PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on villains.

Arthur Pendragon
17th Feb 2011, 23:12
Okay I'm sure we've all seen the concept art. but there is one where lara is hanging upside down and behind her you cas see a lot of other captives. They seem to be held in spider sacs:(:eek: (oh no) There is another one with a menacing figure with an axe. what other villains do you think there will be?
P.S I really hope there aren't spiders again. (That was, in my oppinion, TRU's only fault)

Denis..
18th Feb 2011, 00:04
i want evil teddy bears and living spaghetti!

Jurre
18th Feb 2011, 09:47
Monsters, aliens, evil men.

Certanly not bats and spiders...

Danielsun_
18th Feb 2011, 23:24
im up for anything but ridiculous emo girls with long finger nails from the leaked concept art. Its not scary its just silly :/

brand.seph
19th Feb 2011, 13:50
Agreed with Jure and Danielsun. ^^)
Or maybe a Natural Monster from the Sea, like a giant octupus or giant spiders... but not the overly big ones like the ones at GOD.

Im expecting Traitors in the game, except Captain Roth.

Cristiavano
19th Feb 2011, 16:40
i thought they were rapists(since they wore no clothes in the concept art) anyway I just read a book on you Arthur Pendragon called
"THE ONCE AND FUTURE KING" Tomb raider started the whole sword in stone thing for me :)

LC is Me
19th Feb 2011, 18:19
im up for anything but ridiculous emo girls with long finger nails from the leaked concept art. Its not scary its just silly :/

Uhh...you kinda have to have an understanding of Japanese folklore before you just call them "emo girls with long fingernails".
Besides, they are just concepts, it's not like it's a final product.

Anyway....
Anything that presents an actual challenge is fine with me.
Otherwise, I'm likely to be pissed off the entire game. D;

Tuneit
19th Feb 2011, 19:17
P.S I really hope there aren't spiders again. (That was, in my oppinion, TRU's only fault)

I want the spiders D:

However they weren't scary in Underworld, i remember the huge spider from Tomb Raider III was scary as hell!

Or maybe it was just because i was very small the last time i played the final level in that game :/

But really, scary creatures would fit the dark and mysterious atmosphere of the new game.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
20th Feb 2011, 03:21
I hope for some sort of mutants with close combat like the TR2 club men. Lots of very creepy monsters to fit the environment.

I want the spiders D:

However they weren't scary in Underworld, i remember the huge spider from Tomb Raider III was scary as hell!

Those big mutants in the Tinnos level near the end of TR3 were the ones that terrified me. They were so tough and so quickly on you. Mind you the willard spider was scary too. Hope this TR has some more scary monsters as the CD games havn't been that scary as yet.

RosePetals
20th Feb 2011, 10:47
Uhh...you kinda have to have an understanding of Japanese folklore before you just call them "emo girls with long fingernails".
Besides, they are just concepts, it's not like it's a final product.

What are those little emo girls anyway? They gave me the creeps the first time I saw them. I was like, O_O I've been doing some research in Japanese literature/mythology, but I can't seem to find anything on them. :mad2:

Ants_27_
20th Feb 2011, 11:52
What are those little emo girls anyway? They gave me the creeps the first time I saw them. I was like, O_O I've been doing some research in Japanese literature/mythology, but I can't seem to find anything on them. :mad2:

The 'emo girls' are the kind of things that, thanks to horror films, are as predictable as Christmas day.;)

They are the types of things that are no more annoying to be up against as opposed to scary so I hope they get rid of them cause they're pretty boring in a way now... sort of like zombies, they've been used far too much. Providing we're on the same creature here?:scratch:
http://www.scaryforkids.com/japanese-legends/

KellyMissMurder
20th Feb 2011, 12:43
Whatever villains there are, I hope they keep me as busy and entertained as the ones in TR2 did. In quantity and quality. I've been quietly waiting for a TR game that will live up to the baddies in TR2.

brand.seph
20th Feb 2011, 14:22
Ah well, just as long as Lara's alive. ^^

Ants_27_
20th Feb 2011, 18:49
I've said this before, I'm sure of it. But...

I hope they don't create three enemies and just copy and paste them... Underworld... I respect they take time of course they do but I think it comes down to my obsession with details.

I suppose it comes down to my personal personality but I like it when I see they've took time to create even the minor things most people don't even notice, it shows they really want to create this experience and this world. For example, I do a lot of writing and when I do it I don't gloss over it with just a simple story, I have to come up with the names for individual foods the people would eat, names for drinks and I even name characters you don't see. I don't consider it to be complete unless I do so. Rambling yes I know but I think it's a similar idea and why I hate games that just throw the same enemy at you over and over again.:nut:

Though I hope they create ones that haven't been used before, alas my dislike of the whole 'grudge' appearance. It might be completely different, be able to crush peoples internals by simply glancing at them but the appearance will always (for me) be the grudge.

LC is Me
20th Feb 2011, 22:48
At first I thought they were onryou. Onryou are spirits of vengeance. Typically they were tortured in some way or another or brutalized in life and use their positions in the spirit world to exact vengeance on anything or anybody who crosses their path.

