PDA

View Full Version : PAX East - 11 March 2011: New gameplay & Q&As - Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

olle_bsson
5th Mar 2011, 00:17
So pax east beginning on friday next week. Apparently new gameplay footage will be shown followed by Q&A.

So anyone from the forum attending?

From the PAX East site (http://east.paxsite.com/schedule.php):

2027 - The Near-Future: Live Demo of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Dev Team Q&A
Main Theatre
Saturday, 2:30pm - 3:30pm

Want to see what world will look like in 2027? The truth will change you. Join core development team members of the highly anticipated action RPG, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, for a live demo of never before seen gameplay! Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the return to one of the most critically-acclaimed video game franchises of all time. The game tells the story of Adam Jensen, a man cybernetically augmented against his will, who finds himself in the middle of a global conspiracy to which he holds the key. By offering players the chance to advance through the game in multiple and vastly different ways, Deus Ex: Human Revolution challenges the foundations of gaming and provides an immersive experience where every choice has a lasting consequence. A Q&A session will follow the presentation.

*Moderator Edit*

UPDATE:

Some new info about the PAX showcase!

Square Enix has announced that Deus Ex: Human Revolution will be making an appearance at PAX East. If you are attending PAX this weekend and would like to attend the live demo the details are below:

DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION HITS PAX EAST WITH 20-MINUTE LIVE DEMO, EXCLUSIVE TEE-SHIRTS AND DEVELOPER Q&A

Main Theater Showing Saturday at 2:30 PM To Provide Fans With Exclusive LIVE Look At Latest In-Game Action

WHAT: Square Enix, Inc. and Eidos-Montreal have released details surrounding the presence of DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION at the Penny Arcade Expo East to be held this weekend in Boston, MA. Lucky PAX East attendees will have the opportunity to attend a showing of the game at 2:30 pm on Saturday in the Main Theater, where they will be treated to a 20-minute live demo, a Q&A with development team members, as well as the chance to grab a limited edition DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION tee-shirt.

WHEN: Saturday, March 12, 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM

WHERE: Main Theater, BCEC

EVENT DETAILS:

· LIVE DEMO: Eidos-Montreal will present approximately 20 minutes of unedited and continuous gameplay from DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION. The demo will showcase the game’s renowned “choice and consequence” gameplay, including both stealth infiltration and armed combat, as well as Adam Jensen’s futuristic augmentations and other upgrades. ** This will be the only opportunity to see DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION at PAX East.

· DEVELOPER Q&A: Immediately following the live gameplay, fans will have the opportunity to ask their own questions directly of the Eidos-Montreal development team. Community Manager Kyle Stallock will host a 20-minute fan Q&A session with Jean-Francois Dugas, Game Director, and Jonathan Jacques-Belletête, Art Director, from Eidos-Montreal.

· LIMITED EDITION TEE-SHIRTS: Square Enix and Eidos-Montreal will be giving away limited edition DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION tee shirts to the first 1,000 attendees in line for the theater showing. Last year’s PAX Prime tee shirts were the hottest items at the show, so fans who want to score exclusive DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION should come early!

Questions & Answers Session

During the recent Penny Arcade Expo 2011 in Boston, Massachusetts, members of the Eidos/Square Enix development team discussed elements of the upcoming Deus Ex: Human Revolution, due to be released on August 23 of this year. These two videos show the live Q&A session conducted by the developers, which may provide some insight into the development of this upcoming title.

Read more and watch the videos HERE (http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q1-2011/031511d.html)

Jerion
5th Mar 2011, 00:42
If somebody wanted to get me in (I didn't try for a pass early enough :( ) I'd love to go. It's in easy range for me too.

Ashpolt
5th Mar 2011, 00:51
So....any chance we might get a video of this gameplay released on the web afterwards? Or even a live stream of the session?

Reven
5th Mar 2011, 00:52
Or word on the PC version.

olle_bsson
5th Mar 2011, 00:54
So....any chance we might get a video of this gameplay released on the web afterwards? Or even a live stream of the session?

If they are announcing the release date I'm sure they'll release a trailer at least, hopefully a lot of gameplay.. But the whole presentation will surely leak to youtube anyway!

Reven
5th Mar 2011, 00:56
With or without a massive head in the way ?

Reven
5th Mar 2011, 01:14
just one question why does that link say "Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!" when clicked on ?

olle_bsson
5th Mar 2011, 01:29
just one question why does that link say "Sorry, that page doesn’t exist!" when clicked on ?

Must have accidentally got some letter in the link when i copy/pasted it.. Edited it now though and it should work just fine now!

Ashpolt
5th Mar 2011, 01:29

Remove the ): at the end and it works.

Reven
5th Mar 2011, 01:47
Remove the ): at the end and it works.

Well i got the link working but i must be tech blind since i cant see the release notice for looking.

olle_bsson
5th Mar 2011, 01:57
Well i got the link working but i must be tech blind since i cant see the release notice for looking.

You gotta be, cause it's the latest tweet he made, right in the top of his page:P

Or maybe you're just clicking the wrong link, the release date notice is in the twitter link, not the PAX link!

Reven
5th Mar 2011, 01:59
.@davidanfossi is reading a great book while producing bear sounds - the time 11pm http://yfrog.com/h21u0koj
about 15 hours ago via TweetDeck

thats what im getting from the top.

olle_bsson
5th Mar 2011, 02:07
.@davidanfossi is reading a great book while producing bear sounds - the time 11pm http://yfrog.com/h21u0koj
about 15 hours ago via TweetDeck

thats what im getting from the top.

Weird! Don't know if you'll have to be logged in or something to see it, very strange.. Either way to remove your doubts about me joking or something i even print srceened my screen:

http://img14.imageshack.us/f/twitteroc.jpg/

Reven
5th Mar 2011, 02:13
Could he have retracted it ? since there is nothing on any links i have . but then i dont use twitter so i have no idea why it isnt showing up.

Ashpolt
5th Mar 2011, 02:28
Still there for me.

IdiotInAJeep
5th Mar 2011, 12:15
http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/4793114/this-pleases-me.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=gordo-granudo

AlexOfSpades
5th Mar 2011, 12:50
Eww, dude, ew, oh lord

edit that picture, put it away, put it as a link, i dont know, AAA

Lady_Of_The_Vine
5th Mar 2011, 18:24
From the PAX East site (http://east.paxsite.com/schedule.php):

2027 - The Near-Future: Live Demo of Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Dev Team Q&A
Main Theatre
Saturday, 2:30pm - 3:30pm

Want to see what world will look like in 2027? The truth will change you. Join core development team members of the highly anticipated action RPG, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, for a live demo of never before seen gameplay! Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the return to one of the most critically-acclaimed video game franchises of all time. The game tells the story of Adam Jensen, a man cybernetically augmented against his will, who finds himself in the middle of a global conspiracy to which he holds the key. By offering players the chance to advance through the game in multiple and vastly different ways, Deus Ex: Human Revolution challenges the foundations of gaming and provides an immersive experience where every choice has a lasting consequence. A Q&A session will follow the presentation.

Thanks for the info and making this thread.

IdiotInAJeep
5th Mar 2011, 23:27
Eww, dude, ew, oh lord

edit that picture, put it away, put it as a link, i dont know, AAA

http://omgif.gosedesign.net/wp-content/deal-with-it.gif

Partydrank
6th Mar 2011, 00:00
LOL @ IdiotInAJeep

Definitively stoked on a release date after the weekend, i'm guessing may or june.

IdiotInAJeep
6th Mar 2011, 00:36
Hopefully May in time for my birthday.
http://www.demotivers.com/uploads/2011_01/31/7613_240_500_Cheapskates.jpg

TheYouthCounselor
6th Mar 2011, 08:16
Weird! Don't know if you'll have to be logged in or something to see it, very strange.. Either way to remove your doubts about me joking or something i even print srceened my screen:

http://img14.imageshack.us/f/twitteroc.jpg/

Was that supposed to be a homage to the following painting?

The Death of Marat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_Marat)

Don't die on us David! You have so much to live for, you haven't even given us the game yet!

olle_bsson
6th Mar 2011, 13:05
Thanks for the info and making this thread.

You're welcome:)

[FGS]Shadowrunner
6th Mar 2011, 13:14
I dont see any reference, other than Marat was a journalist.

towerimp
6th Mar 2011, 19:56
I'm Going! I thought they might come, and now glad to have comfermation!

ZakKa89
6th Mar 2011, 20:12
I'm Going! I thought they might come, and now glad to have comfermation!

better bring a camera ;)

olle_bsson
7th Mar 2011, 00:22
better bring a camera ;)

I hope you are really tall as well :P

rokstrombo
7th Mar 2011, 03:25
better bring a camera ;)

Your headgear seems to be emitting a buzzing noise, sir. Perhaps you have a bee in your bonnet?

ZakKa89
7th Mar 2011, 09:05
I hope you are really tall as well :P
I am pretty tall actually :o. However, I don't understand what that has to do with anything?:(

Senka
7th Mar 2011, 09:22
I think he meant the guy going to the place, so he can film over all the goobers and give us good footage.

ZakKa89
7th Mar 2011, 09:44
That makes sense!

olle_bsson
7th Mar 2011, 11:31
Exactly my point, just accidentally quoted the wrong post :P

olle_bsson
8th Mar 2011, 22:04
It would be nice if they showed the fans some love and live-streemed the entire event with a nice camera without heads in the way of the lens just as they did at GDC:P

Buuut i'll guess it's to much to ask!

IdiotInAJeep
9th Mar 2011, 07:04
The industry has grown up.

olle_bsson
9th Mar 2011, 12:57

Square Enix has announced that Deus Ex: Human Revolution will be making an appearance at PAX East. If you are attending PAX this weekend and would like to attend the live demo the details are below:

DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION HITS PAX EAST WITH 20-MINUTE LIVE DEMO, EXCLUSIVE TEE-SHIRTS AND DEVELOPER Q&A

Main Theater Showing Saturday at 2:30 PM To Provide Fans With Exclusive LIVE Look At Latest In-Game Action

WHAT: Square Enix, Inc. and Eidos-Montreal have released details surrounding the presence of DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION at the Penny Arcade Expo East to be held this weekend in Boston, MA. Lucky PAX East attendees will have the opportunity to attend a showing of the game at 2:30 pm on Saturday in the Main Theater, where they will be treated to a 20-minute live demo, a Q&A with development team members, as well as the chance to grab a limited edition DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION tee-shirt.

EVENT DETAILS:

· LIVE DEMO: Eidos-Montreal will present approximately 20 minutes of unedited and continuous gameplay from DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION. The demo will showcase the game’s renowned “choice and consequence” gameplay, including both stealth infiltration and armed combat, as well as Adam Jensen’s futuristic augmentations and other upgrades. ** This will be the only opportunity to see DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION at PAX East.

· DEVELOPER Q&A: Immediately following the live gameplay, fans will have the opportunity to ask their own questions directly of the Eidos-Montreal development team. Community Manager Kyle Stallock will host a 20-minute fan Q&A session with Jean-Francois Dugas, Game Director, and Jonathan Jacques-Belletête, Art Director, from Eidos-Montreal.

· LIMITED EDITION TEE-SHIRTS: Square Enix and Eidos-Montreal will be giving away limited edition DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION tee shirts to the first 1,000 attendees in line for the theater showing. Last year’s PAX Prime tee shirts were the hottest items at the show, so fans who want to score exclusive DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION should come early!

Irate_Iguana
9th Mar 2011, 14:24
LIVE DEMO: Eidos-Montreal will present approximately 20 minutes of unedited and continuous gameplay from DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION. The demo will showcase the game’s renowned “choice and consequence” gameplay, including both stealth infiltration and armed combat, as well as Adam Jensen’s futuristic augmentations and other upgrades. ** This will be the only opportunity to see DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION at PAX East.

This sounds like the Hive section or the Detroit section. My guess is on the Hive section as it is approximately that long.

Deltaslayer
9th Mar 2011, 14:45
Again??? I was hoping they would show the demo that the playtesters played.

olle_bsson
9th Mar 2011, 14:50
This sounds like the Hive section or the Detroit section. My guess is on the Hive section as it is approximately that long.

