+ The looting of the bodies was a nice addition. Especially selecting various items you want, or don't want, to take. No more picking up a combat knife every time you knock someone out.

+ Adam has some very good voice acting. I liked it when he called Pritchard "Francis". Pritchard sounds like an ass and my only problem is I'm not allowed to shoot him as soon as the intro starts.

Bad stuff:

- The highlighting. It is just dumb. You already have the little pop-up that spells out interactive objects. I don't need to see everything interactive outlined in yellow when I move my cursor vaguely in its direction. Sure, toning it down might remove some of the annoyance. Just remove it completely. At least on the highest difficulty setting. Alternatively, tailor it to only highlight useful and small items.

- The triangles on the radar. I can see how guards are oriented even before Adam is in visual range. This destroys a large part of the stealth gameplay in my eyes. My only hope is that this is the result of an upgraded aug and not a standard augmentation. If it is standard, then please remove it for the highest difficulty level.

- The objective marker. Sure, mark the main objective on the radar, I don't mind. I just don't need a little window darting around pointing me in the right direction all the time. It got annoying even in the little video sequence.

- The little pause before each takedown and in smaller measure before each time taking cover. A minor annoyance, but still something I noticed.

General stuff:

* With the addition of the radar and the 3rd person cover I'm still wondering how you are going to make stealth gameplay a challenge. So far it looks like they've gone for rewarding more XP for playing stealthy. The incentive for doing well in combat is being punished hard if you screw up. Augs have a definite benefit. Hopefully the stealth player will have a bigger incentive than just racking up a personal highscore in XP.

* Really looking forward to some social combat. It may not be such a huge pillar, but I'd really like to see some of the gameplay.

xaduha
18th Mar 2011, 16:20
Come on, IW was on consoles and there are many other games, AC for example
DX:HR differs enough already, this small change will not be "a straw that broke the camels back"

Daeda
18th Mar 2011, 16:20
What's ugly about it? It was very minimal and white... near perfect imo.

To me it breaks immersion much more than the highlighting. Its just a white box hanging there, not linked to the gameworld at all. This atleast is theoretically what we could see in a few decenia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmjqudbf_RE

Irate_Iguana
18th Mar 2011, 16:22
To me it breaks immersion much more than the highlighting. Its just a white box hanging there, not linked to the gameworld at all. This atleast is theoretically what we could see in a few decenia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmjqudbf_RE

The highlight box is exactly the same thing, but more minimalistic and limited.

NKD
18th Mar 2011, 16:26
Fantastic video. Looks like all the core Deus Ex stuff is implemented well. My only gripe, as usual, is that obnoxious highlighting.

bukkit
18th Mar 2011, 16:31
just watched the gameplayvid.

the good:
kinda feels like a deus ex game. as i watch it i just wanna play the game so much (not many games (if any) these days make me feel like this). love the multipath options, but i was hoping to see some social path, this way it was 1 combat and 2 stealth approaches. what i loved is the fact that i felt like the 3rd person cover isnt needed at all, that i could just sneak undetected like in the old deus ex (just give me controls for lean left and lean right and im ready to go)

the bad:

graphics sucks BIG time. when noticing the shadow under the knocked out guard - just wow. the cheapest low rez shadow ive ever saw. also the ambient occlusion algorytm is completly wrong. in some parts it looked like a ps2 game. the extremely low poly models. wtf ? you can literraly count the polygons on the car wheel or the bucket (lets hope that the DX11 feature wont be just a placebo and tesselation would do its magic on the poor models)
i know its a console version. but this is horrible looking even for consoles
so disappointed with the graphics, shaders, models, texture maps (notice the hair tex on the guard) shadow maps
everything looks poor and obsolete. deus ex deserved better

- i know its not about graphics, but im working with this couple of years and this is just sad, especially these days when new game engines are kicking so much a s s

this particular level design looked very plain. the positions of the boxes didnt make any sense. just a couple of chest high walls here and there for the cover making pathways for multiple approaches . - especially form the top view the pattern is obvious. hope other levels will be designed much more clever

the old stuff - 'press button to win' takedowns, the third person and the highlighting - i dont even wanna start with this, and i still believe that at least the highlighting wont be an issue in the final pc version - they cant ignore the community :)

overal, it looks very promising gameplay wise. but also looks terrible graphically wise (in my eyes - this is sadly one of the worst looking upcoming games) but i believe that the graphics would be the only bad aspect of this awesome game.

Rainhands
18th Mar 2011, 16:34
We do not have all the information about difficulty levels yet. Hopefully on the highest difficulty little things like highlighting from afar(or even at all) will be turned off. Perhaps instead of having a marker pointing youin your direction you will have to open up the map, or just keep exploring until you get there.

I agree with previous comments, the third person ladder climbing is so unnecessary.

The orange glow does not look as overbearing as I previously feared, I just hope the environments are diverse enough to pull our attention away from it. 10 hours in and that orange might infect our minds.

MaxxQ1
18th Mar 2011, 16:36
- i know its not about graphics, but im working with this couple of years and this is just sad, especially these days when new game engines are kicking so much a s s

The filters let you actually write "ass" normally - no need to try to get around them. :rasp:

and i still believe that at least the highlighting wont be an issue in the final pc version - they cant ignore the community :)

You're kidding, right? Being sarcastic? They've been ignoring the community for the past 4 years. It's eased up slightly recently, but they're still not as responsive as I would like them to be.

bukkit
18th Mar 2011, 16:38

he sounded better in splinter cell conviction as cobin. he sounded pretty believable, and when he was stoned than pretty funny too :) this isnt his natural voice. this is his batman voice

bukkit
18th Mar 2011, 16:40
You're kidding, right? Being sarcastic? They've been ignoring the community for the past 4 years. It's eased up slightly recently, but they're still not as responsive as I would like them to be.

im just a naive chump :) if an competent eidos-guy read these forums, he simply cant let it go (can he?) especially when its so easy to fix. and if not screw them, modding community wont let us down

Wunderbar_007
18th Mar 2011, 16:44
Ok, a more indepth look...

Visuals: It looks nice as a whole due to the number of little details around the level (garbage bags, particles, cans, etc.) Once you pay attention however, some textures seem very flat. Ofcourse that's probably just the video quality and console rendering. Since we have no PC footage to show me otherwize however, I'd say the graphics are good but far from amazing. Other than that, the lighting is lovely, the characters look good (for henchmen, important people will probably be more detailed) and the animations (weapons and people) seem smooth. Fire looks very nice and so do the weapon models.

Voice acting: I love it, especially Adam. I smiled at the "Should be, Francis? The hell does that mean?". Great work! Reminded me of Archer (TV show) out in the field. Pritchard sounds like a prick and I'd use a lethal take down on him faster than he could say "Nicely done, Jensen". Still, I like his voice acting but his display picture in the dialogue box pisses me off. On a side note, "shipping and receiving" made me think of Thief :)

Gameplay: It's Deus Ex. The health regen seems quick but not too quick and the third person cover system will prove useful and isn't forced (except for climbing :mad2:). I'm very happy about that. I still wish these design choices would burn in hell, but the devs definitely made the best of them. Highlighting needs to go. It makes me feel like an idiot, it ruins the game, it's completely useless on certain things (guess). It's one of the worst design choices I've ever come across :mad2:

Sounds: Some reminded me of the original game (electrical field, hurt sound). Seems great!

More things I hated:
Objective marker.......is the X on the already lame radar not enough? I'm not an idiot.
Red explosive barrels.........wow, really? In a Deus Ex game? ....and HIGHLIGHTING IT!? AS WE GET CLOSER is just OFFENSIVE!!!!!!!!

68_pie
18th Mar 2011, 16:52
Good Stuff:

Hiding bodies
Looting
Multi-path
Pritchard being a prick
The bits of paper on the airvent/AC system, nice touch

Bad Stuff

UI/HUD - put it in the corners for God's sake
Tooltips - I assume these can be turned off?
Highlighting - still looks horrible and is unneccessary (especially for ladders, seriously wtf), too many things highlighted at once
Objective Markers - why in a game where exploration is meant to be so important do we have this?
Radar - showing all enemies and which way they are facing doesn't make it too easy because...?
Blood effects - it looks like its coming out in blobs rather than a stream and it looks too dense. It's only present during the takedown, why not have it on the floor afterwards then disappear later?
Shadows - on characters/npcs the shadows look a bit strange, almost too dark, almost look cell shaded
Pritchard's picture - dude looks like a pirate
Crosshair and iron sights - one or the other please

And the things I still don't like - 3rd person; takedowns; cover system; health regen, energy regen, ladder climbing

Looks like the max number of energy blips is five.

