PDA

View Full Version : PS3 or Xbox 360

ShadowRatchet6
16th Jan 2011, 04:19
I haven't seen any PS3 gameplay, just the 360 gameplay from the trailer, but which would be better to get? I have both systems, so I'm not trying to start a console war or anything, but which version would have a smoother frame rate and better graphics? I also know its not released yet, but based on speculation, which would be the lead platform?

pha
16th Jan 2011, 05:13
Neither.

Cronstintein
16th Jan 2011, 05:43
There's a poll somewhere with almost this exact question. I suggest looking for that if you really want to know.

Deltaslayer
16th Jan 2011, 06:21
Neither.

This.

LeMoN_LiMe
16th Jan 2011, 07:41
CONSOLE WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111

XBOX 360 NEEEWBSS SHALL PERISH UNDERZ MY WRATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!111 :nut:

IdiotInAJeep
16th Jan 2011, 08:40
Ps3 h4z l1ek n0 g4m35!!1!!one!!!eleven!!11!

RebelX
16th Jan 2011, 09:00
I will be purchasing the PC version, but I will likely purchase the Xbox 360 version as well.

JCpies
16th Jan 2011, 09:40
PC, unless it has multiplayer in which case I will get it for PC.

CoDEllite
16th Jan 2011, 17:44
I haven't seen any PS3 gameplay, just the 360 gameplay from the trailer, but which would be better to get? I have both systems, so I'm not trying to start a console war or anything, but which version would have a smoother frame rate and better graphics? I also know its not released yet, but based on speculation, which would be the lead platform?

LOL like all multiplatform games the xbox version will be by FAR superior. It will also be the one with eventual early access to exclusive dlc. Like Mass Effect this game will be awesome on the xbox :cool: .

mad825
16th Jan 2011, 18:09
It will also be the one with eventual early access to exclusive dlc. Like Mass Effect this game will be awesome on the xbox :cool: .
*cough*
Don't you mean Fallout:New Vegas?

Either the case it's hard to say at this point although it's very likely that the PS3 version will have better graphics

St. Mellow
16th Jan 2011, 19:34
Neither.

Dammit! Beat me to it. First thing I thought when I saw the title. :D

JCpies
16th Jan 2011, 19:48
LOL!!! Like two or three multiplatform games the xbox version will be a bit superior. It will also be the one with eventual early access to exclusive dlc because microsoft pays to get ahead. That and Halo is the only reason I ever bought an Xbox. I'm such a console/xbox fanboy, I can't wait for Deus Ex, I hope it has custom camo online.

I fixed a few mistakes in your post.

ZakKa89
16th Jan 2011, 20:11
LOL like all multiplatform games the xbox version will be by FAR superior. It will also be the one with eventual early access to exclusive dlc. Like Mass Effect this game will be awesome on the xbox :cool: .

Don't listen to this guy.
Funny that Mass Effect 2 is superior on the ps3 because of the me3 engine. There are also other examples. You need to stay out of this, fanboy. There is also no indication that the 360 version will have exclusive dlc.

To op: Wait untill release and see what customers have to say, or buy the PC version, where you actually have CONTROL on how smooth the game will run.

Here is another quote from this guy in a similair thread:

End of arguement xbox 360 version will be by far the superior of the two console version. XBOX FTW

Pretentious Old Man.
16th Jan 2011, 20:44
GPCGMR here.

Z3roCool
16th Jan 2011, 20:52
Ahhh the days of the PC and big game manuals and boxes are long gone :(

It makes me sad that consoles rule the market as its the most profitable. Games really are not what they used to be...made to pick up an put down, I hope HR prooves me wrong.

CoDEllite
16th Jan 2011, 21:40
although it's very likely that the PS3 version will have better graphics

No way lol. What have you been smokin, mad :lmao: .

Dead-Eye
16th Jan 2011, 21:56
The PS3 annoys me to no end. It's only has 256mb of ram. The 360 has 512mb and even with the extra power of the PS3 the Xbox 360, to me, always looks better because it can support higher texture resolutions.

However, Human Revolution is going to support the latest DX11 technology. So if you really want to play this game in all it's glory, the best experience is going to be on the PC with a mid to high end DX11 card.

Pretentious Old Man.
16th Jan 2011, 22:05
http://nano2009.omer.bar-or.org/images/misc/gentlemen.jpg
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/6075/1217664-gloriouspcgamingrace_super.jpg

/fanboy wars.

:)

Rheinhold
16th Jan 2011, 22:10
The PS3 annoys me to no end. It's only has 256mb of ram. The 360 has 512mb and even with the extra power of the PS3 the Xbox 360, to me, always looks better because it can support higher texture resolutions.

However, Human Revolution is going to support the latest DX11 technology. So if you really want to play this game in all it's glory, the best experience is going to be on the PC with a mid to high end DX11 card.

If there ever was any doubt. PC always has the best graphics, but it strongly depends on your PC system.
If you are still running on a 4-86 it ain't gonna be pritty...

I like the precision of the mouse. I hate the imprecision of those joystickie-thingies on the console controllers. I like my mouse sturdy. I hate controllers that go all Parkinson as soon as something happens. I like having many upon many buttons under which I can shove whatever controls I like. I hate the 'ergonomic' lay-out of controllers, and they always have too few buttons to me... I like making a mod for a game. I hate it when the only thing I can adjust is the screen brightness. I love how I can run both a game, Ff, google talk, TS3 and so forth all at the same time. I hate it how a console is dedicated to play only one game. I like having gigs upon gigs of save games. I hate it when I have to buy another memory for the console so I can continue saving my progress. I love (usually...) how the controls respond in PC games. I hate the indirectness and built-in smoothness of console controls.

The list goes on and on...

CoDEllite
16th Jan 2011, 22:18
If there ever was any doubt. PC always has the best graphics, but it strongly depends on your PC system.
If you are still running on a 4-86 it ain't gonna be pritty...

I like the precision of the mouse. I hate the imprecision of those joystickie-thingies on the console controllers. I like my mouse sturdy. I hate controllers that go all Parkinson as soon as something happens. I like having many upon many buttons under which I can shove whatever controls I like. I hate the 'ergonomic' lay-out of controllers, and they always have too few buttons to me... I like making a mod for a game. I hate it when the only thing I can adjust is the screen brightness. I love how I can run both a game, Ff, google talk, TS3 and so forth all at the same time. I hate it how a console is dedicated to play only one game. I like having gigs upon gigs of save games. I hate it when I have to buy another memory for the console so I can continue saving my progress. I love (usually...) how the controls respond in PC games. I hate the indirectness and built-in smoothness of console controls.

The list goes on and on...

Great :flowers: do you want a cookie or some sort of badge now? But what are you going to say when Human Revolution's computer version comes out with some rediculous DRM scheme that requires you to be connected to internet at all times to play or installs a bunch of malware on yur machine to make sure youre not running the pirated version? Cause computer gaming is just great in that way.

Pretentious Old Man.
16th Jan 2011, 22:23
Great :flowers: do you want a cookie or some sort of badge now? But what are you going to say when Human Revolution's computer version comes out with some rediculous DRM scheme that requires you to be connected to internet at all times to play or installs a bunch of malware on yur machine to make sure youre not running the pirated version. Cause computer gaming is just great in that way.

Only Ubisoft ever made you stay connected permanently, and they have discontinued that policy. As for invasive SecuRom, that's years in the past now.

Let me ask you a question: how does it feel to have every piece of software available on a given platform monitored by one, central company? How does it feel to have a total lack of anything other than so-called AAA titles because they can't afford to pay the draconian licensing fees because the consoles cost so much to build Sony and MS are forced to levy ridiculous costs on developers?

We could do this all night.

BigBoss
16th Jan 2011, 22:23

I have never said anything bad about you before........but that statement REALLY shows how much of a fanboy you are. (And ME2 on ps3 is better in every way, because it comes with all the dlc at no additional cost and is being built on the me3 engine, sorry)

To throw in my 2 cents since I'm sure you're all curious, xbox for me because all my friends have it.

ZakKa89
16th Jan 2011, 22:26
Also, I've never heard of PC games giving your pc malware, you must be doing something terribly wrong Codelite lol. What are you talking about, seriously.

CoDEllite
16th Jan 2011, 22:31
I have never said anything bad about you before........but that statement REALLY shows how much of a fanboy you are. (And ME2 on ps3 is better in every way, because it comes with all the dlc at no additional cost

LOL I bought ALL ME 2 dlc AGES ago, finished them and moved on to other games. And rereleasing ME 2 on ps3 while the first game is still xbox exclusive is the stupidest move Bioware ever done IMO. You just cannot play ME 2 withoyout playing ME 1. You'll be losing out big time on the whole experience as its not just about the story but little details and character interactions that carry over from first game. In fact I'm glad the ps3 fanboys are getting the second ME because then they will maybe feel so bad about losing out on the first game and finally buy an xbox.

and is being built on the me3 engine

PS: As to ps3 version running on "newer" engine. I looked at the comparison videos and frankly xbox version still looks better with much better performance. And it looks like Mass Effect 3 "newer" engine is just like the ME 2 engine. It was just one of the lies told by publishers to sell more copies.

Pretentious Old Man.
16th Jan 2011, 22:33
^^I've just realised, CoDelite, that if you decapitalise the D, you become "Codelite", or "Code-lite".

I just thought that given your predilection towards consoles, that was amusing. I'm still nursing a hope that you're an uber-sophisticated troll, by the way.

CoDEllite
16th Jan 2011, 22:39
^^I've just realised, CoDelite, that if you decapitalise the D, you become "Codelite", or "Code-lite".

I just thought that given your predilection towards consoles, that was amusing. I'm still nursing a hope that you're an uber-sophisticated troll, by the way.

Sorry to disappoint you, Old Man. And congrats on the 1111th post ;) .

Pretentious Old Man.
16th Jan 2011, 22:53
Sorry to disappoint you, Old Man. And congrats on the 1111th post ;) .

Thank you for caring, good sir. ;)

ZakKa89
16th Jan 2011, 23:07
PS: As to ps3 version running on "newer" engine. I looked at the comparison videos and frankly xbox version still looks better with much better performance.

lies

Srosa
16th Jan 2011, 23:21
http://nano2009.omer.bar-or.org/images/misc/gentlemen.jpg
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/6075/1217664-gloriouspcgamingrace_super.jpg

/fanboy wars.

:)

What nonsense. If you play DX:HR on Xbox 360 or PS3 on the most powerful LED TV on the market, is like playing the same game on the most powerful PC with the graphics at maximum. In my opinion, is more an issue of TV rather than PC or console.

CoDEllite
16th Jan 2011, 23:26
What nonsense. If you play a DX:HR on Xbox 360 or PS3 on the most powerful LED TV on the market, is like playing the same game on the most powerful PC with the graphics at maximum. In my opinion, is more an issue of TV rather than PC or console.
:thumb: Finaly someone to shine a light of reason on this dark, dark forum. Let me be the first to congratulate you, friend but watch out for the horde of rampaging pc elitists bound to converge on you position. RUN NOW

Pretentious Old Man.
16th Jan 2011, 23:35
What nonsense. If you play a DX:HR on Xbox 360 or PS3 on the most powerful LED TV on the market, is like playing the same game on the most powerful PC with the graphics at maximum. In my opinion, is more an issue of TV rather than PC or console.

Tell me, friend, how far does your understanding of graphics rendering go? Judging by that statement, I can only presume that we're at the "black magic" stage, but I suppose it's worth a try...

Please tell me you were having a little joke, Esnuk.

Srosa
17th Jan 2011, 00:07
Tell me, friend, how far does your understanding of graphics rendering go? Judging by that statement, I can only presume that we're at the "black magic" stage, but I suppose it's worth a try...

Please tell me you were having a little joke, Esnuk.

No joke, my friend. There is to cry for this "war ", not to joke. I wonder what our parents would think if they could see how much we care about these things, which are but trifles in the immensity of the universe.

Rindill the Red
17th Jan 2011, 00:18
No joke, my friend. There is to cry for this "war ", not to joke. I wonder what our parents would think if they could see how much we care about these things, which are but trifles in the immensity of the universe.

Or you could recognize your responsibility to know what you are talking about when you engage in public discourse.

Pretentious Old Man.
17th Jan 2011, 00:22
No joke, my friend. There and cry for this "war ", not joking. I wonder what our parents would think if they could see how much we care about these things, which are but trifles in the immensity of the universe.

Everything is but a trifle in the immensity of the universe, my friend!

But seriously, graphical rendering is an amalgam of the speeds of the Central Processing Unit, Graphics Processing Unit, the dedicated memory said GPU receives, and the Random Access Memory (RAM) available. Then we have to factor in things that rely on the software itself, like Graphics API version (e.g. DirectX11), lighting, texture resolution, model polygon count, etc, all of which use up the above. It is literally impossible for 4 year old consoles to compete with even mid-low range PCs of the present day, they are now so laughably far behind. Ironically, I could nowadays buy a PC with more power than any console for roughly the same price.

Monitor/TV quality used makes little difference as such in terms of actual rendering, that's just display. Suffice it to say that higher resolutions require more processing power, meaning the PC has that one covered too. It's also worth noting that PCs/monitors were capable of running games in what would now be considered 1080p high definition (1920x1024) since about 2004, and can now run games at much higher resolutions than that with ease.

Srosa
17th Jan 2011, 00:30
Everything is but a trifle in the immensity of the universe, my friend!

But seriously, graphical rendering is an amalgam of the speeds of the Central Processing Unit, Graphics Processing Unit, the dedicated memory said GPU receives, and the Random Access Memory (RAM) available. Then we have to factor in things that rely on the software itself, like Graphics API version (e.g. DirectX11), lighting, texture resolution, model polygon count, etc, all of which use up the above. It is literally impossible for 4 year old consoles to compete with even mid-low range PCs of the present day, they are now so laughably far behind. Ironically, I could nowadays buy a PC with more power than any console for roughly the same price.

