PDA

View Full Version : Epic shows off Cyberpunk tech demo

IOS
8th Mar 2011, 21:24
http://venturebeat.com/2011/03/08/epic-games-shows-jaw-dropping-graphics-for-next-generation-consoles-video/

Direct link to video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOxnqNMwpW4&hd=1

Apparently this can run on hardware available in stores now.

Cool to see some cyberpunk stuff, and the main character looks like an older Jensen.

ZakKa89
8th Mar 2011, 21:42
Yeah I've posted this a few days ago. Not sure if it can be called cyberpunk yet but it defintely has that atmosphere. And it can run on pc hardware which is in stores now, but the goal was to show what next-gen consoles could be capables off (and what today's PC's are capable off)

Dead-Eye
9th Mar 2011, 00:38
Everyone's getting into cyberpunk.

Next gen consoles are going to be a beast if they need 3xGTX580s to run this demo, not to mention the power needed... each card needs 250 (290?) watts, so 750-890watts just for the graphics? Nevermind the porssessor, ram, drives, etc.

I think we are talking about 1300 watt systems or at lest 1000... whens moor's law going to brake down? Do consumers really want something that eats more then 1000watts of electricity just to see Adam Jensen's sweat? How much will it cost? Playstation proved that $600 systems are still bad ideas. I think you might be able to get away with $400 for an starting price...

So I guess we can expect next gen consoles in, what?, 2016.

Also, is there a better version of this demo, one that's screen captured? Because this capturing on a video camera stuff, is possibly the worst way to show off a graphics demo.

mahmoudd
9th Mar 2011, 01:49
by 2016 the cards will obviously have evolved and there will be only one card in the consoles

Ashpolt
9th Mar 2011, 03:08
Wow. Just wow. That looks amazing. Hopefully they'll make a brilliant game out of that, though Epic's track record lately has been less than stellar IMO. Also CliffyB is a douche.

jkruse
9th Mar 2011, 04:30
Here's the trailer for the game, it's called Samaritan. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-trailer-samaritan/711467 kindof has a cyberpunk vibe, but it seems to be a super anti-hero thing.

mentalkase
9th Mar 2011, 04:38
I like the style of the visuals but as far as being 'next gen' I don't see anything impressive about it. It's hardly the leap that there was from the Xbox to the Xbox360. It basically looks like the UT3 engine with a few more bells and whistles to me.

rokstrombo
9th Mar 2011, 04:49
Amazing graphics, but the game doesn't seem that interesting to me. Police beating an old woman? Outside a limb store? Why that sounds like just the spot to relish in slow-motion, morally-justified violence and also reflects a near-future dystopia because limbs are for sale and what better way to demonstrate a near-future dystopia than limbs for sale. As certain forum posters would put it, derp!

IOOI
9th Mar 2011, 04:52
It's not a game. Don't worry.

Jerion
9th Mar 2011, 05:10
Amazing graphics, but the game doesn't seem that interesting to me. Police beating an old woman? Outside a limb store? Why that sounds like just the spot to relish in slow-motion, morally-justified violence and also reflects a near-future dystopia because limbs are for sale and what better way to demonstrate a near-future dystopia than limbs for sale. As certain forum posters would put it, derp!

It's uh, not a game. It's a tech demo. Big difference. :)

Dead-Eye
9th Mar 2011, 05:56
by 2016 the cards will obviously have evolved and there will be only one card in the consoles
That was, kinda my point.

Here's the trailer for the game, it's called Samaritan. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-trailer-samaritan/711467
Hmmm... kinda looks like they replicated this:
ID2BEXJ4IKc

I don't think consoles are going to get an upgrade anytime soon. Not until real time ray-tracing becomes a reality.

BigBoss
9th Mar 2011, 08:31
It's uh, not a game. It's a tech demo. Big difference. :)

I think it has been confirmed that it is

Jerion
9th Mar 2011, 08:48
I think it has been confirmed that it is

Show me the quote and I'll believe it. The video goes out of it's way to brand itself as Unreal tech.

ZakKa89
9th Mar 2011, 09:27
on gametrailers.com it says "Get a sneak peek at Epic Games' new title in this trailer from GDC 2011!"