Well at least it was said that they were to show nwe gameplay: "a live demo of never before seen gameplay!"

Irate_Iguana
9th Mar 2011, 16:42
Well at least it was said that they were to show nwe gameplay: "a live demo of never before seen gameplay!"

Has the Hive demo been officially released?

olle_bsson
9th Mar 2011, 18:09
No not the whole demo i guess, but in the first gameplay trailer essentially all footage is from The Hive/Shanghai level so it can't possibly count as never before seen gameplay footage. Also even if the whole demo wasn't officially released to the public it still has been seen before.

I hope and think they are gonna show something new, just as they say they are!

wowlace
9th Mar 2011, 20:22
Probably not.

Tecman
9th Mar 2011, 20:48
Has the Hive demo been officially released?
By released you mean shown to the public? Yeah, plenty of times. From my memory, ignoring the original E3 closed-door showing: PAX 2010, Eurogamer Expo, Igromir and Paris.

Honestly, I'm thinking it'll be the Detroit demo.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
9th Mar 2011, 20:50

EVENT DETAILS:

Thanks for this, added to first post. :thumb:

Pldgmygrievance
9th Mar 2011, 21:20
That X Play preview with Jonathan Jacques-Belletête showed a good amount of gameplay.

I dont know if thats been discussed, but, there ya go.

Irate_Iguana
9th Mar 2011, 21:20
Honestly, I'm thinking it'll be the Detroit demo.

If they showed the Hive to the public at last years PAX then I'm changing my vote to Detroit as well.

Tecman
9th Mar 2011, 21:33
That X Play preview with Jonathan Jacques-Belletête showed a good amount of gameplay.

I dont know if thats been discussed, but, there ya go.

Thanks for making me double-check that video; the footage is nothing new, it's the standard February footage reel used in previews as well as some trailer stuff, but the interesting bit is actually at the end.

Adam actually has every single "augmentation" already built-in within his hardware. He just can't use them all right away; JJB compares it to a newborn baby, and needs to gain experience / learn things in order to advance. Unlocking a new "power" within an aug costs 2 Praxis points, improving a "power" (researching within an aug's tech tree) costs one, but we knew that already.

Blackbird SR-71C
9th Mar 2011, 21:41
Thanks for making me double-check that video; the footage is nothing new, it's the standard February footage reel used in previews as well as some trailer stuff, but the interesting bit is actually at the end.

Adam actually has every single "augmentation" already built-in within his hardware. He just can't use them all right away; JJB compares it to a newborn baby, and needs to gain experience / learn things in order to advance. Unlocking a new "power" within an aug costs 2 Praxis points, improving a "power" (researching within an aug's tech tree) costs one, but we knew that already.

Wait, what? I remember someone stating that you don't have all powers "built in" at the beginning, in fact going so far as to saying that some new augmentations change Adam's appearance. What happened to that?

Jerion
9th Mar 2011, 22:12
Wait, what? I remember someone stating that you don't have all powers "built in" at the beginning, in fact going so far as to saying that some new augmentations change Adam's appearance. What happened to that?

You start fully human. All talk about the nature of Adam's Augs only applies after the prologue/beginning, when he becomes Augmented.

olle_bsson
10th Mar 2011, 01:38
If they showed the Hive to the public at last years PAX then I'm changing my vote to Detroit as well.

Something new is absolutely out of the question? Why? They clearly states it's going to be new, the Detroit level has also been shown before.

Coyotegrey
10th Mar 2011, 02:51
Something new is absolutely out of the question? Why? They clearly states it's going to be new, the Detroit level has also been shown before.

New.

Deltaslayer
10th Mar 2011, 03:33
new.

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss!!!!!!!!!

ZakKa89
10th Mar 2011, 07:29
New.

I kiss the front of your hat, good sir :D (kissing your forehead wouldn't be possible)

Will this footage be released to us as well?

Shralla
10th Mar 2011, 08:54
It seems I have managed to secure a three-day pass for regular price from somebody who doesn't need one. Still attempting to get a hold of a second three-day pass for the other person I am attending with. If not, then the Deus Ex demo will be the only other thing I go to at PAX, but it will be totally worth the $20 extra, as far as I'm concerned. I'm pretty sure I should be able to get another pass though, given how short notice I got mine at (just started looking today).

I'll take notes.

Irate_Iguana
10th Mar 2011, 09:16
I'll take notes.

No, you'll take a video camera. Slap a sombrero and a mustache on it and call it Señor Cámara. Your long lost mute uncle from Mexico.

wowlace
10th Mar 2011, 09:49
No, you'll take a video camera. Slap a sombrero and a mustache on it and call it Señor Cámara. Your long lost mute uncle from Mexico.

lol

ZakKa89
10th Mar 2011, 09:53

:lol: THIS! We won't be satisfied with just some notes ;)

olle_bsson
10th Mar 2011, 10:35
Thanks for this, added to first post. :thumb:

No problem, ah nice work! :)

New.

YES! I knew it :) They must at least release a trailer containing the gameplay..

Pinky_Powers
10th Mar 2011, 14:28

It's a good cover-story. I mean, who among us doesn't have a relative like that? :D

Arksun
10th Mar 2011, 19:13
If anyone asks about the suspicious looking 1" round bit of glass in the front of your cap, just tell them you keep your pet mouse in there and thats his window to the world.

hiroprotagonist
11th Mar 2011, 12:39
^
I suggest you just tell them your vision is augmented...

vallux
11th Mar 2011, 13:59
^
I suggest you just tell them your vision is augmented...
I just love it when people use DX memes. I lol everytime.

Pinky_Powers
11th Mar 2011, 15:13
If anyone asks about the suspicious looking 1" round bit of glass in the front of your cap, just tell them you keep your pet mouse in there and thats his window to the world.

They'll never accept mice in your bonnet. They may show leniency if you explain it's your dear friend, a Hamster named Boo.

Arksun
11th Mar 2011, 20:34
Soooo.. whats the story, gossip time :D

ZakKa89
11th Mar 2011, 20:45
How much time untill the demo? :)

Arksun
11th Mar 2011, 20:52
I thought the demo was at 2:30pm eastern time wasn't it?. If thats the case its been done already. Or was it later?

*edit* lol nevermind, the topic said 11th march, but underneath it says Saturday, which is obviously tomorrow the 12th

Pretentious Old Man.
11th Mar 2011, 21:19
They'll never accept mice in your bonnet. They may show leniency if you explain it's your dear friend, a Hamster named Boo.

You are nearly as smart as Boo.
Sometimes.

puzl
12th Mar 2011, 16:06
Jonathan J-B
@Jonatchoo Jonathan J-B
No live streaming of the #PAX #DXHR gameplay demo, sorry folks. The Q&A session will be filmed and broadcasted later, on different outlets.

More roadblocks.

vallux
12th Mar 2011, 16:16
More roadblocks.

Not really. There are ways to get that footage. They just require Solid Snake levels of stealth.

Arksun
12th Mar 2011, 16:35
Anyone want to predict how long it'll take the first leaked video to hit youtube? :D

Irate_Iguana
12th Mar 2011, 16:54
More roadblocks.

Live streaming doesn't matter. He makes it sound like they aren't even planning on releasing that footage. All we'll get out of this is a rage-inducing Q&A session.

viletomato
12th Mar 2011, 18:28
Where is the LIVE stream for this!???!

OR will there be vods available afterwards?? Or is someone going to record this??

I need to watch this!!

NVM i just read a post above me hahah.

So the video afterward is JUST the QA?? someone needs to go in there and record the gameplay!!

nexusdx
12th Mar 2011, 18:42
I'll never understand the rules of modern marketing.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
12th Mar 2011, 18:50
There's only one rule - nobody remembers who came second.

I was getting excited there for a second, thought I'd see some gameplay...

Wunderbar_007
12th Mar 2011, 19:20
"Jonathan J-B
@Jonatchoo Jonathan J-B
No live streaming of the #PAX #DXHR gameplay demo, sorry folks. The Q&A session will be filmed and broadcasted later, on different outlets."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? :mad2:

MrFoxter
12th Mar 2011, 19:30
There are so many people sitting there that one camera will surely hide there.

IOS
12th Mar 2011, 19:49
If all that's getting filmed is the Q and A session, I'm going to rage.

EDIT: Anybody know of any sites live blogging?

Rainbow6Team
12th Mar 2011, 19:53
EM is so excited about showing the game off in PAX that they forgot to show the gameplay.

MrFoxter
12th Mar 2011, 19:57
Here live blog: http://shogungamer.com/news/deus-ex-human-revolution-live-blog-pax-east-2011

IOS
12th Mar 2011, 20:04
Thanks MrFoxter. It sounds like they're not releasing the footage to the public though, which is stupid.

Is this new by the way?

3:09 The game will have exclusive content on the PC and it will have directX 11 support.

MrFoxter
12th Mar 2011, 20:09
Second part:

Moved to next post

nexusdx
12th Mar 2011, 20:10
There are so many people sitting there that one camera will surely hide there.

there is no better advertising than video on shaky cam :thumbsup:

Rainbow6Team
12th Mar 2011, 20:11
Comments from CODelite:

It's too hard!
I don't wanna do stealth,I only do that on COD.
What the heck!?I got killed in two freaking shots??
What kind of shooter is this??It doesn't even let you stand in the open and down enemies!
I DON'T wanna use cover!
I'm going home and punch a hole in the wall like all other COD fanboys.

ArcR
12th Mar 2011, 20:13
Finally!!!!

i'd buy it for a dolla!
3:10
[comment from greyfox]
will there be a demo?
3:11
demo will be released on steam, psn, and xbl. No date announced.
3:11
[comment from kevin]
yay demo!

DeMo DEMO demO

IOS
12th Mar 2011, 20:14
Finally!!!!

DeMo DEMO demO

Probably warrants a new topic to discuss the demo.

EricaLeeV
12th Mar 2011, 20:17
Asked him a few questions as ELV.

C: Yes a demo.

Yet again, though, it leaves us pining for a release date. :( Here we go again.

Rainbow6Team
12th Mar 2011, 20:18
Demo?
Demo!
Demo.......

MrFoxter
12th Mar 2011, 20:21
Shogun Gamer Live Blog http://shogungamer.com/news/deus-ex-human-revolution-live-blog-pax-east-2011

Your reading what I'm watching here at PAX East. I would film but I'm not allowed too.
Were looking at the augmentation menu
He equipped the stealth augmentation, and computer hacking one.
They are playing the game in a stealthy way
Though you can play it as a shooter if you want

First mission is the protagonist infiltrating a pro-human body race
There are non-lethal take down.
Non-lethal takedowns make less noise than lethal ones.
AI will wake him up if he is knocked out. Thinking that there base is still safe and the soldier was just slacking off.
Looks like were going for a shooter assault now
Awwww I wanted him to shoot somebody but the guard he alerted just walked past him so he did a non-lethal takedown.
There now in the main room in the warehouse
He is now sniping from the rafters and the AI is not knowing what is going on.
Not in a dumb, bad AI way though. More like a scared Batman Begins kind of way.
and the Sniper rifle was using tranq darts
He is now using X-ray vision. Looks like someone is stealing from the warehouse.
Not an enemy just a civilian
Guards will always notice open doors. If they are on patrol.
Stealth killed with a lethal take down via sword from his arm and through the enemies back.
We are seeing our first mini-game
The Hacking game
Your goal is to get one ord to the other.
Gets more complicated with multiple orbs later in the game.
The AI is freaking out over the dead body they found
He is still going the stealthy route
He engaged the cloaking system
Holy balls a guard almost saw him.
He managed to get through the room without killing anybody.
Wow another hacking mini-game.
He used the X-ray before to see if there were any guards present in the room.

Were loading another game right now.
I wanted to see the badass stealth kill :(
But now were going into a firefight
Combat Rifle is the community managers favorite weapon in the game.
Weapon customization is in the game.
Using flashbangs to do a breach and clear.
Destructible environments are in the game as well
Oh loot, what RPG is complete without it.
Security systems have been activated.