Monitor/TV quality used makes little difference as such in terms of actual rendering, that's just display. Suffice it to say that higher resolutions require more processing power, meaning the PC has that one covered too. It's also worth noting that PCs/monitors were capable of running games in what would now be considered 1080p high definition (1920x1024) since about 2004, and can now run games at much higher resolutions than that with ease.

Would you shoot me if I just wanted to enjoy a game without too many complications?

Srosa
17th Jan 2011, 00:31
Or you could recognize your responsibility to know what you are talking about when you engage in public discourse.

Not enough trolling James Swallow,? lol. Calm down, man, I wasn't talking to you.

Dead-Eye
17th Jan 2011, 01:21
I always thought, after I had played Gears Of War, that console technology had really hit a point where pretty graphics weren't that big of a deal anymore. I mean the stuff on the 360 and PS3 already looks real to those that have less then perfect vision. And I generally stop noticing how pretty everything is after 15 minutes.

Isn't gameplay the bigger issue nowadays?

reticulate
17th Jan 2011, 02:09
360. I've gradually moved away from PC gaming after my last rig died. My laptop is more than I need for day-to-day stuff and besides I enjoy reclining on the couch in front of the TV with a beer and a controller.

Horses for courses, I say. I have nothing against my PC-playing brethren, indeed I was once amongst them.

Rindill the Red
17th Jan 2011, 04:05
Not enough trolling James Swallow,? lol. Calm down, man, I wasn't talking to you.

That was an accident. I wasn't actually intending to troll him... just one drunk post... but he hates me now... :(.

In any case... my point stands. This is a public forum... and I can butt in on your conversation if I want to.

IdiotInAJeep
17th Jan 2011, 04:31
This place has turned into a breeding ground for trolls.

ArcR
17th Jan 2011, 05:05
^ Naw... we just hit a classic topic.

Can you use a keyboard and mouse with the PS3? That may be one way to fly. I tried playing a game onthe Xbox 360 but the controls take a while to get used to. Barring exclusive content I'd buy for the PS3 before 360.

The best way to fly is Computer hooked up to a nice TV in a dark room. :)

Daeda
17th Jan 2011, 11:03
I've seen the game get demoed on a PS3, so thats probably the leading console. I think they're developing on PC as a lead though, which would in theory make the 360 version easier to port.

Rheinhold
17th Jan 2011, 12:04
The idea alone that they develop the game based on concoles, and then port it to PC... is giving me the cold dead chills.

I guess that PC doesnt work too well for folks who just want to plug and play anything, instead of judging whther their rig is up to the task and fancy around a lot with graphics-settings...

... yet, PC is inevitably owning the conoles. Consoles are just dumbed down PC's. The only console that has ONE thing over a PC, is the PS3 with its 8-core chip. And that is just about it.

A concole would only be a choice to me when the silly controlelrs can be swapped for a proper mouse and keyboard. And that the games do not react on your input as if you are movig through a pile of cattle secretion.

That is the biggest problem I have with games that were ported TO PC and not made FOR PC...

ZakKa89
17th Jan 2011, 12:08
lol games on xbox and playstation can only support 720p resolution native. That's a difference in 1280x720 (console) resolution with 1920x1200 resolution (or even higher) on pc. That's a HUGE difference. I have a ps3 myself and play PS3 games on the SAME screen I play pc games with. The only games on consoles that support full 1080p resolution are small indie games like fat princess, pixeljunk shooter, limo, that kind of stuff. It's sad that a lot of console players get tricked and think they are playing in full 1080p when it's in fact upscaled 720p.

I cringe everytime I see the pixels and jagged edges on my ps3 games. Same goes with 360, (lended it from a friend).

And don't even get me started on AA, AF and shaders.

If you think console games look the same as on a pc you don't know what you're talking about

Rheinhold
17th Jan 2011, 12:16
lol games on xbox and playstation can only support 720p resolution native. That's a difference in 1280x720 (console) resolution with 1920x1200 resolution (or even higher) on pc. That's a HUGE difference. I have a ps3 myself and play PS3 games on the SAME screen I play pc games with. The only games on concoles that support full 1080p resolution are small indie games like fat princess, pixeljunk shooter, limo, that kind of stuff.

And don't even get me started on AA, AF and shaders.

I cringe everytime I see the pixels and jagged edges on my ps3 games. Same goes with 360, lended it from a friend.

If you think console games look the same as on a pc you don't know what you're talking about

Yeah... true.
That is ONE reason why I think they should never port a game from a console to PC, but develop the PC version on its own.
And I just abpout to have it woth games that do not let themselves be controlled on PC, because they were developed for a console.

But I am getting old now: I start repeating myself... :(

mad825
17th Jan 2011, 13:42
... yet, PC is inevitably owning the conoles. Consoles are just dumbed down PC's. The only console that has ONE thing over a PC, is the PS3 with its 8-core chip. And that is just about it.

I suppose that's being nice, the PS3 doesn't actually have 8 cores as such.

besides modern day CPUs such as the Intel's i7s out performs the CPU on the PS3 without a doubt.

ZakKa89
17th Jan 2011, 14:20
Can't wait for the new sandy brand CPU's. Newell is extremely excited. So am I.

Kvltism
17th Jan 2011, 14:27

Or your PC is pretty mediocre. :D

CoDEllite
17th Jan 2011, 15:48
I payed $250 for my xbox and can play most of the new games that you can play on your fancy pc and then some that you can't (Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Halo Reach). But how much did you have to pay for your fancy pc :) ? Are there any exciting PC exclusives that I'm missing out on? The one that I care most about right now, Minecraft, I can play on my ancient laptop. Crisis 2 is gonna be for xbox, so what games do you need a powerful rig for theses days? Buying/building gaming computer is like a huge waste of money these days. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that analysts propose that this console generation is likely to last at least another 3 years :) .

Fox89
17th Jan 2011, 17:10
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that analysts propose that this console generation is likely to last at least another 3 years

So what you're saying is, we have another three years of console games looking 5 years out of date?

I'm a PC convert, CodEllite. I used to think my PS3 could do no wrong and it was the best thing the world had ever seen...but that was just because I had a mediocre computer. Now I have a good one (Mac Pro bootcamped Win 7), and it is glorious. Even though my graphics card is only a mid-range GTX 285, it easily beats anything the consoles can put out there.

But how much did you have to pay for your fancy pc ?

You get what you pay for. I could pay £100 for a Wii and go get CoD4 on that, but it would look a hell of a lot worse. And you're missing out on an entire genre - played any Empire: Total War, Civilization V or Starcraft II on your Xbox recently? And remind me: how much mod support does your 360 have?

Now don't get me wrong, I love my consoles to bits and there are some games that I prefer to play on them for whatever reason. But when it comes to FPS games, RTS games, or anything where I want to get the absolute maximum graphical performance: I get it for PC. You're right when you say having a good PC is not strictly necessary to experience most great games, but there is no question that the PC will almost always deliver the best experience for any given game.

It's also worth noting that PCs/monitors were capable of running games in what would now be considered 1080p high definition (1920x1024) since about 2004, and can now run games at much higher resolutions than that with ease.

http://xkcd.com/732/

Ashpolt
17th Jan 2011, 17:20
I payed $250 for my xbox and can play most of the new games that you can play on your fancy pc and then some that you can't (Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Halo Reach). But how much did you have to pay for your fancy pc :) ?

"I paid $300 for my clapped out old Skoda, and can drive on exactly the same roads you can. How much did you pay for your Ferrari?"

Oh, as to PC exclusives - let's look at 2010 only to start with. And this isn't anywhere near all of them, just a selection.

Starcraft 2
Civilization V
Napoleon: Total War
Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising
Sins of a Solar Empire: Diplomacy
Heroes of Newerth
Mount & Blade: Warband
WoW: Cataclysm
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
STALKER: Call of Pripyat
ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead
The Ball
Alien Swarm
Killing Floor
Any number of sims that you'll never see on consoles

...And like I said. That's just a small selection of 2010 alone. Looking to 2011, we've got the likes of Shogun 2: Total War, Red Orchestra 2, The Witcher 2, Natural Selection 2, DOTA 2, The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3 (well, probably,) Trackmania 2 (only found out about this while researching this post, awesome), Torchlight 2, and a whole bunch more.

Now before you inevitably say "But I don't care about any of those games!", please consider that most PC gamers aren't going to be losing sleep over not being able to play Halo: Reach or Alan Wake either. Personally, I'm not even that fussed about RDR.

And if you're really determined to talk exclusives, have you seen the comparison picture of each platform's exclusives this year? The 360 is behind every other platform by miles. Personally, I couldn't give a toss about the "war" between the PS3, 360 and Wii - I have all 3 so why should I care? - but as you're such a clear Xbox 360 fanboy, you should probably steer clear of talking about exclusives for the time being, it won't do your point any good.

Fox89
17th Jan 2011, 17:25
please consider that most PC gamers aren't going to be losing sleep over not being able to play Halo: Reach or Alan Wake either.

I can't imagine anyone losing sleep about not being able to play Alan Wake... that game was a travesty.

The Ball
Alien Swarm

Two brilliant examples of what can happen when you have good mod support. The Ball was a total conversion of UT3 and I think Alien Storm was done in the source engine.

CoDEllite
17th Jan 2011, 17:28
...And like I said. That's just a small selection of 2010 alone. Looking to 2011, we've got the likes of Shogun 2: Total War, Red Orchestra 2, The Witcher 2, Natural Selection 2, DOTA 2, The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3 (well, probably,) Trackmania 2 (only found out about this while researching this post, awesome), Torchlight 2, and a whole bunch more.

Now before you inevitably say "But I don't care about any of those games!", please consider that most PC gamers aren't going to be losing sleep over not being able to play Halo: Reach or Alan Wake either. Personally, I'm not even that fussed about RDR.

And if you're really determined to talk exclusives, have you seen the comparison picture of each platform's exclusives this year? The 360 is behind every other platform by miles. Personally, I couldn't give a toss about the "war" between the PS3, 360 and Wii - I have all 3 so why should I care? - but as you're such a clear Xbox 360 fanboy, you should probably steer clear of talking about exclusives for the time being, it won't do your point any good.

Not to rain on your parade but you do know that both Witcher 2 and Stalker 2 are coming out for consoles. And those are basially the only two games on that list that I care for. And are you seriosly kidding about lack of xbox exclusives? Xbox owned all 3 consoles and pc last year in terms of exusive content. And this year is going to be even more epic. Heard of little game called Gears of War 3?

Fox89
17th Jan 2011, 17:34
Not to rain on your parade but you do know that both Witcher 2 and Stalker 2 are coming out for consoles. And those are basially the only two games on that list that I care for. And are you seriosly kidding about lack of xbox exclusives? Xbox owned all 3 consoles and pc this year in terms of exusive content. And next year is going to be even more epic. Heard of little game called Gears of War 3?

I'd love to see sources on your Witcher and S.T.A.L.K.E.R claims. The only thing I found on Witcher suggested that the devs have said it MIGHT come out on consoles, but for now is purely a PC title, and I can only find one news item from VG247 about STALKER being released for all three consoles with no official source.

And he's not kidding about lack of Xbox exclusives. Check out the chart (http://img1.sankakustatic.com/wp-content/gallery/safe-ix/games-of-2011-chart.jpg) for yourself.

mad825
17th Jan 2011, 19:13
Can't wait for the new sandy brand CPU's. Newell is extremely excited. So am I.

if you have enough money to waste buy one then good for you, nothing at the moment beats a dedicated GPU in terms of quality .

Also Gabe just talks a load of crap sometimes, the capitalist swine he is. Seriously look how fat he is! he cannot even get HL2E3 out in time

Ashpolt
17th Jan 2011, 19:30
Not to rain on your parade but you do know that both Witcher 2 and Stalker 2 are coming out for consoles. And those are basially the only two games on that list that I care for. And are you seriosly kidding about lack of xbox exclusives? Xbox owned all 3 consoles and pc last year in terms of exusive content. And this year is going to be even more epic. Heard of little game called Gears of War 3?

Yes, that's one game. Look at the list of 360 exclusives for this year and there are - honestly - about 3. Maybe last year the 360 "owned" in terms of exclusives - though I would strongly debate that (and please bear in mind I own all 3 consoles and a gaming PC, so I have access to all games, exclusive or otherwise) - but this year it's so far behind as to be laughable.

Also, I hadn't heard about The Witcher 2 coming to consoles, nor does wiki list it, nor does amazon. Nor does the official website. (http://buy.thewitcher.com/preorder-premium-en) I found a few announcements of it a while back, but given all the above, I'd say the 360 version has been canned, or at very least PC is a timed exclusive. Stalker 2, fair enough.

Moorpheusl9
17th Jan 2011, 20:23
I will be getting it for the 360, for 2 reasons, 1 of which is slightly more credible than the other:

1. My PC is good, but probably not good enough for DX:HR - why spend lots of money trying to make it work when I could spend far less on the 360 version.

2. Achievements for my 360 gamerscore :D

If the game is ridiculously good, on a par with the first for example, then I might get it on PC too and spend the money upgrading.

ArcR
17th Jan 2011, 20:23
Can't believe that you are entertaining CoD. Boredom huh. We need to pump some life into this place.

JCpies
17th Jan 2011, 21:02

Let's face the facts little boy, a good PC is worth a thousand consoles.

In all seriousness, the 360 is a cheap peice of hardware made by microsoft, they lure you in with big titles like Gears of War and Halo as well as the 'exclusive content' (Which is in fact early access that they pay for). Then the peice of crap breaks down, I've heard my friend complain about the 'red ring of death' a few times.

