PDA

View Full Version : Arkham city news (gamespot)

Batman The Trailer Hunter
1st Feb 2011, 02:04
http://www.gamespot.com/special_feature/most-anticipated-2011/day-1/index.html

Batman: Arkham Asylum seamlessly tied its subject matter and mechanics into a cohesive experience that ultimately showed how great a game could be based on a licensed property. For the sequel, Batman leaves the confines of the asylum and heads to the city where he'll have to deal with new threats in a much larger setting. We spoke with Sefton Hill, game director at Rocksteady Studios, to learn more about this new setting and how the Dark Knight will adapt.

GameSpot: One of the great things about Batman: Arkham Asylum is that the mechanics associated with Batman felt true to his character and everything felt like it was placed in the context of that universe. With that in mind, what are you doing to expand Batman's repertoire of moves and abilities in Arkham City and how difficult is it to keep those in line with the Batman character?

Sefton Hill: The range of moves and abilities that we developed for Batman in the first game were designed to meet the threats and obstacles that gamers would find within Arkham Asylum. We wanted to reinforce the feeling of genuinely being the Dark Knight and then come up with a series of challenges, which best tested these abilities. Taking the game onto the Gotham streets has given us the opportunity to significantly increase Batman's repertoire. Our primary goal is to deliver the "Batman in Gotham" feeling, and this meant completely overhauling the traversal and navigation system. We wanted the player to experience the freedom and exhilaration of gliding down alleyways and soaring above the skyline, and this has meant [adding] nearly twice as many moves and animations as in the original game.

But none of this has been difficult to keep in line with Batman's character as this is where we always start, even before we design any challenges or locations. "What would it be fun to do as Batman?" Once we have the answer to that question, we can then start to make the rest of the game.

GS: As the title suggests, it seems with Arkham City that you're trying to expand the world and give Batman a larger arena to use his crime fighting know-how. Is the development team going for a sandbox-style approach where players can kind of go at their own pace--picking and choosing side missions--or will Arkham City be more of a streamlined open-world experience?

SH: The footprint of Arkham City is about five times bigger than Arkham Island, but our primary intention was never to create a bigger gameworld just for the sake of it. In Batman: Arkham Asylum, we really focused our effort on creating an intense, pressure-cooker atmosphere by locking Batman in the madhouse and allowing The Joker to turn up the heat. In Arkham City, we want to take that attitude to the next level, so we created an experience in which gamers will have a huge amount of navigational freedom, but they will also feel the extreme pressure of the challenges that they face. Players will be able to go anywhere at any time, but we have made sure that players will always have a very clear idea of where they are needed most if they want to just stick to the core narrative path of the game. Explore the streets of Arkham City, and you will find many side missions, secrets, and street brawls, so players won't find it difficult to get into some trouble if that's what they are looking for.

I wouldn't describe the game as "sandbox" because a totally open and free-form gameworld would not allow us to create the kind of atmosphere that we wanted to, but we don't hold your hand either. Arkham City is its own place; a massive superprison, jam packed with supervillains, thugs, and psychopaths. There aren't any rules, but it has a law of its own, and this is why it is a perfect setting for Batman. Gamers will have to think and act like the Dark Knight if they want to survive in a place like Arkham City.

GS: Let's talk about the setting of Arkham City. Was this the idea for the sequel's setting from the very beginning, as suggested by the warden's secret room in Arkham Asylum? Does this setting give you a little more creative freedom?

SH: Yes, the decision to take the second game off of Arkham Island was really driven by our desire to set a new creative challenge for the whole team and to give players an even deeper and more authentic Batman experience. As soon as we had Batman diving off rooftops and gliding between buildings, we knew that we had made the right decision to take the action to the streets. We began thinking about the setting for the sequel very early on as it is important to us that gamers get a very real sense of the narrative connection between the two games, and so, the plans in Warden Sharp's secret room are just one example of the way in which the two stories link together. Gamers who have played and completed Batman: Arkham Asylum will definitely see a lot of interesting hooks in Arkham City that connect to the events that happened in Arkham Asylum 18 months earlier.

GS: With such a character-focused game, can you give us some insight into how the story process works for a game like Arkham City? Does the gameplay precede the story or do you need to have a story framework in place and then work from there? What's involved in the villain-selection process?

SH: For every member of the Rocksteady development team, everything starts with the question, "What would Batman do?" The most important thing for us is that players genuinely feel like Batman when they play the game, and so every creative decision that we take is made with that in mind. Then, once we have a feature in place, we ask ourselves, "Does that make me feel like Batman?" The narrative components are crafted to support this feeling, and we deliberately create scenarios and select villains that enable us to reinforce the difficult choices that Batman faces as a man and as the ultimate crime fighter.

GS: Were there any features of Batman: Arkham Asylum that the team knew it wanted to tweak and refine right away when jumping to development for Arkham City? Obviously, detective vision was one of those, but it seems like combat is also being changed around.

