PDA

View Full Version : I hope both Deus Ex 3 and LA Noir succeed

sackyhack
14th Feb 2011, 21:01
Cuz, if they do, some good developer or publisher, somewhere might see the potential in a new Blade Runner game. Just imagine, LA Noir's slow-paced, character driven, mystery-solving centered gameplay set in a near-future Deus Ex sci fi world. I love the old Blade Runner game, and being a game with static 2D art its graphics have aged surprisingly well, but I'd love a game with updated graphics and mechanics. Oh well, I might just have to settle for trying a no-aug run in DX3 if it's even possible.

Thoughts?

Blade Runner trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_hYs1jBy8Y&feature=related

sonicsidewinder
14th Feb 2011, 21:12
Maybe....just maybe... :)

ZakKa89
14th Feb 2011, 21:21
What about a new IP set in a cyberpunk future?

Geralt z Rivii
14th Feb 2011, 21:22
Gearbox tried it...
http://www.oxm.co.uk/15081/news/gearbox-blade-runner-canned-because-it-wouldnt-sell/

Maybe with a strong publisher...

Btw, I love the classic BR game by Westwood. :)

sackyhack
14th Feb 2011, 21:56
What about a new IP set in a cyberpunk future?

I'm all for that, more cyberpunk is always good. But still Blade Runner is my all-time favorite movie, and I'd love to be able to walk around and explore the world of that movie.

ZakKa89
14th Feb 2011, 22:06
I would as well :) The Westwood Blade Runner game certainly was good

BigBoss
14th Feb 2011, 22:58
Cuz, if they do, some good developer or publisher, somewhere might see the potential in a new Blade Runner game. Just imagine, LA Noir's slow-paced, character driven, mystery-solving centered gameplay set in a near-future Deus Ex sci fi world. I love the old Blade Runner game, and being a game with static 2D art its graphics have aged surprisingly well, but I'd love a game with updated graphics and mechanics. Oh well, I might just have to settle for trying a no-aug run in DX3 if it's even possible.

Thoughts?

Blade Runner trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_hYs1jBy8Y&feature=related

Well, from the looks of it, you can't being as how adam get's his arms hacked up at the start.

sackyhack
14th Feb 2011, 23:47
Well, from the looks of it, you can't being as how adam get's his arms hacked up at the start.

I realize that the character is already modified, but I can pretend he isn't or doesn't want the augs. For example, instead of hacking a door, I'll crawl through a vent to get around. Instead of cloaking and running past guards, I'll try a good old gun fight, etc. It won't be easy, but hopefully the game allows for that kind of play. Obviously I'm going to play through the game and explore all aspects of it including augs and upgrades, but I hope the scenarios are built in a way to also allow a run-through as a "weak ol' human" instead of Robo-Jacques-BelletĂȘte. I don't know much about the story, but from the trailers it seems like Adam isn't too happy with what happened to him, so it would make sense if the devs allowed for a play-style that let him cling to his last shred of humanity, and as a by-product I get to pretend I'm Deckard :D

Donvermicelli
15th Feb 2011, 10:47
Did I read correctly that they planned to spend up to 15 million on marketing?

[FGS]Shadowrunner
15th Feb 2011, 11:05
I realize that the character is already modified, but I can pretend he isn't or doesn't want the augs. For example, instead of hacking a door, I'll crawl through a vent to get around. Instead of cloaking and running past guards, I'll try a good old gun fight, etc. It won't be easy, but hopefully the game allows for that kind of play. Obviously I'm going to play through the game and explore all aspects of it including augs and upgrades, but I hope the scenarios are built in a way to also allow a run-through as a "weak ol' human" instead of Robo-Jacques-BelletĂȘte. I don't know much about the story, but from the trailers it seems like Adam isn't too happy with what happened to him, so it would make sense if the devs allowed for a play-style that let him cling to his last shred of humanity, and as a by-product I get to pretend I'm Deckard :D

You can finish DX1 without adding any more augs. Makes it slightly harder. I'll almost certainly play DXHR a million times and find every possible way to play it.

Did you ever play Dune, man that was such a let down, Reading the best book ever written, then watching an abomination of cinema, then playing an even worse game...

I'm guessing that Mech-aug doesn't go global at the end of DXHR. In DX1, there are comments about Navarre and Gunther being "last of the mechs", and Jordan Shea isn't proud either, she's tetchy on the subject. So perhaps Adam has the choice to destroy an aspect of mech-aug technology, limiting the number of people it's available to.

Kvltism
15th Feb 2011, 12:10
Westwood's take on Blade Runner was brilliant. One of my favourite games ever. Assuming we don't ever get another game set in that world, I'm already satisfied.

VectorM
15th Feb 2011, 12:22
I realize that the character is already modified, but I can pretend he isn't or doesn't want the augs.

On paper, a DXHR no aug run is just as legit as the DX1 no aug run, since in the first game you were also already augmented - where do you think your flashlight comes from? Or the info links?

Srosa
15th Feb 2011, 13:03
I do have HUGE hopes for L.A. Noire, and I know it will be a succesful game in all ways. I mean, lol, Rockstar Games already shown us gameplay footages to judge the game, at least for me to judge it and to buy it.

sackyhack
16th Feb 2011, 00:42
For me my biggest concern with LA Noir is length. It seems to have a very focused narrative and might have the same problem as Heavy Rain where after the mysteries have been solved, there's really no draw to replay it other than to get achievements or trophies which I've never cared about. If it's a 20 or so hour game, then great. But if it only lasts like 5-6 hrs then that'd really suck and I'd probably wait until it's way cheaper before I get it.

BigBoss
16th Feb 2011, 02:23
For me my biggest concern with LA Noir is length. It seems to have a very focused narrative and might have the same problem as Heavy Rain where after the mysteries have been solved, there's really no draw to replay it other than to get achievements or trophies which I've never cared about. If it's a 20 or so hour game, then great. But if it only lasts like 5-6 hrs then that'd really suck and I'd probably wait until it's way cheaper before I get it.

It's been confirmed that there are roughly 50 hours of dialogue recorded for the game that the player will experience in a given play through, or as they equated it to "two television seasons" Don't have a link, but just search the keywords. Shouldn't be hard to find.

Cronstintein
16th Feb 2011, 03:48
I'm pretty sure they said 30 hours for a playthrough, but that's still pretty good by today's standards. Especially when you consider most RPGs boasting huge numbers have tons of walking through empty land included in that.

Reven
19th Feb 2011, 03:22
LA Noir my suffer from the same problems as the sierra mystery games had, as BigBoss said once the puzzle is solved what is my motivation to play again ?. unless the game itself makes up for that deficiency with events i would like to replay or shape differently to see how it changes the story. or like sierra make that mystery so obscure that the objective becomes almost impossible.

singularity
19th Feb 2011, 08:25
LA Noir my suffer from the same problems as the sierra mystery games had, as BigBoss said once the puzzle is solved what is my motivation to play again ?. unless the game itself makes up for that deficiency with events i would like to replay or shape differently to see how it changes the story. or like sierra make that mystery so obscure that the objective becomes almost impossible.

Heavy Rain, in my opinon, both suffered from, and solved this problem. True -- the mystery at it's core is what really kept me going, but once I figgured out that main characters could die, and the narrative could change fairly dramaticly, I was more than willing to give it a few more spins. Although subsequent play-throughs weren't as satisfying as the first, it was still worth it to go through more than once. It gives me some hope for LA Noir. They can solve the mystery in a satisfying way, but still include mechanics that make you want to solve it all over again.