PDA

View Full Version : Are the feet visible?

masume21
5th Feb 2011, 21:58
Hey, I don't know if this has been asked yet (although a quick forum search says no), but in DE:HR will you be able to look down and see your feet? I've always felt in all games you need to see your feet and I feel uber disapointed when I look down and see nothing but the ground and a circular shadow. So, does anybody know or have speculations?

Shralla
5th Feb 2011, 22:19
I was just talking to my friends about this the other day. I too would like to know the answer to this question.

Rindill the Red
5th Feb 2011, 22:38
http://i56.tinypic.com/5klqw6.jpg

jtr7
5th Feb 2011, 22:39
It's always disappointing to look down and see one foot standing on air, and the other hanging mostly over the edge, or when the legs and feet are blocking the view below and there's no leaning.

Gaunt88
5th Feb 2011, 22:52
It's always disappointing to look down and see one foot standing on air, and the other hanging mostly over the edge, or when the legs and feet are blocking the view below and there's no leaning.

There are ways to fix that, though. I remember reading something about how a game (I think it was Halo Reach) could detect the angle of the ground that the character was walking on and adjust the model's feet accordingly. The effect was much more realistic.

Anyway, I agree, it's much more immersive to be able to see your character's legs, even if you don't actually spend hours staring at them =P Just catching a glimps as you pick up an item is enough.

Red
6th Feb 2011, 00:15
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/9691/wherearemylegsillnevers.jpg

Gaunt88
6th Feb 2011, 00:25
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/9691/wherearemylegsillnevers.jpg

:lol: That make me chuckle. That's gold!

("Gold filter" jibe in 3...2...1...)

3rdmillhouse
6th Feb 2011, 02:20

I agree, I've had enough of being a pair of floating arms with guns, after HL2.

Senka
6th Feb 2011, 02:59
Dark Messiah did this right. Should be able to see your whole body really, so chest down. Not nose though, that'd be distracting and silly :P

JCpies
6th Feb 2011, 10:14
Mirror's Edge was most immersive with its body-ness.

7h30n
6th Feb 2011, 10:32
Another game, although I don't like it that much but it had some most immersive stuff I've ever seen - Crysis. You can see your feet and they move accordingly if you run. Then, there's picking up stuff which doesn't magically appear in your inventory but you can see the hand reaching for it.

But, on topic - I doubt it DX has it. They didn't focus much on immersing the player into being the person you play.

masume21
6th Feb 2011, 15:51
hmm, well if they don't have it at the very least they shouldn't allow you to look perfectly down (so that we can see a little behind us). I'm looking at you, source engine games.

IOOI
6th Feb 2011, 16:48
@ Op

I don't think so.

To me it doesn't make a big difference if I can see or not the lower body.
What it matters is the range of movements/actions I'm able to perform and how well implemented they are - in order to work well in both First-Person and Third-Person. Giving an *option* to switch between First and Third-Person, whenever the player pleases, would also be important.

3rdmillhouse
6th Feb 2011, 16:59
GRAW 1 e 2 for PC also did a good job at this, you could look down and see your chest rig, legs.. also FEAR 2 and Escape from Butcher Bay did it as well.

MrFoxter
6th Feb 2011, 21:49
hmm, well if they don't have it at the very least they shouldn't allow you to look perfectly down (so that we can see a little behind us). I'm looking at you, source engine games.

This is imho stupid. Looking perfectly down has more uses, e.g. I can say how close to the edge I am, I can shoot people below or just simply see what's below me. This movement restriction breaks immersion even more than some invisible legs.

masume21
6th Feb 2011, 23:53
This is imho stupid. Looking perfectly down has more uses, e.g. I can say how close to the edge I am, I can shoot people below or just simply see what's below me. This movement restriction breaks immersion even more than some invisible legs.

Good point, didn't think of that.

Knoted
6th Feb 2011, 23:57
it would be nice to see whether you're not shooting your own feet :o ....

jtr7
7th Feb 2011, 00:12
Looking around should account for natural spine movement, and most importantly, the ability to rotate the eyes in their sockets to look in directions the skeleton doesn't allow. Since the camera is not really eyes in sockets rotating in the skull, it needs to fake it. With eyes and skeleton, one can naturally look around themselves in full 360 degrees in any direction, with the body blocking the view down and to the sides. And this is the only thing the devs would have real difficulty implementing: Moving the body out of the way to stop blocking the view. It's much too difficult and there's no good way to tell a foot to move backward to see down clearly, or twist the spine to keep the shoulder out of the way, or bend the knees and hips to move the torso out of the view, etc., but I hope to see a game in my lifetime with body-awareness that isn't also view-blocking in it's unnatural rigidity. Having to switch to 3P, or turn off body-awareness, just to see the AIs below and/or behind me while on a ladder, or having the body or unnatural rigidity blocking what would be a clear shot, are things I hope will be compensated for.

Piflik
7th Feb 2011, 00:13
Looking around should account for natural spine movement, and most importantly, the ability to rotate the eyes in their sockets to look in directions the skeleton doesn't allow. Since the camera is not really eyes in sockets rotating in the skull, it needs to fake it. With eyes and skeleton, one can naturally look around themselves in full 360 degrees in any direction, with the body blocking the view down and to the sides. And this is the only thing the devs would have real difficulty implementing: Moving the body out of the way to stop blocking the view. It's much too difficult and there's no good way to tell a foot to move backward to see down clearly, or twist the spine to keep the shoulder out of the way, or bend the knees and hips to move the torso out of the view, etc., but I hope to see a game in my lifetime with body-awareness that isn't also view-blocking in it's unnatural rigidity. Having to switch to 3P, or turn off body-awareness, just to see the AIs below and/or behind me while on a ladder, or having the body or unnatural rigidity blocking what would be a clear shot, are things I hope will be compensated for.

You don't really need all that fancy stuff...all I want is to see the body when I look down. If it is blocking my view, I'll have to move out of the way and lift my view a bit...in real life I also can't see hat's under my foot or behind my leg, when I look down...sure, I could move my foot sideways or lift it, but in a game you wouldn't really need that...just take a step back....and I doubt that you will ever come into the situation (game, RL or otherwise) where you have to take a shot straight downwards whey you are on a ladder and even then you would have to shoot through your leg in RL...also you wouldn't want the crosshair not in the center of the view, so head/eye-movement independent of arms/gun is out of the picture...so you really just need Legs and the upper body...shoulders aren't in the FoV anyway, so you wouldn't need fancy IKs are similar stuff that engines don't use...rotate the arms and gun with the view, just like it is in all FPSs, and when you look down, you see your legs...it is quite trivial to implement that...