PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Hidden Secrets,Pathways,Rooms

Vasarto
15th Mar 2011, 20:51
What are some of the Favorite Hidden pathways or rooms that you always must seek out each time you play Deus Ex?
I am speaking of the first of course!

For some reason I cannot play without visiting these places for some odd reason. Mostly because they all hold secret stuff that is nice to have in your inventory.

1.There is a ledge outside near jocks apartment in Tonnachi road in Honk Kong that has a healthy supply of ammo for the sniper rifle along with a sniper rifle itself I always pick up.

2.The health robot in the first stage when you start the game hidden inside of those giant metal creates

3.At the Plane terminal there is two places I always hit up. A secret weapons storage room behind a book case I think it was and behind the stairs before you get to Paul.

4.Pretty much all the hard to get to places in hong hong. The under ground water place below the black van, the waterways are my favorite because they are loaded with secret tunnels, rooms and pathways. As well as that back passage to maggie chows place where you meet that Junkie

5.Vent ducts....everywhere. I can never play the game without exploring these..Like all of them. People would be surprised where they can lead lol.

AlexOfSpades
15th Mar 2011, 21:49
I hate vent ducts. Its impossible to get inside one in real life, and even if you do, its bound to break. They're held in the ceiling by some tiny bolts, it would never hold an adult man. Unless they're augmented or somethin

I really like Alex Jacobson's secret room. And in Thief, i love the Bow Upgrade. Took me hours in the Bonehoard to find that, and that was because of the Thief 4 forums people that gave me a few advices.

pha
15th Mar 2011, 23:55
The one in the tutorial.

Pldgmygrievance
16th Mar 2011, 00:55
I found one the last time I played, years ago.

It was some guy on life support who said he was the leader of one of the factions. He was in some suped up post-modern iron lung type thing.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about do you mind refreshing my memory of the details of that room/guy?

Jerion
16th Mar 2011, 01:01
I found one the last time I played, years ago.

It was some guy on life support who said he was the leader of one of the factions. He was in some suped up post-modern iron lung type thing.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about do you mind refreshing my memory of the details of that room/guy?

Luscious beers, hidden behind Morgan Everett's mirror.

Vasarto
16th Mar 2011, 01:16
Yeah I remember finding him. For some reason I have always put him out of his misery. I just cannot bare seeing him lied too like that and used.

pha
16th Mar 2011, 01:18
I wish there was a long term result of telling him the truth.

Vasarto
16th Mar 2011, 01:32
I know, There was quite a few things in the game like that. Like walking into the ladies bathroom at the beginning of the game. Stuff like that with minutely negative to them.

Hopefully in HR they will change stuff like that where things have a greater impact later on in the game.

EricaLeeV
16th Mar 2011, 01:38
I always like finding the collapsed tunnel in Hong Kong. There may be an easier way to get there but I always used to go through a store's freezer locker, climb to the top, open a vent, and travel from there to my destination. :)

Jerion
16th Mar 2011, 01:49
I always like finding the collapsed tunnel in Hong Kong. There may be an easier way to get there but I always used to go through a store's freezer locker, climb to the top, open a vent, and travel from there to my destination. :)

I know it's an absurdly well-hidden route, but I can't help but think that a maintenance door has no business leading to the ceiling vent of a freezer.

VectorM
16th Mar 2011, 04:10
I know, There was quite a few things in the game like that. Like walking into the ladies bathroom at the beginning of the game. Stuff like that with minutely negative to them.

Hopefully in HR they will change stuff like that where things have a greater impact later on in the game.

Yeah, being in the ladies bathroom should have greater consequences.

Like finding a random GameInformer magazine on the ground, with info about the whereabouts of the bad guys. You can choose to show that info to your boss, which will have the consequences of killing everyone at the end, because the info was wrong, believe it or not.

gh0s7
16th Mar 2011, 04:54
Actually, to me, it's easier to point out those that I don't check out every time I play the game again, namely the canal in Hong Kong; not just all the secret places in and around the canal, but also the floor in Maggie's building being worked over. Never really appealed after the first time I took the time finding it.
Every other room is visited and ransacked. Looted. Checked out, even just for story-wise regardless of knowing exactly what I'll find/read. Because it's Deus Ex. :D

This m.o. isn't the same in IW, for obvious reasons.

MaxxQ1
16th Mar 2011, 05:13
What are some of the Favorite Hidden pathways or rooms that you always must seek out each time you play Deus Ex?
I am speaking of the first of course!

For some reason I cannot play without visiting these places for some odd reason. Mostly because they all hold secret stuff that is nice to have in your inventory.

2.The health robot in the first stage when you start the game hidden inside of those giant metal creates

You *do* know there's two medbots hidden in crates on Liberty Island, right? The second one is on the side of the island you'd be on if you took a right going up the initial ramp at the beginning of the level, just past the two guys talking near the side of the building that you can overhear, where they're arguing about whether Gunther is a good soldier or just relying on functionality... upgrades.

Oh, yeah... there's also the floating crate underwater at the dock at the very start of the game after you talk to Paul. Just go down the steps into the water and pick up a biocell and a medkit, I think... maybe a multitool?