Then, after bringing it to light, another user, naraku, clarified that they are most likely shikome. The shikome were a group of old women who were sent by Izanami to return her husband Izangi to the underworld. They were some pretty vicious things.

If done right, and the M-rating granting more limits, they can be fierce enemies.
....Or they could disappoint us and give them the ambiance of a wet sock in the middle of the highway. As long as they don't make them boring and just stand and stare at you...

Hoodedclaw
21st Feb 2011, 16:36
Vampires, clowns and bats it would be soooooooooo cool i could just imaging it.

ehhh what the heck. lol x

LC is Me
21st Feb 2011, 20:11
Vampires, clowns and bats it would be soooooooooo cool i could just imaging it.

ehhh what the heck. lol x
Clowns...
Just..

No...I can't even...just no....
Never.

Arthur Pendragon
22nd Feb 2011, 22:34
Wow! I haven't been on in a while but all I have to say is Wow! I didn't expect so many EPIC comments. I was also surprised to see so many people agree about the spiders. I have severe aracnaphobia. :( But thank you all. I agree about the clowns. Nice ones like chesey b-day clowns aren't bad. Sinister evil ones.....O_O EEK!!
P.S. I think it is great, Lyle Croft, that you wrote that about Arthur. TR Legend got me hooked too.

Charlie.T.Raider
24th Feb 2011, 02:17
Just want to see more variety as TRU seemed to use too much of same enemies. Love the scary Japanese girls idea and the scary spiders

Arthur Pendragon
16th May 2011, 01:20
Alright, so I just picked up a copy of the Playstation magazine, the one that features a like 10 page article (complete with epic pictures) about the next Tomb Raider, wow. I don't think there is going to be any spiders. Thank goodness :) It's only like 5.99 in the U.S.

Arthur Pendragon
16th May 2011, 01:22
OOH! Charlie T. Raider, I know what you mean. There were too many of the same enemies. But, as soon as you moved to a different level, even if the enemies didn't make sense, you'd still encounter the same beasties. I think scary Japanese girls would make it a little too weird. Maybe if they did it tastefully. I don't agree with the spiders thing however.....:)

Angy1996
17th May 2011, 16:58
denis lol :D
i would say yes to those freaky girls (even though when i first saw the i creeped out)
no to that awful huge spiders (although they were a good thing in tr u)
wolves!!! i would feel very thankfull if the game had some sort of zombies in it but anyway THINK I ASKED TO MANY THINGS :DD

Natla
17th May 2011, 17:16
i want evil teddy bears and living spaghetti!

Sounds good

monwolf
20th May 2011, 07:54
Spiders, snakes, ants... basically all those creepy crawlies you'd find on an island... only giant mutant forms though... giant cockaroaches?!... I just gave myself the chills!

Natla
20th May 2011, 14:28
A giant robotic corgi

Greenas
20th May 2011, 19:53
Supernatural creepy stuff.

Jerion
20th May 2011, 23:27
I'd like to see a proper larger-than-life-yet-not-comic-book-evil villain in a TR game. Somebody like Bill from Kill Bill Vol. 2. Lara deserves to be squared off against that kind of three-dimensional character, even if it isn't human. Or of this world.

Cheeky_Charlie
3rd Jun 2011, 06:52
I really hope for animal "baddies" like in TR1 and underworld, But If Crystal Dynamics are going for a little bit of a "horror" theme, the baddies should be not be seen or used so often. maybe some weird tribal people and animals for your "everyday shootings" and then the emogirls for a rare/scare/be aware moments... maybe...

Ants_27_
3rd Jun 2011, 08:06
No British even, MI6 nut, or Nazis, although in Indy's universe they're always welcome. ;)

I'm looking forward to a focus on the creatures of the Island, more Clive Barker's been involved. But my final point would be I hope they don't re use the same enemy over and over again... Thralls anybody.

Then from that view I'll be happy. :)

Silvermoth
3rd Jun 2011, 10:27
I'ld like to see more of the archeologists/pirates/evil business people type villians than supernatural. People that Lara would have a personal issue with.

As long as it's not animals. I hate having to kill animals in games.

TrueSouthernPeach
7th Jun 2011, 19:50
I am really up for any kind of villan! The only ones that ever bothered me were the security guards like in TR3 and TR6... I didn't feel right just shooting and killing innocent security guards that are just trying to do their job! I would like to have more villians that are really dangerous and a threat and not just some poor sap who's in the wrong place at the wrong time. I also think it would be better if Lara has to encounter any innocent people that she just ties them up or uses cleverness to get out of a bind as opposed to gunning them down! hehe.

