PDA

View Full Version : So is this gonna be like MGS4, except in first person?

ShadowRatchet6
10th Feb 2011, 22:36
I've played MGS4, and it was a really good game. It would be different from Deus Ex in that it doesn't have conversations aspect or hacking aspect to it.

Ashbery76
10th Feb 2011, 22:51
No.

BigBoss
10th Feb 2011, 23:08
The only similarities I found were that it is reminiscent of the general atmosphere, and the fact that you can play through the whole thing without killing anyone

Whompa
10th Feb 2011, 23:21
No.

CoDEllite
10th Feb 2011, 23:32
Yes

AlexOfSpades
10th Feb 2011, 23:36
No.

People really insist in comparing games. Thief 4 forums has some nutcase comparing Thief to Assassins Creed.

Now this?

Jerion
10th Feb 2011, 23:37
I've played MGS4, and it was a really good game. It would be different from Deus Ex in that it doesn't have conversations aspect or hacking aspect to it.

I wouldn't say so.

pha
11th Feb 2011, 00:27
No this is gonna be like the first Deus Ex, except not slow.

But seriously, you're comparing apples and oranges.

David Sarif
11th Feb 2011, 00:30
Deus Ex 3 is going to be like Deus Ex 3, seriously why do games HAVE to be like something else? Take every game for what it is.

ShadowRatchet6
11th Feb 2011, 01:00
Yes, I guess I shouldn't be comparing, but I basically wanted to know how it would play, gameplay-wise. Basically, I was saying there was stealth in both and shooting in both.

sonicsidewinder
11th Feb 2011, 01:03
Bit farfetched.

Only similarity DX had to MGS is nanotechnology. And HR dont use nanotech.

Firepith
11th Feb 2011, 01:51
It will play just like Mario, only in first-person view, and with guns/augs. ;D

ZakKa89
11th Feb 2011, 09:02
It's more like duke nukem because both have shades/sunglasses.

puzl
11th Feb 2011, 10:29
It's a shame a whole generation of gamers today haven't played or even heard of Deus Ex. It's even more weird knowing that Duke Nukem is a MUCH older game, yet I don't know anyone who hasn't heard of him and his 3D exploits. I suppose in the case of DNF, more people know about it simply because of the development fiasco and how it has become somewhat of an industry legend.... for all the wrong reasons I may add.

In fact, MGS brought the original Metal Gear franchise to a whole new generation of gamers and become 1000x more popular as a result. Hopefully the same thing can happen with DX:HR.

To answer your question honestly though OP, this will be a Deus Ex game. It's first-person driven and the emphasis is on social interaction and multiple paths to accomplish your goal. It's a very different game to MGS, even though this new one shares a similar visual aesthetic.

Oh and mods... prepare for an onslaught of these kind of questions in the very near future, especially when it's released. Sucks to be you guys! :p

Knoted
11th Feb 2011, 12:47
It's a shame a whole generation of gamers today haven't played or even heard of Deus Ex.

In fact, MGS brought the original Metal Gear franchise to a whole new generation of gamers and become 1000x more popular as a result. Hopefully the same thing can happen with DX:HR.

Well, if the OP is an oldtime MGS / MG fan he should know Deux Ex too ; Metal Gear on the MSX in 1987 and MGS1 on PSX in 1998...which is 2 years earlier than Deus Ex.

But yeah, since he references MGS4, I guess he got into MGS in the PS3 generation...

Whompa
11th Feb 2011, 15:22
It's like modern warfare 2 because it has guns.

It's like Mario because you can jump.

It's like Zelda because it's an adventure.

It's as much of MGS4 as it is those other games...

Ilves
11th Feb 2011, 17:49
I don't think bringing up MGS4 isn't that far-fetched when it comes to HR's aesthetics. High end visual design, the sleek robo technology, distinct color scheme, Adam's shiny black arms, overall look & feel of the characters... not that far fetched at all.

Gameplay on the other hand, hmmmno.

BigBoss
11th Feb 2011, 19:23
^^ That robot in the first trailer looked like a first gen gekko for hell's sake

Dead-Eye
11th Feb 2011, 23:52
I actually agree with the OP a little bit. A lot of the controversial design decisions seem to mirror things Metal Gear Solid pioneered. I never played Splinter Cell but as I understand the gameplay was essentially a carbon copy of Metal gear, only harder. Splinter Cell eventually spawned off into Rainbow six. And the fighting in this game is based off Rainbow Six. So...

I differently see the MGS influence, even if it is there indirectly. Which is why I believe this game is going to be super big in Japan.

Knoted
11th Feb 2011, 23:58
I never played Splinter Cell but as I understand the gameplay was essentially a carbon copy of Metal gear, only harder. Actually they are worlds apart within the same genre.

Pretentious Old Man.
12th Feb 2011, 00:10
Look:

http://download.cnet.com/Deus-Ex-demo/3000-7539_4-10045335.html

It's really not hard. I know things have changed a little since the original, but please do try to acquaint yourself with the basic tenets of the series. You'll be able to tell with some easy whether the concept suits yours style, or not.

BigBoss
12th Feb 2011, 00:42
Actually they are worlds apart within the same genre.

