PDA

View Full Version : Are you testing Human Revolution with Wine?

Araneidae
3rd Feb 2011, 17:00
Please, I beg you, spend some time testing Human Revolution with Wine (http://www.winehq.org), and if at all possible either make it work or at least please report (http://appdb.winehq.org/) bugs (http://bugs.winehq.org/). For what it's worth, the original Deus Ex (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3775) plays perfectly, but Deus Ex 2 (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3783) is a complete mess.

subtlesnake
3rd Feb 2011, 17:42
For some reason I thought this thread would be about the relative merits of alcohol consumption while playing Deus Ex.

NKD
3rd Feb 2011, 17:59
http://images.winecommune.com/lotImage/675643425.jpg

Rindill the Red
3rd Feb 2011, 18:52
For some reason I thought this thread would be about the relative merits of alcohol consumption while playing Deus Ex.

I say we immediately hijack the thread for this purpose.

I'll start.

I don't drink alcohol.

AlexOfSpades
3rd Feb 2011, 19:41
Rather beer.

But usually i dont drink while playing... reduces performance.

II J0SePh X II
3rd Feb 2011, 19:55
7 years a reformed alcoholic. And my favourite wine used to be Chateauneuf du pape too. Nice find!

luminar
3rd Feb 2011, 20:01
7 years a reformed alcoholic. And my favourite wine used to be Chateauneuf du pape too. Nice find!

Good for you! 7 years is impressive!

Araneidae
3rd Feb 2011, 20:03
Did I post in the right forum?
:hmm:

I like wine with my meals.

Araneidae
3rd Feb 2011, 20:04
http://images.winecommune.com/lotImage/675643425.jpg

Nice ;)

thedosbox
3rd Feb 2011, 20:32
I'd rather they focus on ensuring it runs well under Windows rather than a half-arsed emulation.

Araneidae
3rd Feb 2011, 20:51
I'd rather they focus on ensuring it runs well under Windows rather than a half-arsed emulation.

Some of us, for reasons it's not worth discussing here, will never run Windows again. Whether games work well under Wine depends entirely on how they interface with the graphics engine. The Source Engine games work well, and anything using OpenGL is just fine.

My experience is that many recent games work well, and Wine can be the only way to play a number of particularly old games.

Pinky_Powers
3rd Feb 2011, 21:14
I'm really thirsty for some wine now.

TrickyVein
3rd Feb 2011, 21:31
I'm surprised this hasn't been asked yet:

does one drink red or white wine with DX:HR?

I'm leaning towards red, but I don't much care for white wine anyway regardless of culinary circumstance.

Irate_Iguana
3rd Feb 2011, 21:36

I'm leaning towards red, but I don't much care for white wine anyway regardless of culinary circumstance.

A dry white wine.

K^2
3rd Feb 2011, 21:40
I think, I'll drink beer with HR. It should go nicely enough, and if I'll want to forget the experience, I'll just have to polish it off with some vodka.

TrickyVein
3rd Feb 2011, 21:44
From wine-tastings-guide.com:

While light, fruity wines may be great simply as an apéritif or as an accompaniment to light seafood dishes and shellfish, richer dry whites may pair beautifully with richer fish, poultry and cheeses.

This implies that DX:HR is at least white-meat.

I would have thought it tasted like a rich brisket/beef, which requires a darker companion.

Unless you think it more fitting that DX:HR be considered a cheese. Or even seafood - conceivable, given the uncertain future of wild-fish populations around the globe - you can see the end from here...

Ashpolt
3rd Feb 2011, 21:45
One drinks whiskey with Deus Ex. Not wine. And definitely not beer.

Irate_Iguana
3rd Feb 2011, 21:50
This implies that DX:HR is at least white-meat.

It's certainly not IW. Poultry sounds about right at this point in time.

TrickyVein
3rd Feb 2011, 21:53
Too many bad experiences with that one (whiskey).

Or best experiences, depends on how you want to spin things.