While we're on Liberty Island and talking about being underwater, I don't suppose you know about the sunken barge over by the contact (Harley Filben) you're supposed to meet? Crates with a shotgun, a couple weapon mods, and something else.

Luscious beers, hidden behind Morgan Everett's mirror.

Luscious Beers... I LOL'd big time. :lol:

Lucius DeBeers, you ninny. :D

Jerion
16th Mar 2011, 05:35
^^ :P

In the GOTY edition at least, there's a spot where you can get to some goodies stashed outside the back walls at Vandenburg. My favorite little secret.

Senka
16th Mar 2011, 07:50
I keep hearing alex jacobson has a hidden room but I could never bloody find the damn thing. Searched his office so many times.

Tverdyj
16th Mar 2011, 08:09
hint: crouch. and look by the desk.

the Canal is by far my favouite. only thing that justifies the Aqualung +swimming skll combo is being able to deal with the two carkians underwater and grab the aug canister all in one go.

I also love Nicolette's little stash, including the zyme bottles.

I think those are my favourite ones... though the hidden rooms in Lebedev's terminal are also a must. there's also another secret, in the rec room, that has a crate with a thrmoptic camo, i believe?

InGroove2
16th Mar 2011, 17:18
i enjoy the alternate way of entering the armory to get your equipment back in the hidden MJ12 base under UNATCO.

in all of my playthroughs, the MedBots in crates on liberty island isn't ringing a bell...

Jerion
16th Mar 2011, 18:23
i enjoy the alternate way of entering the armory to get your equipment back in the hidden MJ12 base under UNATCO.

in all of my playthroughs, the MedBots in crates on liberty island isn't ringing a bell...

Wait. There's an alternate access to the armory besides te two doors?

InGroove2
16th Mar 2011, 18:26
Wait. There's an alternate access to the armory besides te two doors?

totally. in fact i remember about a year ago mentioning this and you replied almost exactly the same ;)

go to the right as you enter the armory area. hidden just after the corner is a ladder leading up to a catwalk. you can take it from there

Neuromancer07
16th Mar 2011, 18:26
Every seasoned player knows about the researcher in the collapsed tunnel near the karkians but did you know if you travel in the opposite direction in the tunnel, you find a laser mod and an exploration bonus? It looks like there's nothing there from afar, but it's behind a piece of collapsed cement.

Jerion
16th Mar 2011, 18:49
totally. in fact i remember about a year ago mentioning this and you replied almost exactly the same ;)

go to the right as you enter the armory area. hidden just after the corner is a ladder leading up to a catwalk. you can take it from there

Hah! Well that's something new to me (again?) :)

jtr7
17th Mar 2011, 06:28
I know it's an absurdly well-hidden route, but I can't help but think that a maintenance door has no business leading to the ceiling vent of a freezer.

When you work in 100-year-old buildings, you find lots of nonsensical use of space. The rooms' original functions get changed, walls are moved or removed, doors and light switches are no longer in convenient places or are redundantly clustered, vents are covered by filing cabinets, windows are blocked by bookshelves... But in that particular case, it's quite possible there was no backstory in the designers' minds.

And in Thief, i love the Bow Upgrade. Took me hours in the Bonehoard to find that, and that was because of the Thief 4 forums people that gave me a few advices.

Hahaha! Sneaksie taffer!

Angel-A
17th Mar 2011, 21:57
The collapsed tunnel in Hong Kong was great... I didn't even notice it until after a few play-throughs. It made me kind of sad to read the note from the guy who bled to death in there.

Another one is that office in Paris with the Icarus phone call. :D

TheYouthCounselor
20th Mar 2011, 11:39
The sunken boat next to the Liberty Island dock.

Firepith
20th Mar 2011, 16:46
I just don't know if I can go back and play DX1 without this new-fangled gold outlining thing. It would have been so much easier to find everything. Someone should make a mod for this. [/sarcasm]

Aegrim
20th Mar 2011, 17:41
The entire MJ12 complex under hells kitchen.

Didn't find it the first time at all.

The Con
14th Jun 2011, 23:51
goodbye gunther.... *flips switch* lol I joke : )
I like gunther, he's kinda humorous releif
did you know that gunther herman with his first letters switched around is german hunther, minus the extra h on the second part of his last name, and there you have it, german hunter, he is the character that pursues you the most in the game, unless u kill him of course Thats the secret folks, aside from maybe the whole running gag about the dart game, and coming in a very close 3rd place is the training area secrets which are very cool in the conspiracy, I just killed the unconcious soldier, so I ended the training a little earliy :P

Senka
15th Jun 2011, 02:32
hint: crouch. and look by the desk.

Still can't find the bloody thing. Which desk, the one he sits at with the 3 tubes? The one with his PC? Or the other useless ones???

JCpies
15th Jun 2011, 08:12
Still can't find the bloody thing. Which desk, the one he sits at with the 3 tubes? The one with his PC? Or the other useless ones???

"Across from the closet is a table with a newspaper and two soda cans on it; get in between the table and the wall and line yourself up with the newspaper. Face the wall and look straight down; you should see an option to open up a panel in the floor."

