PDA

View Full Version : I played the game and I'm here to answer all of your questions

Pages : [1] 2

Daeda
23rd Feb 2011, 19:33
As I've mentioned before in a couple of threads, I've played the demo shown to the press and would like to give you the opportunity to ask some questions about Deus Ex I might be able to answer. Now the embargo for the second preview is due tomorrow so untill then I'll only answer some questions related to the first level of the game. Just giving you a day in advance allows me to answer more questions simultaniously.

Few things I can't discuss:

* The ist of augmentations and their upgrades. It is under permanent embargo and even if it wasnt, I honestly dont have it in my head. Can try to confirm specific augmentations though.
* The exploration of the cities. This was not in the demo and thus I cant tell you more than you can read from interviews and older previews.
* Anything story specific past the second mission, again, because I havent played that part.

So fire away :)

__

With Daeda's kind permission, a summary of the Q&As has been added:

SUMMARY OF Q&As

Does the game feel cyberpunky?
Yes

What about music played during the missions if it was at all? Is it context dependent? Does it sound like in the first game?
Among others it featured (a remix of) Unatco HQ - can't be more Deus Ex than that! Music is great, no worries.

Does the game suck?
No. My site still has it listed as #1 game for 2011 (partly due to me being excited about the game).

Is the difficulty really as hard as they say it will be? (did you play on "Deus Ex"?....I will )
I played on normal. Died a lot. So yeah, its hard, but in a good way. You're all really better of for starting to like the cover system, cause it not only makes the combat somewhat better than the original, it is sort of necessary to survive.

How do NPCs act and react to Jensen's movement through the world? Do they become annoyed if he disrupts them while they work, or watch him as he moves around them becoming angry if he begins using their terminals, thus forcing us to become mindful of our actions around them?
I'm not sure about all NPCs but they do notice you using computers. In the first minutes of the game you can read Dr Megan Reed's PC and she will comment on it. It's safe to assume this also happens with the rest. Haven't tried pissing NPCs off though, as I was on a time limit to finish the demo and in the beginning not much is present to annoy them yet.

I'm not sure if this has been confirmed elsewhere, but it looks like the first level is HUD-less (what with Adam still all-natural at this point), with the AR being given a laser sight to make up for the lack of crosshairs. Is this true? If so, its a neat touch.
Yes this is true - no HUD, as that is an augmentation. I liked this presentation as well.

Is the conversation system totally like Mass Effect? You pick a phrase that you think means "anger" but then actually means "jealousy", thus totally ruining the intended conversation? Got to love not being able to pick exactly what you say.
In conversation options, when you hover over a word describing whay you're gonna say, it will also show the exact sentence Adam will say. So you never get surprised (at least in the first line).

Does the voice acting sync? Hated Assassins Creed for this...
Well, its no L.A. Noire but I liked the voice acting and lip sync seemed fine.

How are the cells divided up on the console version? Loading screens every floor?
The game only loads when you enter a new level. In the case of the demo, that would be 3 loading screens. The rest is hidden in stuff like elevators etc, so you dont notice them. Also, there is some loading time when loading a savegame.

Are you aware if the infinite ammo for the tutorial portion is just for the preview, or will it be in the game itself?
Describe the red screen when you get hurt. Interviews have stated that "no one throws red jelly in your face", but a new preview says the screen saturates red when you get hurt. Try to compare the effect to another game, if you can.
Were there any important plot choices to be made in the segment you played? If so, don't tell me what they are or I'll end you.
In your time playing, did you see any issues (bugs, graphical issues, etc) to indicate that the game won't be ready soon? (say, April?)
1) I have no idea but I think it is final. No reason for EM to have the press cheat.
2) I believe it just gets a bit redish, but it didnt stant out from other games enough for me to remember exactly.
3) Hard to tell. I would say only the choices made at the end of the demo have long term effects, but I cant tell as the demo ended after the mission.
4) It ran fine, though auto-save was disabled. Felt near finished but David Anfossi told me they still had a lot of bugs to squash out. He also told me that he didnt want to release the game untill he's absolutely sure it is (as good as) bug free. It is esspecially important to EM since its their first game and they dont want to get known for buggy games. My guess for release is currently end of may, early june but thats just a gamble on my side.

How would you rate the level of writing when compared to the first game? Is the dialogue and data written in an eloquent and subtle way?
There's a lot of discussion and information, some of which is not even presented to you directly. For example, in the opening of the game you can walk around the office of Megan Reed and look at magazines that cant be picked up. The text on their cover is relevant however. It seems like writing will be deep but its hard to give a definitive answer based on what I've played.

How did you tackle the missions?
Well, as you will have read by now in previews, the game asks you to choose between a lethal or non lethal weapon, and then ranged or close by. I picked ranged non lethal and got a tranq gun. I tried sneaking for the most part, but eventually I blew my cover and since I was on a time limit I decided to also use gunplay. Used a lot of cover, tried to take out guard by a takedown when possible and tried to flank the AI. You need a lot of tactics in the game as you die easily in a direct gunfight. Mostly this means using cover and then sneaking around enemies (who will focus on the last place they've seen you) n order to take them down.

What colour socks does Adam wear, and is there much drama in the choosing? I'm always in such a right state over things like this, and I'd like to see this reflected in my protagonist.
He likes purple socks with green dots. But he does leave the house when only his red ones are available.

1. Does the gunplay feel satisfying? I know that they are using the new cover system, does it feel like Brothers in Arms 3 or Kane and Lynch 2? I use those as shooter examples.
2. Are the maps linear or can you honestly tackle them in a variety of ways which lead to different outcomes. In the first game your decisions never affected the story in a true way, it would just disable/enable you to hear different dialogues. Can you stay in an area for a long while to explore or does it get closed off after you have finished with it. Are the maps large?
3. How are the graphics? Is there a game that you can compare it to so that I get a good scale of the level of detail?
4. Do the takedowns make the game feel too easy?
1) Havent played either. Cover system is almost a direct copy of Rainbow Six Vegas (according to Anfossi) so use that as your reference.
2) The first level is strictly linear, the second is linear in that you always need to god a certain way for your objective. Id probably compare it to Aqua Lab in Deus Ex 1. The rooms are quite large though, so you are able to use you own tactic. Also it features a lot of vent shafts that lead to other parts of the room. I discussed the layout with Anfossi and he told me that the somewhat linear nature of the first levels is to slowly introduce the players into a Deus Ex playstyle. Mission after demo was a cityhub, so then it gets more free and Im quite confident that freedom will also grow over other missions. So you wont get thrown into too much freedom like Liberty Island. The map was huge though and it had some rooms you dont have to go. So multi path, but with (for this mission) a clear goal of where to go.
3) Well, there are two things I should point out here. Graphically, the game looks good but its not the most beautiful game I've ever played. But graphics aren't everything and the most impressive thing about DXHR is its representation. Rooms are full with magazines, paperwork, cleaning products etc. Most of it is non interactive, but it really gives you a feeling that someone lives in those rooms. Design wise, not everything is functional in Deus Ex and I must say, Ive rarely seen so much detail in levels.
4) No, absolutely not. A takedown requires a full energy point. During the game, I had 2 and once you use them, only the first automatically regenerates. So this allows you to run into someone and kill them using a takedown (which quite frankly is much better than the melee attacks that never worked properly) but then another guard will gun you down because you're too close and dont have any energy left to also use a takedown on him.

Is the ammo counter always there after you receive your initial augmentations? What about objective markers and radar? How does the radar work?
I believe its only present is you aim using sights (ie left trigger on consoles). I didn't notice a radar, but I could've just forgotten. I think its an augmentation I didnt' have. Not sure though. Mission marker is just on map if I'm correct.

How are the augmentations divided amongst the four pillars that have been mentioned? Approximate number per pillar?
* What are the augmentations that Adam starts out with?
* Are there any consumables such as Thermoptic camo and Rebreathers?
* Is Adam be able to find and use standard keys?
* Is there any opening of lockers and crates or do you find all loot just laying there?
* Does the level design feature frequent instances of conveniently placed waist-high walls?
* How many different types of combat AI are there?
* How many different states of alertness are there for AI guards?
* Do guards still suffer from extreme forgetfulness?
* Are vents still impenetrable sanctuaries for the sneaky player?
* Are there any unskippable cutscenes?
* Are PC players able to define their own hotkeys?
* Is there locational damage for either Adam or the NPC's? Are there at least damage multipliers on body parts?
1) Id say most are stealth/action. Then also some trees for hacking and even less for social. Seemed like a right balance as you can imagine stealth and action being more important augmentations. There where a lot though and all of them had long upgrade trees so I think customisation will be more than most can ask for.
2) Out of the top of my head: single takedown, augmented reality (ie ammo counter etc), basic hacking and communications. Might've forgotten about one though.
3) Didn't see any, but then again, there was no water for you to need a rebreather.
4) No, all locks are done by keypads/hacking. You can actually enter passwords on PC though.
5) There are lockers, don' think there where any crates.
6) Most of those things feel in place, such as crates or desks. No walls unless there need to be walls.
7) Hard to tell, often they focus on the last place they saw the player and then investigate/attack if they find you. Some retreat a bit for safety. Don't have a final verdict on the AI, but its definitely better than the original (as you'd hope)
8) Id say: not alerted, alerted and suspicious. Might also be one for them going from alerted to not alerted.
9) Not extremely, but if you stay hidden long enough they will resume (albeit probably more suspicious)
10) Yes, I'd say so.
11) I think you could skip them, maybe not the cutscene after tutorial as it is a cut scene/credit roll thing. Didn't try since I was actually interested in the story.
12) Played on PS3, no idea.
13) For Adam, no idea. For enemies: you'll want to aim for the heads as ammo is scarce and they die much faster that way.

Did you get to try the PC version? (Think it's safe to assume this is a "no" from the start, but worth asking just in case.)
Did you try playing during combat and stealth without using the third person cover system? If so, how well did it work?
Once you've alerted enemies, is it possible to slip away, or will they just hunt you relentlessly until either you're dead or they are?
Did you get to try the hacking minigame? How was it?
Did you get to try the hacking minigame more than a handful of times? If so, does it become tedious after the first few?
The claymore is the only direct attack aug we've seen so far (other than the armblades, I guess) - are there more? Personally, I hope not, I'd rather see a lot more "function" augs and leave the attacking to weapons.
1) Played on PS3, others on X360. Don't think PC was demo-ed (probably partly due to the fact that setting up a console in a restaurant thingy in Paris is much easier than PCs.
2) Why would I? Seriously, the cover is an improvement, not a burden. You can probably sneak without using it, but it's no fun. Shooting using first person works fine, especially since you have an iron sight. But if you're to bitter to use 3rd person, then don't buy the game as its meant to be appreciated the way it is.
3) They focus on where they last saw you and if they cant find you there they are mostly alerted.
4/5) Yes, I did. It was complex but eventually well though out. Getting bonuses out of it is challenging so I can imagine it will stay entertaining, but you could always search for the keycode if you don't want to hack. Not all devices can be hacked immediately btw, some need an upgrade on your augs.
6) Non that I used. So don't think so.

Was it too obvious where the player was supposed to go?
In the demo, yeah, kind of. There is always an end goal and a few multi paths that lead there. Its just the beginning of the game though and probably intentional to slowly introduce players. Levels still felt open enough for multiple playthroughs, but you'll have to wait for city maps to really explore.

Can you explain how the controls work, if you remember? Like what button does what etc.
From top of my head, on PS3:
Interaction: X
Fire: R1
Aim Sight: L1
Cover: Hold L2
Reload: Circle
Switch weapon: Hold Triangle
Holster weapon: Press triangle
Use augmentation: D-Pad
Inventory/Menu: Select
Crouch: Press Left Thumb

Not entirely sure though, but controls worked fine.

Can you comment on how agressive/responsive the AI felt? Did they always attack you more or less in the same manner or they did they seem to react and adapt to what you were doing?
How often did you run out of BE (or how easy was it to keep the Augs on for extended periods)?
How did guards react when suspicious that someone was in the room/Did they even seem to ever be suspicious or just jumped from oblivious to "there he is!"?
1) They take a few seconds to go from noticing you to shooting you. They where automatically hostile though, which is hardly a surprise as it was a combat mission.
2) Very often. You only have a few energy slots and especially in the beginning of the game, no real mehods for refilling em. Since takedowns require an energy slot (first always regenerates slowly) I ran out each time I took someone down. This made cloaking something I could only use for a couple of seconds before becoming visible again.
3) If they find a dead body they will research that and look around. If they then see you, they will attack obviously. But if you're invisible, they will be suspicious.

Is general-gameplay-feel similar to the DeusEx 1? Is it really a thinking shooter?
Did you find any "secret areas" on the map(s) during play?
What was the most memorable thing from your gameplay experience?
During first real mission in DE:HR - did you try different approaches to solve the problems?
1) Yes, in terms of actual shooting maybe more so, as the cover system requires you to flank enemies, sneak up close for takedowns etc. Just starting by spraying bullets will get you killed. Plus, there isn't too much ammo so you try to save some.
2) Id say the on-rails walkthrough at the tutorial. In terms of level design, the opening of the second mission. In it you have a warehouse you can enter through both a door and the roos and inside its full of bad guys that I just couldnt take out one by one without them noticing me (yeah I sucked ). Also, the social boss fight at the end, but my audio went buggy and time ran out so it didn't leave the impression it should have :P
3) Yes, I tried sneaking at first, then more aggressive. Tried augmentations, tranq darts, flanking, fleeing, you name it. It really allows you to form your own playstyle.

When you walk around in those levels, do these levels also feel 'alive', much like a real existing place? As if it's inhabited, rather then patrolled?
Yes, the detail in each room is amazing and unlike any game ive seen. Not all interactive, mind you, but rooms are full of clutter so they don't feel sterile.

Shralla
23rd Feb 2011, 19:38
Is the ammo counter always there after you receive your initial augmentations? What about objective markers and radar? How does the radar work?

Rainhands
23rd Feb 2011, 19:41
Just a few questions, answer as you please.

1. Does the gunplay feel satisfying? I know that they are using the new cover system, does it feel like Brothers in arms 3 or Kane and Lynch 2? I use those as shooter examples.

2. Are the maps linear or can you honestly tackle them in a variety of ways which lead to different outcomes. In the first game your decisions never affected the story in a true way, it would just disable/enable you to hear different dialogues. Can you stay in an area for a long while to explore or does it get closed off after you have finished with it. Are the maps large?

3. How are the graphics? Is there a game that you can compare it to so that I get a good scale of the level of detail?

Thanks

ZakKa89
23rd Feb 2011, 19:42
When you get hit, do you see red jelly in your face?

