PDA

View Full Version : Battlestations Next - Sequel to BSM & BSP

LORD BLACKFIRE
1st Jan 2011, 19:01
So . . . last August a 5+ minute video appeared and then promptly disappeared on YouTube that ends with the BATTLESTATIONS NEXT logo.

The video was captured by fan sites but some took it down and replaced it with a disclaimer citing copyright claims by Square Enix.

However, the video can still be found (wonders of Google and the internet) and I've watched it. I'm not going to post the link as that just makes it easier for Square's legal people. If you are reading this then you can find it.

The video shows zero game play, only movie footage of mostly modern air combat including Apache helos.

I'm guessing a Spring/Early Summer 2012 (not 2011) release date based on the zero news about this possible game to date and past release windows.

If it releases holiday 2011 it dies due to the competition from games like Gears of War 3, Mass Efffect 3, whatever COD Activision pushes out, etc.

NOTE TO SQUARE/EIDOS: You burned your Battlestations: Midway base with BSP. We won't be promoting Battlestations Next (or whatever you end up calling it when it hits the market) with the BSM community for you the way we did with BSP.

If you continue with the BSP multiplayer model of constant respawning of units, auto aim, perks/super weapons, etc. the game will sell less than BSP. You know how quickly BSP died in comparision to BSM which is still played every day on Xbox Live. You know the lack of interest BSP generated on the Xbox.com forum in comparison to BSM. BSP sold slightly better than BSM because of a greater 360 installed based at the time of its release than BSM and because BSM fans trusted that BSP would maintain the quality of BSM's multiplayer. It didn't.

If you want to just push out a shovelware game then soldier on with your BSP model.

If you want to win the fan base back then you need to pay attention to what it wants regarding multiplayer. The Battlestations series lives or dies based on its multiplayer side just as COD does. A modern air/naval multiplayer game will be difficult to pull off on consoles due to missiles and such (no chance of a Steel Monsters map) but maybe you can do it.

Good luck.

JTMAK
3rd Jan 2011, 15:12
I agree with all of that.

If this is to be a sequel it must be one to BSM not to BSP. Most of all Eidos must have post launch support, not the dismal abandonment and shambles that was BSP post launch.

Arrow
10th Jan 2011, 02:01
I have a feeling it's fake. I just can't see the franchise being profitable enough to continue it.

That said, if Square wants to prove me wrong, I have no qualms about that either.

ShinRa Inc
16th Jan 2011, 03:43
For what it's worth, the music in the trailer I found is right off Battlestar Galactica and Dark Knight. If it's an internal demo/trailer, that would explain why it was pulled (they don't have the rights to the music). Or it points to it being someone's personal project...which wouldn't explain why Square DMCA'd it, tho.

Axis_Crusher
17th Jan 2011, 14:30
Congratulations! I posted this topic near the end of last year but it got deleted only hours after. I was also almost banned from the forums because of it. "They" said that the sequel is not confirmed and all those yada-yada and I shouldn't make assumptions.

So good luck if they don't delete this post.
There's a discussion on it on the old battlestations.net forums and an open topic on BSmodHQ

Axis_Crusher
24th Jan 2011, 14:01
I have a feeling it's fake. I just can't see the franchise being profitable enough to continue it.

That said, if Square wants to prove me wrong, I have no qualms about that either.

You deleted my post....what makes this one more special?

chip5541
25th Jan 2011, 22:54
Axis, sorry for the delay. My PC monitor bit the dust. I am now using a 300lbs ancient monitor. *bleh*

The removal of the old thread was because it had a link to the video.

I have not heard anything on if Battlestations: Next video was real or not. As soon as I hear something I will be more than happy to post the news.

I understand the feelings because of the change in gameplay between Midway and Pacific. I believe that Pacific had been changed because of the previous complaints of Midway posted on these boards and in the questionnaire section between select players. I am sure the developers are well aware of the shortcomings and the wish list of the players and IF a sequel is planned then those will be taken into account for the gameplay design.

LORD BLACKFIRE
26th Jan 2011, 02:33
I believe that Pacific had been changed because of the previous complaints of Midway posted on these boards and in the questionnaire section between select players. I am sure the developers are well aware of the shortcomings and the wish list of the players and IF a sequel is planned then those will be taken into account for the gameplay design.

I recall you or somebody posted something similar long ago, perhaps around the time of the demo for BSP. I went back and looked over all of those early Midway comments. What I found, if I recall correctly, were some complaints posted in the first 2-8 weeks about lack of respawns and slow pace of play.