My favourite is probably so obscure that I don't remember it.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
15th Jun 2011, 11:36
Things I missed first time through.

1. Weapons Storage Room at LaGuardia, just didn't see the highlighting until I explored...
2. How to enter the enter collapsed tunnel in HK. Might have had something to do with playing on DX Renderer.
3. Better not to explode MIB, they carry aug upgrades and high value items.

I find a lot of players are like myself and Jerion, they discover things that are probably oversights, but missed one secret elsewhere. The Vandenberg map also has a massive bsp error behind the walls and I notice the pre-beta has no walls. I wonder if the outlying areas were meant for the Raiders and Salvagers sidequests.

m G h m u o s
15th Jun 2011, 11:39
The hidden floor compartment in UNATCO HQ that I managed to find purely by chance. instead of talking to that woman I was running around looking at the floor for some reason XD and just caught a glimpse of the highlight box.

Oh and the utterly ridiculously well hidden space at the top of an elevator shaft that you have to climb the railings of the elevator to reach (I tried jumping it a bunch of times before realising JC can climb the railings, thought it was only ladders).

The entire MJ12 complex under hells kitchen.

Didn't find it the first time at all.
Haha same. I completely missed the kid cos I was busy braking the crates under the dock and then I found that metal box by chance and was like "....HUH?"

Graeme
15th Jun 2011, 11:44
I'm looking forward to the DX:HR version of this thread when the game comes out.

Daedatheus
16th Jun 2011, 05:00
My favourite secret (unfairly decided because it was actually a NEW one I discovered on my last playthrough!) is on that boat in the HK canals where the lady is selling weapon upgrades. You read a note lying in the cabin of the boat about a repairbot, so you just know there must be a hidden compartment somewhere. Search around, tug an inconspicuous lantern, and voila.... hidden engine room.

Finding new stuff in the game always makes me giddy like a child.

Senka
16th Jun 2011, 06:56
"Across from the closet is a table with a newspaper and two soda cans on it; get in between the table and the wall and line yourself up with the newspaper. Face the wall and look straight down; you should see an option to open up a panel in the floor."

Ah, thank you. There's two hatches near each other for it too. Very well hidden.

JCpies
16th Jun 2011, 07:38
A couple of things I missed;

1. The turrets/watchtowers in LaGuardia airport, I didn't know you could enter them.

There's too many to count, I mean, I've probably still got stuff to look for, and I'm on my 6th-ish playthrough.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
16th Jun 2011, 08:21
Something a lot of people miss in DX1 is the actual possible length of conversations. Sometimes cutscenes will stop and revert to 1st person, but that doesn't necessarily mean the NPC has no more to say. This happens with the in-game conversation as well as cutscenes. An example of this is the first encounter, with Paul at the Docks. There's actually several cutscenes to be had with Paul, before exiting the dock.

Also some of the best conversations in DX1 can almost be missed, such as the prisoners before Simons kills them.

JCpies
16th Jun 2011, 08:32
'Get the hell out of here Denton'

m G h m u o s
16th Jun 2011, 10:55
The switches disguised as laterns in the Hong Kong hub are great finds too.

JCpies
16th Jun 2011, 11:22
The switches disguised as laterns in the Hong Kong hub are great finds too.

There's more than one? The only one I've found is in Maggie Chow's appartment. I need to find them!

[FGS]Shadowrunner
16th Jun 2011, 12:38
I liked the way that you could stealth and listen to many conversations about secrets and hidden items.
Or simply a conversation with JC...

My mom's room -- and, look, her favorite painting! I can't believe the assassins
didn't take it. Oh, the hours she would spend just sitting at that table and
staring up at her priceless treasure.

El Zoido
16th Jun 2011, 13:04
Maybe not my "favorite", but I'm right now playing DX again (due to an upcoming release of the New Vision texture pack for it, just didn't want to wait before starting...) and only now discovered that you can enter the lab area in the Versalife/MJ12 level by crawling through some ducts.
For some reason I've always tranquilized every one in the guard room/recreational area to get the door-codes from the closet there.

AxiomaticBadger
16th Jun 2011, 14:52
Does morpheus count?

JCpies
16th Jun 2011, 15:39
I lured Everrett into DeBeers' room, but alas no conversation. What a shame.

m G h m u o s
16th Jun 2011, 18:00
lol I just remembered when I spent ages trying to find out how to access what I thought was a secret area in Maggie Chows apartment. In the main room (where shes standing, looking out the window) in the corner near the stairs there is a large gold statue in a glass cabinet. Now I noticed there was a tiny gap in the floor around the cabinet and I assumed it was a secret area underneath and I spent ages trying to find out how to the heck I could get under there (clicking everything from the floor to chairs and paintings). Then after giving up and exploring the security-area 'behind' her apartment I noticed there was a door with security lasers that wouldn't open and I notice an identicle gap in the floor. Took me another 20 minutes to realise that the cabinet must descend into a space in the floor when the security alarm is activated or something lol

Not really a great find, but a great fail

JCpies
16th Jun 2011, 18:03
lol, or you could've gone through the easy way by pulling the lantern. Rofl.

