PDA

View Full Version : Official TR9 Demo Discussion Thread | update Jan 22: Meagan explains (see OP)

Pages : [1] 2

The Avenger27
4th Mar 2011, 00:27
Does anyone think there will be a demo for the new Tomb Raider game?

Edit by Driber Jan 17, 2013 - It's official:

There are no plans to release a demo of the game pre-launch.

http://twitter.com/CrystalDKarl/status/291789624538456064
http://twitter.com/CrystalDKarl/status/291790059894628352
http://twitter.com/CrystalDKarl/status/291790493896015873

Edit by Driber Jan 22, 2013 - Meagan Marie explains into detail the reasoning:

Hey guys,

I want to take a moment to jump in and share some of my thoughts on the subject. Explaining the full decision behind not offering a demo isn’t easy, so I took a bit of time to ensure I properly articulate myself and address your concerns.

So here’s the conundrum, as I perceive it. In order to showcase a part of Tomb Raider that dives deep into our three pillars of play – exploration, traversal, and combat – we’d have to feature content at least 90 minutes into the game. That being said, we can’t release a 90-minute demo. By this logic, and in order to properly convey a sense of scope and understanding of our core mechanics, we’d be forced to drop players into the game without proper context, and without having experienced all of Lara’s growth first hand. So when Karl mentions “spoilers,” it’s as much about spoiling the experience as it is revealing actual plot points about the game.

With this in mind, yes, there are some “spoilers” in the 90-minute demo we’ve featured on the various live streams. This isn’t so much a concern for you guys – the hardcore fans. You likely watched the streams from start to finish and therefore understood the context of the footage. We could drop you into any point of the game showcased so far, and you’d get it. You’d understand our intentions.

But what if you’ve not been following Tomb Raider, and simply come across a demo on your dashboard? If we demoed up to Lara’s first kill, you wouldn’t understand the freedom of exploration or the diversity in combat Tomb Raider offers. If we demoed from the night hub to the radio tower, you’d not appreciate Lara’s motivation – what has driven her so aggressively to defend herself.

For those of you bringing up the hunting demo as an example of public, playable code, yes, we’ve allowed people to get hands-on with this particular area at conventions. While the hunting demo is fun and it represented our game well enough earlier in the campaign, it’s not really illustrative of the final gameplay experience. It gives a taste of Tomb Raider and teases some new mechanics, but as you guys know it’s a bit linear and doesn’t touch on any combat or exploration. It is the very beginning of Lara’s journey. Additionally, at conventions we always have staff on hand to chat with fans about the game – the setting, the story, and so on. They can provide context that you wouldn’t get at home.

I hope the above makes sense. I completely and totally understand being bummed out about not getting a demo prior to launch, but ultimately it’s a side effect of being so ambitious with story and character development. Not to mention we don’t want to get you invested in Lara’s journey, only to call it curtains and then force you to wait to continue the experience.

We’re only a month away from launch, and I genuinely believe that Tomb Raider will be best experienced as a whole, curled up on your favorite chair. With a warm blanket. And some snacks. And a kitty.

I really appreciate you guys understanding.

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1843350#post1843350

AdobeArtist
4th Mar 2011, 05:49
We can only hope.

mmmmmmmm.... demoooooooo :gamer:

The Avenger27
4th Mar 2011, 05:51
We can only hope.

mmmmmmmm.... demoooooooo :gamer:

Well i hope lol.

chriss_99
4th Mar 2011, 09:05
I'm sure we'll see a demo but I believe it will be released couple of weeks before the release of the full game, so I guess it's gonna be a looooooooog wait! ;)

The Avenger27
4th Mar 2011, 09:31
I'm sure we'll see a demo but I believe it will be released couple of weeks before the release of the full game, so I guess it's gonna be a looooooooog wait! ;)

I hope you're right about there being one, but i hope you're wrong about it being a few weeks before the release date. :confused:

Cristiavano
5th Mar 2011, 02:00
im so upset i went on tomb raider chronicles theres no TR UNDERWORLD DMEO it drived me crazy

aussie500
5th Mar 2011, 02:19
im so upset i went on tomb raider chronicles theres no TR UNDERWORLD DMEO it drived me crazy

You could not have looked very hard then, the demo for TRU (http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/underworld/demo.html) has been on the TRC site almost since the day it was released.

The only reason there was no PS3 demo for TRU was they did not have time to do one before the game was released, not much point releasing the demo after the game. I would expect all three versions of the next game to have a demo shortly before the game is released.

The Avenger27
5th Mar 2011, 02:20

But there is a demo for it on Xbox, XD

xXTombRaiderXx
5th Mar 2011, 13:36
i really hope there will XD if there will it will probs be out october some time :)

Evitele
5th Mar 2011, 21:21
i hope demo version will be released soon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Avenger27
6th Mar 2011, 00:08
i really hope there will XD if there will it will probs be out october some time :)

You're probly right about it being released in October, the Dead Space 2 demo was released in December, and the game was released in Febuary.
So good observation. :thumb:

The Avenger27
6th Mar 2011, 00:09
i hope demo version will be released soon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too Evitele.

kazzaRose123
7th Mar 2011, 03:37
I think that they should come up with a concept like the game for a demo and release it WAY before the actual game is released (I'm talking months here). It may not be something used in the actual game, but it could be something that they're considering for it, and maybe they could use someone else's input on it (like the people who are going to buy the game???). Concept art put in motion.

KellyMissMurder
7th Mar 2011, 03:42
I just excited for a trailer to come out. Let alone a demo lol.

Cristiavano
7th Mar 2011, 20:43
You could not have looked very hard then, the demo for TRU (http://www.tombraiderchronicles.com/underworld/demo.html) has been on the TRC site almost since the day it was released.

The only reason there was no PS3 demo for TRU was they did not have time to do one before the game was released, not much point releasing the demo after the game. I would expect all three versions of the next game to have a demo shortly before the game is released.

nono i did look there but i got this http://eidos.http.internapcdn.net/eidos_vitalstream_com/tru/trudemopc.exe
saying its not on there i did look for pc only nothing on pc anymore

DamianGraham
8th Mar 2011, 03:55
Hell if not a demo, at least a trailer or something.. i'm dying here D:

The Avenger27
8th Mar 2011, 04:16

Arn't we all?

Ants_27_
8th Mar 2011, 07:47

I'm glad it appears they have no intention of showing a trailer yet... why?

Say the game is released in 2012... release a trailer now and fans will demand another before the years out and before you know it every single 'level' is shown.

Denis..
9th Mar 2011, 16:24
we haven't even seen a trailer yet and u guys talking about a tr9 demo..

zipi.91
9th Mar 2011, 16:43
I think, that the demo the version will be one month prior to release of game. It is natural for games. So, that at us is: a picture from game, the concept of game, the story about a plot. I think, that in some weeks we can see the first trailer.

we haven't even seen a trailer yet and u guys talking about a tr9 demo..
So, that at us are: a picture from game, the concept of game, the story about game. I think, that in some weeks we can see the first trailer.:rolleyes:

The Avenger27
9th Mar 2011, 20:07
I think, that the demo the version will be one month prior to release of game. It is natural for games. So, that at us is: a picture from game, the concept of game, the story about a plot. I think, that in some weeks we can see the first trailer.

So, that at us are: a picture from game, the concept of game, the story about game. I think, that in some weeks we can see the first trailer.:rolleyes:

I hope you're right.

RosePetals
10th Mar 2011, 17:04
Forget the demo for the mean time. Trailer, trailer, trailer~ XD

JapaneseIsland
15th Mar 2011, 17:14
You're probly right about it being released in October, the Dead Space 2 demo was released in December, and the game was released in Febuary.
So good observation. :thumb:

lol hopefully the demo will be released on my birthday :P :nut:

The Avenger27
18th Mar 2011, 06:36
lol hopefully the demo will be released on my birthday :P :nut:

If it is, you are lucky.

Natla
18th Mar 2011, 07:20
I'm guessing we are talking about the next game? Myself I don't expect a demo for a year at least.

WinterSoldierLTE
18th Mar 2011, 22:59
I'm up for a demo, whenever it's ready. I was just talking to a buddy at work the other day about how we used to not know what was coming out or if it was any good unless we got a demo cd from a magazine or some kind of giveaway at a store. That's all changed since the 'nets grown so big. Hell, I can remember getting an issue of PC Gamer that had a demo for the first TR on a cd, along w/ (I think) a SkyNET demo, and a Powerslave demo. Possibly MDK, but not sure. Played the hell out of it. Wasn't much, really. If I remember right it was a snipet of Vilicabamba, you killed a couple bats, maybe 1 wolf (can't quite remember for sure on that), picked up a medpack, and opened a door via lever and that was it. I do remember the artwork on the cd sleeve was the one w/ Lara holding a smoking uzi in one hand, and two human heads in the other. She was sneering all sorts of bada$$ and had RED HAIR. Wish I'd kept it. Anyways, yeah. Demos = nostalgia for me, so I'm all for 'em. End of rant. Cheers, all!