SH: We reappraised every aspect of every feature that was developed for Batman: Arkham Asylum and rethought them in the context of the new game setting and story of Batman: Arkham City. Thankfully, we had some very strong core systems to build upon. Our goal was, therefore, to develop these systems and add even more depth and gameplay instead of changing them fundamentally. Taking the freeflow combat system as an example, the core mechanics of this system remain in place. However, it has been updated with lots of new features, including multiple simultaneous counters, aerial attacks, projectile counters, environment counters, beatdowns, the ability to combo in gadgets, new special moves, and more. We have invested as much time and effort into the improvements for Batman: Arkham City as we did in creating the entire systems from scratch for Batman: Arkham Asylum, so I really hope players will appreciate the new features and depth.

GS: Can you give us any hints on what to expect from Arkham City's multiplayer mode?

SH: We are not making any announcements regarding multiplayer at this time.

Not much new info but there are 3 new images

http://i53.tinypic.com/24obu39.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/ek0nk5.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/av6k29.jpg

HA_laughingfish_HA
1st Feb 2011, 02:12
nice ACE chemicals sign there :)

1st Feb 2011, 02:12
nice ACE chemicals sign there :)

More ivy perhaps?

butterskenny
1st Feb 2011, 02:19
Good find man

How does ACE chemicals mean ivy, might I ask?

1st Feb 2011, 02:22
Good find man

How does ACE chemicals mean ivy, might I ask?

My bad, i was thinking somewhere else...it was said that Joker wasnt ill because of the Titan...perhaps the chemicals at the ACE lab is finally catching up with him, and is slowly killing him...

teh hammy
1st Feb 2011, 02:23
good find.

Some of this is new to teh hammy. He likes how AC is 5X bigger than AA.

butterskenny
1st Feb 2011, 02:24
Could be, Im also attracted to the Helicopter,.....I feel like its important somehow..

EDIT: I just noticed Gargoyles way up the top of that tower....thats pretty high from the ground, maybe Batman's takedowns now have longer range

HA_laughingfish_HA
1st Feb 2011, 02:31
also 1st pick with Harley... *drools* is in the Joker's hideout like at the end of the original trailer.

AngelsDontKill6
1st Feb 2011, 02:32
doesn't harley's face look like a completely new shape?
Also why do they have to keep making her look like a S#@t
just saying.

butterskenny
1st Feb 2011, 02:34
Also in that third pic there are white specs everywhere. Lights? Maybe Snow?

TheBatsBack
1st Feb 2011, 02:36
Good find! Brilliant photo's, love the Harley one :P

mwkcope
1st Feb 2011, 02:38
also 1st pick with Harley... *drools* is in the Joker's hideout like at the end of the original trailer.

Not only that,but I think I see Jokers silhouette.

1st Feb 2011, 02:56
just saying.
She looks hawt. And it fits perfectly for the game.

Also in that third pic there are white specs everywhere. Lights? Maybe Snow?
I think its rain, some fo the specs are longer like rain in the first game was

I definately see some green hair. but its hard to tell

JackWinz
1st Feb 2011, 03:06
Harley looks like a young, trashy, hooker.
Not the sweet, sexy, cute, thing from TAS.
A shame really.

HA_laughingfish_HA
1st Feb 2011, 03:20

I think that's an empty chair, if we're looking at the same spot:hmm:

thedarknight2016
1st Feb 2011, 03:21
Awsomesuace!!!!! Graphics look AMAZING!!!!

Doat1
1st Feb 2011, 03:29
I have to change my pants and carpet and repaint the room. I don't like how from the screenshots we have seen batman has been hiding around the corner from a handful i want more of them!!! I want to see screenshots with 20+ thugs at once.

puppet627
1st Feb 2011, 03:31
The Monarch Theater is in there too, the last image.

thedarknight2016
1st Feb 2011, 03:33
Ice burg lounge in third picture. Penguin has to make and appearence.My guess would he is planning something for personal profit,kinda like in No Mans Land.Not too sure though.

illisghost
1st Feb 2011, 03:55
You forgot the two face poster

JD_Method
1st Feb 2011, 04:23
News screens are looking good. I reeeeeeally would like to see some gameplay though.

1st Feb 2011, 04:50
You forgot the two face poster

thats like 4 months old, didnt bother reposting it

Doat1
1st Feb 2011, 05:02
I wonder if we can use the chopper to grapple, hang on to get to where we want to and glide down.

thedarknight2016
1st Feb 2011, 07:41
Could be, Im also attracted to the Helicopter,.....I feel like its important somehow..

EDIT: I just noticed Gargoyles way up the top of that tower....thats pretty high from the ground, maybe Batman's takedowns now have longer range

Of couse you are atrracted by the helicopter,it is very close to batman.My question,though,is can you interact with it?

Marcus
1st Feb 2011, 10:19
Harley looks like a young, trashy, hooker.
Not the sweet, sexy, cute, thing from TAS.
A shame really.

I think she looks like an over-compensating, damaged person - exactly how I'd expect the Joker's ill-treated girlfriend to look :)

Doat1
1st Feb 2011, 10:50
Found this on their facebook page
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs765.ash1/165605_185765471455953_140262999339534_479090_101112_n.jpg

gazzilla8000
1st Feb 2011, 11:48
I love the changes to Batman's suit. It looks a little more real now, with muted colours and finer detail on the cloth.

andries.alexandru
1st Feb 2011, 11:52
The poster with Hugo Strange is so awesome!! Also and the pictures from the Gamespot. I think now we can understand what kinda of business is this game. It'll be the bigger and better game ever, I think. We, the bat-fans, thank you Rocksteady for doing this for us. First game was amazing. The second one will be a dream come true.

sintzu
1st Feb 2011, 12:11
The poster with Hugo Strange is so awesome!! Also and the pictures from the Gamespot. I think now we can understand what kinda of business is this game. It'll be the bigger and better game ever, I think. We, the bat-fans, thank you Rocksteady for doing this for us. First game was amazing. The second one will be a dream come true.

what about the third one?

it has been confirmed you know

sintzu
1st Feb 2011, 12:12
perhaps the chemicals at the ACE lab is finally catching up with him, and is slowly killing him...

what is ACE?

