PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Augmentation

Piflik
14th Jan 2011, 03:24
I don't know if this has already been asked, answered and/or become common knowledge by now, but is there some kind of game mechanic that changes how Adam is treated by other people (or even by himself as proposed in this blog-post (http://designreboot.blogspot.com/2009/10/design-reboot-laputan-machine.html)) in regard of his degree of mechanization?

Jerion
14th Jan 2011, 03:37
I...ah...hmm. I don't think this has actually been answered.

K^2
14th Jan 2011, 04:27
It's been hinted at early on, if I recall correctly, but I don't think we have an official word. A lot of things have changed since then.

nomotog
14th Jan 2011, 05:39
I don't know if this has already been asked, answered and/or become common knowledge by now, but is there some kind of game mechanic that changes how Adam is treated by other people (or even by himself as proposed in this blog-post (http://designreboot.blogspot.com/2009/10/design-reboot-laputan-machine.html)) in regard of his degree of mechanization?

I don't think it has been answered. I have doubts that it will be in. The most visual upgrade you get is your arms and they come free with the goatee. You also wear a coat over them too, so how are people going to know?

Shralla
14th Jan 2011, 05:51
The most visual upgrade you get is your arms

And exactly how do you know that?

nomotog
14th Jan 2011, 06:26
And exactly how do you know that?

We have been shown a list of all 21 augments. Even if we haven't, You can't really get more cyborg like then having black plastic arms. You know unless you glue a giant fish tail to your back.

singularity
14th Jan 2011, 07:50
We have been shown a list of all 21 augments. Even if we haven't, You can't really get more cyborg like then having black plastic arms. You know unless you glue a giant fish tail to your back.

Last I heard, there was no confirmed list of augmentations... We got to see all the pictures, and there are a few speculations online, but we don't know all of them... or even half of them. If i'm wrong, please link, because I'm dying to know.

And there apre plenty of opportunities for adam to get more cyborg-like. Remember that "on missions" Adam takes off the coat. He can get prosthetic legs... his face can get a little more borg-like... even attachments to his eyes and chest. Look at Anna and Gunther... there's a reason people treat augmented people differently -- and a portion of that boils down to the fact that they look down-right scary. I'd say there are opportunities for some augs to have visual changes occur to the player.

Ashpolt
14th Jan 2011, 11:55
It was mentioned early on that Adam's appearance would change as he installed more augs.

Of course, a lot of things were mentioned early on which changed later, so take that with a pinch of salt.

AxiomaticBadger
14th Jan 2011, 13:03
Question for JJB?

Deltaslayer
14th Jan 2011, 13:06
I doubt adam's appearance will change by his augmentation... even if you augment his legs.

nomotog
14th Jan 2011, 17:01
Last I heard, there was no confirmed list of augmentations... We got to see all the pictures, and there are a few speculations online, but we don't know all of them... or even half of them. If i'm wrong, please link, because I'm dying to know.

And there apre plenty of opportunities for adam to get more cyborg-like. Remember that "on missions" Adam takes off the coat. He can get prosthetic legs... his face can get a little more borg-like... even attachments to his eyes and chest. Look at Anna and Gunther... there's a reason people treat augmented people differently -- and a portion of that boils down to the fact that they look down-right scary. I'd say there are opportunities for some augs to have visual changes occur to the player.

I am talking about that picture and the speculation.
I was going to mention the leg augments, but didn't think I would need to. They are freaky looking but you wear pants over them. You also get a little Borg like chip on your for head. I think that is your hacking augment (Basic aug.), or your mind reading augment. The most visual augment you get is still your arms. they are very noticeable and have a unnatural feel to them.

Rindill the Red
14th Jan 2011, 23:16
I doubt adam's appearance will change by his augmentation... even if you augment his legs.

What...?

Of course it will... that was one of the main reasons they gave behind using third person occasionally.

I'm thinking that not just will Adam's appearance change... but that some characters will react to Jensen differently based on their beliefs, values, and prejudices, and the amount of augmentation he has received.

I mean, much of the groundwork for the game's plot and story revolves around this idea of a social response to human augmentation and the brief glimpses we got into the mech controversy in Deus Ex... especially that conversation between the two guards...

TERRORIST 1
That's the difference right there. Just take a look at him.

TERRORIST 2
Bad?

TERRORIST 1
They cut off his arm, replaced half of his face.

TERRORIST 2
Hermann, right? He's a good soldier. Killed three of our men.

TERRORIST 1
They'd've replaced his whole body if it would've improved performance. If that's
how you judge a man -- by performance -- then eventually it's not about people
but upgrades, versions, functionality...

TERRORIST 2
All I know is we could use a few mechs for ops like this.

TERRORIST 1
Soon as we buy into the cult of the machine we're just like them.

TERRORIST 2
Rhetoric, always more rhetoric.

Ripped right out of the game.

How much you wanna bet Sarif is at the heart of this "cult of the machine". Probably a label by those who opposed augmentation.

I really like that Gunther-game concept. It is very interesting. Something I would definitely play if it ever came to be.