That's a stretch. The only noticeable differences between them in terms of core gameplay were that mgs focused on the use of camo and hiding behind objects and SC focused on the use of shadows. Sc used a free camera from the start, but mgs started after mgs3 subsistance.

dxb
12th Feb 2011, 00:50
I don't think bringing up MGS4 isn't that far-fetched when it comes to HR's aesthetics. High end visual design, the sleek robo technology, distinct color scheme, Adam's shiny black arms, overall look & feel of the characters... not that far fetched at all.

Gameplay on the other hand, hmmmno.

For that matter, check out the vid where Jensen jumps out the window to keep from getting his face blown up. That scene just looks like an MGS game. So yeah, from an aesthetic standpoint, it looks like the devs really have been inspired at least somewhat by MGS storytelling. But hey, who the hell would complain about that?!

BigBoss
12th Feb 2011, 00:53
But hey, who the hell would complain about that?!
For some reason, some people HATE cutscenes

dxb
12th Feb 2011, 00:58
For some reason, some people HATE cutscenes

lol, but can we really trust a guy named BigBoss to be unbiased on MGS-related topics?

Btw, both games are very cyber-punk, so that explains a lot of the aesthetic similarities.

Shralla
12th Feb 2011, 02:08
That's a stretch.

No it's not. There's really nothing similar about the two games except that they're both pretty much stealth-based, and in Metal Gear Solid, even that is questionable. Level design, objectives, AI, the entire flow of the game is completely different.

dxb
12th Feb 2011, 02:12
No it's not. There's really nothing similar about the two games except that they're both pretty much stealth-based, and in Metal Gear Solid, even that is questionable. Level design, objectives, AI, the entire flow of the game is completely different.

He makes a good point. Except, of course, for all the other ways we've already pointed out that the two games are similar. He hasn't addressed those at all.

So yeah Shralla, good point!

Btw, to say that MGS being stealth-based is questionable...now THAT is a stretch.

dxb
12th Feb 2011, 02:18
Wait Shralla, my bad. You weren't talking about MGS and DX, you were talking about MGS and SC. We haven't actually pointed out any similarities between the two, so I retract my harsh statement.

That said, the two are very similar. Want proof? Consider that Assassin's Creed is often classified as stealth-based gaming. Suddenly, MGS and SC look much more similar.

3rdmillhouse
12th Feb 2011, 02:51

No, GOD NO!!! MGS4 was the worst episode in the series, 26 hours of cutscenes and 14 minutes of gameplay.

BTW: nanomachines

dxb
12th Feb 2011, 02:57
Nah bro, MGS 4 was awesome. I mean, you might not like it much personally, but mgs fans generally agree that it was great. I think a number of sites even gave it a straight 10.

Plus, hating on an MGS game for liberal usage of cutscenes? for shame!

BigBoss
12th Feb 2011, 05:26
lol, but can we really trust a guy named BigBoss to be unbiased on MGS-related topics?

Btw, both games are very cyber-punk, so that explains a lot of the aesthetic similarities.

What are you even talking about

It's questionable that mgs is stealth based? Really? Have you played it? At all? As for your second sentence......I'm thinking that you didn't even read my post in its entirety. Level design is superficial, otherwise no two games are similar. AI acts the same with a "walk around, hear a noise or kind of see something, go investigate, sound alarm" formula. "Flow of the game" is too vague for me to address

dxb
12th Feb 2011, 05:34
What are you even talking about

The thing about your name was a joke. Big Boss is a character from MGS. Figured you knew that.

Both games definitely have a lot of cyber-punk to them. DX:HR should be obvious, but MGS has it too. Nano-engineered viruses, cloning "the perfect soldier", robo-tanks, cyborgs, etc. All very cyber-punk. If you're questioning what cyber-punk is, read a few interviews with JJB, I'm sure you'll get the feel of it.

BigBoss
12th Feb 2011, 08:45
Oh. I was originally talking about Splinter cell and mgs

IdiotInAJeep
12th Feb 2011, 23:09
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/IdiotInAJeep/metal-gear-solid-4-advertisingtitleimage.jpg

BigBoss
13th Feb 2011, 00:46
if only

Dead-Eye
13th Feb 2011, 17:03
Also Adam Jensen has two outfits, one that looks like he's JC Denton and another that makes him look like he's Solid Snake.

Pinky_Powers
13th Feb 2011, 17:14
Also Adam Jensen has two outfits, one that looks like he's JC Denton and another that makes him look like he's Solid Snake.

And one that makes him look like Freddie Mercury.

http://listeningroom.lohudblogs.com/files/2009/12/mercury.jpg

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment_movies_blog/files/2010/09/freddie_mercury.jpg

dxb
13th Feb 2011, 17:57
Oh. I was originally talking about Splinter cell and mgs

Yeah sorry, I should have explained that I was going back to the original topic, not responding to your statements.

BigBoss
13th Feb 2011, 20:08
And one that makes him look like Freddie Mercury.

greatest band ever

IdiotInAJeep
14th Feb 2011, 05:28
What about the mech suit he gets halfway in the game at the bad guy's space fortress?

TyroneLove
15th Feb 2011, 21:00
You have to admit that the look of the game is very reminiscent of Shinkawa's work on MGS4. Especially the mech designs with spheres, articulations, the organic feel and all the slick shiny black stuff. It became very visible in the first Square Enix trailer.
Otherwise in terms of gameplay and flow of the game it probably won't share much with said game.
That said, I think MGS4 is an incredible game but is definitely not for everyone. It has been mostly done with hardcore fans in mind, people who know all the little details from previous games and can appreciate the tons of references and fan service. That's quite a luxury ! Because even without the story parts there still remains a fantastic game.