Arthur Pendragon
10th Jun 2011, 14:31
:)I like the robot corgi. Also, I'm thinking like a tiny poodle..........with a taste for blood. lol

Arthur Pendragon
10th Jun 2011, 15:09
Hey, sorry for the double post, but, What do yall think of the mystery dcavenger guy? He said, in the demo preview thingy, "I want to help you, come back!" So, what if this guy is sincere. I wonder if he's just a person that got stranded and could be of help, or if he's a stranded person who's gone psycho. So, your thoughts are? Also, that preview was EPIC! It was so intense. I've watched it like 3 times. Every time she gets stuck under the glass hatch, I sit there going "Come on Lara, you can't die like this" and every time she gets pulled out and when she jumps to the captain guy, I think he's called Conrad Roth but whatevs, I go "You can make it! You Can Make It!!!!!!" and then, she falls and I'm like "NO!!!!!!!" Your thoughts on the Scavenger dude and the video?

Jaheria
11th Jun 2011, 03:06
What's all this about emo Japanese girls? Did I miss a piece of concept art somewhere?

Angy1996
11th Jun 2011, 15:39
Hey, sorry for the double post, but, What do yall think of the mystery dcavenger guy? He said, in the demo preview thingy, "I want to help you, come back!" So, what if this guy is sincere. I wonder if he's just a person that got stranded and could be of help, or if he's a stranded person who's gone psycho. So, your thoughts are? Also, that preview was EPIC! It was so intense. I've watched it like 3 times. Every time she gets stuck under the glass hatch, I sit there going "Come on Lara, you can't die like this" and every time she gets pulled out and when she jumps to the captain guy, I think he's called Conrad Roth but whatevs, I go "You can make it! You Can Make It!!!!!!" and then, she falls and I'm like "NO!!!!!!!" Your thoughts on the Scavenger dude and the video?
i havent heard that....well he doesnt seem very helpfull ( i talk about the psycho man) we actually havent seen whats happening if we dont press the buttons...well the preview/trailer was epic...i whatched it over and over and especially when she put bandages on her wounds....

LARALOVERnr1
11th Jun 2011, 17:26
i havent heard that....well he doesnt seem very helpfull ( i talk about the psycho man) we actually havent seen whats happening if we dont press the buttons...well the preview/trailer was epic...i whatched it over and over and especially when she put bandages on her wounds....

The gamespot preview said that if you failed the QTE, he would stab Lara in the chest and than close her eyes.

He's pure evil... :eek:

Angy1996
12th Jun 2011, 18:20
The gamespot preview said that if you failed the QTE, he would stab Lara in the chest and than close her eyes.

you see he is not helpfull at all .... glad his head gets smashed from this big rock :rolleyes:

Arthur Pendragon
16th Jun 2011, 12:33

Yeah! That was an intense moment. It was like she realized that nothing could get worse. Ah, I love talking about stuff like this.

Arthur Pendragon
16th Jun 2011, 12:35

Oh, okay. I didn't hear that. Thanks. :)

Angy1996
17th Jun 2011, 21:45
Yeah! That was an intense moment. It was like she realized that nothing could get worse. Ah, I love talking about stuff like this.

Hahahahahahaha ok i must agree :D but seriously how worse can it be? :rasp:

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
19th Jun 2011, 02:28
i definitely want to see some darker, more skin-crawling fiends in the new game. animals and old zombies are good, but i want to see something that is going to give me nightmares :D

Odonata
20th Jun 2011, 17:56
Maybe there's a main enemy that has its evil "tendrils" spread throughout the island and it corrupts and maybe mutates its captives. Kind of like the longer a person is on the island, the greater that person is infected. The sacrifice may have been set up by the lesser enemies to appease this being that holds the island in its grasp. I haven't read up on any Japanese lore but maybe there's some spirit or creature that could fit.

d1n0_xD
20th Jun 2011, 18:09
I think that those little monsters that we saw in concept art will be regular monsters, you know, the majority. And they will be super-fast, you know, hurling towards you but are very easy to kill. And maybe, as we progress, they mutate little by little, become less vulnerable, with few extra tricks up their sleeves (kinda like zombies from Left 4 Dead). And of course, bosses, which I have no idea what would they look like. :D

Arthur Pendragon
21st Jun 2011, 22:13
Great! I think it would be interesting if the main enemy was the island. Kinda like "LOST" lol! Smokey would be a nice touch don't you think. I like the tiny fast monsters. Sounds cool.:gamer::worship: It would be interesting if there was a monster that you had to awaken, like a huge beast that blocks an entrance, to progress. So the entire time, you're expecting what's going to happen. and you're kicking yourself going "No, you've gotta be kidding me. It's asleep, It can't get me. Maybe I can just get it to roll over." Then you wake it up, Idk how maybe you drop a boulder, maybe you poke it :poke: lol jk. But then you awake it and there's a huge boss fight. Like the t-rex from tra. Your thoughts?