[Comment From Corpus Corpus: ]
On what scale are the environments destructable? is it just certain walls etc?
No the example they showed was a glass screen.
I would assume they are not going it to the scale of a game like Battlefield 1943 or BC2.
Another hacking mini-game.

HE hacked the camera an is now hacking turning it against its own allies.
Were going to ambush from the vent.
You can lift the turret off the ground if you have the right strength stats.
True. I know they have certain walls you can punch through.
This is true.
Watching a cutscene these graphics are amazing!

[Comment From ELV ELV: ]
Did the hacking look complicated?
No not really you can find videos on youtube is what Corpus told us.

What system are they playing it on?
Seemed like an Xbox =/
I wanted to see the PC Version

[Comment From ArcR ArcR: ]
So.. the first cutscene is roughly 20 minutes into the game.
No they loaded a game that is take place longer in the story.

[Comment From Guest Guest: ]
did the explain why a live video feed wasn't allowed?
No, but lets be honest there is probably shaky cam footage of it on Youtube right now.

[Comment From Laurence Laurence: ]
Are you basically being shown the same section of the game thats already been extensively previewed so far? or is this new footage?.
To be perfectly honest I'm not sure. It looks fairly new to me, and they said it was the first time they have shown this footage, but that could have meant them showing it to the consumers.

The Q&A has started. Does anyone have any questions?

[Comment From LaurencesMom LaurencesMom: ]
will they eventually release the footage they showed at a later date?
Yes it probably will, and your name made me chuckle.

Did the animation look smooth or kind of 'jerky' like in the Adam Jensen trailer?
It looked fairly smooth, a lot smoother than the previous versions released.

The game will have exclusive content on the PC and it will have directX 11 support.
They will discuss the content on a later date.
I'd buy it for a dolla!

[Comment From GreyFox GreyFox: ]
Will there be a demo?
Demo will be released on Steam, PSN, and XBL. No date announced.

[Comment From Guest Guest: ]
any details on that content?
No it will be discussed on a later date. Expect E3 this is my assumption.

Will they release a SDK or has this not been decided?
Not been decided.

[Comment From Tecman Tecman: ]
Sweet. Could you ask if there's plans on releasing the Soundtrack, possibly before the game's release?
To the soundtrack question I will pull them aside and ask them later today.

[Comment From CReav CReav: ]
If you could just tell us in one sentence what are your final impressions, what would it be?
Hahaha oh man it's going to be more than two sentences give me a second.
For someone who loved the first game, grew up with it as a child, and was his first introduction to the RPG genre. I was fairly impressed, not amazed, but it does look good.

Rainbow6Team
12th Mar 2011, 21:48
Thanks for nothing EM.

Irate_Iguana
12th Mar 2011, 21:53
Thanks for transcribing, MrFoxter.

MrFoxter
12th Mar 2011, 21:57
^ Oh, that was just copy/paste and a bit of formatting. You're welcome.

So, guards will notice opened doors? Great news. I haven't seen this in any other game (please correct me if there is such game).

ZakKa89
12th Mar 2011, 22:00
I hope the fact it has directx11 support won't mean I can't turn on stuff like motion blur or something. I have a directx10 card. Lot of options in DA2 weren't even available for me.

ParticleDualist
12th Mar 2011, 22:15
I hope the fact it has directx11 support won't mean I can't turn on stuff like motion blur or something. I have a directx10 card. Lot of options in DA2 weren't even available for me.

You should be able to download the drivers for directx11 to make game run the way it should. I've done it before with previous versions.

Rainbow6Team
13th Mar 2011, 02:17
Theres a presentation at PAX for this game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPfOMpFkirQ

The three stooges appear at 2:00.

Sadly no gameplay.

wowlace
13th Mar 2011, 03:22
New.

Where is it?

EM are all talk no action.

"Yeah we got this awesome game we are super stoked your gonna love it"

Where is it?

They expect us to pre order the game off some year old clips with **** all gameplay in view. A couple of trailers that are essentially the same trailer with different editing.

Why couldn't people film the presentation at PAX? Is the game that bad?

Arksun
13th Mar 2011, 03:40
Where is it?

Where is it?

They expect us to pre order the game off some year old clips with **** all gameplay in view. A couple of trailers that are essentially the same trailer with different editing.

um, you do realise that whats in that youtube video isn't everything shown @ Pax, that they showed gameplay footage, that there's been gameplay trailers released (most recent one last month), that EM never promised the footage from PAX would be shown online and that obviously there will be more trailers in the coming months to release and that you actually bothered to read the previous posts in the thread before posting.

*insert your favourite facepalm picture here*

wowlace
13th Mar 2011, 03:52
um, you do realise that whats in that youtube video isn't everything shown @ Pax, that they showed gameplay footage, that there's been gameplay trailers released (most recent one last month), that EM never promised the footage from PAX would be shown online and that obviously there will be more trailers in the coming months to release and that you actually bothered to read the previous posts in the thread before posting.

*insert your favourite facepalm picture here*

I do realize there was footage. I would like to see it. :mad2:

rokstrombo
13th Mar 2011, 03:57
Where is it?

Where is it?

Montréal.

There is no obligation for you to pre-order the game at all. You can wait for some more gameplay videos and screenshots, or a demo, or you can just wait for the release date. Or you can not buy it at all.

Perhaps so EM don't have to create a new presentation to release publicly in addition to what was shown at PAX? There is still over 5 months until the game is released, and there is only so much that can be revealed about a single player game without spoiling parts of the experience. Additionally, prospective buyers may have begun to lose interest after 5 months, so it is important that there is still something meaningful left to show as the release date draws closer.

Personally I have seen more than enough in the materials released to conclude that a great deal of consideration and passion has gone into the production of this game, and that is enough for me to want to purchase it so I can experience it for myself.

Rainbow6Team
13th Mar 2011, 04:45
Em could always release more shotty deus ex merchandise and comics with sliced out stories from the game.

Daeda
13th Mar 2011, 10:24
Where is it?

Where is it?

Actually, I think they've shown quite much (if you count all press exclusive demo's) when compared to some other games. For example, try to find some good GTA IV footage from before release. What we got is not bad at all. And people should start to wonder how much they want to see of this game. Ion Storm always showed very little of Deus Ex games because they where afraid of spoilers. If you havent seen enough yet then wait.. we still have 6 months to go you know..

Yeah the gameindustry really loves camrips that in no way represent their game properly to reach the internet instead of official assets.

ZakKa89
13th Mar 2011, 10:33
They've shown quite much, yes. Also, the gameplay trailers aren't nearly the same. First, we got a gameplay reveal. After that, we got a trailer which showed a bit of hacking, the inventory, a bit of exploring and a lot of combat. After that, we got a more story-oriented trailer. What I'd like to see next is just some pure gameplay video which shows more of the 'social' pillar. Definitely haven't seen enough of that. Wowlace needs to calm down ;p

Dresden
13th Mar 2011, 11:42
Eh they've revealed two social battles already. That's enough considering how spoilery they are. I wouldn't mind seeing how the Tong convo plays out with the social augs active though.

Irate_Iguana
13th Mar 2011, 11:52
And people should start to wonder how much they want to see of this game.

Not all of us are in the position to already have played the game. We can only go by what EM has revealed to us. That is not a whole lot. What I want is to be able to make an informed decision. I want to know how this game will play before I consider buying it. I want to know how combat feels. How the AI actually functions in an uncut firefight of a minute or two. All we have had are a few seconds at a time. I want to know how stealth works. Something more than just the fact that is uses 3rd person cover and cloak. I want to know how LoS, Sound, AI and the *** radar work to create an experience that is enjoyable. I want to know how the social battles work. A bit more than the fact that it is apparently wonderful (although some mention wonky animation)? From where I'm standing it doesn't look a whole lot more advanced than Fallouts (the good ones, not the current ****) Talking Heads. I want to know how the hacking works. Give me a clearer understanding than the minigame on the Sarif website. Besides combat there is a lot that could be clarified.

Arksun
13th Mar 2011, 12:57
Not all of us are in the position to already have played the game. We can only go by what EM has revealed to us. That is not a whole lot. What I want is to be able to make an informed decision. I want to know how this game will play before I consider buying it. I want to know how combat feels. How the AI actually functions in an uncut firefight of a minute or two. All we have had are a few seconds at a time. I want to know how stealth works. Something more than just the fact that is uses 3rd person cover and cloak. I want to know how LoS, Sound, AI and the *** radar work to create an experience that is enjoyable. I want to know how the social battles work. A bit more than the fact that it is apparently wonderful (although some mention wonky animation)? From where I'm standing it doesn't look a whole lot more advanced than Fallouts (the good ones, not the current ****) Talking Heads. I want to know how the hacking works. Give me a clearer understanding than the minigame on the Sarif website. Besides combat there is a lot that could be clarified.

Your post can be summed up as simply "I can't make a decision unless I have a demo version to play"

At PAX they confirmed there will be a demo.

Daeda
13th Mar 2011, 13:05
At PAX they confirmed there will be a demo.

They didnt, the liveblog was a fake

DXHR seems like a complex game to make a proper demo out of. But since they still have 6 months to go, I wouldnt rule out the possibility.

As for Irate Iguana, I understand Im more able to make an informed descission than you can, but I really doubt all those things you want to know will be clear from just a couple of minutes video. Unfortunately for information that deep you either need a good preview (which requires more handson time than a rushed 3 hours) or a demo. Since the game will still have an E3 appreance I would expect some extra ingame material in the coming months though.

Irate_Iguana
13th Mar 2011, 13:21
but I really doubt all those things you want to know will be clear from just a couple of minutes video.

Why? Combat would require two firefights. That would be four minutes tops. Social battle would be one conversation. The hacking minigame would ideally be two different hack attempts. The only video that would be long would be the stealth video since by its very nature stealth is dependent on waiting and taking it slow. They could make a big feature out of it and show of a single pillar each month or so on their youtube page. Round up the relevant dev, make him talk a bit about the design of the pillar and how he wanted it to feel and then show the gameplay. Easy marketing.

Even if they didn't want to make something special they could just show the three different walkthroughs of the Detroit section. If that is apparently enough for the press to form an idea it should be enough for the general public to form an opinion.

viletomato
13th Mar 2011, 13:40
what i don't understand is the reasoning for not revealing the gameplay video.

From any perspective, are there any benefits to it? From some comments on it, it doesn't seen to spoil any of the plot. So what is the reason other than being lazy from showing this footage?

Daeda
13th Mar 2011, 14:01
what i don't understand is the reasoning for not revealing the gameplay video.

From any perspective, are there any benefits to it? From some comments on it, it doesn't seen to spoil any of the plot. So what is the reason other than being lazy from showing this footage?

Multiple reasons:

First of all, bugs and glitches: press can see through this (as they are used to it and tend not to write about in preview states) but consumers could be put off from buying. So before showing footage they want a really polished game. I agree that the game should have reached this phase by now (ie polished enough to show) but we still need to take into account point 2: hype.

In the world of Marketing, its all about creating as much hype and more importantly, maintaining it untill release. Why do you think Apple tends to only announce their products just a few weeks before release? Because once they announce, they're sure it will be in the press from announcement through release. Now obviously for games you need a bit longer to create hype, but letting they hype reach its hight now would be unwise. When I first heard the release of DXHR was pushed back to after the summer, me and my coworkers where afraid they'd made a wrong descission in creating hype. Because consumers can be hyped now, but that is no guarrantee they'll remember the game in 6 months. You should not forget that you are a visitor of this forum and thus almost by definition you have a high interest in this game. The average consumer doesnt and marketing needs to slowly prepare them for playing the game. Showing all kinds of awesome now and not being able to tip that in 5 months when marketing gets really important would be suicidal.

Its just the way business works and you'll just have to accept that.

Srosa
13th Mar 2011, 14:51
Multiple reasons:

First of all, bugs and glitches: press can see through this (as they are used to it and tend not to write about in preview states) but consumers could be put off from buying. So before showing footage they want a really polished game. I agree that the game should have reached this phase by now (ie polished enough to show) but we still need to take into account point 2: hype.