Then those posters disappeared or changed their tune. It seemed very obvious to me that research for BSP on the boards was limited to a narrow window early in BSM's history. If decisions were made to try to appease those early complaints ... fine BUT should not have alienated those who remained as the core fan base. Want more Solomons type maps (constant respawns)? Fine BUT don't make the whole game Solomons!

Finally, the few people who I know from BSM who were in the survey claim that the end BSP product was not what they expected or asked for. Maybe it's like asking people if they voted for Nixon and never being able to find somebody who'll admit it but I doubt it.

Axis_Crusher
26th Jan 2011, 11:41
The removal of the old thread was because it had a link to the video.

So if it was the link, why not ask me to remove it if it is so offending? There actually are people that wanted the link to see the video. Is it a crime to give people what they want?

chip5541
26th Jan 2011, 16:29
It was a complaint that was consistent. To be honest I believe those involved in the closed questionnaire should have also been part of a closed alpha/beta. That way feedback could have been much more specific.

Axis, absolutely not a crime however I do not believe that the management even wanted the leaked (??) trailer discussed. Maybe because it just a tech demo submission for a proposed project. To be honest the old Mithis did this with several games where a trailer of what they wanted to do and submitted to the publisher. This was done with Midway

NVSzkfzdKPg

and the other game called Nexus: the Jupiter Incident

BhZQEvg1V0Y

As was mentioned above, it may also have been removed because of the music licensing. Axis, it was nothing personal and I hope you don't feel it was. Linking to a site that had the trailer or linking directly to the trailer had to be removed.

Axis_Crusher
26th Jan 2011, 16:49
As was mentioned above, it may also have been removed because of the music licensing. Axis, it was nothing personal and I hope you don't feel it was. Linking to a site that had the trailer or linking directly to the trailer had to be removed.

Then you just could simply have asked me to remove the link or do it yourself. I can understand why it had to be removed, but not the whole post

chip5541
26th Jan 2011, 22:52
To be honest I don't think this thread is supposed to be open since nothing official has been announced. I will try and get an answer for you asap.

LORD BLACKFIRE
27th Jan 2011, 01:26
Well, considering there's no link to the video and this is about the most activity this board has seen in awhile, I hope this thread isn't locked.

As to the video itself, it points toward an air combat game and makes me think, if it's real, that Square is just borrowing the name "Battlestations" to promote an otherwise new game. Hopefully that impression is false. Multiplayer air combat games haven't set the world on fire on Xbox Live.

SIR SLASH
27th Jan 2011, 03:55
There still is a lot of activity on xbox for BSP! As for activity on these forums,,,i think most people gave up with them over a year ago due to all the spammers. I'll be surprised if another battlestations game is made. Even if another game is made, i hope this time they actually spend money on advertising and marketing the game. Also make the demo a lot easier for new players!

SIR SLASH
27th Jan 2011, 04:05
Another question i have;

If Square Enix were thinking of making a sequel, why would they shut down the Hungarian Studios where the previous 2 battlestations games were created?

chip5541
27th Jan 2011, 14:59
Remember that all this happened during the period that Eidos was being purchased by Square. It may have been purely economic or there focus was on upcoming projects, not projects that had been completed.

chip5541
27th Jan 2011, 17:24
I just got word that it should be ok to discuss this possible game :scratch: but please no posting of the video or links to it.

There is still no official word on if the leak had been just a proposal, work in progress or just someone wishful thinking from a bored fan. As soon as I hear anything I will be more than happy to post the news.

Axis_Crusher
27th Jan 2011, 19:27
Meanwhile the video can easily be found by google. Ah, the wonders of ICT

chip5541
27th Jan 2011, 19:34
yup

SIR SLASH
27th Jan 2011, 23:34
so as it stands at this point in time, is there a sequel to Pacific? Or is it just speculation and hope?

LORD BLACKFIRE
28th Jan 2011, 01:46
Also make the demo a lot easier for new players!

BSP demo not easy enough? WTF!?

The reason many BSM players passed on BSP was due to the lack of challenge thanks in part to auto aim and "SHOOT HERE! (dummy)" markers on ships.

I guess this just shows that there really needs to be a kiddie mode, arcade mode (BSP), and a hardcore mode (BSM).

