PDA

View Full Version : Official TR9 multiplayer thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

LARALOVERnr1
24th Dec 2010, 00:04
*** Updates are sorted new to old ***

Update Jan 28, 2012 by Driber - new MP screens (Shanty Town):

Pre-order Bonus Round Three: Shanty Town Multiplayer Map Revealed

Our final wave of pre-order DLC has been revealed! Select retail partners are offering up the “Shanty Town” multiplayer map as a bonus for grabbing Tomb Raider early.

The island of Yamatai contains a wide variety of environments. Most were formed naturally; many others were built long ago. However the Shanty Town is one of the relatively newer areas, having been cobbled together by the Scavengers using scrap and other debris found on the island. This map features a ramshackle area of steep climbs, multiple ziplines (for quick escapes), and deadly traps to set for foes. The map is available as a free day one download on the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC when you pre-order from participating retailers.

To clear up a bit of confusion, this piece of DLC was previously called the “Endurance Pack” in our early planning stages since we’d not yet announced multiplayer. Check with your local retailers (such as Amazon.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tomb-Raider-Collectors-Edition-Xbox/dp/B009OXBDU0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1359413217&sr=8-6)) to see if they’re participating!

---------------------

Edit by Driber Jan 10 - Brand spanking new MP screenshots!

http://driber.net/os/tr9/Screenshots/Multiplayer/t/MP_Chasm_01.jpg (http://driber.net/os/tr9/Screenshots/Multiplayer/MP_Chasm_01.jpg)

http://driber.net/os/tr9/Screenshots/Multiplayer/t/MP_Chasm_02.jpg (http://driber.net/os/tr9/Screenshots/Multiplayer/MP_Chasm_02.jpg)

http://driber.net/os/tr9/Screenshots/Multiplayer/t/MP_Lobby.jpg (http://driber.net/os/tr9/Screenshots/Multiplayer/MP_Lobby.jpg)

---------------------

Edit by Driber Jan 9 - new MP videos!

lIW44p0p8VY

XxOzHrJK2fM

---------------------

Edit by Driber - TFH #4 containing a lot of MP goodness!

QvoQGr6cpbk

And here are ultra HQ screengrabs @ 1080p, courtesy of TranceTrouble and me :)

http://driber.net/os/tr9/Screenshots/TFH4_1080p_HQ/

---------------------

Update 28 Dec 2012 - MP officially announced!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8081/8317670585_8a73847539.jpg

Very exciting news to (finally) confirm to you guys! Lara’s on the February cover of OXM, paired with a big announcement. Tomb Raider will include a multiplayer offering thanks to the hard work of our sister-studio, the hugely talented Eidos Montreal. The team at Eidos Montreal has been working away at the multiplayer while we focused everything on the single-player offering.

I know you all will have dozens and dozens of questions – hang in there. OXM has the exclusive details for now. We’ll have lots of information coming out of CES in early January. I can’t answer much (anything) until then.

I hope you guys are excited! We’ll have to create a new thread closer to launch to share gamer tags and usernames and so on – that way we can play together!

---------------------

Update Dec 23, 2012 - New info,

Tomb Raider GAME Exclusive Edition Product Details
Released on 05-Mar-2013

A Survivor Is Born in Tomb Raider GAME Exclusive Edition for PlayStation 3

GAME Exclusive Edition Details:

The in-game Explorer Bundle is Only At GAME. Included in this bundle is an exploration themed Challenge Tomb and an early access bonus survival advantage:

Challenge Tomb - An exclusive tomb for Lara to raid! In this new location, Lara will encounter all new environment puzzles that will test her abilities
Fast Climb Upgrade - Early access to the fast climb skill upgrade will let Lara ascend mountain faces more quickly. Handy when avoiding her attackers in a fight to take the higher ground!

Key Features of Tomb Raider on PlayStation 3:

A Turning Point: Experience Lara Croft’s intense origin story from a young woman to a hardened survivor.
An All-New Raiding Experience: Explore a mysterious island filled with environmental puzzles, visceral combat, and ancient tombs to discover.
Fight to Live: Salvage resources, gain experience, and upgrade Lara’s weapons to survive the island’s hostile inhabitants.
Survive as a Team: Play a variety of multiplayer modes as Lara’s Shipmates or Yamatai’s Scavengers.
Winner of 44 E3 awards including IGN’s Game of Show 2012

source: http://www.game.co.uk/en/tomb-raider-game-exclusive-edition-187594?pageSize=20&searchTerm=Tomb%20Raider

---------------------

Update Dec 15, 2012 - Interesting info found by forum member parazombie:

http://i.imgur.com/LtitC.png (http://static.tumblr.com/nfpdqyl/yijmeu3y4/tr_xbox_360.jpg)
click for full image | for more proof, jump over to http://tombraider.tumblr.com/ and have a look at the header! ^_^

I've not got much experience with this phrase BUUUUUT... you all know where I'm going with this.

Does this confirm multiplayer? Could it be referring to scoreboards the game might have? Possibly the DLC?

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?! :D
----

Also, I did some research! I was just scanning between games that have [B]DLC & no multiplayer and games with multiplayer and it seems only games with mutiplayer have that written on them! I even went on to check games with leaderboards and they did not have it either! Definitely backs up the multiplayer theory!

---------------------

Original post by LARALOVERnr.1:

On the website gamasutra (http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/ViewCompanyProfile.asp?CompanyProfileID=3814) Crystal Dynamics recently posted two vacancy's asking for a 'multiplayer producer' and a 'senior multiplayer game designer' for an 'upcoming action adventure title'. The vacancy's have been removed now and Crystal Dynamics had no comments but refused to give more information. A multiplayer mode for Tomb Raider? Or maybe a brand new action adventure title that yet has to be announced?

check this article (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/22/tomb-raider-dev-seeking-multiplayer-developers/) for the full story :)

RoombelinaUK
24th Dec 2010, 08:52
On the website gamasutra (http://jobs.gamasutra.com/jobseekerx/ViewCompanyProfile.asp?CompanyProfileID=3814) Crystal Dynamics recently posted two vacancy's asking for a 'multiplayer producer' and a 'senior multiplayer game designer' for an 'upcoming action adventure title'. The vacancy's have been removed now and Crystal Dynamics had no comments but refused to give more information. A multiplayer mode for Tomb Raider? Or maybe a brand new action adventure title that yet has to be announced?

check this article (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/22/tomb-raider-dev-seeking-multiplayer-developers/) for the full story :)

It's Tomb Raider and I'm not surprised.... nearly 95% of the hyped up games coming out next year have a multiplayer feature.

Sam_kain
24th Dec 2010, 09:23
ops, multi-player !!!, things may get messy

BlackThor
24th Dec 2010, 18:07
well in the podcast, the developers did say they were thinking about incorporating multiplayer, but they were unsure. but personally i think multiplayer missions would be kind of cool

Rachie
27th Dec 2010, 22:58
Maybe we could run around the island as Lara and Conrad Roth? :D Who knows how that would work, though. With they gameplay they have intended, it might be difficult to implement multiplayer in there as well, unless it's like a side-mission-after-completion kind of thing.