In the world of Marketing, its all about creating as much hype and more importantly, maintaining it untill release. Why do you think Apple tends to only announce their products just a few weeks before release? Because once they announce, they're sure it will be in the press from announcement through release. Now obviously for games you need a bit longer to create hype, but letting they hype reach its hight now would be unwise. When I first heard the release of DXHR was pushed back to after the summer, me and my coworkers where afraid they'd made a wrong descission in creating hype. Because consumers can be hyped now, but that is no guarrantee they'll remember the game in 6 months. You should not forget that you are a visitor of this forum and thus almost by definition you have a high interest in this game. The average consumer doesnt and marketing needs to slowly prepare them for playing the game. Showing all kinds of awesome now and not being able to tip that in 5 months when marketing gets really important would be suicidal.

Its just the way business works and you'll just have to accept that.

Thought hype might turn into boring times if not controlled in the right way, 'cause it's getting a bit boring when you haven't seen a decent gameplay since 2007! Don't know if you catch the point.

nexusdx
13th Mar 2011, 15:19
From there I went to the exclusive showing of Deus Ex: Human Revolution on the main stage, where the lead game designer and art director walked us through several sections of game play that gave me a good sense of what to expect. This was the first time that any game footage has been shown to people outside of the press, so I was very excited to be a part of it. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to record any of the actual game footage, but I was able to record a great Q&A that followed right after. People asked some great questions, and the dev's gave equally great answers. So make sure to be on the look out for those videos because they really tell you a lot about the game. But again, it is in the upload queue, so I will get it up when I can.
http://www.thegamestrand.com/2011/03/pax-east-day-two.html

another ******* embargo

Daeda
13th Mar 2011, 15:24
Thats not an embargo.. thats just a no filming policy and someone waiting for the video of the Q&A to upload..

pi r squared
13th Mar 2011, 15:40
Thought hype might turn into boring times if not controlled in the right way, 'cause it's getting a bit boring when you haven't seen a decent gameplay since 2007! Don't know if you catch the point.By "decent gameplay", are you talking about footage of DX:HR gameplay? Because we've seen quite a bit of "decent gameplay" over the last few months. When the embargo was lifted at the tail end of February, that bought with it some new stock footage of gameplay - so it's not like we've been sat here for four years waiting for nothing.

Arksun
13th Mar 2011, 18:08
They didnt, the liveblog was a fake

wow, seriously?. Those cheeky *****.

Rainbow6Team
13th Mar 2011, 18:52
I guess they're back at EM,partying and getting drunk.

3rdmillhouse
13th Mar 2011, 19:25
By "decent gameplay", are you talking about footage of DX:HR gameplay? Because we've seen quite a bit of "decent gameplay" over the last few months. When the embargo was lifted at the tail end of February, that bought with it some new stock footage of gameplay - so it's not like we've been sat here for four years waiting for nothing.

I have no idea as to what you're talking about.

Tecman
13th Mar 2011, 19:36
I have no idea as to what you're talking about.
What, you haven't seen a single video preview in Feb/March? :) It's a compilation of short gameplay clips with the HUD visible. Someone compiled most of them. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVdUE8QOx4I)

MrFoxter
13th Mar 2011, 19:58
I guess they're back at EM,partying and getting drunk.

Actually, Kyle is wandering around the PAX and giving away some shirts and goodies.

http://yfrog.com/h8oz2mvj find me in the north lobby, tell me gunther's favorite brand of soda, and this baby is yours

wilm987
13th Mar 2011, 20:40
Why are you still here? The game is 6 months away, you'll drive crazy.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Mar 2011, 22:57
Actually, Kyle is wandering around the PAX and giving away some shirts and goodies.

Fantastic. Congratulations to all prize winners. Lucky people! :cool:

Srosa
14th Mar 2011, 00:11
Why are you still here? The game is 6 months away, you'll drive crazy.

LOL.

So true. :hmm:

Rainbow6Team
14th Mar 2011, 00:24
By the time 6 months pass I'll be halfway done reading the Homefront novel.

Wunderbar_007
14th Mar 2011, 01:09
YET ANOTHER INTERVIEW (sorry if already posted somewhere)

http://asia.gamespot.com/events/paxeast2011/video.html?sid=6303660&tag=recent_updates;title;2&pid=944090

[FGS]Shadowrunner
14th Mar 2011, 01:18
Dugas just sold an extra million copies by wearing that Iron Maiden T-Shirt.

VectorM
14th Mar 2011, 02:57
Yeah, Iron Maiden is so hip these days.

Tecman
14th Mar 2011, 07:17
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3361630&pagenumber=60#post389208904

I was there. It was almost entirely questions I already saw answered in this thread. Also I can confirm that there was zero mention of the word "demo" so you guys got owned.

My impressions: The game seemed more linear than I expected, but this could be because they had already had a path that they knew they were going to follow for the demonstration. There was a lot of "If you look over there, you can see a different thing we could have done," but it didn't feel as open as liberty island. I'd be interested to see one of the "city hubs" they mentioned. They started out sneaking around, knocking out guards, going in a roof entrance into some vents, and then hacking a security terminal. The hacking minigame looks like it won't get tiresome as quickly as the **** in mass effect. When you attack a node it has that % chance to be detected, and when you get the node, the link to it turns green. If you are detected, the enemy server (red thing) starts turning the links red pipedream-style back to your source and then something happens I guess? Seeing it in motion really helps you understand it better than a description.

When they switched to a combat-style playthrough, he just threw stun grenades and then shot npcs as they took a year to stand up. He didn't move out of the elevator until the room-full of guards were dead, so I have no idea how well the AI actually tries to flank you.

Aesthetics-wise: when you look around, a lot of objects you can interact with (cupboards, ladders, boxes) are highlighted in orange, and glow brighter the closer you are/more directly you look at them. It seemed way too bright and obnoxious, eg. When climbing down a ladder it was solid neon orange. There are also third person cutscenes in the gameplay. If you remember that part in the trailer where a dude shoots himself, the cutscene was that, but slightly different. It looks like he was an augmented dude trying to break into your company with wires into his skull, but it backfired and made him blow his brains out.

Overall, I was a little disappointed. It looks like a very good game, but not quite the new deus ex I was hoping for. hope this helps

Shralla
14th Mar 2011, 07:26
Well, I'm finally back home from PAX. I recorded most of the Q&A session, and I might have a tiny bit of gameplay on my camera before the enforcers started roaming up and down the aisles, and I also took a page of sporadic notes on things I though you guys might find interesting. I'm way too beat to post it now, but tomorrow I'll write up a first post and make a new thread about it.

Tecman
14th Mar 2011, 08:07
EDIT: PAX 2011 Videos
I locally archived the gameplay vid in case it gets pulled. It's really short, around 2 minutes.
PAX EAST 11: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Gameplay (a short vid, not much but better than nothing) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnDEH0CmW_c)
PAX EAST 11: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5osRfBpLKWo)
PAX EAST 11: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Q&A Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jySngK4S4g)

Alternative Q&A Vids:
Deus Ex Human Revolution Q&A Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em-vz5O7y5s)
Deus Ex Human Revolution Q&A Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03U8dgtyyg4)
Deus Ex Human Revolution Q&A Part 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IXRRIYOJy4)
Deus Ex Human Revolution Q&A Part 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJCX5uGwaxU)

EDIT 2: Some interesting vid captures (click for bigger)
http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-1-t.jpg (http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-1.jpg)http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-2-t.jpg (http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-2.jpg)
http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-3-t.jpg (http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-3.jpg)http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-4-t.jpg (http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-4.jpg)
http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-5-t.jpg (http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-5.jpg)http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-6-t.jpg (http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-6.jpg)
http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-7-t.jpg (http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-7.jpg)http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-8-t.jpg (http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-8.jpg)
http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-9-t.jpg (http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-9.jpg)http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-10-t.jpg (http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-10.jpg)
http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-11-t.jpg (http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-11.jpg)http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-12-t.jpg (http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-12.jpg)
http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-13-t.jpg (http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-13.jpg)http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-14-t.jpg (http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/vid-pax2011-14.jpg)

Irate_Iguana
14th Mar 2011, 08:12
on my camera

Please tell me you did the sombrero and mustache thing.

Partydrank
14th Mar 2011, 08:12
Thanks a lot Tecman. Cheers

Irate_Iguana
14th Mar 2011, 08:19
I locally archived the gameplay vid in case it gets pulled. It's really short, around 2 minutes.

As always, thanks for the information, Tecman. There are some interesting bits in that.

IOS
14th Mar 2011, 08:24
From the gameplay, I'm really disappointed by the orange glow. It really is distracting and makes finding alternate paths way too easy. I'm hoping for either a) it to be turned off or b) it to be far more toned down in the PC version.

Other then that, game looks solid. That somethingawful post did say the gameplay looks linear, but again I think its because the developers had a path through the level mapped out.

Irate_Iguana
14th Mar 2011, 08:34
From the gameplay, I'm really disappointed by the orange glow. It really is distracting and makes finding alternate paths way too easy. I'm hoping for either a) it to be turned off or b) it to be far more toned down in the PC version.

The good news is that there are more moveable objects in this short section than I would have expected. The bad thing is that the glow makes this really obnoxious to look at. I've never been a fan of it, but actually seeing it in action in a level like this makes it seem worse. Not a big fan of the constant pop-up that says "press square to move" and the objective marker either.

EDIT: You know, that pop-up could actually be used in exchange for the glow. It only pops up when Adam is standing really close to something and it shows that you can interact with something. They could disable the glow and the pop-up would function as the pointer box from DX.

Tecman
14th Mar 2011, 08:43
Like I said on Something Awful, and now it's proven in the video (check the second shot, the Missions Log), the reason it's so linear is because this is the first mission, after the tutorial. The vibe I'm getting is that the devs are structuring the game to increase its complexity as the game goes on, allowing for a smooth learning experience for people not familiar with Deus Ex.

On the other hand, if it doesn't get non-linear enough down the road, blood will flow. :)

ZakKa89
14th Mar 2011, 09:02
Tecman you're on fire man! Thanks again :D

edit: Wow the orange highlighting REALLY is too much. They should make it more subtle or only appear when you are really close to it(like dx). It really ruins the look of the game.

Ilves
14th Mar 2011, 09:08
Nothing sells the game like seeing it in action! Can't wait to dive in. Thanks for posting, Tecman.

I've never been a fan of [the glow], but actually seeing it in action in a level like this makes it seem worse. Not a big fan of the constant pop-up that says "press square to move" and the objective marker either.

Right, UI visuals & SFX's feel plenty Fisher Price-y. Just being able to turn off the outlinings (or reducing the distance from which they pop up) would help a great great deal in eliminating the obtrusive sense of hand holding.

If your game world logic regarding interactable items is solid and consistent (and it appears to be so in HR), there's really no need to have indicators visible from miles away.

rokstrombo
14th Mar 2011, 09:19
Go Tecman!

I'm not the biggest fan of the orange highlighting either, but perhaps it is something the player would become accustomed to with experience. My first impression is that despite the relatively small angle over which the effect occurs, it may train the player to stumble through the maps looking for the highlighting rather than observing the whole scene. I do like the idea of an augmented-reality HUD, however.

Also, it's pretty cool that the turret can lose hit points by garbage can. This is one of the concerns people had over the reported decrease in the number of physics items in maps.

Edit: I just remembered that it's not cool to describe something as cool on this forum. I meant to say that it is pretty happening.

Neuromancer07
14th Mar 2011, 09:29
Yeah, I agree with general sentiment, while it's something I could get used to, it kind of detracts from the art of the game and should be toggleable so that only what you're directly looking at in proximity is highlighted.

Pretty please Edios?

Moeez
14th Mar 2011, 10:12
This is final, I don't think they can make any changes like to the UI. I like the orange highlighting, because it makes the player aware of everything interactive in the environment and encourages exploration rather than only leaving that kind of stuff to "archeologist" type gamers.

Is it one of the eye Augmentions?

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/1466/deusexeyeaugmentation.jpg

Ilves
14th Mar 2011, 10:14
I like the orange highlighting, because it makes the player aware of everything interactive

...effectively eliminating exploration, not encouraging it. :whistle: That's the whole problem.

