PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex:HR's play time ?

bojo0noja
10th Jan 2011, 19:03
I know that the game isn't completely finished but I just needed to ask the question. Deus Ex The Conspiracy had roughly 15 hours of play time to finish the game and that's just rushing to the end. First of all let me just say that Deus Ex in my opinion is the greatest game ever made (PC Gamer nominated it for greatest game ever as well in their 2010 February issue) and I personally think that the time to finish the game was perfect. Yes I am a fan of Deus Ex and I think that taking this much time to finish the game is perfect. I would really like to see Human Revolution being this long. If someone has information on how long they're planning to make the game please let us know. And why we're on the topic how long did you it take you guys to finish the game your first time...if you can remember that is. It took me around 19 hours.

VectorM
10th Jan 2011, 19:11
They said it's around 25 hours long on average.

Jerion
10th Jan 2011, 19:37
They say it's around 25 hours long for a no-side-stuff average. 40 average if you get into the world and side stuff.

AlexOfSpades
10th Jan 2011, 21:07
Jerion has played the game, so i think he's right.

luminar
10th Jan 2011, 21:20
Jerion has played the game, so i think he's right.

The whole game?

bojo0noja
10th Jan 2011, 21:32
They say it's around 25 hours long for a no-side-stuff average. 40 average if you get into the world and side stuff.

Thank you very much for the information :) I really appreciate this. And I would like to say that 25 hours is really good. I am a long hardcore Deus Ex fan and I just know that Eidos will show us something amazing with Human Revolution. Thumbs up guys

Pretentious Old Man.
10th Jan 2011, 22:22
I don't suppose we can't have any hints as to roughly how many levels that means....

Jerion?

sonicsidewinder
11th Jan 2011, 00:13
They say a lot of things...

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground... all we know is, he's called the Stig.

Jerion
11th Jan 2011, 00:27
[QUOTE=Pretentious Old Man.;1552624]I don't suppose we can't have any hints as to roughly how many levels that means....

Jerion?[/]

Nope.

Pretentious Old Man.
11th Jan 2011, 16:26
Nope.

Thought not. Worth a try.

LeMoN_LiMe
11th Jan 2011, 22:25
40 hours hmmm?

40-25=15

That means there is 15 hours of side quests?

Hard to have 15 hours of interactive side quests.

I feel some completely random, scripted errand boy quests coming on..............

Shralla
11th Jan 2011, 23:11
Random yet scripted?

What are you talking about?

Senka
11th Jan 2011, 23:47
I think he means random in substance. Ie Fetch me x number of Y's before Z.

VectorM
12th Jan 2011, 10:17
If New Vegas could have so many side quests, I don't see why HR can't.

Crane
12th Jan 2011, 10:58
Based on the trends I've noticed with developer estimations of game time, we're probably actually looking at a 15-20 hour main quest, and about 25-30 hours of total playtime.

Kvltism
12th Jan 2011, 11:04
30 hours wouldn't be too bad, assuming there's plenty of replay value.

Shralla
12th Jan 2011, 19:02
I don't see how thirty hours would be bad, even without a lot of replay value. That's more than three times longer than your average single-player campaign for anything that isn't an Elder Scrolls-level RPG.

AlexOfSpades
13th Jan 2011, 00:54
The whole game?

More than us, at least

DevlinGFS
13th Jan 2011, 01:05
If the game ran 25 - 30 hours including side quests, but at least 10 - 15 hours main story substance I'd be very happy. Also I'd hope they would support the game with DLC, a few new areas and missions would be great.

Given the nature of the game my first play-though I would want to see as much as possible, then go back and see what I can do differently. I'd want to play though several ways, stealth/all out shooting/as few augments as possible etc if the story was good enough so with all that in mind, and if the story and mechanics are fairly decent then I could see this game lasting 100 hours + to the hardcore fan.

Also given most campaigns last 8 - 10 hours these days 25 - 30 is very decent. I just hope it is substantial as there is no multiplayer,

sonicsidewinder
13th Jan 2011, 01:45
Also I'd hope they would support the game with DLC, a few new areas and missions would be great.