Ashpolt
16th Jun 2011, 19:03

After ten years, I never knew this was there. Wow. DEUS EX, HOW DO YOU KEEP SURPRISING ME?

This is, sadly, one thing that is unquestionably destroyed by highlighting. That said, I'm sure the EM defence force will still jump in to tell us otherwise. :rasp:

Reven
16th Jun 2011, 19:10
It wasn't until i replayed the game a few years ago that i found the hidden repair bot on the Chinese junk the divers were using, and it took me at least 4 playthroughs to find Jocks apartment by going over the roofs.

m G h m u o s
16th Jun 2011, 19:24
I'm sure I checked all the laterns in the living room, was there one on the security side of the door that I managed to miss?

Nolerhn
16th Jun 2011, 22:03
This may seem off-topic, but I have question regarding something in area-51. I am right at the end of the game (my first playthrough) I just need to decide which ending I want. There was something in the final bunker (the bunker with Page in it) that puzzles me. Soon after entering the 4th bunker there are some stasis tubes on both sides of the room. One of them has JC Denton's name on it, but it is empty. I'm confused because the stasis tube had 1933 (or 1932 can't remember exactly) as the date of birth on the test subject, but JC wasn't born until much later.

Was this person just the 'basis' for JC's genetics? I didn't find any other information to help me come to a conslusion about those stasis tubes. I know this really is off-topic, but the question seemed to fit best in this thread.

DisaFear
17th Jun 2011, 11:35
Wow
I'm on like my 15th playthrough and theres 2-3 things that I've missed!

I've heard about this dead guy in canal thing ingame, but never found it. Help!
Hidden engine room on the ship? :O
Mmmmm, time to play this thing again lol

xaduha
17th Jun 2011, 11:56
One of them has JC Denton's name on it, but it is empty. I'm confused because the stasis tube had 1933 (or 1932 can't remember exactly) as the date of birth on the test subject, but JC wasn't born until much later.

http://nuwen.net/dx.html

<COMMENT>Cloning lab</COMMENT>

SUBJECT MJID-5673OP2809
INCEPT DATE: 2/25/54
ASSIGNED BIRTH DATE: 2/25/34
ASSIGNED BIRTH NAME: Wade Walker
BASE GENETIC SAMPLE: SIMONSWALTON32A
PROFILE: AABCAAB
VITALS: 45/80/0.89/33/1.2

[[[[[STASIS]]]]]

SUBJECT MJID-8392ER9203
INCEPT DATE: 5/13/52
ASSIGNED BIRTH DATE: 5/13/33
ASSIGNED BIRTH NAME: Nick Pausback
BASE GENETIC SAMPLE: PAGEBOB86G
PROFILE: BAABACA
VITALS: 51/72/1.02/20/2.1

[[[[[STASIS]]]]]

SUBJECT MJID-0003JC0189
INCEPT DATE: 3/17/54
ASSIGNED BIRTH DATE: 3/17/29
ASSIGNED BIRTH NAME: <PLAYERNAME>
BASE GENETIC SAMPLE: XXXXXXXXXXX7V
PROFILE: AAAAAAB
VITALS: 50/75/0.98/25/1.4

[[[[[EXPUNGED]]]]]

SUBJECT MJID-0056RQ9872
INCEPT DATE: 11/20/55
ASSIGNED BIRTH DATE: 11/20/33
ASSIGNED BIRTH NAME: Alex Denton
BASE GENETIC SAMPLE: XXXXXXXXXXX7V
PROFILE: AAAAAAA
VITALS: 61/72/0.96/31/1.2

These are some of the most important datacubes in DX. They absolutely confirm that JC Denton was engineered and not born; he is at least one year old, but probably not more than three. This also gives a lower bound on the date that DX takes place: on or after November 20, 2055 (note that they have reverted to two-digit years - bad!). Alex Denton's genome will be used in DX2 to create the main character.

Senka
17th Jun 2011, 12:09
Why is it that JC says "Paul and I suspected as much while we were growing up" etc if he's only three years old? Plus they would *know* that fact? Unless it's "oh lol false memories" -.-

xaduha
17th Jun 2011, 12:31
Nevermind, I'm sure HR will tell us its own version of it all.

El Zoido
17th Jun 2011, 13:55
It seems to me this Area 51 datacube is conflicting with to many other in-game informations to be considered much more than an overlooked inconsistency on part of the devs.

It would mean that the whole backstory of JC and Paul are something like implanted memories (unnecessarily complicated implanted memories, considering the story Paul tells of their real and their foster-parents) and that all the other dates we get in the game, hinting to it taking place in 2052 would have to be false, too.

Mindmute
17th Jun 2011, 14:35
Incept
1. To take in or ingest
2. To begin

Using the definition of "to take in", as in when this clone was augmented, makes a lot more sense than the date being the year when the clone was supposed to be born. Looking at the dates, it'd fit what we know about the DX canon perfectly that way wouldn't it?

Tverdyj
17th Jun 2011, 14:40
Wow
I'm on like my 15th playthrough and theres 2-3 things that I've missed!