Cheeky_Charlie
28th Jun 2011, 06:34
I just saw from tombnews.com in the screenshots section that at least we´ve got wolves as baddies and then that weird caveman from the stage demo (who spoke perfect english...:scratch:)

Greenas
28th Jun 2011, 23:11
:)I like the robot corgi. Also, I'm thinking like a tiny poodle..........with a taste for blood. lol

Killer poodles :lol: :D. Let's not forget about vampire watermelons...:D

d1n0_xD
28th Jun 2011, 23:23

The scavenger dude looked pretty serious and I think there are lots of his kind on the island... I just can't hear that 'I want to help you, come back!' thing, but what the heck... I think he's a frigging cannibal xD

Great! I think it would be interesting if the main enemy was the island. Kinda like "LOST" lol! Smokey would be a nice touch don't you think. I like the tiny fast monsters. Sounds cool.:gamer::worship: It would be interesting if there was a monster that you had to awaken, like a huge beast that blocks an entrance, to progress. So the entire time, you're expecting what's going to happen. and you're kicking yourself going "No, you've gotta be kidding me. It's asleep, It can't get me. Maybe I can just get it to roll over." Then you wake it up, Idk how maybe you drop a boulder, maybe you poke it :poke: lol jk. But then you awake it and there's a huge boss fight. Like the t-rex from tra. Your thoughts?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I feel just a little bit of sarcasm at the begining there, but it's probably just me :p Anyways, that huge boss blocking a path seems fairly good to me, especially if you're trying to just slip by him... And imagine, you can either try to sneak around him but fail and a boss battle begins OR you manage to pass unnoticed and you enter (let's say a building of some kind) and you got what you came for, BUT when you come back, the boss (who was asleep) is now awaken and full of rage :D So, the battle is inevitable, it's just the matter of time :D

Greenas
30th Jun 2011, 15:46
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I feel just a little bit of sarcasm at the begining there, but it's probably just me :p Anyways, that huge boss blocking a path seems fairly good to me, especially if you're trying to just slip by him... And imagine, you can either try to sneak around him but fail and a boss battle begins OR you manage to pass unnoticed and you enter (let's say a building of some kind) and you got what you came for, BUT when you come back, the boss (who was asleep) is now awaken and full of rage :D So, the battle is inevitable, it's just the matter of time

I think maybe they could make the stealth section where you sneak past the boss like a big puzzle in which you have to be very careful. They could make it an elaborate and intricate large scale section.

Then if you manage to sneak past the boss, you won't have to fight it, but you feel satisfied because sneaking past it was just as much of a feat as defeating it.

This way you get to choose your style of play and it actually makes a difference to the way the game unfolds...

JRod108
30th Jun 2011, 17:25
I want animals. They're realistic and it would make no sense if they weren't there. Luckily, it looks like CD at least added wolves.

Perhaps we could fight other survivors from the other ships. (In fact, I think Creepy Skull Dude was one of those people, but went crazy, which is why he would speak perfect English.) Perhaps the island could be inhabited of what became the survivors, which would be some sort of insane, maybe cannibalistic, tribe.

I wouldn't say no to monsters, either. So long as they're tasteful. The thralls were good for a few levels on TRU, but they lost their luster after CD kept rehashing them throughout the entire game. Really, I would prefer if the monsters were random events that happen rarely. Make them difficult and pop out at us. They don't really have to look scary if we are made to dread them. (In a good way. It would suck if CD made us dread them because they're unenjoyable.)

Arthur Pendragon
5th Jul 2011, 00:33
The scavenger dude looked pretty serious and I think there are lots of his kind on the island... I just can't hear that 'I want to help you, come back!' thing, but what the heck... I think he's a frigging cannibal xD

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I feel just a little bit of sarcasm at the begining there, but it's probably just me :p Anyways, that huge boss blocking a path seems fairly good to me, especially if you're trying to just slip by him... And imagine, you can either try to sneak around him but fail and a boss battle begins OR you manage to pass unnoticed and you enter (let's say a building of some kind) and you got what you came for, BUT when you come back, the boss (who was asleep) is now awaken and full of rage :D So, the battle is inevitable, it's just the matter of time :D

No I wasn't being sarcastic. I think it would be cool if there was something about the island that was alive. Maybe posessed and at the end you have to do something (Maybe destroy a support stone of sorts that would make the island sink and be defeated) and then you have to manage to get to the ship graveyard and try to get a way off the island. I think the smoke monster would be a nice touch. It would be too weird though. I would probably die of laughter.:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

sierra xb
5th Jul 2011, 19:06

I personally liked the spiders in Underworld...gave me something to do with Lara's shotgun at close range :) Since this game is supposed to be about Lara being more realistic, I would like to see the "villains" also be more realistic than they have in the past..no monsters or anything supernatural, just the island crazies and dangerous animals that you would expect. This is Lara's first real adventure, and I would hate to see her thrown up against the "monsters" realm right from the beginning.

LadyRufina
23rd Jul 2011, 23:02
I don't want there to be monsters monsters but something really dark and gritty. I like the thought of that guy that was chasing her through the caverns demo but maybe the way he creeps up on her to be a bit scarier but the makers probably will and they just don't wanna show it in the demo. I'd like there to be rapists and really messed up murderers. I'm not crazy but i'd just like this game to be really gritty...

sierra xb
24th Jul 2011, 01:06
I don't want there to be monsters monsters but something really dark and gritty. I like the thought of that guy that was chasing her through the caverns demo but maybe the way he creeps up on her to be a bit scarier but the makers probably will and they just don't wanna show it in the demo. I'd like there to be rapists and really messed up murderers. I'm not crazy but i'd just like this game to be really gritty...