In any case, I usually play Spyro if I'm drinking in front of the computer. :confused:

Drank beer with Fallout 2. That's pretty easy, because you're only required to click with the mouse.

Piflik
3rd Feb 2011, 22:13
I think a good red wine would synergize very well with DX...

Araneidae
3rd Feb 2011, 23:02
Well, I just had a nice Gewurtzraminer/Reisling with my dinner tonight. Think something with more weight to it would be more suitable with Deus Ex. Quite fancy some of that Chateauneuf du Pape though.

thedosbox
3rd Feb 2011, 23:09
Some of us, for reasons it's not worth discussing here, will never run Windows again.

WARNING: SRZ BSNZ AHEAD.

I'm partial to a good Sancerre myself.

Shralla
4th Feb 2011, 03:26
Please, I beg you, spend some time testing Human Revolution with Wine (http://www.winehq.org).

Waste of time, money, and human resources. You want to play a Windows game, then play it on a Windows computer. That or deal with the potential inoperability of an alternative system.

As for booze, it's definitely whiskey for Deus Ex. Classiest of all alcoholic drinks. If it had to be wine though, it would be a sweet red wine.

singularity
5th Feb 2011, 01:52
I'm so grateful this thread got hijacked in the right direction. I'm going to have to second the whisky notion though... I have a nice single-malt scotch that I might just have to open on the same day I get DXHR. That way even if the game is dissapointing, it will still be a good day. And if the game rocks... well... it's just going to be an awesome day.

If it's got to be wine, I vote a dry, red wine. never been a big fan of white, and a richer, oily, red wine usually fits me pretty well. I rarely drink alcohol while eating, and if I do, it's beer, so I've never bothered matching wine with a meal.

Senka
5th Feb 2011, 02:22
By the time HR comes out I'll probably be able to legally drink.

No, really.

IdiotInAJeep
5th Feb 2011, 02:24
I'm 12 and what is this?

St. Mellow
5th Feb 2011, 13:47
This thread is pure WIN. But anyhoo, I'm mostly a whiskey and stout beer guy. Wine's great with meals. And most everything else I like too, just a bit less. :D

FrankCSIS
5th Feb 2011, 15:32
In before I SPEEEL MY DRINK

Remington
5th Feb 2011, 18:12
Deus Ex was great with Scotch on the side...

I always picked the most mean and annoying dialogue choices. Ah, good times.

Now I drink beer when I program. Somehow in the morning the resulting code is warningless and clean! Heck, it even works.

Also, this thread is FULL OF WIN (or wine, whatever)
http://files.sharenator.com/full_of_win_RE_Omegle_T_Rex-s694x530-79066.jpg

Archy
5th Feb 2011, 20:53
hell i started drinking when i was 13

Absentia
5th Feb 2011, 20:55
I'm a student so if I'll be drinking anything while playing DX HR it'll be beer or vodka. But probably vodka.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
6th Feb 2011, 11:02
Wine is sexy, DX:HR will be sexy. A perfect combination. :thumb:

Rheinhold
6th Feb 2011, 12:36
If wine is sexy, then port is downright horny...

JCpies
6th Feb 2011, 12:59
Pass the port Eric!

singularity
7th Feb 2011, 07:27
If wine is sexy, then port is downright horny...

This might be the greatest quote ever...
I'm hell-bent on working it into a casual conversation sometime this week.

Jerion
7th Feb 2011, 07:48
This might be the greatest quote ever...
I'm hell-bent on working it into a casual conversation sometime this week.

Now that I've read it, I am as well! :D

vallux
7th Feb 2011, 14:23
Can't drink beer, that's for damn sure. Why? 'Cause Jock will drink all of them anyways.

minor_threat
9th Feb 2011, 22:50
Well I can't vouch for anybody else but I'll be testing it with a 27 year old Laphroaig single malt whisky (cask strength :eek:) which I'm saving for just an occasion. :D

David Sarif
10th Feb 2011, 12:08
I'll be playing it while drinking stella, so if megan gives me any back talk i will slap that ho.

mentalkase
12th Feb 2011, 22:47
I agree scotch would go down very nicely indeed with DXHR. Have to see if I can get my hands on some Laphroaig for the occasion.

thedosbox
15th Feb 2011, 12:58
I'll be playing it while drinking stella, so if megan gives me any back talk i will slap that ho.