BigBoss
15th Feb 2011, 22:13
^this

IdiotInAJeep
16th Feb 2011, 05:15
Just got a ps3 and can't wait to complete the series.

dxb
16th Feb 2011, 05:19
You have to admit that the look of the game is very reminiscent of Shinkawa's work on MGS4. Especially the mech designs with spheres, articulations, the organic feel and all the slick shiny black stuff. It became very visible in the first Square Enix trailer.
Otherwise in terms of gameplay and flow of the game it probably won't share much with said game.
That said, I think MGS4 is an incredible game but is definitely not for everyone. It has been mostly done with hardcore fans in mind, people who know all the little details from previous games and can appreciate the tons of references and fan service. That's quite a luxury ! Because even without the story parts there still remains a fantastic game.

Yeah, I think DX:HR will be great, but one thing MGS4 did well was to cater to the fan base, and I don't think DX:HR is doing that quite as well. They're not really doing a bad job of it. But it's not on level with MGS4 as far as that goes, sadly.

Ilves
18th Feb 2011, 17:43
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa375/IdiotInAJeep/metal-gear-solid-4-advertisingtitleimage.jpg

Welp, here we are.

http://www.rustlersonline.com/images/deus.jpg

Ninjerk
18th Feb 2011, 21:25
What a strange contest....

CoDEllite
18th Feb 2011, 21:44
Yeah, I think DX:HR will be great, but one thing MGS4 did well was to cater to the fan base, and I don't think DX:HR is doing that quite as well. They're not really doing a bad job of it. But it's not on level with MGS4 as far as that goes, sadly.

Who care about those few elitist whiners. nothing short of total HD remake of original Deus Ex will satisfy those dudes. But IMHO Human Revolution will create its own loyal fanbase just like Fallout 3 and Bioshock did with their franchises. DX:HR FTW :)

David Sarif
18th Feb 2011, 23:45
Who care about those few elitist whiners. nothing short of total HD remake of original Deus Ex will satisfy those dudes. But IMHO Human Revolution will create its own loyal fanbase just like Fallout 3 and Bioshock did with their franchises. DX:HR FTW :)

Quoted for the truth.
I believe Deus Ex Human Revolution will gain many more new fans than it will lose.

BigBoss
19th Feb 2011, 00:02
^ I actually saw one guy protesting that they should just remake the original with better graphics, but keep the original score and horribly dated, dated, dated voice acting.

dxb
19th Feb 2011, 00:07

I definitely agree...like way super raging all over the place agree...I am going to love this game. BUT...I sometimes wish they'd be as faithful to the original as possible. Cuz the thing is, you don't change big things in a game series unless the games in that series aren't working anymore. You make Tomb Raider darker and more intense because female Indiana Jones just ain't cutting it anymore. But Deus Ex was extremely good, and it hasn't had a proper sequel; thus it's not fair to say that DX needs to change. Maybe staying more faithful to its roots really would make a WAY better game than what we're getting. We'll never know.

But like I said, I think this game will be amazing.

dxb
19th Feb 2011, 00:09
^ I actually saw one guy protesting that they should just remake the original with better graphics, but keep the original score and horribly dated, dated, dated voice acting.

Baha, they ought to include some really horribly voice-acted character in the Heng Sha portion as a sort of reference to the first one.

AlexOfSpades
19th Feb 2011, 00:11

There are indeed insane people in this world

Ashpolt
19th Feb 2011, 00:42

Yeah? Link or it didn't happen.

I definitely agree...like way super raging all over the place agree...I am going to love this game. BUT...I sometimes wish they'd be as faithful to the original as possible. Cuz the thing is, you don't change big things in a game series unless the games in that series aren't working anymore. You make Tomb Raider darker and more intense because female Indiana Jones just ain't cutting it anymore. But Deus Ex was extremely good, and it hasn't had a proper sequel; thus it's not fair to say that DX needs to change. Maybe staying more faithful to its roots really would make a WAY better game than what we're getting. We'll never know.

Thanks for actually having a balanced view. I'm not against change if it's done for the right reason, but the changes being made in DXHR (or at least, the ones people are complaining about) aren't fixing things that were wrong with the original, they're just change for the sake of change.

dxb
19th Feb 2011, 01:59
Thanks for actually having a balanced view. I'm not against change if it's done for the right reason, but the changes being made in DXHR (or at least, the ones people are complaining about) aren't fixing things that were wrong with the original, they're just change for the sake of change.

I agree that they aren't changing things that needed to be changed. The only things the original needs in order to be a worthwhile sequel are better graphics and more advanced AI. Other than those two things, I'd say the game has aged brilliantly. That said, lemme bring some more balance to the equation.

The cover system could turn out to be a really great improvement. The first DX wasn't intended to be an rpg. It was supposed to be a blend. The philosophy behind the game was one that allowed the devs to entertain a RIDICULOUS idea: It is possible to make a game that allows you to choose the 'genre' (play style), and yet makes the other 'single-genre' games look bad. And for some crazy reason it worked; only not for combat. The stealth approach to the game was easily as compelling as the full stealth games of the time (it hurts to say this, because I am madly in love with the MGS series), and the rpg aspects were at least as good as Fallout's have ever been. But the combat? It was useless. I've never even ATTEMPTED a shooter build for DX.