I have to point out a few things which in my opinion make PC better than consoles;

a.I can play almost any older PC game I want. Yes, I may have to tweak some things and put it into a compatibility mode, but I can play any old games on my brand new PC, or even my 'middle aged' PC.
b. On my PS3, I was dissappointed at not being able to play older PS2 games, instead I can play PS1 games I have to pay a modern price for.
c. Emulators from the internet allow me to play games such as Castlevania from 1986, I'm not really aware of many emulators that allow you to play games like that on consoles.

a. It's a PC. A PC can be a media centre, an office tool, a gaming platform with access to the internet.
b. Consoles do not have the ability to be used as an office tool and online functions can be clunky, often not supporting flash plugins and such.
c. You have to pay to connect to the internet on an Xbox? :nut:

a. Can't play the latest games? Just upgrade your graphics card and you should be good to go.
b. Can't play the latest games? Console outdated now? Oh dear, you're gonna have to buy the newer console.

a. Graphics, if you're a graphics nerd, the 360 won't look as amazing as a high end PC, and can often be 'worse' than on an HD PS3.

a. The controls. Mouse and keyboard are definately more accurate than a controller, but I guess it depends on what you're comfortable with. (I beat my friend in Halo 1 by 23 kills, I used mouse and keyboard, he used 360 controller).

b. Strategy games and others are definately easy to control on PC, because they were made for PC.

I suppose I could go on, but I have an essay to write...

ShadowRatchet6
17th Jan 2011, 21:20
:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Ok wow, first of all. I DO NOT own a high end pc, and as such, will not be getting it for pc. This is only about 360 or PS3, I don't care for the pc at all. I'm leaning towards a PS3 because I like it better, for the graphics and performance over 360 in exclusives, but I did not mean for this to be a war over PC, PS3 and 360.

a. The controls. Mouse and keyboard are definately more accurate than a controller, but I guess it depends on what you're comfortable with. (I beat my friend in Halo 1 by 23 kills, I used mouse and keyboard, he used 360 controller).

It takes skill to use a controller, not just point and click and you're done, but actually have some skill to maintain that hand-eye coordination. I could point and click any day and win. And keyboards are **** for movement. I mean, seriously, WASD? Tiny little keys...Can people just shut up these days? And thanks for some of the nicer peoples' suggestions. I'll wait until retail, but can you still get the augmented edition after release?

JCpies
17th Jan 2011, 21:31
It takes skill to use a controller, not just point and click and you're done, but actually have some skill to maintain that hand-eye coordination. I could point and click any day and win. And keyboards are **** for movement. I mean, seriously, WASD? Tiny little keys...Can people just shut up these days? And thanks for some of the nicer peoples' suggestions. I'll wait until retail, but can you still get the augmented edition after release?

My reply wasn't aimed at you, but you can bear the pain if you wish.

Also, 'point and click and you're done', that's why I like the 'wobbly hand' in Deus Ex 1, but my comment about it being better was more about crushing the fanboys' theory about their consoles being entirely superior in every way, e.g like you said that it takes no skill, you give a valid point, but then some stupid comment about something else, wheras a fanboy would complain without valid points. If you see what I mean.

Srosa
17th Jan 2011, 22:13
I payed $250 for my xbox and can play most of the new games that you can play on your fancy pc and then some that you can't (Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Halo Reach). But how much did you have to pay for your fancy pc :) ? Are there any exciting PC exclusives that I'm missing out on? The one that I care most about right now, Minecraft, I can play on my ancient laptop. Crisis 2 is gonna be for xbox, so what games do you need a powerful rig for theses days? Buying/building gaming computer is like a huge waste of money these days. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that analysts propose that this console generation is likely to last at least another 3 years :) .

Perfectly, this. Love you.

Rindill the Red
17th Jan 2011, 22:41

I payed 700 dollars for my PC two years ago... the first PC I ever bought.

When the next console generation roles around I'll probably want to upgrade the video card... 200 bucks.

Meanwhile, I play all games at a higher resolution and with better graphics. I can use mods for games that have them.

I can play RTS's like CoH:O and Starcraft... MMO's...

Online play is completely free, doesn't cost a thing (other than high speed internet connection).

Middle of the next console generation I may upgrade my RAM and processor... 300 dollars?

The fact is, PC users pay a lot less to a comparable amount to upgrade their comps as console users do buying entirely new consoles.

Also, all of our games are cheaper... cept the ones no one cares about (MW).

Not to mention... it can also be used as a computer for work, school, and hobbies.

Rheinhold
17th Jan 2011, 23:13
Summary:
PC has better graphics
PC is easier to handle
PC is more versatile
PC is costing less money

Where does this leave the OP, really? Look, I am all for PC when it comes to PC vs. Consoles, but the thing is: this thread was bout XBox360 vs. PS3.
That no wise man would get either, is still off-topic.

So if the choice would roughly be XBOX360 vs. PS3... graphic-wise, I'd take the PS3. Grants the extra of being a blu-ray disc player as well.
I really don't see why people would make such a fuss about the Xbox. It is nothing, really. Just a label: 'xbox360'. For the rest it IS a dumbed down PC with lots of downsides.

Not to give you a verbal slap in the face, CoDElite, but you are acting as if your little world contains the absolute truth. Sadly, in this case you are wrong. Dont give arguments: just take a little distance from the discussion, and analyze what has been said in an objective way.
Good luck! :o

ZakKa89
17th Jan 2011, 23:13

Erm actually everybody is talking how the 360 has a lack of exclusives next year. GoW being the only notable one. And GoW sucks

Also, PC had more notable releases this year than the 360... No idea what you're talking about.

And about money, I could build a pc just a little more expensive than a 360 right now which could run multiplatform games at the SAME level of quality of what the 360 has to offer. a resolution of 1280x 720 with no AA and other fancy stuff can be achieved with a cheap budget pc. Not to mention what can be achieved with 500-800 euro right now (that would get you something lightyears ahead of what the current consoles are capable off).

Srosa
17th Jan 2011, 23:23
Online play is completely free, doesn't cost a thing (other than high speed internet connection).

You are not forced to buy a subscription to internet for consoles. Also if you have a wireless device for connection to add to your xbox 360 or ps3 the connection is uber fast, really.

Not to mention... it can also be used as a computer for work, school, and hobbies.

You can use an iPad for that aswell, or even your phone.

ZakKa89
17th Jan 2011, 23:26

So it takes skill to use a controller with aim-assist? But it's easy to use a mouse to just point and click?

Ok go play counterstrike, Quake 3 arena, unreal tournament or whatever shooter on the pc and call me back when you can get at least some headshots. Mouse get's you more and better control which allows for a bigger skill cap between players with skill, and players with no skill. This allows for competitive gameplay and even better: a succesfull e-sport. It's easy to pick up a mouse and play, it's difficult to master.

The controller is just to limited to allow a skillfull player to excell. Nothing wrong with it for some singleplayer games though.

ZakKa89
17th Jan 2011, 23:30
You are not forced to buy a subscription to internet for consoles. Also if you have a wireless device for connection to add to your xbox 360 or ps3 the connection is uber fast, really.

You can use an iPad for that aswell, or even your phone.

I can't use an iPad or a phone to do this: Proffesionally design in Illustrator or Photoshop. Montaging videos in Adobe Premire or Sony Vegas Pro. Text editing and making a presentationfor school is also not really viable. Browsing the net is also much better on the pc. The list goes on, so your argument is invalid, sorry. Are you really comparing iPad's and iPhone's to a pc? Seriously?

And for the xbox 360 you are kind off forced to pay for your xbox live. We get everything what xbox live has to offer for free on the pc, so erm...

Srosa
17th Jan 2011, 23:46
I can't use an iPad or a phone to do this: Proffesionally design in Illustrator or Photoshop. Montaging videos in Adobe Premire or Sony Vegas Pro. Text editing and making a presentationfor school is also not really viable. Browsing the net is also much better on the pc. The list goes on, so your argument is invalid, sorry. Are you really comparing iPad's and iPhone's to a pc? Seriously?

And for the xbox 360 you are kind off forced to pay for your xbox live. We get everything what xbox live has to offer for free on the pc, so erm...

Look what has been done for iPad, (erm iPad 2 soon), there's tone of apps that do extraordinary things already. That said, it doesn't mean I want you to buy it, just saying. Also those kind of stuff you talk about are used often for developers and industries or professionals so you couldn't do it unless you're very rich or willing to pay alot just to have fun imitating artworks' designers paid for that.

You are really forced to drive till the store and buy a sbuscription or someone will shoot you?? That I was talking about.

ShadowRatchet6
18th Jan 2011, 00:18
So it takes skill to use a controller with aim-assist? But it's easy to use a mouse to just point and click?

Ok go play counterstrike, Quake 3 arena, unreal tournament or whatever shooter on the pc and call me back when you can get at least some headshots. Mouse get's you more and better control which allows for a bigger skill cap between players with skill, and players with no skill. This allows for competitive gameplay and even better: a succesfull e-sport. It's easy to pick up a mouse and play, it's difficult to master.

The controller is just to limited to allow a skillfull player to excell. Nothing wrong with it for some singleplayer games though.

I don't use aim assist. At all. I'm not a CoD player to use aim assist. Yes, I have played all of those games and more and I can rack up quite a few headshots. It's very easy to do. "Point, click, shoot." The mouse gets you more control, because it is not very hard to control using the mouse. Go play a shooter on PS3 or Xbox and see how good you are. Without aim assist.

There's an app for that.

FrankCSIS
18th Jan 2011, 00:41
You can use an iPad for that aswell

For the price of an IPad and a 360 anyone here could build you a killer pc. What are you smoking to suggest it is a better combination?

The Pad and the Box are toys you buy because you have money to spare. Most people who own one or both also own a pc. Not high end, perhaps, but they do own at least one. Don't kid yourselves into believing it's a sensible alternative, money-wise.

Fox89
18th Jan 2011, 00:58
Go play a shooter on PS3 or Xbox and see how good you are. Without aim assist

Wow! You can turn aim assist off!? I thought it was hard coded into the game because of how comparatively imprecise analog sticks are! :p

Piflik
18th Jan 2011, 01:12
I don't have a gaming PC and don't regret it...sure...there are many games, that are exclusive for PC and the graphics might be nicer, but the amount of games form my PS3 is enough for me...I have neither the time, nor the money to buy every game I find interesting for PS3 alone...having to chose between the many PC games, too, wouldn't really bring me that much of a benefit...also I don't have to fight with incompatibilities or DRMs inflicted on the customer...when I buy a game for my PS3 I know it will run, no ifs, no buts...when I buy for PC I have to ponder about the system requirements, add a certain percentage to what the publisher said the system requirements would be to get the real deal, download and install some conflicting drivers, get annoying CTDs and wait for the first patch to be released to be finally able to play the game I bought a fortnight ago...and that is, if I get the game to start at all because of restricting and insulting DRM...seriously...if I had to rely on a PC for gaming, I would have quit playing games completely a while ago...I stopped caring for PC gaming when Maxis introduced the Online-Registration-DRM with Spore...

AlexOfSpades
18th Jan 2011, 01:50
I thought the thread was about PLAYSTATION 3 or XBOX.

I dont see why people are talking about PC.

ShadowRatchet6
18th Jan 2011, 02:45
I thought the thread was about PLAYSTATION 3 or XBOX.

I dont see why people are talking about PC.

This. Thank you. At least someone understands.

reticulate
18th Jan 2011, 03:19
This is one argument that will never die.

Live and let live, I reckon. People value different aspects of their entertainment experience, and one of the benefits to a multiplatform is that nobody loses.

I said earlier, for instance, that I love sitting on the couch with a beer and playing a game on my 360. A couple of my friends have pretty impressive PC rigs for playing most of the same titles. Who's wrong in that circumstance? Neither of us, and it's never been a point of argument.

Granted we're, you know, adults, but whatever.

Nitrobation
18th Jan 2011, 03:55
okay...i read the first page, and i would love to say that i own a PC and PS3.

This game and any game will look way better on pc than any console based on 6 year old hardware.

i'll list the specs on the ps3 and 360.

starting with the ps3:

CPU: Cell Processor

* PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
* 1 VMX vector unit per core
* 512KB L2 cache
* 7 x SPE @3.2GHz
* 7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
* 7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
* * 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS

GPU: RSX @550MHz

* 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance
* Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels
* Multi-way programmable parallel floating point shader pipelines

Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-base processing)

Memory:

* 256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz
* 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth:

* Main RAM: 25.6GB/s
* VRAM: 22.4GB/s
* RSX: 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)
* SB: 2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)

SECONDLY 360:

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU

* 3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz each
* 2 hardware threads per core; 6 hardware threads total
* 1 VMX-128 vector unit per core; 3 total
* 128 VMX-128 registers per hardware thread
* 1 MB L2 cache

Custom ATI Graphics Processor

* 500 MHz
* 10 MB embedded DRAM
* 48-way parallel floating-point dynamically-scheduled shader pipelines
* Unified shader architecture

Memory

* 512 MB GDDR3 RAM
* 700 MHz DDR
* Unified memory architecture

Memory Bandwidth

* 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
* 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
* 21.6 GB/s front-side bus

PS3 is clocked faster than the 360. Also PS3 supports PhysX. So you'd get better quality games on ps3, if produced by Sony. Other than that every 360 game will look like a PS3 game with NO Anti-aliasing or other hardware configs to make games look better. hahah so if you were smart 6 years ago, and saved all the money you've spent on consoles and games, you'd have well over 3000 dollars to buy a high end computer with probably 2000 dollars left over.

BigBoss
18th Jan 2011, 04:12

Actually, witcher 2 is no longer listed as a console title on amazon or gamestop.

mad825
18th Jan 2011, 04:42
Actually, witcher 2 is no longer listed as a console title on amazon or gamestop.

means nothing.

there could be a number of reason why they removed it from their site, they be doubting that it will come to the console or they realised that there still has been no official announced yet and removed it to prevent confusion/orders that cannot be guaranteed

until CD Projekt RED comes-up with a decision, it may or may not be ported.

Jerion
18th Jan 2011, 04:46
Really? PS3 has half a gig of memory? That's terrible by current PC standards. I knew 360 was that limited, but...

reticulate
18th Jan 2011, 06:03
Really? PS3 has half a gig of memory? That's terrible by current PC standards. I knew 360 was that limited, but...

They're both fairly comparable devices. I'd say the PS3 has an edge where developers are exclusive, but multiplats have largely been developed with the 360 as the lead machine.

