PDA

View Full Version : CD! Promote/label/describe TOMB RAIDER as a Survival-Adventure (sub)genre game!

Pietras
13th Jan 2011, 02:40
http://i54.tinypic.com/16gh2qx.jpg (http://i52.tinypic.com/2vi10za.jpg)

I came across this term while searching for impressions on the new TOMB RAIDER:

Tomb Raider Reboot Described as Emotional Survival Adventure Game
http://spawnkill.com/2010/12/07/tomb-raider-reboot-described-as-emotional-survival-adventure-game/

It immediately struck me as a perfect genre term for the new TOMB RAIDER:

- it describes the genre-mix perfectly, accenting both new survival aspect and the classic and cornerstone adventure aspect of the franchise
- it sets the game apart from the competition and comparsions (other action-adventure and/or survival-horror games)
- it sounds fresh and is not overused yet; only a couple of games in history have been officially promoted as survival-adventure games, but none managed to achieve big critical or commercial success thus the term is still widely unknown to the gaming community: there are only about 40,000 google results for "survival-adventure", in comparsion with 1.4 million results for "survival-horror" term)
- it's short & memorable and reflects what the gameplay is all about in just 2 words

The same way Resident Evil coined/popularized/claimed "survival-horror" and as Metal Gear Solid did with "stealth", the new TOMB RAIDER could do the same with "survival-adventure". I think promoting/labeling/describing the game with this term would make it immediately appear unique, fresh and innovative and catch the attention right away. Just like in the GameInformer podcast, you could use Danny Boyle's "127 Hours" movie and Discovery Channel's "Man vs. Wild/Born Survivor" and "Survivorman" shows as an example to further explain the concept.

TOMB RAIDER: the new survival-adventure game from Crystal Dynamics.
Would sound great to me! After the game succeeds, the term would no doubt achieve wide recognition and TOMB RAIDER (and Crystal Dynamics!) will forever be credited for introducing it to the mass community. And as an icing on the cake, it would make the franchise a pioneer in the action-adventure genre for the second time in its history and have everyone to compare future games with similar mechanics to TOMB RAIDER so do it before the the competition uses this idea!

LarasFAN
13th Jan 2011, 10:14
it says 2012.... that means, we're gonna die before its released XDDD

RoombelinaUK
13th Jan 2011, 13:59
it says 2012.... that means, we're gonna die before its released XDDD

Hopefully it'll be released before December 24th, the end of the world :)

Danielsun_
15th Jan 2011, 00:35
Technically the world is supposed to end in jan 2013.... That's when the solar flares are predicted... And not gokus :p

_Love2Raid_
15th Jan 2011, 00:55
Technically the world is supposed to end in jan 2013.... That's when the solar flares are predicted... And not gokus :p
That would be Krillin, not Goku. :cool:

I think the name survival-adventure would fit this game perfectly. I don´t know what they have planned for the next (if there will be another one), so I couldn´t say that it would also fit the new series of games.

Denis..
15th Jan 2011, 02:00
i always wanted to talk about 2012 but we will go out of topic but anyways..
im an openminded person and have seen unexplainable things in my life..
some of them actually are like a tale..
ah so i believe that something will happen in 2012 but the end of the world is a bit too much..
but imagine if it will happen..
the seven days of hell and world distruction and all the closeminded people believing to the nowadays stereotypes and when an idea is different from theirs is called crazy..

if something like that is going to happen im sure that the majority isn't believing that..

LC is Me
15th Jan 2011, 14:32
ah so i believe that something will happen in 2012 but the end of the world is a bit too much..

this.
Nice job, Dennis.

Danielsun_
15th Jan 2011, 18:44
That would be Krillin, not Goku. :cool:

I think the name survival-adventure would fit this game perfectly. I don´t know what they have planned for the next (if there will be another one), so I couldn´t say that it would also fit the new series of games.

Ahh touché i think solar flare and i imagine goku doing it to vegeta as a giant monkey :p

_Love2Raid_
15th Jan 2011, 20:43
Ahh touché i think solar flare and i imagine goku doing it to vegeta as a giant monkey :p
You´re right, he can do it too! *face palm*
:lol:

It's just that he doesn't use it a lot later and it sort of becomes Krillin's signature attack. :p

Danielsun_
15th Jan 2011, 21:08
You´re right, he can do it too! *face palm*
:lol:

It's just that he doesn't use it a lot later and it sort of becomes Krillin's signature attack. :p

true, probably because goku just turns super saiyan and kicks ass whereass krillen runs away :p

NCFirebolt21
18th Jan 2011, 03:40
Oh forget the end of the world people, nobody can predict it... anyway, speaking of Lara, the game being a survival game, actually has blood (unlike TRU's stupid effects), brutal kills like that of Resident Evil and an M-rated game! They better not kill this game. I'm already dissapointed about it coming out in Dec 2011-Jan 2012.

Denis..
18th Jan 2011, 08:22
this.
Nice job, Dennis.

ah..
what does it mean?

GeorgeMaciver
18th Jan 2011, 08:31
The world is not in any danger from anything, not even the Eidos Board ;)

Pulse
18th Jan 2011, 23:11
I think that image may be fan made... so who knows when the release will be or what they market it as.