But still, it's all speculation at this point, isn't it? :D

BraveNewGuy
29th Dec 2010, 16:29
LOL , this would be a disaster and I don't think CD will even think about it

ZakKa89
29th Dec 2010, 18:13
Co op would be great if it's anything as good as the guardian of light

TombRaiderChick93
21st Jan 2011, 18:08
i was just thinkin about this today....
what do you guys think? could it work? it would be something new and there are a lot of things they could do with it, but idk...

LC is Me
21st Jan 2011, 19:02
If we knew more about the game, I would be able to really go in depthe with it.
But based off of some of the info we have, it is possibly doable....?

The whole base camp thing has me thinking some. Otherwise, I don't think so.

Ants_27_
21st Jan 2011, 20:12
I agree LC is Me if we had more information you could go in more detail... but as you said the base camp thing got me thinking too and helped me remember that Demon Souls game which released on PS3. Although I never played it I've heard that it has online but in the way that you occasionally see the other player in 'their' world before they disappear again... or you get to see a small video kinda thing to see how they died.

One other thing I am led to believe is that players have the ability to warn other players of perhaps a difficult fight a head or certain other dangers.

That last bit could work. The player could leave a hint to how to solve a certain puzzle or a quick generally location of something you are looking for perhaps?

larafan25
21st Jan 2011, 20:42
It could defiantly be done and done so in a unique way which reflects what TR (new TR) is. If it is done CD can't just poop out a bunch of the same old death matches and usual modes, they need to get creative. Why have the usual multiplayer when GOL was praised for it's true unique cooperative experience?

That being said I am ok with these basic modes being the base upon which the multiplayer modes are created.

A Tomb Raider death match would take place in a large wild area hopefully, there would be many natural obstacles such as pits and areas which need to be climbed around or hidden water tunnels. The environments would need to be complex enough to support each player's method of traversal and their own strategy. As for killing opponents, it should not just be guns, it should be gear and tools which are multi-functional like in the actual game. As well there should be ancient traps which can be set to remotely kill your opponents.

Then there should obviously be some sort of capture the flag mode, however instead of a random map with flags at each end there should be only 1 flag which the players can get. So a race for the treasure. Like most Tomb Raider maps this one should be layered, natural open environment that leads down beneath the earth to tunnels and tombs and leads into a chamber with the treasure (flag) which once collected would then need to be brought back to the base camp.

Many interesting ideas which could be used, hopefully CD do so.

Ants_27_
21st Jan 2011, 21:22
Expanding on the one flag thing. Rather than have the generic pits and traps which I'm sure has been done you could include the concept of complex riddles that send the players in directions away from each other (think a network of tunnels one running atop the other and so on so forth), keeping the solidarity to the game that the fans go on about but also giving the added tension that one of the other player may have half decoded theirs by the point of you finding the location of a mini one. It will be timed but I don't mean for the thing to be mega hard. But once you have decoded your then you have access to the one object that your all fighting for and maybe that object comes with benefits, like a bonus (temporary or not) to use within your own single player game.

Basically, one complex riddle is given to the player, generated radnomly so non have the same but of course of the same level of difficulty. In order to crack it you have to solve various mini-versions, then avoiding the traps and pits to reach the mini your searching for. As for the grand one, if you attempt to guess then the game could spawn an enemy to push you more away from the puzzle requiring you to forcefully kill the enemy by unconventional means.

That could be one game mode at least in the universe of filing cabinets within my head and I'm sure I've got more... unless that's already been done before? Ah, well if it has.

Sorry, I've not had much sleep therefore I shall read upon this in the morning and no doubt regret it!:lol:

Silvermoth
21st Jan 2011, 23:10
It would be nice but then again, Elder Scrolls: Oblivion was a great game without a multiplayer mode.

larafan25
21st Jan 2011, 23:23
Expanding on the one flag thing. Rather than have the generic pits and traps which I'm sure has been done you could include the concept of complex riddles that send the players in directions away from each other (think a network of tunnels one running atop the other and so on so forth), keeping the solidarity to the game that the fans go on about but also giving the added tension that one of the other player may have half decoded theirs by the point of you finding the location of a mini one. It will be timed but I don't mean for the thing to be mega hard. But once you have decoded your then you have access to the one object that your all fighting for and maybe that object comes with benefits, like a bonus (temporary or not) to use within your own single player game.

Basically, one complex riddle is given to the player, generated radnomly so non have the same but of course of the same level of difficulty. In order to crack it you have to solve various mini-versions, then avoiding the traps and pits to reach the mini your searching for. As for the grand one, if you attempt to guess then the game could spawn an enemy to push you more away from the puzzle requiring you to forcefully kill the enemy by unconventional means.

That could be one game mode at least in the universe of filing cabinets within my head and I'm sure I've got more... unless that's already been done before? Ah, well if it has.

Sorry, I've not had much sleep therefore I shall read upon this in the morning and no doubt regret it!:lol:

I forgot to mention riddles.

Also, you are right about the tension, not knowing the pace of the other players.

Isn't that Tomb Raiding? Lara is never the only one looking for the artifact, and Tomb Raiders are greedy.

I also think there could be levers (or something less contrived as GI/CD put it) that activate traps in other parts of the tunnel. Therefore you can pull a lever and hope it triggers a trap for another player, however it could very well trigger a trap for you. A randomized karma system. Could be annoying though.

JadenXI
22nd Jan 2011, 01:54
No, not unless its like Uncharted 2, apart from the main game. Survival games are more fun/intense/scary when you are by yourself.

TombRaiderChick93
24th Jan 2011, 22:32
No, not unless its like Uncharted 2, apart from the main game. Survival games are more fun/intense/scary when you are by yourself.

Thats what I mean. I know they wouldnt do it for the actual game cause it would destroy that "all alone trying to survive, tomb raider feel". But they could do like what they did for Uncharted 2 and their multiplayer. Instead of the classic deathmatch and things like that, they could create something new like the ideas mentioned above or tweak old ones to give them the TR feel. Plus could you imagine the skins we could have!

who wants to play as Jeeves the farting butler!?!?! :D

Cheese is nice.
25th Jan 2011, 08:29
I like this as an idea. However I'm pretty sure that CD might be too lazy. They are trying to create a kick ass single player game in which I really don't forsee anything warranting multiplayer. Though it would be nice( I actually had a dream about it once with all the characters from Anniversary) It is incredibly unlikely, and even if it was done, it probably wouldn't be too darn amazing.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
25th Jan 2011, 16:41
For TR I think the game works best in single player so think it might be a lot of effort to go 2 player with not so much point in doing it.

Cheese is nice.
26th Jan 2011, 07:19
I have an idea!! Let's beg them and maybe they'll do it!!!

Ants_27_
26th Jan 2011, 07:50
I have an idea!! Let's beg them and maybe they'll do it!!!

You mean beg them and they'll add multiplayer?

To be honest with you, their going to add it anyway as it generates more money probably and the fact is... its seems to be a generation now of "quick how much money can you grab" as opposed to building a legacy. Which is sad.:(

Cheese is nice.
26th Jan 2011, 08:05
You mean beg them and they'll add multiplayer?