Now I believe some would say that is part of what made DX good; but I disagree. The draw of DX was never that you were vulnerable. The draw was that it gave you options. So, I'd say bring on fundamental changes to the combat. It seems to me that doing so will only give me more options.

My opinion on health regen is a wee bit less optimistic, so I'm not going to write a big exposition on it. Suffice it to say that, while I'm not sure I agree with the inclusion of regen, I'm comforted by the fact that it won't make the actual combat bits any easier. So I'm kinda 'meh' on the whole issue.

dxb
19th Feb 2011, 02:12
Honestly, if I have a real complaint about what I've seen in DX:HR so far, it's how unlike our world it is. EM has built a world that is defined by corporations that don't exist and made up fashion statements. But the original was defined by things like the UN and Triad gangs. Sadly, I fear this may have been EM's only option, because Deus Ex may actually have milked our universe for all it's worth. When you're writing conspiracies involving Illuminati, MJ12, Area 51, etc, you have the opportunity to connect it to our own modern world.

But DX:HR can't use these groups because we'd see them coming from a mile away. So they have to create new conspiracies; which means they have to create a world where those conspiracies fit. And as necessary as it seems to be, I think THAT will mess with immersion far more than an occasional switch to third person. Cuz the thing is, I never felt like I was JC. But I did feel like I could live in the world JC lived in.

::Edit::

Btw, I know the triad gangs are back, but I'm quite confident they will be trivial to the plot.

AJacobson
19th Feb 2011, 02:38
I'm not usually a forum etiquette nazi but you are aware of the edit button yes? That way you don't have to post 2-3 times in a row.

*see*

Knowing is half the battle.

dxb
19th Feb 2011, 02:46
Ok, I deleted one of em, sheesh!
I felt like the other one needed to be it's own post though.
Btw, I like your keyboard pants.

Dead-Eye
19th Feb 2011, 07:11
What a strange contest....

Indeed, It's like saying Win a trip to the ass end of the universe in association with a my anus.

I was all like, Wha!?? Bioshock? Fanbase? and then I realized it was COD Elite.

BigBoss
19th Feb 2011, 08:22
Yeah? Link or it didn't happen.

Yeah sure! Let me just spend 6 hours searching through the threads........

singularity
19th Feb 2011, 08:30
Honestly, if I have a real complaint about what I've seen in DX:HR so far, it's how unlike our world it is. EM has built a world that is defined by corporations that don't exist and made up fashion statements. But the original was defined by things like the UN and Triad gangs. Sadly, I fear this may have been EM's only option, because Deus Ex may actually have milked our universe for all it's worth. When you're writing conspiracies involving Illuminati, MJ12, Area 51, etc, you have the opportunity to connect it to our own modern world.

But DX:HR can't use these groups because we'd see them coming from a mile away. So they have to create new conspiracies; which means they have to create a world where those conspiracies fit. And as necessary as it seems to be, I think THAT will mess with immersion far more than an occasional switch to third person. Cuz the thing is, I never felt like I was JC. But I did feel like I could live in the world JC lived in.

::Edit::

Btw, I know the triad gangs are back, but I'm quite confident they will be trivial to the plot.

Haha - maybe it's just me, but after reading Marcuse and Baudrillard, I feel as if I ALREADY live in DXHR's world. :)

In all honesty, this is actually a pretty valid point, I feel. DX used organizations and conspiracies that were popular at the time... DXHR has us using our imagination a bit more, which isn't quite the same. I'd never really thought of this before...
:scratch:

Ashpolt
19th Feb 2011, 14:32
Yeah sure! Let me just spend 6 hours searching through the threads........

Well according to you and a few other members, we're all elitists on here who want the first game with better graphics and nothing else. Given that we're apparently all posting that all the time, it shouldn't take you long to link to such a post.

Mindmute
19th Feb 2011, 15:21
Well according to you and a few other members, we're all elitists on here who want the first game with better graphics and nothing else. Given that we're apparently all posting that all the time, it shouldn't take you long to link to such a post.

Absolutely.
Try asking CODEllite, BigBoss. Considering how often he throws that one around at everyone, he'll be the right man to point you towards those threads for sure!

No longer directed at BigBoss and just a rant, honestly:
And to think that once upon a time, not too long ago, people put me into the "DX:HR Supporter camp". All it takes nowadays is to say "I think this could be better" to be called an elitist whiner and to hate the game and hope for it to fail in the eyes of some people.
If we can't call people like CODEllite trolls despite their zero contribution to the discussions, I'm still wondering why they can pretenciously throw the "elitist whiner" card around on a daily basis without even a warning from the mods.

Pinky_Powers
19th Feb 2011, 15:33
I found the quote you're looking for BigBoss...

we're all elitists on here who want the first game with better graphics and nothing else.

;)

Wow, it's really easy to get damning quotes when you truncate or take things out of context.

