PDA

View Full Version : Will Crystal Dynamics and Tomb Raider be present at the GDC 2011?

Pietras
30th Jan 2011, 21:23
Simple question, will Crystal Dynamics and Tomb Raider be present at the 2011 Game Developers Conference (February 28 to March 4)? Perfect oppurtunity to debut the already-overdue CGI trailer. And it's taking place in the Bay Area...

Ants_27_
30th Jan 2011, 22:09
Simple question, will Crystal Dynamics and Tomb Raider be present at the 2011 Game Developers Conference (February 28 to March 4)? Perfect oppurtunity to debut the already-overdue CGI trailer. And it's taking place in the Bay Area...

Welcome.:)

Is it February? Might be a bit soon more the whole E3 business as it'll give them more time and as for the trailer it isn't really over-due and if it is CGI then that'll be a bit of a disappointment, or at least in my book.

Though I hope they prove me wrong as I just want to see how the game plays, thus being the deciding factor. I get where your coming from mind, pal, though if they release a trailer say now for example then fans are going to want like another four before its released and before you know it you have another case of pre-Underworld.

EDIT - right, just ignore me, I-I have no idea what I'm on about this time... in fact a lot of the time!:lol:

Pietras
30th Jan 2011, 23:01
if it is CGI then that'll be a bit of a disappointment, or at least in my book.
Prepare for disappointement then, 99% of AAA titles these days have CGI trailers released first.

Though I hope they prove me wrong as I just want to see how the game plays, thus being the deciding factor. I get where your coming from mind, pal, though if they release a trailer say now for example then fans are going to want like another four before its released and before you know it you have another case of pre-Underworld.
Underworld case? It took them AGES to release even CGI trailer for Underworld. Other games get that a year and often much earlier prior the release than that.

_Love2Raid_
30th Jan 2011, 23:30
Could be. I have decided not to count on it (for now), since someone (I don´t know if it was Keir, Karl or Scott) said that we had to wait till spring for more goodies. I don´t think late February/early March is spring. :o

aussie500
31st Jan 2011, 04:32

Well Crystal Dynamics are usually there, but no I really doubt they would be showing a CGI trailer, what would a CGI trailer have to do with games development? They show a demo of the game it would be behind closed doors most likely. Best we could hope for is some more previews and some screenshots.

Jonathan Hamel is involved with the game design workshop, he can do that and not ever discuss Tomb Raider. None of the previous speakers said anything about the games in development, no reason why they should this year. Someone should interview Ian Livingston and ask him how the new Tomb Raider game is looking.

The CGI trailer for TRA was released around 6 months before the game (Dec), and for TRU about 4 months (Jul) so how do you work out a game we will probably be getting late this year or early next year is overdue for a trailer.

Pietras
31st Jan 2011, 05:30
Well Crystal Dynamics are usually there, but no I really doubt they would be showing a CGI trailer, what would a CGI trailer have to do with games development?
Nothing, but the conference is a big news in the gaming media and games do get trailers released when it happens.

The CGI trailer for TRA was released around 6 months before the game (Dec), and for TRU about 4 months (Jul) so how do you work out a game we will probably be getting late this year or early next year is overdue for a trailer.
By the fact the competition releases first CGI trailers A YEAR (and often even earlier - Squeenix) prior the release. Have you seen the trailers premiered at the VGAs? All for late 2011/early 2012 titles. Trailers, CGI or not are #1 means of building hype, that's why they need to be released early enough. TRA and TRU's trailers were released waaaaay too late.

Ants_27_
31st Jan 2011, 07:38
Underworld case? It took them AGES to release even CGI trailer for Underworld. Other games get that a year and often much earlier prior the release than that.

By that I meant they released far to much of the story, they announced the villain in the trailer that should have been secret till you played the game and showed off nearly every single level within the trailers. I just hope this time they chose there content a little better and spread it out.:)

Instead of those making of videos, but them as extra content on the disk.

But as for CGI, no necessarily, some games don't go near and instead use the actual games engine or even using part of a cut-scene from the game to announce it. Which I'd personally prefer cause a CGI trailer isn't going to make me buy the game and actual glimpse of the game play is.

Pulse
31st Jan 2011, 23:14
For an announcement trailer, I think a rather obscure CGI trailer showing a ship wreck and a woman's (Lara's) feet stumbling forward on a beach before collapsing (while never showing her from the front) followed by the logo and general release date (Winter 2011) all in 30 or so seconds would work excellently.