To be honest with you, their going to add it anyway as it generates more money probably and the fact is... its seems to be a generation now of "quick how much money can you grab" as opposed to building a legacy. Which is sad.:(

Haha that is very true. But unless someone else survives the wreck in this game(which I highly doubt) and it would be too much work to make all the models for it, so it really doesn't seem quite likely. CD couldn't even fix something as simple as Natla's lips on the wii console, let alone make a bunch of multiplayer skins. But whatevs. Thanks for helping me be optimistic. I think.:scratch:

Ants_27_
26th Jan 2011, 08:32
Haha that is very true. But unless someone else survives the wreck in this game(which I highly doubt) and it would be too much work to make all the models for it, so it really doesn't seem quite likely. CD couldn't even fix something as simple as Natla's lips on the wii console, let alone make a bunch of multiplayer skins. But whatevs. Thanks for helping me be optimistic. I think.:scratch:

Well those pictures showed those two guys so other people will survive but it's a case of whether they help each other out or not. But hey, as long as they don't have that crappy 'English' accent that us British folk seem to get labeled with then its all good.:lol:

Cheese is nice.
27th Jan 2011, 01:50
Well those pictures showed those two guys so other people will survive but it's a case of whether they help each other out or not. But hey, as long as they don't have that crappy 'English' accent that us British folk seem to get labeled with then its all good.:lol:

Haha very true. Well I suggest we simply keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. o_0 Not that there is anything else we can do. :lol:

phatpantz
13th May 2011, 12:10
Tomb Raider is long overdue for a multiplayer part. I hope they include it as standard and don't expect us to pay extra for this as DLC.

aragorn2
14th May 2011, 22:20
What was great about all the TRs was the feeling of loneliness with all these adventures, seeking and temples things. I don't want to ruin it with a possible multiplayer...

Error96_
15th May 2011, 00:38
I am quite 50/50 on multiplayer. The most important thing is the single player so that has to be done right. Also everyone wants to play as Lara so I don't know how they would get a good enough second character when Amanda isn't a possible. I don't think they will go multiplayer for this one.

WinterSoldierLTE
15th May 2011, 02:48
Can't say as I'm too fond of multi-player. Nowadays alot of developers seem to put more focus on that then they do the primary storyline/campaign, and you get weak suace in what's supposed to be the main course. But whatever you gotta do to keep your product afloat in the age of "Halo" and "C.O.D." I guess.

I dunno. Maybe a death match mode where you can play as characters from previous games and double gun each other down could be cool. Not gonna lie tho, I've always been proud of CD & Eidos for not incorporating it before and staying true to the TR roots and bucking the trend as it were. I guess as long as it's not done just to bring in the $ of the C.O.D. players, I'd be ok with it. If it's just a cashgrab, I'd lose a bit of respect. Same w/ Kinect and Move capability, which I'm sure will be incorporated as well.

Perhaps as an unlockable bonus for beating the game like "The Mercenaries" from the RE games?

TheBlade
28th Nov 2011, 12:27
Has this game been confirmed as online multiplayer yet? There were rumors of Eidos/Crystal employing people to do network on apparently Tomb Raider (this was a while back) I do hope the new Tomb Raider is an online game, it needs something which won't make it flop like LCGOL did. Experience must be different each time of playing. Tomb Raider isn't supposed to be shooting people so I highly doubt that there will be 4 Laras Vs 4 Laras. It'd be a silly thing to do as I said before, I don't know how online gameplay is going to work with Tomb Raider since it's based on 'Tomb Raiding' rather than shooting like Uncharted 3 etc. All games these days rely on online gameplay for them to be coninuously played, games like Left 4 Dead etc are pretty fun to play online. If Tomb Raider doesn't have online multiplayer, I'm afraid it will be sat with TRA/TRL/TRU on the old dusty shelf ;]

dark7angel
28th Nov 2011, 12:39
I don't usually play games online, so IF this new Tomb Raider has online multiplayer mode I would like them to also had the option of local co-op (that is two gamers on the same console) as in Uncharted 3.

TheBlade
28th Nov 2011, 13:27
I don't usually play games online, so IF this new Tomb Raider has online multiplayer mode I would like them to also had the option of local co-op (that is two gamers on the same console) as in Uncharted 3.
Wow, that would also be great. Several games now support split screen offline and online P:

I wonder what other playable characters will be featured in the next Tomb Raider.

LadyRufina
28th Nov 2011, 13:38
Dear God no. Let's not get carried away. Maybe a little multiplayer aspect completely centered away from Lara but not co op characters. That would ruin the whole experience of Lara escaping the Island by herself and not without a hand to hold. Maybe a little help here and there from other survivors but not someone who is at her side all the time.

dark7angel
28th Nov 2011, 14:06
LadyR, when I mentioned local co-op with split screen I wasn't mentioning in the main game/story mode. It would be just something to add along side the online multiplayer! IF there's online multiplayer, I don't see why there couldn't be offline split screen as well.

LadyRufina
28th Nov 2011, 14:33
tbh, I'm not keen any any kind of multiplayer. I can't see how it could fit into the game and I don't want it thrown in there for the sake of it. It would be nice if it was centred away from the single player and it didn't affect it in any way e.g: gameplay time shortened because of it. But I guess if there will be a multiplayer aspect in the future, I wouldn't see any harm if there was system link but without it in the story mode.

dark7angel
28th Nov 2011, 14:52
Like I said, I'm also not into online multiplayer stuff but the truth is most games now have this feature. I'm not saying I want it in the new TR. But if CD do include it, it would be nice to also include the split screen but NOT in the main campaign - that one should remain single player! :)

a_big_house
28th Nov 2011, 17:58
I would hope that Tomb Raider will never be multiplayer. I did enjoy GOL's Co-Op however...
If Tomb Raider did have Online Multiplayer, I would hope that they avoid achievements for it and did a Local Co-Op play.

TheBlade
28th Nov 2011, 18:45
I'd would just get bored after playing the game thorugh 10-15 times ;/

Needs multiplayer!

LadyRufina
28th Nov 2011, 18:59
Mass Effect 2 didn't have multiplayer, and although I only wanted to play it through twice I still found it to be an immensly enjoyable game. Game length and content means more to me than the replayability factor. Multiplayer can ruin some games and TR is in that genre where it could be either a massive mistake or a massive hit. I personally think it could be a massive mistake but with a year until this game's release which would show us the direction in which the series is going... who knows?

a_big_house
29th Nov 2011, 08:35
I don't have Mass Effect 2 but have played it and yeah, I loved it and like Tomb Raider I think adding multiplayer for the sake of having it is pointless.
(Spaceships FTW)

Bronxz32
3rd Dec 2011, 19:38
MGS4 has/had the MGO(Metal Gear Online) a great multiplayer. Multiplayer on a new, TR i could go either way. If it's done right and it isn't a last minute thing i would welcome it.

jakobsen
3rd Dec 2011, 19:48
Only multiplayer I can imagine in TR game is Bad guys against Bad guys not involving Lara.

TheBlade
3rd Dec 2011, 19:53
Well if there's no multiplayer, there'd be no fun at all. If they announce no multiplayer, I bet a lot of the new fans may change their plans about the game. I'm expecting something to promote replay value in the game.