I wouldnt chant that too loudly in this place buddy ;)

DevlinGFS
13th Jan 2011, 02:02
Whats wrong with DLC? lol

I'm talking expansion, like the 'old days' non of this 'cut from the game so we could sell it to you later, when it should have been included on the disc, and only take 30 mins to complete' nonsense :)

Or dare I say it... FREE DLC??

They are taking extra time to polish the game, but maybe there's still stuff they wanted to include but didn't get time to finish/polish to the standard of the rest of the game...

If the games as good as I imagine, I'd be all for more of it... for the right price of course!

Jerion
13th Jan 2011, 02:04
So you're talking stuff like the Borderlands General Knoxx DLC then? Proper expansions that take at least five to eight hours. :)

Jerion
13th Jan 2011, 02:24
That would be interesting...having DLC be affected by action/consequence hooks in the main story. Doable, but restricted to one-way alterations. It would be neat to have main-game choices affect how DLC plays out. It would be crap to have main-game story consequences because you didn't put out the money for a DLC mission.

spy81
17th Jan 2011, 19:13
http://www.destructoid.com/deus-ex-human-revolution-to-be-over-25-hours-long-191856.phtml

This is definitely good news in my opinion. ;)

BigBoss
18th Jan 2011, 04:18
There's another thread that the admin said that the campaign is at LEAST 40, which is far more credible than anything else on this thread.

reticulate
18th Jan 2011, 06:33
I wouldnt chant that too loudly in this place buddy ;)

Eh, I could easily argue that 2010 saw some of the best DLC ever. I think it really depends on how the developer approaches it.

DXeXodus
18th Jan 2011, 08:35
I wouldn't be adverse to DLC so long as it is substantial. Zombie Island of Dr Ned for Borderlands is what comes to mind. As for the play time... I am happy with what I am hearing. I generally take pretty long to finish a game anyway. Love playing around in the world and looking for Easter Eggs ;)

ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
18th Jan 2011, 12:40
30 hours isn't always good if 15 of it is boring. The good thing with shorter games is the experience is at least memorable all the way through.

Rheinhold
18th Jan 2011, 13:30
30 hours isn't always good if 15 of it is boring. The good thing with shorter games is the experience is at least memorable all the way through.

When put a bit differently but still meaning the same thing:
shorter games are easier to rememebr entirely, because there only happened 1 or 2 thongs along the line.

Now, Deus Ex is a game that needs to be long. In a true and good DX game, a LOT must happen. A storyline that fits in 15 hours is just too superficial for DX.

So I am very happy when a speed-playthrough is about 30 hours, and the complete playthrough about double that.
I am not the kind of guy that isnt going to replay a good game, only because it takes long to do one playthrough...

zombieturtle01
18th Jan 2011, 17:11
http://scrawlfx.com/2011/01/deus-ex-human-revolution-is-25-hours-long

BUT... not according to this

http://twitter.com/eidosmontreal/status/27030531946319872

Jerion
18th Jan 2011, 17:32
Like it's been said: 25 hours is the basic play-through. Considerably more if you get into the game, it's options, and the world.

VectorM
18th Jan 2011, 18:26
Now, Deus Ex is a game that needs to be long. In a true and good DX game, a LOT must happen. A storyline that fits in 15 hours is just too superficial for DX

It's not like all of those 20-something hours of the average DX playthrough were nothing but story.

zombieturtle01
18th Jan 2011, 19:01
**** nevermind edit

BigBoss
18th Jan 2011, 19:31
It's not like all of those 20-something hours of the average DX playthrough were nothing but story.

According to the people on this forum, yes it was(in fact you could allegedly play through ten times without discovering everything, effectively making it a new experience every time!). Oh, and the crowbar melee is far superior to any kind of added combat........and the original theme from the original game should play at the start of dxhr....... and the art style is wrong.........and it shouldn't come with any dlc........and the augmented edition is crap because it only has "generic" CE stuff and nothing original like a lighter(?), or a whiskey glass(wtf)........ I really hope the team doesn't actually listen to this ****, otherwise it would be a terrible game that no one I know as well as myself, would buy.