The Deus Ex franchise distinguishes itself by relying on four main gameplay pillars.

...er what?

also I wasn't paying close enough attention but did using iron sights zoom in a bit or did it literally just bring up iron sights?

Sulix
18th Mar 2011, 16:59
Anyone noticed, that the electrical field drains some battery life? I think this is quite a nice detail.

Arksun
18th Mar 2011, 17:06

White box? which game is that?. In Deus ex 1 it was only the corner edges of the rectangle, not an entire rectangle surrounding the object, and only at close range. It keeps immersion because it highlights that an object is useable, it doesn't literally highlight the outer edges of the object so it becomes removed from the rest of the 3D world.

Michael Berry
18th Mar 2011, 17:15
Good:
- Alternate pathways.
- Voice acting.
- Graphics (at least it satisfies me).
- Night and darkness. I like it.

Bad:
- Highlightened barrels and ladder. Why not to highlight ground to indicate that Adam's able to walk on it?
- Deaf guard in the beginning of demo. Normally he had to hear Adam's steps. Although it may be another conspiracy and it's up to us to uncover the truth.
- Music. Where's goddamn music?!

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 17:22
Again. The explsoive barrel is already red. If you really want the player to know it's explosive. Slap on a 'flammable' texture on it. Like here:

http://firsthour.net/screenshots/half-life-2/half-life-2-exploding%20barrel-flammable.jpg

no need for silly highlighting, and it looks better that way as well.

anunnaki
18th Mar 2011, 17:28
I just dont like how it updates every time you kill someone, I know what just happened I dont need an update popup cluttering the screen.

xsamitt
18th Mar 2011, 17:30
Please do something about the highlighting.It's really to much.Yes im an older gamer but I have a hard time fathoming that kids can't figure out what stairs are.It makes the environment feel like a game.
We are on your side EM.....please consider what we are all saying.

MrFoxter
18th Mar 2011, 17:33
'Hold Z to see interactive objects highlighted' would be perfect for me. They wouldn't even need to tone it down.

First battery recharges 30 seconds. I'm fine with that.

The first guard had CyberBoost ProEnergy Bar. Is it beneficial for non-augmented people too? I can't see why he would have one in his pocket, but maybe I'm just too much of a perfectionist.

He also had 'Pocket Secretary'. It's some kind of log. 'Pocket Secreatry added to media log.' Great, you can now get some info from dead or unconscious people :thumb:

I like that vent leads to different location than main door. He didn't need to go through the objective marker to complete the sub-quest, so you can use your own route in as well.

Irate_Iguana
18th Mar 2011, 17:36
this particular level design looked very plain.

GTooltips - I assume these can be turned off?

To be fair, this is the first level where Adam has augs. This level is used in the game as the tutorial level.

Again. The explsoive barrel is already red. If you really want the player to know it's explosive. Slap on a 'flammable' texture on it.

The barrel has the international hazard sign for explosives on it. That should make it clear what it does. However if you are going to highlight objects then something that can blow up is infinitely more useful than a simple wooden box. I'd rather seen them drop the highlight for ladders, boxes and doors and keep it for these barrels.

VectorM
18th Mar 2011, 17:38
Apparently, sitting in your own chair, in your own room, while looking at a screen in to a world that looks 100% fake, where you control a brainless android with your fingers, doesn't brake any immersion. But add some yellow lines around some boxes and it feels like a game, damn it!

The first guard had CyberBoost ProEnergy Bar. Is it beneficial for non-augmented people too? I can't see why he would have one in his pocket, but maybe I'm just too much of a perfectionist.

It's just a normal energy bar with a fancy name.

Arksun
18th Mar 2011, 17:44
Apparently, sitting in your own chair, in your own room, while looking at a screen in to a world that looks 100% fake, where you control a brainless android with your fingers, doesn't brake any immersion. But add some yellow lines around some boxes and it feels like a game, damn it!

It's just a normal energy bar with a fancy name.

Well, the most immersive games (and movies for that matter) are the ones where the real world around us dissapears and all we see is the reality through the screen, thats the sign of a great game, when you look at the clock and realise 5 hours has gone past. Arguing that any additional immersion breaker doesn't matter because we're not literally sucked into the computer is a bit silly. If you were triyng to make a clever point I think it mighta failed a bit ;)

bukkit
18th Mar 2011, 17:44
ok then. obviously i have too much spare time today, so i did lets say 'in-depth' analysis of the trailer
and theese are the most annoying factors i found (doesnt mean i dont like the game, i just wanna point out the negatives)

HUD :

so much unnecessary stuff going on. i dont need a radar, i dont want to see where are my enemies (not even where are they looking) also i dont want to have my target (door) highlighted in my face all the time. i wanna explore, i wanna look for them and find them myself. the weapons hud and the health hood should be in one place (in the CORNER of the screen ideally)

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/6310/hudfs.jpg

this is my version of the hud. clean, subtle, doesnt distract me at all, adds to the immersion of the game.

ideal scenario : make the HUD customizable, let the player chose what they want to have on the screen

this particular level design

in my eyes the presented level looks very slopy. - especially the area with the guards. like from some Gears of War level designer. lame corridor with chest high walls for cover everywhere

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/222/leveldesign1.jpg
this is what a shipping bay should look like ? the supply crates should be organised in a fashion that makes sense
not a random corridor made out of crates. the player should find some harder time finding cover and safe places.
just like the splinter cell series (not conviction) this looks like a Gears of Wall level.

the hidden alternative pathways are a cool aspect of the game, just like the old DE. but they should be HIDDEN

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/3817/leveldesign2.jpg

those pallets are just screaming - look heres also a way to go. there are totally unnecessary. make the player make his way through (like when he moved the first one) or put there some trickier jump. it should be some challange for the player, he should feel satisfied that he chose a difficult but clever way through the level

edit::: and yes i know this is an early game level, but its the only one in the vid :) and its designed really bad imho. so im just hoping its for the tutorial matters and the other ones would be good
naive thinking ? yes:/ i guess there will be theese cover corridors through out the whole game.

this post is getting a little to long so i will stop here, and post a second part later (if its appreciated)

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 17:45
Is it just me, or is seeing loads of comments on gamespot from the likes of N1njaSol1d along the lines of "This game looks really dull", making anyone else feel optimistic? I'm just getting the impression that all the COD Adrenaline junkies don't like it because it isn't a COD adrenaline rush...which can only be a good thing!

Halfway through. Already used to the highlighting! Wont be an issue for me if we can't turn it off....although I still will if we can :)

those pallets are just screaming - look heres also a way to go. there are totally unnecessary. make the player make his way through (like when he moved the first one) or put there some trickier jump. it should be some challange for the player, he should feel satisfied that he chose a difficult but clever way through the level

Definitely see your point on this, but to be fair, at least they DID make you move a crate to get to the route. Given that this is one of the first levels, a certain lack of subtlety isn't too unreasonable given that half the audience won't understand how to do anything but push forward, attach to things and shoot. Later in the game this will be more of an issue if it persists, and had they put a ladder on the side of the container that would have been rather disappointing!

MrFoxter
18th Mar 2011, 17:46
We've seen this before in Eyefinity demo (http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/31915), and highlighting looked much better (it's shakycam, so maybe it's just not so obvious).

Coyotegrey
18th Mar 2011, 17:48
Remember, this was one of the first areas in the game.

Arksun
18th Mar 2011, 17:52
Remember, this was one of the first areas in the game.

ooo, is this a hint that the extensive highlighting is in a tutorial sense and they will dissapear later in the game?.

If so, I think it would be great for EM to clarify this as soon as possible so we know all the facts :)

Remington
18th Mar 2011, 17:54
All I can say is this: Highlighting is the new health regen.

If you have a headache, make someone kick you in the balls, you will forget about the headache real quick, I assure you that.

vengeancepuppy
18th Mar 2011, 17:56
We've seen this before in Eyefinity demo (http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/31915), and highlighting looked much better (it's shakycam, so maybe it's just not so obvious).

This video shows a very important thing: NO HIGHLIGHTING!

I bet that highlighting only appears on the easy mode.

NKD
18th Mar 2011, 17:59
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/6310/hudfs.jpg

This is the Xbox 360 version. It needs to have large HUD elements for folks without massive HDTVs. Mass Effect 2 took a lot of crap for having tiny assed fonts and such that made it a huge pain on people with small TVs or SDTVs.