LadyRufina
3rd Dec 2011, 20:12
That's not necessarily true at all. None of the TR games before GoL had any aspect of multiplayer. I bet a lot of fans would be suprised if multiplayer was added. I know I would be.

a_big_house
3rd Dec 2011, 20:20
I agree with LadyR...

On an additional note to what I've already said, I think online multiplayer that consists of one area full of gun wielding maniacs is just for the under age kids that get of mouthing other people...
And from what I imagine the new Tomb Raider to be like, there won't be a place for player vs player slaughtering

jakobsen
3rd Dec 2011, 20:44
That's not necessarily true at all.

Rising sales?

I don't need it and I don't play multiplayer (only co-op re5, but it wouldn't work with TR), but if CD would add it to rise sales I wouldn't mind (as long as it don't involve Lara, she shouldn't fall that low ) ... I just wouldn't play it(multiplayer).

LadyRufina
3rd Dec 2011, 20:52
If CD just add multiplayer for no other reason than to increase sales then i'll lose some respect for them as taking the time to put in multiplayer would take time out of the story and that would just be a shame. If they put in a good multiplayer and have really thought it through and haven't sacrificed a lot of time for the single player then i'd be very happy indeed.

Darkwoodsoftime
3rd Dec 2011, 21:05
Well if there's no multiplayer, there'd be no fun at all. If they announce no multiplayer, I bet a lot of the new fans may change their plans about the game. I'm expecting something to promote replay value in the game

i doubt if u have played any TR title before ....
how do u want the MultiPlayer to be ? people gather around and solve puzzles ? :D or puzzle death match ?! maybe search and destroy... "puzzles" ?!

If CD just add multiplayer for no other reason than to increase sales then i'll lose some respect for them as taking the time to put in multiplayer would take time out of the story and that would just be a shame. If they put in a good multiplayer and have really thought it through and haven't sacrificed a lot of time for the single player then i'd be very happy indeed
yup
Seconded :D

jakobsen
3rd Dec 2011, 21:17
Well if there's no multiplayer, there'd be no fun at all. If they announce no multiplayer, I bet a lot of the new fans may change their plans about the game. I'm expecting something to promote replay value in the game.

CD in the middle...

how do u want the MultiPlayer to be ? people gather around and solve puzzles ? :D or puzzle death match ?! maybe search and destroy... "puzzles" ?

Danielsun_
3rd Dec 2011, 21:44
Multiplayer can work in any type of game its just how the developers handle it,
Bioware recently announced they are putting multiplayer into their latest mass effect game the previous titles had none of this what so ever however if done right can be very successful from what i understand the way they are doing it is you have a 4 player co op as customer characters saving the galaxy elsewhere at the same time as the single play is taking place just else where and without cross over, maybe CD could explore this possiblity, i doubt lara would be on her own in trying to escape the island..could be a bit of fun

Darkwoodsoftime
3rd Dec 2011, 22:21
Multiplayer can work in any type of game its just how the developers handle it,
Bioware recently announced they are putting multiplayer into their latest mass effect game the previous titles had none of this what so ever however if done right can be very successful from what i understand the way they are doing it is you have a 4 player co op as customer characters saving the galaxy elsewhere at the same time as the single play is taking place just else where and without cross over, maybe CD could explore this possiblity, i doubt lara would be on her own in trying to escape the island..could be a bit of fun

well from the start Mass effect's Gameplay was based on Team work . you're not alone there's always two AI following your commands . so making this MultiPlayer it's not surprising .. actually it was somehow Essential .
but Here in New TR we're talking about survival . Lara is at the top and any other characters around Should ... "pale" xD .
lol if multiplayer was somehow included they should change the Title : "Plenty of Survivors Are Born " :D

TheBlade
3rd Dec 2011, 22:27
Well, it could be like this:

1 Person as Lara
11 people as enemies, bats, debris, wolves

The aim of the mode to kill Lara Croft. You have to crash into her pick her to bits and peices.

Lol, joking that would be funny though :lol:

I want Tomb Raider to be online but the game is limited in characters. We've only seen Lara Croft by herself, I don't think there's any chance of other characters being playable along side Lara which is GOOD but it'd be fun to play as other people at some times in the game. So story online mode is a complete no no.

A puzzle solving race mode wouldn't be that impressive I don't see much point in that at all since it'd just be the same couple of puzzles over and over again.

Shooting other Laras wouldn't be any good either.

I want the game to be an online multiplayer game but i don't think it's possible since it's all about Lara Croft. Crystal will always be stuck like this, nobody wants to be another character apart from Lara Croft.

It's just about Lara Croft so online isn't going to be possible :mad2:

Who knows, maybe with the other two announced characters, they might split up and search parts of the island and you get the chance to play as all the other characters. I wish CD would just say if it's online or not. :whistle:

LadyRufina
3rd Dec 2011, 22:40
well from the start Mass effect's Gameplay was based on Team work . you're not alone there's always two AI following your commands . so making this MultiPlayer it's not surprising .. actually it was somehow Essential .
but Here in New TR we're talking about survival . Lara is at the top and any other characters around Should ... "pale" xD .
lol if multiplayer was somehow included they should change the Title : "Plenty of Survivors Are Born " :D

100% with you. It's all about Lara here. I don't really care for multiplayer on TR. Just an amazing plot, fluid gameplay and a relatable Lara, as always, will make me happy.

Darkwoodsoftime
3rd Dec 2011, 22:53
1 Person as Lara
11 people as enemies, bats, debris, wolves
haha :D this reminds me of Chronicles of Riddick multiPlayer xD

Just an amazing plot, fluid gameplay and a relatable Lara, as always
damn right

---
ps : sry for spam :-"

TheBlade
4th Dec 2011, 01:22
Well then, no multiplayer? I'd be interested in re-doing the campaign as other characters, or playing through roth's or the other guys experience in the same time line as Lara's adventure.

TheBlade
4th Dec 2011, 04:15
Okay, so I found the website which shows a Job for the new Tomb Raider regarding Multiplayer. It pretty much confirms that Tomb Raider will be a multiplayer game, hopefully it's true (it looks very legit). The job is already taken so I guess they may have already started.

I wonder how it's going to work :confused:

It says 'co-op' & 'player vs player'

o.o;

DamianGraham
4th Dec 2011, 04:19
Honestly I hope they don't go in that direction, I know it's a reboot of not only the game, but the franchise, but online co-op for tomb raider just doesn't do it for me... it's not... idk as adventerous? haha Ms. Croft does a good enough job on her own without adding random characters in the mix to create cheap alternative gameplay angles... it was okay for GoL, but i found i played it either with a friend here at home, or alone. online isn't really good for games that aren't originally intended to be played online... if i make sense? lol

d1n0_xD
4th Dec 2011, 07:26
Yeah, but, when I think about it, you don't have to do the co-op, you can still play only as Lara, but there's also Roth there, so I don't know, you invite your friend over and you play, why not? :D
It actually fits in this game, IMO, because she's just starting out (and remember, you can always not play co-op ;) ) but in the future games, no.