All that nonsense about 'teh powah of teh Cell' is marketing. When it comes down to it you've got two PowerPC-driven multicore machines with 2006-era GPU's and a relatively small pool of memory to work with. The fact that we see pretty tremendous graphics coming out of them is a testament to the benefits of single hardware specifications and a fair bit of developer support from both Microsoft and Sony.

singularity
18th Jan 2011, 06:07
I'll likely be purchasing for the PC... as soon as I get some info on some system requirements...
But a little more on topic:

I own all 3 consoles as well and love them to death (yeah, I'm weird like that). Normally, I side with the 360 for a lot of my games -- it was the first of the "new" consoles that I purchased, and the current gen console that I own the most games for. I like the Xbox because I believe XBL is a superior system to Playstation Online (even though XBL costs a whopping $60 a year...) and there are generally more players online with the 360, and they tend to get a lot of timed exclusives and exclusive stuff... because Microsoft is greedy like that. Also for the controller, I find the off-set analog sticks and triggers to be more comfortable for the 360, but only slightly. However, you can't deny that the PS3 has some much sharper graphics, assuming you have the TV and associated cords to handle those higher resolutions. Also, their online service is free and the controller is one that is very intuitive (seeing as how it hasn't changed since PS1 days...)

However, lets look at it. Deus Ex HR will not have a multiplayer component -- and if it does it will likely be a community mod, which console players will never have access to. Right there, most of my main points for the 360 go out the window. You won't have to worry about how many people are playing the game online, and any DLC will be single player-based -- so it doesn't really matter if you get it early or not (and come on... you shouldn't be paying for DLC anyways).

Between the consoles, for DXHR, I'd go with PS3 -- assuming you have a high-end TV and an HDMI cord (etc.) to play with and you like the PS3 controller.

reticulate
18th Jan 2011, 06:20
and they tend to get a lot of timed exclusives and exclusive stuff... because Microsoft is greedy like that.

I never understood this particular line of thought, as Sony was king of timed exclusives prior to the PS3 and it was never considered greedy, just common sense. In fact, their support of third parties is one of the big reasons Sony won out over Nintendo (look to the PS1 era and the absolute dearth of decent third party games for the N64).

Having talked with people who work in games development the suggestion seemed to be that Sony abandoned their previous strategy of purchasing timed exclusives with the PS3. Microsoft just took the opportunity to pick up the slack. Anecdotal, sure, but the evidence is apparent that Sony wanted to focus more of their efforts on supporting their first and second-party developers.

That's why you've got guys like Naughty Dog, Insomniac, etc doing big AAA PS3 exclusives while the big guys like EA, Activision and THQ doing multiplats. Rockstar are another great example - they went from a PS2 timed exclusive studio to releasing everything multiplat and providing exclusive DLC to the 360.

ZakKa89
18th Jan 2011, 14:57
I can't argue with somebody who wants to tell me 'there's an app for that' after I tell him I can't professionally work with adobe programs (Premiere, Illustrator, Photoshop) on an iPad or iPhone. That's just ridiculous.

And people still don't get what makes the mouse better than a controller it seems. It's not about difficulty, it's about CONTROL. I tried to explain this in my previous post. If you still want to come with "it's more difficult to play with controller so it requires more skill" You just don't get it, and need to read my previous post again about skillcap, practise and competitive play. Come with an counterargument to what I said before, or shut up, because repeating the same 'argument' I already replied to is stupid.

Go try using a controller to control windows... Imagine your analog stick as your mouse. It would get forever for your pointer to get from the windows start button to the upper right corner of the screen. That's just one example, the video of Pretentious Old Men is enough proof as well...

CoDEllite
18th Jan 2011, 15:49
I don't have a gaming PC and don't regret it...sure...there are many games, that are exclusive for PC and the graphics might be nicer, but the amount of games form my PS3 is enough for me...I have neither the time, nor the money to buy every game I find interesting for PS3 alone...having to chose between the many PC games, too, wouldn't really bring me that much of a benefit...also I don't have to fight with incompatibilities or DRMs inflicted on the customer...when I buy a game for my PS3 I know it will run, no ifs, no buts...when I buy for PC I have to ponder about the system requirements, add a certain percentage to what the publisher said the system requirements would be to get the real deal, download and install some conflicting drivers, get annoying CTDs and wait for the first patch to be released to be finally able to play the game I bought a fortnight ago...and that is, if I get the game to start at all because of restricting and insulting DRM...seriously...if I had to rely on a PC for gaming, I would have quit playing games completely a while ago...I stopped caring for PC gaming when Maxis introduced the Online-Registration-DRM with Spore...

:thumb: Exactly this my friend. Lets see how the PC elitists respond to that. I'll take "plug and play" over "plug, upgrade card, patch ... and hope for the best" without a doubt. There is just no fun (in terms of convenience or ease of use) in pc gaming.

St. Mellow
18th Jan 2011, 16:28
^ I'll take those small inconveniences over all the disadvantages of consoles any day, thank you very much. That said, I have nothing against console gamers. I played consoles for a long time. But little by little, I abandoned them completely. All the great, classic games are playable by emulator, and it's extremely rare for a console-exclusive that I care about not to be eventually released on PC. Even then, rarer still is finding a console-exclusive that I want. :D And emulators will catch up someday. It's not like games are going to run out. I don't even have the time to play all the games I'd like to. So, in conclusion, I stick to PC, but I'm no console hater. Some people prefer them, for whatever reasons, just like I prefer this, for my own.

Ashpolt
18th Jan 2011, 17:06
:thumb: Exactly this my friend. Lets see how the PC elitists respond to that. I'll take "plug and play" over "plug, upgrade card, patch ... and hope for the best" without a doubt. There is just no fun (in terms of convenience or ease of use) in pc gaming.

Exactly the kind of response I'd expect from someone who knows absolutely nothing about PC gaming. I got a new PC in October last year. Prior to that, I hadn't upgraded my PC at all in 3 years, and it was still running most modern games without a hitch - certainly looking better than their console equivalents, in the case of multiplatform games. I only upgraded because I wanted DX11, Windows 7, and the ability to run games completely maxed out. If you choose right in the first place, PC is plug and play. No PC gamer who has even half a clue what he's doing will ever have to worry about system requirements, and certainly not on a game-by-game basis.

Yes, you have to install the games, but a lot of PS3 games require you to do that anyway, and on XBox360 you pretty much need to install to hard drive if you want to have a hope of hearing your game over the console's disc drive. It's also worth noting that console installs are significantly slower than PC installs: Gran Turismo 5, for instance, was about a 4Gb install that took 40-45 minutes: a 4Gb install on PC would take 5-10 minutes. If that. (I know your 360 fanboy mode will kick in here and just claim "lol PS3 sucks" as I used a PS3 game as an example: I've had a similar experience installing 360 games though.)

And, of course, console games also require patches now. So you can't use that argument against PC gaming anymore.

As for drivers etc - I only update mine if I have issues with a new game, which is very rare. I'd say I upgrade my graphics card drivers maybe twice a year, and it takes 5-10 minutes each time - including the time it takes to download the drivers. Not exactly a big deal.

And DRM? Only Ubisoft used really draconian DRM, and they've dropped that now anyway, after using it on maybe 5 games. Most games require online activation, but - wow, big deal. My PC is permanently connected to the internet anyway, and activation takes seconds. It's simply another button click.

At the end of the day, the "inconvenience" of PC gaming (much like the price) is vastly overstated - solely by those who don't understand PC gaming. And when you compare it to the benefits - better controls, mods, better prices (especially during the Steam sales - can you get Riddick: Dark Athena on console for £3? GTA IV for £5? No, I didn't think so) not to mention a far, far wider variety of games - that little bit of "inconvenience" is so insignificant as to be almost nonexistent.

But here's an idea: rather than rage against the formats you don't have, complaining about the PS3 and PC, how about you just keep quiet and enjoy what you do have? If you were really confident and secure in your choice of platform, you wouldn't feel the need to attack the others.

This message bought to you by The Idorts Foundation for those who have all the consoles and a gaming PC, and so are actually in a position to judge the relative merits of each one.

ZakKa89
18th Jan 2011, 17:22
CoDElite you never respond to any of our responses so don't give us the 'let's see how the pc-elitists respond to that.' We always provide arguments and are willing to write large walls of text because that's how passionate we are about gaming. You on the other hand, never seem to respond to any of our arguments and are just repeating others and yourself.

Irate_Iguana
18th Jan 2011, 17:28
So, are you guys feeding the trolls ironically, like some kind of forum-hipsters, or are you that bored?

pha
18th Jan 2011, 17:32
I sort of envy the "plug and play - don't worry about specs or drivers" structure of consoles, and I love the fact they greatly enlarged the gaming industry, but you gotta remember that there are many people who don't find it inconvenient to "struggle" with drivers, patches, incompatibility etc. It's just part of the fun, and it greatly increases the possibilities. I'm not a modder per se, but for instance I tinkered with Mass Effect 2's famous coalesced.ini file for many fun additions to the game. Feel free to try it on your 360 where Microsoft Brother is watching you.

Sure, every once in a while there's this console exclusive which makes me jealous, or a PC game left to rot by incompetent devs who prefer to play with their pickles instead of fixing gamebreaking bugs, but no sweat since there's no obligation to buy and play everything in the market. There's already a huge variety of great games from every genre, not to mention backward compatibility and emulators as [tag] said which increase the possibilities even more. I already have a huge backlog on my shelves and in my Steam account, and not playing Alan Wake or RDR won't kill me.

(especially during the Steam sales - can you get Riddick: Dark Athena on console for £3? GTA IV for £5? No, I didn't think so)

Inb4: "They are cheap because they are worse than their console counterparts/every PC gamer pirates them."

to Irate: This beats discussing three and a half game mechanics we've heard about, don'tyouthink?

ZakKa89
18th Jan 2011, 17:36
So, are you guys feeding the trolls ironically, like some kind of forum-hipsters, or are you that bored?

Well yes, I'm bored. There isn't a lot else to discuss and we just need to educate these kids. :D

BigBoss
18th Jan 2011, 19:26

lol

St. Mellow
18th Jan 2011, 20:13
This beats discussing three and a half game mechanics we've heard about, don'tyouthink?

QFT. :lol:

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/5323128/I-FEED-TROLLS-IRONICALLY.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Hipster-Kitty

Ashpolt
18th Jan 2011, 20:29

I was very, very bored at work. That's my only excuse for responding seriously to CoDellite. I'm very, very sorry. It shan't happen again.

Unless I get bored at work again.

So, tomorrow then.

Piflik
18th Jan 2011, 23:49
And DRM? Only Ubisoft used really draconian DRM, and they've dropped that now anyway, after using it on maybe 5 games. Most games require online activation, but - wow, big deal. My PC is permanently connected to the internet anyway, and activation takes seconds. It's simply another button click.

Big deal or not...that's not the point for me...(and by the time that 'feature' was introduced, my PC wasn't connected to the net at all...I had a separate machine for that)...I think it is insulting. As a legal customer I have jump through one ineffective hoop after the other that should prevent piracy, but really don't even slow them down...you can all play sheep as long as you want and be treated like an ass for having the audacity to buy their product instead of pirating it, I myself prefer to own the products I buy and don't pay for a service to be able to play them.

Ashpolt
19th Jan 2011, 00:28
As far as I'm concerned, if it doesn't affect my playing experience, I don't really care. Online activation, like I said, is just one click: my PC is always connected to the net, so I don't need to do anything beyond click a button and wait a few seconds. Kick up a fuss about the principle if you like, but I honestly don't see that being a hardship, and I certainly don't see it as me being "treated like an ass."

Systems that need you permanently connected to the net to play, however, are another matter, as even the most stable net connection will occasionally falter / drop packets. If I'm to be kicked out of the game every time I lose connection for a second - even in an offline, single player game - then I have a problem with it, which is one of the resons I didn't buy any of the Ubisoft titles that used it, and won't buy any (from any publisher / developer) that come out in the future. That is where it crosses the line into being genuinely inconvenient for the customer, and the point at which your principles have some kind of justification to back them up. You've got to pick your battles: rage at everything and you'll be branded a reactionary and never be listened to about anything (this forum being perfect proof of that, though I doubt we would've been listened to anyway.) Pick your battles and complain about things that actually matter* though, and maybe you'll get somewhere.

*As far as gaming goes, obviously. We're not talking life and death here in any instance, before any smartass decides to pick up on that one.

FrankCSIS
19th Jan 2011, 00:34
Plug and play indeed. Let's never mention my XBox 360 is the fourth unit I have received from microsoft, after all previous three have broken down. Let's never mention that Oblivion and Dead Rising would consistently crash after twenty minutes of gameplay on the first two I sent back. Let's never mention Microsoft pretended it was a minor issue, while in a single night I had gathered over a thousand posts from across the globe of people experiencing the same issue. It only took a class-action lawsuit for them to honor a guarantee for longer than 30 days. Let's never mention this fourth unit I have, I cracked open myself and reworked some of the soldering job. Let's pretend I didn't have to purchase the biggest cooling system supported by the console to have it run smoothly. And let's ignore the fact that every hour or so it freezes, no matter which game it is I play.

Four units out of four they have shipped me have done this so far. I have actually been contemplating buying a new one this christmas, as they were liquidating the newer generation for 149$, but then I would have felt silly for the rest of my life for buying the same console twice.

I very much enjoy the gaming hours it has given me, but its hardware is a joke. Because of its non-moddable nature there's hardly anything I can personally do about it, except pick-up the phone and complain. And I hate the telephone.

Vasarto
19th Jan 2011, 01:18
Xbox 360..

ONLY because I know my computer will not be able to play it and Its not my computer its my parents computer and
I would have to schedule time around their wanting to use the computer so being able to play it whenever I want would make me enjoy it better!

Shralla
19th Jan 2011, 03:28
I myself prefer to own the products I buy and don't pay for a service to be able to play them.

And pray tell, exactly WHAT service do you have to pay for to be able to play PC games?