Have some respect and choose a good Belgian beer *slap*

David Sarif
15th Feb 2011, 13:50
Have some respect and choose a good Belgian beer *slap*

Do you understand my comment?
In england Stella has a nickname wifebeater. Because it is a strong beer and people get angry when drinking it so they go home and beat their wives.
It was a joke.

Pinky_Powers
15th Feb 2011, 15:00
they go home and beat their wives.
It was a joke.

It was really, very, amazingly funny.

David Sarif
15th Feb 2011, 15:38
It was really, very, amazingly funny.

if your not english you won't get it, it only a nickname for a drink.
Are you internet stalking to me? You are starting to worry and annoy me.

thedosbox
15th Feb 2011, 23:32
Do you understand my comment?
In england Stella has a nickname wifebeater. Because it is a strong beer and people get angry when drinking it so they go home and beat their wives.
It was a joke.

Stella Artois is not a strong Belgian beer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leffe).

Mindmute
15th Feb 2011, 23:37
Are you internet stalking to me?

At least he's not real-life stalking you like I am... :cheek:

Deus_Ex_Machina
16th Feb 2011, 00:36
I may consider consuming liquor whilst playing DXHR, but never wine.

Wine is too bourgeois for my taste.

BigBoss
16th Feb 2011, 02:56

White wine, but with the proper augs. It has the consistancy of white, but has a mixed black/gold appearance.

Araneidae
27th Feb 2011, 14:19
Ah well, the drinking has died down, I've just revisited DeusEx 2 under Wine, and it doesn't suck as badly as I expected. The game play and interface are childish (I'm just in the intro, where Alex is learning the ropes), but the graphics are just fine. Alas it suffers from a very odd and old bug with the mouse (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6971) -- Thief 3 is also nearly unplayable because of this :(

Apart from this (the workaround seems to involve spinning in place or Esc'ing to the menu to recentre the mouse), DE2 looks perfect ... so it can be done, and the mouse bug will get fixed (it's rather deeply rooted, alas). So just show DE3 to Wine, see if they agree with each other; any issues are likely to be easy to fix, and may expose underlying game engine bugs.

Back to the drinking guys, have some sparkling wine on me. We celebrated 6 days of uninterrupted operation at work a few weeks ago with sparkling wine all round; it'd be good to be able to do that again, but there aren't any new milestones (and that one took over a year to get!)

badhabitz
27th Feb 2011, 14:36
I am firmly on the other side of the fence on this one...

Alcohol is poison.

* 100,000 deaths each year in the US (Mayo Clinic)
* 19,817 alcohol-induced deaths, excluding accidents and homicides, each year in the US 2001 (Deaths: Final Data for 2001, NCHS, CDC)
* 27,035 deaths from alcohol related chronic liver disease and cirrhosis each year in the US 2001 (Deaths: Final Data for 2001, NCHS, CDC)

"Research led by scientists in Canada suggests that alcohol is a factor in 1 in 25 deaths worldwide, prompting calls that an international framework is needed to reduce the harm that alcohol is causing to global health"

It only destroys lives. I have seen with my own eyes.

It is not cool to drink. Drinking alcohol DOES NOT make you a man. (or more of a man than someone who does not drink.)

Have a nice day.

the irony of it all

8aoSls1O-Uk&feature=related

Mindmute
27th Feb 2011, 14:38
Jesus Christ... Even this thread gets the Illuminati/conspiracy talk now? I've got nothing against you lot for believing what you believe, but seriously, pushing the issue obsessively into every single internet topic only helps portray you as loonies.

badhabitz
27th Feb 2011, 14:51
Jesus Christ... Even this thread gets the Illuminati/conspiracy talk now? I've got nothing against you lot for believing what you believe, but seriously, pushing the issue obsessively into every single internet topic only helps portray you as loonies.