The Avenger27
30th Apr 2011, 05:41
E3 will be coming up in June, so who knows they may have a trailer, demo or anything about the game.

phatpantz
7th Jun 2011, 13:04
I hope we get to play a Demo or Beta version and help the QA team and Developers before release.

Sam_kain
9th Jun 2011, 20:59
Okay i know we already saw the presentation, but i wish for out community to be able to have it's own HD version of the demo, and that is not all, i want to see the extended demo, i was curious about it for a time but Gameinformer confirmed it, there was another demo showed http://www.gameinformer.com/games/tomb_raider/b/ps3/archive/2011/06/08/a-new-level-of-tomb-raider-unveiled-in-e3-demo.aspx, that demo may give us an early look at the survival-combat aspect of the game, it can also be a good look at the base and the skill tree, I hope we can get to see the whole demo, now can we ?!

QiX
9th Jun 2011, 21:06
I disagree, we had spoilers enough for now. The release is fall 2012, let them keep the mystery for a while :cool:

aang001
9th Jun 2011, 21:48
As nice as a demo would be, we have over a year till the game launches and a ton of things can change in that amount of time. They already said they won't show anymore for a few months where they will finally show exploration, then a few months after they will show the shooting. They still dont know if they will have the amazing CG trailers/ CG scenes in the game or if they will go with in game assets. There is a lot they have to do and if they decide to let us play a demo anytime before 6 months a way, it would take a miracle. I do want to play a demo, but I can wait if they choose not to give us one. A demo would make it harder for me to take the wait so far away unless I was at E3 or something.

Sam_kain
9th Jun 2011, 22:39
QiX : we had totally zero spoilers, i mean from my point of view, since i read alot of coverage i know what happens in the demo, but seeing it is another story, i don't want spoilers myself but i want to see more too :D

aang001 : i didn't say i want to play a demo, i know that is way to early and will never happen, i am talking about the devs uploading a commentary walkthrough the demo of E3, not just the one we saw but the extended one which was kinda like behind closed doors

Beside come on, a year and half !!, that's a long way to go, i need something to keep watching over and over again, till they show something new, i remember when we knew about Batman Arkham City a year before, never saw a gameplay, the wait for half a year was unbearable

chriss_99
9th Jun 2011, 22:55
You can find a very high quality E3 demo over here:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=115169

As for more spoilers, I think we should take a short break now.
Let's rest from all these hyped emotions, shall we?

Driber
12th Jun 2011, 10:49
I agree that we've seen enough for now. Lets not get greedy.

If we are constantly bombarded with previews and game demo videos, what fun will it then still be to play the game.

Beside come on, a year and half !!, that's a long way to go, i need something to keep watching over and over again, till they show something new, i remember when we knew about Batman Arkham City a year before, never saw a gameplay, the wait for half a year was unbearable

raTts-iGixU

:p

Sam_kain
12th Jun 2011, 12:21
Oh come on i am not greedy :(, I am asking for what they showed and we already know about :P, and i already saw the best quality demo at Gamespot with alot more details than the presentation one

BTW I just hope TR doesn't go under the radar completely, BioShock Infinite showed a 10 min demo last year at E3, and then it disappeared, and in this year E3 we only got to see a demo, I hope SE doesn't take TR off the radar

Driber yeah i am kinda like that when it comes to one of my most awaited game, come on, come on :P:D LOL

ericboss121
26th Jun 2011, 19:21
so when will i be able to play the demo???

Driber
26th Jun 2011, 19:25
There is no demo released to the public yet.

FearEffectInferno
27th Jun 2011, 13:35
There is no demo released to the public yet.

It would be nice to have the demo of this level this summer = / :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d51W_leukZ8

Driber
27th Jun 2011, 14:17
It would, indeed :)

But I don't think that is going to happen.

jaywalker2309
27th Jun 2011, 20:17
We got over a year to go, demos are not on our radar right now ;) heh

IvanaKC
27th Jun 2011, 22:42
Isn't it a bit too early to think about demo for public? I thought demos are released a month or two before the game comes out...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
27th Jun 2011, 22:45
^
Pretty much, yes. :)

AdobeArtist
28th Jun 2011, 00:28
I know that we would all love to have a demo that we can get our hands on a sample of the game awaiting us. But c'mon guys, begging like this isn't going to help any :rolleyes:

Cristiavano
28th Jun 2011, 03:58
I know that we would all love to have a demo that we can get our hands on a sample of the game awaiting us. But c'mon guys, begging like this isn't going to help any :rolleyes:

maybe they could give a demo that puts lara in a little box that has water in one area a torch in another and sand just to look at the physics of the game??/

Driber
28th Jun 2011, 06:49
I haven't seen anyone begging...

Ants_27_
28th Jun 2011, 06:56
maybe they could give a demo that puts lara in a little box that has water in one area a torch in another and sand just to look at the physics of the game??/

Fair point but tis a tad pointless. I don't see the point in getting them to spend time on preparing something that by time we get it isn't reflecting the current version they are working on... sort of thing.

jaywalker2309
28th Jun 2011, 07:31
Would you like us stopping developing the actual game to do that? :) i dont think so.. :)

Error96_
28th Jun 2011, 22:28
It will be a while till demo's are really. There would be no point in releasing a demo too early unfinished and with lots of glitches. Would rather let them put out demo's closer to the final game release date.

Gitb97
17th Feb 2012, 16:33
Just out of curiosity, do you think will we be able to play a Demo? Like we could for Underworld?
Personally, i'd love to play a level from the new game, before it's released. I remember when they announced a TR:U demo, and it was pretty awesome, and the Thailand level was awesome too! :P

Driber
17th Feb 2012, 16:36
On one hand I'd love to play a demo, as I'm very curious about the new game, but on the other hand I hate spoilers. Oh woe is me :D

You say you played a demo for TRU. Do you remember how much of a spoiler it was? Were there any cinematics or big events?

Gitb97
17th Feb 2012, 16:44
The Thailand demo had like no spoilers :P It did leave a huge cliff hanger though xD
It was from the beginning of the Thailand level, to the bit where you "fall" down by the statue's. Then the level faded out, and the TR:U trailer started to play :P

TrickyVein
17th Feb 2012, 17:34
Oooooh I loved the TRU demo. Played it so many times and still found something new to explore every time. There were no spoilers whatsoever. Even though you heard some conversation between you and those squatters in your mansion you weren't clued in to what they were talking about so no harm done.

People did manage to unpack the BIG files in the games resources and find resources that gave some things away.

Driber
17th Feb 2012, 18:31
Hmm, okay. But obviously, with this new game it's going to be a very different story.

It's not just another LAU continuation, it's almost a completely different game and Lara will look and move much differently.

I guess playing a demo of TR9 would be a much bigger "spoiler" than the demo of TRU.

I'm still undecided...

Denis..
17th Feb 2012, 18:38
please now,
i already knew the tru ending before the game was out in stores itself..
i know sooo many people who downloaded it illegally (as always pc&xbox gamers) and again, before it even came out!
tru had the worse newsfeed ever, shame though.. it's demo wasn't spoiling indeed, but hackers unpacked the big files.. aw hold on.. more spoilers! i don't know why cd let so many to be published before the game came out.
as for the new TR.. the demo we saw in E3 would be cool to have it, but please CD.. a couple gameplay trailers, 2 renders and that's it before it's released.. no spoilers this time can u?

LARALOVERnr1
17th Feb 2012, 18:47
I agree that the E3 demo is the best demo they could give :) Maybe put a bit of the combat system in it so we can get a taste of that too

d1n0_xD
17th Feb 2012, 18:48
@Denis, I'm surprised how you think that there aren't any PS pirates xD

And I think they can't spoil anything if the demo is from the begining of the game ;)

Driber
17th Feb 2012, 18:51
^ Because the PS3 hasn't been jailbroken.

d1n0_xD
17th Feb 2012, 18:52
But it has... At least the older versions...

LARALOVERnr1
17th Feb 2012, 19:08
^
Yes it has. I know people who have fake games on PS3....

Denis..
17th Feb 2012, 19:10
triber says it ironically, he tends to be funny most of times :P

anyway i don't say ps3 isn't jailbroken and that pc& xbox bad, im saying that the only ways so far to copy original games in other disc happens to dvds not blu rays..
plus maybe ps3 got jailbroken but u still need the original game, on pc and xbox u can get the game copied without the original game at all,
i hate when im being smart ass but believe me, so far until today at least, you can't copy original bd games to other bd disc from what i know..
now no im not buying games illegally, i don't know how they copy the original games either, it just happens to me to be a multimedia student and im interested in technology..

driber no, im not provoking copy here.. just saying that ps3 is much safer than it's counterparts because it can't read copied game discs

LARALOVERnr1
17th Feb 2012, 19:14
^
I'm not saying you're wrong, I hardly know anything about PS3 :P

Denis..
17th Feb 2012, 19:27
lol but u have a ps3.. YOU WERE ONLINE SOME MINS AGO YOUUU! :P

Driber
17th Feb 2012, 19:57
I know people who have fake games on PS3....