Unstoppable
18th Jan 2011, 20:41
Sounds like the game is going very well. Gamespy from PC Gamer Uk reports that the game can now be completed from start to finish. Also that 25 hours is the bare minimum testers are able to finish the game in.

Overall I think it's reasonable to assume the game will offer 40+ gameplay hours if you are willing to explore everything. That is pretty good.

I just hope they offer something for players when they beat the game to play again.

bojo0noja
22nd Jan 2011, 15:24
Oh no please don't ruin the game with DLC. I pre-ordered the game so I can get all the sruff from the start. Please oh please I don't care if it's the best DLC in the entire universe nominated by GOD himself for the next century. I wan a perfect game and the guys at Eidos are making that perfect game and now you guys throw in the idea of a DLC. Seriously dudes I thought you were better than this...

Shralla
22nd Jan 2011, 18:43
There's nothing inherently wrong with DLC. Stop *****ing about nothing.

Jerion
22nd Jan 2011, 19:01
Sounds like the game is going very well. Gamespy from PC Gamer Uk reports that the game can now be completed from start to finish. Also that 25 hours is the bare minimum testers are able to finish the game in.

Overall I think it's reasonable to assume the game will offer 40+ gameplay hours if you are willing to explore everything. That is pretty good.

I just hope they offer something for players when they beat the game to play again.

Well, you can't explore everything in a single play-through anyway. So that's forty hours without doing everything. :)

bojo0noja
22nd Jan 2011, 19:11
There's nothing inherently wrong with DLC. Stop *****ing about nothing.

There isn't anything wrong with it. It's just unnecessary. If they can make more and more content why not make the game for a longer period of time and then release it. I know I'm overreacting about this but for the first time ever a studio is actually making good decisions about their game and they are really dedicated to it. And so far the decisions they've made are for a perfect game.:thumb:

bojo0noja
22nd Jan 2011, 19:13
Well, you can't explore everything in a single play-through anyway. So that's forty hours without doing everything. :)

I wonder if you can free roam after beating the game :scratch: That way you can go everywhere and finish off some side quests and explore the game. :)

Fox89
22nd Jan 2011, 19:15
There isn't anything wrong with it. It's just unnecessary. If they can make more and more content why not make the game for a longer period of time and then release it.

If Bioware had done that Mass Effect 2 would have been released about a year or so later than it actually was whilst they finished making Lair of the Shadowbroker. Sometimes, games only get DLC if they are commercially successful enough to justify it and people want more of that game. So there are perfectly legitimate reasons behind a lot of DLC.

Launch DLC though is pretty lame. Well, free launch DLC is fine as that's a case of "extra stuff we did whilst the main game was being tested", but pre-order bonuses or paid launch DLC feels like a rip-off.

bojo0noja
22nd Jan 2011, 19:24
If Bioware had done that Mass Effect 2 would have been released about a year or so later than it actually was whilst they finished making Lair of the Shadowbroker. Sometimes, games only get DLC if they are commercially successful enough to justify it and people want more of that game. So there are perfectly legitimate reasons behind a lot of DLC.

Launch DLC though is pretty lame. Well, free launch DLC is fine as that's a case of "extra stuff we did whilst the main game was being tested", but pre-order bonuses or paid launch DLC feels like a rip-off.

Yeah that's completely true and I respect Bioware and all but still. This game already has pre-order bonuses why do we need DLC later? OK if it's free no problem but it jsut doesn't feel right. This game is already 40 hours long how much more do you want. Mass Effect 2 with all it's DLC was about 30 hours long. I'm just saying it feels unnecessary that's all. :/

VectorM
22nd Jan 2011, 20:52
I wonder if you can free roam after beating the game :scratch: That way you can go everywhere and finish off some side quests and explore the game. :)

Have you ever played any Deus Ex games at all :scratch:

bojo0noja
22nd Jan 2011, 21:16
Have you ever played any Deus Ex games at all :scratch:

Only the first one and I never finished it. I am gonna play it and Invisible War in a month or two.