CoDEllite
19th Jan 2011, 04:07
;1555336']And emulators will catch up someday. Yeah, good luck waiting for the emulators to catch up to play Red Dead Redemption or Uncharted 2 (as much as it kills me to admit it's one of the few exclusives I would want to buy ps3 (if it was on sale for $50 lol) for so I'm not a total xbox fanboy :) )

JCpies
19th Jan 2011, 06:46
Yeah, good luck waiting for the emulators to catch up to play Red Dead Redemption or Uncharted 2 (as much as it kills me to admit it's one of the few exclusives I would want to buy ps3 (if it was on sale for $50 lol) for so I'm not a total xbox fanboy :) )

Maybe this would be more entertaining if you actually came up with a good argument instead of repeating your case of 'PS3 and PC suck Xbox all the way'.

Piflik
19th Jan 2011, 13:02
And pray tell, exactly WHAT service do you have to pay for to be able to play PC games?

Gaming was a service when it first started. You went to the arcades, put a quarter into a machine and were able to play until you died a specific number of times. Then came the glorious time, when gaming was a product. You went to the shop, got the game, and it was yours. Nobody could take that away from you and you could do with it, whatever the hell you wanted, since it was yours. Install it, play it, give it to a friend, sell it, whatever...Publishers want to reverse that process and are right in the middle of doing so. When you now buy a game, it is not yours anymore. You bought the permission to rent the game. If you want to install it, you have to ask. If you want to de-install it, you better tell, or you will not be able to install it again at a later time. If you want to play it, you have to ask. If you upgrade your PC, you have to ask and if you don't have a valid reason, your SOL and the gamedisc is a 50$ coaster...if your connection doesn't work momentarily, the servers are down or the company is broke, you cannot play 'your' game.

I can accept MMOs to be a service, but Singleplayer Games have to stay products imo...thankfully console games still are...

(Note: I am exaggerating...but only a little bit)

JCpies
19th Jan 2011, 19:19
Install it, play it, give it to a friend, sell it, whatever...Publishers want to reverse that process and are right in the middle of doing so.

I can still buy PC games as a physical copy... It's not like the PSP Go which limits you to downloads...

When you now buy a game, it is not yours anymore. You bought the permission to rent the game.

On Steam you still own the game, you don't lose acces after a limited time. Neither do you pay on a set basis...

...if your connection doesn't work momentarily, the servers are down or the company is broke, you cannot play 'your' game.

I'm pretty sure that once the game is installed to your PC, you don't need a connection to play it. (Apart from the online features).

I have a physical copy of Mirror's Edge on my PS3 and a non-physical copy of Mirror's Edge on PC. Just because it's on the PC it doesn't make it any less of a product than the PS3 version.

I think you're confused. Steam is a service, the game itself is not a service.

Ashpolt
19th Jan 2011, 19:51
I think you're confused. Steam is a service, the game itself is not a service.

Technically he's right, and it is: read the EULA whenever you install a new game and you'll see that.

But technically the XBox 360 and PS3 - not the games, the consoles - have this same clause in their EULAs as well. You're not buying the console, you're buying the right to use it. So while technically Steam could shut down one day and stop you from playing your games, technically Microsoft or Sony could demand that you return your console to them immediately.

Of course neither of these things will happen: well, Steam will shut down at some point, but I'm confident that it will be sufficiently long enough away that I won't care about losing my games, and I'm also confident that there will be some form of compensation (e.g. they'll unlock the licenses for the games, which by this point will be ancient and not earning anyone any money any way.) Worrying about the possibility of Steam shutting down is really just looking for reasons to worry, IMO.

Piflik
19th Jan 2011, 20:49
If you want, you can read this (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/7691-Experienced-Points-The-EA-Games-Service)...it is a bit more in depth on the issue.

JCpies
19th Jan 2011, 21:05
Oh I see, you copied your post from there. Did you write the original? just wondering.

Piflik
19th Jan 2011, 22:52
I didn't copy, I remembered reading that article half a year ago and went back to find it to supplement my post.

Rindill the Red
20th Jan 2011, 04:18
Yeah, good luck waiting for the emulators to catch up to play Red Dead Redemption or Uncharted 2 (as much as it kills me to admit it's one of the few exclusives I would want to buy ps3 (if it was on sale for $50 lol) for so I'm not a total xbox fanboy :) )

Uncharted 2 and Red Dead are not valid reasons for buying a PS3... really, you aren't missing much. Gameplay-wise they're bland, and in terms of story-line... you want a good story go watch a good movie or read a good book, because they're entirely linear and cut-scene based.

Shralla
20th Jan 2011, 06:06
I disagree with everything you just said.

BigBoss
20th Jan 2011, 07:35
Uncharted 2 and Red Dead are not valid reasons for buying a PS3... really, you aren't missing much. Gameplay-wise they're bland, and in terms of story-line... you want a good story go watch a good movie or read a good book, because they're entirely linear and cut-scene based.

Not the smartest response on the thread......

ZakKa89
20th Jan 2011, 07:48

I agree uncharted 2 isn't that special gameplaywise. Terrible, easy puzzels but some fun shooting and platforming. The story is better than most crap coming out of hollywood partly because of the way it's presented. Terrific voiceacting and cutscenes and some unforgettable scripted events imo. I think the ps3 right now is worth it for Killzone, Uncharted 2, Fat Princess, pixeljunk shooter and maybe mgs4. I didn't like red dead redemption that much either, but haven't played it a lot.

Srosa
20th Jan 2011, 14:07

You're right, infact: books and movies reload new stories once you see them again, dispite games... LOL.

Being sarcastic, above.

Srosa
20th Jan 2011, 14:12
I didn't like red dead redemption that much either, but haven't played it a lot.

Maybe it's time to get more in depht with it and take a closer look of what you have missed in order to express a better judgment of the game because, I, which played it 'till end, assure you that IT IS worth playing, not much for the annoying and confusing multiplayer experience, but for its freedome of movement and very nice digital acting. Also, DX:HR will also have cutscenes which will repeat at no end if you'll replay the game lots of times.

St. Mellow
20th Jan 2011, 14:36
Red Dead Redemption or Uncharted 2

Let me try and care about two games I have basically no interest in.

Didn't work. :D

ZakKa89
20th Jan 2011, 14:38
Maybe it's time to get more in depht with it and take a closer look of what you have missed in order to express a better judgment of the game because, I, which played it 'till end, assure you that IT IS worth playing, not much for the annoying and confusing multiplayer experience, but for its freedome of movement and very nice digital acting. Also, DX:HR will also have cutscenes which will repeat at no end if you'll replay the game lots of times.

I'll try again when it comes out on pc with mod tools. Right now it looks too much like gta in the wild west for me.

AlexOfSpades
20th Jan 2011, 15:08
I dont know if just a few games makes an entire console worth buying.

If i'd buy a console, i'd buy the Xbox because it has a lot of cool games + the kinect thingy.

I had a real lot of fun playing Gears of War 2 over my friend's house. That game is cool 8)

BigBoss
20th Jan 2011, 18:26
I only ever buy like one or two games for my ps3 each year which are the exclusives, but they are usually the best experiences I have and are always my choice for game of the year (Metal gear solid 4 '08, Uncharted 2 '09, Heavy rain '10....) But the rest of the time i'm playing xbox. This trend will probably continue this year as well with last guardian(because we have NO idea when dxhr is comin out)

ShadowRatchet6
21st Jan 2011, 02:46
Wow. I started this, didn't I? I never thought that a "PC vs. Consoles" war would happen, but I just wanted opinions on which CONSOLE version to get. That's what this thread is about (or is supposed to be about).

Shralla
21st Jan 2011, 03:27
I'll try again when it comes out on pc with mod tools. Right now it looks too much like gta in the wild west for me.

Because that's a legitimate reason to not give it a chance. Good luck with that PC release three years down the line.

Rindill the Red
21st Jan 2011, 03:56
I disagree with everything you just said.

Not the smartest response on the thread......

You're right, infact: books and movies reload new stories once you see them again, dispite games... LOL.

Being sarcastic, above.

What did you find wrong with my statements?

1. Red Dead Redemption and Uncharted 2 are linear bland third person shooters
2. Red Dead Redemption and Uncharted 2 have story-lines that are completely linear and cut-scene based.
3. The only consistently praised thing about both games are the visuals and the story-lines.

For a good linear pre-defined story you should read a good book and have your imagination provide amazing visuals, or watch a good movie.

A good movie and a good book cost what? 15$ each, being extremely generous... so that's 30$.

PS3 + Red Dead + Uncharted 2 = 300 + 60 + 60 = 420$.

Tell me, which is the better option?

BigBoss
21st Jan 2011, 05:17
But can you wander from page to page back and forth in a book and have it still make sense like you can wander the world of red dead? If a story is any good, it has to have SOME linearity to it, otherwise it's just nonsense.

JCpies
21st Jan 2011, 07:36
Wow. I started this, didn't I? I never thought that a "PC vs. Consoles" war would happen, but I just wanted opinions on which CONSOLE version to get. That's what this thread is about (or is supposed to be about).

The trolling takes over everything it touches.

reticulate
21st Jan 2011, 07:49

I really enjoyed Red Dead, but I get that Rockstar's approach tends to divide people. I certainly think they tightened up a lot of the mechanics over GTAIV.

And I definitely think there's a place for linear, scripted games. Just like there's a place for emergent sandbox games, or puzzle games, or poker games or whatever.

Fox89
21st Jan 2011, 08:48
For a good linear pre-defined story you should read a good book and have your imagination provide amazing visuals, or watch a good movie.

No, I'm sorry. There is nothing wrong at all with a linear game broken up by cutscenes. I love them, and much prefer them for the most part than books and movies. I also prefer that method of story delivery over anything else games offer. It's a different style of game which may not appeal to you but does to someone like me, and Uncharted/Red Dead are top of their class.

Games are played for different reasons. Sometimes you want escapism, sometimes you want an adrenaline rush, and sometimes you want to experience a good story. Games like Uncharted and Final Fantasy make the story the main reason to play and build the gameplay around that. I know to you cutscenes may seem archaic and unnecessary, but to others they are a reward for the gameplay. I personally like having a nice lengthy cutscene every so often, a bit of downtime in between bits of play where the story gets moved along.

Heck, look at Heavy Rain. Another great example of putting the story first, that was just one long interactive cutscene, but it's still a game and a good one at that.

A good movie and a good book cost what? 15$ each

Plus the DVD/Blu-ray player presuming you want to watch the movie again. And a movie will give you 2 hours per watch at the outside, Uncharted 2 will give you 8-12 hours per playthrough before you even start multiplayer.

Pretentious Old Man.
21st Jan 2011, 23:46
http://www.atomix.vg/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/bob_kotick.jpg

/thread

BigBoss
22nd Jan 2011, 04:05
I wouldn't piss on that man if he was on fire

masume21
22nd Jan 2011, 05:46
No contest: PC

Romeo
22nd Jan 2011, 09:02
The PS3 is more powerful than the 360 - that's not up for debate - but for some reason, ports usually end up looking better, and running better, on the 360. I don't know why, just always seems to work out that way...

Pretentious Old Man.
22nd Jan 2011, 11:24
The PS3 is more powerful than the 360 - that's not up for debate - but for some reason, ports usually end up looking better, and running better, on the 360. I don't know why, just always seems to work out that way...

It's because the 360 and PC share roughly the same architecture by comparison to the PS3, so devs typically take the 360 as the lead platform for a multiplatform release (it's also, coincidentally, where most of the sales happen to lie).

I know, it would make better games for everyone if the PC version was the lead, but hey.

Rindill the Red
22nd Jan 2011, 19:57
It's because the 360 and PC share roughly the same architecture by comparison to the PS3, so devs typically take the 360 as the lead platform for a multiplatform release (it's also, coincidentally, where most of the sales happen to lie).

I know, it would make better games for everyone if the PC version was the lead, but hey.

I disagree.

When you have nearly equivalent hardware, it's always best to design for the lowest common denominator (the 360). If the PC version was the lead... it'd be great on the PC, but it would suck on the consoles.

Vorru
22nd Jan 2011, 21:44
I disagree.

When you have nearly equivalent hardware, it's always best to design for the lowest common denominator (the 360). If the PC version was the lead... it'd be great on the PC, but it would suck on the consoles.

This.

And to answer the actual topic.
Were I to buy HR for a console, it would be PS3, mostly because I don't own an XBox.
I'd like to see some comparison footage though.

St. Mellow
22nd Jan 2011, 23:33
If the PC version was the lead... it'd be great on the PC, but it would suck on the consoles.

And the problem with this is...? :rasp:

Vorru
23rd Jan 2011, 00:17

Money, quite simply.
A huge part of the costs that come from making a game are covered with console sales.
It's a lot more expensive to make a game now compared to, for example, when DX was made.
Focusing development primarily for PC would require extra work for downgrading visuals etc for the console versions. And more work means more money required and hence, more sales needed to cover the cost.
Yes, as a PC gamer I see the possible pros in that scenario, but am afraid that larger focus on visuals would draw too much money and the stories of the games would be as deep as in the original GTA.

TL;DR : It's too big of a risk, and could actually degrade either the quality or amount of games.

St. Mellow
23rd Jan 2011, 00:20
That makes perfect sense and all... but I was being facetious. See: :rasp:

Vorru
23rd Jan 2011, 02:16
And after 10 hours of work reading and posting with my mobile, I'm too tired to see the obvious.

My apologies :)

Ephemeral
23rd Jan 2011, 03:03
What annoys me the most about this whole debate is the cost of a PC is always massively exaggerated.

Just about everyone relatively well off has a desktop PC. When you're talking about a gaming PC, it's not the total price you should be looking at but the incremental increase or upgrade cost. CPUs nowadays rarely hold games back at all. A Core 2 Duo with a powerful graphics card will perform very well with almost every modern game. Everyone nowadays with even a semi-modern PC has 4GB RAM. Monitor costs obviously aren't factored in. So, all you really need is a semi-modern graphics card for some $200-300 to get most modern games playing at 1080p and above, with some anti-aliasing. That's less than what a basic 360 goes for and gets you far crisper image with over 2 times the pixel density and twice the framerate that a 30 FPS TV can provide.

Now if that's not a sweet deal, I'm not sure what is.