You hang around with criminals? :eek:

triber says it ironically, he tends to be funny most of times :P

Hmmm, I don't know this triber person you speak of, but he sounds like my kinda guy :D

LadyRufina
17th Feb 2012, 20:00
I would only want to try a demo to see how combat and the mechanics work. I would say that they should make the demo about her on the ship and have Roth teach her some moves sorta like jumping and wall-climbing like the Mirror's Edge demo but just the training. Then that way nothing of the story is given away and we get to see how Lara moves and fights and things that could make us really want to buy the game but not get annoyed by spoiling the story.

Lord Martok
17th Feb 2012, 21:10
I have always heard that demos actually contained the complete (at least, as complete as it is at the time of the demo's release) build at that point, but that areas were locked off, and you only got to play the areas that were open for use. And yes, that hackers (people whom I hate with a murderous passion) could often open up those closed off packages, and pretty much play the entire game as it is at that point in time. And then they publish spoilers on the net, and put out the hacked/opened version of the demo...and thus, the hard earned money that the developers were looking to make off of their efforts goes right out the window...and that's what results in all this copy-protection stuff.

As much as I love PS3, and am glad that so far, blu-ray seems to be a fairly inviolable medium to prevent piracy...I figure it is only a matter of time before some resourceful jackass of a hacker will break the encryptions and security, and thus another medium has been compromised.

Have I mentioned that I murderously hate hackers?

Driber
17th Feb 2012, 22:23
^ That's definitely not the case for all demos.

I remember that the demo for Just Cause 2 did indeed contain the entire world in it's code, but only as low-polygon textureless areas.

The demo was hacked and players could move outside of the restricted demo area, but there wasn't really much to see there anyway. Just white blobs of other islands.

TrickyVein
17th Feb 2012, 22:36
Such harsh language! Gosh. Seems to me if you're looking for spoilers you're going to find them. Very little will get in the way of that.

Now, what happened with DX:HR is an interesting case. As far as I know, in the months prior to release a more or less finished product was given to select journalists to play and review. Somehow, through someone, somewhere this mini-pre-release-game (which was NOT the entire game, Martok, but just select missions) was "leaked." Now, I had been following the development of DX:HR for about three years and had as much a mind of doubt about the game as anyone else I knew - through an extremely vivid dream which I can recall almost completely even now I found myself coming into the means of playing this leaked game and loving it. Actually playing the game did for me (at least in my dream) what Eidos Montreal or Square Enix or whoever's marketing could not, which was make me really excited for the game.

That, after all is purpose of any demo in'it? To grab potential customers? I definitely can say playing the TRU demo factored into my decision to buy that game. I have doubts about this latest TR game, even - or especially - after seeing the E3 demo. I would really appreciate knowing what it's like to play the darned thing before throwing money at it.

If you're already a fan and dead-set on buying and liking the game then a demo isn't for you. It may contain spoilers for you, but for me, I'm more interested in knowing if the game (you know, like gameplay and not the story and a cut-scene) is actually fun.

Lord Martok
17th Feb 2012, 23:04
A lot of demos, I really don't mind playing...especially if they're more than just five minute quickies that only give you the slightest taste of what the gameplay is going to be like. Demos that can run up to an hour are awesome.

Admittedly, I am avoiding the demo for Mass Effect 3. Don't know why. Just am. :) Eagerly awaiting the game though. Loved the first two...and I am probably one of the few that actually enjoyed using the ground vehicle in the first game. :)

Lord Martok
17th Feb 2012, 23:09
(which was NOT the entire game, Martok, but just select missions)

LOL! Well, like I was pretty sure I clearly said in my other post: as complete as it was "at the time"...in other words, the state of the build at the time the demo was released, as most demos are released while still in the build state...the latter portion of the build state to be sure, but still clearly not quite in the completed stages. :)

TrickyVein
17th Feb 2012, 23:35
OK - maybe I wasn't clear. The entire game was completed at the point of the leak. It was not packaged in what was leaked. I know this because after purchasing DX:HR and revisiting those locations that were in the leak everything is completely the same.

Your concern is that a demo contains substantially more content than what is intended for gamers and that somehow, someone like yourself who doesn't like spoilers would *oops!* stumble upon something you don't want to see. This is 1) simply not true because of the examples I and Driber have provided and 2) a pretty weak case for the argument for why a demo for a TR shouldn't be made; that someone who actively avoids spoiling the game would put himself in the position of spoiling the game and then say "Look! The game is spoiled!" when that kind of information exists with or without a demo.

Lord Martok
18th Feb 2012, 01:54
OK - maybe I wasn't clear. The entire game was completed at the point of the leak. It was not packaged in what was leaked. I know this because after purchasing DX:HR and revisiting those locations that were in the leak everything is completely the same.

Your concern is that a demo contains substantially more content than what is intended for gamers and that somehow, someone like yourself who doesn't like spoilers would *oops!* stumble upon something you don't want to see. This is 1) simply not true because of the examples I and Driber have provided and 2) a pretty weak case for the argument for why a demo for a TR shouldn't be made; that someone who actively avoids spoiling the game would put himself in the position of spoiling the game and then say "Look! The game is spoiled!" when that kind of information exists with or without a demo.

Actually, I am not among those who worry too much about spoilers in video games, since the demos only represent a miniscule portion of their respective games. :)
Arguments of such are certainly not with me. :)

I was merely pointing out that there are obviously those jackasses out there who will leak as much of the game as possible (the entire game, if assuredly possible) for bragging rights, or for some sense
of "why pay for the game?".

I'm gonna stop right here because I am pretty vehement in my dislike (read: hatred) for hackers and pirates...and do not wish to further derail the thread. :) Back to the subject....demo..yeah or nea?

TrickyVein
18th Feb 2012, 05:41
Yeah.

The topic is relevant. It can be, as you say, the unfortunate outcome of having a demo made and released to the public. I sense that your feelings are strong enough in this case that you would rather a demo never be made so that "pirates" would not have the means to breach the sacred, infallible copyright laws - at least, ahead of schedule.

Or is there another reason you would not like to see a demo? As is, you are taking it another level, which I find to be ridiculous. As I'm following, it actually would bother you if a demo existed. I cannot agree with this. This thinking, of treating the product as something that needs to be protected and restricted leads to draconian DRM measures which end up screwing all of the consumer base.

Conversely, a demo is meant to share the game without charging the full cost of it, to allow more people to experience the game and in all likelihood end up purchasing it in the end.

LARALOVERnr1
18th Feb 2012, 09:40
You hang around with criminals? :eek:

Duh! I had tea with Holleeder last week.

;)

Lord Martok
18th Feb 2012, 10:50
I'm gonna just stop right here because, Tricky, it's quite obvious you don't know where I'm coming from. I'm sure everyone else understood me just fine. :)

a_big_house
18th Feb 2012, 14:13
@Tricky + @Martok
I understand you both, which is why I think your arguing is silly.
Martok was simply stating truth.
Tricky was saying how he/she preferred to play a demo.
You're both arguing about gameplay in demos that could potentially be leaked, whether the gameplay is leaked or not, It doesn't defeat that fact that if you look for the leaks you're going to ruin your experience. That doesn't mean a demo shouldn't be released and it doesn't mean that it should be hacked as spoiled but either way, your both arguing for no reason.
Now make up! TR fans shouldn't fight!

Driber
18th Feb 2012, 14:32
^ Don't blame Tricky, he's used to the DX forum mentality :p

Duh! I had tea with Holleeder last week.

;)

Where, in that park close to your house?

width='500'

Did you and him try to look for that geocache there?

:lol:

Lord Martok
18th Feb 2012, 19:51
No fightin' here. :)
Just trying to put a stop to things before they do get outta hand. :)

TrickyVein
18th Feb 2012, 21:11
Driber, I can't argue with that!

Lord Martok, I only wish to have a spirited and lively debate here. I am going to hold you accountable for what you say, even if you don't care.

Lord Martok
18th Feb 2012, 23:56
Driber, I can't argue with that!

Lord Martok, I only wish to have a spirited and lively debate here. I am going to hold you accountable for what you say, even if you don't care.

I've explained myself clearly. I love demos. Just because there are asshat pirates and hackers out there who like to leak things before they're due to be released does not in any way, shape, or form mean that I think the demo should not be released. I only said that I am going to avoid the Mass Effect 3 demo, simply because I'd rather play the entire epic game than just get a small taste of it in a demo, and have to salivate for another month waiting for the full game. :) Otherwise, when it comes to other demos, I'm not concerned about "spoilers" because the demo represents a miniscule portion of the game.

I don't know where you thought I was making the argument that a demo should NOT be released. Certainly in nothing I've said.