Danielsun_
4th Dec 2011, 12:09
Im pretty sure that if they include multiplayer in this game it wont detract too much from the single player (CD know they need that polished if they want good sales) multiplayer is probably just to add to replayability and plus its an option, you dont necessarily have to play it

LadyRufina
4th Dec 2011, 13:57
It's not a matter of whether or not we want to play it. It's the matter that if they just make a multiplayer for the sake of it and it's rubbish and they've detracted the experience of the single player from it, then i'll be totally against multiplayer. The full TR games have never had multiplayer before and I just don't think it needs it.

TheBlade
4th Dec 2011, 15:27
For those who are interested:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2z55d2f.png

Sr Game Designer Multi Player

Game Designer Multi-Player

Responsibilities

- Responsible for the overall multi player design vision for the game

- Responsible for being a liaison to our partner studio in Montreal

- Act as producer for levels you design, as well as other parts of the game, collaborating across disciplines to get work done and clear dependencies, ensuring deadlines are met, and championing aspects of the game play

- Work directly with artists, programmers, animators and other game designers to contribute to the vision of the game

- Responsible for all aspects of multi-player game design including co-op, player vs. player, and creation of maps and environments

Requirements & Skills

- Experience designing multi-player levels for console games

- Minimum 5 years of game design experience with at least 2-3 in multi-player

- Strong methodology and problem solving ability and with a focus on creative, fun and innovative solutions

- Excellent communication skills and problem solving

- Strong experience with both system and level design

- Exceptional team player with the ability to collaborate with other team members in design, art, animation and programming

- Willingness to take design direction when offered

- Understands the competitive landscape of the action adventure genre

- Very good working knowledge of Maya

- Experience of developing third-person action games

- A passion for video games and an avid gamer

- Ability to travel up to 50%

--

Producer Multi-Player

Crystal Dynamics is looking for a talented, enthusiastic, and highly organized individual with demonstrable project management experience to take on a major production role in the multi-player part of an upcoming action adventure title. For this role, we are looking for an individual with outstanding communication skills and a proven track record in production, having successfully produced or managed a team designing multi-player parts of an AAA title.

This Producer will work in support of the Executive Producer to coordinate, track, and guide activities of the multi-player staff to ensure that projects are completed on time and with high quality. Exposure to formal project management techniques in an internal development environment is a must as well as knowing how to lead a team toward milestone achievements..

Responsibilities:

- Works with Executive Producer and leads in each discipline to determine resources necessary to see projects through to completion.

- Coordinates tracks and manages the activities of the team to ensure that project tasks are completed on time.

- Provides motivation and direction to ensure that project goals, objectives, milestones and deliverables are achieved.

- Contributes to a positive work environment.

- Help provide leadership and vision for the multi-player side of the title, working with the Executive Producer, Sr producers, and Creative Director.

- Other duties as assigned.

Requirements:

- Experience producing the multi-player parts of a AAA title including creation of maps, player vs. player, and co-op.

- Ability to communicate effectively and mediate between programming, art, animation and design personnel.

- Internal and External development experience

- Experience managing teams and delivering products on time.

- Knowledge of software development process and project management.

- Proven experience managing schedules and design requirements to implement multi-player features.

- Aggressiveness in finding new ways to problem-solve and work with resolutions.

- Unrelenting self-motivation and initiative.

- Ability to travel up to 50%

- Strong Knowledge of Microsoft Project, Excel, Word, & PowerPoint

- A passion for video games and an understanding of the competitive landscape.

LadyRufina
4th Dec 2011, 16:23
So I guess TR is going for quite a strong Multiplayer aspect after all. Let's hope they really know what they're doing with it.

d1n0_xD
4th Dec 2011, 16:38
Wow, that's quite a find. And very interesting too. Do you have a link to that? 'Cause I can't manage to find that.

TheBlade
4th Dec 2011, 16:50
Wow, that's quite a find. And very interesting too. Do you have a link to that? 'Cause I can't manage to find that.

This was posted in December 2010, right after the game was announced. There is a website which lists a number of jobs. These jobs in the gaming industry appeared about Tomb Raider multiplayer stuff.

The links to the jobs themselves have been removed since it's been taken. I remember them being on there though, someone took screenshot and copy & pasted the job listing as seen in the post above.

I guess Tomb Raider will have multiplayer :rasp:

The website it was posted on is: http://www.gamasutra.com/jobs/

d1n0_xD
4th Dec 2011, 16:52
Oh :D Seems odd they didn't mention this. Well, dammit, I can't wait for E3 2012! XD

TheBlade
4th Dec 2011, 16:56
Oh :D Seems odd they didn't mention this. Well, dammit, I can't wait for E3 2012! XDThey wouldn't randomly mention it on a forum or their official website. They do it on job websites where people actually look for jobs. They won't have mentioned anything because it wouldn't have been fully implemented yet. I am expecting a playable demo of Tomb Raider at E3 2012 P: It's going to be great to see the game again.

This looks very real, Capcom have posted their jobs on there too!

Driber
6th Dec 2011, 08:59
For what it's worth, if they add MP, I would like it to be just random crew members etc fighting with each other. No Lara.

Well if there's no multiplayer, there'd be no fun at all.

Are you joking or trolling? :p

If they announce no multiplayer, I bet a lot of the new fans may change their plans about the game.

Pfff, just spoiled kids, then.

Im pretty sure that if they include multiplayer in this game it wont detract too much from the single player (CD know they need that polished if they want good sales) multiplayer is probably just to add to replayability and plus its an option, you dont necessarily have to play it

Fully agree :thumb:

If MP is added AND it doesn't take time away from the devs creating an awesome SP mode, then I'm all up for it. No one NEEDS to go to the MP section if they don't want to.

It's not a matter of whether or not we want to play it. It's the matter that if they just make a multiplayer for the sake of it and it's rubbish and they've detracted the experience of the single player from it, then i'll be totally against multiplayer. The full TR games have never had multiplayer before and I just don't think it needs it.

For someone who has been so vocal on so many occasions about the need for change, you're not being very open minded :p :D

d1n0_xD
6th Dec 2011, 09:03
For what it's worth, if they add MP, I would like it to be just random crew members etc fighting with each other. No Lara.

Then the MP would be just shooting stuff, which sucks :p But again, like you said, we don't have to play it if we don't like it :D

Driber
6th Dec 2011, 09:22
^ no, I meant that if it's only fighting, then I'd only want baddies to the do the fighting, and not involving Lara.

Of course, if there will be other elements in MP, such as co-op completing a "level", then I'd welcome that too.