Rainhands
23rd Feb 2011, 19:45

I hate when people say this. What else do you expect to happen when you get hit? In old games when you got hit there was simply a red marker pointing in the direction of the bullet. I hate to say it but the red jelly makes the gameplay feel SO REAL! :D

Daeda
23rd Feb 2011, 19:45

If im not mistaken, then yes.

Should note that its been a month ago btw so some details might be blurry in my memory. Other questions so far will have to waint untill tomorrow, dont want to piss of EM.

nordoM
23rd Feb 2011, 19:46
As I've mentioned before in a couple of threads, I've played the demo shown to the press and would like to give you the opportunity to ask some questions about Deus Ex I might be able to answer. Now the embargo for the second preview is due tomorrow so untill then I'll only answer some questions related to the first level of the game. Just giving you a day in advance allows me to answer more questions simultaniously.

Few things I can't discuss:

* The ist of augmentations and their upgrades. It is under permanent embargo and even if it wasnt, I honestly dont have it in my head. Can try to confirm specific augmentations though.
* The exploration of the cities. This was not in the demo and thus I cant tell you more than you can read from interviews and older previews.
* Anything story specific past the second mission, again, because I havent played that part.

Hey thanks for the offer, here are my questions:

- How rewarding is exploration outside the main mission path? Are there i.e. hidden stashes of items, safes for which you can find the keycode somewhere or doorlocks to hack just to get at the goodies inside the room?

- Can you name some of the misc. items? We know there are chocolate bars, what else is there? Chips? Soda?

dxb
23rd Feb 2011, 19:50
Are you aware if the infinite ammo for the tutorial portion is just for the preview, or will it be in the game itself?

Describe the red screen when you get hurt. Interviews have stated that "no one throws red jelly in your face", but a new preview says the screen saturates red when you get hurt. Try to compare the effect to another game, if you can.

Were there any important plot choices to be made in the segment you played? If so, don't tell me what they are or I'll end you.

In your time playing, did you see any issues (bugs, graphical issues, etc) to indicate that the game won't be ready soon? (say, April?)

nordoM
23rd Feb 2011, 19:53

Oh yeah, good one! Please state your opinion on the state of the game and your personal opinion when it will be released.

mentalkase
23rd Feb 2011, 19:53
How would you rate the level of writing when compared to the first game? Is the dialogue and data written in an eloquent and subtle way?

dxb
23rd Feb 2011, 19:56
Oh yeah, good one! Please state your opinion on the state of the game and your personal opinion when it will be released.

I demand that you edit my typos!

JCpies
23rd Feb 2011, 19:56
How many hobos are in the game?

Daeda
23rd Feb 2011, 19:58

Saw one in the Gamescom demo. No Hobos in demo though.

dxb
23rd Feb 2011, 19:59

He can't possibly answer that question. Here, let me pose it a in a more reasonable fashion.

In your time playing a very small portion of an unfinished build, how many hobos did you kill?

Let's all remember that the final version will probably give us the opportunity to kill many many more hobos.

Jerion
23rd Feb 2011, 20:01

Rainhands
23rd Feb 2011, 20:02
Other questions so far will have to waint untill tomorrow, dont want to piss of EM.

You can answer my questions as they only relate to the first level and are pretty general. Go ahead ;).

Michael Berry
23rd Feb 2011, 20:08
What about music played during the missions if it was at all? Is it context dependent? Does it sound like in the first game?
P.S.: if you can't answer today due to embargo, answer the questions after it's lifted, please. So far I couldn't find any information regarding soundtrack. Thanks.

nordoM
23rd Feb 2011, 20:13
I demand that you edit my typos!

Done.:D
Though I only saw a single typo there.

Irate_Iguana
23rd Feb 2011, 20:14

How are the augmentations divided amongst the four pillars that have been mentioned? Approximate number per pillar?
What are the augmentations that Adam starts out with?
Are there any consumables such as Thermoptic camo and Rebreathers?
Is Adam be able to find and use standard keys?
Is there any opening of lockers and crates or do you find all loot just laying there?
Does the level design feature frequent instances of conveniently placed waist-high walls?
How many different types of combat AI are there?
How many different states of alertness are there for AI guards?
Do guards still suffer from extreme forgetfulness?
Are vents still impenetrable sanctuaries for the sneaky player?
Are there any unskippable cutscenes?
Are PC players able to define their own hotkeys?
Is there locational damage for either Adam or the NPC's? Are there at least damage multipliers on body parts?

Daeda
23rd Feb 2011, 20:15
P.S.: if you can't answer today due to embargo, answer the questions after it's lifted, please. So far I couldn't find any information regarding soundtrack. Thanks.

First mission I can answer. Among others it featured (a remix of) Unatco HQ. Cant be more Deus Ex than that. Music is great, no worries :)

Pinky_Powers
23rd Feb 2011, 20:58
What colour socks does Adam wear, and is there much drama in the choosing? I'm always in such a right state over things like this, and I'd like to see this reflected in my protagonist.

JCpies
23rd Feb 2011, 21:28
He can't possibly answer that question. Here, let me pose it a in a more reasonable fashion.

In your time playing a very small portion of an unfinished build, how many hobos did you kill?

Let's all remember that the final version will probably give us the opportunity to kill many many more hobos.

Yes, but how do we know there are many more hobos? How do we know he killed them? Are they even killable? Do we know if the hobo really was a hobo?

The hobo I saw today looked like a hobo, but what's to say he wasn't just cosplaying?

dxb
23rd Feb 2011, 21:32
Well, in all honesty, isn't it just that much more rewarding if we get to kill cosplayers?

JCpies
23rd Feb 2011, 21:38
Well, in all honesty, isn't it just that much more rewarding if we get to kill cosplayers?

Then why isn't Angel-A dead yet? :confused:

dxb
23rd Feb 2011, 21:45
The game's not out yet.

::EDIT::

This just got real mobid real fast.

Ashpolt
23rd Feb 2011, 22:03
To be honest, if you didn't get to try out any of the exploration side of the game, that's about 90% of the questions I had written off already. *Sigh* Why are Eidos Montreal so keen to promote this as just an action title, while all the time telling us that it isn't? Also, if you played the first few hours and none of that involved city exploration, that's pretty disappointing IMO.

So, the questions I have remaining;

-Did you get to try the PC version? (Think it's safe to assume this is a "no" from the start, but worth asking just in case.)

-Did you try playing during combat and stealth without using the third person cover system? If so, how well did it work?

-Once you've alerted enemies, is it possible to slip away, or will they just hunt you relentlessly until either you're dead or they are?

-Did you get to try the hacking minigame? How was it?

-Did you get to try the hacking minigame more than a handful of times? If so, does it become tedious after the first few?

-The claymore is the only direct attack aug we've seen so far (other than the armblades, I guess) - are there more? Personally, I hope not, I'd rather see a lot more "function" augs and leave the attacking to weapons.

Coyotegrey
23rd Feb 2011, 22:09
To be honest, if you didn't get to try out any of the exploration side of the game, that's about 90% of the questions I had written off already. *Sigh* Why are Eidos Montreal so keen to promote this as just an action title, while all the time telling us that it isn't? Also, if you played the first few hours and none of that involved city exploration, that's pretty disappointing IMO.

-Did you get to try the PC version? (Think it's safe to assume this is a "no" from the start, but worth asking just in case.)

-Did you try playing during combat and stealth without using the third person cover system? If so, how well did it work?

-Once you've alerted enemies, is it possible to slip away, or will they just hunt you relentlessly until either you're dead or they are?

-Did you get to try the hacking minigame more than a handful of times? If so, does it become tedious after the first few?

-The claymore is the only direct attack aug we've seen so far (other than the armblades, I guess) - are there more? Personally, I hope not, I'd rather see a lot more "function" augs and leave the attacking to weapons.

We're promoting it "just as an action title?"

dxb
23rd Feb 2011, 22:18
Yeah, the trailers and previews thus far have never mentioned anything about social aspects, hacking, e-books, pda's, stealth, plot, multiple endings, character building or anything else uncommon to straight action titles.

Ashpolt
23rd Feb 2011, 22:21
Trailers: Action

What you've shown to the press: Tutorial and action (apparently)

Pretty much all of the screenshots show Adam with his weapon pointed at someone, or behind cover hiding from someone.

(Note: I count stealth as action, as it's still you vs enemies whether you kill them or not.)

OK, we've seen about 5 minutes of Shanghai city exploration - but that was through a leaked video, not officially released footage. And that was nearly a year ago, and we've had nothing of the sort since. And that was run through as quickly as possible so you could show off the action.

Where's DXHR's Hell's Kitchen? Hong Kong? Paris? Heck, where's DXHR's UNATCO HQ?* You keep telling us these exploration heavy areas are in there, so why does all of the media focus on action?

*Granted we've seen a whole minute and a half of Sarif Industries HQ, which I assume performs a similar function to UNATCO HQ, but from what I understand from the previews, most of that's on-rails.....until you get to the action.

Where are these conversation battles you keep telling us so much about?

So, yeah, you're promoting it as just an action title. You keep telling us it's not just an action title, but there's a chasm between what you say and what you show us at pretty much every level of DXHR. (See also: The PC version is being treated well, and won't be a sloppy console port, BUT WE WON'T SHOW YOU THE PC VERSION OR ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT IT.)

By all means, please prove me wrong.

Irate_Iguana
23rd Feb 2011, 22:34
Yeah, the trailers and previews thus far have never mentioned anything about social aspects, hacking, e-books, pda's, stealth, plot, multiple endings, character building or anything else uncommon to straight action titles.

Sarcasm is not your forte. Just stick to your own style. I like that much better.

Do you see what these things all have in common? They haven't been shown in either a trailer or screenshots or even described in detail. When it comes to all the pillars of the game, except the action, all we have to go on is EM's word and the copy+paste previews. These things might very well be incorporated wonderfully into the game, but judging from all the material released so far we have no clue on how they work and feel in the game. The extent of our information on these things is "it is marvelous, just trust us". What we have seen are flashy kills, guns, grenades and rocket ships. Where is the video showing off this much touted social combat? The intricate hacking mini-game? Where are the snippets of flavor text?

dxb
23rd Feb 2011, 22:49
I was going to pull up a Deus Ex trailer, thinking, "Surely, all trailers ever showcase the action aspects because they're more cinematic. This will show Ashpolt!" This is what I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpEoLH0cUSw

It's the most informative trailer I've ever seen. Ever.
Ashpolt, Iguana of an Indignant Nature, I bow to your collective wisdom.

WHAT THE HECK SQUEENIX?!

mentalkase
23rd Feb 2011, 23:03
First mission I can answer. Among others it featured (a remix of) Unatco HQ. Cant be more Deus Ex than that. Music is great, no worries :)

That's pretty sweet if you ask me. I'd like to see some more of that .. old tunes mixed naturally with the new ones.

subtlesnake
23rd Feb 2011, 23:19
We haven't seen a much of the game in general. There's only been a single two minute gameplay trailer, which is split and half and half between stealth/exploration and combat, and the original walkthrough which features some 'exploration', a conversation battle, a little stealth, and finally combat.

Rheinhold
23rd Feb 2011, 23:20
That video really is telling a lot more about the game it portrays then any of the cinematic action-fileld CG-flicks that are fed to the public about DX:HR.
OK, one can clearly see that the vid is old, but it does give good information along with (old!) cinematics.
The cinematics blah is all there, now we need info...

Coyotegrey
23rd Feb 2011, 23:32
Trailers: Action

The CG trailer showed an awful lot more than action. We've also demoed the game to the press and public using conversational gameplay, stealth, and more. Additionally, in one of the latest trailers we showed hacking, the inventory system, and and and.

What you've shown to the press: Tutorial and action (apparently)

It's not really a tutorial. The how-to videos are there if you want to watch them, but they're skippable. Also, the player decides how they want to experience the game after Adam becomes augmented. I played it slow and stealthy, killing no one, and outright ignoring most. Others have played it differently.

Pretty much all of the screenshots show Adam with his weapon pointed at someone, or behind cover hiding from someone.

Heyo! http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=113259

(Note: I count stealth as action, as it's still you vs enemies whether you kill them or not.)

OK, we've seen about 5 minutes of Shanghai city exploration - but that was through a leaked video, not officially released footage. And that was nearly a year ago, and we've had nothing of the sort since. And that was run through as quickly as possible so you could show off the action.

Actually, the time spent in that demo is 50% exploration and 50% what you define as combat. That was the intention from the start.

Where's DXHR's Hell's Kitchen? Hong Kong? Paris? Heck, where's DXHR's UNATCO HQ?* You keep telling us these exploration heavy areas are in there, so why does all of the media focus on action?

*Granted we've seen a whole minute and a half of Sarif Industries HQ, which I assume performs a similar function to UNATCO HQ, but from what I understand from the previews, most of that's on-rails.....until you get to the action.

Where are these conversation battles you keep telling us so much about?

So, yeah, you're promoting it as just an action title. You keep telling us it's not just an action title, but there's a chasm between what you say and what you show us at pretty much every level of DXHR. (See also: The PC version is being treated well, and won't be a sloppy console port, BUT WE WON'T SHOW YOU THE PC VERSION OR ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT IT.)

All in due time. I know you want to see more, and we're thankful for your interest, but have patience my friend! We haven't announced a release date! It's not like the game is coming out tomorrow!

Jerion
23rd Feb 2011, 23:36
it's not like the game is coming out tomorrow!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0OhqT9vDKBM/TJLZE2JzQrI/AAAAAAAABTM/m3eKPDixeRk/s1600/440859-494_sad_kitty_super.jpg

Ashpolt
23rd Feb 2011, 23:36
We haven't seen a much of the game in general. There's only been a single two minute gameplay trailer, which is split and half and half between stealth/exploration and combat, and the original walkthrough which features some 'exploration', a conversation battle, a little stealth, and finally combat.

Actually we've seen three gameplay trailers:

1) The Shanghai one, which is a shortened version of the leaked gameplay footage. A very small amount of exploration, followed by action.

2) The "penthouse is at the top of the building Jensen" trailer, which was all action.

3) The "you are Adam Jensen" trailer, which featured a bit of Sarif industries (which we now know is on-rails in the full game) and then action.

Note again that I'm including stealth in the category of "action," as it's still "you vs enemies" rather than exploration or conversation.

@dxb: Yeah, that trailer is pretty good. Sure, the music is terrible and the production values of the whole thing are less than I spend on an average tank of petrol, but it definitely shows you what Deus Ex is about - and that's not just killing enemies or stealthing past them in "cool" ways.