But I think that's false. Source please, Bigboss?

mahmoudd
9th Mar 2011, 10:43
looks like it would be an awesome game anyway

unfortunately they'll never make another unreal tournament and they will keep blaming the PC gamers of pirating their games when they dont sell because they're not that good

ranmafan
9th Mar 2011, 10:47
Everyone's getting into cyberpunk.

Next gen consoles are going to be a beast if they need 3xGTX580s to run this demo, not to mention the power needed... each card needs 250 (290?) watts, so 750-890watts just for the graphics? Nevermind the porssessor, ram, drives, etc.

I think we are talking about 1300 watt systems or at lest 1000... whens moor's law going to brake down? Do consumers really want something that eats more then 1000watts of electricity just to see Adam Jensen's sweat? How much will it cost? Playstation proved that $600 systems are still bad ideas. I think you might be able to get away with $400 for an starting price...

So I guess we can expect next gen consoles in, what?, 2016.

Also, is there a better version of this demo, one that's screen captured? Because this capturing on a video camera stuff, is possibly the worst way to show off a graphics demo.

Actually, so long as precise calculations are not required, you can improve a processor's actual speed by close to 100,000 times. There's nothing to say you couldn't do the same with a GPU.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/11_06/b4214040532062.htm

Here's a quick excerpt, but I read the full article in another newspaper sometime ago.

II J0SePh X II
9th Mar 2011, 11:38
This, and BF3's frostbite engine I believe, have been the spur for Microsoft to begin work in earnest on the next generation console.

The Xbox Console Architecture team is hiring for a Graphics hardware architect position.

The team is responsible for defining and delivering next generation console architectures from conception through implementation.

The responsibilities include architecture analysis, key technology selection, architecture specification, communication and collaboration with extended Microsoft teams and partner companies. The ideal candidate should have a broad background in 3D graphics rendering architectures and algorithms (ideally with gaming applications in mind), 3D software pipelines, and physics. The candidate should also have a solid understanding of graphics hardware implementation, including design methodologies and production yield and cost analysis. The successful candidate is expected to have a working knowledge of how state-of-the-art PC and/or console OS, driver and application code is designed and how it interacts with graphics HW/firmware. The ideal candidate will have been the lead architect and/or implementation lead of a 3D graphics core. The candidate must have taken designs from investigation to end-customer shipment during their career.

Great communication and cross-group/company collaboration skills are a must. BS in computer technology related field required. 10+ years industry experience preferred.

http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob=&jobId=1285469

Also CliffyB is a douche.

This. As a regular N4G visitor, I'm pretty much sick of the guy. Oh, and his games are poop.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
9th Mar 2011, 12:40
People have millions of pounds and put their careers on the line to make games, and that SS2 trailer, I can't believe it, they couldn't design their own vehicles, just ripped Bladerunner...

Ganjadk
9th Mar 2011, 13:57
they used 3 gtx 580 to show this... O.o wonder how bad it looks with only 1 580 or 570:mad2:

Whompa
9th Mar 2011, 14:21
the designs look a little unbelievable to be well...believable...why would the police have a mech with knife blades for teeth?

I love Epic's graphical capabilities but they look like they develop games for 13 year olds. :-|

I just wish there was more sophistication.

ZakKa89
9th Mar 2011, 14:52
why would the police have a mech with knife blades for teeth?

To bite your face off

pha
9th Mar 2011, 16:04
A pity we will have to wait for Haxbox 720 to see these in a game.

Dead-Eye
9th Mar 2011, 17:32
I watched the trailer 3 times now and the only thing that really stands out as an improvement over current generation consoles is the amount of particles in play. Other then that, this tech demo isn't a huge leap in improvement over current generation hardware, and with all the extra power needed, it feels like a waste.

You get something that looks slightly closer to a movie with 15 times the hardware requirements. On top of that it's looking like developers are going to need to keep developing for current hardware, because with the state of video game graphics as it is, I think a lot of people don't see the point in upgrading.

Video game graphics sort of disappear in the back of the mind after about 15 minutes, at lest until you get to something that the developer really wants you to notice. But even then the quality of the art direction is always determined by production budget, with graphics being just a bottle neck the developer must work within. Just look at Half-Life 2, that game has some really good looking graphics, on hardware that is now 6-7 years old.

"What I'm telling you girl":

I really don't see how this is much of an improvement over Gears of War. It looks just like Gears of War, except with a slightly clearer picture and more partials. All of that stuff is going to become unnoticeable after 15 mintues anyways, and I doubt the average consumer would really notice if you switched this tech with current tech half way throw the game.