If you'd include Lara in that, though, then everyone will want to pick her as a character in MP. And I definitely don't want to see a whole bunch of Lara clones running about the island. One doppelgänger was enough :lol:

d1n0_xD
6th Dec 2011, 09:35
^ Oh, right :D Would be nice to see co-op, that's where my idea of Roth comes in... He could be a playable character :D But somehow, I would like to see singleplayer only including Lara, but for co-op there would be other levels, kinda like Modern Warfare 3 and maybe a mini-story :D

Darkwoodsoftime
6th Dec 2011, 09:39
Then the MP would be just shooting stuff, which sucks But again, like you said, we don't have to play it if we don't like it
well that's what multiplayer is bout nowdays right ? :D just to kill ...
and i kinda agree with driber .. if they somehow include lara in MP it could get ...Harsh :D cuz everyone wants to be lara right ?!

so .... :
it's better that players be able to create their own characters . otherwise people just choose a few certain characters which wouldn't be anything unique (and we're exactly seeing this Assassin's creed MP !!!)
TR Gameplay is based on Platforming and stuff and from what we know so far there's no cover system . this keeps me wondering how the MP would be ?! :scratch: and i can't think of any other game that has the same elements or some sort ..... well they all have the Action but the platforming ?!
puzzle death match anyone ?! :D

if the MP somehow considers stuff other than killing ... wouldn't be better ?!:confused:

LadyRufina
6th Dec 2011, 15:36
For someone who has been so vocal on so many occasions about the need for change, you're not being very open minded :p :D

That's quite true, actually. :lol: I guess it's just because of the fact that I don't see in any way that it could add to the experience - yet. I've said that if they do it well, i'll welcome it so i'm not completely against it. I'm just worried that it might be put in just to compete with the other games an increase sales and might not be that good. Obviously I have no place to say this before we've seen any of it but I have my doubts... :rolleyes:

TheBlade
7th Dec 2011, 01:09
Maybe they'll do something similaer to Uncharted's adventure mode? Some form of mini storyline. I'd really like to play this game online. But I want the storymode itself to be single player. Multiplayer can be additional modes etc...

I also want rid of Survival instinct. It's Tomb Raider....

God, who remembers the old days when it was really hard to complete the older games?

There were no hints, it wasn't obvious, you'd have to go and buy those solution books LOL

(I was one of those people who had tiny peaks at the solution guide :))

d1n0_xD
7th Dec 2011, 08:20
^ Survival Instinct is probably going to be optional, as well as other hints and icons.

Driber
7th Dec 2011, 08:31
^ It has already been revealed that Survival Instinct IS optional :) http://driber.net/os/banana.gif

TheBlade
7th Dec 2011, 20:23
Survival instinct doesn't really make sense. I know it's a game but I don't agree with it even if I have the option to choose. Oh well, if others want to use it, they can.

LadyRufina
7th Dec 2011, 20:42
Remember that this TR game is supposed to bring in gamers that might not have played any TR games before so might want to rely on the Survival Instinct. Most of the TR gamers wouldn't use it, I wouldn't but I still think it should be there just in case.

a_big_house
8th Dec 2011, 12:06
I won't be using it, I'd like a bit of a challenge after waiting 2 years :)

Elliot Kane
8th Dec 2011, 13:04
Rather than decide whether or not to use Survival Instinct before I've got the game, I think I'll wait to see if I need it :)

As for MP, about the only way it would work, IMO, is 'find the treasure' or 'rescue Lara' missions, with teams competing to get to a person and/or object first. Having Lara playable in MP would be bad.

The job advert... 2010... When was GoL released? Anyone remember?

TheBlade
8th Dec 2011, 13:16
Rather than decide whether or not to use Survival Instinct before I've got the game, I think I'll wait to see if I need it :)

As for MP, about the only way it would work, IMO, is 'find the treasure' or 'rescue Lara' missions, with teams competing to get to a person and/or object first. Having Lara playable in MP would be bad.

:lol:

I love the idea of rescuing Lara Croft. Very nice....

Darkwoodsoftime
8th Dec 2011, 14:06

28th September 2010 GOL was released i guess

Driber
9th Dec 2011, 10:16
I won't be using it, I'd like a bit of a challenge after waiting 2 years :)

Same here. Unlike EK, I don't have to wait until having the game in my hands in order to decide whether or not I'll be using it :p

I will just briefly check out the feature to see what the big deal about it is, but for 99% I'm going to avoid that Instinct Button (the 1% being those rare cases where both me and my GF (we play together) are really hopelessly stuck and it's walkthrough time).

Tihocan
18th Jul 2012, 22:15
I've not heard anything with regards to mp in the new game - I'd assume not considering the style of the game.

Would multiplayer work?
Would you have bow/gun fights, or a cat and mouse last man standing hunter game?
Co-op?

Would like to hear your thoughts.

d1n0_xD
18th Jul 2012, 22:22
I'm not against it, I just don't see it, so no :D

Priscillia
19th Jul 2012, 11:22
Althoutgh I truly loved TR Guardian of Light gameplay, I think this would not fit to the serie. This was nice as a one shot, and could be used again within other spin-off games, but I think this is not the kind of gameplay that can be expected for Tomb Raider.

That being said... I think I would appreciate a co-op gameplay anyway if there were one, and if it was good :D

IvanaKC
19th Jul 2012, 12:07
That being said... I think I would appreciate a co-op gameplay anyway if there were one, and if it was good :D

I agree, I voted for co-op too.

Deathmatch in TR? That would be weird because I don't see how would they be able to do it.

Metalrocks
19th Jul 2012, 15:03
big no from me. MP would just not work in this game. i cant see how it can work.

Tihocan
19th Jul 2012, 21:32
Weird. I searched for threads with "multi" in the title. I guess subsets aren't recognised.
Anyway, I figure multiplayer could work if it were a hunter style game. Stealth, quick and brutal kills, perhaps wandering hostiles... though I doubt I'd miss it if it weren't there.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
19th Jul 2012, 21:44
I don't mind having a deathmatch or co-op mode in TR but my guess it wouldn't quite fit with the series. The real problem is who wants to play as the non-Lara character when the other person gets to play as Lara. I guess Amanda would be cool but she isn't even in the new timeline (at least so far).

larafan25
20th Jul 2012, 01:24
^I don't think it's so crazy to allow players to chose multiple Lara's.

My skin crawls when people express some weird dislike for that, because from most experiences of non co-op multiplayer I've played you can have the same skin as someone else, and it's extremely tolerable and not an issue.

People will be fine if you just let them chose their own skin.

I'd play as Sam, or ...damn, what's her name? Braith? Brais? Brease? IDK. I'd love to play as her though. Or Roth, or the other characters.

d1n0_xD
20th Jul 2012, 04:43
^ Damn, you see, with these new characters the multiplayer would be like Uncharted's... Not everyone can be Nathan, but not everyone wants to. There's Elena, Sully, Chloe... You just pick it and it's a shoot-em-up xD I would love to see actual meaning to the multiplayer, like, "find the treasure of a tomb before the other team does"... It would involve shooting, puzzle-solving, exploring, everything that makes Tomb Raider, well, Tomb Raider. Now that's the multiplayer I wanna see, and I want to change my vote XD
I think it's a nice idea, it wouldn't be just a mindless multiplayer, but a unique TR-style multiplayer, with different modes that define Tomb Raider :D

dark7angel
20th Jul 2012, 08:56
^I don't think it's so crazy to allow players to chose multiple Lara's.

My skin crawls when people express some weird dislike for that, because from most experiences of non co-op multiplayer I've played you can have the same skin as someone else, and it's extremely tolerable and not an issue.

People will be fine if you just let them chose their own skin.

I'd play as Sam, or ...damn, what's her name? Braith? Brais? Brease? IDK. I'd love to play as her though. Or Roth, or the other characters.

I agree with you!

