PDA

View Full Version : Save game featuring in this game?

Cristiavano
25th Jan 2011, 04:52
Since it IS a reboot i'm assuming save features are different. Anyway will it be like the classics where you can save anywhere or like legend-underworld with the check points?

Checkpoints
Pros

save automatically

don't have to constantly save

Cons

might not make it into next checkpoint meanwhile powergos out and have to start over

Classic Save
Pros

can save anywhere

Easier to save at a spot if your seeing how lara would die

Cons

power might go out (assuming you don't constantly save)

So what do you think and please post if there any pros or cons i missed...

Fickji
25th Jan 2011, 05:41
I'm freaked about the save function. I haven't beaten Underworld because I'm soooo scared that I'll miss the trophy for fastest time, the checkpoint will kick in, and I'll have to do the whole stupid thing all over again just to get back to the fastest time trophy just to rinse and repeat to infinity.:(

Sooooo, con for checkpoints would be trophy getting.

Con to Classic save - you forget to save and die. Than you start over.

I'd like a combo that is NOT set up like Underworld.

I agree with everything else.

No don't make me speed in Mexico, I'll be good, I'll eat my peas. Never get it on a first try even when I'm not in a rush.

aussie500
25th Jan 2011, 05:46
I prefer automatic checkpoints, I always forgot to save in the classics. Replaying a few minutes of the game is hardly any penalty at all, and saves me the worry. They ever do something like those wretched save crystal from TR1 I would probably give up. I replayed so much of the start of St. Francis' Folly chasing the second secret I thought I was in a permanent time loop and would never escape! The TR3 crystals were not so bad, but still I do not want to ever see save points like that again in a Tomb Raider game.

Fickji
25th Jan 2011, 06:17
SAVE CRYSTALS :eek::eek::eek:

I knew there was a reason for playing the PC versions of the old ones.

I wouldn't wish save crystals on my worst enemy.

Feeling a sense of Deja Vu as I am sure I've written on the subject before.

SE_Cath
25th Jan 2011, 09:34
I prefer automatic checkpoints, I always forgot to save in the classics. Replaying a few minutes of the game is hardly any penalty at all, and saves me the worry.
I know that nowadays standards are in favor of the automatic checkpoints, but to be honest it should be optional, if such a thing is technically possible. The savegame system could be a part of the level of difficulty selected by the player, as is the autograb, the help icons, and so on. Letting the player chose between automatic and manual savegame (default settings being the automatic checkpoints) would be a good idea.

Elliot Kane
25th Jan 2011, 13:46
I must admit, I prefer the checkpoints, because of the one pro not on your list, Lyle: game immersion. With the older games I have to remember to save constantly, else I'll end up having to redo huge sections of the game. The act of saving takes me out of the game, though. With checkpoints, I can completely forget saving and concentrate totally on guiding Lara.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
25th Jan 2011, 16:35
I do prefer checkpoints but they have to be well spaced apart so you don't die and appear at the same place. Placing checkpoints too close makes Lara's deaths seem more trivial and won't work well with getting us in to the vibe.

_Love2Raid_
26th Jan 2011, 01:39
I'm fine with checkpoints. It's the 'safest' option I think, as long as you can manually save it as well in different slots.

I thought it was strange how she would get all her health back after a checkpoint reload in Anniversary, haha, doesn't make a lot of sense. You could either use a medipack or just throw her off a cliff...

I think they fixed this in TRU, not sure because I rarely died in that game. :p

Fickji
28th Jan 2011, 03:08
I died in Underworld when I was low on health, with no health packs. I respawned with full health. So no they did not change that aspect.

I got platinum in TR Underworld.

TheDre5
28th Jan 2011, 03:35
Checkpoint is better as I always forgot to save, but at least something like a 'save position' , and 'reload position' (not permanently, or yes) feature would be great for some occasions.

larafan25
28th Jan 2011, 17:01
I want Manual Save however I know it's not going to happen so what the hell.

Mangar The Dark
28th Jan 2011, 17:17
I definitely prefer manual saving. I really hate when I have to play a game longer than I want to, just because I'm struggling to reach the next check point. I preferred the old TR games, where I could just tap F5 and I knew my progress was saved.

If they DO have checkpoints (which I know they will), I hope they are spaced close enough together so that I don't have to replay large chunks on the game each time I die. Nothing kills my enjoyment of a game more than having to replay annoying portions of it ad nauseum.

So people complain that manual saving makes games too easy, but that's nonsense. You don't HAVE to save every few seconds. If you want a bigger challenge, just make up your own restrictions about where/when you can save.

Charlie.T.Raider
24th Feb 2011, 01:35
Hated having to get blue crystals so think checkpoints are probably better. Would like a manual safe too so can turn off if I got tired

mikew123
25th Feb 2013, 01:45
Since playing the latest Hitman game, I hate save points. I want the ability to save anytime I want. This is a big reason, I only play on PC. I hate to repeat game material. This is a buy/no buy matter for me.

I should just cancel my preorder now.

