PDA

View Full Version : Question! I'm new here :)

mattdyer0
2nd Jan 2011, 05:25
Hey all! HUGE LoK fan. I just played through Guardian of Light as Raziel, so I've been on a LoK binge for the past few days :)

Anyway, I just realized I'm really confused about something story-wise. I've played every game in the series multiple times (favorite game series of all time), so it's not like it's explained in game.

The Sarafan Lord (or Unspoken, whichever) takes control of Mortanius to murder Ariel, and at the end of the game to morph him. Now, BO2 takes place on an altered timeline, made possible by Raziel raising Janos in Defiance. So, since BO1 technically takes place on the UN-altered timeline...WHERE THE HECK WERE THE HYLDEN during the SR1 era???

This also begs the question...why was Kain so worried at the end of SR2 about the Hylden? If he really got "new memories" through the timeline shift at the end, wouldn't he have known that his younger self would destroy the Device/kill the Sarafan Lord?

Thanks!

Rivenmjk
2nd Jan 2011, 06:47
welcome to eidos forums matt.

kains focus was more on preventing the events of BO2/bringing the hylden back.

i'm assuming he knew about his younger self defeating the hylden lord again..but put more focus on the threat of the hylden returning to nosgoth.

Razieltheavenger
2nd Jan 2011, 23:06
i agree with maginkura

diuqSehT
3rd Jan 2011, 04:58
Janos' heart = Kain's heart = trouble when Janos is in enemy hands.

We'd all been working towards the realization that Hylden will somehow use Janos to cheat their way through the barrier, because he's kind of the only card they're holding after BO2.
Then someone on here just said it plain: kill Janos, and there's a good chance you kill Kain due to the HoD connection.
The hylden may be saving this for when their invasion is already underway so that they can take down the last guardian in person when it counts instead of eliminating Kain over the internet ahead of time, which is less fulfilling for their vengeful selves.

Vampmaster
3rd Jan 2011, 13:01
Also the hylden get to keep Janos as a hostage in the demon dimension at the end. Either they could torture him to find another way out of the demon dimension or use his heart or blood somehow like they did to power the device. Or maybe the demon dimension will make him go mad and he'd help them for free. I'm sure BO2 was just the beginning of what they had planned.

Escaton
3rd Jan 2011, 17:20
Welcome.

So, since BO1 technically takes place on the UN-altered timeline...WHERE THE HECK WERE THE HYLDEN during the SR1 era???

The Hylden needed Janos to be revived, so that he could be controlled and used to activate the Hylden Gate. The Hylden could then begin trashing Nosgoth (which is exactly what happens at the end of Defiance), but Janos was never revived in the unaltered timeline, so they (including the Sarafan Lord) remained trapped in the Demon Dimension, and were no threat to Kain's empire.

This also begs the question...why was Kain so worried at the end of SR2 about the Hylden? If he really got "new memories" through the timeline shift at the end, wouldn't he have known that his younger self would destroy the Device/kill the Sarafan Lord?

We don't know yet, and need a sequel to tell us. The Hylden presumably returned and did something totally horrible after Blood Omen 2, which Kain witnessed. Whatever they did seems to be a major obstacle in Kain's quest to restore Nosgoth.

It was probably supposed to be covered in The Dark Prophecy, the sequel to Defiance which unfortunately never got made. It followed the story of younger Kain after BO2, as well as the story of elder Kain after Defiance.

FearGhoul
4th Jan 2011, 03:37
Kain couldn't have been worried about the Heart of Darkness being in Janos and a possible tie to him when he said "Janos must stay dead!" He didn't know that the Heart of Darkness was in him until it was ripped out by Raziel.

Bound2Fate
4th Jan 2011, 05:09
I'm definitely rusty on my LoK specifics, but I had always assumed that BO2 is the altered timeline of Defiance, obviously minus Kain's final showdown with the Elder God, which hopefully someday we will see. Raziel took the Heart of Darkness out of Kain, resurrected Janos, then Janos somehow is used by the Hylden to power the device, and then gets trapped in the demon dimension, which may be what Kain was warning Raziel about at the end of SR2. I just assumed that what was done in Defiance to have BO2's plot make more sense. It just seemed like the developers of BO2 really complicated the plot of LoK and it'll take several games to clear that up. But, of course, I'm probably entirely wrong.

FearGhoul
4th Jan 2011, 06:26
BO2 complicated the plot? Like it wasn't complicated already!
And yes, BO2 chronologically takes place after Defiance. Like the creators said, the events of Defiance lead to Blood Omen 2.

diuqSehT
5th Jan 2011, 23:36
Kain couldn't have been worried about the Heart of Darkness being in Janos and a possible tie to him when he said "Janos must stay dead!" He didn't know that the Heart of Darkness was in him until it was ripped out by Raziel.

Thanks.

Without any HoD worries yet, I guess Kain's worries about the future would have to center around hylden using Janos in another machine on their side of the barrier like they did on this side. Kain's new memories would have already included that threat. Also the very non-fantasy-world option is they could torture Janos for all his knowledge, including things Kain still doesn't know. That'd be a threat too. Hylden may show up next time with the Death Star's security codes. (Letting them waltz through the barrier real easy like, taking advantage of Kain's own moves, of course, because they're super informed and super annoying like that. This way, you could answer the question "Why haven't they ever invaded again?" by saying "Because Kain hasn't returned to the future yet to make his 'finishing moves' and be outsmarted by them.")