But I do appreciate you "archaeologist" designation. Sounds way better than "fossil". :lol:

Daeda
14th Mar 2011, 10:20
I can tripple confirm its the first mission after the tutorial. Screens by Tecman where sections I played and the mission description is identical. So for those feating the linearity of the mission, lets assume it gets better over the rest of the game :)

EDIT: As for orange glow, I believe you have to be close by the first time. After that it will stay lighted however. Not sure about the threshold.

Kvltism
14th Mar 2011, 10:29
Wow the orange highlighting REALLY is too much.

Aye. If we can toggle it off, that would be lovely.

xaduha
14th Mar 2011, 10:42
They gave us orange :hmm:

Neuromancer07
14th Mar 2011, 10:43
Also massive thanks Tecman for your footage and your impressive information compilation on SomethingAwful.

Moeez
14th Mar 2011, 10:45
...effectively eliminating exploration, not encouraging it. :whistle: That's the whole problem.

But I do appreciate you "archaeologist" designation. Sounds way better than "fossil". :lol:

I could've said "OCD" :D

ZakKa89
14th Mar 2011, 10:59
Aye. If we can toggle it off, that would be lovely.

Yes. the button "H" on my keyboard will do just fine.

Red
14th Mar 2011, 11:16
I see performance issues in the gameplay video. The framerate likes to drop a lot as it seems. I hope the PC version won't have that problem due to better hardware.

Irate_Iguana
14th Mar 2011, 11:32
They gave us orange :hmm:

I doubt anyone wants the highlighting in Lemon Lime.

vallux
14th Mar 2011, 11:48
I doubt anyone wants the highlighting in Lemon Lime.

This.

I don't have problems with the highlighting per se. It's coming on a little strong is all.

xaduha
14th Mar 2011, 11:55
Lemon-lime soda is transparent, methinks.
No highlighting? I'll manage.

Moeez
14th Mar 2011, 12:12
I think we'd need to hear from people who actually played the game (was it playable?) to see how obtrusive the orange highlighting is, but I've found one person (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26477379&postcount=34) from GAF who said:

"Based on my playtime with the game:

For the things to light up you need to stand relatively close at first. Once discovered, they will be hightlighted earlier though. Also, it didnt feel too reveiling and actually quite stylistic."

H.D.Case
14th Mar 2011, 12:22
The highlighting is awful, it is like Bioshock deja vu - do not think, follow the highlighted objects. Couldn't they just stick to the object name text pop-up? :/
BTW, do we also get the GPS -style info, like "after 50 metres turn left; turn left, turn right." ? :/

Whompa
14th Mar 2011, 12:56
His eyes are ******* augmented people. Chill out!

Wunderbar_007
14th Mar 2011, 13:01
Thank You so much for the videos Tecman!!

PLEASE, PLEASE let us be able to turn off the orange outlines around objects!! PLEASE!! It's terrible!!

VectorM
14th Mar 2011, 13:01
It really is distracting and makes finding alternate paths way too easy.

Agree that it's really annoying, but according to that video, it doesn't make finding new paths easy at all. All the glow does, is highlight objects that you can use. And since there is no alternate path behind every single usable crate, you will still have to look around. The levels are balanced with the highlight option after all.

You can see it in the clip by yourself - there is a vent shaft behind the crate that you can't see at all.

The vibe I'm getting is that the devs are structuring the game to increase its complexity as the game goes on, allowing for a smooth learning experience for people not familiar with Deus Ex.

One of the designers confirmed your speculation in the Feb 26 interviews. They've designed the game to be more complex as you go on.

Whompa
14th Mar 2011, 13:18
Thank You so much for the videos Tecman!!

PLEASE, PLEASE let us be able to turn off the orange outlines around objects!! PLEASE!! It's terrible!!

ITS AN AUGMENTATION! Holy crap people...

Irate_Iguana
14th Mar 2011, 13:19
His eyes are ******* augmented people.

So? That doesn't make the mechanic any less annoying.

Wunderbar_007
14th Mar 2011, 13:19

One that you apparently get at the start, not a choice.

Arksun
14th Mar 2011, 13:39
Thanks for the vids Tecman (and for holding the camera steady), good job :)

Blackbird SR-71C
14th Mar 2011, 13:49
I just had a thought: In the beginning of the game, when you don't have any augmentations, the game is entirely HUD-less and - I assume - highlight-less. Doesn't that mean replacing or removing the current HUD should be a simple task? It shouldn't even take that long to do. Just add it in as a seperate "realisitic" mode or something.

Pinky_Powers
14th Mar 2011, 14:08
I wouldn't be too quick to freak out over the highlighting seen in this video. All light sources are amplified in this footage due to the contrasting issues persistent in all Cam work filmed off a screen. I'm not saying the highlighting won't be annoying, but it won't be bleeding out and cutting our eyes like it is in this video.

The colours and lighting in Cam footage is both washed out and exaggerated simultaneously. The Penthouse gameplay video shows the highlighting to be more subtle. Though I admit, it's still a problem.

Arksun
14th Mar 2011, 14:18
I wouldn't be too quick to freak out over the highlighting seen in this video. All light sources are amplified in this footage due to the contrasting issues persistent in all Cam work filmed off a screen. I'm not saying the highlighting won't be annoying, but it won't be bleeding out and cutting our eyes like it is in this video.

The colours and lighting in Cam footage is both washed out and exaggerated simultaneously. The Penthouse gameplay video shows the highlighting to be more subtle. Though I admit, it's still a problem.

Thats a good point actually, though personally I still would have prefered the less intrusive approach of the first DX game using the vibrating rectangle edges to highlight an object.

Its worth watching the Q&A into how the whole augmentation thing is built into the narrative and having this inbuilt augmented view of the world and the HUD is very much designed to be as the HUD he would see, not just a HUD for gamers perspective type thing. When looking at it that way, the more intense highlighting doesn't seem soo bad. My only real concern then is the threshold at which it kicks in. Ideally the shorter (closer) the better.

Tecman
14th Mar 2011, 14:21
Thanks for the vids Tecman (and for holding the camera steady), good job :)
I'm not the one who actually filmed these, hope this helps.

(See: me whining to Coyotegrey about my European-ness because of that sweet, sweet DXHR PAX T-Shirt)

EDIT: Well hello there.

Uplinked: Deus Ex 3′s Hacking System
( http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/14/deus-ex-hacking/ )

Ah yes, the object highlighting: I have a vague memory of seeing an option to turn it off in the preview levels I played. I may be hallucinating, but will look into it – certainly, I don’t remember the stuff I saw seeming anywhere near as orangey-glinty-outliney.

ZakKa89
14th Mar 2011, 16:09
Ah yes, the object highlighting: I have a vague memory of seeing an option to turn it off in the preview levels I played. I may be hallucinating, but will look into it – certainly, I don’t remember the stuff I saw seeming anywhere near as orangey-glinty-outliney.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/03/14/deus-ex-hacking/

AGH NINJA.

Anyway let's hope for the best

Arksun
14th Mar 2011, 16:12
Watching that video again the object highlighting doesn't seem to be distance based, only field of vision based, like that one point where he's closed to a box but its no longer highlited cause of the angle away he's facing. Objects further don't have quite as intense a glow, but closer the glow does seem fairly intense.

If there really is an option to turn it off then great.

Whompa
14th Mar 2011, 16:30
One that you apparently get at the start, not a choice.

Yes it is a choice, the choice to USE it or NOT USE IT.

It's not stuck on your face and permanently ON...

So? That doesn't make the mechanic any less annoying.

Get over it. I double people used all the augs in the first deus ex game...Also, the vision augs in the first game were annoying too. Remember that big green BOX around the screen?

Some people are unbelievably picky about an OPTION that you don't necessarily need to use in the game...

Look on the right side of the screen, he has some sort of vision augment on.

ZakKa89
14th Mar 2011, 16:34
Whompa try to read before you rant. We don't know for certain if we can turn it on or off. We don't know for certain if it's optional. You are just assuming... Stop

Whompa
14th Mar 2011, 16:36
Whompa try to read before you rant.

He's got a strength aug and vision aug ON. I doubt it will be like that 24/7

I'm obviously not sure, but it reminds me of the augs in the first game that would hi-light certain objects.

xaduha
14th Mar 2011, 16:37
Look on the right side of the screen, he has some sort of vision augment on.
And you are so CERTAIN about it just because of this ˆ?

Rainbow6Team
14th Mar 2011, 16:57
Funny,there was no highlight glow when Adam picked up the concussion mine.

ZakKa89
14th Mar 2011, 17:05

I'm obviously not sure, but it reminds me of the augs in the first game that would hi-light certain objects.

That's the thing, you sounded pretty sure in your previous posts:

His eyes are ******* augmented people. Chill out!

Yes it is a choice, the choice to USE it or NOT USE IT.

It's not stuck on your face and permanently ON...

But yes, you are not sure, neither are we, so we have the right to post the highlighting annoys us.

Irate_Iguana
14th Mar 2011, 17:13
Some people are unbelievably picky about an OPTION that you don't necessarily need to use in the game...

Welcome to the wonderful world of forced, passive, augs. That highlight is part of the HUD. You will always have it and it will always be on. You can't choose to simply leave it off.

xaduha
14th Mar 2011, 17:30
Funny,there was no highlight glow when Adam picked up the concussion mine.
Day when they start to highlight mines will be darkest day of PC gaming.
Wait...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21787303/images/mine.jpg

Ashpolt
14th Mar 2011, 17:32
Thanks for the footage Tecman!

Like pretty much everyone else has said though, that object glow is far too strong in this video, and to be honest I don't think it's necessary at all so I'd like an option to turn it off completely, never mind just turn it down. I mean, I can sort of understand the logic in it highlighting interactable objects - I still don't want it, but I can see why they might implement it - but highlighting doors? Come on, I think we're all capable of recognising a door and understanding its function. There's really no excuse for not allowing us to turn the highlighting off, it should be a really easy change (especially if you do indeed start the game without it) and there's still several months until release.

And this is yet another reason why EM should just release the frakkin' footage officially. Not to all game developers everywhere: If you show your game to the public, even in very limited numbers, that footage will get on to the internet, regardless of your strict security. It just will happen. Would you rather people see crappy shakycam footage of your game, or high quality properly recorded footage? They're seeing one or the other, so may as well give them the best impression possible.

[EDIT] Two things I did like:

1) All this footage is first person. At last! Admittedly it's because there are no enemies around, but still, it's nice that they are at all capable of showing the gameplay without snapping to third person.

2) The new aug screen looks quite a bit better now that the augs are more spread out and not all in a block on the bottom left of the screen. Still could do with a bit of improvement IMO, but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

ZakKa89
14th Mar 2011, 17:52
the highlighting on the mine is stupid too :)

Arksun
14th Mar 2011, 18:09
the highlighting on the mine is stupid too :)

Not really when you think about it, you have augs to help you, such as being able to see enemies through walls. Warning of mines close by is just another extension of that. In fact if anything it would bizarre that out of the wonderous gadgets he has to assist his survival in dangerous situations, he could track position of human enemies but not other dangers such as robots, mines etc.

Highlighting obvious critical dangers makes sense to me, overly highlighting anything that can be manipulated or explored such as boxes, access tunnels etc at any distance in a not too narrow field of view is the area I'm having slight concerns about. But again we have no official confirmation on whether this can be enabled or disabled.

xaduha
14th Mar 2011, 18:11
There was no highlighting of the mine, mine was glowing by itself, like "alarm-mine"

oscarMike
14th Mar 2011, 18:20
Normally, I'm strongly against damn highlighting! For me, the color of it is least the problem> it's immersion breaker and exploration killer and it contradicts the essence and quality of the open world game by directly indicating to player what to look and where to go.. would be fine if that was aug that one could choose to pick in the middle of the game or so. The devs could bypass this "problem" by simply disabling it on higher levels of difficulty(normal, deus ex etc.)...it would be a compromise, but compromise that would make everyone pleased!