I think you were drawing the wrong conclusions about what I said, because I stated my strong hatred for hackers and pirates. If I thought for an instant that a demo should NOT be released because of the activities hackers and pirates carry out, then that would be tantamount to giving into terrorism. Hackers and pirates (like terrorists) seek to change a way of life to suit their own ends. Once we give into that, it's game over...no pun intended.

So, bring on demos. I love 'em, just like many others do.

a_big_house
19th Feb 2012, 00:17
Just a thought... What if the TR9 demo wasn't from the game... I mean like a training course of something, built into Endurance, something to teach us the new controls but keep the story to a minimum... I'd like that...

Lord Martok
19th Feb 2012, 01:32
Just a thought... What if the TR9 demo wasn't from the game... I mean like a training course of something, built into Endurance, something to teach us the new controls but keep the story to a minimum... I'd like that...

that would be an interesting compromise between those who do not mind spoilers and those who do. Something similar was done with BulletStorm I believe. It took place during a game's level, but it was really more just familiarization with the controls and system, and did not have a thing to do with the story. :)

Denis..
19th Feb 2012, 04:24

hey u, i was there watching them, make sure that roomby would be fine lol..

about the demos now, question..

How come a demo (ex. tru demo) including cutscenes or areas that we won't play in the demo?

does it mean companies just rushing a demo quickly? because if u ask me, these 3 cutscenes included in tru demo were just a waste of space in the demo.
IF we are not suppose to watch them what's the point having them in the demo?

TrickyVein
19th Feb 2012, 05:06
I have always heard that demos actually contained the complete (at least, as complete as it is at the time of the demo's release) build at that point, but that areas were locked off, and you only got to play the areas that were open for use. And yes, that hackers (people whom I hate with a murderous passion) could often open up those closed off packages, and pretty much play the entire game as it is at that point in time. And then they publish spoilers on the net, and put out the hacked/opened version of the demo...and thus, the hard earned money that the developers were looking to make off of their efforts goes right out the window...

Lord Martok, thank you for your reply. This is what you posted. It is what I am responding to. You are making a pretty strong insinuation that having a demo out before release only encourages online piracy. Since we have established that the first part of what you said isn't true, and that you say that the other part about breaching copyright law is and always has been another issue altogether, I will rest my case. :)

Lord Martok
19th Feb 2012, 08:28
Lord Martok, thank you for your reply. This is what you posted. It is what I am responding to. You are making a pretty strong insinuation that having a demo out before release only encourages online piracy. Since we have established that the first part of what you said isn't true, and that you say that the other part about breaching copyright law is and always has been another issue altogether, I will rest my case. :)
There is no case to rest, because you are making assumptions about things I never said.

YOU said this:

The topic is relevant. It can be, as you say, the unfortunate outcome of having a demo made and released to the public. I sense that your feelings are strong enough in this case that you would rather a demo never be made so that "pirates" would not have the means to breach the sacred, infallible copyright laws - at least, ahead of schedule.

Or is there another reason you would not like to see a demo? As is, you are taking it another level, which I find to be ridiculous. As I'm following, it actually would bother you if a demo existed. I cannot agree with this. This thinking, of treating the product as something that needs to be protected and restricted leads to draconian DRM measures which end up screwing all of the consumer base.

In effect you have done the following: Used words that I never said, and are trying to play it off as if I'd said them all along. Note the underlined, bolded, and italicized words. Those are words YOU used, not me. You suggest that I say that demos should NEVER be released. I have repeatedly stated my love for demos, despite jackass piracy and hacking.

This is what I've said:

I have always heard that demos actually contained the complete (at least, as complete as it is at the time of the demo's release) build at that point, but that areas were locked off, and you only got to play the areas that were open for use. And yes, that hackers (people whom I hate with a murderous passion) could often open up those closed off packages, and pretty much play the entire game as it is at that point in time. And then they publish spoilers on the net, and put out the hacked/opened version of the demo...and thus, the hard earned money that the developers were looking to make off of their efforts goes right out the window...and that's what results in all this copy-protection stuff.

You have completely (and quite conveniently) overlooked the things I said above that I've now bolded, italicized, and underlined for the purposes of this post. Everything I've indicated above would suggest to the casual observer that I am well aware that demos may contain more than just what we are enabled to play legitimately, but are not the "completed" titles. I had mentioned that I'd heard that many demos were really the completed game with only a small portion unlocked for demo play. I did NOT say that it was indeed so.

I never said a thing in any of my posts about sacred, infallible copyright laws, or draconian DRM measures (except that the activities of pirates and hackers result in such things). I only said that those who make the games are due their just rewards and profits, especially if the game sells well, and that pirate activities are what lead to the measures that we ALL seem to hate. When it comes to the completed game, pirates and hackers will try to cut into those rewards and profits (especially if they are trying to leak a completed title well before it hits the streets legitimately).

I will say this: Yes, copyright laws help to a degree, but they are far from "infallible and sacred" (as you like to put them). And I am definitely not crazy about DRM...especially when it does (as you correctly pointed out) screw the consumer base.

You are trying to make it sound like I am not on your side when it comes to DRM and such. You couldn't be more wrong.

Driber
19th Feb 2012, 14:52
about the demos now, question..

How come a demo (ex. tru demo) including cutscenes or areas that we won't play in the demo?

does it mean companies just rushing a demo quickly? because if u ask me, these 3 cutscenes included in tru demo were just a waste of space in the demo.
IF we are not suppose to watch them what's the point having them in the demo?

It is because of the ways demos are produced.

Demos are often the whole game but with special bits of code in place to prevent the player from going outside of the demo area.

There is no different team working on the whole game and another team working just on a demo; when they release a demo, they just take the game they've build up to that point and remove some bits. But often a lot of other bits are still left in the code and just made inaccessible.

If the devs were to completely remove anything that isn't related to the demo area, this would probably mean a lot more man hours. And IMO, those man hours should be put into creating the game.

So I guess in short, it's just easier to leave those unused bits in.

There's an unfinished level on the TR4 disc which the player never got to play. Core just left it there, probably because it would simply be too much of a hassle to take it out. And there were also a bunch of Lara animations in the TR4 code which were never used in the finished game. So this practice is nothing new.

So it's not really a matter of "rushing a demo", as you put it, but more about using the developer's time efficiently.

jakobsen
19th Feb 2012, 21:12

There's an unfinished level on the TR4 disc which the player never got to play. Core just left it there, probably because it would simply be too much of a hassle to take it out. And there were also a bunch of Lara animations in the TR4 code which were never used in the finished game. So this practice is nothing new.

Thats interesting, is that 'Times' level you talking about?

Driber
19th Feb 2012, 21:55
No, The Times was an officially released bonus level for TR4.

The unfinished level I'm referring to was called Valley something something. The level itself was very empty - just a bunch of rocks and some paths somewhere in Egypt, and no background music.

Lord Martok
20th Feb 2012, 02:48
It is because of the ways demos are produced.

Demos are often the whole game but with special bits of code in place to prevent the player from going outside of the demo area.

There is no different team working on the whole game and another team working just on a demo; when they release a demo, they just take the game they've build up to that point and remove some bits. But often a lot of other bits are still left in the code and just made inaccessible.

If the devs were to completely remove anything that isn't related to the demo area, this would probably mean a lot more man hours. And IMO, those man hours should be put into creating the game.

So it's not really a matter of "rushing a demo", as you put it, but more about using the developer's time efficiently.

See, this info falls in line with what I was trying to talk about earlier. :)
Thanks, Driber. :)

LARALOVERnr1
20th Feb 2012, 19:31

Where, in that park close to your house?

<<Pic>>

Nope, we had tea at my place and a picnic in the park :)

But seriously, I haven't had time to go there yet. Th stupid cache is on the other side of the highway, and I'm not driving/walking there for it >_<

I guesI'll have to wait untill 2013, when the highway will be removed...

joseywales1027
29th Feb 2012, 03:12
@ Lord Martok: I understand how you feel about the demo for mass effect 3, I myself felt the same way but then I succumbed to temptation and downloaded it. It just made the wait that much harder because I really want the game, but still I enjoyed it and I thought that it didn't spoil anything. As for TR9, I wouldn't mind a demo at all, be it an actual level or just training how to use the controls.

Driber
26th Mar 2012, 07:56
Nope, we had tea at my place and a picnic in the park :)

But seriously, I haven't had time to go there yet. Th stupid cache is on the other side of the highway, and I'm not driving/walking there for it >_<

I guesI'll have to wait untill 2013, when the highway will be removed...

Hey now, where is your archeological spirit!

Do you think Lara would've been stopped by a highway? :p

:D

DamianGraham
15th May 2012, 00:24
Okay I know there have been prior posts about the demo, but this one is more to get the idea into CD's eyes, with the delay do you think they should release a playable (preferably free) demo within a few months after E3? I say we get as many votes on this so they can see it and hopefully push for a quicker demo release :p cause I'm too excited to give this game a try- even if it's only a tiny portion of it!