I've heard about this dead guy in canal thing ingame, but never found it. Help!
Hidden engine room on the ship? :O
Mmmmm, time to play this thing again lol

to get to the Canal Road:

go to the Old China Hand Bar (the one in the canals.

go to the freezer room (in the back)

jump up the slippery crates.

open the vent.

follow it.

make sure to bring re-breathers, or have aqualung aug.

oh, and bring tranq darts.

El Zoido
17th Jun 2011, 14:43
Looking at the dates, it'd fit what we know about the DX canon perfectly that way wouldn't it?

With the minor problem that DX should take place in 2052, so the data cube is showing dates from the future. ;)

ayjazz
17th Jun 2011, 15:34
I think the birthdate of JC is something that is still not completely known. The datacubes next to the tanks suggest he is only a few years old, but if you read the emails in a computer in the labs, they talk about JC while he was at school years ago, suggesting that he grow up like any other human (just that he was cloned).

Spyhopping
17th Jun 2011, 15:38
Damn! This is a good thread, and I'd ignored it by assuming it was about the leak. Stupid really, leak dedicated threads aren't allowed here.

My favourite sneaky areas off the top of my head... one has to be the flooded car tunnel cave in with the transgenic eggs, and the note about the situation. I found that in 2010 I think, or similarly recently, and it gave me a real weird thrill. I was sure I'd seen everything in the game and there it was, a whole new place with a new document to read. Fantastic. Also, not hidden as such, but I found it great all the same- Jocks apartment looking over to Maggie.

xaduha
17th Jun 2011, 15:50
I think the birthdate of JC is something that is still not completely known. The datacubes next to the tanks suggest he is only a few years old, but if you read the emails in a computer in the labs, they talk about JC while he was at school years ago, suggesting that he grow up like any other human (just that he was cloned).

The Nameless Mod explores this subject, in Fan Fic Shop (http://thenamelessmod.com/wiki/Fan_Fic_Shop) I think...

Dorgles
17th Jun 2011, 16:10
not sure if it constitutes a "secret" but it wasnt until my second playthrough that I learned you could actually go into most of the buildings in the champs-elysees part of paris. It was also neat finding out that, in Vandenberg, there are enough LAWs in the alley behind the building to blow up all 4 security bots. I found the MJ12 base under hells kitchen, but it was on the 3rd visit so the whole place was blown up.

JCpies
17th Jun 2011, 16:28
1. How do you get into the MJ12 base when it's functioning, without cheats? (If possible)
2. What destroys the base?

fatedemo22
17th Jun 2011, 16:34
the ship with the extra energy boost and ammo weps

Reven
17th Jun 2011, 16:45
1. How do you get into the MJ12 base when it's functioning, without cheats? (If possible)
2. What destroys the base?

Smuggler gives you the key if you find him when you first get to hells kitchen, as for it blowing up i have no idea as i thought the sewers where locked on a return visit to new york.

JCpies
17th Jun 2011, 17:13
Smuggler gives you the key if you find him when you first get to hells kitchen, as for it blowing up i have no idea as i thought the sewers where locked on a return visit to new york.

Woah seriously. I had no idea you could get in there before, and that smuggler gave you the key wow.

After so many play throughs, there are still surprises.

Tverdyj
17th Jun 2011, 17:32
talk to Smuggler, he'll give you the sewer key, if you agree to look for Ford Schick.

on my most recent playthrough, i've actually decided to manually figure out the key code to the MJ12 armory there, once you save Schick, since it was only a 3 digit code.

the number was 007. I stopped and went, "wow, that's awesome"

Freeden
17th Jun 2011, 17:34

Yeah, once you get the password to go see Smuggler, he'll ask you to save his friend and give you a key to get to MJ12's secret base. I didn't get in there until like my 7th or so play through. It's funny, cause there are so many story clues in the base and I can only imagine what I would have thought had I gone through there on my first playthrough.

And you CAN return to the base later on, but it's empty. From what I remember, you can't proceed past a certain point in the tunnel leading to the actual base because of a cave in.

As for my favorite secret room.....hmmm......the canal is nice, but I'm not terribly fond of that area in general. I like the secret room in the training section. I thought that was pretty funny. Getting into Jock's apartment is also pretty cool and provides some insight into background story elements. Lucious DeBeers is a good find. Probably one of my most favorite is finding Morpheus. I don't know how secret it is, but I love the conversation with it. It really brings home to point the ideas behind the entire conspiracy.

Can't wait to see a lot of the things that were mentioned in DX, in HR. I'm hoping to gain some further clarity into DX and see certain things first hand.

Tverdyj
17th Jun 2011, 17:44
fun fact: although the base is abandoned, each consecutive time you visit Hell's Kitchen , if you brave the toxic pools, there are fresh crates down there with stuff.

Pinky_Powers
17th Jun 2011, 19:08
Does morpheus count?

This was where my mind went immediately. I can't believe yours was the first post to bring him up. Yes, he is indeed a secret, in a secret location. You can miss him completely if you're not an explorer. He's by far my favorite hidden piece of the game.

Another one from that level, finding the dead engineer on the helipad, and uncovering the assassin in disguise. Otherwise... "A BOMB!" :D

But really, it's the hidden conversations you can have or overhear that are most precious in my discoveries. Brilliant stuff!