Moeez
14th Mar 2011, 19:00
Normally, I'm strongly against damn highlighting! For me, the color of it is least the problem> it's immersion breaker and exploration killer and it contradicts the essence and quality of the open world game by directly indicating to player what to look and where to go.. would be fine if that was aug that one could choose to pick in the middle of the game or so. The devs could bypass this "problem" by simply disabling it on higher levels of difficulty(normal, deus ex etc.)...it would be a compromise, but compromise that would make everyone pleased!

People need to lay off the exaggerations, and watch the video again. First, it's cam footage, so it looks way too bright and so the orange pops out.

Secondly, the further you're away from the object, the highlighting goes away. Watch the video and see how he moves away from objects in the hallway, and the highlighting disappears.

ZakKa89
14th Mar 2011, 19:20
Not really when you think about it, you have augs to help you, such as being able to see enemies through walls. Warning of mines close by is just another extension of that. In fact if anything it would bizarre that out of the wonderous gadgets he has to assist his survival in dangerous situations, he could track position of human enemies but not other dangers such as robots, mines etc.

Highlighting obvious critical dangers makes sense to me, overly highlighting anything that can be manipulated or explored such as boxes, access tunnels etc at any distance in a not too narrow field of view is the area I'm having slight concerns about. But again we have no official confirmation on whether this can be enabled or disabled.

I am looking at it from a gameplay perspective. Doesn't matter to me of it makes sense or not, The highlighting on the mine makes it way too easy to spot mines/traps. The traps in Deus Ex were brilliant, and surprised me quite some times. Being careful and using your eyes to spot traps/mines like these are a part of exploring and part of what makes DX gameplay great. I am ok with it if an aug spots mines/traps, I am not ok with how obvious that mine was in the video. It takes out the enjoyment of actually spotting a mine because you are looking yourself, not because the game places a giant arrow which says "TRAP HERE! watch out!"

Daeda
14th Mar 2011, 19:32
To be fair, unless those traps kill you instantly it will only be a rare occasion where health regen wont fix your mistake (ie only when other enemies are present).

ZakKa89
14th Mar 2011, 19:36
Good point, but you still:

-Get surprised (maybe a jump-out-of-seat moment )
-Know you 'wasted' a mine you could have used against enemies
-The noise could alarm guards.

The reason I don't want to see those highlights around a mine is mostly because of the exploration. Right now it looks like the mine shines light in 4 directions.

xaduha
14th Mar 2011, 19:45
It's logical to assume that they glow only then there's alarm, without that they are dormant I bet

Shralla
14th Mar 2011, 19:56
To be honest, I didn't really expect anybody to be able to get video of the entirety of the gameplay, with how attentive and strict the enforcers were being in the aisles. But since we DO have full video of the gameplay, I reckon that makes my notes unnecessary, unless, of course, you guys would still like to hear my perspective on the things I saw in-person and things I found notable.

ZakKa89
14th Mar 2011, 20:00
To be honest, I didn't really expect anybody to be able to get video of the entirety of the gameplay, with how attentive and strict the enforcers were being in the aisles. But since we DO have full video of the gameplay, I reckon that makes my notes unnecessary, unless, of course, you guys would still like to hear my perspective on the things I saw in-person and things I found notable.

But that's not the full gameplay video, or is it? Surely there were was more gameplay we haven't seen yet? :)

xaduha
14th Mar 2011, 20:01
One eye witness is better than ten hear sayers

olle_bsson
14th Mar 2011, 20:03

It can't be the whole demo there on youtube, wasn't the demo around 20 minutes?

I would really like to hear what you have to say about it and things you noted, please do tell :)

Shralla
14th Mar 2011, 20:04
To be honest, I didn't watch the video, since I was there. :P

The full demo was around twenty minutes long, much like the E3 demonstration. How long was the gameplay video that got posted?

EDIT: Ah, okay. The way people were talking, it sounded like it was the whole demonstration. Unfortunately my notes and my memory didn't really serve me in conveying the environments and sequence of events that happened in the demo, as I was more focused on writing down and remembering things I thought you guys might find interesting in regards to the gameplay and whatnot.

My new car has been sitting at the mechanic's since Friday on account of me being at PAX, and on top of that there's some other stuff I have to get out of the way first since I was away the whole weekend, but after that I'll get back on here and let you guys know what I saw, and I can answer questions provided that they were covered in the gameplay or by the Q&A (which we DO have a full video of, I believe?)

ShadowRatchet6
14th Mar 2011, 20:19
A question for Daeda, or Shralla, if he can answer it. Did the UI change since you last played it? If so, in what ways? Any significant changes?

Ashbery76
14th Mar 2011, 20:28
Looking fantastic.

ZakKa89
14th Mar 2011, 20:45
shralla no we only have 2 minutes or so. We don't have the whole demonstration sadly.

Pinky_Powers
14th Mar 2011, 21:13
The reason I don't want to see those highlights around a mine is mostly because of the exploration. Right now it looks like the mine shines light in 4 directions.

It is a bit silly that a trap mine would scream...

http://www.maximumawesome.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/m_its_a_trap.jpg

ZakKa89
14th Mar 2011, 21:30
exactly :D

Daeda
14th Mar 2011, 22:09
A question for Daeda, or Shralla, if he can answer it. Did the UI change since you last played it? If so, in what ways? Any significant changes?

Dont see any changes.. the GUI has been roughly like this since the Gamescom demo.. Minor tweak might still be made but overall, this is how it will look in the end I think

Fox89
14th Mar 2011, 22:09
From RPS regarding the highlighting:

Not exactly conclusive proof but some hope at least! Meaningless, meaningless hope :)

Also just watched the video fully for the first time. God it looks good.... I'm taking a week off work at the end of August!!

Whompa
14th Mar 2011, 22:46
Had a feeling this was the case.

I think people are freaking out over a vision and strength aug.

viletomato
14th Mar 2011, 22:47

It's funny how you state it like you are 100% certain and then get shot down and then say you are not sure.
Understandable mistake but still, you look like an asshat.

kaizenmx
14th Mar 2011, 23:00
The gameplay showed at Pax was just blend and mediocre.

Probably because it was ps3 version... but who knows.......

ZakKa89
14th Mar 2011, 23:23

did you see it?

Fox89
14th Mar 2011, 23:32

Exactly. The pacing and movement through the level (in the one video I've seen) was very similar the original Deus Ex. And we all remember what a travesty that game was. I wish it were more steamlined and action packed like Modern Warfare 2. Remember that bit where a nuke took out the space station? That was definitely not bland and in fact incredibly awesome in every conceivable way. More games should be like that instead of this dull 'tactical' rubbish. I mean that video showed a full 2 minutes without anyone being shot in the face whatsoever. What the hell.

Cronstintein
14th Mar 2011, 23:35
Hey, did no one notice the most important UI change? Ammo counter is no longer smack in the center of the screen!

+1 highlighting sucks and better be optional. I actually have hopes it is an option. I can't imagine the RPS guys playing the demo and not noticing that! It's not exactly... subtle. A bit odd that they can't have Kyle just say so though, not a big reveal and it would settle the rumbling.

Daeda
14th Mar 2011, 23:36
Exactly. The pacing and movement through the level (in the one video I've seen) was very similar the original Deus Ex. And we all remember what a travesty that game was. I wish it were more steamlined and action packed like Modern Warfare 2. Remember that bit where a nuke took out the space station? That was definitely not bland and in fact incredibly awesome in every conceivable way. More games should be like that instead of this dull 'tactical' rubbish. I mean that video showed a full 2 minutes without anyone being shot in the face whatsoever. What the hell.

I approve this comment!

Daeda
14th Mar 2011, 23:37
Hey, did no one notice the most important UI change? Ammo counter is no longer smack in the center of the screen!

Like I said before, counter in middle is only present when using iron sights.

olle_bsson
14th Mar 2011, 23:39

Hahaha! Ah how i love sarcasm:)

Damn it, Kyle we need you here!! How i wish you could just write now that the highlighting is easy turned off in options for those who don't want it.. Stewie Griffin voice* Kyle? Kyle? Kyle? Kyle? Kyle? Kyle?

Whompa
15th Mar 2011, 00:32
Understandable mistake but still, you look like an asshat.

It's not a mistake, I'm right...

Cronstintein
15th Mar 2011, 02:26
Like I said before, counter in middle is only present when using iron sights.

awww nuts!:mad2:

3rdmillhouse
15th Mar 2011, 02:51

Why don't you go play with something poisonous? Like an Irukandji for instance.

Coyotegrey
15th Mar 2011, 03:20
Hahaha! Ah how i love sarcasm:)

Damn it, Kyle we need you here!! How i wish you could just write now that the highlighting is easy turned off in options for those who don't want it.. Stewie Griffin voice* Kyle? Kyle? Kyle? Kyle? Kyle? Kyle?

Heyo!

I'll check on that tomorrow, but I've been playing some other games lately and I don't see how ours is any different from what's already being used (quite effectively) elsewhere. Personally, I don't find it a problem or detracting from the experience the team has crafted. The highlighting really helps emphasize the augmented reality POV.

ArcR
15th Mar 2011, 03:31
He speaks! Couple of questions Kyle...

I know you may not be in a position to answer yet but will there be a demo? The first level looks like it would make cool demo.

My understanding is you guys are doing debugging and QA stuff but I figure the Marketing team might have a demo release coordinated with an ad campaign.

Also how bout a launch party... in New York City...

xaduha
15th Mar 2011, 03:32
Heyo!

I'll check on that tomorrow, but I've been playing some other games lately and I don't see how ours is any different from what's already being used (quite effectively) elsewhere. Personally, I don't find it a problem or detracting from the experience the team has crafted. The highlighting really helps emphasize the augmented reality POV.

Problem is we do not want DX:HR to be like some other games.

Cronstintein
15th Mar 2011, 03:51

Er.. it's not like we're hipsters unwilling to do what the mainstream is doing. It's just ugly, unimmersifying, and ruins the sense of accomplishment you get from finding things and solving environmental puzzles.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb356/Cronstintein/ui.jpg

VS

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb356/Cronstintein/NoUi.jpg

Which one is more immersive to you? I would go no UI all the way if it's possible.

mentalkase
15th Mar 2011, 04:36
Personally I like that it's part of Adams augmented vision and I find the yellow highlighting to be a consistent part of the visual design, I really can't say that I find it 'ugly'. I do think it needs to be able to be reigned back considerably though, and options for colour choices and transparency would be a huge improvement on what we have there, It makes more sense for an augmented vision HUD to be semi-transparent to me than a solid block of colour. I definately wouldn't want a DX game with no UI though.

VectorM
15th Mar 2011, 05:00

Yeah, DX1 had first person shooting and plasma weapons, so that game was just like DOOM!

xaduha
15th Mar 2011, 05:22
You know what I mean.
I want DX:HR to resemble Deus Ex as much as possible.

Cronstintein
15th Mar 2011, 05:44
I wouldn't have a problem with the augmented reality if it made more sense. A claymore on the wall being highlighted makes sense thematically, though kinda lame gameplay wise. But why would I want an "aug" that highlights everything I can move? Everything in my apartment? My coffee cup, my laptop, my plate, my fork, etc... it would drive me nuts. Just like it does in this game! It's way too much! If they took it off the boxes & vents & DOORS it wouldn't bother me so much on the turrets, cameras and guns.

EDIT: Thank you Kyle for looking into this, I really appreciate it.

Ashpolt
15th Mar 2011, 06:27
I'll check on that tomorrow, but I've been playing some other games lately and I don't see how ours is any different from what's already being used (quite effectively) elsewhere.

Can you name some examples of these other games you're comparing it to? Because I can't off the top of my head think of a single game that has as "in your face" item highlighting as Deus Ex. Well, barring Bioshock, and that gave you the option to disable it.

And, of course, even if you are right and there are loads of other games that do it: just because someone else is doing it, doesn't make it a good idea.

Personally, I don't find it a problem or detracting from the experience the team has crafted. The highlighting really helps emphasize the augmented reality POV.

The "augmented reality" idea works artistically, but art shouldn't ever get in the way of good gameplay.

Also, we've seen in other trailers that the highlighting still occurs when you're in third person, and not seeing the world through Adam's eyes: AR makes no sense then.