MrFoxter
18th Mar 2011, 18:01
the weapons hud and the health hood should be in one place (in the CORNER of the screen ideally)
I don't agree. Health and ammo should be separated, ideally in different corners. They have different meaning and they shouldn't be at one place.

the hidden alternative pathways are a cool aspect of the game, just like the old DE. but they should be HIDDEN

Yes, Pritchard even told you there is a maintenance access on the roof, but don't tell me that you noticed this way until Mary showed it. I agree that the way shouldn't be obvious, but I think it's not so bad in this example.

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 18:05
but don't tell me that you noticed this way until Mary showed it.

Actually, it is a fair comment, because I did spot it straight away! Mary was saying "now we're going to go kill these guys" or whatever she said and I was thinking "Sure sure. But I bet we come back and climb up onto that bit soon!" Although on the flip side, the 'hidden' paths in the original were not always hidden. I seem to remember infiltrating a warehouse for one of the missions and being told by somebody "you can either go through the tunnels or get in through the roof" or words to that effect. So I don't think these things do have to be completely hidden. Hidden paths are only a small part of it, alternate paths are what is important. And it doesn't matter if some of these are obvious.

One thing that I wondered about was the forklift trucks we saw. I wonder if you could use those? Or at least lift the forks up if not drive them. That would be a nice touch.

bukkit
18th Mar 2011, 18:07
I don't agree. Health and ammo should be separated, ideally in different corners. They have different meaning and they shouldn't be at one place.
that would work to. but definitely the bottom corners imho. and corners ideally, not like the way its setup now

Yes, Pritchard even told you there is a maintenance access on the roof, but don't tell me that you noticed this way until Mary showed it. I agree that the way shouldn't be obvious, but I think it's not so bad in this example.

of course not. but even from the particular view in the screen-shot. it would be still kinda hidden. this way, the pallets are signalizing a pathway, and most of all if that would be a real world scenario. there is no way pallets would be placed there like that. it makes no sense. there are there just for making an alternative pathway more obvious. and i dont like that

MrFoxter
18th Mar 2011, 18:19
Actually, it is a fair comment, because I did spot it straight away! Mary was saying "now we're going to go kill these guys" or whatever she said and I was thinking "Sure sure. But I bet we come back and climb up onto that bit soon!" Although on the flip side, the 'hidden' paths in the original were not always hidden. I seem to remember infiltrating a warehouse for one of the missions and being told by somebody "you can either go through the tunnels or get in through the roof" or words to that effect. So I don't think these things do have to be completely hidden. Hidden paths are only a small part of it, alternate paths are what is important. And it doesn't matter if some of these are obvious.

One thing that I wondered about was the forklift trucks we saw. I wonder if you could use those? Or at least lift the forks up if not drive them. That would be a nice touch.

Maybe it was obvious, but I believe this was because they were showing the first mission. I mean, the way up to the Statue wasn't a bit obvious? :rolleyes:

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 18:21
Maybe it was obvious, but I believe this was because they were showing the first mission. I mean, the way up to the Statue wasn't a bit obvious? :rolleyes:

Disclaimer: I am not saying obvious alternate paths are a bad thing! As long as they're not too obvious. And I wouldn't say this way too obvious. That path is more or less the right level of obvious-ness for me, hopefully a few more slightly less obviousy ones later in the game as well!

MrFoxter
18th Mar 2011, 18:24
Disclaimer: I am not saying obvious alternate paths are a bad thing! As long as they're not too obvious. And I wouldn't say this way too obvious. That path is more or less the right level of obvious-ness for me, hopefully a few more slightly less obviousy ones later in the game as well!

Agreed :thumb:

Wunderbar_007
18th Mar 2011, 18:30
Could someone from the team please just confirm that highlighting objects will be toned down or better yet optional? Please? Dammit how hard is it to answer a simple Yes or No question this late in development!?

By the way, in the following video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrXpZVv5bpI
Health Regeneration IS optional and the toggle is found under GAMEPLAY options. So I don't see why this highlighting crap and even health regen needs to be forced. They already have that option, just keep it in the game for us please!

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 18:37
EM already said the pc version will have a unique HUD.
The one in the eyefinity demo is already very different, but obviously subject to change. It already looks way better and more minimalistic though.

Also, note how much better the game looks with almsost no highlighting in that pc demo.

SageSavage
18th Mar 2011, 18:41
Ok, just watched the video and sadly, I'm not impressed.

I didn't like:
- the highlighting
- the level design
- the the color scheme
- the cluttered HUD with all its "Press this", "Press that"-events and other such handholding
- the character portrait of Pritchard
- the texture quality
- the design of some objects like the trucks
- the perspective changes, specifically when climbing
- the grittiness looks a bit forced with all the graffities
- "hidden paths" are too obvious
- Pritchard gets on my nerves already (although that isn't necessarily bad for the game)

Maybe it's because I'm a bit hung over right now but I'm really having a hard time to find something to get excited about in this trailer. So, for not being too negative:

I liked:
- adam's voice and lines
- that it offers choice and that EM finally delivered a trailer that shows how the segment plays out with different play styles
- Mary DeMarle
- I admit that I kinda liked watching the takedowns

nexusdx
18th Mar 2011, 18:42
in my eyes the presented level looks very slopy. - especially the area with the guards. like from some Gears of War level designer. lame corridor with chest high walls for cover everywhere
DX1 wasn't better at this point
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3651/capture18032011192253.jpg

they should be hidden ALSO in the old DX
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6783/capture18032011192059.jpg

Srosa
18th Mar 2011, 18:45
Ok, just watched the video and sadly, I'm not impressed.

I didn't like:
- the highlighting
- the level design
- the the color scheme
- the cluttered HUD with all its "Press this", "Press that"-events and other such handholding
- the character portrait of Pritchard
- the texture quality
- the design of some objects like the trucks
- the perspective changes, specifically when climbing
- the grittiness looks a bit forced with all the graffities
- "hidden paths" are too obvious
- Pritchard gets on my nerves already (although that isn't necessarily bad for the game)

Maybe it's because I'm a bit hung over right now but I'm really having a hard time to find something to get excited about in this trailer. So, for not being too negative:

I liked:
- adam's voice and lines
- that it offers choice and that EM finally delivered a trailer that shows how the segment plays out with different play styles
- Mary DeMarle
- I admit that I kinda liked watching the takedowns

Epic post. Also, the fact that the ladder is highlighted is ******** dumb: you don't need it to see it is a ladder, I'm not that stupid. Hope this game will not get too dumbly obvious and cartoonish. Also I imagined pritchard to be older and serious and less gay, hope he doesn't speak like that in reality too despite Adam's counterpart, my god.

...if only DX:HR would run under Cryengine 3 or Unreal 3, it'd been surely alot awesome looking than it does now.

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 18:46
@Nexus: Great post! Says it all really. :)

Gordon_Shea
18th Mar 2011, 18:47
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/3651/capture18032011192253.jpg

they should be hidden ALSO in the old DX
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6783/capture18032011192059.jpg

I think it became clear some time ago that the Deus Ex most hardcore fans remember bears little-to-no resemblance to the actual game.

Wunderbar_007
18th Mar 2011, 18:47
lol, nexus. Very true.

Now...about the highlighting...

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 18:50
lol, nexus. Very true.

Now...about the highlighting...

Highlighting is very simple: Fine if optional. Acceptable if not...except the ladders. The ladders don't just get outlined like everything else for some reason, they glow as if possessed by angels!

Gordon_Shea
18th Mar 2011, 18:54
Didn't we see an options screen (or a debug options screen) at some point? Does anyone have a capture of that?

SageSavage
18th Mar 2011, 19:01
Didn't we see an options screen (or a debug options screen) at some point? Does anyone have a capture of that?

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/8998/optionsbq.th.jpg (http://img577.imageshack.us/i/optionsbq.jpg/)

I don't think it let's you disable highlighting there but there's still a slim chance that it can be done in the regular options or maybe even in the aug menue.

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 19:04
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/8998/optionsbq.th.jpg (http://img577.imageshack.us/i/optionsbq.jpg/)

Ah, thats things like infinite ammo, god mode, etc. This is more of a debug tool than a final options menu, a lot of the stuff in here will be removed from the final game solely because the final game wasn't designed to be used with these options enabled.

zombieturtle01
18th Mar 2011, 19:08
I am concerned about take-downs still though, I'm worried that you can just abuse the take-down system by running up to guys and pressing a button. I don't know if they mentioned if you have to get them by surprise or not?
Which brings me to my next concern, if there are no melee weapons in the game, if you have little/no ammo and get caught by a guard, how do you defend yourself? This has been really bothering me because I want to be as non-lethal as possible.

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 19:10
I am concerned about take-downs still though, I'm worried that you can just abuse the take-down system by running up to guys and pressing a button.