Doat1
1st Feb 2011, 12:25
The batsuit looks very similar to the first one with subtle changes to make it more stealthy, i really love their attention to detail but i still don't like the forearm guards they look too bulky and look like a little machine gun will pop out of them. Still awesome though DAMMIT I CANT WAIT FOR THIS!!!!

Old_BenKenobi
1st Feb 2011, 12:40
just saying.

Because she is a slut.

Anyway, great interview. I love that they spent as much time tweaking the gameplay as they did building it.

Argel319
1st Feb 2011, 14:34
Yup, great interview.
I'm loving that Hugo Strange poster up there - that's some sexy vector art.

1st Feb 2011, 15:38
what is ACE?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_Chemicals

sintzu
1st Feb 2011, 16:40
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_Chemicals

andries.alexandru
1st Feb 2011, 17:42
Hey...can anyone please make this picture with Arkham sign without Hugo? Be exactly like this one, but without his head...a favor for my friend who wants this for his avatar...Only if is possible, of course. Thanks!

jerren
1st Feb 2011, 18:24
The batsuit looks very similar to the first one with subtle changes to make it more stealthy, i really love their attention to detail but i still don't like the forearm guards they look too bulky and look like a little machine gun will pop out of them. Still awesome though DAMMIT I CANT WAIT FOR THIS!!!!

THANK YOU!! Im glad someone else notices this also. I mean, who there at rocksteaady had the DUMB i dea to give Batman those huge gauntlets? This is Batman.. not robocop/iron man. They need to give him rubber gloves and leave the scifi crap off of his suit. Those huge big ole forearms just piss me off. OK i blew of some steam.. im good now..

HellfireBat
1st Feb 2011, 18:35
I so hope this game ain't gonna be a let down

mwkcope
1st Feb 2011, 18:41
I so hope this game ain't gonna be a let down

Alright,I hate to say it,but...is it possible for any game to live up to this amount of hype? I have a bit of a confession to make,AA was a bit...ruined,due to lack of better words,by ridiculous amount of hype. And dis is even more hype.:hmm:

ThtsWhtSheSd16
1st Feb 2011, 19:17
Alright,I hate to say it,but...is it possible for any game to live up to this amount of hype? I have a bit of a confession to make,AA was a bit...ruined,due to lack of better words,by ridiculous amount of hype. And dis is even more hype.:hmm:

This is just my opinion, but I don't think there's been all that much hype for the game yet. You initially had a lot of gaming magazines and websites rehashing the same article over and over again and have been expecting big things from it due to the success of AA, but you haven't heard much from them lately.

Then you had the trailer at the VGAs which garnered some hype, but I think more people freaked out about Uncharted 3 and Mass Effect 3.

Honestly, the people that are hyping the game to death the most are all of us on the board. Dissecting every word in interviews, analyzing every pixel in screenshots, breaking down every second of video... But it's the life of a fanboy or girl and it's what we do. :D

I may be wrong but I think the vast majority of the gaming community isn't thinking all that much about this game right now. That being said, it is one of the biggest names in 2011 so when more information is released by WB and/or Rocksteady, it's going to get a lot more attention.

And I can't speak for you at all, but even with all the hype for AA, I was still impressed when I played it. And played it. And played it again. I still pop it in between playing other games and am still as impressed as the first time I played it. Sure it has its flaws, but it's still a AAA title. And I will play through it again before AC comes out to get me back in the mood and flow of the game.

I also worry a little about the ambitiousness of AC, but based on AA I'm trusting that Rocksteady knows what they're doing.

Sorry for the rambling, but those are just my feelings... Everyone else is free to disagree. :)

Doat1
1st Feb 2011, 21:24
THANK YOU!! Im glad someone else notices this also. I mean, who there at rocksteaady had the DUMB i dea to give Batman those huge gauntlets? This is Batman.. not robocop/iron man. They need to give him rubber gloves and leave the scifi crap off of his suit. Those huge big ole forearms just piss me off. OK i blew of some steam.. im good now..

He should have the normal forearms that are armor plates like in the movies that would make more sense since he could beat people with them and not hurt himself.

kain9998
1st Feb 2011, 22:12

Not really. Everything you just said is all opinion based. To me, personally, Batman: Arkham Asylum was one of the best games I have ever played. Still is to this day. Batman: AA and Dead Space 2 are currently my favorite games on the 360. The only thing that is beating the two of them right now is Champions Online, which I HIGHLY suggest any comic fans look into. You can get the whole game free. No monthly fee, and not even a fee to get the game itself. Free to Play was just launched, and I am having a great time with it. But to keep from sounding like a spokesperson, moving on.