So.. it is autosave only. I just cancelled my pre-order.

Wh1t3Kn1te
25th Feb 2013, 01:48
i use to really be into RPG's and had a habit of saving often. i don't mind whatever kind of save system they use in this game, i can do anything

levyjl1988
25th Feb 2013, 03:38
What kind of save system does the game have?

KS: The game features an auto-save system. [From official forum Q&A session #3 (April 2012)]

Extra T
25th Feb 2013, 03:41
I like auto save

Relight-TRHQ
25th Feb 2013, 05:52
As an old school PC gamer where basically every PC game I played had manual saves, I don't like autosave.

With manual saved games, you can go back to any point you have a save, in case you want to replay or take a screenshot of a certain spot.

With auto save and no manual save, if they even let you restore a previous checkpoint (which may not be the case), you may have to do a lot of trekking to get to the spot you want to get to, and then managing previous checkpoints and your current "in game" position becomes tricky (if, again, they let you at all).

Especially in a hub style game that is not a strict linear game, manual saves are important. I can understand a pure level based game having checkpoints within levels and the ability to play from the beginning of any level or at any checkpoint in a level once you've reached that point.

Skyrim does save games well in my opinion - you can save at any time you want, but there's also an autosave system with variables that you can set, for those "ahhh I've been playing for half an hour, I just died, and I forgot to save" moments, although, to be honest, that's never happened to me, because I'm one of those obsessive savers who likes to have a million saved games :p

Lantea
25th Feb 2013, 06:07
The best option is to have both auto-checkpoint system, but also at the same time allowing saves any time you want.

I would like to see a method similar to GTA IV (pc) auto saves are after every mission (in Tomb Raider it could be checkpoit based), but you are also able to save any time you like manually.

Metalrocks
25th Feb 2013, 10:53
havent used quick saves since max payne 2. but if a game has this option to save when ever you want, i might use it.

oldboy2003
25th Feb 2013, 10:59
no its auto save and restart from last checkpoint

Findus
25th Feb 2013, 11:05
My preference is to save when and where I want, as I tend to play on the 'safe side' and therefore like to save frequently.
However, I do not mind the occasional checkpoint thrown in.
If autosave is implemented, it should save often and always after a difficult part, be it a jump, a fight or a timed run.
There is nothing more annoying than having mastered a hard bit and then having to replay it because you die or have to log out for some reason before reaching a checkpoint.

SineadLadyCroft
25th Feb 2013, 11:23
I prefer to have automatic checkpoints in a game, but I do see why people prefer manual saving.
I think that automatic checkpoints will perfectely suit this game, so long as Lara's health doens't regenerate to full when it was at half way capacity at that point. That would just ruin the whole survival theme.:p But it may work.
And if the save crystals from the console versions of TR1 and TR3 come back I will officially scream with frustration. I've only just recently played the PC versions of TR 1 & TR 3 and it has been so much of a more enjoyable experience with unlimited manual saves, although I must admit, having only a certain number of saves can be a good and bad thing in which some people may embrace the challenge, whereas some may not.

Lantea
25th Feb 2013, 12:43
My preference is to save when and where I want, as I tend to play on the 'safe side' and therefore like to save frequently.
However, I do not mind the occasional checkpoint thrown in.
If autosave is implemented, it should save often and always after a difficult part, be it a jump, a fight or a timed run.
There is nothing more annoying than having mastered a hard bit and then having to replay it because you die or have to log out for some reason before reaching a checkpoint.

This^^
I have had the displeasure of playing several games where poor checkpoint design meant I had to repeat several long passages to no end just because of one difficult sequence towards the end. :mad2:
There is nothing more frustrating than a poorly designed auto save feature with no ability to do manual, any-time, saves.

Metalrocks
25th Feb 2013, 12:51
This^^
I have had the displeasure of playing several games where poor checkpoint design meant I had to repeat several long passages to no end just because of one difficult sequence towards the end. :mad2:
There is nothing more frustrating than a poorly designed auto save feature with no ability to do manual, any-time, saves.

yeah, it can get frustrating. but pretty much most games have well places autosaves. most of the time it saves exactly there were i want to make a manual save.

Findus
25th Feb 2013, 12:55
Let's hope for the best, then. :D

DrCroft
25th Feb 2013, 14:34
I replayed so much of the start of St. Francis' Folly chasing the second secret I thought I was in a permanent time loop and would never escape!

Oh St. Francis' Folly, you harsh mistress. I clicked on a crystal before I should have done and was in a permanent loop of doing three rooms and being squashed by a bolder every time. I could've cried!

I hope it is a manual but I doubt it, the lay out of the island (from what we have seen so far) lends itself to checkpoints with certain events or platforms (helicopter or end of vista fall). As long as it is a solid system then its fine!

Lara_Fan_84
25th Feb 2013, 17:19
Most games now have autosave, basically it saves for you at certain periods of the game--usually after a boss battle or after you get to a certain area or accomplish something in particular.

I would also like to be able to save it when I want too.