PDA

View Full Version : Will the new TR game be an RPG?

Elliot Kane
17th Jan 2011, 13:54
The one thing that immediately struck me about every description I've read of the new game is that it hits all the targets for being an RPG without anyone ever saying so.

Strong emphasis on characterisation, character development, plot and story. Lara gains experience over time and becomes better at what she does (Improving skills, ETC). Lara is going to be 'more human' and have better developed relationships with other characters, a better developed personality, etc.

Crystal Dynamics have done everything short of saying 'this is an RPG', and I find myself wondering why.

Personally, I love the idea.

But am I just seeing what I want to, here, or do others get the same impression I do?

Silvermoth
17th Jan 2011, 17:41
I might be wrong but I haven't heard that Lara will be leveling up. Also, since this is a survival game I don't think Lara will have many relationships except for the odd crazy man/foe.

_Love2Raid_
17th Jan 2011, 23:59
I'm sure it will have some RPG elements, but I doubt there will be any 'role playing'. So no.

SH4D0WL0RD
18th Jan 2011, 06:02
wishful thinking. :rasp:

Ants_27_
18th Jan 2011, 07:48
"My legs feel stronger now-" :rolleyes:

I couldn't resist.

Elliot Kane
18th Jan 2011, 09:21
Another Angel Of Darkness must be everyone's ultimate nightmare! :D

Marluxia15
18th Jan 2011, 11:17
"My legs feel stronger now-" :rolleyes:

I couldn't resist.

HAHAHA! Loved this!

Cheese is nice.
29th Jan 2011, 05:13
Another Angel Of Darkness must be everyone's ultimate nightmare! :D

Haha. This I like. Actually people liked the story and everything but they didn't like the technical bugs and stuff of that nature. At least to my knowledge that is. But NOOOOO Kurtis-esque characters!!!!

Elliot Kane
29th Jan 2011, 23:22
Haha. This I like. Actually people liked the story and everything but they didn't like the technical bugs and stuff of that nature. At least to my knowledge that is. But NOOOOO Kurtis-esque characters!!!!

The story was fine. It was pretty much everything else that utterly sucked! 'Move specific random object to make Lara stronger' was bad enough, but when you could get Kurtis to side flip, then go and make a cup of tea in the time it took him to finish the flip because of how poorly the game ran, there's problems. And let's not even talk about his fantastic super-weapon that didn't work!

Only TR game I ever got rid of. Absolute rubbish.

Cheese is nice.
30th Jan 2011, 06:00
The story was fine. It was pretty much everything else that utterly sucked! 'Move specific random object to make Lara stronger' was bad enough, but when you could get Kurtis to side flip, then go and make a cup of tea in the time it took him to finish the flip because of how poorly the game ran, there's problems. And let's not even talk about his fantastic super-weapon that didn't work!

Only TR game I ever got rid of. Absolute rubbish.

Haha. I like you.:D You make me laugh.

BigBoss
31st Jan 2011, 09:14
Rpg elements would be cool

Elliot Kane
31st Jan 2011, 12:17
Haha. I like you.:D You make me laugh.

Thanks. I think! :D

Denis..
31st Jan 2011, 17:22
so i never played aod really..
do i miss something??

Pietras
31st Jan 2011, 20:12
so i never played aod really..
do i miss something??
You missed great story accompanied by great music, but at the same time absolutely awful gameplay with horrendous controls.

AdobeArtist
13th Feb 2011, 06:35
I think you're reading a little too much into the GI article. Upgradeable abilities alone does not an RPG make. Force Unleashed, God of War, the Wolverine Game all have upgradeable abilities and they aren't RPGs.

And plenty of games with a strong narrative and characterization element, like Alan Wake, Grand Theft Auto, and Heavy Rain among others, are just games with good story, but that doesn't make them an RPG either.

The two defining traits which distinguish an RPG from other genres are;

The player defines the role - this is the role playing aspect of the gameplay experience. In other games where the character is predefined, their personality, attitudes, behaviors, and other characteristics which make them what they are, is all scripted by the game developer. In an RPG, where you as the player are imprinting the character with the traits and attributes you want them to have, basically sculpting them into the persona as you would have them be, that's role playing, making the character an extension of yourself.