Batman lived up to my hype. Hell, it was even better then I had expected it to be. My only problem was that there was no head-on fight with Crane, which I would have loved. This and that there should have been some sort of DLC mission, or something like Dead Rising: Case West, that takes place after the story to kind of set a bridge between the two.

Doat1
1st Feb 2011, 22:47
Yea AA well exceeded my expectations but i did not know about it until i saw the demo, when i saw it i thought oh great another crappy batman game but after i played it i was in shock and had to buy it.

thedarknight2016
2nd Feb 2011, 07:35
Not really. Everything you just said is all opinion based. To me, personally, Batman: Arkham Asylum was one of the best games I have ever played. Still is to this day. Batman: AA and Dead Space 2 are currently my favorite games on the 360. The only thing that is beating the two of them right now is Champions Online, which I HIGHLY suggest any comic fans look into. You can get the whole game free. No monthly fee, and not even a fee to get the game itself. Free to Play was just launched, and I am having a great time with it. But to keep from sounding like a spokesperson, moving on.

Batman lived up to my hype. Hell, it was even better then I had expected it to be. My only problem was that there was no head-on fight with Crane, which I would have loved. This and that there should have been some sort of DLC mission, or something like Dead Rising: Case West, that takes place after the story to kind of set a bridge between the two.

Thank you,sir.Batman:AA was everything I wanted and more. It was an AMAZING game.There is not too much hype for this.As a matter of fact,I would say it is impossible to generate too much hype for this.I am certain it will be that awsome.

thedarknight2016
2nd Feb 2011, 07:43
This is just my opinion, but I don't think there's been all that much hype for the game yet. You initially had a lot of gaming magazines and websites rehashing the same article over and over again and have been expecting big things from it due to the success of AA, but you haven't heard much from them lately.

Then you had the trailer at the VGAs which garnered some hype, but I think more people freaked out about Uncharted 3 and Mass Effect 3.

Honestly, the people that are hyping the game to death the most are all of us on the board. Dissecting every word in interviews, analyzing every pixel in screenshots, breaking down every second of video... But it's the life of a fanboy or girl and it's what we do. :D

I may be wrong but I think the vast majority of the gaming community isn't thinking all that much about this game right now. That being said, it is one of the biggest names in 2011 so when more information is released by WB and/or Rocksteady, it's going to get a lot more attention.

And I can't speak for you at all, but even with all the hype for AA, I was still impressed when I played it. And played it. And played it again. I still pop it in between playing other games and am still as impressed as the first time I played it. Sure it has its flaws, but it's still a AAA title. And I will play through it again before AC comes out to get me back in the mood and flow of the game.

I also worry a little about the ambitiousness of AC, but based on AA I'm trusting that Rocksteady knows what they're doing.

Sorry for the rambling, but those are just my feelings... Everyone else is free to disagree. :)

I would not say more people freaked out about Uncharted 3 or Mas effect3.The last time I checked youtube the views that Batman trailer for hugo strange has more views than the all the uncharted 3 gameplay videoes,except the trailer.Don't belevie me? Go check,and then tell me if you think more people are hyped about Uncharted.

gotham_knight_lives
2nd Feb 2011, 10:46
Awesome shots! But damn, can they not give us some bloody game footage yet? The second screen with Batman crouching is interesting... Look at the cape, it looks blue on the inside. Meanwhile, it's that greyish colour on the shoulders and cowl.

k1ll1ng j0k3
2nd Feb 2011, 15:08
You know what the best thing about Harley's new design is? The cosplay that will come with it :D

HellfireBat
2nd Feb 2011, 16:05
You know the reason I think I feel in love with Arkham Asylum was because I didn't look at any trailers or info about it and it just blew my mind when I got it.

Matches Malone
2nd Feb 2011, 19:08
Because she is a slut.

Matches Malone :thumb: likes this

Marcus
2nd Feb 2011, 19:18
Matches Malone :thumb: likes this

Marcus doesn't. Misogyny is ugly and unpleasant, and that sort of language offers nothing of value to this forum.

Matches Malone
2nd Feb 2011, 19:35
Misogyny is unpleasant, good thing there isn't any going around here. Put away your trigger happy finger, the term is used to describe both men & women.

2nd Feb 2011, 21:53
Marcus doesn't. Misogyny is ugly and unpleasant, and that sort of language offers nothing of value to this forum.

No one is hating women!!! In all way shapes and purposes she LOOKS like a slut, doesnt mean she is one are not. Its just how she looks. NO one is hating her hell more people probably like the way she looks than those who like the original.

P.S. Rocksteady is just twisting our nipples again

Mistress of Fear
2nd Feb 2011, 22:38
You know the reason I think I feel in love with Arkham Asylum was because I didn't look at any trailers or info about it and it just blew my mind when I got it.

Same here probably after awhile I'll stop looking at info for AC to avoid possible crushing disappointment (granted I did play the demo but not until about a month before it came out.....for AA obviously >_>).