Time for a replay of Deus Ex? Quite, quite possibly.

[EDIT] Ooh, Kyle replied while I was typing this. Gimme 5 minutes...

The CG trailer showed an awful lot more than action.

The CG trailer showed nothing of the game. It could show men riding dragons throwing wolves at ants, but it doesn't mean that's in the game.

We've also demoed the game to the press and public using conversational gameplay, stealth, and more.

I don't care a jot what you've shown the press, or even what you've shown the public at limited events, such as office visits. The general public has seen very little of that. Unofficially, we've seen a bit of the conversational gameplay (though not, as far as I'm aware, the conversation battles EM keep talking about) and some of a city - though no exploration as such, as the player went straight to his objective - in the Shanghai gameplay trailer. Officially, we've seen about a minute of that. Other than that trailer, it's either been action or, in the latest trailer, on-rails exploration.

Additionally, in one of the latest trailers we showed hacking, the inventory system, and and and.

...But did so in a combat scenario.

It's not really a tutorial. The how-to videos are there if you want to watch them, but they're skippable.

Careful what you're saying here: if it's not a tutorial, why does the player have infinite ammo?

Also, the player decides how they want to experience the game after Adam becomes augmented. I played it slow and stealthy, killing no one, and outright ignoring most. Others have played it differently.

But still, ultimately, there are enemies around, and you're in danger. Whether you play it shooty or stealthy, it's still an action section. What I mean by "not an action section" are moments like UNATCO HQ, Hell's Kitchen the first time you visit or Hong Kong. Moments like that are still in DXHR, right? Right? So why, barring a leaked video and one minute in a cut down version of that same video, are we not being shown that?

Heyo! http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=113259

Except for the shots taken from the CG trailer (which again, does not show us the game) the vast majority of those shots confirm what I said above, so I stand by my point here.

Actually, the time spent in that demo is 50% exploration and 50% what you define as combat. That was the intention from the start.

Ignoring the leaked gameplay footage, we've only seen about a minute of that, in the cut down trailer of that leaked footage. So of 3 "gameplay" trailers (and I'm reluctant to call them that, as they're heavily edited action/cutscene snippets rather than pure gameplay,) half of one of them has shown us the non-action side of the game - and even that moved into action quickly enough. Maybe see where my point is here?

All in due time. I know you want to see more, and we're thankful for your interest, but have patience my friend! We haven't announced a release date! It's not like the game is coming out tomorrow!

If you've got time to release action heavy footage, you've got time to release footage showing the other side of the game too. I know, I know "the marketing plan", yadda yadda, but you already know full well what I think of that plan. And besides, if showing pretty much purely the action side of the game is part of the marketing plan, surely that proves the point I was originally making - that you're promoting it as an action game?

Anyway, apologies to Daeda for being involved in the derailing of this thread, it wasn't my intention. Does anyone else have any more questions?

ZakKa89
23rd Feb 2011, 23:42
cute kitty pic

There goes my hope as well. :lmao:

"penthouse is at the top of the building Jensen" was not all action. It showed exploration (placing a box to get into a shaft) and the hacking minigame. I have no worries the game will be to action-centric. All previews I've read have led me to believe otherwise. From what I read, you'd want to avoid direct confrontation with enemies as much as possible and find different means to get past/trough them then just shooting them.

nordoM
24th Feb 2011, 00:03
We haven't announced a release date! It's not like the game is coming out tomorrow!

Jerion expressed it already quite well. Kyle, please say that you meant it literally and are not implying anything else.

Coyotegrey
24th Feb 2011, 00:26
Jerion expressed it already quite well. Kyle, please say that you meant it literally and are not implying anything else.

I meant it literally, of course.

@Ashpolt: Dude. There's just no pleasing you. Will this hug be okay? *hug

Jerion
24th Feb 2011, 00:37
In the future, when you folks feel like taking something off the rails in another tangent, feel free to use this image I snagged off the RT forums. Please reorient thread in the original direction as soon as possible.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/Zeoman1001/Hijack-DeNiro.jpg

BigBoss
24th Feb 2011, 00:39
Actually we've seen three gameplay trailers:

1) The Shanghai one, which is a shortened version of the leaked gameplay footage. A very small amount of exploration, followed by action.

2) The "penthouse is at the top of the building Jensen" trailer, which was all action.

3) The "you are Adam Jensen" trailer, which featured a bit of Sarif industries (which we now know is on-rails in the full game) and then action.

Note again that I'm including stealth in the category of "action," as it's still "you vs enemies" rather than exploration or conversation.

@dxb: Yeah, that trailer is pretty good. Sure, the music is terrible and the production values of the whole thing are less than I spend on an average tank of petrol, but it definitely shows you what Deus Ex is about - and that's not just killing enemies or stealthing past them in "cool" ways.

Time for a replay of Deus Ex? Quite, quite possibly.

[EDIT] Ooh, Kyle replied while I was typing this. Gimme 5 minutes...

The CG trailer showed nothing of the game. It could show men riding dragons throwing wolves at ants, but it doesn't mean that's in the game.

I don't care a jot what you've shown the press, or even what you've shown the public at limited events, such as office visits. The general public has seen very little of that. Unofficially, we've seen a bit of the conversational gameplay (though not, as far as I'm aware, the conversation battles EM keep talking about) and some of a city - though no exploration as such, as the player went straight to his objective - in the Shanghai gameplay trailer. Officially, we've seen about a minute of that. Other than that trailer, it's either been action or, in the latest trailer, on-rails exploration.

...But did so in a combat scenario.

Careful what you're saying here: if it's not a tutorial, why does the player have infinite ammo?

But still, ultimately, there are enemies around, and you're in danger. Whether you play it shooty or stealthy, it's still an action section. What I mean by "not an action section" are moments like UNATCO HQ, Hell's Kitchen the first time you visit or Hong Kong. Moments like that are still in DXHR, right? Right? So why, barring a leaked video and one minute in a cut down version of that same video, are we not being shown that?

Except for the shots taken from the CG trailer (which again, does not show us the game) the vast majority of those shots confirm what I said above, so I stand by my point here.

Ignoring the leaked gameplay footage, we've only seen about a minute of that, in the cut down trailer of that leaked footage. So of 3 "gameplay" trailers (and I'm reluctant to call them that, as they're heavily edited action/cutscene snippets rather than pure gameplay,) half of one of them has shown us the non-action side of the game - and even that moved into action quickly enough. Maybe see where my point is here?

If you've got time to release action heavy footage, you've got time to release footage showing the other side of the game too. I know, I know "the marketing plan", yadda yadda, but you already know full well what I think of that plan. And besides, if showing pretty much purely the action side of the game is part of the marketing plan, surely that proves the point I was originally making - that you're promoting it as an action game?

Anyway, apologies to Daeda for being involved in the derailing of this thread, it wasn't my intention. Does anyone else have any more questions?

Coyotegrey, I think the solution here is to divide your PR into two groups. One to deliver content to the community, and the other to handle the shear amount of whining Ashpolt does HE'S JUST TOO POWERFUL FOR ONE MAN!!!!!!!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Feb 2011, 00:41

Awesome, the Unatco track is one of my faves. Thanks for this info. :thumb:

Ashpolt
24th Feb 2011, 00:54
@Ashpolt: Dude. There's just no pleasing you. Will this hug be okay? *hug

I'm very confused by the idea (mentioned by a few people) that there's no pleasing me. I've been very, very upfront with my hopes for this title, and what I'd like to see from the marketing of it, throughout. The fact that what we've been shown so far doesn't match up with those expectations doesn't make me unpleasable. Start releasing PC footage showing the non-action oriented side of the game and I'll be the first to sing your praises. Release a demo (showing the exploration and action side of things, obviously) and I'll....well, let's just say, it'll be more than a hug. ;)

Note: Before the inevitable response (not from you Kyle, from some smart-ass or another (and @BigBoss, below: no, I said smart-ass)): no, I'm not saying the marketing should all revolve around me and what I want. Not at all. However, this isn't about what I want, it's about EM putting their money where their mouth is and actually showing us things they're constantly promising. The PC version is being given adequate care and attention, and isn't just a lazy console port? Show it. The game isn't more action heavy than DX1, and in fact features the same balance of action and exploration? Show it. The conversation battle system is deep and offers more than your usual RPG conversations? Show it. And if you can't show it? Don't promise it. I won't buy a game based on unsubstantiated promises.

Jerion
24th Feb 2011, 01:02
The PC version is being given adequate care and attention, and isn't just a lazy console port? Show it.

There's a plan for that.

Too soon?

BigBoss
24th Feb 2011, 01:03
Note: Before the inevitable response (not from you Kyle, from some smart-ass or another)

Too late:lol:

Edit: since you are all talking about the ost, that Sarif Industries theme is pretty boss too

Ashpolt
24th Feb 2011, 01:05
There's a plan for that.

Too soon?

I'll give you a plan!

Your mum's a plan!

Plan THIS!

Yeah, I don't have a witty response to that.

TrickyVein
24th Feb 2011, 01:12
I've got a question.

Reven
24th Feb 2011, 01:12
I agree with Ashpolt the needs of the people in here are a LOT differant from the people out their. most people here have already bought the game...now we want to know what we are getting for our money.

Ashpolt
24th Feb 2011, 01:19
I agree with Ashpolt the needs of the people in here are a LOT differant from the people out their. most people here have already bought the game...now we want to know what we are getting for our money.

...That's not what I was saying at all.

3rdmillhouse
24th Feb 2011, 01:35
In the future, when you folks feel like taking something off the rails in another tangent, feel free to use this image I snagged off the RT forums. Please reorient thread in the original direction as soon as possible.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/Zeoman1001/Hijack-DeNiro.jpg

AHAHAH :lol: I'll do that.

Reven
24th Feb 2011, 01:37
Sorry Ashpolt let me clear that up for you. i agree with what you were saying about the marketing focusing on one aspect of many, the last part is my own opinion on the marketing of which i am VERY critical of. many apologies if it seemed i was twisting your words to my own ends.

Ashpolt
24th Feb 2011, 01:37
Sorry Ashpolt let me clear that up. i agree with what you are saying about the marketing of the game being one sided and having a different focus. the last part is my opinion on the marketing. many apologies if it seemed like i was twisting your words to my own ends.

S'cool bro. High five?

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/upload/2010/04/did_the_universe_start_from_a/High%20Five.jpeg

But yeah, don't assume everyone on here has already bought the game, or decided to buy it. I certainly haven't.

Anyway, as we're on a new page, seems like a good opportunity to get back on track - questions! Here are my questions from the previous page, without the comments that started the derailment:

Reven
24th Feb 2011, 01:51
Very well ashpolt let us start afresh with a question.

How do NPC's act and react to Jensens movement through the world ? do they become annoyied if he disrupts them while they work or watch him as he moves around them becoming angry if he begins using their terminals?. forcing us to become mindful of our actions around them ?.

PS. is that a lynx ?

Gaunt88
24th Feb 2011, 03:27
Continuing re-rail:

- I'm not sure if this has been confirmed elsewhere, but it looks like the first level is HUD-less (what with Adam still all-natural at this point), with the AR being given a laser sight to make up for the lack of crosshairs. Is this true? If so, its a neat touch :)

Also, thanks a lot for volunteering to answer these questions for us :thumb:

Whompa
24th Feb 2011, 03:36
you answered like 2 questions...

IOOI
24th Feb 2011, 03:38
(what with Adam still all-natural at this point)

No. He has Regen. :(

Jerion
24th Feb 2011, 03:54

Are you one-hundred-percent certain that he has regen prior to augmentations? Was this spelled out in a preview?

Gaunt88
24th Feb 2011, 03:59

Be gratefull he even answered those. That's 2 more than you'd get if he didn't volunteer.

The guy is probably busy - that or the sudden de-rail scared him away.

It's a training level. It's going to need to let you get a feel for how the HR mechanic works. If it is present pre-augmentation, well, as far as I'm concerned it's an Acceptable Break From Reality / a bit of Gameplay & Story Segregation.

That being said, it not beng present pre-augs would be a nice touch.

jtr7
24th Feb 2011, 04:16
He also said he had to wait for the embargo to lift tomorrow, so obviously he's collecting questions today!

BigBoss
24th Feb 2011, 04:20
What do you guys propose as a solution? If they plan on using regen for the rest of the game, and take it out for the first half hour, do you want to just keep seeing more and more red? Health packs for just that one part? (don't say just take out regen for the whole game, obviously they wont do that)

IOOI
24th Feb 2011, 05:17
Are you one-hundred-percent certain that he has regen prior to augmentations? Was this spelled out in a preview?

I only got this quote from siliconera article (http://www.siliconera.com/2011/02/21/hands-on-deus-ex-human-revolution-while-adam-is-still-fully-human/).

The screen’s contrast shifts to red when you get hit, but Adam still has auto-regenerative health even though he isn’t augmented.

------------------------------------------

It's a training level. It's going to need to let you get a feel for how the HR mechanic works. If it is present pre-augmentation, well, as far as I'm concerned it's an Acceptable Break From Reality / a bit of Gameplay & Story Segregation.

That being said, it not beng present pre-augs would be a nice touch.

It's not acceptable to me because it breaks the idea of being fully-human - story just went to the garbage bin there :(:(:(:(:(. They could give him limited health, make him pick up armor or even justify by placing somekind of technological advanced health item throughout the level (e.g. medkit; not RH per se) - I mean placing health items through that one level shouldn't require the same amount of work as designing the whole game with it.
This only gets me more disappointed with how the game is designed (DUGAS!!!:mad2:) and makes me realise that there's no worry with little details like this. And it even gives me less hope of seing a game with the same health model (or a similar/evolution of it) as DX. This kind of things should deserve attention.

What do you guys propose as a solution? If they plan on using regen for the rest of the game, and take it out for the first half hour, do you want to just keep seeing more and more red? Health packs for just that one part? (don't say just take out regen for the whole game, obviously they wont do that)

This:

If the "tutorial" can't be skipped and/or if it gives you story and missions elements in advance - if you choose to explore - then make a "Deus Ex difficulty level" version of it (limited bullets, limited health, even put health restoration items if needed, etc...).

Problem solved! (No need for much playtesting on this one I suppose.) :hmm:

[...]if it's true that there are things to discover about the game in the tutorial - you'll have to play it more than once to fully explore. Even if they decide to make the combat part of the tutorial skippable (with a "six months later" screen message) it would seem strange and break the experience.
The tutorial is integrated in the game; It is considered a part of the main game; It is explorable. You can't just skip it.