Mindmute
19th Feb 2011, 15:35

;)

Careful Pinky, one of these days you'll join us too ;)

Ashpolt
19th Feb 2011, 15:51
No longer directed at BigBoss and just a rant, honestly:
And to think that once upon a time, not too long ago, people put me into the "DX:HR Supporter camp". All it takes nowadays is to say "I think this could be better" to be called an elitist whiner and to hate the game and hope for it to fail in the eyes of some people.
If we can't call people like CODEllite trolls despite their zero contribution to the discussions, I'm still wondering why they can pretenciously throw the "elitist whiner" card around on a daily basis without even a warning from the mods.

Yeah, I wonder about this too. I'm nowhere near as anti-DXHR as people make me out to be - I even made a post after the last big round of info outright saying that I've crossed from "highly concerned" to "on the fence, leaning towards optimism" about the game as a whole, but because there are still some particular things about the game (and its marketing campaign) that I vocally dislike, I apparently just want the original game with better graphics and nothing else. And this kind of nonsense is getting thrown around literally every day.

Ah dammit Pinky, you've seen through my disguise and disproved everything I said above! I am every bit the villain I am made out to be! Now please excuse me, these damsels aren't going to tie themselves to those railway tracks.

JCpies
19th Feb 2011, 19:37
Has anyone wondered if they should just remake the first Deus Ex game with better graphics, more detailed levels, extra content which was never implemented and some new voice acting. That'd be awesome.

Pretentious Old Man.
19th Feb 2011, 19:41
Dear Mindmute,

I have a monopoly on pretentious behaviour in this forum.

All occurrences of pretentious behaviour not conducted by yours truly should be reported to the moderation staff, so that I can duff the perpetrator/s up.

Many Thanks,
Pretentious Old Man.

EDIT:

these damsels aren't going to tie themselves to those railway tracks.

That would constitute pretentious behaviour. You have been warned.

vallux
19th Feb 2011, 19:43
Denied.

dxb
19th Feb 2011, 20:00
I'm definitely more on the optimistic side. But we wide-eyed optimists need to be able to honestly consider criticism. I think I'd definitely rather have a convo with Mindmute and Ashpolt than David Sarif. That dude is a stinkin' troll MACHINE!

IdiotInAJeep
21st Feb 2011, 09:11
Bump.

mahmoudd
21st Feb 2011, 11:21
No this is gonna be like the first Deus Ex, except not slow.

But seriously, you're comparing apples and oranges.

all my deus ex 1 plays haven't been slow

what do you mean by slow? that it's not for people with ADD?

Has anyone wondered if they should just remake the first Deus Ex game with better graphics, more detailed levels, extra content which was never implemented and some new voice acting. That'd be awesome.

no, i don't think more of the same is good
i'd rather play as gunther or anna in their early days

besides there is a new dx10 rederer for unreal engine 1 games look at this, parallax occlusion mapping in dx 1
http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/full_pom.jpg
hdr lighting
http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/hdr.jpg
without
http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/classic.jpg
(it's not just messing around with contrast)

Jerion
21st Feb 2011, 11:33
I actually modified the HDR shader for that DX10 renderer, toned down the bloom to something slick and subtle, and darkened the HDR adaptive luminance. Still need to fix the fog issue, but w/e.

Looks fine to me. (http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/Zeoman1001/DeusEx2011-02-1816-16-53-31.jpg?t=1298287744)

Now, where's that shiny and smokey prequel? :cool:

Back to the real topic. :)

Pinky_Powers
21st Feb 2011, 14:34
I actually modified the HDR shader for that DX10 renderer, toned down the bloom to something slick and subtle, and darkened the HDR adaptive luminance. Still need to fix the fog issue, but w/e.

Looks fine to me. (http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t191/Zeoman1001/DeusEx2011-02-1816-16-53-31.jpg?t=1298287744)

Now, where's that shiny and smokey prequel? :cool:

Back to the real topic. :)

Looks ace. :thumb:

Knoted
21st Feb 2011, 14:49
I already played & completed MGS4...with that said ; I hope DX HR is going to different from MGS4.

dxb
21st Feb 2011, 15:02
Yeah, mgs4 was amazing. But this isn't an mgs game. Hopefully, it will be a very different kind of amazing.

BigBoss
21st Feb 2011, 16:29

That's interesting how I didn't even name you, yet you took offence to what I said......guilty much?

;)
Wow, it's really easy to get damning quotes when you truncate or take things out of context.

I assume this wasn't a direct insult towards me, because if I DID bother to search the threads, it would be a full quote, not taken out of context. I would hope you would give me more credit than that.

Absolutely.
All it takes nowadays is to say "I think this could be better" to be called an elitist whiner and to hate the game and hope for it to fail in the eyes of some people.

Don't be a hypocrite. You have thrown around equal accusations, which means you either have delicate feelings, or you got warnings for your attitude and 'don't think it's fair' that others don't:hmm:

Ashpolt
21st Feb 2011, 16:33
That's interesting how I didn't even name you, yet you took offence to what I said......guilty much?

Not at all. I would group myself amongst the more "purist" elements of the DX fanbase here (note: not the same thing as wanting a straight remake / update with better graphics and nothing else changed) and so will happily defend that group when anyone starts throwing around flat-out falsehoods.

I notice that you still haven't come up with a quote btw.