No! Graphics are not the future of video gaming anymore, we have more or less reached a singularity in that department.

What consoles of the future are going to need is real time ray-tracing and more power for partial engines and physics engines. That's where the future of consoles is, and if next gen consoles don't have that stuff, I'm skipping.

I mean, let me ask you people, which do you think is more impressive, this tech demo or the L.A. Noira Trailer:
5LfZq_OdU80

IMO, sure L.A Noira's graphics look worse but I'm still more impressed with how realistic the actors are over the graphics in the above tech demo.

ZakKa89
9th Mar 2011, 17:38
lai noire has nothing on this tech demo... Sorry. The facial animation is great, that's it.

Also, it looks leaps better than gears of war.

Instead of just watching the video I recommend you to check out the high res screenshots which showcase it's features.

mentalkase
9th Mar 2011, 18:29
No! Graphics are not the future of video gaming anymore, we have more or less reached a singularity in that department.

I completely agree with this. With each successive generation of 3d consoles the graphical leaps have gotten less and less substantial. Even animation hasn't progressed that far since HL2. People are always going to want to go ga-ga over the latest thing, but the differences from the beginning of this generation to its end have been fairly tiny, and if that represents 'next-gen' then I think it's time we stopped even bothering to discuss graphics. If you need to look at hi-res screenshots to see noticable differences than the differences are fairly negligible. I don't see graphics reaching a singularity as being a bad thing, it means that developers can stop pushing that aspect of game production and concentrate on the aspects that actually make games fun to play. Of course there'll always be technological advances, and things like draw distance, particle effects and texture fidelity can still be improved, it's just at this point those differences really aren't all that noticable to most people.

AlexOfSpades
9th Mar 2011, 22:18
Its a graphical demonstration.

Since then, i watched the video only caring about the graphics. (Which is the point of the video)

And i must say its amazing.

Funny how Unreal Engine sells better than Unreal itself

Arksun
10th Mar 2011, 04:35
An amazing step forward in realtime rendering and realism. Anyone that can't really tell that much of a difference to current games needs their eyes tested imho.

maddermadcat
10th Mar 2011, 09:57
I like the style of the visuals but as far as being 'next gen' I don't see anything impressive about it. It's hardly the leap that there was from the Xbox to the Xbox360. It basically looks like the UT3 engine with a few more bells and whistles to me.

It is just UE3 with a few more bells and whistles. That said, I'm very happy to have all of those bells and whistles in UDK. :D

Vasarto
10th Mar 2011, 21:53
AH yes! It is only a matter of time before graphics become so real they will have the ability to reach out of your television or computer screen and either kill or have sex with ya.

You all know its coming. Its only a matter of time before graphic A.I game characters become self aware and start interacting with us on a physical human level. In about fifty years or so when your playing that game on your console, Your gonna be playing Deus Ex 19 and the during the game the main character will see the player as a threat, and Shoot a bullet through the screen at your head.

Blackbird SR-71C
10th Mar 2011, 23:48

I kind of agree. On the one hand, it looks really bad when he lights his cigarette with the welding torch, the end of the cigarette is just "noclipping" into the flame. On the other hand the gore from the headshot exit wound looked more realistic then anything I've seen so far (in terms of gore, that is).

TrickyVein
11th Mar 2011, 00:01
Any engine is only as good as the art and design that people put into it.

This tech demo is a case in point, I think.

Why does FO3 look superior to FNV? They use the exact same engine. One was developed for a much longer time and looks better artistically. Bethesda employs competent level designers.

I've spent a great deal of time browsing level-design sites like Insite before it was shut down for games like Unreal Tournament/UT2k4. It always pained me to see a poorly designed level; how not to take advantage of the game engine. The sheer misappropriation of computing power.

neilthecellist
11th Mar 2011, 01:42
The tech demo looks amazing. For Crysis gamers like me, I've been waiting for middleware-marketed engines like Unreal Engine to finally get with the program. Graphics and possibly more importantly ART DESIGN are key components of a good game. Even the latest Serious Sam has to look good, or the game designer's wife can't get her boob job ;)

Any engine is only as good as the art and design that people put into it.

It always pained me to see a poorly designed level; how not to take advantage of the game engine. The sheer misappropriation of computing power.

This.

