PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else a sim fan?

Dead-Eye
17th Feb 2011, 08:29
I have been playing a ridicules amount of flight simulators recently. I basically said to myself, now that school has stared for me again, that I won't be playing any trivial games. However I am a huge fan of Simulators and I was wondering if anyone else was the same.

It was one of the things I really liked about Deus Ex, that is felt a bit more like a Simulator then other First Person Shooter. Sort of a espionage sim, one might say.

Looking at the box of games I have I realized I own a LOT of simulator games. I even have this one "Ship Simulator" that was... a bit overboard. :eek: But I have Microsoft Flight Sim X, I have Silent Hunter 3, 4 and 5. I got Flight Gear, I have IL-2, I have Dangerous Waters, etc.

I'm wondering if Deus Ex attracted the Sim crowd, that I'm apparently a member of. :scratch:

7h30n
17th Feb 2011, 09:10
That's why I bough a joystick!

My favourite Sim would be Lock On. Modern fighters and really hardcore simulator, what more could have I asked! Unfortunately I never got it to work properly :( When I bought it my PC barely managed to run it. Later when I upgraded the PC there was no sound because Lock On didn't recognise newer cards or smth.

These days, I'm in college and I don't have much time to devote learning a simulator.

SageSavage
17th Feb 2011, 09:44
Check Eagle Dynamics' DCS: Black Shark and A-10C for real hardcore sims - makes Lock On look arcady.

BigBoss
17th Feb 2011, 09:48
Did anyone else here play Descent Freespace: The Great War? It was a space combat game and it was amazing! I loved it because you could target individual ship components, so if your radar dish was shot, you lost radar, if your warp drive was shot, you couldn't finish the mission, same with weapons, shields, ect.......just awesome.

sonicsidewinder
17th Feb 2011, 15:34
As far as sims go, they were rather personal game experiences. No one else whom i knew played them.

I was really into airplanes as a kid. WWII Flight sims. Eurofighter Typhoon. Still have my original Microsoft Sidewinder Joystick (where my username stems from ;))

I never got to play OpFlashpoint, but i did play Wargasm which in hindsight is a similar game albiet much more arcady. It had awesome music.

Then in more recent years it's been Arma which can be so much fun among likeminded people.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
17th Feb 2011, 20:30
Flight sims are cool. Just before they stopped allowing passengers in cockpits, I was in a cockpit of a 737 and was surprised to see only a joystick and 2 screens, no yoke, dials, nothing...
Wing Commander of course! SWOTL, Red Baron 3-D. I can remember thinking how real Red Baron 3-D was...

Pretentious Old Man.
17th Feb 2011, 20:47
http://www.fritzthefox.com/images/ww2guide_gfx/il2.jpg

II J0SePh X II
17th Feb 2011, 21:54
IL-2: I play it on the goldilocks setting between noob and nerd.

Dead-Eye
17th Feb 2011, 22:15
I play IL-2 with all the realism settings on except limited Fuel and Ammo. It's just not fun to play that game and run out of ammo.

Pretentious Old Man.
17th Feb 2011, 22:22
^^I play it with all realism settings on bar cockpit view lock. I just prefer to fly in 3rd person, although I do occasionally do cockpit-only runs for immersion.

As to my favourite sim...

Harpoon 3. Oh my God, do sims get any more addictive than this?

Ninjerk
18th Feb 2011, 00:11
My cousin and I played the Star Wars sims when we were younger. Played them religiously almost. I never got to play TIE Fighter :(

Arksun
18th Feb 2011, 00:52
I used to be into flight sims quite a bit back in my old Amiga 500 days and then with the first PC I ever had (a 486 DX2 50) with Flight Simulator for Windows 95.But after that I kinda lost interest I guess.

More into space sims now, i absolutely LOVED Privateer 2 - The Darkening when it came out. Pretty amazing for its time with regards to the film footage shot for it. On the cast list was Christopher Walken, J├╝rgen Prochnow (Das Boot), John Hurt, Brian Blessed and the very first time I saw Clive Owen act (thought he put in a good performance)

Also really enjoyed X-Wing Alliance, the sense of scale flying over the super star destroyer, awesome.