HA_laughingfish_HA
3rd Feb 2011, 00:57
as long as it doesn't turn into spoiler-town like it did for AA. *sigh*

3rd Feb 2011, 02:23
as long as it doesn't turn into spoiler-town like it did for AA. *sigh*

Nothing was really spoiled in the trailers, cept basic story plots. NOt untill the unliscenced gameplay vids showed up that there was spoilers

HA_laughingfish_HA
3rd Feb 2011, 05:51
Nothing was really spoiled in the trailers, cept basic story plots. NOt untill the unliscenced gameplay vids showed up that there was spoilers

Sorry, shoulda clarified. My problem was more along the lines of searching anything Batman around the game's release ended in a spoiler of some sort.

3rd Feb 2011, 18:33
Sorry, shoulda clarified. My problem was more along the lines of searching anything Batman around the game's release ended in a spoiler of some sort.

Yeah 2-3 weeks around the demo time is when most spoilers come

Hatman
5th Feb 2011, 07:16
just saying.

Because of marketing. Which almost always, regardless of whether it's a film or a game, manages to sneak something in that has nothing to do with said film/game, merely in the interest of selling a few more tickets and/or merchandise.:hmm:

I never liked the "new" Harley look myself, too shamelessly blatant. And I doubt it does a whole lot to increase sales anyway. For every drooling nimrod who gets a hard on via pixelated near nudity, there are probably a hundred intelligent people who brought AA because it just happens to have been the best damn game on xbox 360 and PS3 to date, and will buy AC in the hopes that the upcoming game will top the previous title tenfold.:lmao:

Hatman
5th Feb 2011, 07:28

The trick is not to let the hype get into your head. Too many people, for some reason, go into the hundred or so preview articles before release with such hope and come out of it figuring the game will be perfectly suited to their needs. I could name ten games to come out in the last two years that were well-hyped, and when they came out, I was more or less satisfied, while certain members of the game fan community, ignoring the fact that said game received rave reviews, pissed all over the game in question because the developers left something out they said would be in due to time restraints, or because it just didn't fit well, etc.

Batman: Arkham Asylum is perhaps my favorite game of all-time. But is it perfect? Hell no. And neither will Arkham City be perfect.

5th Feb 2011, 17:55
No game will ever be perfect nor satisfy every fan

JackWinz
5th Feb 2011, 19:45
I'll say it again, Harley looks like a trashy, slutty, goth. Not the sweet, sexy, cute thing from TAS.
Which is what I feel she should be..

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/1/14751/475758-harley_joker2_super.jpg

Joseph Kerstein
5th Feb 2011, 20:09
I'll say it again, Harley looks like a trashy, slutty, goth. Not the sweet, sexy, cute thing from TAS.

http://jlurevisited.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/holiday-knights-2.jpg
http://brother-eye.net/interviewsmedia/Holiday.jpg
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/4/40357/989149-harley_and_hush.jpg

Maybe it's not quite as "showy" as she is in AA or AC, but it certainly isn't the first time she's paraded around in a "slutty" getup. Just saying.

JackWinz
5th Feb 2011, 23:10
Maybe it's not quite as "showy" as she is in AA or AC, but it certainly isn't the first time she's paraded around in a "slutty" getup. Just saying.

True.
But there she wasn't really in costume.
Ya know?..

Even in that first pic, she's still kinda cute, I don't get that vibe at all with this.

http://www.gamingtarget.com/images/media/games/PlayStation3/Batman_Arkham_City/page/harley.jpg

Instead, I get "Sex Apeal Sex Apeal Sex Apeal Sex Apeal... Boobies"
Yeah, she's kinda hot, but that's kind of a problem.
And besides, even though she HAS appeared trashy before, that doesn't mean she should, and epecially not for an entire story, meh.
Esspecially when Arleen is voicing her.. :'(

Matches Malone
6th Feb 2011, 00:56
She may look different but I'm sure she will be every bit as annoying as she was in TAS.

Joseph Kerstein
6th Feb 2011, 00:58
True.
But there she wasn't really in costume.
Ya know?..

Even in that first pic, she's still kinda cute, I don't get that vibe at all with this.

http://www.gamingtarget.com/images/media/games/PlayStation3/Batman_Arkham_City/page/harley.jpg

Instead, I get "Sex Apeal Sex Apeal Sex Apeal Sex Apeal... Boobies"
Yeah, she's kinda hot, but that's kind of a problem.
And besides, even though she HAS appeared trashy before, that doesn't mean she should, and epecially not for an entire story, meh.
Esspecially when Arleen is voicing her.. :'(

I can understand that perfectly, and I agree too. I just felt that it needed to be pointed out that she's hardly just "cute and innocent looking" like some fans tend to make her out to be. Yes, she's appeared cute before, but she's appeared slutty before and more than once. Regardless, I agree. The outfits both here and in the previous game are purely to garner more attention from the male (and hey, some females too) audience.

Hatman
6th Feb 2011, 01:52

I one hundred percent agree.

Messing with her uniform is like messing with her trademark. They wouldn't put Catwoman in a bathing suit...so why this? The harlequin outfit is symbolic of her descent into madness and her urgent need for Joker's approval. Taking it away sort of marginalizes the impact of her character to a degree.

Let me back up by saying that I prefer her AC look to her AA look. It's more subtle than before, but it still bugs me that they had to alter one of the most distinctive outfit designs in the Batman universe.

gazzilla8000
6th Feb 2011, 02:40
I've never thought Harley Quinn was an interesting or valuable character anyway, so I have no problem with this costume change. In fact, I think its a massive improvement.

