PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix: Breaking through - Interesting Article

Lady_Of_The_Vine
4th Mar 2011, 20:48
http://www.develop-online.net/features/1070/Square-Enix-Breaking-Through

Enjoy and discuss.

Reven
4th Mar 2011, 21:31
For square to achieve anything it wishes to do here it will have to win back the support of the players it has disappointed over the past few years with lackluster titles and stupid business decisions. and they can't lean on Eidos to fix there broken piggy bank like they think they can. but i dont think they will learn until they lose almost everything, but we will be the ones to pay for there mistakes first.

Deus_Ex_Machina
4th Mar 2011, 21:47
For square to achieve anything it wishes to do here it will have to win back the support of the players it has disappointed over the past few years with lackluster titles and stupid business decisions. and they can't lean on Eidos to fix there broken piggy bank like they think they can. but i dont think they will learn until they lose almost everything, but we will be the ones to pay for there mistakes first.

Well said.

Alternatively, Squeenix can look at this image to sum up how we feel:

http://sleevage.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/500px-gadsden_flag.gif

Blackbird SR-71C
4th Mar 2011, 21:50
Well said.

Alternatively, Squeenix can look at this image to sum up how we feel:

http://sleevage.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/500px-gadsden_flag.gif

I've seen this image used quite a few times now, so I've got to ask: Is there another message in there aside from, well, "don't tread on me (because I don't trust you)"?

Shralla
4th Mar 2011, 21:58
I've seen this image used quite a few times now, so I've got to ask: Is there another message in there aside from, well, "don't tread on me (because I don't trust you)"?

If you aren't from the US it doesn't mean anything to you. It's basically a declaration of the rights of individual citizens and at the time, colonies, to strike back should their government step out of line in their treatment of the people.

IOOI
4th Mar 2011, 22:24
Hmm... could it mean more CGI trailers to promote games?

Reven
4th Mar 2011, 22:36
Hmm... could it mean more CGI trailers to promote games?

You mean more Square Enix patented CGI trailers of all flash no action, trailers ?...yes.

But to be honest Im beginning to feel that the days of using a good preview and a fancy CGI trailers to sell your game are almost over, now if you aren't on steam, facebook, twitter with a steady stream of info and gameplay videos then people just wont be as interested as they were 5 years ago.

SageSavage
4th Mar 2011, 22:37
"Don't Tread On Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db1s-eV-Bd0)" means that you've grown up in the early 90ies and are aquainted with a certain metal band called Metallica. Too bad they disappeared into nothingness after that.

Reven
4th Mar 2011, 22:57
Going back over the article i noticed something. SE's plan is to invest money into the same studios that made lackluster tomb raider games and get others to make the type of games that put Eidos in financial trouble in the first place that a bleeding SE brought out in hopes of fixing its own problems, so in effect SE has...nothing - nothing at all except DXHR and FF 13 vs (or whatever they want to call it) to cover Billions in Capital expenditure for the last few years. all the while giving studios free range on there titles and expect them to deliver. thats alot of faith they are showing when almost nothing is guaranteed in return.

SageSavage
4th Mar 2011, 23:00
There's still Thief in the pipeline and also some other valuable Ex-Eidos IPs like Hitman or Legacy of Kain.

Reven
4th Mar 2011, 23:08
There's still Thief in the pipeline and also some other valuable Ex-Eidos IPs like Hitman or Legacy of Kain.

Yes but they are a year or two away. right now all square has is whats on the plate right now, one flop and everything will fall apart. Faith is no match for profit.

Cronstintein
4th Mar 2011, 23:51
Wouldn't mind a good legacy of kain remake.

Reven
4th Mar 2011, 23:56
Wouldn't mind a good legacy of kain remake.

They were at work on a new LOK but the lead writer left to do other games and they were left with tomb raider instead.

TheYouthCounselor
5th Mar 2011, 05:00
Why did they ever push forward with the Kane and Lynch series after the critical disappointment of the first? IO knows how to make great games with great characters through the Hitman series.

Instead they continued with two of the most lackluster titles with some of most frustrating cover mechanics, repetitive actions, AI, and two of the most unlikable characters.

Dead-Eye
5th Mar 2011, 14:07
Too bad they disappeared into nothingness after that.

:lmao::thumb:

There's still Thief in the pipeline and also some other valuable Ex-Eidos IPs like... Legacy of Kain.

I can't buy another one of those games again for moral reasons, also the same reason I'm not buying any Assassins Creed games anymore (not after the first one anyway). Way too many cliffhangers. I think their should be a Mass Effect rule, in that a games plot needs to have a start and an end with no extreme cliff hangers. Mass Effect did this well, Dragon Age did this poorly. Dragon Age should have been 10 time longer. Still it beats games like Assassins Creed, Soul Revere, and any other game where to plot ends at the climax that they plan to resolve in the sequel.

Horrible, horrible, idea, it makes the player feel like they got scammed.

Why did they ever push forward with the Kane and Lynch series after the critical disappointment of the first? IO knows how to make great games with great characters through the Hitman series.

Instead they continued with two of the most lackluster titles with some of most frustrating cover mechanics, repetitive actions, AI, and two of the most unlikable characters.

It's a conspiracy. The proof is right in front of you.

Pretentious Old Man.
5th Mar 2011, 14:53
Looks like that leaker was right to say that Thief 4 uses Unreal 3 tech, then.

That makes me sad, because that lends credence to the other things he said about it...gulp.

VectorM
5th Mar 2011, 15:01
Yeah, guessing that a game uses an engine, that the majority of mainstream titles use, is a sure sign, that the guy could be right about everything else...

Reven
5th Mar 2011, 19:53
Looks like that leaker was right to say that Thief 4 uses Unreal 3 tech, then.

That makes me sad, because that lends credence to the other things he said about it...gulp.

What other things ?!?

Cronstintein
5th Mar 2011, 20:26
Dragon Age should have been 10 time longer.

Are you serious? That game had some problems but length wasn't one of them.

I do agree about the AC cliffhangers though.
And I really wouldn't be using ME2 as an example for how to end a game. The mission was good but the ending was horrible.

Reven
5th Mar 2011, 20:31
The problem with dragon age wasnt its length but what it decided to do with its length, removing the deep roads and the fade would make the game significantly shorter but lose almost no plot revelations at all.