Mindmute
21st Feb 2011, 17:01
Don't be a hypocrite. You have thrown around equal accusations, which means you either have delicate feelings, or you got warnings for your attitude and 'don't think it's fair' that others don't:hmm:

Equal accusations? :rolleyes: When have I accused people of anything? Much less on a daily basis?

Do you even have an arguement towards my "equal accusations" other than when I called a troll months ago because you were labeling other people's points as wrong before even reading them?
And FYI, I never got a warning about anything related to my conduct on this forum, so I'm going to have to assume that not many people besides you are so offended by my apparent "attitude".

You seem to have some chip on your shoulder against me because of that whole business with Pinky a while back and have since been trying to brand me as some troll. Would you like to take this to PM and have a chat about it as adults rather than having you keep this unnecessary vitriol until the game is released? (and why do I have the feeling you'll completely ignore this post or at least this part of it?)

Pinky_Powers
21st Feb 2011, 17:17
I assume this wasn't a direct insult towards me, because if I DID bother to search the threads, it would be a full quote, not taken out of context. I would hope you would give me more credit than that.

First of all, in no way did I insult you. You can take insult from anything, but that doesn't make it a directed attack. Also, I would never give you more credit than you deserve, and from your earliest days you showed us in bold strides exactly how much respect you deserved. It would be wrong of me to neglect your efforts.

mbrown3
21st Feb 2011, 18:36
Some of you are nuts. MGS4 is the best game I've ever played. Who cares if it has a lot of cutscenes? That's such a lame reason to dislike a game...especially since you can skip them if you want to. Even without the cutscenes, it's still a far longer game than most of the ridiculously short COD games, for example. And it's much better. (And, FWIW, I never played any of the prior MGS games...still haven't.)

One of the other things I like about MGS4 is that you can take numerous approaches to your objectives. You can go in stealth if you want, but (unlike many of the prior games in the series), you can also go in with guns blazing, blowing crap up, etc. In that sense, it sounds like DEHR will be similar...not to mention the nanotech stuff, variety of weapons, robots, and all that. The one way I don't think the games will be similar is in their aesthetic (contrary to what some of you think). MGS4 had a gritty, ultra-realistic look to it, whereas DEHR looks to me like it has a super polished, futuristic glossy kind of look to it. I haven't checked out a lot of videos/screenshots of DEHR yet, because I don't want to spoil anything for myself, but the little I have seen doesn't remind me anything of MGS4.

IMO, though, any likeness DEHR might have to MGS4 would only be a very, very, very good thing.

dxb
21st Feb 2011, 19:26
One of the other things I like about MGS4 is that you can take numerous approaches to your objectives. You can go in stealth if you want, but (unlike many of the prior games in the series), you can also go in with guns blazing, blowing crap up, etc. In that sense, it sounds like DEHR will be similar...not to mention the nanotech stuff, variety of weapons, robots, and all that. The one way I don't think the games will be similar is in their aesthetic (contrary to what some of you think). MGS4 had a gritty, ultra-realistic look to it, whereas DEHR looks to me like it has a super polished, futuristic glossy kind of look to it. I haven't checked out a lot of videos/screenshots of DEHR yet, because I don't want to spoil anything for myself, but the little I have seen doesn't remind me anything of MGS4.

IMO, though, any likeness DEHR might have to MGS4 would only be a very, very, very good thing.

MGS4 is a brilliant game. One of the best games out there (though I believe the original MGS is superior).
That said, Deus Ex is also a brilliant game. One of the best games out there. For that reason, Deus Ex shouldn't imitate MGS4 (and I don't believe it does), since it could go at least as far by standing on its own merits. I could be wrong here, but I'm guessing you haven't played much Deus ex; if you had, I imagine you wouldn't compare the very limited freedom given in MGS4 to Deus Ex's staggering amount of freedom. In this respect, the two are completely dissimilar.

Furthermore, the aesthetics of the two games are ridiculously similar. You mentioned that the two have robots, nanotech stuff, lots of weapons. All of these features play a major role aesthetically in both games, even being presented in very similar fashions (Put Raiden next to Fedorova; they could definitely be in the same game). Additionally, DX:HR definitely has a very gritty feel to it. Watch the Director's Cut of the E3 trailer, and tell me that's not gritty.

Ultimately, I'm happy with this equation. I don't mind DX:HR mimicking MGS4 a bit aesthetically, because the two franchises were already aesthetically similar. But the gameplay absolutely should not mimic MGS4. Deus Ex already has some of the best gameplay of all time. And while I understand that MGS4 can boast a similar claim, you don't make a sequel to an amazing game, but replace the most amazing parts of that game with stuff from another game. That's just sloppy.

BigBoss
21st Feb 2011, 21:47
Not at all. I would group myself amongst the more "purist" elements of the DX fanbase here (note: not the same thing as wanting a straight remake / update with better graphics and nothing else changed) and so will happily defend that group when anyone starts throwing around flat-out falsehoods.

I notice that you still haven't come up with a quote btw.

Nor will I. I'm not going to waste an hour of my time digging just to prove a point to of all people YOU. Even if I did pull the quote, you'll argue the context of the whole argument or some bull**** like that, and I really don't care if you of all people believe me or not.

Equal accusations? :rolleyes: When have I accused people of anything? Much less on a daily basis?