6th Feb 2011, 06:21
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080528014715/batman/images/thumb/c/c8/37247-harley-quinn_400.jpg/89px-37247-harley-quinn_400.jpghttp://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/77/85981-125655-harley-quinn_super.jpghttp://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l3z3r21GKy1qc6bgjo1_400.gif

JackWinz
6th Feb 2011, 07:15
Go away.

But seriously, she's more suited in her normal suit.

That argument is kinda like this argument.

[IMG]http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l1lynuAP431qbtzofo1_400.jpg

Yeah, he's been pink before, that makes it ok.

Joseph Kerstein
6th Feb 2011, 18:53
Go away.

But seriously, she's more suited in her normal suit.

That argument is kinda like this argument.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l1lynuAP431qbtzofo1_400.jpg

Yeah, he's been pink before, that makes it ok.

That's a narrow way of looking at the argument. Harley Quinn was also a lesbian in an alternate universe, and Joker in TDK wore make-up and had facial scars, but we're not using those as our reasoning. We're not using the silly, ancient or the bizarre examples, we're using RECENT, SERIOUS examples of how she herself has dressed. One example being the animated series numerous times, and another one or two being in recent comics in the regular universe. Add to that the fact that both the animated and Arkham versions are written by Paul Dini.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you or the others that a more classic look is in order. Just look at her bio picture in the first game. Damn near perfect rendition if you ask me.

A Dark Hunter
6th Feb 2011, 20:03
I remember that they stated the reason they weren't putting Harley in her original costume was because the harlequin outfit didn't fit the dark tone of the game.

Joseph Kerstein
6th Feb 2011, 20:34
I remember that they stated the reason they weren't putting Harley in her original costume was because the harlequin outfit didn't fit the dark tone of the game.

Batman isn't wearing his original costume either, but at least it's very true to the comics. Lousy excuse in my book.

The Comedian
6th Feb 2011, 21:26

http://oi56.tinypic.com/24zg56e.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2220/1979388586_afba2c53d4.jpg

Lets be honest women are sexualized in comics, in TAS they were keeping it quite tame. I'm not a fan of the Arkham City outfit but it does suit her.

butterskenny
6th Feb 2011, 21:58
I prefer Harley's original costume too, but I do think the one in Arkham City is an improvement from the one in Arkham Asylum

HA_laughingfish_HA
6th Feb 2011, 23:11
didnt the 3d statue of her at the VGA's look different?

7th Feb 2011, 05:43
I think so

Green Lantern
7th Feb 2011, 05:59
didnt the 3d statue of her at the VGA's look different?

No not really.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/5765/07022011055731.png (http://img593.imageshack.us/i/07022011055731.png/)

Joseph Kerstein
7th Feb 2011, 06:00
No not really.

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/5765/07022011055731.png (http://img593.imageshack.us/i/07022011055731.png/)

Sure as hell looks different to me.

Green Lantern
7th Feb 2011, 06:33
Sure as hell looks different to me.

Ok what's different from that image and this one?

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/190/harleyarkhamcity.jpg (http://img141.imageshack.us/i/harleyarkhamcity.jpg/)

HA_laughingfish_HA
7th Feb 2011, 08:36
isnt she wearing a mask?
not trying to argue, just asking a question.

Joseph Kerstein
7th Feb 2011, 09:07
isnt she wearing a mask?
not trying to argue, just asking a question.

It looks partially different here and there, but the mask (looks like one to me) and her hair are the two main ones. The outfit also looks less "punk" ish, so to speak.

Hatman
7th Feb 2011, 12:31

Classic excuse of a copout by Rocksteady. Harl's bra and panties look reeks of a marketing decision.

Hatman
7th Feb 2011, 12:33
Ok what's different from that image and this one?

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/190/harleyarkhamcity.jpg (http://img141.imageshack.us/i/harleyarkhamcity.jpg/)

Whoa, I hadn't seen the AC Harley's full character model, and I'd have to say it's a huge improvement over the first game. Still, I'll always retain a soft spot in my heart for the full bodysuit.

7th Feb 2011, 14:26
Classic excuse of a copout by Rocksteady. Harl's bra and panties look reeks of a marketing decision.

NO that was what IVY was for

Joseph Kerstein
7th Feb 2011, 17:28

That's what BOTH were for.

7th Feb 2011, 19:24
That's what BOTH were for.

Pretty sure its mostly ivy, yeah harley's "hawt" but Ivy's attire and her moaning is far worse

Joseph Kerstein
7th Feb 2011, 19:30
Pretty sure its mostly ivy, yeah harley's "hawt" but Ivy's attire and her moaning is far worse

Imagine Batman dive-rolling out of the way, making those grunting noises while throwing the batarangs at Ivy, causing her to moan and all that.. Now imagine Joker eavesdropping in on the battle....

Joker: GO BATSY! SCORE!

XD

Bat-Tutsi
8th Feb 2011, 00:33
i like the new look for Harley Quinn a lot. She is wearing a cool clown-themed leather outfit that appropriately covers more than dresses women wear in public. This is progressive for a superhero universe, just deal with it. I always thought Harley had a shrunken head on that nurses' outfit, which frankly bothered me more than Batman's Big O steam pipe arms which you guys never stop complaining about.

