PDA

View Full Version : Pre-order weapons?

wheresmyskulgun
8th Feb 2011, 09:30
I don't know if anyone can answer this, but I'm concerned about the balance of the pre-order weapons, not just in terms of power but in terms of immersion as well. Does anyone know if they will be integrated into the game- for example, you must find them inside a side mission- or whether you'll just magically receive them when you start a new game? If it's the latter, that would be incredibly immersion- breaking, not to mention removing a lot of the early game challenge. The former, however, could actually be legitimately cool- making the game bigger and giving you more options, which is actually WORTH paying extra for.

Anyways, thanks to anyone who has an answer.

Jerion
8th Feb 2011, 09:40
I don't know if anyone can answer this, but I'm concerned about the balance of the pre-order weapons, not just in terms of power but in terms of immersion as well. Does anyone know if they will be integrated into the game- for example, you must find them inside a side mission- or whether you'll just magically receive them when you start a new game? If it's the latter, that would be incredibly immersion- breaking, not to mention removing a lot of the early game challenge. The former, however, could actually be legitimately cool- making the game bigger and giving you more options, which is actually WORTH paying extra for.

Anyways, thanks to anyone who has an answer.

Nobody outside Coyotegrey can answer this here. I would be interested to find out this answer though.

wheresmyskulgun
8th Feb 2011, 10:37
Good to know. Hopefully there will be some clarity on this before it's too late to pre-order; I'd definitely do it if I had some reassurance that it wouldn't break the early game the way the pre-order DLC for recent Bioware titles did.

Aegrim
8th Feb 2011, 12:00
How can getting weapons at the beginning of a mission be immersion breaking?

Mindmute
8th Feb 2011, 12:04
How can getting weapons at the beginning of a mission be immersion breaking?

Because apparently the first mission starts as just a casual tour around the labs.

It's not actually a spoiler, since it's on the latest trailer, but I thought I should anyway.
Either way, having guns show up on your inventory with no recollection or mention of them being handed to you or found is immersion breaking in my book.

Aegrim
8th Feb 2011, 12:23
Because apparently the first mission starts as just a casual tour around the labs.

It's not actually a spoiler, since it's on the latest trailer, but I thought I should anyway.
Either way, having guns show up on your inventory with no recollection or mention of them being handed to you or found is immersion breaking in my book.

I was presuming you'd get them with your proper kit, and not the part where the base is under attack and you get your limbs ripped off.

Mindmute
8th Feb 2011, 12:27
Well, then that's basically what the OP was asking about:

Does anyone know if they will be integrated into the game- for example, you must find them inside a side mission- or whether you'll just magically receive them when you start a new game? If it's the latter, that would be incredibly immersion- breaking

What he reffered to as immersion breaking was randomly recieving them when you start the game (like some games do with their pre-order/promotional), instead of through some in-story means.

Aegrim
8th Feb 2011, 12:36
Well, then that's basically what the OP was asking about:

What he reffered to as immersion breaking was randomly recieving them when you start the game (like some games do with their pre-order/promotional), instead of through some in-story means.

Well, there's no sense them giving you them at the very beginning since you'll lose all that equipment in 10 minutes anyway.

So they're down to either, giving you them when you start the next phase of the game, which will be when you get everything else.
Either when they're instantly placed in your inventory, or when you get them from the equipment stores (the place you store equipment, not shops).
In FalloutNV the character at the beginning specifically mentions your special equipment, probably be the same as that.

Personally i'm not preordering, it's much quicker for me to get up and go down the shops than wait for it to arrive (maybe) on the day of release. Also aren't all the weapons pretty much just modded out weapons you'll get in the game anyway? You just won't be able to mod them yourself.

Mindmute
8th Feb 2011, 12:42
Also aren't all the weapons pretty much just modded out weapons you'll get in the game anyway? You just won't be able to mod them yourself.

As far as we know, yes. They're not more powerful than regular weapons, they just have a fixed set of upgrades already applied to them and are completely unmoddable.

Kodaemon
8th Feb 2011, 13:11
how do I modded remote explosives?

VectorM
8th Feb 2011, 13:14
Does that mean we can mod normal mines to be remote controlled?

Edit: ******* ninja Kodaemon!