Dorgles
17th Jun 2011, 21:04
Morgan Everetts Fishtank.

JCpies
17th Jun 2011, 21:08
Morgan Everetts Fishtank.

This.

deusfox
17th Jun 2011, 21:27
^ Something I only found on my last playthrough a few months ago.

On Liberty Island, I've used a lockpick to gain access, but is there any other way to get into the underwater boat's hatch? I love hoarding lockpicks and multitools and not using them if I can find another way to break in.

Blackbird SR-71C
17th Jun 2011, 21:37
This.

Fishtank secret? Someone please enlighten me!

Ashpolt
17th Jun 2011, 22:14
On Liberty Island, I've used a lockpick to gain access, but is there any other way to get into the underwater boat's hatch? I love hoarding lockpicks and multitools and not using them if I can find another way to break in.

Throw an explosive crate into the water just above the hatch, and when you shoot it it'll blow up the hatch too. I don't think I've ever used lockpicks to get in there!

Morpheus is my favourite secret....that I've found so far. But considering I didn't know that you could go back to the MJ12 base under Hell's Kitchen after the first time, or about the lanterns in Maggie Chow's apartment, I suspect there's still a lot left for me to discover!

Oh, and FWIW, I hate canal road! Damn karkians.....I'd never go down there if there wasn't an aug upgrade canister.

TrickyVein
17th Jun 2011, 22:58
There isn't another point in the game when you feel so helpless as when being attacked by Karkians underwater, running out of oxygen, and with no tranquilizer darts and only a few LAMs.

Jock's apartment is the best kept secret in all of Hong Kong. Maybe not a secret, but definitely off the beaten path.

The fish tank secret:

as I recall, there is a vent on the wall opposite of where Everett stands when you first meet him that you can open and crawl through.

deusfox
17th Jun 2011, 23:52
Throw an explosive crate into the water just above the hatch, and when you shoot it it'll blow up the hatch too. I don't think I've ever used lockpicks to get in there!

Ahh I see, on my last playthrough, refusing to use lock picks on it (anything which takes more then 1 I refuse to do and look for alternatives) I threw an explosives crate in the water, but when it didn't sink to the bottom I abandoned the plan. I don't usually blow a whole lot up on my playthrough's and forget just how big the explosive damage is in the game.

Talking of pathways, I'm currently at the airport, about to enter Lebedev's hanger, and this is my favourite way of dealing with the guardhouse right before the hanger.
First step is the obvious use-crate-to-reach-window.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/3190/2011061800006.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/2011061800006.jpg/)

Then rather then use the door inside, I take the little crate inside, place it on the locked box, and hope onto the bunk bed, then place the crate on the bed, allowing me to jump onto the beam up by the ceiling.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3677/2011061800007.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/189/2011061800007.jpg/)

http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/715/2011061800008.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/802/2011061800008.jpg/)

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/1/2011061800010.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/828/2011061800010.jpg/)

Its not even a hidden secret, its just another pathway you can take and use to approach the enemies in a different way, and its something I can't resist doing whenever I'm there, just because I can.
And ofcourse, the real secret is the hidden compartment on the ground level :cool:

DisaFear
18th Jun 2011, 02:56

OH, so it's that base. I was misreading Hells kitchen as Battery Park lol...what MJ12 base in battery park!

JackShandy
18th Jun 2011, 04:05
My favourite secret has to be jumping out of maggie chows apartment to smash through the glass and land in jock's apartment. It's just so bad-ass.

Boradam
24th Jun 2011, 04:02
I was so suprised when I accidently clicked a lantern inside Maggie Chows house only to find the thing I was about to leave her house to try and find...

Also the Sniper near a billboard at hong kong was pretty neat...

Tverdyj
24th Jun 2011, 04:55
new one on my Paris playthrough:

when you're talking to the cat lady, you can jump onto some cupboards, and from there get on a ceiling beam. if you follow it to an attic, there's a bunch of crates, including one with a SCRAMBLE GRENADE.

similar trick to find the gate key when emerging from DuClare sewers.

also, the dead bodies outside of Vandenberg. I've decided to snipe some MJ12 before going inside, and did a 360 walkabout of the roof. first time I've seen those in all my years of playing.

Rheinhold
24th Jun 2011, 08:58
Up till now, the only thing I cannot recall that ahs been said here, is the secret room in the training area... Maybe I didn't classify it as secret, but maybe I just haven't found it yet...

There are other nice spots. On Liberty Island, in the statue, there is a low vent, on the left of the stairs in the main hall. You can crouch through it and find a data cube with login and password for the ATM in the main hall.

In Unatco, there are two doors near your and mandaleys office. The left door has a crate in it, but the first time you visit, the little brown square on eye-height can be lockpicked for ... I thought it was a energy cell?

When in New York, the nicest thing was to open the painting in Pauls appartment. 4321, as simple as that. Though it is not secret at all...

In the battery park fort, there is this soda machine that doubles as a door. In the little water that can be found beind it, there is a box of 10mm in the water.