I'll be honest here, I usually don't play games online, so most of the time I don't play multiplayer. But Uncharted 3 has the option of offline multiplayer, so I did play that one with my brother and we didn't have a problem playing both as Nate or choosing other characters!

It's just a skin so who cares! I prefer to play as Nate 'cause I like to look at his sexy ass but I don't mind playing as Elena or any other characters!

I don't see why it would be different with TR.

The most important thing is that the multiplayer doesn't interfere with the main storyline/single player campaign!

I personally would like if it had some sort of co-op mode! And I would really love if there was an option for playing it offline!

Darkwoodsoftime
20th Jul 2012, 10:01
multiplayer nowdays is just on every Game , even if CD announce TR will get one i wouldn't be surprised . Like mass effect , adding multiplayer to the series didn't make a Bit difference ! but they just added becuz nowdays it a "MUST.HAVE" thingy in video games . same goes for Assassin's Creed and many other games.

im not against multiplayer in TR , i really do like to see that in the upcoming game with alot of character skins . like kane and lynch or kane and Raziel skins :D would be fun

LaraCroft1990
21st Jul 2012, 08:23
nooooo i think it will ruin the game please no multiplayer!

Andrashi
21st Jul 2012, 09:39
Multiplayer in new Tomb Raider?

Strictly cooperation-only, with both player avatars performing full damage responses to all kind of harms, and with very clever A.I. (which has capability of cooperation itself).

That way both players would have to cooperate, as making a mistake (and some mistake will almost certainly happen ^_^) could mean a death without teammates's help. Add some riddles solvable only by cooperation, use smart A.I. to create bottlenecks which cannot be run-gunned and some sort of cooperative obstacle traversal.

Serve it all in a from of either story-like two players co-op (Lara and Roth) or as some extra missions featuring Lara and other shipwreckers.

????

Profit!

Driber
11th Sep 2012, 07:05
Hmm, what's this....more multiplayer rumours? :)

Crystal Dynamics talks about Lara Croft's origin, and what makes this game unique among the Tomb Raider series.

When Crystal Dynamics first showed off the new Lara Croft in action at E3 2011, there were some questions as to whether this origin story would still deliver the type of adventurer that fans have grown to love through the many games and occasional films. The Croft shown early on was literally fresh off the boat, shipwrecked on an island and completely out of her element. But at E3 this year, the developer teased a glimpse of where Miss Croft is heading. A sequence, which occurs about half-way through the adventure, showed an agile and adept Croft using cover, explosive-tipped arrows and machine guns to take out an army of bad guys while on the run. At Gamescom 2012, Square Enix offered gamers a hands-on experience with the new Tomb Raider.

“Last year was all about survival and setting the tone of the character, now you’re going to really get to know her,” said Karl Stewart, global brand director for Crystal Dynamics on Tomb Raider. “You’re going to see how she takes a turn in her character to make her stronger. We all want to see Lara get some action/adventure and this is it.”

Tomb Raider

The game, which hasn’t been rated yet but is almost certain to garner a Mature rating, showed an intense near-rape sequence at E3 2012, where an assailant finds Croft in hiding and she has no choice but to kill him. This game’s dark and personal themes separate this Tomb Raider from some of the most recent adventures.

The new Lara Croft is intuitive to control and the real-time gameplay blends seamlessly with the Hollywood CGI cut scenes. The open world of the island is gorgeous and the gameplay is so cinematic, attendees waiting in line stood mesmerized watching others play the game.

“Our goal in the first hour of gameplay is to set you on a path where she’s becoming that action/adventure hero, that character you really want to understand a little more depth about,” said Stewart. “She goes through a pretty intense situation to get her to that point.”

The gameplay also features a more open environment of exploration and puzzles that are more woven into the fabric of the story. Once Croft finds her trusty bow, she becomes a sharpshooter with this silent weapon, allowing players to navigate the island from a stealth perspective.

“We get to see how she grows and gets her new bow, her first piece of equipment,” said Stewart. “We teach you about some of the base camps, gear gathering and how you’re going to be able to improve that over time, and reveal where she gets her skills.”

Croft is not alone on the island. In addition to the aforementioned “bad guys,” there are also fellow shipwrecked passengers. Whitman is one of the characters introduced in the hands-on demo. He’s an archeologist, and in some ways, a mentor to Croft.

Tomb Raider 2013“He gives himself up far too easily in this demo when Lara is captured,” said Stewart. “He’s a character that we play out quite a lot inside the game, because he’s a great segueway to be able to show you the growth of Lara. Alongside a character that has some real experience in exploring, so there’s a real dynamic relationship to it.”

While there have been plenty of colorful characters in previous Tomb Raider games, the sheer size of this game’s cast and the different personalities introduces a new story-driven element to the game. In the demo, one of Croft’s friends is kidnapped by the inhabitants on the island. Those types of situations add a more personal element to the missions that evolve in the game.

“In the past, Tomb Raiders have felt very staid and staged,” said Stewart. “Now, we give the player the opportunity to be able to truly explore and get to see a side of Lara which they’ve never seen before, which will bring them closer to her and have a little bit more emotion and relevance as they play.”

Having played through the demo, it’s obvious that this Tomb Raider is a very different experience from previous iterations. While there were hardcore gamers that loved the complexity of past games’ puzzles, many of the people who became familiar with Lara Croft primarily through the Angelina Jolie movies and other marketing, may not have actually enjoyed playing the games because of the difficulty level.

“When we started reimagining the franchise of Tomb Raider, we wanted to open the gameplay experience to a broader audience,” said Stewart. “For 15 years, it was all about puzzle solving, exploration, and combat. There was a very hard skew towards 80-percent puzzle solving. Now we’ve broken all those pillars down and rebuilt them back up in a way that is more akin to a mainstream audience. We still have our puzzles, but now it’s called smart, resourceful, Lara. It’s about teaching the player about survival instincts and understanding the world.”

Tomb Raider rebootExploring the island is a very intuitive experience. The game walks players through the bow by challenging them to shoot a deer in the woods before taking aim at actual enemies. And the controls are easy to pick up and play, although there’s depth in the gameplay as Croft acquires new skills and abilities along the way. Stewart promises that by the time Croft has all of her capabilities, controlling her through the open island world will be a fun experience.

“We’ve built an entire new combat system and brought in a whole new team to be able to reimagine it,” said Stewart. “Combat compliments the new exploration. In the past, Tomb Raider was a very linear experience. If you remember, she used to jump from ledge to ledge. Now we’ve given her dynamic movements and the ability to be able to come into a space and truly explore.”

Although gamers won’t be able to explore this world until March 5, 2013, Crystal Dynamics has allowed fans at Gamescom, GameStop EXPO, and PAX Prime to get a taste for the single player action. And sources have told me that the new Tomb Raider will also unleash multiplayer action, so that’s something else to look forward to.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/crystal-dynamics-shows-lara-croft-can-kick-major-ass-in-tomb-raider/

-Roli-
11th Sep 2012, 07:57
^It's okay as stay as rumour. xD
--------------------------
No. Just, no.

Tomb Raider was always a single player game, Tomb Raider MUST BE single player in the future too.