TRON Evolution looked so bad, but Mirror's Edge looked so good. Both had over-abundance of certain colors (TRON: blue/black, ME: red/white) but Mirror's Edge shined over TRON Evolution in artistic direction and actual effort. Radiosity didn't look artificial. DICE knew how to artistically craft with the Unreal Engine, Propaganda Games didn't.

Dead-Eye
11th Mar 2011, 06:31
An amazing step forward in realtime rendering and realism. Anyone that can't really tell that much of a difference to current games needs their eyes tested imho.

It's not that I can't tell the difference, its just not that impressive to me.

neilthecellist
11th Mar 2011, 23:16
It's not that I can't tell the difference, its just not that impressive to me.
This.
By 2016, when we all look back on this video and realize how middle-ware it is relative to competitor engines, I'll agree with you.

Vasarto
12th Mar 2011, 01:48
As long as we do not loose sight of games like Okami. This is a really good push forward.

daklog
13th Mar 2011, 01:11
I hope this is the VERY LEAST that next gen consoles can push graphically. Watch this on youtube in 720p and tell me that the atmospheric lighting and effects aren't enough to suck you in. NO, graphics aren't the future, gameplay will always be first and foremost, but that isn't to say that graphics aren't important. The better the graphics, the better the atmosphere, the better the immersion, the more visceral the experience will be.

Long story short though, this video is a tech demo. It is not a game that will it ever be released, but it is undeniable that it is HEAVILY inspired by deus ex. While we may not get this type of immersion or graphics for years to come, human revolution will undoubtedly rival the sense of atmosphere shown in this trailer.

** ps* here is a link to the youtube video DIRECT CAPTURE - no shaky cam stuff. OP please update first post with link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXyztq_0uM

neilthecellist
13th Mar 2011, 02:48
Long story short though, this video is a tech demo. It is not a game that will it ever be released, but it is undeniable that it is HEAVILY inspired by deus ex. While we may not get this type of immersion or graphics for years to come, human revolution will undoubtedly rival the sense of atmosphere shown in this trailer.
THIS. You hit it on the dot, man.

Graphics are a part of the game experience. Even if we're talking about Wii-crap mario graphics, the graphics are nonetheless part of the game experience. I completely acknowledge how gameplay can be more important that graphics in a game (after all, it's a GAME we're talking about) but that doesn't mean developers should neglect graphics entirely.

The tech demo here in this thread is good.

** ps* here is a link to the youtube video DIRECT CAPTURE - no shaky cam stuff. OP please update first post with link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSXyztq_0uM
+1

Daedatheus
13th Mar 2011, 04:36
Graphics are a part of the game experience. Even if we're talking about Wii-crap mario graphics, the graphics are nonetheless part of the game experience.

Indeed. And considering the absurd amount of discussion on these forums regarding what "immersion" really requires, it's always worth noting that graphics CAN and DO add to/increase immersion in a game. If a game's purpose is to be a realistic experience, one can argue that immersion is greater with more realistic graphics in that game. Of course it's a case-by-case basis, depending on the experience the developer is looking to create - we've seen plenty of games that strive for a less realistic, dreamlike or cartoony experience, but still rendered with style and visual fidelity matching the most realistic-looking titles.

Case in point is that graphics DO matter, anyone arguing otherwise doesn't understand games (like film, the stimuli you receive and the input you give are based mostly on visuals). Graphics simply don't matter AS MUCH as gameplay (gameplay itself being a very difficult term to define and meaning radically different things depending on the context of its use).

IOOI
14th Mar 2011, 00:08
Dark, Gritty, Retro and sans orange filter. ;P :cool:

neilthecellist
14th Mar 2011, 13:49
Indeed. And considering the absurd amount of discussion on these forums regarding what "immersion" really requires, it's always worth noting that graphics CAN and DO add to/increase immersion in a game.

Case in point is that graphics DO matter, anyone arguing otherwise doesn't understand games (like film, the stimuli you receive and the input you give are based mostly on visuals).

FINALLY some intelligent posts. Sounds like someone took Film 101 in college ;)

Senka
15th Mar 2011, 06:47
They can, but in games they're a minimal factor. I only discovered dx in 2009 and didn't add any texture packs, in fact I played it at a crappy res too before I found a fix and was still immersed. Mainly continuity/believability of the world, realistic characters / settings, sound and visual design etc all bundle together.