Romeo
23rd Jan 2011, 05:30
You can get a decent computer for $300? Hell, I need to move. The cheapest computer in the flyers these days (Which isn't at the specs you just listed) starts at just under $400 here. In comparison, and Xbox mid-range model can be had for $270 here, with two games included. Haven't looked at the PS3, but supposedly it has come down in price too.

Ephemeral
23rd Jan 2011, 07:30
You can get a decent computer for $300? Hell, I need to move. The cheapest computer in the flyers these days (Which isn't at the specs you just listed) starts at just under $400 here. In comparison, and Xbox mid-range model can be had for $270 here, with two games included. Haven't looked at the PS3, but supposedly it has come down in price too.

You didn't read what I wrote did you?

Rheinhold
23rd Jan 2011, 13:55
Where that boils down to, is that if you want your current PC to give the same visuals as the XBOX360, the needed upgrades will cost less then buying that XBOX360.

Buying an equivalent PC from scratch will cost more then the XBOX360. yet if you buy a higher-end gaming rig (say, anywhere above the 1000 euros), you can all modern games on that for a looong time. Longer then itll take for the XBOX360 to get replaced. Once that replacement gets replaced, THEN it is time for some upgrades on your rig, that will be about the same price as the new 4th gen XBOX...

Yet this reasoning leaves one particularly interesting part of the picture out of the question. All people I know that have an XBOX (or PS3) are ALSO having a desktop PC. Fact of life.
When people are buying a new low-end machine (450 bucks) and a XBOX360 (270 bucks), they have the same functionalities in total, but are having worse graphics and sstuff liek that then the bloke who just spends his 720 bucks on a gaming PC...

CoDEllite
23rd Jan 2011, 15:06
You didn't read what I wrote did you? He is not part of the glorious PC gaming master race.

What annoys me the most about this whole debate is the cost of a PC is always massively exaggerated.

Just about everyone relatively well off has a desktop PC. When you're talking about a gaming PC, it's not the total price you should be looking at but the incremental increase or upgrade cost. CPUs nowadays rarely hold games back at all. A Core 2 Duo with a powerful graphics card will perform very well with almost every modern game. Everyone nowadays with even a semi-modern PC has 4GB RAM. Monitor costs obviously aren't factored in. So, all you really need is a semi-modern graphics card for some $200-300 to get most modern games playing at 1080p and above, with some anti-aliasing. That's less than what a basic 360 goes for and gets you far crisper image with over 2 times the pixel density and twice the framerate that a 30 FPS TV can provide.

Now if that's not a sweet deal, I'm not sure what is.

WOW. Thats so cheap! So this means I just need to buy one of those crappy HP computers that my local bestbuy is always advetising for around $600 and then get a decent graphics card for another $300 (and should probably have just enough cash left over to pay the tech guys to install it for me as I wouldn't dare tinker around inside my computer by myself). And no need for better then retail power supply or a good fan because that would be beyond the budget right? Lets just hope the graphics card doesn't melt within the first couple of months so better that I only game for 1 hour at a time. So with just under $1000 I would be set to play Deus Ex HR or some of those exciting PC exclusives... strategy or point-click adventure games. Yeah, it is totally worth it to buy a gaming rig for $1000. I don't even know why people persist in wasting there money on those underpowered consoles when so much fun goodness can be had for $1000? Thanks for clearing it up for me guys :) .
PS: And console games are SO expensive. It's not like I could be able to buy too many of them for that $1000 (even if buying mostly used) in the 2-3 years until the end of this console generation.
PS2: Oh, I forgot about a monitor :( . Maybe I should buy the cheapest biggest monitor in the store? Maybe the fact that it is made by some small korean company won't mean that it will break within a year or so. Cause I really don't feel like spending more than $150 on a monitor.

ZakKa89
23rd Jan 2011, 15:27
CoDElite you are blind fanboy who doesn't know what he's talking about. You can buy a pc for 500 dollar and you will get DEHR running with BETTER graphics than on your 360.

And the most stupid thing you said was talking about the graphics card melting, this almost never happens. Only with people who don't cool down their system properly. The most idiotic thing about it is that's coming form you, an xbox fanboy, ever heard of RROD?

CoDEllite
23rd Jan 2011, 15:33
CoDElite you are blind fanboy who doesn't know what he's talking about. You can buy a pc for 500 dollar and you will get DEHR running with BETTER graphics than on your 360. Maybe not everything on highest setting, but still better settings than your xbox.

And the most stupid thing you said was talking about the graphics card melting, this almost never happens. Only with people who don't cool down their system properly. The most idiotic thing about it is that's coming form you, an xbox fanboy.

ever heard of RROD?

So one of those retail $500 PCs will come with the power supply and cooling system/really strong fan required for hardcore gaming? Because my friend told me that's what you really need in a gaming computer. I guess it will just mean I need more accessories to ask tech guys at the store to install.
AND Zakka, RROD "almost never happens" on newer model xboxs or xbox slims. But nice try :) .

Vaxthrul
23rd Jan 2011, 15:41
WOW. Thats so cheap! So this means I just need to buy one of those crappy HP computers that my local bestbuy is always advetising for around $600 and then get a decent graphics card for another $300 (and should probably have just enough cash left over to pay the tech guys to install it for me as I wouldn't dare tinker around inside my computer by myself). And no need for better then retail power supply or a good fan because that would be beyond the budget right? Lets just hope the graphics card doesn't melt within the first couple of months so better that I only game for 1 hour at a time. So with just under $1000 I would be set to play Deus Ex HR or some of those exciting PC exclusives... strategy or point-click adventure games. Yeah, it is totally worth it to buy a gaming rig for $1000. I don't even know why people persist in wasting there money on those underpowered consoles when so much fun goodness can be had for $1000? Thanks for clearing it up for me guys :) .
PS: And console games are SO expensive. It's not like I could be able to buy too many of them for that $1000 (even if buying mostly used) in the 2-3 years until the end of this console generation.
PS2: Oh, I forgot about a monitor. Maybe I should buy the cheapest biggest monitor in the store? Maybe the fact that it is made by some small korean company won't mean that it will break within a year or so. Cause I really don't feel like spending more than $150 on a monitor.

My turn. Im nothing to these forums but a forum rat, reading, no posting, no feeding the trolls nothing. i rat from 4chan all the way over to financial times, and back to Toms Hardware for some quick reviews before i sleep. I feel the i must congratulate you as you are the first person who has actually made me mad this year.

Besides the point that your a child who cant seem to wrap his mind, not to mention afford to maintain his own system(s) all these people here are trying to tell you to look at it differently, and very VERY nicely at that. go to /v/ and start talking this trash and see where it gets you, i DARE you. You would do well to listen to your elders BOY and not talk out of some place that you need to cover up with porcelain.

As one person put it very well, a PS360 is a Pinto (or whatever vehicles your generation seems to blow up in), which is a good analogy considering all the RRODs both systems suffer from, as well as the very limited usefulness. Im not even going to talk about blanking out the software and using PS360 cluster systems because that an idea more than a simple PC, which by the way i am very offended that you learned how to use seeing as i have to use the same interfacing tool to communicate this message.

A PC i wouldnt personally equate to Ferrari, but that is my preference. I would equate it to a Hummer 3 with a V8, modded open-back that the Asian car manufactures perfected. Did i mention the engine runs on water vapor? It essentially is a bastard of companies creating parts to ensure that you not only have a reliable vehicle that can preform tasks that no simple car, SUV, or truck can do, but also keep you comfortable, entertained, in touch, and most of all AWARE of the surrounding world. I Dont think you can do that stranded in your F.O.R.D. pinto, atleast, not until you have to get a new one because the one you had leaks CO2 into our sensitive ecosystem.

Analogies aside, you need to grow the hell up and LEARN, or if you didnt get that because you failed out of your GED program, then i guess you better TRY HARDER NEXT TIME

also.....THE GAME :D

oh, my humbliest apologies to zakka, pretentious old man, and any moderators offended by the post. any and all of you have my sincere respect for being able to provide thoughtful discourse, and intelligent, well backed facts into this discussion. just know that someone hears what your saying. :)

Fox89
23rd Jan 2011, 15:45
So one of those retail $500 PCs will come with the power supply and cooling system/really strong fan required for hardcore gaming? Because my friend told me that's what you really need in a gaming computer. I guess it will just mean I need more accessories to ask tech guys at the store to install.

Yes. All included in a retail PC. You won't be able to run new games at ULTRA MAXIMUM SETTINGS, no, but you should still get moderate improvement from a console if the graphics card is up to scratch.

You have to bear in mind that current consoles are already about 5 years out of date, in terms of their hardware. When they were released back around 2006/2007, they weren't even at that time up to the standards of high end PCs. They were pretty mid-range. Nowadays though, I'd consider them low-end. My graphics card (GTX 285) is a substantial step up from the PS3 and 360, and even that's mid-range (I can run most games on high settings, but not too much anti-aliasing or multisampling).

ZakKa89
23rd Jan 2011, 15:51
AND Zakka, RROD "almost never happens" on newer model xboxs or xbox slims. But nice try :) .

It's better to order and either build it yourself or let the people you order it from assemble it for a smalle extra fee. Never buy one just in a store.

And if your friend told you a good cooling system and a good power supply are the most important things, you should not listen to him. A good videocard is the most important thing for a gamer and you don't need an expensive cooling system or psu.

That 500 dollar pc won't let you play every game on the highest settings, but the game will still look better than on a console.

CoDEllite
23rd Jan 2011, 15:53
Hey Fox :). So let me get this right $500 processor + $300 vcard + $150-200 monitor is all I need to play Mafia 2 with mid to high settings with smooth frame rate. Cause having stuttering framerate just kills the experience for me while the game has to look at least decent graphicwise. Also I would love to give Crysis 2 a try on this budget PC. Would it look and run as nice on the GTX 285 as on the consoles?

ZakKa89
23rd Jan 2011, 15:57
Hey Fox :). So let me get this right $500 processor + $300 vcard + $150-200 monitor is all I need to play Mafia 2 with mid to high settings with smooth frame rate. Cause having stuttering framerate just kills the experience for me while the game has to look at least decent graphicwise. Also I would love to give Crysis 2 a try on this budget PC. Would it look and run as nice on the GTX 285 as on the consoles?

we are not talking about a monitor here. About stuttering, are you aware that you can modify each game's settings so it will run smooth on your pc? Just lower shadow quality or completely turn it of (it's not so important and it eats fps) and you will gain a lot of fps. And this is just one example.

Also you don't need a 300 dollar vidoecard, nobody said that. Neiither a 500 dollar processor, are you kidding me? Stop joking around when people are trying to learn you something :/

Vaxthrul
23rd Jan 2011, 15:57
It's better to order and either build it yourself or let the people you order it from assemble it for a smalle extra fee. Never buy one just in a store.

And if your friend told you a good cooling system and a good power supply are the most important things, you should not listen to him. A good videocard is the most important thing for a gamer and you don't need an expensive cooling system or psu.

the power supply issue is prolly for the SLI or XFIRE. But with the new sandybridges you can get 4-4.5 MHz on the stock cooler and it be 24/7 stable, and might as well just do a 500 card instead of 2x400s. building a system right now around i5-2500k thatll last me well after the next console launch starts to age. ill sli 500s if im worried about crysis 2 XD

CoDEllite
23rd Jan 2011, 15:58

But I'm NOT tech-savy enough to built my own computer or even install a graphics card :scratch: . I wouldn't even know the stuff I would see if I opened a computer. Guess that means another couple of hundred bucks to pay for work :( . But whats a couple of hundred bucks when you know you'll be getting an amazing machine (even if in the end it starts to approach $1500 in cost) able to play any game in the next 5 years. Right guys?

Just lower shadow quality or completely turn it of (it's not so important and it eats fps) and you will gain a lot of fps. And this is just one example.

But ... :scratch: ... if I turn down/off to many things for better performance ... the game will not look as good as on the consoles where it will have shadows and steady smooth framerate. Why spend so much on a mid-range computer when Crysis 2 and a lowend graphics card (cause I checked and really anything UNDER $300 is low-end these days) still won't have the same balance of visuals and steady framerate as on 360 or ps3 .

Fox89
23rd Jan 2011, 16:03
Cause having stuttering framerate just kills the experience for me while the game has to look at least decent graphicwise

Mafia 2 is actually a really bad example lol. They optimised it really badly! I found even on low settings the framerate was inconsistent. What they had done was turn on by default the physical simulation of fabric from the clothes of EVERY NPC in the game! It was ridiculous! But once you had got that turned off, yes its fine lol.

And re: Crysis 2. Yeah. Let's say you got a bog-standard basic gaming rig. Intel Dual-Core, 4GB RAM and a mid range graphics card. I reckon you could have a better Crysis 2 experience than on the 360, yes. And with added mod support!

I wouldn't say you'd get enough improvement over the 360 to make it worth buying such a PC though. If you didn't own a 360 and you were asking "Should I get a 360 or this cheap-ish PC?" then I'd say PC. In that scenario, the PC is good value for money. But to spend that on a new rig just for 'moderate improvement' over something you already have, perhaps not worth it.

Guess that means another couple of hundred bucks to pay for work

Don't think it would be that expensive... either way, ask a friend or family member to help. I'd be very surprised if you didn't know anyone that could build a PC. Hell, I built my own and my knowledge wasn't much better! Internet guides make things much simpler ;)

ZakKa89
23rd Jan 2011, 16:05
But I'm NOT tech-savy enough to built my own computer or even install a graphics card :scratch: . I wouldn't even know the stuff I would see if I opened a computer. Guess that means another couple of hundred bucks to pay for work :( . But whats a couple of hundred bucks when you know you'll be getting an amazing machine (even if in the end it starts to approach $1500 in cost) able to play any game in the next 5 years. Right guys?

But ... :scratch: ... if I turn down/off to many things for better performance ... the game will not look as good as on the consoles where it will have shadows and steady smooth framerate. Why spend so much on a mid-range computer when Crysis 2 and a lowend graphics card (cause I checked and really anything UNDER $300 is low-end these days) still won't have the same balance of visuals and steady framerate as on 360 or ps3 .