Blackbird SR-71C
8th Feb 2011, 14:09
Does that mean we can mod normal mines to be remote controlled?

Edit: ******* ninja Kodaemon!

Considering you have to mod them to explode when in proximity to an enemy/stick to a wall (forgot which), it sounds possible.

VectorM
8th Feb 2011, 16:10
What, you have to mod them first before you can stick them on walls? Where the hell did you read that? That means I have to mod every individual grenade, wtf.

Blackbird SR-71C
8th Feb 2011, 16:33
What, you have to mod them first before you can stick them on walls? Where the hell did you read that? That means I have to mod every individual grenade, wtf.

I don't remember. Either in a magazine or an online article. But I'm 100% sure that it stated that grenades have to be modded in order to do something with them, I'm pretty sure it's so you can make them proximity-detonated AND stick them to walls - otherwise it wouldn't make sense anyway.

Vasarto
8th Feb 2011, 21:28
I personally think getting those weapons is a good thing. 1. You don't HAVE to use them. Just throw them away when you magically get them.

2.You spent an Extra $10.00 to get them. Be happy!

wheresmyskulgun
8th Feb 2011, 23:27
Also aren't all the weapons pretty much just modded out weapons you'll get in the game anyway?

That's actually new information for me. I get how the sniper rifle and shotgun are basically variants of stuff already in the game, but aren't the grenade launcher and remote detonated explosives pretty unique?

Anyways, I basically just want the additional mission (not that there's any good reason not to put it in the original game, but whatever). I just know that if I happen to have a super unbalanced gun of awesome magically appear in my inventory, I'm not going to be disciplined enough to not use it... at least on the first play through.

BigBoss
9th Feb 2011, 01:50
Total immersion breaker. What kind of ex cop, head of security would actually be armed? Totally fake.

David Sarif
9th Feb 2011, 01:56
Lets not forget it is a game after all, I think it is totally immersion breaking that i cannot control MY character Adam Jensen when he is on the bog and it is immersion breaking that i cannot control his hand when wiping his behind after a number 2. Also it is immersion breaking that i cannot control whether Adam Jensen has 2 bites of his snack then swallows or if he has 3 bites.:rolleyes:

BigBoss
9th Feb 2011, 02:26
agreed, I also have the issue of immersion if I cant control precisely how hard he is squeezing his ass cheeks when taking the, as previously mentioned, ****.

Edit: number 2, not finger waving while frowning. Although I expect that animation to be in the game. Otherwise, immersion broken.

BigBoss
9th Feb 2011, 06:38
I've been around here a lot longer than you have, bud. Do you REALLY think I would just troll a forum for half a year, until a new user appeared who I agree with on one topic? If anything, I'm betting you are because all you've done is try to call out others as trolls with your meager 10 posts.

Dresden
9th Feb 2011, 09:33
Lets not forget that in DX1 you could start with a GEP gun and/or Sniper Rifle. Of course, ammo for them was very sparse so it balanced out. I'm hoping the same is true here.

VectorM
9th Feb 2011, 10:58
So I'm guessing these guys are just trolls?

So i guess you don't know what irony means, huh?

Lets not forget that in DX1 you could start with a GEP gun and/or Sniper Rifle.

Well you don't start with them right away, they are given to you by your brother.

AxiomaticBadger
9th Feb 2011, 12:48
"Hey Jenson, ready for the touuwwhat the hell is that?"
"It's my shotgun. I thought it'd be a good way to show my willingness and enthusiasm if I showed up armed."
"Well, I guess I can understa..."
"I also have this grenade launcher"
"What the fu..."
"For close encounters."
"... Adam, what is it you think we do here?"
"Biotech research. Wink."
"..."
"..."
"Adam, my niece has been kidnapped. Find her."
"I'll never stop looking!"
"Hey uncle... Hey, why is adam leaving in such a hurry?"

Dresden
9th Feb 2011, 13:55
Yes I was mainly talking about the balance issue though.

wheresmyskulgun
10th Feb 2011, 02:50

I mean, considering that all they have to contribute is snide comments about how stupid looking for immersion in a video game is, I don't know what else to describe them as.

Vasarto
12th Feb 2011, 04:00

Well you don't start with them right away, they are given to you by your brother.

Yeah, But they are given to you before the game even really begins.
So its basically the same thing.