Takedowns cost a full energy pip, so you can't abuse them too much.

vallux
18th Mar 2011, 19:10
Here's a low tech option for "removing" the highlighting.

Close your eyes.

bukkit
18th Mar 2011, 19:11

good point. but that was 10 years ago. now it should look a whole lot better. for example the chaos theory. great level design, looking so natural. makes hidden passages a whole lot harder to find, also no ridiculous chest high walls everywhere. nowdays stealth games are so rare - and so are their core gameplay features. every other game around looks kinda like gears of war, cod, and crap like that.

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 19:14
but that was 10 years ago. now it should look a whole lot better

The graphics ARE a lot better. But you can't have it both ways "DX had less than great level design and was brilliant" on one hand, "HR has a similar level of design quality but should be a whole lot better, but because it isnt it wont be as good" on the other.

SageSavage
18th Mar 2011, 19:15
More low tech solutions...

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl0/1/12981/13_2008/blue_0.jpg

Here's another one, specfically designed with the japanese market in mind...

http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/742/lowtechsolutions2.th.jpg (http://img863.imageshack.us/i/lowtechsolutions2.jpg/)

Remington
18th Mar 2011, 19:15
Nexus wins the internet for best post ever on this forum.

http://assets0.ordienetworks.com/misc/basketball.gif

Darthassin
18th Mar 2011, 19:19
Kyle, please talk to other devs and make them do the highlighting optional. Ok?

bukkit
18th Mar 2011, 19:20
The graphics ARE a lot better.

the graphics has be the last thing this game should be proud about. it doesnt very good at all.
at least for the pc it wont look as bad as this footage. but still , the dull shaders, and obsolete engine would be there

and as for the DX1 _ imho at the time the level design was considered good. DE:HR is not a cover based corridor shooter, but the level design looks just like it. (the shown level that is)

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 19:25
the graphics has be the last thing this game should be proud about. it doesnt very good at all.

It looks as good as/better than Mass Effect 2. Which, whilst not pushing the boundaries on PC at least, was a pretty good looking game. And its not too far off Metal Gear Solid 4. I would say that DX:HR is shaping up to be one of the better looking games on current consoles. Not THE best, but up there. And seeing as, I'm sure you'll agree, graphics are not particularly important, what's the problem?

Besides, the point was you said it should look a lot better than it did ten years ago. My point was that it does.

Gordon_Shea
18th Mar 2011, 19:26
at least for the pc it wont look as bad as this footage. but still , the dull shaders, and obsolete engine would be there

and as for the DX1 _ imho at the time the level design was considered good. DE:HR is not a cover based corridor shooter, but the level design looks just like it. (the shown level that is)

But it has, from what we can see, the same sort of level and encounter design that the first game had, as per that post where Nexus pointed out that you're a warbling retard and the half page or so of posts where everyone was amused by how dumb you are.

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 19:29
Incidentally, back to the point about hidden paths made earlier: OK, the one up to the roof was pretty obvious (again, no real problem in this for me). But there was also another path you could reach by going into the back room and climbing over some crates so you could crawl through a hole. That was something you couldn't find by simply walking from A-B through the level, you'd actually have to explore and think "Hey, i wonder what's in here...hey I wonder if there's anything behind these?" to find that one.

xaduha
18th Mar 2011, 19:31
In DX JC was a walking webcam
But here Pritchard asks how AJ got into the warehouse from the roof. What do you make of this? He wasn't paying attention or what?

bukkit
18th Mar 2011, 19:32
It looks as good as/better than Mass Effect 2. Which, whilst not pushing the boundaries on PC at least, was a pretty good looking game. And its not too far off Metal Gear Solid 4. I would say that DX:HR is shaping up to be one of the better looking games on current consoles. Not THE best, but up there. And seeing as, I'm sure you'll agree, graphics are not particularly important, what's the problem?

Besides, the point was you said it should look a lot better than it did ten years ago. My point was that it does.

i was talking about the level design. - which isnt good (shown level) no matter how good/bad it was in the fisrt game. this level was designed very badly imho

let this be the final post about graphics. i dont wanna go to technical details and features, but this game lacks at the two most important things (lighting and shaders) everithing looks very plain and dull like a default lambert shader. the baked gi is nice though. (mgs4 shaders were similarly bad)

bukkit
18th Mar 2011, 19:35
But it has, from what we can see, the same sort of level and encounter design that the first game had, as per that post where Nexus pointed out that you're a warbling retard and the half page or so of posts where everyone was amused by how dumb you are.

http://dianajuncher.dk/blog/wp-content/uploads/bacon1.jpg

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 19:40
i was talking about the level design. - which isnt good (shown level) no matter how good/bad it was in the fisrt game. this level was designed very badly imho

What's bad about it, exactly? I know you don't like the fact that there are things, perhaps stacked in a way that makes cover available. But how would you do it differently? I didn't feel there was much in there that didn't really make sense. It was a bit more messy and cluttered than you might expect from a similar location in real life but... it was in the middle of some kind of riot and things have been blown up and broken, so it seems reasonable.

I think it's going to be hard to design a level in an industrial/populated area without much convenient cover. Because convenient cover exists anyway. Just look around next time you go into town: Benches, phone booths, pillars. Or the office: desks, cubicles, filing cabinets. Reality is littered with convenient cover.

Gordon_Shea
18th Mar 2011, 19:40
http://dianajuncher.dk/blog/wp-content/uploads/bacon1.jpg

All I'm saying is: You say this game has bad level design because it has heavily telegraphed alternate paths and obnoxious, unnatural waist-high barriers. Fair enough. But you also say that Deus Ex has good level design. Deus Ex has heavily telegraphed alternate paths and unnatural waist-high barriers.

Do you see why you're stupid or do I have to get out flashcards?

bukkit
18th Mar 2011, 19:54
All I'm saying is: You say this game has bad level design because it has heavily telegraphed alternate paths and obnoxious, unnatural waist-high barriers. Fair enough. But you also say that Deus Ex has good level design. Deus Ex has heavily telegraphed alternate paths and unnatural waist-high barriers.

Do you see why you're stupid or do I have to get out flashcards?

if i was comparing the cover-corridor design of that level to any game. i mentioned the chaos theory and gears of war. (present games) the technology polycount per level now and 10 years ago is very very different

also deus ex 1 has poor models, textures and animations. but the bar today is raised a lot higher u no.

so youre the one acting stupid and totally missing the point.
anyway heres another bacon cat for you:
http://www.scalzi.com/cattapebacon3.jpg

3rdmillhouse
18th Mar 2011, 19:54
- Deaf guard in the beginning of demo. Normally he had to hear Adam's steps. Although it may be another conspiracy and it's up to us to uncover the truth.

Mocassin shoes.

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 19:58
What the hell guys. Deus Ex 1 had terrible graphics even for it's time... Nobody bitcched about it then. Now, we have a game that is one of the best looking games I've seen, and people complain about the graphics.

Sjeez

bukkit
18th Mar 2011, 20:00
What's bad about it, exactly? I know you don't like the fact that there are things, perhaps stacked in a way that makes cover available.
is there any challenge for the player to find himself a good cover position? no - thats the problem

It was a bit more messy and cluttered than you might expect from a similar location in real life but.
i worked in logistics, and that is not true

desks, cubicles, filing cabinets. Reality is littered with convenient cover.
is not the same as boxes, boxes, boxes, boxes, barrel, boxes

bukkit
18th Mar 2011, 20:02
What the hell guys. Deus Ex 1 had terrible graphics even for it's time... Nobody bitcched about it then.

aw cmon. it had reflective floors, i was amazed

MattAndersn
18th Mar 2011, 20:03
I have a feeling the PC version is going to be like the PC version of Mass Effect 2 where it feels like they just took the console version and slapped it on PC with different HUD.

SageSavage
18th Mar 2011, 20:04
one of the best looking games I've seen, and people complain about the graphics.

http://www.augen-enders.de/images/ringe.gif

is not the same as boxes, boxes, boxes, boxes, explosive barrel, unbreakable boxes
Fixed.

H.D.Case
18th Mar 2011, 20:10
Yay! The infolink picture looks like System Shock 2 diary pictures! :D It makes me warm inside :D
Plus, I have to say, the environment in this location reminds of of Deus Ex & VtM: Bloodlines. Nice work! And all the random electrical don't-they-have-maintenance-crew-there fields that we remember so well from the old game! :) And nice dialogues out there!

Bad stuff: the cliched theme these days - the highlighting, in horrible horrible numbers! Who had the idea to implement that? I am sure it was Dugas :p (we all know that JJB is the good cop, and Dugas is the bad cop, and all they say is a part of this wicked game EM is playing with us - admit it! And now everybody knows!). And all the old stuff that we said that sucks (two items - take a guess), still looks sucky. Soooorrry for being so outspoken :p You HAVE to know what's wrong.