Who said anything about Illuminati??

Where is the conspiracy??

:confused: :confused: :confused:

oh so Alcohol doesn't kill people??

Mindmute
27th Feb 2011, 15:01
Who said anything about Illuminati??

Where is the conspiracy??

:confused: :confused: :confused:

oh so Alcohol doesn't kill people??

It's your general self-enlightned style of posting that made me react like that. People don't need a lecture nor would they come here for one.

Alcohol kills people when not in moderation or with prolongued use and then again so does red meat, highly caloric food, sugar, etc. People still have the right to use them socially or personally if they enjoy them and people on a forum about a videogame should still remain free of pseudo-intelectual lectures about lifestyles and/or government conspiracies.

I haven't seen you discuss this game once, I believe, the only involvement you've had in threads was to lecture or to expose some percieved conspiracy and it sort of bugs me.

JCpies
27th Feb 2011, 15:05
And carrots in excess turn people orange.
It's a conspiracy!

badhabitz
27th Feb 2011, 15:16
It's your general self-enlightned style of posting that made me react like that. People don't need a lecture nor would they come here for one.

Alcohol kills people when not in moderation or with prolongued use and then again so does red meat, highly caloric food, sugar, etc. People still have the right to use them socially or personally if they enjoy them and people on a forum about a videogame should still remain free of pseudo-intelectual lectures about lifestyles and/or government conspiracies.

I haven't seen you discuss this game once, I believe, the only involvement you've had in threads was to lecture or to expose some percieved conspiracy and it sort of bugs me.

What is the point of forums if not to express ones opinion and engage in debate?

I do not reply to gameplay threads because they have been done 2000 times over. Third person - Health regen - Consolisation of the game etc. I find them boring. I cannot add anything that someone else has not already said on the matter. I am awaiting the game release along with you guys.

I wanted fully 1st person. I do not want health regen. I want immersion. Pretty much the same as most of you guys way back in 2008 when I was just a reader of these forums.

Now what does the Deus Ex game involve? ILLUMINATI AND CONSPIRACIES and you think i am off topic????

What the hell are YOU doing here if you think that is strange?? Go play COD if you want action with no substance.

edit. When did I say people should not do this or even have the right to?? when did i say this?? YOU are trying to put words in my mouth.

Mindmute
27th Feb 2011, 15:30
Now what does the Deus Ex game involve? ILLUMINATI AND CONSPIRACIES and you think i am off topic????

What the hell are YOU doing here if you think that is strange?? Go play COD if you want action with no substance.

Yes, obviously the only way for a story to have substance if it includes the Illuminati and conspiracies :rolleyes:
People can dislike this type of theme and still enjoy DX's story for it's human and cyberpunk elements. It was a brilliant piece of storytelling and it had conspiracies, not because it had conspiracies.

edit. When did I say people should not do this or even have the right to?? when did i say this?? YOU are trying to put words in my mouth.

I'm doing no such thing, I'm just trying to illustrate how futile it is to lecture someone about lifestyle choices on a videogame forum, especially on a laid back thread that wasn't even discussing the whys and hows of such choices.

And in your honour, I'm going to grab a beer from the fridge and enjoy it. Cheers! ;)

badhabitz
27th Feb 2011, 15:36
Yes I may have been a bit serious in my response. But it is my honest response. I used to drink like a fish. I don't anymore. I have had close family members die because of alcoholism.

So the new Deus Ex trailer points out that it is a time of "Chaos and Conpsiracy". It is also very much expected that the Illuminati will make an appearence as they have done in DX1 & DX2.

So you tell me why i am a "loonie" for discussing the Deus Ex universe on a Deus Ex forum. Please?