LeMoN_LiMe
24th Feb 2011, 05:46
oooooohhhhh questions!

1. Conversation system is totally like Mass Effect isn't it? You pick a phrase that you think means "anger" but then actually means "jealousy", thus totally ruining the intended conversation? Got to love not being able to pick exactly what you say. :D

2. Is the difficulty really as hard as they say it will be? (did you play on "Deus Ex"?....I will :cool: )

3. How are the cells divided up on the console version? Loading screens every floor?

4. DOES THE VOICE ACTING SYNC? Hated Assassins Creed for this.......

5. Does the game feel ciberpunky? (spelling? :scratch: )

6. Does the game suck? :hmm:

BigBoss
24th Feb 2011, 06:53
@ IOOI: so health packs for the one section and then not for the rest of the game?

Cronstintein
24th Feb 2011, 07:09
regarding conversations: I'm pretty sure you can see what you'll say in advance if you don't want to verbally fire from the hip. Although personally I kind of like having it be a surprise vs reading it then hearing it.

MaxxQ1
24th Feb 2011, 09:03
regarding conversations: I'm pretty sure you can see what you'll say in advance if you don't want to verbally fire from the hip. Although personally I kind of like having it be a surprise vs reading it then hearing it.

Wasn't there some kind of confirmation awhile back that if you hover the cursor over your one-word choice, that actual dialogue would appear, thus eliminating the uncertainty?

Irate_Iguana
24th Feb 2011, 09:08
Wasn't there some kind of confirmation awhile back that if you hover the cursor over your one-word choice, that actual dialogue would appear, thus eliminating the uncertainty?

It's been said a few times. You can even see it in action (briefly) in the leaked section of gameplay. You get the dialog wheel and once you select an option the entire sentence appears.

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 09:18
Good morning all. Embargo will be lifted somewhere today so re-rail this thread and prepare for some answers :)

Very well ashpolt let us start afresh with a question.

How do NPC's act and react to Jensens movement through the world ? do they become annoyied if he disrupts them while they work or watch him as he moves around them becoming angry if he begins using their terminals?. forcing us to become mindful of our actions around them ?.

PS. is that a lynx ?

I'm not sure about all NPCs but they do notice you using computers. In the first minutes of the game you can read dr Reid's PC and she will comment on it. It's safe to assume this also happens with the rest. Havent tried pissing NPCs off though, as I was on a time limit to finish the demo and in the beginning not much is present to annoy them yet.

Continuing re-rail:

- I'm not sure if this has been confirmed elsewhere, but it looks like the first level is HUD-less (what with Adam still all-natural at this point), with the AR being given a laser sight to make up for the lack of crosshairs. Is this true? If so, its a neat touch :)

Also, thanks a lot for volunteering to answer these questions for us :thumb:

Yes this is true. No HUD, as that is an augmentation. I liked this presentation as well.

I'm making sure I dont break the embargo. Could cost my website a lot of money if we make Square pissed of, so please just wait for a couple of hours. These questions can all be answered based on tutorial, rest will come somewhere today.

Yes he has health regen in the tutorial. Since there is no hud in the beginning its hard to tell when it regenerates though.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Feb 2011, 09:25
We're all happy to wait for the answers, no worries. :thumb:

I have a question: Did you encounter any intelligent and alert guard dogs?
Merci.

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 09:25
oooooohhhhh questions!

1. Conversation system is totally like Mass Effect isn't it? You pick a phrase that you think means "anger" but then actually means "jealousy", thus totally ruining the intended conversation? Got to love not being able to pick exactly what you say. :D

In conversation options, when you hover over a word describing whay you're gonna say, it will also show the exact sentence Adam will say. So you neer get surprised (atleast in the first line)

2. Is the difficulty really as hard as they say it will be? (did you play on "Deus Ex"?....I will :cool: )

I played on normal. Died a lot. So yeah, its hard, but in a good way. You're all really better of for starting to like the cover system, cause it not only makes the combat somewhat better than the original, it is sort of necessary to survive.

3. How are the cells divided up on the console version? Loading screens every floor?

The game only loads when you enter a new level. In the case of the demo, that would be 3 loading screens. The rest is hidden in stuff like elevators etc, so you dont notice them. Also, there is some loading time when loading a savegame.

4. DOES THE VOICE ACTING SYNC? Hated Assassins Creed for this.......

Well, its no LA Noire but I liked the voice acting and lip sync seemed fine.

5. Does the game feel ciberpunky? (spelling? :scratch: )

Yes

6. Does the game suck? :hmm:

No. My site still has it listed as #1 game for 2011 (partly due to me being excited about the game)

Red
24th Feb 2011, 09:56
Does Adam afraid of anything?

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 09:59
Puppies

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Feb 2011, 10:05
Puppies

LOL. Puppies that grow up to be viscious guard dogs... by any chance? :p

vallux
24th Feb 2011, 10:08
Puppies

Sir. If I may. You are awesome.

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 10:13
LOL. Puppies that grow up to be viscious guard dogs... by any chance? :p

Well because of his fears they hid all of the puppies in the demo. So I didnt see any guard dogs. Doesnt mean they're not there ofcource, just not in the opening levels.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Feb 2011, 10:19
Well because of his fears they hid all of the puppies in the demo. So I didnt see any guard dogs. Doesnt mean they're not there ofcource, just not in the opening levels.

Okay, thank you.

Another question, if I may. I presume you took a break from playing to enjoy EM special blend tea and choc-chip cookies, so what does Adam do when the game is left and idle mode kicks in?
Thanks again.

BigBoss
24th Feb 2011, 10:44
Does Adam afraid of anything?

I think dues ex is a pretty cool guy. eh gets augs forced on him and doesnt afraid of anything.

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 10:54
Okay, thank you.

Another question, if I may. I presume you took a break from playing to enjoy EM special blend tea and choc-chip cookies, so what does Adam do when the game is left and idle mode kicks in?
Thanks again.

We only had 2.5 hours of playing time (some other groups had 3) and I was late for the presentation due to a suicide on the railroad. So I didnt have time to take a break :P

BigBoss
24th Feb 2011, 10:58
and I was late for the presentation due to a suicide on the railroad.:P
Sweet Jesus........did anyone else kind of laugh from the shear horribleness of this statement? You might as well say "I was late because the bus carrying orphans in front of me exploded"

motsm
24th Feb 2011, 11:00
Is the ammo counter always there after you receive your initial augmentations? What about objective markers and radar? How does the radar work?I second this getting answered.

Also, any further details on the health system. They originally said there would be slow health regeneration, but also health items, did you run into any?

Mindmute
24th Feb 2011, 11:06
Sweet Jesus........did anyone else kind of laugh from the shear horribleness of this statement? You might as well say "I was late because the bus carrying orphans in front of me exploded"

He was a bit nonchalant about it wasn't he?

A few questions if you can, Daeda:

Can you comment on how agressive/responsive the AI felt? Did they always attack you more or less in the same manner or they did they seem to react and adapt to what you were doing?

How often did you run out of BE (or how easy was it to keep the Augs on for extended periods)?

How did guards react when suspicious that someone was in the room/Did they even seem to ever be suspicious or just jumped from oblivious to "there he is!"?

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 11:08

Actually, I think its different. I mean, in the case of a suicide the one dying does so by choice and leaves all his loved ones in mourning. Orphans in car crash is not by choice, nor does it, sadly, have much loved ones to mourn them. One is someone making a (sad) choice and doing so in the most annoying way possible (seriously if id kill myself id try to do it without cause other people trouble). The other wold be a tragic accident. I'm dutch, we have trainjumpers a couple times a week.

BigBoss
24th Feb 2011, 11:22
I'm dutch, we have trainjumpers a couple times a week.

Whaaaaaat? We've had one in like 15 years, that's insane. You people need to take your meds and stay happy. Sheesh.

dxb
24th Feb 2011, 11:54

Sorry for the re-post. Didn't want to get forgotten. :P

Darthassin
24th Feb 2011, 12:14
Is general-gameplay-feel similar to the DeusEx 1? Is it really thinking shooter?

Did you find any "secret areas" on the map(s) during Your play?

What whas the most memorable thing from your gameplay experiance?

During first real mission in DE:HR - did you try diffrent aproaches to solve the problems?

AxiomaticBadger
24th Feb 2011, 12:38
Yeah, hoppers happen pretty often here in germany too. Honestly, I jumping in front of a train pretty much kills all sympathy I have for the jumper.

Is there an in-game reason given for infinite ammo, such as an npc follower giving you new clips every time you reload, or is it just handwaved?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Feb 2011, 12:45
With Daeda's kind permission, a summary of the Q&As has been added to first post, first page.

Pretentious Old Man.
24th Feb 2011, 12:47
Could you sum up the game in five words?

Tjeerd84
24th Feb 2011, 12:57
I'm dutch, we have trainjumpers a couple times a week.

I'm dutch too. (Hoi Daeda!) In the Netherlands we have the highest density of railroads (and normal roads) in the world. Last five years we got an average of about two train-suicides per week.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate
or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Self-inflicted_injuries_world_map_-_Death_-_WHO2004.svg

will show everyone that it's not the Dutch who need to take more meds. The Netherlands has one of the lowest suicidal rate in the world! (Lower then Germany, France, USA, Canada and the UK to name a few) It's just that 11% will choose a train here, which is quite a lot and in my opinion a very stupid thing to do. People who chose the train, probably have had a miserable life because they were so selfish!

On topic: Do you know anything about the pc hardware being used to run DX:HR in your session? And did the engine run well?

ZakKa89
24th Feb 2011, 13:02
Full of dutch guys here!

Rheinhold
24th Feb 2011, 13:11
Ja, vertel mij wat... :p

On another note: I have this one question.
When you walk around in those levels, do these levels also feel 'alive', much like a real existing place? As if it's inhabited, rather then patrolled?

Second question: can I be more vague? :scratch:

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 14:32
Not 100% sure but it seems the embargo will be lifted in 1.5 hours. Will start answering afterwards, though I also have a deadline to make so might not be able to answer everything today. Will try though.

VectorM
24th Feb 2011, 15:06

Are you waiting for him to say "Just a Mass Effect clone" ? :lol:

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 15:15

A lot like Deus Ex

Kvltism
24th Feb 2011, 15:18
A lot like Deus Ex

Music to my ears, I say.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Feb 2011, 15:20
A lot like Deus Ex

That's the one! :cool::thumb:

handgriffsorgfaeltig
24th Feb 2011, 15:36
ok, ...and now the only relevant question so far: did you saw Fedorova's augmented ass ; and is it worth all the infernal trouble?

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 15:44
ok, ...and now the only relevant question so far: did you saw Fedorova's augmented ass ; and is it worth all the infernal trouble?

She does appear in the tutorial, but only so briefly that you dont have time to admire dat ass ;)

handgriffsorgfaeltig
24th Feb 2011, 15:47
She does appear in the tutorial, but only so briefly that you dont have time to admire dat ass ;)

thank you very much ( for your kind and honest answer) , sir !

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Feb 2011, 15:48
Hehe, love this thread. :D

MrFoxter
24th Feb 2011, 16:11

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3023/deusexhumanrevolutionde.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/i/deusexhumanrevolutionde.jpg/)

;)

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 16:13
Allright people, here we go. First ill answer all questions, then Ill give some of my perspective.

1) I have no idea but I think it is final. No reason for EM to have the press cheat.
2) I believe it just gets a bit redish, but it didnt stant out from other games enough for me to remember exactly.
3) Hard to tell. I would say only the choices made at the end of the demo have long term effects, but I cant tell as the demo ended after the mission.
4) It ran fine, though auto-save was disabled. Felt near finished but David Anfossi told me they still had a lot of bugs to squash out. He also told me that he didnt want to release the game untill he's absolutely sure it is (as good as) bug free. It is esspecially important to EM since its their first game and they dont want to get known for buggy games. My guess for release is currently end of may, early june but thats just a gamble on my side.

There's a lot of discussion and information, some of which is not even presented to you directly. For example, in the opening of the game you can walk around the office of Megan Reid and look at magazines that cant be picked up. The text on their cover is relevant however. It seems like writing will be deep but its hard to give a definative answer based on what ive played.

Well, as you will have read by now in previews, the game asks you to choose between a lethal or non lethal weapon, and then ranged or close by. I picked ranged non lethal and got a tranq gun. I tried sneaking for the most part, but eventually I blew my cover and since I was on a time limit I decided to also use gunplay. Used a lot of cover, tried to take out gueard by a takedown when possible and tried to flank the AI. You need a lot of tactics in the game as you die easily in a direct gunfight. Mostly this means using cover and then sneaking around enemies (who will focus on the last place they've seen you) n order to take them down.

He likes purple socks with green dots. But he does leave the house when only his red ones are available.

MrFoxter
24th Feb 2011, 16:19
When you buy a new aug, is there any visible difference in Adam's appearance?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
24th Feb 2011, 16:28
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/3023/deusexhumanrevolutionde.jpg (http://img510.imageshack.us/i/deusexhumanrevolutionde.jpg/)

;)

Haha! Love it. With your kind permission, Sir, I might steal and use it for an avatar once the game is released. :D

MrFoxter
24th Feb 2011, 16:34
Haha! Love it. With your kind permission, Sir, I might steal and use it for an avatar once the game is released. :D

Sure, you're welcome ;)

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 16:37
Just a few questions, answer as you please.

1. Does the gunplay feel satisfying? I know that they are using the new cover system, does it feel like Brothers in arms 3 or Kane and Lynch 2? I use those as shooter examples.

Thanks

1) Havent played either. Cover system is almost a direct copy of Rainbow Six Vegas (according to Anfossi) so use that as your reference
2) The first level is strictly linear, the second is linear in that you always need to god a certain way for your objective. Id probably compare it to Aqua Lab in Deus Ex 1. The rooms are quite large though, so you are able to use you own tactic. Also it features a lot of vent shafts that lead to other parts of the room. I discussed the layout with Anfossi and he told me that the somewhat linear nature of the first levels is to slowly introduce the players into a Deus Ex playstyle. Mission after demo was a cityhub, so then it gets more free and Im quite confident that freedom will also grow over other missions. So you wont get thrown into too much freedom like Liberty Island. The map was huge though and it had some rooms you dont have to go. So multi path, but with (for this mission) a clear goal of where to go.
3) Well, there are two things I should point out here. Graphically, the game looks good but its not the most beautiful game I've ever played. But graphics arent everything and the most impressive thing about DXHR is its representation. Rooms are full with magazines, paperwork, cleaning products etc. Most of it is non interactive, but it really ives you a feeling that someone lives in those rooms. Design wise, not everything is functional in Deus Ex and I must say, Ive rarely seen so much detail in levels.
4) No, absolutely not. A takedown requires a full energy point. During the game, I had 2 and once you use them, only the first automatically regenerates. So this allows you to run into someone and kill them using a takedown (which quite frankly is much better than the melee attacks that never worked properly) but then another guard will gun you down because you're too close and dont have any energy left to also use a takedown on him.