I totally agree. For me, the idea of monsters is scary enough, but at least with monsters, you know where you stand...they want to kill you and you know it. With people, there is always that aspect of "what do they really want?". You don't know if you can trust them or not, like in the demo where the one crazy says he is trying to help her, but really wants to kill her. That would play games with your head because you would never be able to tell who was a friend or an enemy...to me, that is just creepier than an outright monster.

LadyRufina
24th Jul 2011, 02:59
I totally agree. For me, the idea of monsters is scary enough, but at least with monsters, you know where you stand...they want to kill you and you know it. With people, there is always that aspect of "what do they really want?". You don't know if you can trust them or not, like in the demo where the one crazy says he is trying to help her, but really wants to kill her. That would play games with your head because you would never be able to tell who was a friend or an enemy...to me, that is just creepier than an outright monster.

Exactly, and he automatically has more density than any old monster and you're more in touch with him. You wanna know how he ended up on the island as well and how he might have become like that, but with a monster you don't really think and just shoot without thought.

d1n0_xD
24th Jul 2011, 10:24
^ I like that idea too :thumb: but what about those freaks we saw in the concept art? And in the demo, you know, one was, like, sacrificed or something. They surely play a major role too, and they don't look like those 2 dudes who attacked Lara...

LadyRufina
24th Jul 2011, 16:08
^ I like that idea too :thumb: but what about those freaks we saw in the concept art? And in the demo, you know, one was, like, sacrificed or something. They surely play a major role too, and they don't look like those 2 dudes who attacked Lara...

Yes, i'm not saying don't add them, besides, I don't want all the 'villains' to be humans because 1) It may get a bit boring and 2) It may scrape away a bit of the grittiness on them. Overall I like the look of those little japanese monsters, they're scary and sorta human shaped so could be like mutated humans that were on the island years ago...?

Arthur Pendragon
24th Jul 2011, 19:39
I think there should be both. I like it when you have to work to kill them. But i do agree, there were too many thralls and yetis I think they should put more people in it. It makes it more real. :)

d1n0_xD
24th Jul 2011, 19:42
Well, as long those human enemies are not like those mercenaries in Legend, it's good... So, those psychos fit in, they're human but... crazy XD

dark7angel
24th Jul 2011, 21:04
I like how in the first Uncharted game we only have human enemies and in the end we have those gollum like creatures!!!! It was totally unexpected because the whole game is so grounded we never (or at least I never) saw that coming!!!!!

I would like something similar with the new TR game!!! Maybe at first we only get human enemies and we start growing confidence and finding the best strategies to defeat them and then we have to face something else (be it a creature or whatever) and our combat strategy has to change!!! We have to adapt to the new type enemy!

sierra xb
25th Jul 2011, 01:50
I would like something similar with the new TR game!!! Maybe at first we only get human enemies and we start growing confidence and finding the best strategies to defeat them and then we have to face something else (be it a creature or whatever) and our combat strategy has to change!!! We have to adapt to the new type enemy!

Based on that scenario, I think I could live with some bad guys who aren't quite human anymore. I personally wouldn't want to see any outright "monsters" like thralls or things like that, but the idea of creatures that were and still are a bit human probably wouldn't be a bad thing.

LadyRufina
25th Jul 2011, 23:29
I really like the gollum idea thing, like sierra said, where they were once humans but something happened on the island and they began to change into gollum-like entities. Maybe they grew different body frames over time like some are smaller and faster and can jump on Lara and try and bite at her and some are bigger and can charge at Lara and knock her down...?

d1n0_xD
25th Jul 2011, 23:47
^ I like that variety, something like those boss zombies in Left 4 Dead, you know :D
Boomer - really fat and big one, throws up something sticky and toxic on you, you can't see
Tank - A really big zombie, that rushes towards the player, knocking everything on the path
Hunter - A really fast one, able to jump very high and for long distances, and to jump on the player
Smoker - A zombie with a long tongue, catches the player with it... and when you kill it, it explodes and there's smoke all over the place, hence the name
Witch - My personal favourite. You hear a baby crying, only to realise that is the witch, and she's really fast and strong... and insane xD Triggered by light

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there should be zombies in the new TR or anything like that, but this enemy characterisation should be impemented in the game... 5 or 6 different types of enemies, each with their own strengths and weaknesses :D And when you kill it, somethin happens, you know, even if you killed it, don't immediately go near it :D

And of course, boss enemies :p

LadyRufina
26th Jul 2011, 00:09
^ I like that variety, something like those boss zombies in Left 4 Dead, you know :D
Boomer - really fat and big one, throws up something sticky and toxic on you, you can't see
Tank - A really big zombie, that rushes towards the player, knocking everything on the path
Hunter - A really fast one, able to jump very high and for long distances, and to jump on the player
Smoker - A zombie with a long tongue, catches the player with it... and when you kill it, it explodes and there's smoke all over the place, hence the name
Witch - My personal favourite. You hear a baby crying, only to realise that is the witch, and she's really fast and strong... and insane xD Triggered by light