Mindmute
27th Feb 2011, 15:42
Yes I may have been a bit serious in my response. But it is my honest response. I used to drink like a fish. I don't anymore. I have had close family members die because of alcoholism.

I've had that too, however if I am objective I can point the finger at them for abusing the substance rather than at the substance itself. Moderation does mitigate many (even if not all) of the problems.
I'm sorry for your loss, by the way.

So the new Deus Ex trailer points out that it is a time of "Chaos and Conpsiracy". It is also very much expected that the Illuminati will make an appearence as they have done in DX1 & DX2.

Absolutely. I'm actually curious to see in which state it is, since it's supposed to be the "Golden Age" of the Illuminati according to the DX timeline.

So you tell me why i am a "loonie" for discussing the Deus Ex universe on a Deus Ex forum. Please?

Ach you're not, I might've put it into the wrong words.
What I was trying to say is that it's the over-insistence of people who believe and like to discuss conspiracies that makes some people not take them seriously. Some slight moderation and a more light-hearted conversation would be seriously beneficial to people trying to tell others about their points of view and beliefs.
It's a bit of a wierd analogy, but imagine the difference between a sheppard who offers cautious advice based on his religion's morals to one who hounds others because they disagree with those same morals.

Sorry, by the way, if the first post seemed overly harsh. It wasn't meant to be such of a knee-jerk reaction.

badhabitz
27th Feb 2011, 16:49
I realise and apologise for spoiling a light hearted and fun thread. Wish I had not replied to be honest. (a real mr buzzkill moment or something)

Actually in a way I have already shared my feelings on playing video games. badhabitz - something i love to do a lot of... but it does me no favors in the long run. I want to do as little of, if not stop all together. Maybe Deus Ex will be the last game I buy. (I play a ton of games for many hours) I also said how i think media and games ARE having an effect on people in a negative way. I am one of them.

Yes everything in moderation INCLUDING moderation!

Pinky_Powers
27th Feb 2011, 18:16
Something in excess is bad for you??!!! Abusing a substance might be harmful!!??!?1 :eek:

33,963 (http://www.dot.gov/affairs/2010/dot4610.htm) people died in the US last year from traffic accidents. Some were most certainly due to substance abuse, and some were not. Life is dangerous. The worst thing you can possibly do is try and make it less fun. The Prohibition sucked! I don't want to live to see it tried again.

Reven
27th Feb 2011, 18:48
How about a bottle of wine for P.O.M ?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/2/2628544_4c82729625.jpg

Just read the label !

JCpies
27th Feb 2011, 18:54
people died in the US last year from traffic accidents.

TRAFFIC iS POISON.

boast
27th Aug 2011, 17:25
bump

Araneidae
30th Aug 2011, 12:57
Has anybody here tried DEHR under Wine yet? This (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=24271) doesn't look terribly promising yet.

LuxAngel7
30th Aug 2011, 13:07
I say we immediately hijack the thread for this purpose.

I'll start.

I don't drink alcohol.

I lold hard.

Itkovian
30th Aug 2011, 15:17
I find myself drinking Hard Cider while playing DX, though admittedly not out of appropriateness, but rather as a good thirst quencher in the summer heat.

As for an appropriate drink, Whisky would be very apropros given it is what Adam drinks (judging from the make believe label, I'd say Jack Daniels).

Naturally, this should be accompanied with a regular dose of energy bars. Whole boxes of 'em, in fact. :)

Itkovian

LeMoN_LiMe
30th Aug 2011, 15:43
OMG let me just say that reading the front page of this thread was GO* *AMN FREAKING HILARIOUS! :lol:

LeMoN_LiMe
30th Aug 2011, 16:23
And in your honour, I'm going to grab a beer from the fridge and enjoy it. Cheers! ;)

AND I SHALL DO THE SAME GOOD SIR! :D

djtanng
30th Aug 2011, 16:45
By the time HR comes out I'll probably be able to legally drink.

No, really.

Me too. Funny, I was drinking home made wine last night while playing, lol.