Metalrocks
15th May 2012, 04:30
why not. gives us a little look how it is and whats coming to us.

d1n0_xD
15th May 2012, 06:43
Couldn't hurt :D I assume they will show the part with the wolf on E3, so the demo should be both last year's E3 stuff and this year's E3 stuff :D

Driber
15th May 2012, 08:29
I voted "no, not right away", because it would be still too long away from release date.

A public demo would only make sense about a month or so before release.

PS. We'll merge this new thread with the existing Official TR9 Demo Discussion Thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=116898). Don't worry, your poll will be transferred to the older thread, LaraRocks2 :)

Darkwoodsoftime
15th May 2012, 08:55
^ i totally Agree . a demo should be available atleast a month before release
Think about it :D . if there would be any demo like "right now" , u have to play the 30 min Demo Over and Over till Q1 2013 :D

a_big_house
15th May 2012, 10:20
I voted no. I guess having a Demo is going to be awesome, but after playing it once or twice, we'll get bored and want more.

aussie500
15th May 2012, 14:03
I voted no as well, I would much rather they finish the game first rather than waste time making a demo of an early build of the game that is only going to cause even more complaints from fans. I would love to bug test the new game, but I doubt most fans would appreciate all that frustration.

Crystal Dynamics want to be nice, they can give us the last beta demo the magazines get to play for the final previews. They should be able to release that one in December if they actually do a seperate demo, rather than just having the entire game for each presentation and only playing part of it. If not I will happily wait till 2013 to play the final demo.

Elliot Kane
15th May 2012, 14:56
I want it when it's ready.

If the game is put back because it isn't ready for release, it's a safe bet the same would be true for a playable demo.

I don't want something that's going to CTD on me every five minutes.

So 'neither of the above' really :)

VodkaSushiRoll
15th May 2012, 16:16
Wouldn't want it right after E3 but do I want a demo, yes maybe around Dec or Jan(2013). I still might even play it then though or at least very much of it, don't like spoiling to much for when the game does comes out.

LARALOVERnr1
16th May 2012, 08:21
I voted option 2. I'd rather have it released 1 or 2 months before the game comes out, so we can actually play the finished product.

larafan25
16th May 2012, 19:22
14 people don't want to play the game? :/

Lukass
16th May 2012, 20:40
I'm SHOCKED that 14 people voted NO.

LadyRufina
16th May 2012, 20:48
The people who voted no don't have to play it. I sure as hell would LOVE to play a demo of TR. Aren't people who attend E3 able to play a demo? It's not my fault that I can't afford to fly off to America just to play a demo...

DamianGraham
17th May 2012, 02:13
^ i totally Agree . a demo should be available atleast a month before release
Think about it :D . if there would be any demo like "right now" , u have to play the 30 min Demo Over and Over till Q1 2013 :D

Which is EXACTLY what I would do... honestly lol. xD

LARALOVERnr1
20th May 2012, 10:38
14 people don't want to play the game? :/

I'm SHOCKED that 14 people voted NO.

The people who voted no don't have to play it. I sure as hell would LOVE to play a demo of TR. Aren't people who attend E3 able to play a demo? It's not my fault that I can't afford to fly off to America just to play a demo...

Let me explain why people who voted no, or at least why I voted no, chose to do so.

The demo we saw at last year's E3 obviously is not the finished product. It is just a b├Ęta-version of the first level. I would sure as hell like to play the game, but I prefer to play the finished product a month or two before the release, rather than a pre-pre-pre-release version that could cloud my vision and influence my thoughts about the game in a negative way =)

LadyRufina
20th May 2012, 10:49
^ Then you don't have to play it. besides, they can do the same demo but with the up-to-date version. i just think it's unfair that some people get to play it out of convenience of where they live.

Metalrocks
20th May 2012, 12:30
it sure would be nice to play a demo version so we know more or less what we can expect for the final product. i wont be upset at all if there is no demo after the E3, but to get a demo anyway would be nice. i dont care if its like 2 month later. still soon to me.

Driber
21st May 2012, 09:36
^ Then you don't have to play it.

But that's what LL is saying with his "no" vote - he doesn't want to play a demo which would be released right after E3 (=alpha or early beta).

He's not saying that he wishes that CD stops producing demos this early in the dev process.

At least that's how I interpret it...

LadyRufina
21st May 2012, 10:12
but the poll says do you want a demo released after E3, not would you play it....

aussie500
21st May 2012, 12:06
but the poll says do you want a demo released after E3, not would you play it....

It says soon after E3, which is still only an alpha or at best an early beta demo. It would still have bugs and if it is alpha many things would still need improving. Why bother releasing a public demo of something that is not the best it can be? It would hardly be the best for the game to have fans complaining about the quality of the demo just because they were too impatient for Crystal Dynamics to finish making the game.

phoenix630
21st May 2012, 14:49
I really hope so. Been anticipating this game so much, that I considered going and finally playing Angel of Darkness lol.

Driber
23rd May 2012, 12:48
but the poll says do you want a demo released after E3

I think most of us interpret that question as "would you want to play a demo that would be released right after E3" because at the end of the day, gamers mainly care about their gaming experience, not about a dev's marketing campaign.

Besides, I don't think anyone would vote for that exited Yes!!! if they are not planning to play it themselves :whistle:

Mick2412
25th May 2012, 17:32
It's too early yet for demo. Let the wave of intrest from the demo still be there when the games comes out rather than passed months ago.

thomwilliams
29th May 2012, 14:52
Does anyone think there will be a demo for the new Tomb Raider game?
I think it'll be really soon before the game is released. So with the 2013 release date, maybe December time? Would make my Christmas a very happy one. I just hope the 2012 'end of the world' thing isn't true, so that I can play this game!

IvanaKC
29th May 2012, 18:16
Although I voted yes, now I wish I voted no. The reason is that as much as I would like to play any kind of demo of new TR game (alpha, beta, finished or whatever), I think releasing beta version would ruin chancess for success. Some people are dumb enough to think that beta version is the same as finished so they would not be satisfied. That would result with poor sales of the game and of course, CD would not make money to produce more games. Trust me, I would really really like to play the demo, what kind of a TR fan wouldn't? Maybe I'm thinking too far into the future, but this game is also trying to attract new players, not only satisfy hardcore TR fans.

ajrich17901
29th May 2012, 23:44
After seeing the demo of TR at E3 last year and seeing how much it has shaped up in literally just a year, I would kill for a demo. Probably won't get one till a month before launch of the game but I'm still crossing my fingers in hope.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
4th Jun 2012, 18:42
I think hold off on the demo till it's at full game standard. If you put the demo out early fans are going to want more very quickly and so you end up leaking too much info by the time the game is ready.

MusicFreak2013
4th Jun 2012, 20:09
Well i hope lol.

I am hoping too!!!:)

TranceTrouble
4th Jun 2012, 20:24
I think hold off on the demo till it's at full game standard. If you put the demo out early fans are going to want more very quickly and so you end up leaking too much info by the time the game is ready.

totally agree i kind of hope CD will go silent after E3 till just before the launch :p:D

Darkwoodsoftime
28th Jun 2012, 08:58
First hands-on demo of TR at Nerd HQ! RT @thenerdmachine: SDCC 2012: Nerd Machine Announces 2nd Annual Nerd HQ... http://t.co/HeVEfTwi

i can't open this Link (internet issues) ... what does it say ? :D

LARALOVERnr1
28th Jun 2012, 13:22
^
It says that during the Comic Con this July (I believe around the 13th of July), Tomb Raider will be playable for visitors :)

LaraCroft1990
29th Jun 2012, 08:03
there defo gotta be a demo :)

_Love2Raid_
29th Jun 2012, 11:42
I think it's too soon for a demo.

kisses123
5th Aug 2012, 14:37
:rolleyes:

Just wondering if they will release a demo for PC and other systems some time before the game's actual release for us to try it out and report any bugs and also as something to hold us over until march 2013.

d1n0_xD
5th Aug 2012, 14:58
I don't think so, it would suck if they had to push back the release date and the game still has bugs...

Metalrocks
5th Aug 2012, 15:15
I don't think so, it would suck if they had to push back the release date and the game still has bugs...

but still better to wait longer then complaining whats wrong and then we have to wait for a patch to come.
but since they want that it should work for all platforms and they already postponed it to march next year, the game should run very smooth on all platforms. especially the pc version.

Shaikh
5th Aug 2012, 15:22
Isn't in one of the interview, Darrel said there will be a playable demo release sometime Summer this year? :scratch:

Darkwoodsoftime
5th Aug 2012, 16:04
^ Karl said that in E3 interviews and i believe he meant Comic Con . which makes me wonder why till now no one posted bout how the game was ... ?!

LaraCroft1990
5th Aug 2012, 16:21
be good if there was a demo :)

Driber
7th Aug 2012, 14:18
Isn't in one of the interview, Darrel said there will be a playable demo release sometime Summer this year? :scratch:

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the demo at SDCC, etc.