Jerion
23rd Jan 2011, 00:07
Given the design of the missions and maps, free roam after plot completion would make no sense.

FrankCSIS
23rd Jan 2011, 02:14
I'm very much hoping for semi-freeroam after certain missions. It was a major point for me in the original, this idea of continuity in between "levels", which rarely felt as such.

sageza
27th Aug 2011, 23:35
19 houres...
i finished it in 19 houres .
only missed 1 sidequest (Talion A.D.).
i played on normal.
i feel duped... really hope for some FREE dlc to give me some more playtime with it.

greetz

The_Audiophile
28th Aug 2011, 00:31
19 houres...
i played on normal.
i feel duped... really hope for some FREE dlc to give me some more playtime with it.

greetz

This is an FPS/Stealth game with RPG elements, it's not The Elder Scrolls. 19 hours is twice the length of the average action game, and it's pretty similar to some other rpg hybrids like Mass Effect.

Boradam
28th Aug 2011, 00:34
19 houres...
i played on normal.

greetz

They have alllloot more sidequests in hidden achievements I believe.

MaxxQ1
28th Aug 2011, 00:37
I now have 25 hours into the game, and I still haven't finished the morgue search. I'm playing stealthy and as non-lethal as possible, and I take my time watching victims....errrr, enemies patrol patterns to make unobserved takedowns. I also explore every single nook and cranny I can, and drop back to Adam's apartment every so often to drop off extra ammo, or pick up a weapons mod that I had no use for earlier. Lastly, I've also been hacking every computer/security lock, etc., that I can find.

Blackbird SR-71C
28th Aug 2011, 01:10
Game was released yesterday at 0:00 AM/PM (midnight) and I've been playing basiaclly all the time since then. I've only just beaten the second out of four bosses, so I'm assuming I'm halfway through the game. But trust me, this isn't a one time experience. There's many diferent choices and approaches to evereything. I know I'm gonna go back after finishing the game and seeing the diferent outcomes you can achieve, what happens, what's possible in terms of gameplay etc.

OhSorryOldHorse
28th Aug 2011, 01:55
19 hours, and thats doing most of the side quests and exploring as much as I can (though I know I missed some quests and didnt search some places). Gonna go back through as a run and gunner haha

Fox89
28th Aug 2011, 02:24
My final clock in was 27 hours. This was with a large number of sidequests (probably most of them, I may have missed a couple) and a reasonable amount of exploring. I would call it a normal playthrough, in that I did pretty much everything that was presented to me, but I didn't go and explore every single nook and cranny.

Bradrakh
28th Aug 2011, 03:20
40 hours of total gameplay? I think I should stop dicking around making epic box forts.

sageza
28th Aug 2011, 14:20
They have alllloot more sidequests in hidden achievements I believe.

the achievements i dont have

doctorate
pacifist
foxiest of the hounds
lucky guess
hanger18
the take (did the quest, dindt take the payoff)
sentimental value (did the quest give bracelet to mom)
talion a.d. dindt find the quest at first playthrough
kevorkian complex (did the quest, dindt killed him)
the fall (did the quest, planted drugs instead of kiling him)
and legend, played on normal

so i dont think i missed much off the game at first playthrough

atm playing on hard trying pacifist & foxiest of the hounds but still... i feel duped.
i expected more from the game and more from the story
its definitly better dan deus ex 2 but not even close at the original.

just my opinion, but i really expected more.

greetz

Jovena
28th Aug 2011, 23:30
I have 66 hours in and am close to the end...sounds like I may have missed a mission "Talion AD side quest"? Looks like I will be doing another run once I am done! :)

Ludogator
29th Aug 2011, 10:48
I like how a mission is called a "quest".

So I'm going to do my quest and go buy a beer ;p