8th Feb 2011, 04:06
Im pretty sure if they used the TAS outfit, it would be super tight with everything busting thru anyway

A Dark Hunter
8th Feb 2011, 04:39
...trust me....Harley could look worse....

http://i53.tinypic.com/iejqms.jpg

JackWinz
8th Feb 2011, 04:54
...trust me....Harley could look worse....

http://i53.tinypic.com/iejqms.jpg

WOTHFREKKFINGHOLYHBAHLLKJKSSZZONLOLOBBQWTTFFF?!?!
ewww....

8th Feb 2011, 05:05
Thats not harley...is it?

Joseph Kerstein
8th Feb 2011, 05:14
Seriously, what's so bad about a design that follows the classic look, just minus a couple of the "goofier" parts?

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm188/Jacksquat2/Harley_quinn_by_funeralwindpng.jpg

I like this next one right here.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm188/Jacksquat2/Harley_Quinn_by_Lamia_Dicacula.jpg

HA_laughingfish_HA
8th Feb 2011, 05:22
I'm actually pretty curious as to which direction they'll go with the scarecrow outfit in AC

A Dark Hunter
8th Feb 2011, 05:39
I'm actually pretty curious as to which direction they'll go with the scarecrow outfit in AC

If he is in the next one, I want him to be almost exactly the same actually.
I really liked his look in AA.

http://i53.tinypic.com/35b8b4o.jpg

AWESOME!! :cool:

JackWinz
8th Feb 2011, 07:19
I love this thing..

http://fanartexhibit.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/batman_poster_hq.jpg

A Dark Hunter
8th Feb 2011, 07:38
http://i53.tinypic.com/qnw51w.jpg

I like this version of Harley....reminds me of her AC version...:rolleyes:

Hatman
8th Feb 2011, 09:01

Ivy was only adhering to her character roots, which focuses on her ability to take advantage of the hormonal drives of men (and occasionally women). How many times has DC depicted her wearing nothing other than a wreath of leaves? Sex appeal is part of her character.

Harley, on the other hand, was the only character in the game that was altered from her comic look.

A Dark Hunter
8th Feb 2011, 09:04
ivy was only adhering to her character ROOTS, which focuses on her ability to take advantage of the hormonal drives of men (and occasionally women). How many times has dc depicted her wearing nothing other than a wreath of leaves? Sex appeal is part of her character.

Harley, on the other hand, was the only character in the game that was altered from her comic look.

HAHA! Roots!

gazzilla8000
8th Feb 2011, 10:05
Harley Quinn barely worked in the context of the animated series. In the comics, games and films she she never even be acknowledged.

The whole concept of her character is ridiculous. The idea that the Joker would have a girlfriend, or let any human person get close to him (even if he is using her) ruins his character. Its almost as bad as Batman having a 10-year-old sidekick with red tights and a yellow cape following him on his dangerous missions involving gangsters, murderers and worse.

puppet627
8th Feb 2011, 10:46
Harley Quinn barely worked in the context of the animated series. In the comics, games and films she she never even be acknowledged.

The whole concept of her character is ridiculous. The idea that the Joker would have a girlfriend, or let any human person get close to him (even if he is using her) ruins his character. Its almost as bad as Batman having a 10-year-old sidekick with red tights and a yellow cape following him on his dangerous missions involving gangsters, murderers and worse.
I hope for your sake you're trolling.

gazzilla8000
8th Feb 2011, 11:05
I hope for your sake you're trolling.

Nope, I stand by by statement 100%. If I could delete Harley Quinn (and Robin) from history I would.

8th Feb 2011, 15:26
Nope, I stand by by statement 100%. If I could delete Harley Quinn (and Robin) from history I would.

http://i33.tinypic.com/9i7ara.jpg

The Comedian
8th Feb 2011, 16:11

http://oi55.tinypic.com/29o1tn4.jpg

Please explain why.

Matches Malone
8th Feb 2011, 16:39
Harley Quinn could easily be removed from the universe, to have her exist as a recurring character doesn't make sense as Gazilla says. The story of how the Joker manipulated her to help him escape is a great, and interesting an Joker story but realistically he would have killed her as soon as he got out of Arkham. Giving Joker a whiny, annoying, clingy girlfriend is just stupid & humanizes the Joker too much. The Joker is interesting bc he is an unpredictable, inhumane monster of chaos. Giving him a sidekick/love interest just cheapens that.

Harley was introduced to make the Joker less scary & more comedic. That's exactly what she does & that's exactly why I don't liker her. They did a good job with her in AA, but that's more of a credit to Rocksteady than to the character herself.

In short Joker has killed prettier, less annoying & more useful people.

Why don't you guys explain yourselves? Or you could just post more images...

HellfireBat
8th Feb 2011, 17:39
Does the new generation of comic book reader hate sidekicks?

Bat-Tutsi
8th Feb 2011, 17:45
Harley is a great gal, anyone who talks about Batman as serious business is hilarious. The kiddies think so blandly thanks to their spoon-fed media and first person shooters they can't conceive of a comic book universe with a sense of fun or magic to it. They identify with the grumpy hero and not the whimsical side-kick. True grit indeed!