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there should be zombies in the new TR or anything like that, but this enemy characterisation should be impemented in the game... 5 or 6 different types of enemies, each with their own strengths and weaknesses :D And when you kill it, somethin happens, you know, even if you killed it, don't immediately go near it :D

And of course, boss enemies :p

Good but then, it may get repetetive. Left 4 dead is a good game but this is a survival/horror so i wouldn't like there to be the same enemies over and over
then it would become like TR:U; all those spiders and mercs :\

d1n0_xD
26th Jul 2011, 00:26
Yeah, but think about it... Lara doesn't have many weapons, and even less ammo, so there is 1 enemy, 2 tops :D This isn't a game where you can just throw 20 enemies and let Lara kill 'em (like in Legend), so this kinda fits, IMO... And they can always make a large variety of enemies, not just "human" ones :D

sierra xb
26th Jul 2011, 00:35
I really like the gollum idea thing, like sierra said, where they were once humans but something happened on the island and they began to change into gollum-like entities. Maybe they grew different body frames over time like some are smaller and faster and can jump on Lara and try and bite at her and some are bigger and can charge at Lara and knock her down...?

That would be an interesting way to introduce something not-quite-human to the game. Imagine that there is something in the water on the island or some cargo on board one of the wrecked ships that causes insanity and then altered dna with prolonged exposure. Something like that could take generations so Lara herself would not be at risk, but it would be a good excuse for "gollum" type creatures or even the oversized wolves that she appears to have to deal with. Hmmm....

LadyRufina
26th Jul 2011, 12:27
That would be an interesting way to introduce something not-quite-human to the game. Imagine that there is something in the water on the island or some cargo on board one of the wrecked ships that causes insanity and then altered dna with prolonged exposure. Something like that could take generations so Lara herself would not be at risk, but it would be a good excuse for "gollum" type creatures or even the oversized wolves that she appears to have to deal with. Hmmm....

ooorr it might not have to be generations how they turned out. And one of the missions some of the crew might turn into the gollum-ish things and Lara has to find out the source of the problem before everyone turns into them? I'm getting reall far-fetched now but I can't help it i'm so excited!!! :lmao:

VioletBlue
26th Jul 2011, 16:10
I think having animals as the villains as they have always been part of Tomb Raider games would be good to continue but they could make it a bit more realistic. As from the survivor point of view with attacking animals more powerful than you then it is a kill or be killed situation, and being put in such a position would strengthen you as a person especially if you love animals!

However I think it would be good for game play to have animals a bit more realistic as in the sense that not every wolf or carnivore would attack you straight on, most would only charge at you if they felt they were under attack or you were on their territory. As Lara explores the Island it would be good if the way you move her has an impact on a potential situation. For example, if there is a wolf up ahead, you could even sneak/walk slowly so as not to appear threatening or cross it’s territory, but if you cross a certain point then it will attack. Or you could have option if there were stones about to kick or throw at them (like you kick objects during Legend) to scare the animal off or to repeatedly throw stones but would have to be a quick pace to successfully drive the animal away or just kill them with your weapons. Think having that as a choice would be a lot more realistic and fun as obviously won’t apply to all animals/villains - that would be when you as player would have to work out the risk that the animal holds to your survival. And to have an option as to whether to just kill it or scare if off.

Then on the otherhand have the really bad guy villains/monsters when you do have no option but just to kill or out run it!!

sierra xb
26th Jul 2011, 16:24
I think having animals as the villains as they have always been part of Tomb Raider games would be good to continue but they could make it a bit more realistic. As from the survivor point of view with attacking animals more powerful than you then it is a kill or be killed situation, and being put in such a position would strengthen you as a person especially if you love animals!

However I think it would be good for game play to have animals a bit more realistic as in the sense that not every wolf or carnivore would attack you straight on, most would only charge at you if they felt they were under attack or you were on their territory. As Lara explores the Island it would be good if the way you move her has an impact on a potential situation. For example, if there is a wolf up ahead, you could even sneak/walk slowly so as not to appear threatening or cross it’s territory, but if you cross a certain point then it will attack. Or you could have option if there were stones about to kick or throw at them (like you kick objects during Legend) to scare the animal off or to repeatedly throw stones but would have to be a quick pace to successfully drive the animal away or just kill them with your weapons. Think having that as a choice would be a lot more realistic and fun as obviously won’t apply to all animals/villains - that would be when you as player would have to work out the risk that the animal holds to your survival. And to have an option as to whether to just kill it or scare if off.

Then on the otherhand have the really bad guy villains/monsters when you do have no option but just to kill or out run it!!

I actually like that idea. It is true that out in nature, not every animal out there wants to kill you. Most are just protective of their territory. In the interest of being a game, I would imagine that every animal should be a threat of some kind, but you are correct...I would like the option of avoiding them if necessary instead of having to kill every single one you encounter in order to proceed with the game. Perhaps at the beginning the animals could be avoided or scared off, but as the game progresses, they could become more agressive and become more difficult to just avoid, especially if they are somewhat mutated from whatever has affected the human inhabitants of the island.