Edit: one thing bothered me, during the stealth walkthrough. Why didn't the guard hear the door opening, when we opened it just next to the guy? I've heard the AI in DX is door sensitive too? :/

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 20:11
is not the same as boxes, boxes, boxes, boxes, barrel, boxes

Depends on the location. Were we shown a gameplay clip of Adam in an open plan office and it were lots of boxes and barrels, you would have a point. But we weren't. It was a place with shipping containers and forklift trucks. I think boxes (and other storage items) are quite suited to such an environment.

i worked in logistics, and that is not true

OK then, so you're saying that level was about as cluttered (or less so) than a similar environment in real life. So what's the issue? You're annoyed that there is too much stuff around for cover, but also say that's what you'd expect to see in a real equivalent. So...you'd rather have something devoid of believable objects, creating an unbelievable level space, in order to drastically reduce the amount of hiding/cover-using, which would make the game better....? For some reason?

I think there's a misstep in logic there somewhere. You seem to be hating on the level design for the sake of it even though it's believable and gameplay-enabling all at the same time. That's like playing Gran Turismo and complaining about how all the asphalt is grey.

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 20:14
fox you can joke what you want. Sure, from a technical standpoint the game isn't up there with something like crysis but...

There is more than the amount of polygons that make a game look good. (art design and animation for example)

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 20:16
-Art design, animation,

Don't mention those things Zakka! The art design has been written off because of the orange, and the animation because of the facial animations we've seen! :)

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 20:20
Hehe I complained about the facial animation as well. However, everything else has great animation imo. From the takedowns to enemy ragdolls flying away from explosions and such.

bukkit
18th Mar 2011, 20:24
You seem to be hating on the level design for the sake of it even though it's believable and gameplay-enabling all at the same time. That's like playing Gran Turismo and complaining about how all the asphalt is grey.

im not hating it. the boxes seemed stacked without any logic (even blocking the eventual path for the van in that area) if there is a guarded area there should be some kind of a challenge to pass it undetected. boxes stacked together would make a lot more seance. and less easy to find a cover. then the player should think more how to pass such a stage (make a diversion, throw something to trick guards attention) run through the open area to a convinient cover across the alley. feel satisfied when your plan worked. and so on.

this is how i would tackle the designh of such a level (adding some climbable poles , vents, or breakable lights wouldn't hurt either.) there should be a rule, where is no cover, seek for shadows, be stealth, be smart.

- tell me honestly, wouldnt such level design be better, more appealing, challenging ?

this way its just a gears of war style cover corridor. its irrelevant if it was the same in the first game, today the standards should be a lot higher.

bukkit
18th Mar 2011, 20:26
art design and animation for example
or completely missing facial animation during something as intense as a close-up lethal takedown ? :)

SageSavage
18th Mar 2011, 20:28
fox you can joke what you want. Sure, from a technical standpoint the game isn't up there with something like crysis.

There is more than the amount of polygons that make a game look good though...

-Art design, animation, etcetera.

Unfortunatley I'm not getting warm with any of these aspects so far. They're all very mixed bags so far and they're are all just barely reaching current gen standard. I loved the atmosphere during the city stroll but this first level or the warehouse just look dull. Did you see those trucks? I hate the omnipresent color scheme, it already starts to feel suffocating to me. Let's be honest: technically a game that looks like this could've been realized 5 years ago. Stalker SoC looks way better then this one and it was released in 2007

Pinky_Powers
18th Mar 2011, 20:29
Loved the footage! Great to see the diversity and freedom at play. Best video thus far!

Thanks EM. And thanks Kyle, as you probably had a real hand in getting this made; seems very much in line with what we've been asking for. :thumb:

And always a delight to hear DeMarle speak to the fans. :flowers:

---------------------------------

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/3817/leveldesign2.jpg

I absolutely agree with you here. Most of your nonsense was rather dumb, but I've had a problem with this hideously deliberate path since I saw it in the old EyeFinity footage. I mean goddamn! Why are there ramps to aid in an effortless travel when a regular person is never supposed to be up there. I mean Jesus! This hidden path is wheelchair accessible!

:mad2:

Also, Highlighting needs to go. It's WAY too much, and even if it weren't, it'd still be too much.

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 20:34
this way its just a gears of war style cover corridor.

No it's not...

And there IS a challenge. You still have to smart, use the cover carefully, time your movements along with enemy patrols. There is still plenty of open area where you can be detected. In the video, they didn't just hide behind Box A, move to Box B and that was it. They did what you suggested and found a different route. Through the side door, into the hidden crawlspace, out the other side to some cover. Into the next bit of cover and around the parked van. Wait until the enemy turns away, then time the movement to the door.

Isn't that exactly what you were suggesting?

They're all very mixed bags so far and they're are all just barely reaching current gen standard

That's just rubbish. Sorry, I don't like using that word, but it is. It's a good looking game for this generation. Not right at the top of the class, but good.

WildcatPhoenix
18th Mar 2011, 21:09
I mean Jesus! This hidden path is wheelchair accessible!

Ha! This made my day. :thumb:

I'll list my impressions in "good vs. bad" since that seems to be the prevailing format:

Good

1. Presentation- Unbroken gameplay, demonstrating run 'n gun, non-lethal, and exploration/bypass playstyles. Extremely welcome after trailer after trailer of cutscene-riddled nonsense.

2. Voice acting- Jensen sounds like a badass, but doesn't go over the top like some Marcus Fenix, super-macho gorilla. Plus, I like hearing from my character while in 1st person.

3. Options for loot pickup- Thank god we can avoid picking up that damn combat knife off every single dead body.

4. New takedown animations- This is a reluctant entry into the good category since I absolutely loathe takedowns. But at least we got a chance to see some new variations.

5. Rifle reload animation- I love how that cylinder in the middle spins and locks after reloading the clip. Very cool, very unique.

Bad

1. Waist-high cover- The middle zone of this segment is positively ridiculous looking. Nexus, you can tell me all you want about how DX1 had the same thing, but look at the walkways in that Liberty Island screenshot. They're all but straight lines-of-sight. The crates are almost exclusively stacked on the grass paths to the side. But here in the DXHR segment, you've got crates inexplicably littering what should be a pathway for vehicles to drive through. Why? So our hero has something to hide behind, duh!

2. Facedeskingly obvious alt routes- As Pinky pointed out, why is there a freakin' ramp set up on these crates that no one should realistically be walking on? I want to have to get creative with stacking objects and find/make my own path around an obstacle, not be spoonfed THIS IS THE PATH TO BYPASS THE COMBAT CHALLENGE.

3. Facial animations- The first guard gets stabbed in the abdomen and throat, and yet his face remains perfectly placid and calm. This is a serious immersion breaker for me. Just screams, "you're playing a video game."

4. Objective marker- Painfully obvious, too-much handholding here. Maybe it will not be present when your objective is unknown (we can hope).

5. Highlighting- Most everyone agrees the highlighting is waaaaaay overdone and distracting. Especially the godd**n ladders, ffs.

6. Ragdoll physics- I'm sorry, dead/unconscious bodies don't move that way. The character models in IW acted the same way, and I'm disappointed to see "the industry hasn't grown up" enough to improve on this.

7. Third-person cover- Volumes of text have been written on this subject, so I'll just leave it be.

zombieturtle01
18th Mar 2011, 21:14
I'll just copy pasta this because it's relevant to this trailer.

Despite all the effort to make the game look a lot more stylish, it still has this bland look because all the environments and objects mush together from all the yellow and orange hue. If they added some purple and blue, a good portion of ugliness would be fixed. Characters should at the very least have some blue tones, especially Adam.
I find this really frustrating, that despite all the talk of research into Renaissance themes and colors, the artistic team for this game still doesn't utilize or understand basic color theory. Any student in a painting class could tell you that no matter what, you're going to need to mix a complementary color to make something balanced.

I am not trying to say this in a mean way, this game just really needs some complementary color. You don't have to go all blue, you can still have your Renaissance colors. So far the game almost entirely consists of Yellow, Orange, and Green. Green is not complementary to yellow and orange. Adding green to orange will neither accomplish contrast or the Renaissance tones. It makes a muddy grey.

http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/9792/deuscolorsexample.jpg (http://img864.imageshack.us/i/deuscolorsexample.jpg/)
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/2782/deuscolors1.jpg (http://img576.imageshack.us/i/deuscolors1.jpg/)
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/4346/deuscolors2.jpg (http://img845.imageshack.us/i/deuscolors2.jpg/)

Before complimentary color.