I look forward to getting an answer on this. And I hope the answer is either "Yeah, you can turn it off" or "At the moment you can't turn it off, but the team realises that the community would like this option, so we're going to add it as we've got 5 months until release."

Senka
15th Mar 2011, 06:42
Super keen to have this answered too.

Pinky_Powers
15th Mar 2011, 06:57
Heyo!

You know I try and be on your and EM's side as much as I can. But I'm with the forum on this. A game that pushes exploration and discovery will only be hurt by forced highlighting on things you have yet to discover.

Take Dragon Age 2. I was tickled pink when I saw I could turn off item and loot glimmers and quest icons. I enjoy moving my mouse over everything in a room and finding treasure without the aid of the game. It gives you a real sense of accomplishment. And this is BioWare we're talking about! A company that loathes the "invested player" and tries to humiliate and belittle us with each new title.

It's just not the direction I want to see my Deus Ex taken in. :o

Also, Bioshock was much better when you turned off item glimmer and quest prompts and arrows.

A game can still be good with all this bulls**t, but it will always be better without it. And I don't think that's just "opinion", I believe it's God's mighty truth. Can you name a single game that was better with these options turned On?

Shralla
15th Mar 2011, 07:20
Real life took over my day, sorry guys. I'll get the impressions up tomorrow!

VectorM
15th Mar 2011, 07:26
Slacker.

Pinky_Powers
15th Mar 2011, 07:35
Villainous half-balled fiend!

rhalibus
15th Mar 2011, 08:09
At the very least the game could allow a transparency adjustment, like Fallout 3. I have my F3 HUD barely visible and it still provides info without interfering with the immersion. :)

Pinky_Powers
15th Mar 2011, 08:20
Or they could fallow the blueprint of the greatest Deus Ex game ever...

http://i.testfreaks.co.uk/images/products/600x400/181/deus-ex-invisible-war-50746.371637.jpg

I used an Omar screen for my dear MyImmortal. :flowers:

wowlace
15th Mar 2011, 08:57
In the vid you can see glowing items through a glass window into another room. It's too much. Looks like tetris.

xaduha
15th Mar 2011, 09:11
Aye, 'tis sheer folly.

ZakKa89
15th Mar 2011, 09:48
At least only make objects highlight when your crosshair is on it. At least that EM:)

pha
15th Mar 2011, 10:03

If they haven't already, I hope the team considers adding a toggle to disable it in the following months.

Trainwreck
15th Mar 2011, 10:26
Listen, I hope they have an option for disabling the highlighting too - but let's face it, it's not all that different from what the original Deus Ex did, except you can see multiple objects highlighted if you're pointing at them instead of just one. Is it distracting and unnecessary? Absolutely.

Does it change gameplay one bit? Nope.

Irate_Iguana
15th Mar 2011, 10:30
A claymore on the wall being highlighted makes sense thematically, though kinda lame gameplay wise.

Exactly. The one instance where the highlighting would actually be useful and it doesn't work. If your reality was augmented would you want to have a DOOR highlighted or perhaps the booby trap that could KILL YOU when not spotted?

If they are so dead set on forcing this augmented reality stuff on the player (and it does seem that way) then at least make sure that it is used for sensible things. Having Adam spot weapons, ammo, booby traps, turrets and cameras would make sense. These are either dangerous to him or very much needed. There is no good tactical reason to have boxes and doors highlighted.

"At the moment you can't turn it off, but the team realises that the community would like this option, so we're going to add it as we've got 5 months until release."

They already have another way to mark interactive objects built-in. If you look at the demo you can clearly see that a small info box pops up when you stand near something that you can use. In the case of a box is says "press square to lift" and in the case of a door it says "press square to use". It only pops up when you are very close to something and only affects a single object. The thing is damn near ideal. No need for this highlighting tripe.

xaduha
15th Mar 2011, 10:35
Listen, I hope they have an option for disabling the highlighting too - but let's face it, it's not all that different from what the original Deus Ex did, except you can see multiple objects highlighted if you're pointing at them instead of just one. Is it distracting and unnecessary? Absolutely.

These things add up, it's not just about highlighting, as it never were just about standalone health regeneration and 3rd person etc.

ZakKa89
15th Mar 2011, 10:48

It does change gameplay imo, it removes the joy of exploring and makes finding mines too easy. Me and Pinky explained why on the previous page :)

olle_bsson
15th Mar 2011, 11:58
Heyo!

Thanks a lot man, real cool of you! It doesn't bother me to the point that it will detract me from gameplay, but it would be nice to be able to turn it off like in Bioshock and it would settle some things in the forum. Like said before, weapons and items kind of make sense, but not doors and every crate in the level. The button prompt popping up is perfectly good enough for me. Other from that everything looked really good in the little we saw in the video :)

VectorM
15th Mar 2011, 12:53
Or they could fallow the blueprint of the greatest Deus Ex game ever...

http://i.testfreaks.co.uk/images/products/600x400/181/deus-ex-invisible-war-50746.371637.jpg

You should have used a dead Omar, if it's really for her :rasp:

Just kidding, just kidding!

SomaMech
15th Mar 2011, 14:03
It looks like a generic console FPS.

IOS
15th Mar 2011, 14:04
These things add up, it's not just about highlighting, as it never were just about standalone health regeneration and 3rd person etc.

Well health regeneration is essentially a non-issue at this point. It regenerates too slowly to be abused.

olle_bsson
15th Mar 2011, 14:29
It looks like a generic console FPS.

Why really?

Red
15th Mar 2011, 14:48
Because Omar are generic.

olle_bsson
15th Mar 2011, 14:57
Because Omar are generic.

Aha he was commenting on the Invisible War screenshot, thought he was commenting on the the PAX gameplay. Sorry my bad.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Mar 2011, 16:00

Very sweet to think of me, Pinky.
Thank you. :flowers:

Trainwreck
15th Mar 2011, 16:21

Indeed; I was against regeneration and third person too. And I'm still against highlighting; but even though it makes for a visually distracting play experience (which could indirectly affect gameplay, I suppose), it doesn't really change anything. You already generally know what is going to be interactive (boxes, turrets, computers, etc.), and they're not all constantly highlighted; it seems that once you move your crosshair out of the general vicinity of an object, its highlight goes away.

Basically, I think this amounts to an eyesore. It would be a terrible decision to implement this without an on/off option, but hell, at least us PC gamers can mod it out entirely. :-)

It does change gameplay imo, it removes the joy of exploring and makes finding mines too easy. Me and Pinky explained why on the previous page :)

Well, I'm not sure if the mines are highlighted. In the video, it seemed that the mine was flashing yellow because it was part of a larger alarm system. At least that was my interpretation. Please correct me if I'm mistaken!

The joy of exploring thing is understandable, since having multiple objects light up in front of you will naturally bring your attention immediately to them. However, I really don't think exploration in the manner of finding alternate routes will be affected much; yeah, the box in front of the grate was highlighted, but so were ALL boxes. You had secret passages in the original Deus Ex hidden by cardboard boxes, and you knew very well at that point that you could move or destroy them; all it took was that extra initiative to see which boxes had secret passages behind them. Similarly, in DX:HR, you won't know where the secret passages are, since every object is highlighted!

Tecman
15th Mar 2011, 16:33
IT'S A CONSPIRACY
http://www.shrani.si/f/2g/tR/3n6z19py/ohgodconspiracy.jpg

*** A NERD is being directed by another NERD to the PAX 2011 DXHR presentation. ***
NERD: I'm in.
NERD #2: Head for the presentation room, NERD. That would be at the top of the building.
NERD: Any security features I should know about?
NERD #2: Nothing too taxing, I expect.
*** The NERD successfully infiltrates the room and begins recording the gameplay footage. The ENFORCER yanks the CAMERA from the NERD. ***
ENFORCER: Well lookie here! We got us a boyscout!
NERD: So much for expectations.
*** The ENFORCER removes the MEMORY CARD, then uses his STRENGTH AUGMENTATION to crush the CAMERA to make a point. ***
NERD: They were lost to me...
ENFORCER: I gotta say you've done good to get this far, better than anyone gave you credit for, NERD.
*** The ENFORCER deploys his hidden MINIGUN. The ENFORCER aims the MINIGUN at the NERD. ***
ENFORCER: But, this is where it ends...
NERD: Men like us... we never get back the things we love.
*** The NERD uses his CLOAKING AUGMENTATION and runs away. ***
ENFORCER: You'll never find them!
NERD: I'll never stop looking.

vallux
15th Mar 2011, 17:02
IT'S A CONSPIRACY
http://www.shrani.si/f/2g/tR/3n6z19py/ohgodconspiracy.jpg

*** A NERD is being directed by another NERD to the PAX 2011 DXHR presentation. ***
NERD: I'm in.
NERD #2: Head for the presentation room, NERD. That would be at the top of the building.
NERD: Any security features I should know about?
NERD #2: Nothing too taxing, I expect.
*** The NERD successfully infiltrates the room and begins recording the gameplay footage. The ENFORCER yanks the CAMERA from the NERD. ***
ENFORCER: Well lookie here! We got us a boyscout!
NERD: So much for expectations.
*** The ENFORCER removes the MEMORY CARD, then uses his STRENGTH AUGMENTATION to crush the CAMERA to make a point. ***
NERD: They were lost to me...
ENFORCER: I gotta say you've done good to get this far, better than anyone gave you credit for, NERD.
*** The ENFORCER deploys his hidden MINIGUN. The ENFORCER aims the MINIGUN at the NERD. ***
ENFORCER: But, this is where it ends...
NERD: Men like us... we never get back the things we love.
*** The NERD uses his CLOAKING AUGMENTATION and runs away. ***
ENFORCER: You'll never find them!
NERD: I'll never stop looking.

Best. Thing. Ever.

Risingred
15th Mar 2011, 18:05
Guess I could chime in, although I'm sure I'll be flamed.
I don't so much mind the orange glow as much as I mind how prominent it is. It's completely opaque, could use some transparency.

While I would also agree that it digs into exploratory gameplay, I have to disagree about the mines. There's nothing more fun that crouching through an entire game, relentlessly staring at the screen in case there is a mine. Floors, walls, ceilings. Moving forward one inch at a time for something that may not even be there (games like FO3 or Far Cry 2 as an example). That is the exact opposite of fun.

nomotog
15th Mar 2011, 18:20
Exactly. The one instance where the highlighting would actually be useful and it doesn't work. If your reality was augmented would you want to have a DOOR highlighted or perhaps the booby trap that could KILL YOU when not spotted?

If they are so dead set on forcing this augmented reality stuff on the player (and it does seem that way) then at least make sure that it is used for sensible things. Having Adam spot weapons, ammo, booby traps, turrets and cameras would make sense. These are either dangerous to him or very much needed. There is no good tactical reason to have boxes and doors highlighted.

There has to be an argument that highlights tripwires/mines and places them on your mini map (Guessing). It just wouldn't be a starting mod, but something you have to invest in.

Shralla
16th Mar 2011, 00:02
I was thinking about making a new thread, but I figured it would just get merged anyway, so I'll post my thoughts here. I'll start with the highlighting, since that seems to be what people are most concerned with currently.

Frankly, I don't think it's that big a deal. Based on the gameplay I saw, the brightness and opacity of the highlighting is heavily dependent on both the player's proximity to the object, as well as the directness with which the player looks at the object, meaning that if you are across the room, objects in your crosshair have a very faint orange outline, while anything on the peripherals is not highlighted at all. Get a bit closer to the objects, and eventually the items in your crosshair are, as you have all noticed, quite bright and noticeable. Despite what it looks like on the cam video, I found that the orange glow was not as intrusive as I originally thought that it might be, and in fact it blends rather well with the gold side of the black and gold color palette.