Smuggler's mirror can be accessed by a keypad behind is bed. The code was 432 or 234... can't recall.

When trying to send the distress signal to Paris, you can also take an escape route through the basement. it will end up with a door in the wall, just outside the building. You can find neat info there. (found it on one of my final playthroughs).

In the LaGuardia Helipad, there is this 'secret' room that can be accessed by hacking a security terminal. It will say 'Open door' and a bookshelve in the room with the billiard tables wil hinge open, revealing 3 crates.
Also nice: on the outside of LaGuardia,there are tons of containers. on top and inside some of those, you can find some upgrades and crates. They can be accessed easily by taking a ladder, I thought it was located near the corner at the little harbor.

There also is an access underwater there. Never used it, but it is accessible by a crate, hidden away in the hall with the helicopter in the helipad-part of Laguardia.

The Ocean lab does not have a whole lot of secrets. But I fond it neat to see 2 divers in the water, on the surface-part of the level :3

On the ocean-floor-part of the level, there were not many secrets I know off. One being a louzy secret: it is possible to swim through the door through which you came with your submarine, and enter a door a littleways to the left. It is in the bottom of a room that contains a medkit, and is locked. The door can be picked though.

In the bath with the karkians, you can also find an item or two, but I never deemed it worth to take the dive for.

Also, where you take the elevator to the UC, there is this pool of electrified water. In that pool lays a dead MIB, and he has something very sweet in his inventory: I remember it was an aug upgrade cannister. There is also a notepad on the bottom, directly under the dead MIB...

In the Vandenberg gas Station, I always loved the spaces between the roof and the ceiling. Made for some great sneaking. You can also get into the tank that is between the scrapyard and the gasstation. I don't know if that is too secret, but you cannot afford to overlook its treasures.

One of the dirty 'secrets' in the 'ton is the sound of a love-making couple, further down the corridor. It always made me laugh.

There is also a room on the first floor in the 'ton that holds a few junks. As I remember it, that room opens up after Mr. renton has left town.

I assume everyone knows about the location of the commander at the tunnels of the mole people? Just before you leave through the men's bathroom, there is this cave-in. On the lower left, a small hole is visible, and you can crouch into it. Disarm the LAM there, and you can walk away a medkit and some other goodies richer.

In the metro station just before the Mole people's tunnels, you know, with the drug dealer, the upper level is infested with a thug-gang. On one of the ends of the upepr level, you can find the leader. On the other end, some gates and a load of boxes. You can jump over the gates, and dig your way through the boxes. I recall there were a medkit and some buckshot ammo there, and one of the ticket booths holds a gas grenade.

Hong kong has loads of secrets, most of them have already been told though. I always liek to inteerupt the drug dealers that are making a deal, on the opposite side of the canal to the large vessel that holds the weapon upgrade merchant. In the dark alley where they are dealing, as I remember it, there was a single box with a medkit there.

The secret room in the old chinese vessel with the weapon upgrade merchant (woman), can be accessed by activiating the lampion situated to the right of the stair towards the helm. You can find good money in there, along with a repair bot. She will become angry if you open it, though, so I always buy all here things, then kill her at my conveniece, and then open the room.

I always liked to steal all the money from the shop in the mall of the lucky money club. In the LMclub, there is this employee who works there. The maddest drunkenness in DX I ever had, I had drinking all the alcoholic drinks that are stored there.

In Tong's compound, at the beds, there is one pillow that lays too high. There is a book underneath it with info.

Also, on the left of the gate of his compound, there is a little in-house temple, where a LPmember offers some credits to the buddha statue. You can just pick up the credit chit without raising any alarm.

If you reach versalife level 2, there is this overhead walkway across the labs, ending ina door. It opens using 55655, just like the door in the tunnel, however, the door in the tunnel will not open until you are far enough in the quest, but this door in lvl2 will always open. If you get in before you are given the mission, you WILL miss out on info and stuff, and it WILL reveal some bugs, so it is not entirely handy to do so.

In the missile silo level, just outside the compound, there is a wooden house with some MJ12 folks in it. There is a column in the middle of the first floor, with three digits: 666, I thought it was. A staircase will come down, and you can find some real nice deals in the attic (also a LAW, mind you).

In the compound, there is a hard-to-reach building with a repairbot in it, but it is doable to erach it through its roof.

Also, just prior to the ambush in the long hallway, there is a hatch in the floor so you can crouch underneath the lasers. You are pointed on this by the scientist who locked himself in the restroom (I suppose you all also know about the fellow?). Always sad; the rocket will only leave if YOu leave with Jock. So you are told vigorously to make haste, but you can crouch if you like to make it to the exit alive.

I also like the second entrance to the bunker of Bob Page: the big air vent in the ruined hall. He will even encourage you: "Yes, you can make it! Jump!".

In Paris, there are some more secrets. I suppose I say nothing new when mentioning the merchant in the metro station who wants you to take out the MJ12 nest there, for a nice discount.