VioletBlue
7th Aug 2011, 16:26
I think that’s an interesting concept to actually have a reason behind why the villains/animals get more aggressive as the game goes on, rather than it just being down to the obvious form of levels getting more challenging. Think games are more engrossing when you get a view point from each angle!

d1n0_xD
7th Aug 2011, 22:43
I saw a similar concept in Return to Mysterious Island 2. The island was, like, dying, and the flora and wildlife were too. So, it would be cool if, in the beginning, you start (regarding the animals) with normal animals, they can attack you or not, you can attack them or not BUT, you (or someone else) trigger something on the island that causes every living thing to mutate, become more agressive and strong... :D You know, we encounter a pack of wolves, one of them Lara defeats but later in the game, you encounter the remaining wolves, now really disfigured and thirsty for your blood :D An example with the wolves, but this can be applied to other animals and those natives, in a lot of different ways... But, I imagine since Lara is a beginner, this would be too hard for her, but again, Karl said, she evolves into a stronger woman, so this scenario is plausible (using a Mythbusters term there :p )

naraku
16th Aug 2011, 08:53
Face-palm.... Okay, by now I have to live with the fact that Tomb Raider is a survival horror game now... And I can't believe man eating zombies are so mainstream now that I almost expect one to be delivering my pizzas soon. Their fodder now, but a good Villain's a Villain and I expect more from them than I want to kill you etc... Also It can't be comical like the "Look Scooby-Doo, it's a man in a costume" moment we got in Uncharted Among Thieves. Would be nice to find an old bearded survivor that's been driven into madness by the hairy laddies and is a cannibal, or the white paint dudes from "Danger Island!":lol:

But on a more serious note, more than likely the hairy ladies are the undead monsters and the villain will probably be Roth.

Arthur Pendragon
10th Sep 2011, 13:59
Good but then, it may get repetetive. Left 4 dead is a good game but this is a survival/horror so i wouldn't like there to be the same enemies over and over
then it would become like TR:U; all those spiders and mercs :\
I couldn't agree more. I think all of those dang spiders kinda ruined it for me. I liked the story line and gameplay and the graphics rocked my world but then the spiders came. I still think the game is fantastic just not breathtaking. The mercs were a little less than impressive or a little delibretly unremarkable but I thought they weren't awful, just not showstoping.

Arthur Pendragon
10th Sep 2011, 14:06

I love that idea. They are going for realistic and I live in the woods and have wandered through the woods to see a wolf up ahead. As long as you don't panic you can slowly walk away non-threateningly. Idk if this is just a stupid idea, but maybe you should be able to climb trees. just randomly. Not all of them just a few here or there so you can get up and see if there's a pack of wolves ahead or so if you're being charged by one you can climb the tree and safely kill it. Lara has limited weapons so she would want to be able to kill it from somewhere that she doesn't have to worry that it can kill her and thus making her arms shake a little. Maybe it's stupid. your thoughts?

philippe
10th Sep 2011, 15:27
Hello,
I use Dxtre3d and I would like to teleport Lara in another room(part,play) (in the same level) How I have to make?
Sorry, but I speak English very badly

mikey716
10th Sep 2011, 22:46
I want to see something we haven ever saw in the game...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm What Haven't We Saw?

LadyRufina
11th Sep 2011, 12:26
I want to see something we haven ever saw in the game...Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm What Haven't We Saw?

Just think of a non-endagered or extinct species and you'll find loads of things ;)

VioletBlue
22nd Sep 2011, 10:08
Idk if this is just a stupid idea, but maybe you should be able to climb trees. just randomly. Not all of them just a few here or there so you can get up and see if there's a pack of wolves ahead or so if you're being charged by one you can climb the tree and safely kill it. Lara has limited weapons so she would want to be able to kill it from somewhere that she doesn't have to worry that it can kill her and thus making her arms shake a little. Maybe it's stupid. your thoughts?

I like this idea and being able to climb trees would definitely make it more realistic. This would have been cool for the first Tomb Raider/Anniversary with the T-Rex level - how I would have loved to have been able to escape up a tree! haha

Could use tree feature as a mini map too to get feel of layout of area! :)

mikey716
25th Sep 2011, 15:59
Giant Flying Pigs!!!!!! :P Or how about...Elephants,And zombies

d1n0_xD
26th Jan 2012, 10:46
So, I found this on tumblr and decided to share... Didn't want to open a new thread so I'll bring this one back to life :D

So, here's the thing: tumblr user "bloodymiki" found this, so I'll just quote him

Looking at a concept art for the new Tomb Raider I found this.

The image, among other things, has a triangle and a kind of human figure that shows a supernatural radiance. The triangle is a clear reference to the Dragon’s Triangle (The place like the Bermuda’s Triangle, but in the Pacific).

The strangest part is the human figure. In the full image (http://driber.net/os/tr9/concept005.jpg) we can find a similar figure: a kind of divinity that shines. If we join these two elements, “The Triangle” and “Divinity”, the result gives us the mystery of the island where Lara has wrecked.

My question is: Will Lara faced this Divinity? Or this Divinity is just a metaphor for an ancient artifact?