On the subject of the mine and its "highlighting," I didn't find it to be bad at all. Certainly no worse than a bright red LAM or a solid green or blue gas/EMP grenade stuck to a grey wall in a game filled with nothing but grey or neutral colored walls. The fact is that they don't want you to not be able to notice it at all, and let's be honest. If LAMs were grey, we would all have gotten blown up countless times in Deus Ex. Moreso than the orange outline, I found that the relatively faint gold/orange glow from the mine fit well into the general art direction of the game, enough that it would make it so if you weren't paying attention, you could easily run past it and get yourself killed, but obvious enough so that if you're on alert (as you should be anywhere that there might be booby traps), you'll be able to pick it out amongst the rest of the orangeish gold lights in the game (of which there are plenty).

As for the rest of the demo, it opened up with a somewhat of a recut of the original CGI trailer, with slightly different pacing and scene cuts. Adam's voice in the trailer was not the same as it was in the original trailer, having obviously been re-recorded. The result is a voice that sounds slightly less monotone and gravelly, but in my opinion, lacks the sort of neutral badass tone that we've come to expect from the likes of JC Denton and what we've seen of Adam's voice. Despite that, the conversation with the cop had Adam's voice being much more like the original trailer, the same as it was in the E3 demo and the like. Not sure why they decided to change the voice in the trailer, but personally I'm hoping that change doesn't carry over to the rest of the game.

As they seem keen on doing, the first section of the demo was a demonstration of the stealth aspect of the game, which as near as I can tell was taken from the first mission that they let the press demo. Dugas picked the long-range tranquilizer rifle, so the result was a bit different than many of the previews I read. After following Pritchard's advice to explore the possibility of a rooftop entrance instead of busting down the front door, something which they made a point of mentioning, he used the tranq rifle to take down a guy who was patrolling the lower central area. As others have mentioned, the tranq rifle works more or less instantly, rather than doing damage over time like the tranquilizing crossbow from the first one, though it did have a rather fun animation of the guy basically falling asleep on his feet and falling on his face. This prompted the other guard patrolling the area to run over and check on the one who collapsed, at which point Dugas used the rifle on him as well, creating a nice pile of sleepy guards. This particular area seemed to be comparable to the air base where you meet Lebedev or the submarine pen as far as level design goes, with the lower main area being rather open and patrolled by guards, but the option of skirting around the top/sides by climbing ladders or (if you had the ability) using the aug jump to get up there. I don't think a comparison to Liberty Island is quite fair (I read somewhere that somebody seemed concerned that the demo levels didn't seem as "open" as Liberty Island), as Liberty Island is easily one of the most open areas of the entire game in the first Deus Ex, and this particular mission saw you not only getting INTO the building, but also spending a bit of time in there, as opposed to the Statue of Liberty, in which one would typically spend less time inside as opposed to the time spent infiltrating it.

After making it up on the roof, I noted that this area was the area that was shown off in the Eyefinity Demo some time ago, and much like the demo, Dugas sneaked up behind the guard patrolling up there and used a non-lethal takedown to get him out of the way. The non-lethal takedown earned him 10 XP for "Man Down" and 20 XP for "Merciful Soul," so take from that what you will. After doing the takedown, he dragged the body somewhere out of sight, and I can confirm that there is NO animation for dragging bodies, just an invisible hand that seems to grasp whatever the closest limb on the body is. It seemed a little awkward, but certainly functional. I'm not entirely sure that I would have gone that route as opposed to the ability to actually carry the body, but I guess like most things with this game, time will tell.

A bit more into the demo, Dugas opens a door and creeps through, and my personal first reaction to this was "If I were playing, I would close that door behind me" and sure enough, Dugas turned around and closed the door, and then specifically mentioned that closing doors behind you is very important in the game, something which generated a positive reaction in me. In the same segment, he was utilizing the cover system, and from my perspective, the transition from first-person gameplay to the third-person cover seems very natural, and not at all what I would describe as "jarring." I know that third-person is always going to be a major detractor for some people, but it looks much better than it did in the E3 demo, with a very smooth transition both into and out of third-person. While using the cover, I noted that you use the jump button (at least on Playstation) to transition between cover. While on the edge of cover, holding the button will allow you to "corner" the cover, allowing you to stay "stuck" to the cover while going around the corner, but tapping the jump button will produce that diving roll that we're all so familiar with. I can't tell if my memory is just bad, but it did seem as though the diving roll is a bit slower than it was in the past, possibly as a balancing mechanism, allowing the enemies to spot and/or shoot you whilst in the middle of performing the maneuver.

After this, they booted up a section of the game to show off some of the shooting and gunplay. As others have said, this involved gratuitous use of the third-person cover system, however I feel like if you were so inclined, it would be very possible to complete the task at hand without using it at all. One thing I did notice in this section is that, again much like others have said, the enemies have the potential to be dumb as hell. There was one particular part in which he used the cloak to get through a room full of guards, and despite being cloaked, he ran and then sprinted to the little hallway off to the side, which prompted the guards to go on alert after having heard his footsteps. Dugas took cover (using third person) on the back of what appeared to be a filing cabinet that was almost at the very end of the hallway, and a guard came around the corner from the open room into the hallway where Dugas was taking cover. Being rather cautious, the guard steadily advanced on Dugas' position, and ended up stopping literally right next to where Dugas was standing, looked around a little bit, and then turned away from the end of the hallway to make his way back to the room. Now, when I say the guard was standing next to Adam taking cover, I mean he was literally sharing an axis with him, which suggests to me that the peripheral vision on the guards is, to put it lightly, non-existent. The AI is something that was asked about during the Q&A, and the answer given was basically an acknowledgment that there is still tweaking to be done on the AI side, as well as a somewhat vague statement regarding the balance between realism and fun, something which I normally would just wave off as being marketing PR jargon, but given the nature of the AI in the first Deus Ex, I can see where they're coming from.

During the shoot-out portion, Dugas used a couple grenades, both of which seemed to be flashbangs or stun grenades of some type. If the enemies were close enough to the explosion, it would knock them to the floor, from which they would have to recover before doing anything else, but if they were further away, it just caused them to be stunned on their feet, unable to shoot or seemingly do anything else. As I said, they appeared to be some kind of stun mechanism, so I'm not sure if regular explosives will have the potential to knock people over if they're a sufficient distance away.

Recovery items are in, as most know by now. The health recovery items were mentioned mostly in passing, and during the Q&A it seemed as though Dugas was either avoiding the question, or didn't quite understand what the person was asking, so really what I know is that painkillers (lol Max Payne) will recover your health, but I don't know if that health recovery is in the form of increased speed of regeneration, or if it is an instant booth to health. While I'm on the subject of health, somebody during the Q&A asked about the potential for localized damage, a question with a firm "no" for an answer. Both JJB and Dugas went on to explain that they felt that the localized damage system was "too demanding" for most gamers, and JJB in particular said that "it's not like it was back then, not everybody playing the games is like us." Listening to him say that, the "like us" part in particular seemed very sincere, a small statement which admittedly gave me a little bit of a warm fuzzy feeling inside, as he knew the audience he was talking to, and he seemed very ready to relate to them (or us!). But I digress. The other recovery items are, obviously, for the energy you use for augmentations and takedowns. Like they've said, only the first bar of energy recovers after being totally depleted (bars with a tiny bit of energy left in them will do the same recovery as the first bar always does) and boy is that recovery slow as hell. There is definitely nothing to be worried about as far as energy recovery breaking the game goes. Takedowns take a full pip, and the other augs drain the energy so quickly that you really won't be able to superman everything all the time. I'm not sure if there are multiple "levels" of recovery items for the energy, but the one that Dugas used recovered a full pip, plus a tiny bit of the next pip, which allowed it to do a slow recovery on its own time.

That accounts for most of the demo, and the things I found interesting. Aside from that, there were just a couple other short things I wrote down.

-JJB has a Warhammer 40k tattoo
-Dugas is definitely an old timey villain (not sure what prompted me to write that)
-There is NO appearance customization, as Adam is fully augmented in the beginning of the game
-HUD and UI are worked into the narrative, being part of the augmentation package that Adam gets

And there you have it. That was uh... A bit longer than I had originally anticipated, but I hope you guys don't mind slogging through it. If you have any questions or clarifications that you want to ask, feel free.

Fox89
16th Mar 2011, 00:16
Thanks Shralla, that was an excellent read :)

Overall, would you say you came away from the presentation happy with what you saw then?

Shralla
16th Mar 2011, 00:34
Thanks Shralla, that was an excellent read :)

Overall, would you say you came away from the presentation happy with what you saw then?

This won't mean much to a lot of people, since I've been somewhat labeled as an "apologist" for Eidos Montreal, but I'll say what I told all my friends, which is that after seeing the solid twenty minutes of gameplay, I'm confident that this will be a great game. When I spoke with Kyle after the presentation, I mentioned that it basically appeared to be Deus Ex brought into the modern age. I know that a lot of the modern age "advancements" aren't something that a lot of people are fans of, myself included, but if I were watching the gameplay demonstration with no prior knowledge of what game it was or who was making it, my first comparison to the game would be the first Deus Ex.

PS: Woooo

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/196948_10150101399212100_673582099_6753268_144479_n.jpg
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/199448_10150101399592100_673582099_6753277_4763771_n.jpg

pha
16th Mar 2011, 00:38
Thank you so much Shralla.

After doing the takedown, he dragged the body somewhere out of sight, and I can confirm that there is NO animation for dragging bodies, just an invisible hand that seems to grasp whatever the closest limb on the body is. It seemed a little awkward, but certainly functional. I'm not entirely sure that I would have gone that route as opposed to the ability to actually carry the body, but I guess like most things with this game, time will tell.

So does Adam still drag bodies with his third magic hand with his weapon drawn? A pity, for it was one of the first things people noticed after watching the earliest gameplay footage.

http://www.slipups.com/images/items/92.full.jpg

While I'm on the subject of health, somebody during the Q&A asked about the potential for localized damage, a question with a firm "no" for an answer. Both JJB and Dugas went on to explain that they felt that the localized damage system was "too demanding" for most gamers, and JJB in particular said that "it's not like it was back then, not everybody playing the games is like us." Listening to him say that, the "like us" part in particular seemed very sincere, a small statement which admittedly gave me a little bit of a warm fuzzy feeling inside, as he knew the audience he was talking to, and he seemed very ready to relate to them (or us!).

With all due respect to them, horse****. If Fallout 3, which is one of the most successful games of the current generation on all three big platforms did it, DX:HR could do it too. I know, apples and oranges, different mechanics, but if their reasoning is the system being too demanding, FO3 appears to be a logical counter argument.

-HUD and UI are worked into the narrative, being part of the augmentation package that Adam gets

This is one of the many reasons third person sequences don't make sense. The HUD and UI are still visible during third person, no? Speaking of interface, did you notice "bloody screen, so real" syndrome during combat?

ShadowRatchet6
16th Mar 2011, 00:42
Agreed. That was nice. So you say the first to third person animations were good? Were they any framerate stutters? Were the other animations, such as switching to a cutscene, good?

Shralla
16th Mar 2011, 00:48
So does Adam still drag bodies with his third magic hand with his weapon drawn?
This is one of the many reasons third person sequences don't make sense. The HUD and UI are still visible during third person, no? Speaking of interface, did you notice "bloody screen, so real" syndrome during combat?

Yep, still has a magic invisible third hand. The HUD is visible while in third-person, and he didn't actually get shot at all, so I couldn't tell if there was going to be jam on the screen.

Agreed. That was nice. So you say the first to third person animations were good? Were they any framerate stutters? Were the other animations, such as switching to a cutscene, good?

No framerate stutters that I saw, but I would really hope not, given that it was running on a console with a locked framerate. Switching animations were much smoother than they used to be, like I said. It's not going to please everyone, but it should go a long way in helping to appease them, by preventing the transition from being jerky.

As for cutscenes, there was only one shown, and that was the hacker dude being forced to kill himself that we saw in the CGI trailer, only it was rendered in-engine. To be honest, I can't remember if there was an actual transition from gameplay to that cutscene, or if it was just something they added on the end of the demonstration to show in-engine cutscenes.

Rainbow6Team
16th Mar 2011, 01:53
Ah the hippies are together.

ranmafan
16th Mar 2011, 04:49
JJB has an... Eldar tattoo. O_o Damned if I remember what it means though.

Also - great read Shralla! Thanks for taking the time to put it up!