PDA

View Full Version : Differences between american and british versions

Irlandes
12th Jan 2011, 14:03
I would like to know if there are any differences between the american and british versions of the game, mainly regarding PS3 version compatibility and resolutions available (I once noticed that for some european games the 1080 resolution isn't available).

puzl
12th Jan 2011, 14:06
PS3 doesn't use region protection anyway, so it wouldn't be an issue. Besides that, the game isn't released yet and we don't know anything about differences between versions (other than the PC has a harder difficulty mode, apparently)

Saying that, which games have resolution differences? I know of no reason why a developer or publisher would do something like that.

Ashpolt
12th Jan 2011, 15:02
I don't think the lack of a 1080p option is a localisation issue: HDTVs have done away with the distinction between PAL and NTSC. It's simply the case that a lot of PS3 (and some 360) games don't offer 1080p as an option - but that's regardless of where you are.

As for version compatibility - do you mean compatibility with different PS3 SKUs (i.e. 60Gb, 80Gb, Slim, etc etc)? If so, the game should be fully compatible with all SKUs. This will be a Sony TRC.

VectorM
12th Jan 2011, 15:45
The British version will have pancakes with ice cream, instead of soy food.

sonicsidewinder
12th Jan 2011, 17:24

I'd prefer Crumpets, thank you very much.

Darth Eclipse
12th Jan 2011, 23:11
the PC has a harder difficulty mode, apparently

WHAT!? Seriously!? So just because I play on a console means I don't get to experience the game as fully as a PC gamer? LAME.

Irate_Iguana
12th Jan 2011, 23:15
WHAT!? Seriously!? So just because I play on a console means I don't get to experience the game as fully as a PC gamer? LAME.

Cast off the shackles of the dirty console gaming peasants and join the glorious PC gaming master race.

Fluffis
12th Jan 2011, 23:20
Cast off the shackles of the dirty console gaming peasants and join the glorious PC gaming master race.

One of us! One of us! One of us!

Ashpolt
12th Jan 2011, 23:37

It's simply in there to compensate for that fact that aiming with the mouse is much more accurate than with a controller. You're not exactly missing a lot, there won't be new AI routines or anything.

Pretentious Old Man.
12th Jan 2011, 23:54
American Version:

http://www.nextgn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-E3-2010-Trailer.png

British Version:

http://www.etigazette.com/images/sectionPix/gentleman01.jpg

ZakKa89
12th Jan 2011, 23:57
I would like to know if there are any differences between the american and british versions of the game, mainly regarding PS3 version compatibility and resolutions available (I once noticed that for some european games the 1080 resolution isn't available).

It's impossible for the ps3 to run this kind of games in a native full 1080p resolution anyway. Everything is 720p/upscaled 720p except for games like Fat Princess.

NKD
13th Jan 2011, 01:32
The UK version adds a bunch of redundant silent U's to words.

Jerion
13th Jan 2011, 01:59

Basically, with PC you get slightly more advanced, and/or difficult combat AI to compensate for the accuracy of the mouse over the analog stick. You also get higher-fidelity graphics and a different UI. The actual game content- outside of the retuned combat AI- is the same. You're not going to be missing anything substantial as a console gamer.

Jerion
13th Jan 2011, 02:30
It narrows down, more or less. The game you experience is the same on all three platforms. The story, the levels, the NPCs, the weapons, augmentations, skill points etc. stay the same. However, the PC is a different beast when it comes to interacting with a game, and it's capable of significantly higher fidelity visuals. The PC will give you more advanced visuals, and has a UI that's designed for the platform. The mouse is faster and more precise for aiming than an analog stick, so the combat AI on PC is designed to accommodate that accordingly; The PC player will thus experience a level of challenge comparable to the console gamer when fighting.

neilthecellist
13th Jan 2011, 08:09
Basically, with PC you get slightly more advanced, and/or difficult combat AI to compensate for the accuracy of the mouse over the analog stick. You also get higher-fidelity graphics and a different UI. The actual game content- outside of the retuned combat AI- is the same. You're not going to be missing anything substantial as a console gamer.

You forgot to mention DirectX 11 support and real stereo 3D support. Also, I might be picking you on semantics, but "nothing substantial" as a console gamer? Really?not to start a console vs. Pc war, but there are reasons for both sides that I think you glossed over with your statement.

Jerion
13th Jan 2011, 09:39
DX11/S3D = higher-fidelity graphics. I meant what I said with "nothing substantial". You won't get the PC UI, which wouldn't make sense on a console anyway. You won't get slightly harder AI. You won't get DirectX 11. Beyond that you're getting the same game, and really, none of those is a significant alteration for a game like this. Unless you count Keyboard and Mouse as being a significant part of the game, in which case I guess there's something else to be said.

K^2
13th Jan 2011, 10:01
You forgot to mention DirectX 11 support and real stereo 3D support.
PS3 might end up supporting stereo 3D, and I doubt DX11 would be used to its fullest.

puzl
13th Jan 2011, 13:03
DX11 will probably just be hardware tessellation, though hopefully it has decent multi-core support too.

Either way, i've yet to see a DX11 "optimised" game actually use it effectively, outside of tech demos. Expect a little extra gloss on the PC version, but probably in the ME2-esque "the textures still look like they were ported straight over from the console version" way.