I believe its only present is you aim using sights (ie left trigger on consoles). I didnt notice a radar, but I couldve just forgotten. I think its an augmentation I didnt have. Not sure though. Mission marker is just on map if im correct.

What are the augmentations that Adam starts out with?
Are there any consumables such as Thermoptic camo and Rebreathers?
Is Adam be able to find and use standard keys?
Is there any opening of lockers and crates or do you find all loot just laying there?
Does the level design feature frequent instances of conveniently placed waist-high walls?
How many different types of combat AI are there?
How many different states of alertness are there for AI guards?
Do guards still suffer from extreme forgetfulness?
Are vents still impenetrable sanctuaries for the sneaky player?
Are there any unskippable cutscenes?
Are PC players able to define their own hotkeys?
Is there locational damage for either Adam or the NPC's? Are there at least damage multipliers on body parts?

1) Id say most are stealth/action. Then also some trees for hacking and even less for social. Seemed like a right balance as you can imagine stealth and action being more important augmentations. There where a lot though and all of them had long upgrade trees so I tihnk customazation will be more than most can ask for.
2) Out of the top of my head: single takedown, augmented reality (ie ammo counter etc), basic hacking and communications. Might've forgotten about one though.
3) Didnt see any, but then again, there was no water for you to need a rebreather.
4) No, all locks are done by keypads/hacking. You can actually enter passwords on pc though.
5) There are lockers, dont think there where any crates.
6) Most of those things feel in place, such as crates or desks. No walls unless there need to be walls.
7) Hard to tell, often they focus on the last place they saw the player and then investigate/attack if they find you. Some retreat a bit for safty. Dont have a final vertict on the AI, but its definately better than the original (as you'd hope)
8) Id say: not alerted, alerted and sucpicious. Might also be one for them going from alerted to not alerted.
9) Not extremely, but if you stay hidden long enough they will resume (albeit probably more sucpicious)
10) Yes, I'd say so.
11) I think you could skip them, maybe not the cutscene after tutorial as it is a cut scene/credit roll thing. Didnt try since I was actually interested in the story.
13) For Adam, no idea. For enemies: you'll want to aim for the heads as ammo is scarce and they die much faster that way.

CoDEllite
24th Feb 2011, 16:44
1Cover system is almost a direct copy of Rainbow Six Vegas (according to Anfossi) so use that as your reference

good news :) loved the cover system in that game. any game borrows the shooting/cover from Rainbow Six Vegas series is sure to be tops in my books. now lets just hope that story is great

handgriffsorgfaeltig
24th Feb 2011, 16:45

;)

http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2010-04-04/1270414367820.jpg

@Daeda nice article your wrote, my dutch got (big time) rusty, but i got the tenor ^^

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 16:47

1) Played on PS3, others on X360. Dont think PC was demoed (probably partly due to the fact that setting up a console in a restaurant thingy in Paris is much easier than pcs.
2) Why would I? Seriously, the cover is an improvement, not a burden. YOu can probably sneak without using it, but its no fun. Shooting using first person works fine, especially since you have an iron sight. But if you're to bitter to use 3rd person, then dont buy the game as its meant to be appreciated the way it is.
3) They focus on where they last saw you and if they cant find you there they are mostly alerted.
4/5) Yes, I did. It was complex but eventually well though out. Getting bonusses out of it is challenging so I can imagine it will stay entertaining, but you could always search for the keycode if you dont want to hack. Not all devices can be hacked immediately btw, some need an upgrade on your augs.
6) Non that I used. So dont think so.

I've got a question.

In the demo, yeah, kind of. There is always an end goal and a few multi paths that lead there. Its just the beginning of the game though and probably intentional to slowly introduce players. Levels still felt open enough for multiple playthroughs, but you'll have to wait for city maps to really explore.

CoDEllite
24th Feb 2011, 16:51
2) Why would I? Seriously, the cover is an improvement, not a burden. YOu can probably sneak without using it, but its no fun. Shooting using first person works fine, especially since you have an iron sight. But if you're to bitter to use 3rd person, then dont buy the game as its meant to be appreciated the way it is.

^ This :thumb: . Youre my hero Daeda.

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 17:01

1) They take a few seconds to go from noticing you to shooting you. They where automatically hostile though, which is hardly a surprise as it was a combat mission.
2) Very often. You only have a few energy slots and especially in the beginning of the game, no real mehods for refilling em. Since takedowns require an energy slot (first always regenerates slowly) I ran out each time I took someone down. This made cloaking something I could only use for a couple of seconds before becoming visible again.
3) If they find a dead body they will research that and look around. If they then see you, they will attack obviously. But if you're invisible, they will be suspicious.

Is general-gameplay-feel similar to the DeusEx 1? Is it really thinking shooter?

Did you find any "secret areas" on the map(s) during Your play?

What whas the most memorable thing from your gameplay experiance?

During first real mission in DE:HR - did you try diffrent aproaches to solve the problems?

1) Yes, in terms of actual shooting maybe more so, as the cover system requires you to flank enemies, sneak up close for takedowns etc. Just starting by spraying bullets will get you killed. Plus, there isnt too much ammo so you try to save some.
2) Id say the on-rails walkthrough at the tutorial. In terms of level design, the opening of the second mission. In it you have a warehouse you can enter through both a door and the roos and inside its full of badguys that I just couldnt take out one by one without them noticing me (yeah I sucked ;) ). Also, the social boss fight at the end, but my audio went buggy and time ran out so it didnt leave the impression it should have :P
3) Yes, I tried sneaking at first, then more agressive. Tried augmentations, tranq darts, flanking, fleeing, you name it. It really allows you to form your own playstyle.

Ja, vertel mij wat... :p

On another note: I have this one question.

Second question: can I be more vague? :scratch:

1) Yes, the detail in each room is amazing and unlike any game ive seen. Not all interactive, mind you, but rooms are full of clutter so they dont feel sterile.
2) Yes you can.

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 17:06
When you buy a new aug, is there any visible difference in Adam's appearance?

No, not afaik

Rainbow6Team
24th Feb 2011, 17:11
Someone is getting a bit jumpy about critizing third person cover.

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 17:14
Good, some stuff I still want to share that havent been asked for yet.

Non-lethal tactics has a consequence in Human Revolution, as body found can be woken up by their allies. You can move bodies though, so it is possible to hide them. Enemies will research any body they find, which can be used as a trap. In the beginning of the second mission, I clmbed on a roof and tranq gunned an enemy. Then, when is mates came to research I also tranqt them (effect is near instant unlike crossbow in DX).

The game is hard. Health regenerates relatively slow compared to other games and you die fast, even on normal.

The augmentation energy only partly regenerates and this makes using them (in the beginning atleast) something you need to dose. As mentioned, only first of the bars you have actually regenerates.

You dont get many bullets from killing enemies, so ammo is scarce.

You can search bodies like in the first game. Just like there, weapons are dropped beside the bodies (and currently still a lot between their legs foring me to move the bodies)

Now some spoilery references to the first game:

Page Industries gets mentioned in the beginning

Heard an illuminati conspiracy on the radio.

And the best one: walking into the women's toilet in the Sarif Office will result in a comment from one of your co-workers.

motsm
24th Feb 2011, 17:15
2) Why would I? Seriously, the cover is an improvement, not a burden. YOu can probably sneak without using it, but its no fun. Shooting using first person works fine, especially since you have an iron sight. But if you're to bitter to use 3rd person, then dont buy the game as its meant to be appreciated the way it is.Why exactly would it be no fun in first person, any elaboration?

It would certainly make it much more challenging, but that's a good thing in my opinion.

MrFoxter
24th Feb 2011, 17:16
One more question, lil' bit more philosophic, but I believe you'll understand what I mean.

What happens when you die?

motsm
24th Feb 2011, 17:20
Oh, and nearly forgot, any word on that interactable object glow that was seen in a few videos? Was it still present, or know if it's toggleable etc.

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 17:21
One more question, lil' bit more philosophic, but I believe you'll understand what I mean.

What happens when you die?

Sarif gets angry cause you're worth like a bazillion dollars, they hold a funeral for Adam, the hostages die and most importantly, you press load save game.

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 17:24
Oh, and nearly forgot, any word on that interactable object glow that was seen in a few videos? Was it still present, or know if it's toggleable etc.

It's present, as it is an augmentation. Dont think you can turn it of. Now I remember some people being afraid this would ruin the exploration possibilities of the game. I wouldnt say its the case as the stuff usually only light up when you're really close (probably a bit less with items). Once you've found something to highlight (ie a door) then it will light up faster though.

Talking about exploration, now that I've read some other previews, perhaps its fun to note that I didnt find any hostages at all. So apparently, I missed some exploration (was in a bit of a hurry near the end, might explain). So there we have our answer as to how easy you can mis stuff in the game :D

Pretentious Old Man.
24th Feb 2011, 17:25
Er, why would first person not be fun? If I found it fun in Deus Ex, Thief and System Shock, why would I not find it fun now?

(That's a genuine question, if you believe there is some particular reason why it would not be fun, e.g. you would die a lot)

MrFoxter
24th Feb 2011, 17:28
Sarif gets angry cause you're worth like a bazillion dollars, they hold a funeral for Adam, the hostages die and most importantly, you press load save game.

So you can save where you want and then load, am I getting it right? Do you have any info if there will be an autosave system? (I can't imagine autosaves in the field but I have to ask.)

motsm
24th Feb 2011, 17:29
That item glow is going to down right piss me off. I have spent hours modding that crap out of countless games. :(

:Edit: I suppose on a related note. Did the game have controls pop up on the screen? Like "X to pick up box" or "Y to roll to cover" etc.

Also, appreciate your time spent answering these questions.

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 17:30
Why exactly would it be no fun in first person, any elaboration?

It would certainly make it much more challenging, but that's a good thing in my opinion.

Well, combat, yeah you can play in First person, though you'll probably die even more than I did. But sneaking, I dunno if its fun. You can get some riot prod-like weapon, but when you sneak to an enemy and you want to take him down, youd better press the takedown button, as there's no melee weapons.

I'm not saying the game would be worse with only first person, but the constant nagging of some people about a gamedesign choice that, quite objectively, is not really a bad choice at all, annoys me a bit. Im a die hard Deus Ex-fan (as is evidenced by me coming here) but I'm also a journalist who tries to be objective about a game and if you just look at the game without demanding it to be a 1-on-1 copy of the original game, then its a fine choice that makes sneaking better, not worse.

Daeda
24th Feb 2011, 17:31
So you can save where you want and then load, am I getting it right? Do you have any info if there will be an autosave system? (I can't imagine autosaves in the field but I have to ask.)

Yes, on all platforms you can save at any time. There will be autosave but it didnt work properly on the build we played so I cant tell you how it will work besides saving the start of each level.

MrFoxter
24th Feb 2011, 17:41
Thanks, Daeda, for your patience! You deserve at least a praxis point.

MaxxQ1
24th Feb 2011, 17:41
...but I'm also a journalist who tries to be objective about a game and if you just look at the game without demanding it to be a 1-on-1 copy of the original game, ...

Careful. You're getting close to CopyPasta territory...

You just want Deus Ex with prettier graphics.

:rasp:

Irate_Iguana
24th Feb 2011, 17:45
1) Id say most are stealth/action. Then also some trees for hacking and even less for social. Seemed like a right balance as you can imagine stealth and action being more important augmentations. There where a lot though and all of them had long upgrade trees so I tihnk customazation will be more than most can ask for.
3) Didnt see any, but then again, there was no water for you to need a rebreather.
4) No, all locks are done by keypads/hacking. You can actually enter passwords on pc though.
5) There are lockers, dont think there where any crates.
7) Hard to tell, often they focus on the last place they saw the player and then investigate/attack if they find you. Some retreat a bit for safty. Dont have a final vertict on the AI, but its definately better than the original (as you'd hope)
8) Id say: not alerted, alerted and sucpicious. Might also be one for them going from alerted to not alerted.
9) Not extremely, but if you stay hidden long enough they will resume (albeit probably more sucpicious)
10) Yes, I'd say so.
11) I think you could skip them, maybe not the cutscene after tutorial as it is a cut scene/credit roll thing. Didnt try since I was actually interested in the story.

Thanks a lot for the answers, Daeda.

motsm
24th Feb 2011, 17:51
Well, combat, yeah you can play in First person, though you'll probably die even more than I did. But sneaking, I dunno if its fun. You can get some riot prod-like weapon, but when you sneak to an enemy and you want to take him down, youd better press the takedown button, as there's no melee weapons.

I'm not saying the game would be worse with only first person, but the constant nagging of some people about a gamedesign choice that, quite objectively, is not really a bad choice at all, annoys me a bit. Im a die hard Deus Ex-fan (as is evidenced by me coming here) but I'm also a journalist who tries to be objective about a game and if you just look at the game without demanding it to be a 1-on-1 copy of the original game, then its a fine choice that makes sneaking better, not worse.I've said it before, and I'll say it again here. I don't have a problem with them changing things in a Deus Ex game, I simply hate the way third person is implemented in the game. It could be the next Halo for all I care, a series I have no connection or concern with at all, but if I saw a video of it with the third person implementation HR is using, I'd be cringing the entire time.

As for take downs, I don't plan to ever use one, as I'll simply sneak past everyone. If it's absolutely required to take someone out, I'd use a less than lethal weapon.

IOS
24th Feb 2011, 17:58
I've said it before, and I'll say it again here. I don't have a problem with them changing things in a Deus Ex game, I simply hate the way third person is implemented in the game. It could be the next Halo for all I care, a series I have no connection or concern with at all, but if I saw a video of it with the third person implementation HR is using, I'd be cringing the entire time.

As for take downs, I don't plan to ever use one, as I'll simply sneak past everyone. If it's absolutely required to take someone out, I'd use a less than lethal weapon.

http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/oh_you.jpg

motsm
24th Feb 2011, 17:59
Oh you!He went there, so I went there. It's how it works.

What about objective markers...http://www.gamestar.de/index.cfm?pid=1589&pk=15748

We have a sizable orange hovering X with distance counter floating on our objective in the linked video, redundantly displayed on the radar as well. I could comment here, but whats the use.