Do you even have an arguement towards my "equal accusations" other than when I called a troll months ago because you were labeling other people's points as wrong before even reading them?
And FYI, I never got a warning about anything related to my conduct on this forum, so I'm going to have to assume that not many people besides you are so offended by my apparent "attitude".

You seem to have some chip on your shoulder against me because of that whole business with Pinky a while back and have since been trying to brand me as some troll. Would you like to take this to PM and have a chat about it as adults rather than having you keep this unnecessary vitriol until the game is released? (and why do I have the feeling you'll completely ignore this post or at least this part of it?)

Actually I read all of it, including that little extra venting you threw in there when you thought your post didn't have enough sting to it/thought of more insults/whatever. Other than that one 'skirmish' I have held nothing against you, on any of your other beliefs or tried to label you as a troll. (I'm going to use Ashpolt's logic here, show the posts or it didn't happen) If you insist on taking this "conversation" to pm be my guest. I'll respond.

First of all, in no way did I insult you. You can take insult from anything, but that doesn't make it a directed attack. Also, I would never give you more credit than you deserve, and from your earliest days you showed us in bold strides exactly how much respect you deserved. It would be wrong of me to neglect your efforts.

Fair enough, but in that case I do wish you would respond to my last post on the snow day thread I started that within 5 posts had nothing to do with snow days.

Pinky_Powers
21st Feb 2011, 22:38
Fair enough, but in that case I do wish you would respond to my last post on the snow day thread I started that within 5 posts had nothing to do with snow days.

Are you kidding me? Your whole post (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1562920&postcount=36) could be boiled down to "He's done some things that aren't vile... and here's something that's actually decent".

I understand you want me to reply point-by-point, but why would I? The points you were making had nothing to do with the points I made. Name any tyrant in history and you can put together a list of seemingly good works. Even your Health Care argument was a misdirection, for you know as well as I that the issue folk take with it is not that it's wholly wrong... it's not. It's the violent forcefulness of the bill that bothers us.

BigBoss
22nd Feb 2011, 00:03
I don't want you to respond point by point, I just want to know you actually read the whole thing. You say "even my healthcare argument was a misdirection"....may I ask what others are as well? And in what way is the bill forceful? And first you say "his Health Care bill is criminally raunchy, and one of the ugliest hits to this country since the great depression." Yet now you say it is not wholly wrong. I also asked you to state a few civil liberties he has stripped away, or others he is building on "at an accelerated pace" compared to Bush? I did compare points to yours directly by giving examples of liberties and rights he has given to specific minorities and groups of people(you did read it, right?) You can switch to pm if you prefer.

Pinky_Powers
22nd Feb 2011, 05:25
Well, now would be a good time to remind you, I do exaggerate an awful lot... especially when it comes to matters of politics.

As for my issues with Obamacare...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=obamacare

His unprecedented war on whistleblowers...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=obama+whistleblowers

He loves the Patriot Act...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=obama+patriot+act

He want's to wiretap the internet...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=obama+wiretap+internet

And seeing how much he loves warrantless wiretapping, that doesn't go well for any of us...
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=obama+warrantless+wiretaps

The American Civil Liberties Union is disgusted (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=obama+aclu+disgusted) with this President's policies, and so am I.

Ilves
22nd Feb 2011, 08:47
And what was that about closing down Guantanamo Bay? Well, gee (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/17/politics/main20032913.shtml). :rolleyes:

Dead-Eye
22nd Feb 2011, 09:20
Well, now would be a good time to remind you, I do exaggerate an awful lot... especially when it comes to matters of politics.

And seeing how much he loves warrantless wiretapping, that doesn't go well for any of us...

The American Civil Liberties Union is disgusted (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=obama+aclu+disgusted) with this President's policies, and so am I.

Thank you Pinky, for pointing out that the Illuminati is so obviously real.

Shralla
22nd Feb 2011, 18:07
Man, politicians are all basically the same, who knew?

http://www.politicalcompass.org/images/usprimaries_2008.png

Still better than Bush, still better than McCain.

Pretentious Old Man.
22nd Feb 2011, 18:11
American politics are just varying degrees of the right wing. Hearing Obama described as a "socialist", when, from a European perspective, he is just the same as any other centre-right politician, is downright hilarious.

MaxxQ1
22nd Feb 2011, 18:56
American politics are just varying degrees of the right wing. Hearing Obama described as a "socialist", when, from a European perspective, he is just the same as any other centre-right politician, is downright hilarious.

Yeah, but to most 'murcans (idiots, all of them, until proven otherwise), all the Yurpean leaders/politicians (as well as those in Canuckistan) *are* socialist.

BigBoss
22nd Feb 2011, 18:58

Thanks for all the google searches. You got your point across quite clear:rolleyes:

Edit: In the future, if you want your ideas to be taken seriously, I would suggest you post just a few links to credible sources or facts, and not to open google searches that specify nothing, and mainly pull up biased conspiracy theory bs websites.

Pinky_Powers
22nd Feb 2011, 19:11
Thanks for all the google searches. You got your point across quite clear:rolleyes:

Edit: In the future, if you want your ideas to be taken seriously, I would suggest you post just a few links to credible sources or facts, and not to open google searches that specify nothing, and mainly pull up biased conspiracy theory bs websites.

Not at all. The Google searches (if you bother to look) bring up a wide variety of sites, and few of them can be considered fringe conspiracy nonsense.