Now I'm currently flying in the closed beta of Black Prophecy, dodgy server issues aside that need more tweaking, lots of fun :)

K^2
18th Feb 2011, 02:11
I'm a big fan of flight. Real planes, RCs, simulators. Even written a few simple sims. Working on another one right now.

More into space sims now
Babylon 5: I've Found Her (http://ifhgame.ru/main/) - by far the best space combat sim. Also happens to be free. Check it out.

Dead-Eye
18th Feb 2011, 02:23
I used to be into flight sims quite a bit back in...
...More into space sims now...

That's funny because I have done basically the exact opposite. I liked space sims a few years ago, but now I'm finding fun in playing flight sims more because their a bit more grounded in reality, and thus translate to real life skills better IMO.

Although my favorite space sim thus far: Tachyon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon:_The_Fringe) it's not super realistic. For some reason they decided that when you cut the throttle ships should apparently stop, in space. :scratch: But the main character is voiced by Bruce Campbell, which is brilliant. And the story is pretty good.

It's sad though because it's sort of like the Grim Fandango of space Sims. Innovative, creative, unique, and never really went anywhere.

K^2
18th Feb 2011, 02:41
That's exactly why I don't like most space sims and why I liked B5: IFH. You actually have to keep physics of space flight in mind there. It tries to keep you turning on curves using maneuvering thrusters, but if they can't handle the acceleration required for it, you are going to just spin, which makes combat a lot of fun.

Arksun
18th Feb 2011, 02:41
I'm a big fan of flight. Real planes, RCs, simulators. Even written a few simple sims. Working on another one right now.

Babylon 5: I've Found Her (http://ifhgame.ru/main/) - by far the best space combat sim. Also happens to be free. Check it out.

If you like space sims you should definitely check out black prophecy, should be moving to open beta fairly soon so everyone can join. Free to play also.

Shralla
18th Feb 2011, 03:18
http://eternal-silence.net/

Eternal Silence is a free mod for Half-Life 2 that I played religiously for close to a year. The learning curve is pretty damn steep, moreso now because the regulars have been playing for so long. Unfortunately, at least in part due to the steep learning curve, the community is very small. You won't really find an active server after midnight EST, in general.

However, the game itself is extremely fun. The ground combat is kind of generic, but fast-paced, and definitely has nuances you have to learn if you want to keep up, but obviously where the game shines is the space combat.

If you have Half-Life 2, you should check it out.

http://eternal-silence.net/

K^2
18th Feb 2011, 06:04
^ We're working on bots for that one. That should help a little on the empty servers.

MaxxQ1
18th Feb 2011, 06:19
That's exactly why I don't like most space sims and why I liked B5: IFH. You actually have to keep physics of space flight in mind there. It tries to keep you turning on curves using maneuvering thrusters, but if they can't handle the acceleration required for it, you are going to just spin, which makes combat a lot of fun.

I keep meaning to try out B5: IFH, but I either keep forgetting, or I get distracted by... ohhhhh, shinies!... sorry, what was I saying?

Anyway, another sorta-kinda Newtonian space sim is Independence War - Edge of Chaos. Not quite as accurate as IFH (or even EoC's predecessor, Independence War - available at gog.com - I really need to get that, as my disc version won't play without a Voodoo card), but still a lot of fun to play.

As for the comment earlier about X-Wing Alliance and the size of the Star Destroyers, you really need to check out FreeSpace and FreeSpace 2. Those games really got across how big capital ships can be compared to your puny fighter. I've played X-WA, and the size comparison has nothing on FS1 and 2.

Shralla
18th Feb 2011, 08:47
^ We're working on bots for that one. That should help a little on the empty servers.

We?

K^2
18th Feb 2011, 09:29
I'm helping out with the code for the bots. I'm not really involved with the rest of the development all that much. But there are people still working on it.