Dragonknight
24th Feb 2011, 18:33
It's easy to die (a few hits) and scarce ammo. There's already articles posted at some sites about more and more players not finishing games they buy. There will be people finding this game too frustrating and will quit playing. Dying a lot isn't fun.

pi r squared
24th Feb 2011, 18:50
It's easy to die (a few hits) and scarce ammo. There's already articles posted at some sites about more and more players not finishing games they buy. There will be people finding this game too frustrating and will quit playing. Dying a lot isn't fun.More fool them if they can't even be bothered to complete a game they've spent £40/€40/$50 (pick your currency of choice) on. It still counts as a sale.

Most previews are selling "it's hard" and "you die a lot" as positive things. It sounds like the game is set up in such a way that it encourages you to go back and attempt another solution, rather than think "f**k this, this game suckz". It sounds like if you die, you've pretty much only got yourself to blame. They've playtested it on the CoD-ilk and whilst I appreciate you wouldn't get up and go "f**k this" at a playtest session, it does seem like the game's difficulty isn't necessarily off-putting.

Snake04
24th Feb 2011, 21:50
1)how was it on the ps3 any bugs
2)whats the controls on the ps3
3)how does the hacking system work.thanks

Cronstintein
24th Feb 2011, 23:38
I'm afraid I can't bring up a link as it was an article I read quite a few months back but the gist of it was: people actually respond more compulsively to a challenge. Giving people a cakewalk is much less engaging than giving them something that requires several failed tries to achieve success. I imagine the sense of accomplishment plays a role in this that is absent otherwise. The key is to not make failure hugely frustrating. Having quick saves and checkpoints helps. If you had to restart from the beginning each time you died it would be a different story.

Pinky_Powers
24th Feb 2011, 23:40
Your time and effort is much appreciated Daeda. :thumb:

mentalkase
24th Feb 2011, 23:47
Your time and effort is much appreciated Daeda. :thumb:

Yeah what Pinky said.

MrFoxter
24th Feb 2011, 23:59
Yeah what Pinky said.

Yeah what mentalkase said.

VectorM
25th Feb 2011, 00:06
Yeah what mentalkase said.

Yeah what MrFoxter said.

Irate_Iguana
25th Feb 2011, 00:07
Could you elaborate more on the stealth side of the gameplay? The previews are quick to point out the cover aug and cloak aug, but they do not mention the sound in any way.

How much sound does Adam make while walking? Do enemies pick him up from afar?
How much sound does he make while crouching? How fast is he while crouching?
How much sound do walking enemies make? Do they still have a tendency to talk to each other or themselves while walking?
How fast do enemies pick up on Adam's presence when he's not in cover?
Could you explain their search behavior a bit more? Do they just walk single file to Adam's last known location?

jtr7
25th Feb 2011, 01:00
It's easy to die (a few hits) and scarce ammo. There's already articles posted at some sites about more and more players not finishing games they buy. There will be people finding this game too frustrating and will quit playing. Dying a lot isn't fun.

Depends on why the player's avatar is getting killed, really. If the player senses they need only to adapt to something, like finding the weakness of what's killing them, they are more likely to try again. If it appears to require something the player him-/herself doesn't have ability or skill in, among a wide range of physical and mental categories, chances are slim. How much time they have to play is a factor, too.

sackyhack
25th Feb 2011, 01:24
Question about the time limit before the 1st mission. How much time did you feel like you had to explore in the Sarif offices prior to the 1st mission before the hostages started dying? Seems like the demo stopped before you got to this point, but do you know if you can go back after the 1st mission and explore the offices and pick up any coversations/items/side-quests you missed because you left soon to make sure hostages aren't killed?

Oh, and a comment about the "dying a lot" thing. I played Deus Ex for the 1st time last year. I kept on dying in the first mission at the dock with the informant because I couldn't figure out how to sneak past the one stationary guard and the one walking in circles and kept getting killed over and over, and practically gave up for a month or so. Then one day, while thinking about it, I suddenly remembered the patrolling bot was on my side, so I fired one shot at the guard and had them both chase me to the bot which made short work of them, and I was absolutely thrilled by this. So, I'm actually looking forward to the stated level of difficulty in the previews because it means there's going to be lots of variety and head-scratching involved which I haven't seen in too many games recently.

Fluffis
25th Feb 2011, 03:12
Right, so I've been off this board for a while and come back to this. Very nice thread to get back in the thick of things with. Thanks Daeda!

motsm
25th Feb 2011, 03:34
More fool them if they can't even be bothered to complete a game they've spent £40/€40/$50 (pick your currency of choice) on. It still counts as a sale.

Most previews are selling "it's hard" and "you die a lot" as positive things. It sounds like the game is set up in such a way that it encourages you to go back and attempt another solution, rather than think "f**k this, this game suckz". It sounds like if you die, you've pretty much only got yourself to blame. They've playtested it on the CoD-ilk and whilst I appreciate you wouldn't get up and go "f**k this" at a playtest session, it does seem like the game's difficulty isn't necessarily off-putting.Dying constantly used to be completely normal in games just a few short years ago. At least in the way that, if you made a mistake you were punished by death for it. I imagine the games difficulty is nothing but standard when compared to those old shooters, games have just gotten so much easier lately.

jtr7
25th Feb 2011, 03:54
They used to make you have to insert another token, or two, or four, into the arcade machine to keep up the trial and error of each level. Running out of tokens sure made me give up on many games. Also, having to start a level over from the beginning made damn sure I didn't want to play the game, even if it was a game on a home console.

motsm
25th Feb 2011, 04:00
They used to make you have to insert another token, or two, or four, into the arcade machine to keep up the trial and error of each level. Running out of tokens sure made me give up on many games. Also, having to start a level over from the beginning made damn sure I didn't want to play the game, even if it was a game on a home console.Yeah, but now we have saves, so I welcome the most punishing game experience possible on the hard difficulty. Though I don't honestly believe HR will be very challenging.

jtr7
25th Feb 2011, 04:04
Yep. Also, saving where one wishes is the reward for those who have more trials and errors than most, and for experimenters, regardless of skill.

Enderrr
25th Feb 2011, 08:11
Sorry if you've already answered this but can you explain how the controls work, if you remember? Like what button does what etc. Thanks.

ranmafan
25th Feb 2011, 08:21
Thanks Daeda for all the answers and taking the time to answer. I'd post a witty internet meme here, but I'm fresh out of wit. ;)

Daeda
25th Feb 2011, 13:02
Sorry if you've already answered this but can you explain how the controls work, if you remember? Like what button does what etc. Thanks.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
25th Feb 2011, 13:27
Thanks, Daeda, for your patience! You deserve at least a praxis point.

Seconded. :thumb:

CoDEllite
25th Feb 2011, 15:39
All this PS3 talk is realy making me nervous. EM better not shaft the xbox players on this game. I thought 360 was their lead platform for this game. whats with the all the sony @#$kissing lately :(

Mindmute
25th Feb 2011, 15:53
All this PS3 talk is realy making me nervous. EM better not shaft the xbox players on this game. I thought 360 was their lead platform for this game. whats with the all the sony @#$kissing lately :(

:rolleyes:
It's intereresting for you to say that, because they never said the 360 was the lead platform for the game.

CoDEllite
25th Feb 2011, 15:59
It's intereresting for you to say that, because they never said the 360 was the lead platform for the game.

well it is a multiplat TITLE so the safe assumption is that xbox is the lead platform. But guess I was wrong

dxb
25th Feb 2011, 16:06
Nope, that's not a safe assumption at all.

K^2
25th Feb 2011, 16:38
As much as I hate to agree with CoD here, a title being released for PC, PS3, and 360 is going to run PC/360 as primary, and PS3 as secondary. With PC/360 cross-development, you are basically writing a PC game with 360 as a special case. Naturally, UI has to be tweaked significantly, and generally speaking 360 is going to be far shorter on resources, but you are running the engine under very similar kernels through very similar APIs. CPU architecture is different, but compiler takes care of it. Unlike PS3, programming for 360's CPU follows all the same paradigms. You have your floating point and vector units, but they are not living their own separate lives, like on PS3. With some changes to initialization code, 360 game should compile and run on a PC. It's not what you want to do, obviously, but it saves a lot of effort in cross-development. If you are looking at a simultaneous release across these 3 platforms, focusing on 360 makes good commercial sense.

That and Sony's terrible marketing outside of Japan are the main reasons why 360 managed to stay ahead despite weak hardware with swarms of technical issues and last-gen media capabilities.

Reven
25th Feb 2011, 16:42
Speaking of our much fabled Pc version, is their any game shows left between now and june ? . if their still not showing anything to the pc rags then i guess their must be some problem with dx11 perhaps ?

sackyhack
25th Feb 2011, 17:59
You're all forgetting that this was made using the Crystal Dynamics toolset, which was also used in FFXIII. That game was created on PS3 first then ported to 360, so it's not unreasonable to expect that Square Enix was more experienced with PS3 and taught EM how to develop on PS3 first. This is one case where the "X60 first for multiplats" trend doesn't necessarily apply.

ZakKa89
25th Feb 2011, 18:03

Then get it for ps3? Don't you have a ps3?

Arksun
25th Feb 2011, 18:39

Just to confirm this point, because I had some concerns that 3rd person cover was an automated process when getting too close to a walls edge. Adam only jumps from 1st to third person upon holding down a button right?.

subtlesnake
25th Feb 2011, 18:51
As much as I hate to agree with CoD here, a title being released for PC, PS3, and 360 is going to run PC/360 as primary, and PS3 as secondary. With PC/360 cross-development, you are basically writing a PC game with 360 as a special case. Naturally, UI has to be tweaked significantly, and generally speaking 360 is going to be far shorter on resources, but you are running the engine under very similar kernels through very similar APIs. CPU architecture is different, but compiler takes care of it. Unlike PS3, programming for 360's CPU follows all the same paradigms. You have your floating point and vector units, but they are not living their own separate lives, like on PS3. With some changes to initialization code, 360 game should compile and run on a PC. It's not what you want to do, obviously, but it saves a lot of effort in cross-development. If you are looking at a simultaneous release across these 3 platforms, focusing on 360 makes good commercial sense.

That and Sony's terrible marketing outside of Japan are the main reasons why 360 managed to stay ahead despite weak hardware with swarms of technical issues and last-gen media capabilities.
I think the days of the PS3 version being a poor port of the PC/360 version are basically over, and these days developers focus resources fairly equally across both platforms. In fact I know several developers have lead on PS3 and then 'ported' the game to the 360, because it's much easier than the other way round.

It's reasonable to expect that the 360 and PS3 versions of the game will look and run almost identically.

Brockxz
25th Feb 2011, 19:12

Is there a jumping? I hope it's not the same bull**** as in all third person cover games (GoW, Mass Effect etc) that character can't jump.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
25th Feb 2011, 19:15
^
Adam can jump, panic not.

Jerion
25th Feb 2011, 19:25
Adam only jumps from 1st to third person upon holding down a button right?.

Exactly.

furai47
25th Feb 2011, 19:27
^
Adam can jump, panic not.

Prove it.

Pretty please?

Ashpolt
25th Feb 2011, 19:36
It's reasonable to expect that the 360 and PS3 versions of the game will look and run almost identically.

But holy hell will fanboys of one or the other ***** about the tiniest, tiniest differences. And it doesn't even have to be the same game, just competing franchises: I saw some people declaring Gran Turismo 5 as an "epic fail" because it averaged at something like 0.3 fps less than Forza 3 (and it was something like 59.9fps to 59.6.) Or hell, remember the hubbub when Killzone 2 was shown to have 1/6th of a second delay when firing a weapon? The 360 community went nuts. Even when someone pointed out Halo 3 had exactly the same delay, it didn't stop. (http://www.neotaku.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=571&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=42) Or what about when it was found that Halo 3 didn't run at 720p, but was instead an upscaled lower resolution? End of the world!

Man, I frakkin' hate console wars, especially this generation, they're so petty. At least when it's PC vs console there's some actual differences to talk about: yes, PC gaming can be more expensive, but on the other hand, the results you get can be far superior to what consoles are capable of - it's not arguing over 0.3 fps or an unnoticeable input delay. (Yes, that delay would affect things in Counterstrike or Quake 3: it really doesn't in Halo 3 or Killzone 2.) The 360 and PS3 are near as dammit in terms of capability, but the fanboys of one side act like their console is made by the gods themselves and the "other" console is just a shoebox with some wires sticking out of the side. And faeces inside.

And it's not even like the software can really sell one console or the other these days, as nearly all of the big releases come out on both 360 and PS3 now anyway. There are a few exclusives, sure, but they pretty much balance out: 360 has Halo, PS3 has Killzone. 360 has Gears of War, PS3 has Uncharted. 360 has Forza, PS3 has Gran Turismo. And so on and so on. It's really close enough that you could choose your console based on which controller you prefer, and it'd be just as valid a choice as basing it on the games each platform offers. The only thing in my mind that really divides the two in any significant way is that the PS3 has a blu-ray player, the 360 doesn't (how's.....how's that HD-DVD add on you bought working out for you, buddy? :P Sorry, couldn't resist!) but even then, standalone blu-ray players are cheap enough now that it's negligible.

tl;dr: PS3 and 360 near enough the same damn console (from a consumer perspective at least) but in different boxes. Stop treating it like it's a religious difference.

[/idort rant]

Jerion
25th Feb 2011, 19:39
But holy hell will fanboys of one or the other ***** about the tiniest, tiniest differences. And it doesn't even have to be the same game, just competing franchises: I saw some people declaring Gran Turismo 5 as an "epic fail" because it averaged at something like 0.3 fps less than Forza 3 (and it was something like 59.9fps to 59.6.) Or hell, remember the hubbub when Killzone 2 was shown to have 1/6th of a second delay when firing a weapon? The 360 community went nuts. Even when someone pointed out Halo 3 had exactly the same delay, it didn't stop. (http://www.neotaku.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=571&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=42) Or what about when it was found that Halo 3 didn't run at 720p, but was instead an upscaled lower resolution? End of the world!

Man, I frakkin' hate console wars, especially this generation, they're so petty. At least when it's PC vs console there's some actual differences to talk about: yes, PC gaming can be more expensive, but on the other hand, the results you get can be far superior to what consoles are capable of - it's not arguing over 0.3 fps or an unnoticeable input delay. (Yes, that delay would affect things in Counterstrike or Quake 3: it really doesn't in Halo 3 or Killzone 2.) The 360 and PS3 are near as dammit in terms of capability, but the fanboys of one side act like their console is made by the gods themselves and the "other" console is just a shoebox with some wires sticking out of the side. And faeces inside.