Shaikh
7th Aug 2012, 14:45
I'm pretty sure he was referring to the demo at SDCC, etc.

Joy-killer. :rasp:

pidipidi39
24th Aug 2012, 13:21
Hello there!

Ehm, yeah, don't take this as an important thing, but i just started a petition for a TR9 mass demo :) http://www.change.org/petitions/crystal-dynamics-release-a-tomb-raider-9-demo-in-september

Hope you will sign it :p, i'm dying here :o

tillymander
25th Oct 2012, 14:47
Do you guys think there will be a playable demo to download for xbox live or ps3 or not? if so how far, I think it will be about January.. I hope they let us, if they do i am guessing it will be something we've already seen, probably the hunting demo

AdobeArtist
25th Oct 2012, 14:54
Do you guys think there will be a playable demo to download for xbox live or ps3 or not? if so how far, I think it will be about January.. I hope they let us, if they do i am guessing it will be something we've already seen, probably the hunting demo

I would be more likely to come out in mid Feb. Demos rarely get offered 3 months before any game's release.

pidipidi39
25th Oct 2012, 15:08
well... if it comes out in mid february i'm not going to play it ;) because from mid february to march 5th i can wait and so not spoil nothing :D but if it comes out in January i'm going to play it all the time till march 5th :lol:

Driber
25th Oct 2012, 19:11
I think this thread could do with a new poll: "If CD released a demo before March 5th, are you going to play it?"

Anyone interested?

pidipidi39
25th Oct 2012, 20:03
^yep, it could be interesting :D

but you already have my answer:

well... if it comes out in mid february i'm not going to play it because from mid february to march 5th i can wait and so not spoil nothing but if it comes out in January i'm going to play it all the time till march 5th

TranceTrouble
25th Oct 2012, 20:11
i guess i'm not going to, i will be patiently waiting for the release ;)

hiropon056
25th Oct 2012, 20:32
i can't and even if i could i wouldn't play it. like i said some time before... i don't want to see, play or whatever TOO much of the game before its release, because of the "oh-i-already-know-half-of-this-stuff" feeling... so nope :)

AdobeArtist
25th Oct 2012, 20:33
I think this thread could do with a new poll: "If CD released a demo before March 5th, are you going to play it?"

Anyone interested?

DO WANT!!! :gamer::gamer::gamer:

Metalrocks
26th Oct 2012, 03:04
if it would be shortly before the release date, then no. not worth it. i still can hang on till then without playing the demo.

d1n0_xD
26th Oct 2012, 09:19
^ Agreed. No matter when they release it, I wouldn't play it. Gameplay demos have already spoiled some stuff :p For me, demo is a test to see if I'm gonna buy the game, since I'm buying it 100%, no need for a demo for me :p

Driber
26th Oct 2012, 10:12
The new poll is up.

Final results of the old poll:

gmgvgx_demo-poll-results.gif

affinity
27th Oct 2012, 20:01
a PC/PSN/XBL public demo could boost sales, just like it did for Tomb Raider Legend.
The series does have somewhat of a history of releasing demos for maybe most of them.

but maybe that effort could be used to polish and expand the full version more. :)

pidipidi39
27th Oct 2012, 20:19
i honestly think that they should release a WELL POLISHED demo, because it would boost sales and attract more public to the game :D
but, if they release it in february i'll won't play it ;) the danger is if they'll release it in december: then i don't think that i'll be able to don't play it, even if i don't want to spoil nothing.
You know, the fact is that if they'll release a demo it will probably be the hunting demo, and when in the complete game i'll come to the hunting demo's zone, i don't want that my reaction will be ''oh, yeah, i've already explored this place'' :( but if they'll release it 3 months (and i hope not) before the game, it will be so hard to not play it :( someone will have to chain me to the wall :p

Speedster
13th Nov 2012, 12:20
I know its still too early for the game since its going to be out in 5 March 2013 but.will there be a demo before the full game?i really like to see a demo sooner or later and thats because some ppl are saying that the game reached ALPHA version.something like beta.

even crysis 3 for example.they released an ALPHA version of it to be played only in multiplayer mode and only to those who had the keys to it.

if the rumors are true and its in alpha state could you guys pls release a demo for the whole world to enjoy this game after waiting for such a long time since 2011 and be able to get a taste of it even as alpha?

Metalrocks
13th Nov 2012, 13:06
we have a topic about it already. ;)

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=116898

so far, no demo is announced yet.

Driber
13th Nov 2012, 13:08
merged :)

Rai
13th Nov 2012, 14:22
I would most definitely play a demo. If there is one, I guess it wold be the deer hunt? Seeing as that's the one that's been demoed already at all the gaming events. Although it would be great if it was something else.

Speedster
13th Nov 2012, 16:36
to be honest i dont really care what they will do inside the demo if there is going to be one when there is going to be one.i just wanna play it to get the mechanics feeling and see some graphics which i like to max out on my pc.

rudyavelar
1st Jan 2013, 23:35
Guys I just really want a demo. Even if its just the first 10 mins when she's in that cloth and she has to burn herself off. I really want to experience what aiming feels like, how the qte's feel. What would you guys want to play a demo for?

TheArcaneHuntress
1st Jan 2013, 23:39
I really want to play the demo too :3 :) I have been avoiding seeing much of the gameplay trailers because I don't want to spoil anything ~ Though I would like something that gives us a feel for the game and is tailored for a great demo experience, but maybe not just a segment of the game such as the first 30 minutes or so :3 :)

rudyavelar
1st Jan 2013, 23:44
^ Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Maybe the hunting demo they showed at E3 would be nice. I'd love to explore every bit of that hub!! It'd be so awesome.

TheArcaneHuntress
1st Jan 2013, 23:48
^ Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Maybe the hunting demo they showed at E3 would be nice. I'd love to explore every bit of that hub!! It'd be so awesome.

lol I can imagine, theyd say the demo only takes about 20 minutes but I'd be playing it for hours :D Exploring every little thing :3 I also recall in an ealier podcast Karl saying something about just putting a segment in, like the first portion of the game. I remember him saying that its boring if you play the actual game and you feel that this part is no longer new to you since you've done it already ~ So for me this is hinting that it will be different.

rudyavelar
1st Jan 2013, 23:56
lol I can imagine, theyd say the demo only takes about 20 minutes but I'd be playing it for hours :D Exploring every little thing :3 I also recall in an ealier podcast Karl saying something about just putting a segment in, like the first portion of the game. I remember him saying that its boring if you play the actual game and you feel that this part is no longer new to you since you've done it already ~ So for me this is hinting that it will be different.

Hmm.. you're right. Maybe choosing one of the combat areas would fix it? Since it seems like you can do combat in a variety of ways. I would want something that doesn't give away to much of the story though.

StealthyJazz
1st Jan 2013, 23:57
Guys I just really want a demo. Even if its just the first 10 mins when she's in that cloth and she has to burn herself off. I really want to experience what aiming feels like, how the qte's feel. What would you guys want to play a demo for?

I would add a poll but idk how. lol.

We really need a Demo! But unfortunately Demos are something CD isn't known for. And most times they release demos, they release them after the actual release. (Which is really annoying to be honest) I guess we can only dream... :(

MagnaBass
1st Jan 2013, 23:58
I hope they release a demo where we can use the climbing axe.

rudyavelar
1st Jan 2013, 23:59
YES. The climbing axe is awesome. I really like that it's a manual attach. Kind of like the classics. <3

rudyavelar
2nd Jan 2013, 00:01
We really need a Demo! But unfortunately Demos are something CD isn't known for. And most times they release demos, they release them after the actual release. (Which is really annoying to be honest) I guess we can only dream... :(

sad. hopefully we get one for tr9!!

oldboy2003
2nd Jan 2013, 00:05
Maybe they will give the forum members demo codes?? :D

rudyavelar
2nd Jan 2013, 00:10

PLEASE. I NEEEEEEEEEEEED IT.

oldboy2003
2nd Jan 2013, 00:12
PLEASE. I NEEEEEEEEEEEED IT.

If not. Just wait only 2 months 4 days!

pidipidi39
2nd Jan 2013, 00:12
I NEED A DEMO :(
I NEEEEEED IT RIGHT NOOWWWWWWWWWW :gamer:

You know, a cool demo would be the Hunting Demo or the Parachute Demo :D
But please, not the Scavenger's Den as the demo, cause i'd love to play it for the first time in the full game since it is the beginning :)

TheArcaneHuntress
2nd Jan 2013, 00:13
Hmm.. you're right. Maybe choosing one of the combat areas would fix it? Since it seems like you can do combat in a variety of ways. I would want something that doesn't give away to much of the story though.

Yes I definitely want something that doesn't giveaway too much of the story :)

rudyavelar
2nd Jan 2013, 00:14
If not. Just wait only 2 months 4 days!