Or the 'ladder' to the roof of the library of the chapel... or the secret door to the fountain of youth (the hall with ambrosia barrels that has a catwalk around it, there is a door that preety much loo like the rest of the wall, which will lead to a little room between 3 doors, that all lead to places you can commonly vist, so it's nothing special.), or the low vents in the start of the cattacombs that unable you to flank the MJ12 commando and guards patrolling there, or the back entrance to the catacombs (boarded up window), or the waterpassage from teh bridge up to behind the cathedral, or the waterpassage from in front of the MJ12 bunker in the catacombs, up to between some boxes at the other end near a WIB, or sniping with the GEP gun of the big bots that patrol around the catacomb-entrance, from the roof where you are dropped, or the painting on the wall behind the bars of the club at the champs-elysées, or the goodies laying around on top of the gold in the cathedral... I dont want to say things all you guys already know, you know. :whistle:

In the hidden MJ12 base, near the cage with the karkians, there are the stair passages witht he controls for the cage (it is near the medical center). The air vents there hold some escaped greasels, and some items (thermoptic campo, I seem to recall).

Oh, I nearly forgot about the basement of the police station (code can be given by Maggie Chow, but you will never be able to share your findings with her...), and the little supply across the path of it. You can't miss it when leaving the helibase. It has a door leading to a room, inwhich there is a small door that can be picked, hidden behind a panel, which leads to the second, much better filled room that can be seen if you stand between the police station and the little supply-building...

In VersaLife, there are multiple floors of computers. It can be nice to check them out as well... But dont get into the airvent that can be found on the top floor computer park in the back: you'll drop all the way to the ground floor in it, no ladder that I know off...

But I utterly enjoyed (in every playthrough) the airvents in the helipad in HongKong. They can bring you everywhere in the level. You can even sabotage the bots that are to be released when you trip the alarm when making your escape from there. The best part though, is attacking the barracks from the airvents. Popping up from one airvent, you kill 1 MJ12 guy, then while you are moving to the next vent exit, they are looking for you near the otehr vent, so you can easily pcik another shot. And the extra goodies in the ammo bay - but that's hardly a secret, right?

I tried not to mention any of the previously mentioned secrets... I hope I scucceeded?

m G h m u o s
25th Jun 2011, 13:08
Heres a strange secret I found. When you're captured by Gunther and in the Unknown Area (someone whos just got to this level might be reading this, you never know) if you go to the lab section with all the GREASELS (thank you Senka :P) where that MIB is at a desk, there is a vent in the back wall. If you go through the vent there is a ladder going down to an area with one green creature thing with two crates.

Now to the left is a hole in the wall, but it leads.. nowhere. You can crawl in it and it clearly looks like a path somewhere. Theres some pipes going in it and when I looked closely at the end of the wall it really looks like a part of the wall should blow open (with a tiny little texture glitch at the edge). I've thrown LAMS in there, shot rockets and everything, but nothing happens? Has anyone else come across this or am I missing something lol

Its not even a hidden secret, its just another pathway you can take and use to approach the enemies in a different way, and its something I can't resist doing whenever I'm there, just because I can.
And ofcourse, the real secret is the hidden compartment on the ground level
Dude when I tried I had to put the crate on top of the bunk bed and it was glitching out like CRAZY and I was just thinking "...Yeah I probably wasn't meant to do this."

This actually reminds me of when I got on top of the wooden ledge-bannister-things that span across the ceiling in of Smugglers quarters (the room with the bed and mirror). There was only like two crates and a chair in the whole area and I had them precariously balanced and glitching out on top of each other. I had to fit them onto tiny gaps on the edges of two stacked giant metal boxes and in the end it turned out nothing was up there. I even ended up doing it all again just to double check after I came across a vent up there in the multiplayer version of the map.

Senka
25th Jun 2011, 13:13
Greasels. And I haven't found that before I don't think.

Rheinhold
25th Jun 2011, 13:35
Well, I reported the area with the greasels in my full-length article above, but I thought it was reachable through the vents near the karkian cage. Ah well... The room is very dark there, and I cannot recall getting into a small shaft with glitching textures at the end.

If you really liek to know what is behind there (why it glitches) you can try a console command to no-clip, and find it out...

JCpies
25th Jun 2011, 15:21
That's one big wall of text, you might want to put spaces between the lines.

Rheinhold
25th Jun 2011, 21:54
That's one big wall of text, you might want to put spaces between the lines.

Done.
Great improvement. It made me put my eyes back in ther sockets when I saw the wall of text explode due to the spaces... :D

Viacom
1st Jul 2011, 13:55
*Possible Spoiler Alert*

One secret (so secretive its most likely a easter egg) I haven't seen mentioned yet is when you climb I believe to the be the tallest building on the east side of Hong Kong (Near the gangs compound, opposite side at the very end facing the compound) using any bomb you can stick to the wall to keep jumping up higher and higher like your rock climbing, at the top you will find the gang leader.

I apologize as I can't remember all the names but this secret stuck out to me.

JCpies
1st Jul 2011, 14:40
Or you could fly up there with the fly cheat, much quicker.

itsalladream
1st Jul 2011, 16:38
Did anyone mention in the heli-pad. There's a phone that rings and you can answer it. I don't recall if the phone is related to it, but there's a hidden room that is full of goodies. (On the other side of the heli-pad from the bookcase that opens.)