And it's not even like the software can really sell one console or the other these days, as nearly all of the big releases come out on both 360 and PS3 now anyway. There are a few exclusives, sure, but they pretty much balance out: 360 has Halo, PS3 has Killzone. 360 has Gears of War, PS3 has Uncharted. 360 has Forza, PS3 has Gran Turismo. And so on and so on. It's really close enough that you could choose your console based on which controller you prefer, and it'd be just as valid a choice as basing it on the games each platform offers. The only thing in my mind that really divides the two in any significant way is that the PS3 has a blu-ray player, the 360 doesn't (how's.....how's that HD-DVD add on you bought working out for you, buddy? :P Sorry, couldn't resist!) but even then, standalone blu-ray players are cheap enough now that it's negligible.

tl;dr: PS3 and 360 near enough the same damn console (from a consumer perspective at least) but in different boxes. Stop treating it like it's a religious difference.

[/idort rant]

Feeling better after getting that out of your system? :friends:

JCpies
25th Feb 2011, 20:31
Let me rant then... .XBOX PEOPLE ARE JUST CHEAPOS WHO LIKE TO BRAG ABOUT THEIR DUMBASS CONSOLE GO GET A PC OR A MEDIA SYSTEM LIKE THE PS3 AND FUSE THEM TOGETHER TO MAKE THE ULTIMATE PC/PS3 COMBO AND RULE THE WORLD OF GAMING BY PWNING PEOPLE WITH MOUSE AND KEYBOARD SO SHUTUP ABOUT YOUR PRECIOUS INFERIOR XBOX WHICH IS INFERIOR TO EVERYTHING! DIE DIE DIE DIEAR(E
_REAJOIARERE{ARE{RE{ER{RE{REA{REAre[AREOAo REAOJREr
fa\rersg /Rant over.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
25th Feb 2011, 20:36
Prove it.

Pretty please?

Have you read the FAQs thread? :)
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=86841

Reven
25th Feb 2011, 20:39
Ashpolt you forgot the flame war over Prototype and infamous, or the side by side screens of Assassins creed 2. i agree i was once a playstation fanboy in the early 90's and we ever fought a bitter war against nintendo, but the funny thing was we owned nintendo games because we wanted to play mario. after i became a PC gamer i never looked back and have NEVER regretted it.

Partydrank
25th Feb 2011, 20:41
@ JCpie LOL!!!

mentalkase
25th Feb 2011, 21:58
Console wars were fun back in the days of Nintendo64/PS1. Those consoles were nothing alike, and both had their strengths, sure the PS1 had a million games, Tekken and GT, and the 64 had at most a 10th of their games and most of them were terrible, but the ones that were good, were outstanding, I positively revelled in their blurriness. Then Microsoft had to come along and ruin the fun.

The 360 vs PS3 thing makes no sense at all. I've looked at those screenshot comparisons on gamespot when a multiplatform game comes out and honestly I think you must need to squint and be the right distance away or something because I can usually see no difference, at all.

Ashpolt
25th Feb 2011, 22:00
Feeling better after getting that out of your system? :friends:

I always feel better after a good rant! And a swim. And a doughnut. (Note: "Donut" to you crazy yanks.)

Ashpolt you forgot the flame war over Prototype and infamous, or the side by side screens of Assassins creed 2. i agree i was once a playstation fanboy in the early 90's and we ever fought a bitter war against nintendo, but the funny thing was we owned nintendo games because we wanted to play mario. after i became a PC gamer i never looked back and have NEVER regretted it.

I've never got console wars tbh. Possibly because I've been an idort since I started gaming: since the NES, the only major console I've not owned was the Sega Saturn. And part of me still kind of wants to get that. :D

Pretentious Old Man.
25th Feb 2011, 22:05

[/idort rant]

tl;dr

http://pc.mmgn.com/Lib/Images/Gallery/normal/7PLLYLB8.jpg

Reven
25th Feb 2011, 22:15
I always feel better after a good rant! And a swim. And a doughnut. (Note: "Donut" to you crazy yanks.)

I've never got console wars tbh. Possibly because I've been an idort since I started gaming: since the NES, the only major console I've not owned was the Sega Saturn. And part of me still kind of wants to get that. :D

I started in about 1988 with the atari and NES playing the same games the AVGN is rightly bashing every month on his show. i have owned nearly every console since the NES days. (dont feel bad about the saturn i had almost nothing good to play) iam just glad i discovered the pc and got to play games like baldurs gate and deus ex and thief to me this was the golden age to which nothing seems as good anymore. i have waited 10 years for a worthy game like deus ex i just cant take 10 more years of console Call of duty fanboy crap.

The pretentious one returns !

furai47
25th Feb 2011, 22:21
Have you read the FAQs thread? :)
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=86841

Doh! I must've missed that. Thanks!

Ashpolt
25th Feb 2011, 22:25
Actually going back to topic here:

Do we know will it still be hold for cover for the PC version? Because it seems to me that a toggle would work better for the PC version. The main buttons that are easy to hold while performing other actions are already assigned under "standard PC FPS controls" which I prefer not to mess with where possible:

Space: Jump
Shift: Sprint
Left Ctrl: Crouch
Left mouse button: Shoot (duh)
Right mouse button: Iron sights / scope

There are other buttons around obviously, but none are exactly in a comfortable place to hold. As such, a toggle would be better on the PC version, IMO. (Not that I'm going to use the damned system if at all possible, of course.)

Reven
25th Feb 2011, 22:39
Actually going back to topic here:

Do we know will it still be hold for cover for the PC version? Because it seems to me that a toggle would work better for the PC version. The main buttons that are easy to hold while performing other actions are already assigned under "standard PC FPS controls" which I prefer not to mess with where possible:

Left Ctrl: Crouch
Left mouse button: Shoot (duh)
Right mouse button: Iron sights / scope

There are other buttons around obviously, but none are exactly in a comfortable place to hold. As such, a toggle would be better on the PC version, IMO. (Not that I'm going to use the damned system if at all possible, of course.)

I would say.

C. crouch
Left CTRL. cover
middle mouse for quick inventory or augs
1 to 10 for augs
R. reloads

perhaps ?

Pretentious Old Man.
25th Feb 2011, 22:43
I would say X crouch. Srsly. Ever since Deus Ex (and I think Thief) did it, I've made every game do it. It's just so much more convenient to the fingers than ctrl.

Reven
25th Feb 2011, 22:49
to my hand C is closer and more natural .

TAB. for info link? datavault?

Irate_Iguana
25th Feb 2011, 22:51
The only things that matter are that they let us customize the controls and that they don't have multi-functional buttons for the PC.

Pretentious Old Man.
25th Feb 2011, 23:04
the only things that matter are that they let us customize the controls and that they don't have multi-functional buttons for the pc.

+1.

Pinky_Powers
25th Feb 2011, 23:24
I'm trying to remember exactly how the cover and shooting worked in Rainbow Six Vegas on the PC. I think it was RMB for cover... but how did you peak up to fire?

68_pie
25th Feb 2011, 23:25
I would say X crouch. Srsly. Ever since Deus Ex (and I think Thief) did it, I've made every game do it. It's just so much more convenient to the fingers than ctrl.

but with ctrl you can use your little finger which isnt likely to be in use at the same time for something else. If you use X or C aren't you sacrificing either strafe-right or jump? Unless you always use toggle-crouch which I can't stand (pun maybe a little intended)?

If i decide to use the cover system I'd like to map it onto my mouse, either middle mouse or one of the ones on the side.

IOOI
25th Feb 2011, 23:28
LCtrl: Crouch
C: Optics
E (hold): Augs list
F: Light Oh wait...

LMB: Fire
RMB: Cover (Just like Vegas)
MMB: Throw/Interact/Confirm aug selection
MScroll: Scroll Toolbelt/Augs

Ninjerk
26th Feb 2011, 00:29

In fact, when I came on to the forums it was being said by developers that DX3 was being developed with "PCs in mind" or some such BSery.

Ashpolt
26th Feb 2011, 00:37
C. crouch
Left CTRL. cover

Presumably you're pressing C or X with your index finger (can use thumb, but it leads to crab claw syndrome) so how do you move backwards / strafe right while crouching?

I'm trying to remember exactly how the cover and shooting worked in Rainbow Six Vegas on the PC. I think it was RMB for cover... but how did you peak up to fire?

I can't remember exactly how it did it either, but I remember it being pretty damn awkward and I had to reconfigure the controls a lot before I got to anything even approaching comfortable, and even then it wasn't ideal. It's one of the (many) reasons I've been concerned about this type of cover system in this game.

Worst comes to worst, I'll use capslock. But WASD, space, ctrl, shift and the mouse buttons are holy buttons for me, and I don't change their functions from what I'm used to unless I absolutely have to.

And @Reven: I believe it's already been confirmed that the PC version will have a hotbar for weapons / items and will use the function keys for augs, but don't quote me on that. I'd quite like the F keys for individual augs and middle mouse as quick select, as you suggest.

Also agreed with I_I. I think this topic shows the necessity of configurable controls for PC. Again, let's hope for a demo so we can see if we get that or not before we're asked to spend money...

jtr7
26th Feb 2011, 00:38

Yep. Thief actually has two different Crouch buttons (X is one of them, by default, and I don't use the other one at all, so I'd have to look it up). One is a toggle, where you press once to crouch, again to stand up, and the other button crouches Garrett only as long as the button is held. Both are handiest for different situations. :thumb:

Ashpolt
26th Feb 2011, 00:45
Hmmm.....I'm having an idea....

Left ctrl: Cover
Scroll wheel down: Crouch
Scroll wheel up: Stand up (assuming crouch is toggle rather than hold)

That might just be crazy enough to work! Or possibly, if it is indeed a toggle on the PC version:

Left ctrl: crouch
Flick the scroll wheel to enter / exit cover

...That could actually be a fairly fluid and dynamic way to do it. Assuming we've got a toolbar on the number keys of course, and so the scroll wheel isn't tied up with weapon selection.

Reven
26th Feb 2011, 01:09

That might just be crazy enough to work! Or possibly, if it is indeed a toggle on the PC version:

Left ctrl: crouch
Flick the scroll wheel to enter / exit cover

...That could actually be a fairly fluid and dynamic way to do it. Assuming we've got a toolbar on the number keys of course, and so the scroll wheel isn't tied up with weapon selection.

Interesting Ashpolt yet we are at a loss for a walk key to toggle or hold to stop ourselves from barrelling along a top speed. i like the splinter cell mouse wheel approach but i see it wont be possible here.

Daeda
26th Feb 2011, 01:14
To comment on the lead console stuff, here's a quote from David Anfossi in the interview we had about DX:

We dont have a lead console for this game. I once worked on a game we had to port from Xbox to PS2. It was a simple ten hour game but it took 120 people over a year to port because the game was build with a specific console in mind. Because of this for Deus Ex we decided to use a shared datastructure that works on all platforms. I can guarrantee that all the versions of the game are the same in terms of data, wemade no compromisses. If there are differences it is because of the way the console handles stuff. The consoles didnt give us any troubles but the datalimit for the Xobx 360 proved to be a challenge. We worked very hard to get it on one disk. I hope they changes this for the next console.

Also, some people got it demoed on X360.

For those interested, here's the (dutch) interview http://www.gamer.nl/interview/64016/in-gespek-met-david-anfossi-van-deus-ex-human-revolution

Arksun
26th Feb 2011, 01:14

Mouse wheel scroll as buttons?, naaa way too jittery to be as reliable as key stroke or the microswitch action of the LMB or RMB.

As I'm sure controls will be freely assignable to any key its no biggy anyways. I think I would prefer to keep the 'hold to crouch' rather than a toggle key though. But again who knows, maybe they'll include an option to chose.

Reven
26th Feb 2011, 01:17
Well EM staff worked on raindow six vegas has anyone got a contol list from that game ?

Daeda
26th Feb 2011, 01:18
I think the options allowed for a toggle cover button. For the consoles I liked the holding though, gives you more control.

Ashpolt
26th Feb 2011, 01:24
Interesting Ashpolt yet we are at a loss for a walk key to toggle or hold to stop ourselves from barrelling along a top speed. i like the splinter cell mouse wheel approach but i see it wont be possible here.

Well shift is the sprint key: simply don't press it to walk. :P Or alternatively, sprint may be default, and press shift to walk. I doubt the game will have more than three speeds: Sprint, walk, crouch walk. That's pretty standard. Maybe crouch sprint as well if we're lucky.

Reven
26th Feb 2011, 01:40
Well shift is the sprint key: simply don't press it to walk. :P Or alternatively, sprint may be default, and press shift to walk. I doubt the game will have more than three speeds: Sprint, walk, crouch walk. That's pretty standard. Maybe crouch sprint as well if we're lucky.

Crouch sprinting seems to be a thing of the past these days. it would appear that walking is standard speed from the leaked gameplay videos (but much my have changed). mouse wheel to swap weapons while middle mouse to enter quick inventory with I as inventory key. and tab as data vault, seems about right while we might need a key to select fire modes (single shot burst or auto) if that is in the game. and a secondary fire key if valid.

MrFoxter
26th Feb 2011, 08:29
I prefer C as a crouch toggle and ctrl (hold) for crouch. I'm a sneaky person and my hand really hurts when I need to hold crouch for extended periods of time (stalker, your ctrl+shift one finger combo is killing me). When I need a quick action, I use ctrl (hold).

What finger do you use for X key, Pretentious Old Man? I find this key in a 'dead zone'.

I'd suggest Alt (hold) for cover. This key is usually ignored, but it is easy to get used to it. And you won't need your thumb for jumping while in the cover.

I'd also prefer universal toolbelts, 1-9 and F1-F9, where I could combine items and augs in each row.

Quick aug select screen is a good idea. Hold the middle mouse (or some key - Q, F), wheel or grid would appear and you place your cursor on an aug you want.

I finished Darksiders recently, and special powers were performed by holding Caps Lock and pressing a number key (1-4). It was very confusing, I hope this won't be in DX:HR.

Cronstintein
26th Feb 2011, 08:32
Holding capslock eh? That's a first. Doesn't feel very comfortable with my hand + keyboard. Although slightly better than shift + #

Fireisprettyful
26th Feb 2011, 08:38
thanks for answering all the questions that you did, i know questions about the AI have been answered but i got a few, would you call them aggressive or are they patient AI? also compared to other shooters how does the AI compare?

Irate_Iguana
26th Feb 2011, 12:59
I think the options allowed for a toggle cover button. For the consoles I liked the holding though, gives you more control.