2 MONTHS AND 4 DAYS. WOW BRB CRYING TILL MARCH 5TH.

TheArcaneHuntress
2nd Jan 2013, 00:14

YES, Maybe thats what that thread was forr . . . :whistle:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=131159

rudyavelar
2nd Jan 2013, 00:17

But please, not the Scavenger's Den as the demo, cause i'd love to play it for the first time in the full game since it is the beginning :)

Yeah, you're right. Parachute demo. That would be amazing. I feel like the Hunting Demo wouldn't showcase combat very well.

Yes I definitely want something that doesn't giveaway too much of the story :)

Yup. I'd like a demo we've already seen. :)

TheArcaneHuntress
2nd Jan 2013, 00:17

yes, I would like to play that for the first time in the game too :3 if it iiiiiisss in the demo, I will have a hard time preventing myself from downloading it :)

TheArcaneHuntress
2nd Jan 2013, 00:19
Yeah, you're right. Parachute demo. That would be amazing. I feel like the Hunting Demo wouldn't showcase combat very well.

Yup. I'd like a demo we've already seen. :)

Yes, I just remembered the demo from the first E3, maybe that will be okay? Since it was so long ago and it does such a great job at introducing so much of the story and the game. Hmmm coming up with a demo is tricky ~ Though hang in there, were getting closer!! :group_hug:

oldboy2003
YES, Maybe thats what that thread was forr . . . :whistle:

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=131159

Hahaha that was me who said that on that thread

pidipidi39
yes, I would like to play that for the first time in the game too :3 if it iiiiiisss in the demo, I will have a hard time preventing myself from downloading it :)
I think that if they'll release it as the demo, the only way that i will be able to use to not play it is to suicide me :p

rudyavelar
2nd Jan 2013, 00:22
Yes, I just remembered the demo from the first E3, maybe that will be okay? Since it was so long ago and it does such a great job at introducing so much of the story and the game. Hmmm coming up with a demo is tricky ~ Though hang in there, were getting closer!! :group_hug:

Do you mean the one when she has to escape that cave? :O

TheArcaneHuntress
2nd Jan 2013, 00:22
Hahaha that was me who said that on that thread

lol I felt that I was not worthy to enter the forum since I am not a gamer yet ( thats why I didn't comment or read anything ) :D :) :worship:

pidipidi39
2nd Jan 2013, 00:23
EDIT: i did it wrong :/

oldboy2003
2nd Jan 2013, 00:24
lol I felt that I was not worthy to enter the forum since I am not a gamer yet ( thats why I didn't comment or read anything ) :D :) :worship:

hahaha

TheArcaneHuntress
2nd Jan 2013, 00:25

Yup! That one, though whichever one I think about also has a reason why I wouldn't want it to be a demo :)

pidipidi39
2nd Jan 2013, 00:32
But i think that if they'll release a demo in a day between February 20th and March 5th i won't play it :)

rudyavelar
2nd Jan 2013, 00:37
Yup! That one, though whichever one I think about also has a reason why I wouldn't want it to be a demo :)

Yeah, same here. I'd really like the parachute demo though. I feel like it has a good mixture of combat and traversal. :D

But i think that if they'll release a demo in a day between February 20th and March 5th i won't play it :)

I wish I could say the same. I have no self control. :p

TheArcaneHuntress
2nd Jan 2013, 00:39

Ahh you're right I can see that too ~ Oh the temptation. They also said that they have alot of stuff to release between now and the actual release of the Game,

" The recent multiplayer announcement was just the beginning of a massive build up to launch on March 5th. "

~ Darrel

So I'm just curious as to what that is :) ?

pidipidi39
2nd Jan 2013, 00:41
I hope it is a demo and not another gameplay videos

TheArcaneHuntress
2nd Jan 2013, 00:44
I hope it is a demo and not another gameplay videos

Its hard for me to see there not being a demo coming soon :D

pidipidi39
2nd Jan 2013, 00:46
Its hard for me to see there not being a demo coming soon :D
Yup :D But if they want to release it they should release it in January (max early February) ;)

TheArcaneHuntress
2nd Jan 2013, 00:51
Yup :D But if they want to release it they should release it in January (max early February) ;)

AHHHH I'm so excited, Sometimes I still think about which system I want it on though :D

pidipidi39
2nd Jan 2013, 00:51
AHHHH I'm so excited, Sometimes I still think about which system I want it on though :D
For me it is PC FTW :D
You?

TheArcaneHuntress
2nd Jan 2013, 00:54
For me it is PC FTW :D
You?

Ahhhh I don't know ~ On one hand I love my xbox and most of my friends are already on there and on the other hand, it will be free Multiplayer on PS3. Then I also heard a rumor that PS3 had some exclusive features but I don't know if thats true :(

pidipidi39
2nd Jan 2013, 00:56
Ahhhh I don't know ~ On one hand I love my xbox and most of my friends are already on there and on the other hand, it will be free Multiplayer on PS3. Then I also heard a rumor that PS3 had some exclusive features but I don't know if thats true :(
If you really like MP, then go for the PS3 :):thumb:

Tihocan
2nd Jan 2013, 03:00
To be honest I don't actually want a demo. I'm waiting patiently to get my edition and experience everything as new as possible.

StealthyJazz
2nd Jan 2013, 03:06

I only wish the last part were true as good ol' Microsoft have already gone a done a deal to get the first DLC earlier for Xbox. I don't know if it's for all the DLC I just remember in and interview it would be the first.

Metalrocks
2nd Jan 2013, 06:16
a demo would be nice to see how it played. if its bad so i can cancel my pre order :p

as some have state it, the hunting demo would be nice. even when its just this small part, it would be good enough to get a feeling for it. just hunting and exploring, no enemies.
or the beginning how we escape as we saw so many times in trailers. that little part would do fine as well.

Ninja_kittycat
2nd Jan 2013, 07:24
I'd take any demo version (getting out of the underground cave, hunting demo, the wolf demo helping Roth, or the longer IGN/CD 90 minute gameplay demo)

JaxGames
2nd Jan 2013, 09:33
I Think it will be a MP Beta to be honest and i wouldn't want to play a story demo anyway because i want to play it for myself and playthe game in one flow. However if there is a demo i'm guessing it would be after the first kill to the end of the nighthub maybe.

oldboy2003
2nd Jan 2013, 09:35
I Think it will be a MP Beta to be honest and i wouldn't want to play a story demo anyway because i want to play it for myself and playthe game in one flow. However if there is a demo i'm guessing it would be after the first kill to the end of the nighthub maybe.

I think it would be the parachute level or the hunting one

hiropon056
2nd Jan 2013, 09:37
IMO there is no need for a demo now because the release is just 2 months away
idk

Ninja_kittycat
2nd Jan 2013, 12:11
^ you do prove a point, but i would like a little taste. No new demo (don't want to spoil it) and just a short one just to get a feel for the game (newest one if they changed alot from cave escape demo to radio tower demo)

blackseed32
2nd Jan 2013, 13:55
if its bad so i can cancel my pre order :p

after all this info, gameplays and screenshots released to public how the hell could you think it will be bad???
for me I'd never cancel my preorder for a TR game! (usually I buy games from stores)

blackshauni
2nd Jan 2013, 13:57
Demo should be released asap! Can't wait to play young Lara and explore the new world.. Even only a short part of it ;)

pidipidi39
2nd Jan 2013, 14:04
I want a demo also because with it i can see if TR can run on my PC :)

blackseed32
2nd Jan 2013, 15:05
I really want a demo because I want to just see how is to play it and how smooth it runs on my pc. 10 minutes of demo is enough (because it's just a demo and 10 min should not spoil us anything)

Metalrocks
2nd Jan 2013, 15:08
after all this info, gameplays and screenshots released to public how the hell could you think it will be that bad???
for me I'd never cancel my preorder for a TR game! (usually I buy games from stores)

lol, chill out. you took me too serious. why you think i added this " :p " there?
i was being sarcastic.

blackseed32
2nd Jan 2013, 15:14
lol, chill out. you took me too serious. why you think i added this " :p " there?
i was being sarcastic.

sorry I was angry at that moment on something :lol:
:friends:

Lukass
2nd Jan 2013, 15:30
Demo's not happening, I'm afraid...

Shaikh
2nd Jan 2013, 15:49
I can see a demo coming in February 2013. Might be a Multiplayer beta too.