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/1877/deus1.jpg (http://img708.imageshack.us/i/deus1.jpg/)

After complimentary color.

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/5430/deus2.jpg (http://img812.imageshack.us/i/deus2.jpg/)

Before.

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1571/deus3.jpg (http://img228.imageshack.us/i/deus3.jpg/)

After.

http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/227/deus4.jpg (http://img864.imageshack.us/i/deus4.jpg/)

Reven
18th Mar 2011, 21:18
For some reason these screen shots remind me of a PsP game.

3rdmillhouse
18th Mar 2011, 21:18
I absolutely agree with you here. Most of your nonsense was rather dumb, but I've had a problem with this hideously deliberate path since I saw it in the old EyeFinity footage. I mean goddamn! Why are there ramps to aid in an effortless travel when a regular person is never supposed to be up there. I mean Jesus! This hidden path is wheelchair accessible!

:mad2:

Also, Highlighting needs to go. It's WAY too much, and even if it weren't, it'd still be too much.

You'd be surprised, but I see stuff like this in real life all the time. These easily climbable paths that a midly athletic person could traverse to get access to... uh.... places this person wouldn't normaly be allowed into.

H.D.Case
18th Mar 2011, 21:22
Let's assume they place stuff this way, because parkour is very very popular those days and that's the governmental regulation :p
Hey, is it only me who thought that the first roof looks like the Duke Nukem roof you start the game at?

AlexOfSpades
18th Mar 2011, 21:23
If you just logged in the forum and you're lost, here it is the link for the gameplay footage:

WOOHOO!
(http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/deusex3/video/6304183/deus-ex-human-revolution-gameplay-walkthrough-trailer?hd=1)

But you must scream "Woohoo" to open it.

Oh, and OP, could you pleease kindly ~~ add the link to the first post?

Thanksies !

Irate_Iguana
18th Mar 2011, 21:30
Wow, you know something is wrong when I'm willing to argue on behalf of EM on the level design. It's the very first mission and obviously meant as a hand-holding tutorial. While I'm certain we'll be seeing loads more instances of questionable conveniently-placed waist-high walls it would be most prudent to keep in mind that they are trying to ease Johnny Halo into thinking like a semi-competent DX player. I don't like this approach, as I've said often enough, but even I am not so quick to dismiss all level design based on this.

Deltaslayer
18th Mar 2011, 21:35
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wU39XQGPuI

VectorM
18th Mar 2011, 21:52
good point. but that was 10 years ago. now it should look a whole lot better.

"I am rigth, even when I am wrong".

So first we have people constantly complaining about how modern level design is so bad, compared to the old days. Now all of the sudden, those games actually had BAD level design and modern games should look better, because otherwise, it's just as bad as the old days!

The **** people say to rationalize their contradictions amazes me.

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 21:56
@zombieturtle

Well...JJB keeps odering 'more blue', but they just wont listen!!!!

:D

SageSavage
18th Mar 2011, 22:05
@zombieturtle

Well...JJB keeps odering 'more blue', but they just wont listen!!!!

:D

There's this saying that goes like "He that will not hear must feel".

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 22:06
There's this saying that goes like "He that will not hear must feel".

There's also a saying that goes "In English, please?" ^^

MrFoxter
18th Mar 2011, 22:09
First level. I mean FIRST LEVEL! You guys see a part of the tutorial and say it is not difficult enough. This is no ordinary game, it's supposed to educate its players as they advance.

Have you played Portal? It was one long tutorial. Is the first level easy? Of course, because people must learn how to deal with a new type of game first, then you can design levels with harder stealth/combat.

If this was in the middle of the game, then sure, it's very easy. But it's not in the middle of the game, so I'm not gonna talk about overall level design until I see more advanced levels.

SageSavage
18th Mar 2011, 22:09
There's also a saying that goes "In English, please?" ^^

Feel free to rephrase it, since I feel unable to come up with a better translation of "Wer nicht hören will, muss fühlen." :o

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 22:12
First level. I mean FIRST LEVEL! You guys see a part of the tutorial and say it is not difficult enough.

Just to add to this note, I really liked how tutorials for each individual mechanic aren't shoved down your throat. Did you notice the OSD elements that came up saying "Hey, there's a tutorial available for the guards here. Would you like to know more? [/Starship troopers]" Whereas most games would just force you to sit through it.

Irate_Iguana
18th Mar 2011, 22:16
"Hey, there's a tutorial available for the guards here. Would you like to know more? [/Starship troopers]"

Okay, I now demand that they change the text in that box to "Guards. Would you like to know more?" Instead of "Tutorial available. Guards."

SageSavage
18th Mar 2011, 22:19
"Moron at the controls. Nurse!"

BigBoss
18th Mar 2011, 22:20

Yes, because only "old school gamers" like you know what the **** STAIRS are. I don't think you could possibly be any more condescending.

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 22:30
Unfortunatley I'm not getting warm with any of these aspects so far. They're all very mixed bags so far and they're are all just barely reaching current gen standard. I loved the atmosphere during the city stroll but this first level or the warehouse just look dull. Did you see those trucks? I hate the omnipresent color scheme, it already starts to feel suffocating to me. Let's be honest: technically a game that looks like this could've been realized 5 years ago. Stalker SoC looks way better then this one and it was released in 2007

Stalker soc looks good in his own way, but does not look better than this. In all honesty stalker soc doesn't even come close imo. Great atmosphere though.

SageSavage
18th Mar 2011, 22:34
Seems like we have different perceptions on this one so I guess we should agree to disagree.

Daeda
18th Mar 2011, 22:35
Really, some of you just seem to WANT to hate this game. The art direction is great, 3rd person works, level design is good, difficulty is tougher than most games Ive played in a long while, the highlighting is just a great visual style, radar and waypoint in no way make the game easier and multipaths will grow more complex over time. Just give the team some credit for a change instead of always looking at things on the negative side.

My 0.02 $

IOS
18th Mar 2011, 22:37
Basically, if the PC version

-Tones down or has an option to remove highlighting
-Has an option to remove the radar and objective markers
-Has a much more minimalist HUD (already partly confirmed from the EyeInfinity video)
-No button prompts

I won't really have much to complain about with this game, so long as the level design, choices and story holds up.

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 22:42
Seems like we have different perceptions on this one so I guess we should agree to disagree.

I guess. Still, I think it's wrong to compare the graphics of Stalker SoC with a game like dehr. Stalker soc goes for that gritty, realistic feel, and succeeds. DEHR looks like the artwork, which make almost every screen look like a digital painting to me. Exactly how JJB describes. I think it's brilliant.

wilm987
18th Mar 2011, 22:44
Do you think this game is worth 30$/€? I think so. I never excpected this to be better than deus ex 1.

:keir: <--- wtf is this

MrFoxter
18th Mar 2011, 22:44
Forget about Eyefinity for now. It's nearly half a year old.

I guess that they will be tweaking the HUD in upcomimg months. Looking forward to see the next version!

Pretentious Old Man.
18th Mar 2011, 22:46
Really, some of you just seem to WANT to hate this game. The art direction is great, 3rd person works, level design is good, difficulty is tougher than most games Ive played in a long while, the highlighting is just a great visual style, radar and waypoint in no way make the game easier and multipaths will grow more complex over time. Just give the team some credit for a change instead of always looking at things on the negative side.

My 0.02 $

These are all subjective opinions. It's great that you like these "features", but that doesn't mean we're obliged to.

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 22:46
Why are there ramps to aid in an effortless travel when a regular person is never supposed to be up there. I mean Jesus! This hidden path is wheelchair accessible!

This made me laugh so hard :lmao:

bukkit
18th Mar 2011, 22:50
For some reason these screen shots remind me of a PsP game.

the reason is poor graphics unfortunetly

MrFoxter
18th Mar 2011, 22:54
:keir: <--- wtf is this

It's Keir. He has Seraphic/8X clearance. Despite the fact he is leaving, you don't want to piss the guy off. Trust me.

Tecman
18th Mar 2011, 23:00
It's Keir. He has Angel/0A clearance. Despite the fact he is leaving, you don't want to piss the guy off. Trust me.
Uh, Angel/0A is the lowest of the clearances... You should've probably mentioned Seraphic/8X or God clearance.

Ashpolt
18th Mar 2011, 23:06
I watched the video earlier today, but I had a friend round and I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention and I've already forgotten most of what happened - I kept reading stuff in this thread and going "did that happen? Really?" So I'm going to watch it again now, and rather than split into good and bad, I'm just going to type as I go. I do hope you'll join me on this journey!

-Mary DeMarle. Woo!