Any chance you could answer my questions on the stealth portion?

Pretentious Old Man.
26th Feb 2011, 13:39
Presumably you're pressing C or X with your index finger (can use thumb, but it leads to crab claw syndrome) so how do you move backwards / strafe right while crouching?

I normally have little finger on SHIFT, index on A, middle on W/S, and ring on D. Since X is a situational button, I tend to use the thumb for it (because it doesn't need a whole finger to constantly be there as it's situational). I never use the function buttons for augs, I prefer to just hit F1 whatever I need and then select the aug combinations I need manually (since I very rarely use just the one aug, I like to combine their effects).

pha
26th Feb 2011, 14:53
The only things that matter are that they let us customize the controls and that they don't have multi-functional buttons for the PC.

:thumb:

I can never play with default controls.

Darthassin
26th Feb 2011, 15:07
Question: What map (or mix of maps) from DX1 is similar to the mission you played in HR? (in terms of architecture of the map, gameplay solutions and general feel)

Daeda
26th Feb 2011, 15:47
Any chance you could answer my questions on the stealth portion?

thanks for answering all the questions that you did, i know questions about the AI have been answered but i got a few, would you call them aggressive or are they patient AI? also compared to other shooters how does the AI compare?

I wouldnt call the AI agressive per se. They do move towards you if they are alerted, but keep some diestance before researching last known position. AI didnt seem to use cover all that often, as they tend to move more. They can use cover though.

Now as for sound. The only honest answer I can give you is "I dont know". I think sound plays a part in it (believe there is a silent running aug, not sure though) but the extend of sound wasnt clear from playing. Shooting a gun instead of using a silent weapon or takedown (to some extend) does alert the guards faster of your precence ofcource. When shooting a gun they investigate the place the sound came from though (as it is your last known position to them). Walking up to an enemy works as long as you dont walk too fast, but I didnt really notice fast detection just from me walking.

Besides sound their detection is mostly based on line of sight. If you keep your distance it will take longer for them to spot you.

Irate_Iguana
26th Feb 2011, 15:54
Thanks for the answers, Daeda.

Daeda
26th Feb 2011, 15:55
Question: What map (or mix of maps) from DX1 is similar to the mission you played in HR? (in terms of architecture of the map, gameplay solutions and general feel)

Difficult to make real comparisons tbh. Ocean lab in terms of structure (ie you have to move from point a in map to point b). Almost everything was indoor, with a short exception at the beginning. Areas where large, probably bigger than areas in the first game. This allowed for multiple tactics to take out the enemies. Level was still quite structured in a form of move from one end to the room to the other, though there where multiple paths to that end. I also missed the hostages so not all rooms are placed that obvious. Bear in mind that this level still trains the player a bit and exploration should increase over the rest of the game. (According to Anfossi and based on the Gamescom demo I'd say this is true)

It also reminds a bit of Liberty Island in mission structure, as you have to reach a terrorist leader, save hostages etc. But there was no way to circle around the warehouse so you couldnt use that many acces points just yet (two to enter the warehouse in fact, one just entering through the door, another one over a vent shaft on the roof. Both lead to the warehouse patrolled by some guards)

While the game feels like Deus Ex, I honestly cant say which elements come from which level. It has similarities but the levels felt new and not a stylistic rip off so to speak.

Darthassin
26th Feb 2011, 16:29
Thank you.

Pretentious Old Man.
26th Feb 2011, 16:39
One from me: Did you find the black and gold colour scheme too prevalent, or did you think that it was realistic/not noticeable? (In other words, does it look good or bad)

Also, were there any non-black and gold areas in the part you played?

IOOI
26th Feb 2011, 16:55
QUESTION: I think this obvious by now, so I just want a confirmation. There isn't any flashlight for the player to use (since every vent is "self-illuminated") or any way of getting a room in the dark in order to blind AI. Am I right?

VectorM
26th Feb 2011, 17:17
The AI can't be blinded anyway, since stealth is based only on sound and line of sight.

Daeda
26th Feb 2011, 18:45
One from me: Did you find the black and gold colour scheme too prevalent, or did you think that it was realistic/not noticeable? (In other words, does it look good or bad)

Also, were there any non-black and gold areas in the part you played?

Its not as precent as you might think. Yes there is a yellowish hue coming from lights, but there are actually a lot of different colors in the game. There where corridors lighted with red, more sterile white rooms and just more dark tones outside.

QUESTION: I think this obvious by now, so I just want a confirmation. There isn't any flashlight for the player to use (since every vent is "self-illuminated") or any way of getting a room in the dark in order to blind AI. Am I right?

Hmm, good question. Dont think there was a flashlight aug, but pease dont pin me down on it. All I can tell for sure is that I didnt have to use it. Sneaking is not based on light/dark anyway (which is sort of good since in the original games there was no telling how well hidden you where) but on line of sight.

The AI can't be blinded anyway, since stealth is based only on sound and line of sight.

Pure speculation on my part: I think there where flashbang like grenades.

Pretentious Old Man.
26th Feb 2011, 19:25
Thank you, Daeda.

Irate_Iguana
26th Feb 2011, 19:30
Pure speculation on my part: I think there where flashbang like grenades.

One of the previews mentions a retinal aug that will protect you from flashgrenades. So I guess flashbangs are in.

nomotog
26th Feb 2011, 20:18
Did you get to smash open any doors?

JCpies
26th Feb 2011, 20:26
Did you get to see Adam's Butt?

CHANCE-PHOENIX
26th Feb 2011, 20:47
is the game mod-friendly , cuz i would like to have allthe female npc"s er.... nake , i ment sexy.

Pretentious Old Man.
26th Feb 2011, 20:56
is the game mod-friendly , cuz i would like to have allthe female npc"s er.... nake , i ment sexy.

You've been playing Sexlivion, haven't you?

Reven
26th Feb 2011, 21:04

Or going to the dragon age nexus...

Shralla
26th Feb 2011, 21:33
You're all forgetting that this was made using the Crystal Dynamics toolset, which was also used in FFXIII. That game was created on PS3 first then ported to 360, so it's not unreasonable to expect that Square Enix was more experienced with PS3 and taught EM how to develop on PS3 first.

Yes, I'm sure Square Enix taught Eidos Montreal how to develop on PS3 three years before they had anything to do with each other.

ZakKa89
26th Feb 2011, 21:54
Or going to the dragon age nexus...

Or downloaded some half life 2/Left 4 dead naked skins for Alyx/ Zoe.

MaxxQ1
26th Feb 2011, 22:00
Or downloaded some half life 2/Left 4 dead naked skins for Alyx/ Zoe.

Or gone to FalloutNexus.

CHANCE-PHOENIX
26th Feb 2011, 22:01

lol , no.

but it would be nice to see some more skin on those female characters imo.

FrankCSIS
26th Feb 2011, 22:18
I've seen the future and I am here to answer all of your questions

Reven
26th Feb 2011, 22:25
I've seen the future and I am here to answer all of your questions

Is the world going to end next year because the mayans didnt update their calander ?

EDIT. what type of hat will the the pretentious old man be wearing ?

ZakKa89
26th Feb 2011, 22:36
Is the world going to end next year because the mayans didnt update their calander ?

Errr you should ask more important questions...

So, what's the game like?

FrankCSIS
26th Feb 2011, 22:46
Truly pretentious old men wear no other hats than top hats. Interestingly enough, scandalously large hats also happen to be the only appropriate attire when facing the end of the world.

Conclude from that what you may.

Reven
26th Feb 2011, 22:48
Truly pretentious old men wear no other hats than top hats. Interestingly enough, scandalously large hats also happen to be the only appropriate attire when facing the end of the world.

Conclude from that what you may.

http://www.curragh-labs.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/holmes-brett-and-burke.jpg

Pretentious Old Man.
26th Feb 2011, 23:48
Well, I have a bowler hat. Does that count?

Reven
26th Feb 2011, 23:50
Well, I have a bowler hat. Does that count?

I would rather fancy the scottish stalker myself.

FrankCSIS
26th Feb 2011, 23:52
Bowler hats are the makes of wonders. They are, however, not truly appropriate in the face of armageddon.

I'm sure it is written in the scriptures somewhere that in the face of death, one should stand naked with a top hat coiffing his head.

The rule also applies to anyone running the world.

wheresmyskulgun
27th Feb 2011, 00:03
Is there a sense of exploration/discovery when playing through? Did you ever encounter hidden weapons, a cool alternate route, or other things along those lines?

Reven
27th Feb 2011, 00:06
Bowler hats are the makes of wonders. They are, however, not truly appropriate in the face of armageddon.

I'm sure it is written in the scriptures somewhere that in the face of death, one should stand naked with a top hat coiffing his head.

The rule also applies to anyone running the world.

We need pictures and we need a poll. "what type of hat should Adam Jensen wear ?"

1. A Bowler hat.
2. A Scottish Stalker
3. A top hat
4. A Fez

But be careful a topic like this could bring the forums crashing down as people become bitter and angry throwing hats atop the pickets !

Ps. what guns and equipment were available in the demo ?

Senka
27th Feb 2011, 06:12
Question!

When you look down can you see your body, legs etc or is this a first person ghost / third person nightmare -.- ?

Darthassin
27th Feb 2011, 08:02
Question:

How do you drag a body?

Because on the gamescon gameplay trailer we've seen that Adam is holding a weapon by his both hands and he is still able to drag a body I guess by his dick. Thats pretty interesting. Maybe it in hands-on demo has been already fixed.

MaxxQ1
27th Feb 2011, 08:48
Question:

How do you drag a body?

Because on the gamescon gameplay trailer we've seen that Adam is holding a weapon by his both hands and he is still able to drag a body I guess by his dick. Thats pretty interesting. Maybe it in hands-on demo has been already fixed.

Nah... the Bungee aug made a comeback.

JackShandy
27th Feb 2011, 08:50
Question:

How do you drag a body?

His dick... is invisible?

Pinky_Powers
27th Feb 2011, 08:58
His dick... is invisible?

Isn't your's? :scratch:

MrFoxter
27th Feb 2011, 09:31
Isn't your's? :scratch:

Are you sure you're a man? ;)

Fireisprettyful
27th Feb 2011, 09:56
thank you alot for answering my question about the AI,this game gets more exciting the more i read about it

Pinky_Powers
27th Feb 2011, 10:13
Are you sure you're a man? ;)

I'm not even sure I'm a mammal. Just a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus.

Daeda
27th Feb 2011, 10:47
Is there a sense of exploration/discovery when playing through? Did you ever encounter hidden weapons, a cool alternate route, or other things along those lines?

Like if said before, introduction is still a bit lineair, so not too much exploration just yet. I did miss the hostage room and from time to time you do find some rooms with items in them. Exploration is profitable but I cant tell you to what extend it will be in the full game just yet. Its probably the only thing of the game im still a bit sceptical about, though Anfossi assured us that exploration will increase in the levels after the demo. Disadvantage of demoing from the start so to speak.

Question!

When you look down can you see your body, legs etc or is this a first person ghost / third person nightmare -.- ?

You just float in thin air in FP-view

Question:

How do you drag a body?

I think you cant shoot. Not sure though

CHANCE-PHOENIX
27th Feb 2011, 11:31
can i put myself in the game with some sort of editor ?

I"m a narcist , and I would really like that :)

http://i54.tinypic.com/33c43k6.jpg

K^2
27th Feb 2011, 11:35
can i put myself in the game with some sort of editor ?
Yes. Photoshop.

Somehow, I don't expect any inverse kinematics in this game. Which makes me really worried about takedowns, by the way.

subtlesnake
27th Feb 2011, 12:24
Isn't inverse kinematics pretty standard these days? I mean it was used in Half-Life 2, some 7 years ago.

olle_bsson
27th Feb 2011, 13:30
If you have two full energy bars and put cloak on, does it stay on till all of the bars are empty or does it turn off when the first one is depleted?

Daeda
27th Feb 2011, 15:21
If you have two full energy bars and put cloak on, does it stay on till all of the bars are empty or does it turn off when the first one is depleted?

Should be untill all are depleted. When you only have one you cant really turn on cloack though. Atleast I couldnt, mightve been a bug ofcource.

mahmoudd
27th Feb 2011, 15:43
when do objective markers appear on your hud? i saw a gameplay scene where you see an objective marker

are they always there? in which conditions do these marker appear?

also, in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAXOTugQGvs&NR=1&t=4m20s

we can see that the player is profusely using invisibility
does the bio energy regens like health or what? is he playing one easy mode?

K^2
27th Feb 2011, 16:56
Isn't inverse kinematics pretty standard these days? I mean it was used in Half-Life 2, some 7 years ago.
You'd think so, wouldn't you? But games keep using canned animations. Almost all of the exceptions are relying on some standard animation engine, like Euphoria. HL2 is a rare exception. For its day, its animation engine was rather advanced. It still looks rather advanced compared to most games. And even in Source, the problem is only partially solved. Wasn't the Hydra cut from the engine specifically because of the animation/AI issues? Of course, they had far less resources to dedicate, and most of the issues with inverse kinematics are purely computational.

Reality of it is that few people have any idea what's going on with the engine they are using bellow API level, and people who do, usually have their hands full with optimization issues. Inverse kinematic isn't something you let a script monkey take care of, and so if it's not already in the engine, it's not usually implemented. The only reason I have any idea how to code something like this is because I deal with inverse convolutions quite a bit with various spectral representations, and these offer many of the same issues. This is far above the pay-grade of common coder.

EM is using Tomb Raider Underworld engine for HR. Heavily modified, of course. With Tomb Raider, the only place one might want to use inverse kinematics is Lara climbing walls. But since the environments are rather fixed, it's easier to simply have canned animation for each action. It seems that this was the direction chosen for Underworld. At least, I did not see anything resembling inverse kinematics in TRU or HR videos released thus far. If I am wrong, I'd be pleasantly surprised. So far, I see no indication of that.

Heck, now that I think about it, 3rd person view on ladder climbing might be there to mask the problems with animations. It sure would be a lot less noticeable if the jump in animation and player position happened when you switched views.

mahmoudd
27th Feb 2011, 17:05
another question
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAXOTugQGvs&NR=1&t=8m41s

look at this
we see cardboard box covers, but the robot can't destroy them with his dual machine guns
do bullets go through certain materials? like carboard boxes and wooden boxes

IOOI
27th Feb 2011, 17:17
Thanks Daeda! :thumb:

[FGS]Shadowrunner
27th Feb 2011, 18:17
Cloak apparently lasts 3-4 seconds at the basic level. That's exciting, seems like a fix of DX1.