I was probably too harsh, here have some flowers. :flowers:

Acid on yo face! :lmao: :nut:

Doat1
8th Feb 2011, 17:55
I agree Joker and Harley do not really mix very well if you think about it thoroughly. Joker is a psycho not a lover and in one story he became a psycho because of his wife or something so if anything that would make him avoid being in a relationship. Yes yes i know this is a whole different story and all but i am talking about in general. Also Joker should be alone anyway that is how he works at his best.

With that said, i don't mind her at all but sometimes i find her to be useless. My view of the whole Batman series would be completely different than most of your views for sure and it would also be much darker.

Green Lantern
8th Feb 2011, 18:56
My view of the whole Batman series would be completely different than most of your views for sure and it would also be much darker.

But wouldn't Batman comics only appeal to a certain niche audience if they were any darker?

I ask this because i'm reading Gotham Underground right now. And a guy called Johnny Stitches gets his skin peeled off.

I can't speak for anyone else but this sounds pretty damn dark to me. Lol.

8th Feb 2011, 21:32
I always felt that Joker and Harley mixed well.

Doat1
8th Feb 2011, 21:47
But wouldn't Batman comics only appeal to a certain niche audience if they were any darker?

I ask this because i'm reading Gotham Underground right now. And a guy called Johnny Stitches gets his skin peeled off.

I can't speak for anyone else but this sounds pretty damn dark to me. Lol.

lol well i don't mean darker by more violence after all this is Batman he doesn't kill anyone. Maybe darker was the wrong word lol, i meant like darker ways to scare the villains and thugs and the way Joker setups traps for batman.

Joseph Kerstein
9th Feb 2011, 00:33
I hate how "darker" always seems to = more violence, more cussing, more sexual content and thus = better market value and appeal. Things can be hellishly dark and NOT have extra of any of those above examples. It's all in atmosphere, what is happening, and how it's happening, and can freak people out WITHOUT having to shove violence into our faces.

Also, Joker likes the fact that he's got someone that drools all over him. He has no real care for Harley (in the more mature, serious stories, like AA) but she can be a useful roadblock for Batman. Joker sends her out to do his dirty business without the intention of her winning. It's just like when Joker sends waves and waves of thugs out to kill Batman, but he knows they'll fail, because he's Batman. Joker sells her out and gets away with it, cause he can, and she forgives him cause she's bent in the head herself.

Edit: Also, Batman can have a side-kick. A side-kick does NOT = lame, puns, getting caught easily all the time, helpless, useless, pointless. Maybe in the 60's, but hardly does it mean anything negative. It's all in how the writer handles it. There are no bad characters - only bad writers.

Doat1
9th Feb 2011, 00:38
I am not talking about violence or adding curse words at all

Joseph Kerstein
9th Feb 2011, 00:41
I am not talking about violence or adding curse words at all

Wasn't talking to you, but rather to the common perception of it. By saying "dark" the others assume that you're wanting violence and stuff, which is totally the _opposite_ of what I perceive as dark. Violence is just violence. If you took the violence and cussing out of a show like Dexter, it'd still be a dark (awesome) show.

HA_laughingfish_HA
9th Feb 2011, 01:15
BEHOLD!

The Great Clash Of The 80s/90s/00s Comic Fans Has Begun!

but seriously..
This subject matter is all opinion based, to each his/her own.

9th Feb 2011, 03:07
Wasn't talking to you, but rather to the common perception of it. By saying "dark" the others assume that you're wanting violence and stuff, which is totally the _opposite_ of what I perceive as dark. Violence is just violence. If you took the violence and cussing out of a show like Dexter, it'd still be a dark (awesome) show.

I agree! Dexter doesnt need exccesive swearing neither does this game

gazzilla8000
9th Feb 2011, 06:02
Harley Quinn could easily be removed from the universe, to have her exist as a recurring character doesn't make sense as Gazilla says. The story of how the Joker manipulated her to help him escape is a great, and interesting an Joker story but realistically he would have killed her as soon as he got out of Arkham. Giving Joker a whiny, annoying, clingy girlfriend is just stupid & humanizes the Joker too much. The Joker is interesting bc he is an unpredictable, inhumane monster of chaos. Giving him a sidekick/love interest just cheapens that.

Harley was introduced to make the Joker less scary & more comedic. That's exactly what she does & that's exactly why I don't liker her. They did a good job with her in AA, but that's more of a credit to Rocksteady than to the character herself.

In short Joker has killed prettier, less annoying & more useful people.

Why don't you guys explain yourselves? Or you could just post more images...

Thank you, Matches.

Hatman
9th Feb 2011, 07:41

I know that the exact nature of Joker's mental diagnosis has intentionally been left ambiguous, but one possibility that has been suggested is borderline personality disorder. Manipulating others to achieve one's own goals is one of the trademarks of BPD.

The subject of a completely insane individual controlling others is not as far-fetched as it may seem. For years, Charles Manson did just that. The fact that his personality, from psychologist interviews and court room sessions, seems completely devoid of any rational thought processes---and the fact that he seems utterly antisocial to the point that one has a hard time imagining him in any social setting---did not deter him from building a cult out of previously normal people.

9th Feb 2011, 14:32
^^^ I agree

Joker is unpredicable. So it makes some sense to do somthing you would never expect him to do, like getting a gf just as crazy as he is. Everyone needs a companion to relate to