-What the heck's up with Pritchard's face? I mean he's ugly, rather than anything else.

-I've complained about the highlighting before, but on that ladder it's just taking the <<slang word for urine.>> It looks hideous, especially where the highlighting goes around Adam's hands. If you absolutely, absolutely have to have the highlighting, can it at least be off when we're actually climbing the ladder? If people are halfway down it, I think they're going to already know it's interactive.

-Objective marker. Bah.

-Console footage. Again. Double bah. Come on EM, you can't possibly expect us to believe that the PC version is being treated with the same amount of care as the console versions when you absolutely refuse to show it to us in any official capacity?

-I like the streamers on the air vents. Nice little touch.

-Adam walks up to the guard at quite a pace, but isn't heard. Has he got some kind of noise reducing aug? It doesn't seem to be using power if so.

-Black screen before (urrghhh) the third person takedown. Was that present in previous builds? I don't remember it. Breaks the flow of the game even more. Not good.

-One bullet takes Adam down to 50% health. Nice. (And yeah, it is the bullet rather than the explosion, they're a second or so apart.)

-Body looting is massively improved from the first Deus Ex. Good stuff.

-[On the cover system] "Tthis is entirely optional" Yeah, in theory it is, but as you say, it's "very useful." I still remain unconvinced that it'll be possible to forego the cover system without massively crippling yourself, considering the game is designed and balanced around using it. It's a "wait and see," but I note that all of the footage we've seen has shown the player going into third person whenever an enemy is near. Show us some footage of the player attacking or stealthing around enemies without using the cover system (and without relying on prior knowledge of where the enemies are) and I'll believe it's optional.

-"Path blocked by an electrical field" bit - don't I recognise this from Lebedev's airfield? :P

-Damage indicator is a brief red directional flash, but no "bloody screen - SO REAL!" This is absolutely fine, IMO.

-I think it's kind of a shame that Adam can simply turn the breaker box off. Seems like here would've been a great chance to show off the hacking minigame.

-Tiny, tiny thing, but I love the animation of the vents opening, with the arms on the sides. Meant to mention this after seeing the PAX footage, but forgot.

-When Jensen says "I got in through the roof, I'll mention it in the next security report" why does Pritchard say "Oh goody, I'll take notes" when he was the one who told Jensen about that entrance in the first place?

-----

Overall though, I liked this footage. There are the usual bugbears about third person and lack of proper melee, but considering those things aren't going to get fixed, this is about as good a demonstration of the action / infiltration side of DXHR as EM could have put together. We still need to see some of the hub areas (i.e. areas where there's no immediate enemy danger) and for god's sake show us some damn PC footage already, but it was nice to finally actually see some gameplay - even if only actually a couple of minute's worth, done in 3 different ways - rather than some flashy, heavily edited trailer that looks nice but ultimately tells us very little. I'd definitely like to see more like this - maybe the next one could focus on how different augs can support the different "pillars"? A similar multi-path approach, but this time showing how you'd use augs to do it, rather than how you'd use your basic tools.

And maybe the next video could be PC footage. ;)

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 23:13
-Console footage. Again. Double bah. Come on EM, you can't possibly expect us to believe that the PC version is being treated with the same amount of care as the console versions when you absolutely refuse to show it to us in any official capacity?

It will be being treated with the same amount of care, for sure :) Bear in mind the PC needs to be able to work on multiple different hardware configurations at a huge number of resolutions, different graphical settings, and so on and so forth. Although performance issues wouldn't be there in a demo because you can run a rig you know works and use a stable build, it's quite likely they wouldn't be in a position to show the PC version at its best, even if they wanted to.

Perhaps they have a stable PC build, but when they run the new DX11 shaders it causes lighting and shadow bugs. So for the demo they have to not run the DX11 shaders. Then they get fans going "Hmm, that doesn't look like it's even USING DX11 at all! What the hell? They really are just pandering to the consoles."

MrFoxter
18th Mar 2011, 23:15
Uh, Angel/0A is the lowest of the clearances... You should've probably mentioned Seraphic/8X or God clearance.

Thanks Tecman.

I seriously need some sleep. Or I'll return back to my Deus Ex meditation at X51. Anyway, fix'd.

bukkit
18th Mar 2011, 23:24
Perhaps they have a stable PC build, but when they run the new DX11 shaders it causes lighting and shadow bugs. So for the demo they have to not run the DX11 shaders.
quite interesting info. source ?

Fox89
18th Mar 2011, 23:27
quite interesting info. source ?

Not info, just a possible example based on the kinds of things I know can happen. Pure speculation :)

ZakKa89
18th Mar 2011, 23:38
Man the game looks so detailed. After a closer look, I see almost everything has the name of some brand slapped on it. There are stickers everywhere. Love this. So much care and attention to the detail of the world.

Ashpolt
18th Mar 2011, 23:45
It will be being treated with the same amount of care, for sure :)

And what is that statement based on, other than blind faith in the word of the very people that are trying to sell you the product? Don't get me wrong, I'm not stating with absolute certainty that it isn't being treated with the same level of care either, just that the fact that we've not (officially) seen any PC footage at all so far is ominous, and I won't believe it's being treated properly (or, as mentioned, take it for certain that it's not) until I've seen, or preferably played, otherwise.

Bear in mind the PC needs to be able to work on multiple different hardware configurations at a huge number of resolutions, different graphical settings, and so on and so forth. Although performance issues wouldn't be there in a demo because you can run a rig you know works and use a stable build, it's quite likely they wouldn't be in a position to show the PC version at its best, even if they wanted to.

You undermined your own point there: while as you say, the PC version will require a lot more work overall to get it running on such a wide variety of configs, to record and show a demo video they only need it to run acceptably on one, so that issue disappears.

Perhaps they have a stable PC build,

Well we know that they have to some degree - there's last year's eyefinity footage if nothing else, and JJB has tweeted about playing the PC version at home.

[...]but when they run the new DX11 shaders it causes lighting and shadow bugs. So for the demo they have to not run the DX11 shaders. Then they get fans going "Hmm, that doesn't look like it's even USING DX11 at all! What the hell? They really are just pandering to the consoles."

If that is the case, then a) why the heck are the DX11 shaders not working yet? The game was originally meant to be out last month, and as late as last November we were being told it was definitely on schedule for that date, and b) they could simply release a video with a disclaimer at the start saying "Note, DX11 effects are disabled in this demo, but will be shown in future footage." The reason I want to see the PC version is more for the interface than the graphics.

Wunderbar_007
18th Mar 2011, 23:47
I doubt very VERY much that the PC interface will be any different than what we saw here today.

Senka
18th Mar 2011, 23:52
Interesting watch. Two things that jumped out at me: Very very quiet. Also, no headbob is weird. It's like a camera is just gliding along rails.

Ashpolt
I doubt very VERY much that the PC interface will be any different than what we saw here today.

EM have said the interface will be different on PC....which is why I want to see it (and play with it, preferably via a demo.) The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and all that. Had they not explicitly said it in interviews, I'd be right there with you on doubting it though. But hey, "different interface" could technically simply mean they've changed "Press O" to "Press F" (or whatever) - so again, I'd like to see it to see just how much it's actually changed. Is it really tailored to PC, or is it just PR-speak?

Some people on here have been saying that the PC version will have a toolbelt, a la DX1 - has anyone actually got a link to them saying this, or is it just wishful thinking? I don't recall seeing or hearing it anywhere other than here on the forum.

ZakKa89

It will, according to EM. If a remember correctly, we can even assign numbers to items in our inventory, just like in dx. :cool:

Fox89
19th Mar 2011, 00:03
And what is that statement based on, other than blind faith in the word of the very people that are trying to sell you the product?

The fact that I work in QA with Codemasters, so I know how a large developer/publisher deals with its multiplatform titles. :) I also know the basic ways some other big publishers work thanks to friends I graduated with. Now, I suppose it is certainly possible that EM do things differently, but I'd find it pretty unlikely.

You undermined your own point there: while as you say, the PC version will require a lot more work overall to get it running on such a wide variety of configs, to record and show a demo video they only need it to run acceptably on one, so that issue disappears.

Well my point was rather that it is harder to optimize it even for a single hardware configuration when you're busy optimizing it for 100! So the ease of getting a bug-free, polished demo build is significantly lessened, at least when compared to the consoles.