Darth Eclipse
18th Feb 2011, 13:19
I have been playing a ridicules amount of flight simulators recently. I basically said to myself, now that school has stared for me again, that I won't be playing any trivial games. However I am a huge fan of Simulators and I was wondering if anyone else was the same.

It was one of the things I really liked about Deus Ex, that is felt a bit more like a Simulator then other First Person Shooter. Sort of a espionage sim, one might say.

Looking at the box of games I have I realized I own a LOT of simulator games. I even have this one "Ship Simulator" that was... a bit overboard. :eek: But I have Microsoft Flight Sim X, I have Silent Hunter 3, 4 and 5. I got Flight Gear, I have IL-2, I have Dangerous Waters, etc.

I'm wondering if Deus Ex attracted the Sim crowd, that I'm apparently a member of. :scratch:

X-Plane 9 is the best flight sim.

Shralla
18th Feb 2011, 18:45
I'm helping out with the code for the bots. I'm not really involved with the rest of the development all that much. But there are people still working on it.

Well I'm of course still following development. I haven't played in a while, but I'm mostly conscious of the recent updates. I've known bots have been in the works for a while. It's pretty cool (and interesting) that somebody from the DX forums is helping with the development of one of my favorite online games! (sad but true)

Human
18th Feb 2011, 22:14
What!? Twenty-something posts and nothing about Falcon 4.0? You guys are ridiculous! That was hands down one of the most engaging sims of all time. I remember playing as a child and loving it. With all of the realistic mods, it took like 15 mins just to take off. You had to hit all of the correct switches/buttons, check all of the gauges... And you only had one shot to turn on the engine (like in real life). Man, watching the rpms climb after a successful crank was one of the best things ever.

The avionics was realistic as well. It was a chore to "lock on" a target, not a one button affair. Heat seeking missiles could be aimed by radar or silently via "bore." Most weapons could be launched in a variety of ways. You could take fuel from the internal/external takes first, jettision off unneeded weapons/empty pylons to be a little more agile in a dogfight. The list was endless. I even got one of those F-16 flight sticks just to play it.

It goes to say that Falcon 4.0 probably was one of the most engaging and most difficult sims to play IMHO.

SageSavage
18th Feb 2011, 22:32
True but the DCS games (the Warthog is about to come out of beta and into online distribution by the end of this month) are just as high fidelity as Falcon 4 was but more up to date. The dynamic campaign remains an advantage of F4 though.

Human
19th Feb 2011, 00:56
True but the DCS games (the Warthog is about to come out of beta and into online distribution by the end of this month) are just as high fidelity as Falcon 4 was but more up to date. The dynamic campaign remains an advantage of F4 though.

Never heard of the DCS franchise (I stopped playing F4 years ago), but 90% of the flight sims out there are younger than F4 (which was made in 98) and is only relevent due to the supporting community. I believe that F4 is the golden standard of combat flight sims (it is like Doom of the FPS genre) and you really can't say that you are a diehard sim nerd if you haven't played it.

Dead-Eye
19th Feb 2011, 07:04
Eternal Silence...

I played that for awhile. But because I had a joystick and everyone else didn't, I would usually rack up 8-12 kills before finally getting shot down, in space combat. I soon realized it was because I had the hardware, and that alone is probably Eternal Silence's biggest flaw, unfortunately.

People are just not going to go out and buy a joystick for one game.

Edit: I would just like to add that, it looks like Adam riding a rocket was a good idea, so long as we get to Fly the rocket. 14 out of 30 fans agree. Sims are playable.

Shralla
19th Feb 2011, 09:55
I don't know. Most of the really great players currently use mouse and keyboard. Kage Musha in particular comes to mind.

imported_D_X
20th Feb 2011, 16:31
Race sim fan here, I've gone from netKar Pro to LFS, and now I'm currently braking my bank with iRacing. The last one is one of the best sims (racing that is) for public use, plus you get to race against real world race car drivers, as they use it to practice on the cheap. I've also gone through an MS Flight Simulator phase when I was seriously considering piloting as a career but soon got bored with it and started crashing big passenger airliners for fun, which in real world is frowned upon.