PS: This may not mean anything, but this seemed an interesting theory :P

So, feel free to discuss, this definitely seems interesting, and I like it if there's a divine creature :D

Darkwoodsoftime
27th Jan 2012, 07:30
^ it could be just random drawings .... not sure :D . i remember Assassin's creed had something like this (triangle and stuff xD) and there was a lot of rumors before the release . but as it turned out ... nothing happened
idunno but having creatures on this island is a bit .. out of mind (IMO) . .... i'll go for Possessed people :D like alan wake's villains of some sort .

Driber
27th Jan 2012, 09:18
heh, that user sure has an eye for detail!

Oh and Dino, I'd upload that pic to a different image host and edit your post accordingly, if I were you. Those images from s3.amazonaws.com which contain "Expires=" in the URL are going to....expire, as indicated. Meaning your post will in a few days have a dead image in it.

Feel free to use http://driber.net/os/userpics/up/

d1n0_xD
27th Jan 2012, 09:42
^ Done, thank you ^^

@Darkwoodsoftime, yeah, you're probably right, but I always wonder why do devs put such things in there if it isn't something like a teaser of what we could see, but like you said, it's probably nothing, maybe they just wanna deceive us :p And sure, possessed people sounds right :D It'd be cool if there are people who are really possessed and they are really dangerous, and people who think they are possessed but actually they've been on drugs(herbs and stuff for their rituals) to create some kind of a variety and a comical effect :D

Driber
27th Jan 2012, 09:56
hehe, and when Lara touches the stuff herself, she'll get high and the screen will go all like...

loGKJNfF_7A&start=138

:D

d1n0_xD
27th Jan 2012, 11:12
^ Hahah, and the controls become inverted, up is down, left is right :D

Lordsnake71
28th Mar 2012, 20:58
Whatever Bosses they throw at us I hope they each have different strategies to take them down. an example would be the many different boss fights in world of warcraft. I don't just want to shoot them till they die. Make It Exciting!

Lara Croft 1993
23rd Apr 2012, 20:09
I saw 3 "new enemy on one youtube video they look like they come straight out of silent hill.I don't know is it legal to put link so i wont and if it is you tell me so you can see them.

RyanRaider
6th May 2012, 10:22
i think it'll be some man who has been on this island for years, and when people crash on his island he captures them and try to murder them for something spiritual on the island! SPOOKY!

underworldraider
6th May 2012, 17:43
Actually surviving against the environment, and natural predators on the island would be interesting and would fit with the "survival of the fittest" goal. Maybe (as pictured in some screen shots) there is some freaky island tribe on this island who captures Lara. :lol: Anyways, I'm kinda open with the concept and mostly interested on what they would come up with.

i think it'll be some man who has been on this island for years, and when people crash on his island he captures them and try to murder them for something spiritual on the island! SPOOKY!

^ Ahah i could also see this happening. reminds me of the 2002 Scooby-Doo movie where they are sent to an island and the island director is turning everyone into those monsters. :p

d1n0_xD
6th May 2012, 19:06
Karl already said that the island is kinda like a character :D We have yet to see what that means :D

LadyRufina
6th May 2012, 19:53
^ I'm thinking volcanoes and tsunamis. There's definately gonna be some ind of mgic source from the island as well. It just seems very magical. Lara's jade necklace looks like it could glow as well. That's a sign of magic.

underworldraider
6th May 2012, 20:39
Karl already said that the island is kinda like a character :D We have yet to see what that means :D

Ah i have had a too long of a break from the forums :p seems to me i have missed some spoilers. Although considering the circumstances I can see where the island would play as a character. ;)

^ I'm thinking volcanoes and tsunamis.

^ Exactly what I was thinking in terms of environmental disasters. I'm thinking a tropical storm leads Lara to cover in a cave, little does she know that someone already resides there. :rasp: dun dun dunnn

d1n0_xD
6th May 2012, 21:04
Yeah, LadyR, I think you're spot on! Can't wait to see what is with that necklace, seems important :D

LadyRufina
6th May 2012, 22:51
It must be quite important for it to have been given to Lara or Lara finding it. It wouldn't just be a fashion accessory. Maybe it gives Lara enhanced agility or strength but I wouldn't want that to be the case. I'd want Lara to survive on her own raw abilities. Though I wouldn't mind if it gave her some other magical abilities like maybe it's the thing that gives her survival instinct? It has to have some kind of magical property, that's all I know.

d1n0_xD
7th May 2012, 07:38
The way I see it, there are probably ruins or objects in which presence the pendant starts to glow... Or it's a key to many of the doors on the island or just one at the end of the game. Blah, these are cliches, I don't know :p Invisibility would be a nice magical property, that would be fun :D

Driber
7th May 2012, 07:59
Perhaps someone should start a "Lara's pendant" discussion thread ;)

Ants_27_
7th May 2012, 08:02
Maybe it destroys a... horcrux. ;)

Nah, but I like the idea of natural disaster things that switch up the threat from being strictly human or animal related... of course as long as they only happen like once or twice (the volcano idea at least).