Rindill the Red
14th Jan 2011, 00:23
DX11 will probably just be hardware tessellation, though hopefully it has decent multi-core support too.

Either way, i've yet to see a DX11 "optimised" game actually use it effectively, outside of tech demos. Expect a little extra gloss on the PC version, but probably in the ME2-esque "the textures still look like they were ported straight over from the console version" way.

There have been shots with higher/lower quality textures on Adam... might be an in-conversation, out-of-conversation type thing, or it might be a graphics processing power or texture streaming issue.

Yeah, I hope for better visuals for the PC, but none-the-less I will enjoy the greater resolution and use of anti-aliasing.

neilthecellist
14th Jan 2011, 15:58

DX11's API has nothing to do with glossiness, at least not in the sense of an upgrade from DX10. Also, Mass Effect 2 is a DirectX 9 game.

Also, the latest video from ATI EYEFINITY clearly shows the PC platform getting an upgrade in texture work as well as real time SSAO features. While you COULD force this in DirectX9 (look up ENBSERIES mod for GTA IV to see what I mean), the developers clearly show their harness of DirectX11 for their PC platform. Toss in tessellation, among other features they're probably working on after that video was posted, and I'm sure you and I can share similar expectations for the final PC product :)

Dr_Bob
14th Jan 2011, 17:52
DX11's API has nothing to do with glossiness, at least not in the sense of an upgrade from DX10. Also, Mass Effect 2 is a DirectX 9 game.

Mass Effect 2 runs on Unreal Engine 3, but BioWare delivered a poor console port of one of the best games of 2010.

Demiurge Studios, the studio behind the PC port of Mass Effect 1, would certainly have done a better job at porting Mass Effect 2.

Prior to the release of Mass Effect 2, Ray Muzyka - the CEO of BioWare - stated that the PC platform is important to them and that delivering a good PC version is exactly what they would do.

The man lied through his teeth, and I believed him.

JCpies
14th Jan 2011, 20:49

There are more burgers in the American version.

MrFoxter
14th Jan 2011, 22:02
Mass Effect 2 runs on Unreal Engine 3, but BioWare delivered a poor console port of one of the best games of 2010.

Demiurge Studios, the studio behind the PC port of Mass Effect 1, would certainly have done a better job at porting Mass Effect 2.

Prior to the release of Mass Effect 2, Ray Muzyka - the CEO of BioWare - stated that the PC platform is important to them and that delivering a good PC version is exactly what they would do.

The man lied through his teeth, and I believed him.

Speaking about stability and optimization, they did a good job. My not-so-powerful laptop ran it on full details, and in my book it looked appropriately nice and played well. I had no stability problems whatsoever, it crashed maybe once (unlike Bioshock, which is also based on UE3, but crashed many times though). I don't care about thousands of polygons and massive textures or AA (maybe a little bit), but the thing I need is aesthetic quality.

neilthecellist
15th Jan 2011, 08:18
Speaking about stability and optimization, they did a good job. My not-so-powerful laptop ran it on full details, and in my book it looked appropriately nice and played well. I had no stability problems whatsoever, it crashed maybe once (unlike Bioshock, which is also based on UE3, but crashed many times though). I don't care about thousands of polygons and massive textures or AA (maybe a little bit), but the thing I need is aesthetic quality.

Mass Effect 2 ran so well on your computer because the game has almost NO dynamic shadowing and nearly all the textures cast static shadowing. Try altering depthbias to a value like 0.006 and then tell me how optimized the game is.

Then, in Mass Effect 2 no NPC's outside of Shepard and his team and a small handful on hub worlds cast dynamic shadows. In Mass Effect 1, every NPC, and I mean EVERY NPC casted a dynamic shadow.

Bioware didn't optimize the engine for Mass Effect 2, all they did was lower the graphics detail, increase the emissive layer in textures to give off a glossy feel, and then pass it off as "improved graphics." When I forced Mass Effect to use realtime dynamic shadowing on a lower (higher/more detailed) depthbias value, my framerate dropped from 60 to 26. This is not optimized. It's a scam. Even GTA IV (the PC version which is notorious for under optimization) ran better on my computer with even ENBSeries enabled (realtime SSAO and reflections).

EIDOS on the other hand has shown, quite literally, what enhancements they will bring to the PC platform for their game. Visual proof=I'm less inclined to disbelieve their man.

Montag
15th Jan 2011, 20:19
I imagine that the language will be simplified for the American version, with smaller, more easy to understand words.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone had to be changed to Sorcerers Stone as Audiences didn't know what the title meant.

Also there will be really big soft drinks

Rindill the Red
16th Jan 2011, 02:02
I imagine that the language will be simplified for the American version, with smaller, more easy to understand words.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone had to be changed to Sorcerers Stone as Audiences didn't know what the title meant.

Also there will be really big soft drinks

Lol... we already got the big soft drinks... you just give us the mindless entertainment.

Of course, I'm kidding.

America produces some of the world's best (and intellectual) entertainment... that doesn't mean that there isn't a lot of crap out there.

JCpies
16th Jan 2011, 09:35
Someone said America and intellectual in the same line?

Joke joke.