If that is the case, then a) why the heck are the DX11 shaders not working yet? The game was originally meant to be out last month, and as late as last November we were being told it was definitely on schedule for that date, and b) they could simply release a video with a disclaimer at the start saying "Note, DX11 effects are disabled in this demo, but will be shown in future footage."

a) Well, was just an example, I doubt it would be anything crippling at this stage. Even if they just have small issues like some texture flickering or level of detail pop in, that kind of thing can be simple enough to fix but there's often a lot of it. Again, for press demos when release is still some time away may be best to focus on something...less temperamental! And yes, we know it was scheduled for release soon, but obviously something changed, didn't it? I am highly sceptical that it was purely down to SE's accountants. Falling behind with lots of problem bugs to fix seems a pretty likely candidate.

And in a game of this scale, we're talking tens of thousands of bugs. Each individual one having to be reported, resolved and verified. It's a time consuming process.

b) Yes they could, but there's no real incentive to. And you'll always get some people who look at screenshots afterwards, missing the disclaimer entirely, or somebody posts a shot that has the bottom of the screen cropped off where they have a little "note: does not feature DX11 yet" subtitle. And people will jump to conclusions that its the final version, and it looks rubbish for the PC, blah blah. Might as well avoid all that unnecessary trouble and show a console version.

I too hope we see some proper PC stuff before release though :)

Tverdyj
19th Mar 2011, 00:07
Highlighting, while annoying, is only really noticeable up close. given the overall colour scheme, while I don't like the execution, I can see the rationale. (if there's a lot of generally orange-ish objects,a nd only some are usable, player shoud see which ones). though this is still stupid in terms of ladders.

the biggest gripe I have is the radar. that has easy mode written all over it.

Fox89
19th Mar 2011, 00:09
the biggest gripe I have is the radar. that has easy mode written all over it.

According to some maths my friend did (I did not verify lol), judged on the rate of health regeneration the demo was played on 'normal mode'.

To clarify, if you wern't aware we got a pic of a bit of paper with the difficulty levels and how long it takes health to regen for each on a while back! Hence how the maths could be done. Again, I didnt check as maths isn't my strong point. Although I can add and subtract!

Tverdyj
19th Mar 2011, 00:15
I did not see said pic.

What I meant was, the rader removes the challenge, and the unpredictability. I can accept (grudgingly) the cover system "peeks" as analogous to the "crouch-strafe-strafe back"of the original to let you know the enemies' position. But being able to track their direction all the time greatly diminishes the planning your approach, since you no longer plan for contingencies.

Neuromancer07
19th Mar 2011, 00:23
Man the game looks so detailed. After a closer look, I see almost everything has the name of some brand slapped on it. There are stickers everywhere. Love this. So much care and attention to the detail of the world.

This. After the horrible universal metal-corridor and circular steel door aesthetic of Mass Effect, the level of detail and care in everything in Human Revolution just puts it to shame and that's prior to even considering the incomparably more ambitious gameplay (and indeed everything else).

bukkit
19th Mar 2011, 00:27
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/7393/megafail.png

i wonder why stacking crates to get up on the container, when theres a ladder right there :)

SageSavage
19th Mar 2011, 00:33
Most likely the ladder is just unusable decoration.

Wunderbar_007
19th Mar 2011, 00:43
But hey, "different interface" could technically simply mean they've changed "Press O" to "Press F" (or whatever) - so again, I'd like to see it to see just how much it's actually changed. Is it really tailored to PC, or is it just PR-speak?

That's honestly what I fear might happen. We'll see, I hope I'm wrong :) They did say in the Q&A that PC news about DX11 and whatnot coming soon, so let's hope!

ricwhite
19th Mar 2011, 00:45
Enjoyed the video footage. Looking forward to the game. However, the conveniently tailored paths and coincidentally placed objects along with the overuse of highlighted items comes across to me as "dumbing down". Personally, I prefer games which require painstaking searching, effort, and manipulation in order to accomplish objectives. I like tasks which border on frustratingly difficult. It's quite a rush to find or develop a route or approach which is not obvious but took effort and creativity to uncover. I enjoy having to re-approach objectives after failures to plan and employ new strategies which hopefully lead to successes. When the successes eventually come, they are much more rewarding because of the effort it took to get there.

I hope the seemingly tailored routes and highlighted objects shown in this video are only for tutorial purposes and not indicative of the game as a whole.

sonicsidewinder
19th Mar 2011, 01:00

i wonder why stacking crates to get up on the container, when theres a ladder right there :)

haha good eye.

pha
19th Mar 2011, 01:05
Dammit how hard is it to answer a simple Yes or No question this late in development!?

You wouldn't believe.

Arksun
19th Mar 2011, 01:13
-When Jensen says "I got in through the roof, I'll mention it in the next security report" why does Pritchard say "Oh goody, I'll take notes" when he was the one who told Jensen about that entrance in the first place?

You answered your own question there ;)

Pretentious Old Man.
19th Mar 2011, 01:17
If I have a fear for the game at this stage, it's not about any of the gameplay, it's about the level design. Or, to be more exact, the art-style itself. I really liked the black and gold thing to start with, but I'm beginning to find it horrendously laboured and tedious now, typical of how artists often try and slap their own pretention on things (no offense to JJB personally, I'm just talking generally). The more different locales we are shown that all look exactly the bloody same the more I start to long for a different colour scheme, just every once in a while.

Maybe its because I've never liked or understood comic books or comic book art. (I tend to fall more in the school of thought that art should recreate reality, but I guess I'm in a minority on that one nowadays)

ricwhite
19th Mar 2011, 01:26
If I have a fear for the game at this stage, it's not about any of the gameplay, it's about the level design. Or, to be more exact, the art-style itself. I really liked the black and gold thing to start with, but I'm beginning to find it horrendously laboured and tedious now

Hard to tell since so little of the game has really been seen. However, I know what you mean. One of the thrills in gaming is when you emerge into a new setting and it's completely different in color, mood, atmosphere, etc. That's often what makes game memorable. The original Deus Ex had some of that.

ricwhite
19th Mar 2011, 01:29

That ladder is not usable because it isn't glowing in bright yellow highlights. :D

Ashpolt
19th Mar 2011, 01:31
The fact that I work in QA with Codemasters, so I know how a large developer/publisher deals with its multiplatform titles. :) I also know the basic ways some other big publishers work thanks to friends I graduated with. Now, I suppose it is certainly possible that EM do things differently, but I'd find it pretty unlikely.

It's entirely dependent on the company. I used to work for a major games company who had little regard for the PC versions of its multi-platform games. This was not long after the 360 and PS3 launched, and though PCs of the time were already much more powerful than those consoles, the PC versions of their multiplat games were actually ports of the PS2 games. And as a general rule, companies have even less regard for the PC as a platform nowadays than they did even those 5 or so years ago. Nearly all devs of multiplat games say that their PC version is being given significant love, and isn't a simple port, but it's rarely true. EM have no history here, so we have nothing to go on other than what we've seen already - and what we've seen already is a complete reluctance to show the PC version. I'm hoping to be proved wrong, but until then, that seems fishy to me.

As for the rest of your post (don't want to quote-pick really);

For what it's worth, I think you're right, and the reason they're not showing the PC version is because it's not ready to be shown. But that doesn't say anything good about the PC version, does it? You can point out that the PC version requires more work as much as you like, but if a competent dev team really intended it to be a top quality product, and not a bog standard port, they would have devoted more people to that version from the very beginning to combat that exact problem. If they can't show us a single screenshot of the PC version 5 months before release, it bodes very badly indeed.

[EDIT]

You answered your own question there ;)

Did I? :hmm:

Deus_Ex_Machina
19th Mar 2011, 01:57
The fact that I work in QA with Codemasters

You people royally ****ed up with Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising and, according to CM forums, you people are doing it again with Operation Flashpoint: Red River.

The Q&A guys, PR guys and project leads lied their asses off and/or withheld important information just to trick people into buying their garbage.

Trainwreck
19th Mar 2011, 02:14
Good God, everything I see on this game makes me oscillate back and forth between it being one of the best games of this generation or a complete and utter failure.

What's bad in this video: the radar and the highlighting. Nothing more needs to be said, since it'd just be an echo of other sentiments on this board. Needless to say, these two things alone have the potential to bring this game from an outstanding 95% average rating (assuming it is otherwise stellar in all areas) down to a mediocre 80%. That's not even counting regenerating health, third person cams, and the one-button insta-kills which already compromise the product.

But what I think a lot of people may be overlooking in this video is that the original Deus Ex didn't exactly go out of its way to hide alternate paths. In fact, I'd say most of the time, they were well presented and fairly obvious to the player. This video shows what appears to be paths very similar to that, in my opinion. The Liberty Island level, for example, had a lot of vents, stackable crates, hidden rooms, etc. that were often fairly obvious.

The gameplay vid feauting The Hive looked like it would be full of hidden areas and ripe for lots of the exploration we love.