No most of the time it will still look better than on consoles, even if you lower the quality a little bit.. And here it's only 50 euro if you want them to assemble the system for you. Also, it's REALLY easy to assemble it yourself. Dn't forget that you tweak a lot. Some games just have "low" "medium" "High" quality settings but the better games can be adjusted precisely to the way you want it.

I have a console myself, I know the differences. I played Bad Company 2 on both the console and on the pc and the difference is HUGE in my opinion. I sometimes can't even see enemies in the distance on the console because of the low resolution.

Vaxthrul
23rd Jan 2011, 16:07

you like to be fed that much? ok

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7166273&Sku=B69-0296

plus OS since im gessing your ineptitude with hardware leads to software, no reason to run linux

plus a 100 dollar gfx card

not even 700, and itll last you twice as long as a xbox360 will easily

oh crap, new games? directx12? OH LAWDY

all you have to do is get a new gfx card, not even 200

but thats so complicated for your brain you have to have some one put it together for you? its called GOOGLE, use to to reasearch how to do something, stop being lazy

oh and those things that hes telling you to turn down or off, neither console has them atm, so you arent loosing anything you wanted anyway

edited for posts

Fox89
23rd Jan 2011, 16:11
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...3&Sku=B69-0296

oooooooooh. That is really good :)

CoDEllite
23rd Jan 2011, 16:12
I wouldn't say you'd get enough improvement over the 360 to make it worth buying such a PC though. If you didn't own a 360 and you were asking "Should I get a 360 or this cheap-ish PC?" then I'd say PC. In that scenario, the PC is good value for money. But to spend that on a new rig just for 'moderate improvement' over something you already have, perhaps not worth it.

Thank you! for putting my basic gripe with modern PC gaming so elegantly and in so few words :) . Because really until a game comes out that is so awesome, that it will not be possible to port it to the HD consoles then I will stick with my xbox which will be able to run most big budget (really meaning AAA multiplatform releases) for another 3 years or so (or until end of this console gen?) . But really no game that awesome is even in the pipeline. Like Human Revolution, Thief 4 and Bioshock Infinite are all getting console releases and I'm not into strategy games at all... so I think I'll wait a bit longer before going all out on that new gaming computer.

Vaxthrul
23rd Jan 2011, 16:16
Thank you! for putting my basic gripe with modern PC gaming so elegantly and in so few words :) . Because really until a game comes out that is so awesome, that it will not be possible to port it to the HD consoles then I will stick with my xbox which will be able to run most big budget (really meaning AAA multiplatform releases) for another 3 years of so (until end of this console gen?) . But really no game that awesome is even in the pipeline. Like Human Revolution, Thief 4 and Bioshock Infinite are all getting console releases and I'm not into strategy games at all... so I think I'll wait a bit longer before going all out on that new gaming computer.

:D thief 4?

and yes you should save and buy an amazing system like most of us here have. its the initial hump of a cost that people complain about, but its cheaper after that investment. its like playing in the stock marcket and you deal with portfolio minimums.

maybe then youll understand why our ULTRA HD systems are better than some tweaked 8 year old hardware.

but i must say, the PS3 preforms so well for so little memory, i just bought it for a blu-ray player, whoda thunk it XD

ZakKa89
23rd Jan 2011, 16:19
Got myself a ps3 as well vaxthrul but I neveer play any multiplayer games on it. Just play the exclusives which I enjoy but none compare to games I play on my pc sadly. Thinking about selling my ps3 after I played uncharted 3 on it and the new game from team ico :)

Fox89
23rd Jan 2011, 16:20
Thank you! for putting my basic gripe with modern PC gaming so elegantly and in so few words :) . Because really until a game comes out that is so awesome, that it will not be possible to port it to the HD consoles then I will stick with my xbox which will be able to run most big budget (really meaning AAA multiplatform releases) for another 3 years of so (until end of this console gen?) . But really no game that awesome is even in the pipeline. Like Human Revolution, Thief 4 and Bioshock Infinite are all getting console releases and I'm not into strategy games at all... so I think I'll wait a bit longer before going all out on that new gaming computer.

That's fair enough. But when the next-gen gets announced, do consider spending your money on a decent gaming PC instead. It'll last you at least as long as the new Xbox would and with shinier graphics and mod support to boot. It should also be better value for money as after the initial big spend the occassional upgrade will be relatively cheap and simple.

Take my mid-range GTX 285, for example. It's considered a 'previous generation' graphics card but I can still run every game I've come across on high settings, and it will last a few more years yet, at which case the mid-range graphics cards of 5 years from now will be able to do the same.

CoDEllite
23rd Jan 2011, 16:21
Thinking about selling my ps3 after I played uncharted 3 on it :) And not even try Last Guardian when it eventually comes out? I thought THAT was the game all you ps3 "fanboys" raved about :) .

That's fair enough. But when the next-gen gets announced, do consider spending your money on a decent gaming PC instead. It'll last you at least as long as the new Xbox would and with shinier graphics and mod support to boot. It should also be better value for money as after the initial big spend the occassional upgrade will be relatively cheap and simple. Point taken :) . Consider me a converted member of the glorious PC gaming nation ... whenever the next console generation finally rolls around. Hopefully, I'll have a decent part-time job and money saved up by the time that date arrives.

ZakKa89
23rd Jan 2011, 16:24
We won't see next gen consoles for a while. The ps3 just started to make some decent profit in 2010 and both sony and microsoft are trying to expand the consoles life with the kinect and move. I don't think we'll see next gen consoles before 2014/2015 to be honest.

Pretentious Old Man.
23rd Jan 2011, 16:24

^^^

ZakKa89
23rd Jan 2011, 16:25
And not even try Last Guardian when it eventually comes out? I thought THAT was the game all you ps3 fanboys raved about :) .

edited my post :) and I am not a fanboy. I hate fanboys (except you). Oh and killzone 3 ofcourse.

CoDEllite
23rd Jan 2011, 16:32
edited my post :) and I am not a fanboy.

Fair enough :) . edited mine as well. No real hardcore fanboys here I hope, just "fanboys" aka "a bit too overenthusiastic fans of one thing or another".

Vaxthrul
23rd Jan 2011, 16:36
Got myself a ps3 as well vaxthrul but I neveer play any multiplayer games on it. Just play the exclusives which I enjoy but none compare to games I play on my pc sadly. Thinking about selling my ps3 after I played uncharted 3 on it and the new game from team ico :)

prolly be the last console i buy, but then again i said that after the awsomeness that was a 100 dollar ps2 (still have it) just wanted a blu-ray for the family, price was comprable, plus pc doesnt seem to be trending towards blu-ray, why pick up a 100+ dollar drive?

ps3>home built media box, atleast in price. prolly build one with my left over taxes at any rate XD got a friend who really wants a ps3, just is too economically challenged to afford a *charitable donation* XD

ZakKa89
23rd Jan 2011, 18:09
Fair enough :) . edited mine as well. No real hardcore fanboys here I hope, just "fanboys" aka "a bit too overenthusiastic fans of one thing or another".

Hehe you just described yourself :)

JCpies
23rd Jan 2011, 18:27
Guys, stop pandering CoDEllite just because he can't spell 'elite' or install a graphics card and is an Xbox fanboy, it doesn't mean he's not intelligent.

Oh wait... it does. =)

Fox89
23rd Jan 2011, 20:08
Guys, stop pandering CoDEllite just because he can't spell 'elite' or install a graphics card and is an Xbox fanboy, it doesn't mean he's not intelligent.

Oh wait... it does. =)

Hey, we managed to persuade him of the pros of the PC. I count that as a win. The worst thing about having discussions with people is they are often to stubborn to change their views. CoDEllite did, to some extent at least. I respect that :)

Pretentious Old Man.
23rd Jan 2011, 20:39

Oh wait... it does. =)

But he is intelligent, though. I'm prepared to bet a million pounds that he's actually a relatively sophisticated PC gamer troll/ sock puppet. Let's be honest, this forum is something of a magnet for such activity.

JCpies
23rd Jan 2011, 20:40
Ah yes, you did. Well done, you converted someone to the glorious cause. You shall live on forether in PC gaming heaven.

Romeo
24th Jan 2011, 00:56
CoDElite you are blind fanboy who doesn't know what he's talking about. You can buy a pc for 500 dollar and you will get DEHR running with BETTER graphics than on your 360.

And the most stupid thing you said was talking about the graphics card melting, this almost never happens. Only with people who don't cool down their system properly. The most idiotic thing about it is that's coming form you, an xbox fanboy, ever heard of RROD?
Ahaha. I love how you bring up gross exaggerations, then use one yourself.

I still use the same Xbox 360 I used when the 360 first came out. My friend bought his about a month later, and still uses his. My brother's one is just fine, as are all my classmates ones. I know there are defective ones, but people treat that like it's almost all of them, when it's a small percentage - much like people that fail to ensure their PC's are adequetely cooled.

Secondly, you miss my point, I do game on my PC, as I can't stand RTS games on consoles, and I prefer RPGs on computers. But shooters and racers I play on my 360. See, as I need my laptop for work (It's how I hook up to cars to scan for codes) I have two options to play on PC: Re-invest in a second computer, exclusively for games, or upgrade the daylights out of the laptop. Neither is fiscally responsible when I don't have to invest a dime past purchase price into my 360.

And if your only argument is calling people fan boys and failing to address their points, your argument sucks.

Shralla
24th Jan 2011, 01:44
I know there are defective ones, but people treat that like it's almost all of them, when it's a small percentage

I'm sorry, but over 50% is not in any way shape or form a "small percentage." And yes, it is over 50%. He wasn't exaggerating. You're an incredible fluke in the system. Myself and everybody I know save for one of my friends have experienced one or multiple RRODs.

Fox89
24th Jan 2011, 03:32
I'm sorry, but over 50% is not in any way shape or form a "small percentage." And yes, it is over 50%. He wasn't exaggerating. You're an incredible fluke in the system. Myself and everybody I know save for one of my friends have experienced one or multiple RRODs.

I haven't!

Although I use my Xbox minimally, only for exclusives. Multiplatform stuff I get on my PS3, largely due to fear of 360 malfunction :D

Romeo
24th Jan 2011, 07:25
Yes, see the thing I found interesting is when GameInformer conducts an anonymous poll, 54% claim they've sent in for a RROD. When Microsoft posts their warranty levels, it's at 16% (http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/14/xbox-360-failure-rate-at-16/). You, know, the one where they track how many Xbox's are registered versus how many times they have to fix them, not just an honor-system poll. And based upon some of the things I've seen my brother do, I'm not surprised that it is so high. My favourite one was my brother's suggestion it would be AOK to run it on his carpetted floor, right up against the wall, thus covering both heat vents.

I'm not saying the Xbox is not poorly thought out - it is - especially when held up to the PS3 and Wii, and even more so to the DS/DSi. But much like the Toyota gas pedal incident, people rarely let truth stand in the way of a good story.

ZakKa89
24th Jan 2011, 09:20
Ahaha. I love how you bring up gross exaggerations, then use one yourself.
And if your only argument is calling people fan boys and failing to address their points, your argument sucks.

Have you read the thread? I've adressed every point he made and I am not exaggerating. I looked up on a dutch website how much it would be to assemble a budget pc which would play games on at least 1280x720 resolution with not too many fancy stuff(chose the parts myself) and that's how I came up with that number. Also, I have every right to call him a fanboy. He is one. Have you read his posts? "everygame is superior on xbox, xbox FTW" "Uncharted is a ripoff of gears of war." I have all his epic quotes stored in text document so I can have a laugh sometimes. I frigging love CoDElite.

So don't tell me my arguments suck just because I call him a fanboy please, I've adressed everything he said and in a calm manner after that post. Please read the thread before accusing me.

If you think that's my only argument, you really haven't read the thread.

Ashpolt
24th Jan 2011, 10:21
Yes, see the thing I found interesting is when GameInformer conducts an anonymous poll, 54% claim they've sent in for a RROD. When Microsoft posts their warranty levels, it's at 16% (http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/14/xbox-360-failure-rate-at-16/). You, know, the one where they track how many Xbox's are registered versus how many times they have to fix them, not just an honor-system poll. And based upon some of the things I've seen my brother do, I'm not surprised that it is so high. My favourite one was my brother's suggestion it would be AOK to run it on his carpetted floor, right up against the wall, thus covering both heat vents.

I'm not saying the Xbox is not poorly thought out - it is - especially when held up to the PS3 and Wii, and even more so to the DS/DSi. But much like the Toyota gas pedal incident, people rarely let truth stand in the way of a good story.

...And Microsoft have a very vested interest in making that figure seem as low as possible. Don't forget that they introduced a patch which caused RRODs to be re-classified as another type of issue, just so the new faults weren't covered by warranty even though it was exactly the same fault (E720 or something like that? I forget the exact term.) And those, of course, wouldn't be considered in that 16%. That figure is artificially low.

Plus even if it wasn't, 16% is an astonishingly high failure rate for any piece of consumer-released technology. I believe 1-3% is generally considered "acceptable." 16% is terrible.

That said, I've had more PS3s break than 360s: I'm on my third 360 and 6th PS3. And before anyone asks, no, I don't keep my consoles on the carpet, and yes, I give them adequate vent space at the back and sides. (The problem with the PS3s is that I had an early model - the 60Gb - and they kept sending me refurbs. The refurbs were terrible, and lasted between 2 weeks and 6 months each. So that accounts for 4 of the 6, plus the original. Since I just gave in and bought a new one - a slim - I've had no issues. Ditto the 360, my initial one RROD'd and was on the way to RROD'ing again, so I bought an Elite, and so far no problems.)

ZakKa89
24th Jan 2011, 14:16
You had some bad luck man D:

FrankCSIS
25th Jan 2011, 00:29
I cannot possibly trust Microsoft when it comes to the box's hardware problems. It took a class-action lawsuit before they would suddenly honor the guarantee. The first calls I placed, 35 days after purchase, every representent kept asking what games I was playing. They would systematically blame Oblivion. An MS employee went as far as telling me the game was not really supported by the 360. This one got me to lose my legendary calm temper.