If designers are paying attention, we need the ability to modify maps by moving bases and starting units around, perhaps even switching some units out for others before the match starts. I'm thinking about Sibuyan Sea and the useless Japanese CA slot and the way the geography of the map and location of American airfields leads to nearly the same strategy used every game.

chip5541
28th Jan 2011, 02:52
At this point I would say discussion is theroretical. On the positive side you have a possible leaked trailer. At this point that is all for the positive. On the negative side you have the dev team closed. You also have no news, ATM, from eidos. To top it off square has not registered an Internet name.

Axis_Crusher
28th Jan 2011, 14:05
Dunno if this will put some BSP critics at ease: http://1581973.weebly.embed.tal.ki/20101120/bsmodhq-update-v20-for-bsp-224548/?viewmark=1

Sorry if the link fails and shows the main forum page, simply click "DLC" and then "BSmodHQ update v.2.0 for BSP "

chip5541
30th Jan 2011, 17:20
Nice!

SIR SLASH
31st Jan 2011, 16:18
To be honest I don't think this thread is supposed to be open since nothing official has been announced. I will try and get an answer for you asap.

Who do you speak to? I got some questions of my own to ask them.

Musashi 380
4th Feb 2012, 07:53
The reason many BSM players passed on BSP was due to the lack of challenge thanks in part to auto aim and "SHOOT HERE! (dummy)" markers on ships.

I guess this just shows that there really needs to be a kiddie mode, arcade mode (BSP), and a hardcore mode (BSM).

If designers are paying attention, we need the ability to modify maps by moving bases and starting units around, perhaps even switching some units out for others before the match starts. I'm thinking about Sibuyan Sea and the useless Japanese CA slot and the way the geography of the map and location of American airfields leads to nearly the same strategy used every game.

If anyone is even thinking of making another Battlestations, please include a BSM mode!

Also the respawning wouldn't be so bad if....
1.planes didn't magicly appear in the sky!!!
2.there was a max limit to units or points that could be used durring a match!!
3.the shipyards/airfields didn't repair as quickly as they do!

Though it would be REALLY nice if we had more control over game setup... map editor, units allowed, mode select(BSP/BSM), time of day, weather, etc. On both 360&PC!

Some questions...
1.Why not make a Battlestations WWII(Atlantic/Pacific)? Would be great w/ BSM mode!
2.Will BSP on 360 ever see another patch(game freezing bugs/still no music on Volcano/planes crashing when spawning)? If the game is being offered in marketplace there should be some kind of support.

And something else... the wait in the lobby can be a bit borring how about adding that old atari game Air-Sea Battle so there is something to do while we wait to play.

And finally if SE/Eidos need someone to bounce some ideas around with, please don't be shy.

Axis_Crusher
4th Feb 2012, 12:16
Word is that BSN might be announced Q2 of 2012 and released Q4 of 2012. This is unconfirmed as yet. What I managed to gather was that the engine also received a decent overhaul. Remember the 1st trailer of BSP? It looked like BSM with a few new units. The BSN looked and sounded like BSP with new units. At the moment I cannot confirm nor deny any of the information I have. Sofar it looks like it will use an engine similar to the IL2 series for graphics and flight with a touch of the Silent Hunter series from what I saw.

Republican
2nd Jun 2012, 22:40
Word is that BSN might be announced Q2 of 2012 and released Q4 of 2012. This is unconfirmed as yet. What I managed to gather was that the engine also received a decent overhaul. Remember the 1st trailer of BSP? It looked like BSM with a few new units. The BSN looked and sounded like BSP with new units. At the moment I cannot confirm nor deny any of the information I have. Sofar it looks like it will use an engine similar to the IL2 series for graphics and flight with a touch of the Silent Hunter series from what I saw.

Where'd you here this?

Musashi1942
6th Jun 2012, 13:24
A BS3 in 2012 would be fantastic! Still loads of people on Xbox Live playing this game. It would be a day 1 purchase for me and surely many others.

Whisky_Tango
17th Feb 2013, 00:57
so 2 years later will there be a sequel to battlestations pacific?

Axis_Crusher
17th Feb 2013, 08:15
Not quite. The only hope is for the limited modding community to bring forth a mod of this capacity. We are very limited in resources but breakthroughs are being made. In the meanwhile you can look forward to the Advanced Warfare Pack and BSmodHQ update v.3.0 for BSP which is nearing completion.

chip5541
9th Apr 2013, 09:16
I have been keeping my ears open but still nothing yet. As a famous poet once said "I have been dead before" so I am not giving up hope to one day seeing a sequal or at least a spiritial successor.