PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Video Games

Shralla
15th Feb 2011, 18:26
http://www.artofvideogames.org/

Maybe this doesn't belong here, but the Smithsonian American Art Institute is creating an exhibition to display the art of video games, and to determine which video games get displayed, they're having a reasonably comprehensive online vote.

I figured everybody would want to make a beeline for Era 4 and vote for Deus Ex.

The vote itself is kinda weird. If it just displays a black screen, give it a couple minutes. It loaded really slowly for me and it didn't look like it was doing anything, then eventually came up. The genre names are just downright bizarre. I don't really see how Diablo 2 is in the "target genre" along with Crimson Skies and TIE Fighter, nor do I see how Minecraft fits in the "Combat/Strategy genre" or how Portal is in the "Action genre."

However, I appreciate the gesture on the part of the Smithsonian, and I think that everybody should vote, so we get a good representation of the industry and the titles therein. As I said, some things are really weird (Project Number 03 in the Gamecube section but not Killer7?), but I think the vote is definitely worth everybody's time, and I look forward to seeing what ends up in the exhibit.

Oh, if you can't access the vote itself (the site is wicked slow), then here's the direct link for the first era. http://www.artofvideogames.org/era_1.html

7h30n
15th Feb 2011, 18:31
I would vote for Deus Ex, but frankly I'm playing The Longest Journey and boy is that game amazing. Trully artful!

Shralla
15th Feb 2011, 18:56
I don't even know if Longest Journey is on the list, but I do know that it is nowhere near Deus Ex. You can vote for one game for each genre on each platform for each era. Deus Ex is in the Action genre with Unreal and Doom II. I don't think anybody would disagree that as a piece of art, Deus Ex stomps all over both of those games.

MaxxQ1
15th Feb 2011, 18:58
I *may* look at this later after work, but for the moment I have just one question: Is Grim Fandango anywhere in there?

If not, then I probably won't bother.

Ninjerk
15th Feb 2011, 18:58
They're experiencing technical difficulties. :(

Shralla
15th Feb 2011, 19:31
I *may* look at this later after work, but for the moment I have just one question: Is Grim Fandango anywhere in there?

Yes. I voted for it.

They're experiencing technical difficulties. :(

Did you use the link at the bottom of my post? Getting there from the main menu wasn't working for me either.

pha
15th Feb 2011, 19:33
Neither of them work for me.

Shralla
15th Feb 2011, 19:37
Hm. Give it a little while. I might be getting at it quickly because it's still stored in my cache. It is being pretty slow.

Mindmute
15th Feb 2011, 20:54
The menu just sits there and the link at the bottom of your post gave me this:

Eek! Your enthusiasm has overwhelmed us and we’re experiencing technical difficulties! Please have patience while we fix this.

FrankCSIS
16th Feb 2011, 04:35
Ah man, Grim Fandango is up against Baldur's Gate 2 and Fallout.

Three of the best games I've played in one lineup. And 2 of them must lose :(

Grim wins the artistic cake though, and so it is.

Cronstintein
16th Feb 2011, 04:44
Are they talking about art as in the graphics and presentation or the game as a whole? DX really wasn't very pretty but it was an amazing game.

And of those last three mentioned ^ Grim Fandango had some crazy artistic direction (which was cool).

BigBoss
16th Feb 2011, 04:52
I hope shadow of the colossus is on there

dxb
16th Feb 2011, 04:52

Yeah, if it's just for art, Grim Fandango's got the other 2 beat easy. Like WAY easy. The only way Grim Fandango loses is if a bunch of young gamers vote. They'd vote for Fallout just because it's Fallout.

Shralla
16th Feb 2011, 09:03
I hope shadow of the colossus is on there

Yep. It seems like a pretty good list from what I've looked through so far. Only thing I feel like I haven't seen and should have is like I said earlier, Killer7, and also Max Payne.

Senka
16th Feb 2011, 10:38
Video games and art you say?
Reminds me of a micro documentary I made recently >_> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fJpEa39reI)

Ninjerk
16th Feb 2011, 19:18

Many of these votes don't make any sense. Having to choose LoZ vs. Final Fantasy, Star Fox 64 vs. Goldeneye, TIE Fighter vs. DIABLO 2 ARE YOU ******* KIDDING ME???!!!