Also, asking for "credible sources" that are "unbiased" is a trap and you know it.

Those search results lead to a very wide pool of journalists, and they're reporting on the issues I find pertinent. There is no better way of giving you an unbiased overview of my concerns.

BigBoss
23rd Feb 2011, 00:10
Not at all. The Google searches (if you bother to look) bring up a wide variety of sites, and few of them can be considered fringe conspiracy nonsense.

Also, asking for "credible sources" that are "unbiased" is a trap and you know it.

Those search results lead to a very wide pool of journalists, and they're reporting on the issues I find pertinent. There is no better way of giving you an unbiased overview of my concerns.

I'm sure that argument got you far in school

Pinky_Powers
23rd Feb 2011, 01:12
I'm sure that argument got you far in school

You asked a question and I gave you a more thorough answer than you knew what to do with. Faced with a hundred sources all explaining my point, you're unable to discredit even a tenth of them. Now you've reduced your tactics to petty snipes and general b**chiness. You're not worth my time or my effort.

This is precisely why I don't usually engage in political talk. It's never worth it. So shall we just stop now?

BigBoss
23rd Feb 2011, 01:52
You asked a question and I gave you a more thorough answer than you knew what to do with.

Yep, you got me. I've never been in a debate before so when your response was essentially "Google it!" my mind was blown from the shear brilliance of it.

So shall we just stop now?

Yeah sure, but in the future it is VERY condescending and even more ignorant, to tell a person that they aren't worth your time when they provide factual counterpoints.

dxb
23rd Feb 2011, 02:07
Sooooooo...
Who thinks this game will be like MGS4, except in first person?

Pinky_Powers
23rd Feb 2011, 03:36
Yeah sure, but in the future it is VERY condescending and even more ignorant, to tell a person that they aren't worth your time when they provide factual counterpoints.

"Condescending". Oh good, I was worried I was being too subtle for you.

However, there's nothing ignorant about not wanting to waste my time with someone who can't follow a debate past his own posts.

You claimed Obama is an advocate for civil liberties.
I showed you hundreds of sources, representing every type of journalist you can imagine, reporting on actions of Obama's that violate everyone's civil liberties.
Your response: "Google only lists biased conspiracy sites".

And thus, my condescension is perfectly justified.

I understand how it's easier to cry about how unfair the truth is, but when you're so prideful of your idiocy it makes me grimace.

dxb
23rd Feb 2011, 04:25
I don't really think it's like MGS4. Pinky, BigBoss, what do you guys think?

Pinky_Powers
23rd Feb 2011, 05:25

I only ever tried MGS1. It was about a year and a half ago. The locked camera and inability to move the way I could in Splinter Cell caused me to ragequit before I even escaped the first room.

I think I'd probably like MGS4, though. The gameplay is up to where I feel a proper stealth game needs to be... or maybe I should just replay the Splinter Cell series again.

dxb
23rd Feb 2011, 05:38
I can tell you, with absolute conviction, that the MGS series is better than the splinter cell series. It seriously has one of the most powerful (and convoluted) plots you'll find, in any medium. It's heavy-handed and cliched, but it's really great. I'd say Splinter Cell has better gameplay, technically. But MGS just has soul!

EDIT:

Also, in defense of MGS1, it came out way before Splinter Cell. So Splinter Cell took a lot of what it did in terms of gameplay, and improved on it.

BigBoss
23rd Feb 2011, 15:31

Well, uh my name is BigBoss, so that should tell you something as to how I feel about the mgs series. As for the comparison, I feel like the atmosphere is reminiscent, which is what drew me to the game in the first place, but unless you have the option to change perspectives at will(fingers still crossed) I don't think they are copying it. dxhr looks very original.

"Condescending". Oh good, I was worried I was being too subtle for you.

However, there's nothing ignorant about not wanting to waste my time with someone who can't follow a debate past his own posts.

You claimed Obama is an advocate for civil liberties.
I showed you hundreds of sources, representing every type of journalist you can imagine, reporting on actions of Obama's that violate everyone's civil liberties.
Your response: "Google only lists biased conspiracy sites".

And thus, my condescension is perfectly justified.

I understand how it's easier to cry about how unfair the truth is, but when you're so prideful of your idiocy it makes me grimace.

Right. So here's my trump card;
Obama is an advocate for civil liberties....Google it!
Wow......it feels nice to say I just blasted you with hundreds of sources.

dxb
23rd Feb 2011, 15:42
Would you guys just shut up?! Do we need to add Obama to the Copy/Paste thread?

Obviously, people are going to have different opinions on our president. Obviously, we aren't going to be able to change each other's minds. Me, I can't stand the guy. But I don't necessarily expect anyone on here to agree with my opinions or my reasoning, because there is nothing about enjoying Deus Ex that makes anyone hold any particular viewpoint on politics. We're different people, we have different values, and we see different individuals as honoring those values.

I was enjoying this thread until it turned into an episode of The View.

Pretentious Old Man.
23rd Feb 2011, 15:48
Obviously, people are going to have different opinions on our president.

Take that annoyance about this discussion, and then multiply by about eight-million for those of us whose president he is not. That more or less sums up my stance on the subject.

BigBoss
23rd Feb 2011, 18:13
I was enjoying this thread until it turned into an episode of The View.

lol