Player driven interaction - This ties into the above criteria, where through your character being an extension of yourself, you can interact with the world around you and its populace. How each encounter unfolds is derived by how you choose to approach it. This goes beyond the combat and action of the game, where you can also participate in the lives of the people you encounter at the locations you visit. Whether you choose to help them with a problem they have, or exploit it to your own gain, the interplay should come from you.

And to clarify, static cinematics don't count. Those are prescripted scenes that take you out of the gameplay where you can only passively watch the event unfold in a predetermined fashion, before switching back to the action gameplay. But if you are able to determine what happens between your character and the local inhabitants, that even these interactions are a part of your active gameplay experience, be that an exchange of words and/or actions, which has your full participation - that is role playing.

All that said, stats and levelling do have their part in the RPG genre. But that is essentially the surface mechanic which contributes to how you shape your character's traits and abilities mostly combt related. It's still incomplete if the gameplay doesn't enable the player to experience the world and events in their own way, to make it actually role playing.

RosePetals
13th Feb 2011, 15:28
I doubt it, with Lara being on an island with blood-thirsty natives.
But I guess RPG would be cool. :P

Hey, I actually liked AOD (minus the crappy controls and the bugs). ;)

Elliot Kane
13th Feb 2011, 21:02
Adobe,

Just to be clear, I played tabletop RPGs for roughly 20 years. I know what an RPG is :)

(There's no way you could have known that, so I'm NOT trying to be mean. Just sayin' :))

Cheese is nice.
15th Feb 2011, 05:25
Thanks. I think! :D

It's a good thing I swear. :D But I would prefer not to have an RPG on our hands. The essence of Lara is getting lost very quickly already. RPG elements could further disturb it. Buuuuut that's only my opinion.:thumb:

Oh, and previous comment^^^ Me gusta. ^_^

Elliot Kane
15th Feb 2011, 18:07
Oh, I don't want 'elements', Cheese! If there's any term that means less than 'RPG elements' in computer gaming, I have yet to come across it. The definition seems to be "We hope this will make our game sound more interesting." :D

I'm hoping that sooner or later there will be a full-on Lara Croft RPG. This one may not be it, but the franchise has been slowly drifting in that direction for a long time.

At the start, Lara was a pretty generic character. The games were awesome, don't get me wrong, but Lara herself was most notable for being female in a world filled with Duke Nukems.

But over the course of the games she has gone from 'have guns, will travel' to a more fully developed character, with associates, rivals and various attempts to create a deeper personality for her And a stronger and more involved background to go with it.

They flirted with the idea of more player choice in the otherwise abysmal AoD, where the player has some dialogue options. They flirted with the idea of letting the player pick Lara's path as far back as (The not very good) TR3.

They always pull back from the brink, which is a shame.

After all, what major differences would there be to a Lara RPG? None of the acrobatics or combat would get lost. You'd just have more interaction with other characters (Something it appears this game will have) and a very real choice over Lara's decisions.

'Try To Shoot Amanda' vrs 'Let Amanda Go' could have consequences either way later in the story, which would make for a better game and increase replayability (And yeah, I adore Amanda. Can you tell? :D)

The player could play Lara the way they see her as being ("Lara hates Amanda for all the stuff she's done! She'll kill her!" vrs "Lara still feels guilty at having to leave Amanda. She's not going to kill Amanda unless she has to." - both valid interpretations of the character, I'd say. Both decisions could have important consequences later in the game).

RPGs are about characterisation and decision making - 'player driven interaction', as Adobe puts it so well. But that doesn't mean an RPG needs hours of dialogue or endless cut scenes. The Witcher is arguably the best single character RPG out there and a truly massive amount of the interaction is optional.

So you'd get a deeper experience for those who want it, but with all the old acrobatics, gun battles and other stuff that make up the older TR games.

Does that sound so bad?

Elliot Kane
10th Nov 2012, 14:57
Bumping this thread due to current relevance, and also due to the fact I haven't put this graphic in here, yet! :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v41/ElliotKane/LaraInv.jpg

We now know there will be training camps where you can level up your skills, probably character interaction and virtually everything else you'd expect in a 'light' RPG.

So - to repeat my original question in this thread - am I just seeing what I want to, here, or do others get the same impression I do? Is what we are looking at a very stripped down and stat light RPG? (J or otherwise...)

JapaneseIsland
10th Nov 2012, 15:00
I love this idea too.
Lots of great new concepts being put into this re-imagining. I love it all.