Demo's not happening, I'm afraid...
Hi Lukass. Welcome back. :wave:

pidipidi39
2nd Jan 2013, 16:51
Yeah, i think of February too :)

Extra T
2nd Jan 2013, 16:53
A demo, well idk it all depends on CD

pidipidi39
2nd Jan 2013, 16:55
A demo, well idk it all depends on CD
I don't want to sound rude, but you just wrote the most commonplace thing that you can say ;)

Extra T
2nd Jan 2013, 16:57
I don't want to sound rude, but you just wrote the most commonplace thing that you can say ;)

ok sorry:(

pidipidi39
2nd Jan 2013, 17:01
ok sorry:(
No! :D It's all ok ;) Mine was only sarcasm ;) You can say everything you want here :)

Extra T
2nd Jan 2013, 17:05
No! :D It's all ok ;) Mine was only sarcasm ;) You can say everything you want here :)
Lol I was scared fora second :lol:

pidipidi39
2nd Jan 2013, 17:19
Lol I was scared fora second :lol:
Ahaha, no, i can ensure you that in this forum folks are very kind :)

Extra T
2nd Jan 2013, 17:25
ok lol so I still want a demo:lmao:

Weemanply109
2nd Jan 2013, 17:28
I'd be here for a demo like FEAR 2's was. It had seamlessly mixed segments from different parts of the game (nothing spoilerific) and gave a good idea of what to expect.

pidipidi39
2nd Jan 2013, 18:05
Now i'll write what i really want for the demo :)

- Release Period: Q4 January/Q2 February
- Level: Hunting Demo/Parachute Demo
- Multiplayer: NO!

TheArcaneHuntress
2nd Jan 2013, 20:36
Now i'll write what i really want for the demo :)

- Release Period: Q4 January/Q2 February
- Level: Hunting Demo/Parachute Demo
- Multiplayer: NO!
But I want a Multi - Actually, no ~ I don't want multiplayer in the demo :3 I agree :) Which is the Hunting Demo again?

thomwilliams
2nd Jan 2013, 20:55
Meh, I feel like I could survive without a demo. We've waited so long, I'm sure we could wait another 2 months.

I wouldn't want to risk any story aspect being spoiled..

pidipidi39
2nd Jan 2013, 21:36
Which is the Hunting Demo again?
The one with the deer :)

TheArcaneHuntress
2nd Jan 2013, 23:04
The one with the deer :)

Ahhhh I cannot decide D: I would like to experience the thingy with the deer for the first time when I have it Ahhhh I don't know :)

pidipidi39
2nd Jan 2013, 23:06
Ahhhh I cannot decide D: I would like to experience the thingy with the deer for the first time when I have it Ahhhh I don't know :)
Mmh... what you wrote does actually make sense :) And that confused me more :lol: But, would you like the Parachute demo then? ;)

TheArcaneHuntress
2nd Jan 2013, 23:35
Mmh... what you wrote does actually make sense :) And that confused me more :lol: But, would you like the Parachute demo then? ;)

lmao I can never give you a sensible answer :D I can see the parachute scene being really fun to play and definitely enjoyable but I also see it being a very memorable scene and I think its the first time that she actually faces the scavengers head on I dont know I JUST DONT KNOW!!! :hmm: :(

larafan25
2nd Jan 2013, 23:39
I would prefer the deer hub for a demo, I'd spend all the time up to release just farting around in there!

Chasing bunnies.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg295/randomperson_2008/berners.jpg

oldboy2003
2nd Jan 2013, 23:45
I would prefer the deer hub for a demo, I'd spend all the time up to release just farting around in there!

Chasing bunnies.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg295/randomperson_2008/berners.jpg

Chasing bunnies would be very fun haha :D

TheArcaneHuntress
2nd Jan 2013, 23:48
Chasing bunnies would be very fun haha :D

Bunnies are always nice, maybe theyre stuck on the island too? :)

oldboy2003
3rd Jan 2013, 00:09
Bunnies are always nice, maybe theyre stuck on the island too? :)

And then KILLING bunnies... to put them out of their missery of course... hehehe :whistle:

TheArcaneHuntress
3rd Jan 2013, 00:19
And then KILLING bunnies... to put them out of their missery of course... hehehe :whistle:

You have a dark dark soul, jk :rasp: Haha maybe one will lead you down one of their holes :whistle:

nevillet
3rd Jan 2013, 01:06

I was just about to type that... you beat me to it.

Great minds think alike! (or small minds think the same?)

_import_JSwartz0181
5th Jan 2013, 05:14
To be honest I don't actually want a demo. I'm waiting patiently to get my edition and experience everything as new as possible.

Same here. I remember downloading and playing the Mass Effect 2 demo a couple times prior to getting the game, and when I finally did get it, it made those part of the game rather boring, as I'd done it a number of times before. And with this to be such a short game, playing any of it prior to release would just suck!

I can wait it out. :)

oldboy2003
5th Jan 2013, 05:16
I was just about to type that... you beat me to it.

Great minds think alike! (or small minds think the same?)

ahaha GREAT minds think a like :D

Tomb Survivor
5th Jan 2013, 21:45
The hunting demo would be great i also want to get the feel of the climbing mechanics to see if much has changed.

MagnaBass
5th Jan 2013, 22:51
I really want to play the night hub demo but have rope.

Grund
6th Jan 2013, 02:41
I would love to play the demo for one specific thing : To see if the pc runs it!

pidipidi39
6th Jan 2013, 02:46
I would love to play the demo for one specific thing : To see if the pc runs it!
Me too ;):thumb:

JDN8R
6th Jan 2013, 05:07
All I want is just a feel for the controls, pretty please CD?

oldboy2003
6th Jan 2013, 05:11
All I want is just a feel for the controls, pretty please CD?

Feel Lara's controls?

If you know what i mean haha ;)

Valenka
6th Jan 2013, 15:46

Ever hear of System Requirements Lab?

MagnaBass
6th Jan 2013, 22:34
Feel Lara's controls?

If you know what i mean haha ;)

Haha your funny.

Weemanply109
7th Jan 2013, 00:16
Ever hear of System Requirements Lab?

I wouldn't even say that's accurate, tbh. It's told me plenty of times my PC is capable of running certain games yet they barely run and vice versa.

Extra T
7th Jan 2013, 05:01
:)we need a demo tbqh and if we get one let it be the night hub one going to the radio tower plz

MagnaBass
8th Jan 2013, 12:40
:lmao:
:)we need a demo tbqh and if we get one let it be the night hub one going to the radio tower plz

I agree with this.

oldboy2003
8th Jan 2013, 13:05
If a demo does happen sure I will be happy, but if not I don't mind tomb raider is out in a matter of weeks, I can wait!

MagnaBass
8th Jan 2013, 13:06
If a demo does happen sure I will be happy, but if not I don't mind tomb raider is out in a matter of weeks, I can wait!

I cant:D I sometimes cry about that.

tillymander
8th Jan 2013, 14:58
If we get a demo I'm guessing/hoping it'll be the deer hub. I will literally play it 5 times a day until March 5th, HahA :D

Tecstar70
15th Jan 2013, 22:26
Personally I don't think we'll see one. There is enough people chomping at the bit already!

Relight-TRHQ
15th Jan 2013, 22:27
Apparently we won't be getting one...?

The closest we have to an official word is Melonie's text comment on the YouTube video of the interview with Noah:

"Also, after asking, there will be no demo unfortunately. :S But the game comes out in March, so SOON! :D"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm2th2QhlOg

That's close enough to an official confirmation for me, but take it however you want to :)

I can understand not releasing a playable demo, because they've already released a lot of footage. I mean, we've got the IGN 60 minute demo... that's a long demo! While it's not the same as playing it yourself with a demo, it was more than enough to sell me on the game!

pidipidi39
15th Jan 2013, 22:59
We won't get it :( This is not so bad. I'm pretty happy to know that the first time that i'll play with the new Lara it will be in the FULL game :D

BlindxUnicorn
16th Jan 2013, 18:38
Damn was hoping for a demo :( never mind the game is out in less than two months.

LaraBrasil
17th Jan 2013, 00:42
Really wanted a demo....

Shaikh
17th Jan 2013, 06:26
Karl just confirmed on Twitter (https://twitter.com/CrystalDKarl) that there will be no demo:

For all those @tombraider (https://twitter.com/tombraider) fans asking. There are no plans to release a demo of the game pre-launch. We don't want to spoil the story........
...We've weaved such an personal story we don't believe spoiling it by having you wait a week or so to play on, delivers on our promise.
I talk about it a bit in our latest @tombraider (https://twitter.com/tombraider) Crystal Habit podcast which is due to drop tomorrow.

We could so do a deer hunting demo at least. :(

Relight-TRHQ
17th Jan 2013, 06:31
Well, here we go, it's official.

tombraider: RT @CrystalDKarl: For all those @tombraider fans asking. There are no plans to release a demo of the game pre-launch. We don't want to s ...
Note that he says *pre-launch* :D

hiropon056
17th Jan 2013, 06:41
A good decision IMO. just 46 more days.... A demo would seem senseless to me

Relight-TRHQ
17th Jan 2013, 06:44
I definitely agree that given how much of the game we've seen (all the trailers plus that monster IGN 60+ minute demo), well, we've certainly seen enough if you've watched everything, and it's enough to decide whether you want to play the game or not in my opinion. Of course, playing a demo yourself is a different experience than watching footage, but I definitely made my decision to pre-order based on the IGN demo.

Notice that Karl very specifically says there are no plans for a demo... *pre-launch* :D