PDA

View Full Version : LIVE stating need update to play HELP!!

wantbptowork
8th Jan 2011, 05:28
OK so just bought this game (disc)
Installed and set up a windows Live account.

When I start the game windows Live asks me to log into live, which works, then box opens which states that an update for this game is available and if I dont install it it will log me out of LIVE.

So click OK, has an update box, installing box ect then back to win XP main screen.

restart game and exactly the same thing happens.

Is there a patch for this game or update or somthing.

I cant find anything here, on eidos or live about a manual patch.

Any help would be greatfull.

Thanks

Arrow
10th Jan 2011, 02:03
I remember I had something similar. I think you need to unblock Windows Live or something. It's been a while so I forget my exact solution, sorry...

I know for certain though that the problem is on Windows Live's end, not BSP's.

arth1
19th Feb 2012, 22:01
OK so just bought this game (disc)
Installed and set up a windows Live account.

When I start the game windows Live asks me to log into live, which works, then box opens which states that an update for this game is available and if I dont install it it will log me out of LIVE.

So click OK, has an update box, installing box ect then back to win XP main screen.

restart game and exactly the same thing happens.

Is there a patch for this game or update or somthing.

I cant find anything here, on eidos or live about a manual patch.

Any help would be greatfull.

Thanks

I had the same problem, and traced it down to Eidos telling GFWL to run "update.exe" after downloading the patch. The problem is that you may have other files named "update.exe" in the system PATH, and those will be called instead if present. If they had used the full install path, or called ".\update.exe", there would have been no problems. Instead they (wrongly) assume that "update.exe" will start the update.exe in the current folder.
To fix, open a command prompt and type:
echo %PATH%
Now look in all of the folders listed, one by one, for files named "update.exe". Temporarily rename them before running battlefield pacific, until after the update has installed. Then rename them back.

I honestly can't believe that this passed QA. It's such a newbie error, and a bad security problem too - since battlefield pacific runs with elevated privileges due to the (useless) DVD protection, it also calls update.exe with elevated privileges. A malicious program can take care advantage of this, and as a non-admin user install an "update.exe" anywhere in the user's path, and the next time there's an update, Battlefield Pacific will run that file. Very bad, Eidos. Very bad.
Hopefully they don't call bfp.exe the same way, or there are two security holes.