I'm on my 4th 360, as I said earlier, the third refurb they sent me, and it's very much acting up. I'm just refusing to cave in and buy a new edition, but it's a real pain at times.

GamerSam
26th Jan 2011, 03:47
Already pre-ordered the Augmented collector's edition from Gamestop. It will be for the Xbox 360 console.

Rindill the Red
26th Jan 2011, 03:54
Already pre-ordered the Augmented collector's edition from Gamestop. It will be for the Xbox 360 console.

http://oddful.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/07de48845aumbass.jpg.jpg

IdiotInAJeep
26th Jan 2011, 03:58
This is why we can't have nice things.

coweater
26th Jan 2011, 04:11

It probably means Call of Duty elite...

ZakKa89
26th Jan 2011, 10:14
It probably means Call of Duty elite...

I think pretentious old man knows that ;p

Rheinhold
26th Jan 2011, 12:17
I think pretentious old man knows that ;p

Pretentious old man...

He just chose his name very well! :)

ZakKa89
26th Jan 2011, 12:22
I don't think so I think he should have called himself wise old man. Fits him the best. :)

Rheinhold
26th Jan 2011, 12:45
I don't think so I think he should have called himself wise old man. Fits him the best. :)

He may be wise, who knows... but in the quoted post, he was pretending to know nothing at all... thus I think he chose his name right.

reticulate
26th Jan 2011, 13:23
I'll state this again: there are legitimate reasons for buying a console version over the (possibly, depending on the port) superior PC version.

This from a guy who spend years and monies on keeping a very tidy rig. I play almost exclusively on consoles now, outside of Steam titles that interest me, and that's mostly because I like sitting on a couch with a controller and a beer. **** be for relaxation, son. I've never understood why there has to be this big argument back-and-forth about gaming platforms. All have strengths and weaknesses.

CODElite: You can build a fairly respectable gaming rig for not much money. But I tend towards the analogy of a decent new German car - you can significantly increase your costs through options and upgrades. If you want to build a cheap gaming rig, narrow down your budget to within less than a hundred bucks either way and read up on what's going to give you best bang for buck. Building your own PC is sort of a metagame where you have to weigh and compare reviews of hardware, look for the best value stores and try not to get sucked into the abyss of hardware fandom. Whether or not you see any satisfaction from your work is entirely dependant on whether the thing is going to get used often enough to make the expense worthwhile. Otherwise, stick to your 360.

ZakKa89
26th Jan 2011, 13:29
I have the perfect setup, I lie in bed mostly when I'm behind the pc :D.

Only sit on my chair when I really need to perform in a competitive game (starcraft 2 for example)

Vorru
26th Jan 2011, 16:36
...and that's mostly because I like sitting on a couch with a controller and a beer.

I play a lot of games while relaxing on my couch. And yes, I still play them on a PC.
A wireless mouse/keyboard/gamepad and my computer hooked to my TV with an HDMI cable.

Don't see any reason to go XBox with that rig. :)

Shralla
26th Jan 2011, 19:10
Yeah, I really don't get the argument that "Oh I'd rather sit on my couch instead of having to cram myself in front of my desk"

First of all, office chairs? Not that uncomfortable. If yours is, that's your own damn fault. I bet you spent roughly ten times as much on your couch as on your chair, so no **** it's more comfortable. Get a nice $200 chair from Staples and it feels like sitting on clouds.

Secondly, it costs like $10 for a DVI-to-HDMI cable. Remind me again what the big deal about hooking your PC up to your TV is?

Rheinhold
26th Jan 2011, 19:39
Remind me again what the big deal about hooking your PC up to your TV is?
When you connect your rig to your TV, at least you can tell the pixels apart from eachother... I am still left in the dark on the reason why you should want that, but hey...

When it comes to comfort behind your PC... I am having a lot of nothing of that at the moment: my chair is broken. Literally! :(

ZakKa89
26th Jan 2011, 20:13
you don't see those pixels when watching movies or when you play games with anti aliasing on ;). Only when browsing windows.

ShadowRatchet6
26th Jan 2011, 21:40
Who's getting it on PS3?

minor_threat
26th Jan 2011, 21:51
Unfortunately I haven't got time to read all 191 posts in this thread. Was there any conclusion? Just wondering because having been addicted to the previous game many years ago I'll be buying a new console just to play this new game!

mad825
26th Jan 2011, 22:10
There isn't going to be a conclusion until the game is released...or at the very least, an accurate one.

Piflik
27th Jan 2011, 02:01
Who's getting it on PS3?

I am...for the sole reason that I have a PS3 and not a XBox...but in any case, I seriously doubt there will be any significant difference between the two versions of the game...I never saw any game that had significant differences between PS3 or XBox, besides the availability of DLC I don't buy...

GamerSam
27th Jan 2011, 02:47
Thanks for the warm welcome Rindill the Red. That 70's Show...Red lol.

Anyway, gaming on a pc may just be over the top. Look at a different screen for a change. Just get a console and be done with it. Also, the fact that it will releases three or four months after the consoles is an absolute *****ing. You see it on Facebook and forums as well.

Do everyone (developers especially) a favor, get a console...get it, play it and move on. D'oh!
imho.

Rindill the Red
27th Jan 2011, 02:51
Thanks for the warm welcome Rindill the Red. That 70's Show...Red lol.

Anyway, gaming on a pc may just be over the top. Look at a different screen for a change. Just get a console and be done with it. Also, the fact that it will releases three or four months after the consoles is an absolute *****ing. You see it on Facebook and forums as well.

Do everyone (developers especially) a favor, get a console...get it, play it and move on. D'oh!
imho.

Naw, I was just joking around. You are the stereotyped gamer somewhat credited around here with ruining the video-game industry. Console player... likes to pre-order games... etc.

If a demo comes out I'll likely pre-order... granted I like the game... but in my experience pre-orders are just not a good way to go.

Also the PC vs. Xbox 360 vs. PS3 debate finished awhile ago. PC gaming won of course.

Vorru
27th Jan 2011, 07:26

imho.

Didn't quite understand what you meant by that first bit.
Over the top?
Look at a different screen for a change?

I prefer my games on a PC when I have the chance, even if I have to wait a bit.
And that's mostly because I do enjoy my games better when I know I'm getting better visuals and a higher resolution (1920x1080) when compared to console versions (1280x720 almost always).

Yes, I also have a console (a PS3) and I play quite a lot with it too, but still I feel like I'm getting my moneys worth from my PC, even if I have to spend a hundred or two every few years to upgrade it.
And even that is just to keep everything maxed up, which means heck of a lot more detail than any current console can deliver.

And answering the topic once more.
If I had to choose, I'd get it on a PS3, and that's because I have one.
But still. First-person game = PC in my books.

ZakKa89
27th Jan 2011, 08:08
GamerSam welcome to the forum but I recommend you to read the thread before you post... :)

Revolverhawk
27th Jan 2011, 10:19
Only Ubisoft ever made you stay connected permanently, and they have discontinued that policy. As for invasive SecuRom, that's years in the past now.

Let me ask you a question: how does it feel to have every piece of software available on a given platform monitored by one, central company? How does it feel to have a total lack of anything other than so-called AAA titles because they can't afford to pay the draconian licensing fees because the consoles cost so much to build Sony and MS are forced to levy ridiculous costs on developers?

We could do this all night.

Total Lack of anything other than Triple A titles? Xbox Live Arcade has a ton of indie titles. Games like Morph X, Deadly Premonition, Samurai Shodown and other non triple A titles happen on a regular basis on the Xbox. I have a gaming PC, PS3, and XBox 360, so I have no favorites here, and my previous Xbox 360 Red Ringed on me, but I have to call bull on this.

reticulate
27th Jan 2011, 14:02
Yeah, I really don't get the argument that "Oh I'd rather sit on my couch instead of having to cram myself in front of my desk"

First of all, office chairs? Not that uncomfortable. If yours is, that's your own damn fault. I bet you spent roughly ten times as much on your couch as on your chair, so no **** it's more comfortable. Get a nice $200 chair from Staples and it feels like sitting on clouds.

Secondly, it costs like $10 for a DVI-to-HDMI cable. Remind me again what the big deal about hooking your PC up to your TV is?

A fair point, and I do love my couch very much. I also have a pretty decent office chair.

But in my instance, the office is a distance from the lounge room so I'm either lugging a machine about or having a PC just for gaming on the TV. Besides, I appreciate the focussed nature of consoles - they're mostly about playing games. You turn them on, get a nice six-foot interface and away you go.

Horses for courses.

ZakKa89
27th Jan 2011, 14:26
Total Lack of anything other than Triple A titles? Xbox Live Arcade has a ton of indie titles. Games like Morph X, Deadly Premonition, Samurai Shodown and other non triple A titles happen on a regular basis on the Xbox. I have a gaming PC, PS3, and XBox 360, so I have no favorites here, and my previous Xbox 360 Red Ringed on me, but I have to call bull on this.

Oh man you don't want to do this (debating with Pretentious Old Man) trust me.

Shralla
27th Jan 2011, 23:52
It's true though. They have an entire section dedicated to indie titles, which is separate from the rest of the Arcade titles, all of which are pretty small games, usually independently developed anyway.

Calcifer
28th Jan 2011, 00:53
Dude really now, its all about PC - this series was born on PC and it will be the best here!

Romeo
29th Jan 2011, 04:07
...And Microsoft have a very vested interest in making that figure seem as low as possible. Don't forget that they introduced a patch which caused RRODs to be re-classified as another type of issue, just so the new faults weren't covered by warranty even though it was exactly the same fault (E720 or something like that? I forget the exact term.) And those, of course, wouldn't be considered in that 16%. That figure is artificially low.

Plus even if it wasn't, 16% is an astonishingly high failure rate for any piece of consumer-released technology. I believe 1-3% is generally considered "acceptable." 16% is terrible.

That said, I've had more PS3s break than 360s: I'm on my third 360 and 6th PS3. And before anyone asks, no, I don't keep my consoles on the carpet, and yes, I give them adequate vent space at the back and sides. (The problem with the PS3s is that I had an early model - the 60Gb - and they kept sending me refurbs. The refurbs were terrible, and lasted between 2 weeks and 6 months each. So that accounts for 4 of the 6, plus the original. Since I just gave in and bought a new one - a slim - I've had no issues. Ditto the 360, my initial one RROD'd and was on the way to RROD'ing again, so I bought an Elite, and so far no problems.)
Haven't had any first time experience with a PS3 (Not my cup of tea, games-wise), but it was significantly better at reported warranties (6-8%, year-dependant). 16% was for all warranty claims for the 360. And yes, that is high, my point was the fact it was still grossly blown out of proportion. As I said, it's the exact same thing as the "Toyota Gas Pedal" situation: Humans never let truth get in the way of a good story.

CoDEllite
29th Jan 2011, 15:48
Haven't had any first time experience with a PS3 (Not my cup of tea, games-wise), but it was significantly better at reported warranties (6-8%, year-dependant). 16% was for all warranty claims for the 360. And yes, that is high, my point was the fact it was still grossly blown out of proportion. As I said, it's the exact same thing as the "Toyota Gas Pedal" situation: Humans never let truth get in the way of a good story.

Dude totaly. Me and all my bros all had early generation xbox and I kid you not out of 4 of us only one xbox broke down in like 3 years. The figures are grossly exagerated by ps3 fanboys. On the other hand slims break down like crazy I herd.

Fox89
29th Jan 2011, 15:52
Dude totaly. Me and all my bros all had early generation xbox and I kid you not out of 4 of us only one xbox broke down in like 3 years. The figures are grossly exagerated by ps3 fanboys. On the other hand slims break down like crazy I herd.

I thought I had a RROD once. I panicked for a while and then realised all 4 lights were illuminated, not just 3. Turned out it was a warning that my AV cable was disconnected :lol:

CoDEllite
29th Jan 2011, 15:59
I thought I had a RROD once. I panicked for a while and then realised all 4 lights were illuminated, not just 3. Turned out it was a warning that my AV cable was disconnected :lol:

LOL same thing happened to me once and I almost crapped my pants easly. Luckily I got the new slim model now so no more RROD scares.

Fox89
29th Jan 2011, 16:22
LOL same thing happened to me once and I almost crapped my pants easly. Luckily I got the new slim model now so no more RROD scares.

Doesn't the slim model still get the same error? I heard that they'd just taken out the red lights to warn you when it was happening. Which I thought was an...interesting way to 'solve' the problem!

ZakKa89
29th Jan 2011, 23:05

What did you do with the older model?

reticulate
30th Jan 2011, 03:05
Doesn't the slim model still get the same error? I heard that they'd just taken out the red lights to warn you when it was happening. Which I thought was an...interesting way to 'solve' the problem!

The last few chipset revisions saw redesigns of the heatsink mounting, which is what was causing the issue in the first place. I'd vote you're much, much less likely to see a new 360 fail.

Romeo
30th Jan 2011, 05:06
The last few chipset revisions saw redesigns of the heatsink mounting, which is what was causing the issue in the first place. I'd vote you're much, much less likely to see a new 360 fail.
Yeah, I'd been hearing the new 45nm chip is supposed to be significantly more durable than the old 65nm.
What did you do with the older model?
I don't know what he did, but something I've always wondered is how much effort it would take to make a 360 into a computer. Personally, I think both the 360 and the original Xbox are very attractive, and it would be cool to see people do a double take when they realize it's your PC. lol

CoDEllite
30th Jan 2011, 18:07
Yeah, I'd been hearing the new 45nm chip is supposed to be significantly more durable than the old 65nm.
I don't know what he did, but something I've always wondered is how much effort it would take to make a 360 into a computer. Personally, I think both the 360 and the original Xbox are very attractive, and it would be cool to see people do a double take when they realize it's your PC. lol

I would be down with that bro. It would be the coolest computer evar. I just love my 360 :D

Romeo
1st Feb 2011, 18:50
If one of my 360's ever does go, I will look into doing as little as possible to make it a PC. lol