The GoL was OK, as it wasn't named as TR.

hiropon056
11th Sep 2012, 08:02
I don't care for multiplayer. I don't have internet on with my ps3 so if its that online stuff i couldnt play it anyway and in addition i would never share that game with anyone >:-D

Metalrocks
11th Sep 2012, 08:04
at least karl made it clear that they focus on the SP. which is good. so many games are too much focused on MP that the SP gets really ignored.

Shaikh
11th Sep 2012, 10:09
Apparently, Karl never said "there won't be any multiplayer in Tomb Raider". All he says is "Tomb Raider is focused on Single Player", "we are focusing on Single Player for Tomb Raider" etc. But I have a feeling there's a high possibility of Multiplayer in Tomb Raider. MP is the new trend of gaming. And sometimes its boost sales and reviews. As the 'Tomb Raider inspired' title 'Uncharted' has Multiplayer, Tomb Raider can have it. Beside we can't deny the fact of leaked Multiplayer icon on official site, as well as 'Multiplayer designer wanted' job application a few years back. ;)

Metalrocks
11th Sep 2012, 10:48
people who think every game must have MP are simply narrow minded idiots (sorry for saying it this way but its true). like MP is whole world in gaming. and if it doesnt have it, then its automatically bad. doesnt matter if its a 20+ campaign with lots to do.

ME 1+2 sold very well. the witcher 1+2, skyrim, bioshock, AC 1+2. they all sold millions if im not mistaken and non of them have MP.
still remember when a germany company brought out their very first game "shadow harvest", people talked bad about it bc it dint had any MP or co-op :rolleyes: .

so i hope that karl is true to his word and that we have a very solid campaign to play.

dont get me wrong. i dont mind MP but not every game must have it. just to boost sales is basically feeding the sheep, instead delivering a message that not every company out there wants MP and can make a fun SP game only.

pidipidi39
11th Sep 2012, 11:09
No. :hmm:

Cristiavano
12th Sep 2012, 23:42
I agree, I voted for co-op too.

Deathmatch in TR? That would be weird because I don't see how would they be able to do it.
Lara vs LAUnderworld Lara

Plot. Lara fromt the trilogy series finds a dais that transports her to laras location. This dais somebow tranfered lara into laras universe. Lara (being hit in the head in cores series forgot her memories from there hence mommy). Remembers von croy and so tries to find him only to see conrad roth replacing him in this alternate universe.

The daises work this way to travel between each universe.

Scion = core traveling
Trlegendanniversaryunderworld daises = traveli g
Laras magical green neclace = travlling

JsotoTRSeries
17th Sep 2012, 03:44
Multiplayer would Kill the TR series if added, so In my opinion This should never, ever happen. ''Some things are better not to be considered, somethings should never be added.''

dark7angel
17th Sep 2012, 08:44
^If you don't mind me asking, how would multiplayer kill TR?

d1n0_xD
17th Sep 2012, 09:37
^ Yeah, maybe it's unnecessary, but it wouldn't kill it... You don't have to play it XD But I guess if we haven't heard of it by now, it's not in the game, but there's still time.

pidipidi39
17th Sep 2012, 14:15
I think that it's too late now to announce something like Multiplayer...

TranceTrouble
17th Sep 2012, 18:55
its never to late to announce a MP even on the day before release, i'm not a fan of multiplayers of adventure games, unless you can work together to solve puzzles etc.
personally i thought UC3 was a great game but the MP didnt had something that caught me.

but that is my personal opinion ;)

dark7angel
17th Sep 2012, 20:41
its never to late to announce a MP even on the day before release, i'm not a fan of multiplayers of adventure games, unless you can work together to solve puzzles etc.
personally i thought UC3 was a great game but the MP didnt had something that caught me.

but that is my personal opinion ;)

What I like about UC3's multiplayer is the option to play co-op with my brother. :D

larafan25
17th Sep 2012, 21:10
What I like about mutliplayer is the freedom you seem to get in most cases.

I think there are length people, and difficult people (really difficult people) and freedom people, among many other preferences. Some people really want a long game, others want a hard game that challenges them, I need freedom.

So when we get multiplayer, I hope that we get some sort of simplistic mode that allows for freedom.

An example would be a deathmatch with little guidelines. Less guidelines surrounding the objective allows for more freedom of interpretation. Therefore the challenge of executing a kill in a map swarming with unpredictable players requires a bit of a strategy and for me to be wary.

Ricoquester
24th Sep 2012, 15:43
Tomb Raider works best a single player game and multiplayer would distract effort from making it the best single player game it could be.

Bronxz32
25th Sep 2012, 12:02
Tomb Raider works best a single player game and multiplayer would distract effort from making it the best single player game it could be.

Deus Ex eventually got multiplayer, and that didn't distract players from the amazing single player portion.

Driber
26th Sep 2012, 14:31
^ That's not what Ricoquester is saying. He's saying that by working on a MP mode, the TR dev team will put less attention/time/effort/whatnot into the SP mode.

I don't agree with that view, but that's what he's saying, AFAICS :cool:

Bronxz32
10th Oct 2012, 20:57
^ That's not what Ricoquester is saying. He's saying that by working on a MP mode, the TR dev team will put less attention/time/effort/whatnot into the SP mode.

I don't agree with that view, but that's what he's saying, AFAICS :cool:

I know what he was referring, that's why i used the word Eventually. Might not have been the best example, but MGS4 would be in that ballpark, MGO playing that didn't hurt MGS4 single player experience, it was just something extra to do. Both parts were great, fun online, and the single player aspect was nothing short of amazing.

MacGyver
30th Nov 2012, 11:24
hiho guys,

I am a Tomb Raider player since The last revelation and I played all newer Edition till now. The games was always very great, but one little thing I have missed all the time: a real multiplayer mode!

I know that a lot people aren´t happy about such an idea, but today are 40 € or more too much for an only single player game. Does someone know if there is any multiplayer in the new Tomb Raider? I really want to play this game, but on the other hand I see.....
... Skyrim for 40€ with a lot of community updates (skyrimnexus)
... HL 2 based games which are free or get a lot of community maps like css
... League of Legends, War Inc, and other f2p famous games
The core of this Thread is the question, if I play 20 hours and then i´am ready like in further Tomb Raider´s? or can the Community make more maps? Or is there something like PvP:thumb:, fight against other player to find secrets first?

I thing something like that could increase the play time a lot! and no, to play levels 10 times to find one leaving secret is not enought motivation for me:(

I hope some of you could answer my questions and I´am really sorry for bad english:whistle:

tillymander
30th Nov 2012, 11:52
Don't apologise, your english was great. Yes I'm not sure if I want multiplayer or not, apart of me does for getting my moneys worth but the other part knows that there has never been multiplayer. I don't see how it'd work. I personally think multiplayer for uncharted was awful. I only enjoyed assassins creed for multiplayer.

Metalrocks
30th Nov 2012, 12:05
not every game needs MP. deus ex HR doenst have any and it still sold a lot of copies, so as dishonored and many more games.
TR has always been a SP game to me and i cant really imagine it having a MP mode. but thats just me.
if its a SP driven game, then it should get more focus then the MP.

MacGyver
30th Nov 2012, 13:17
yes, there are games without multiplayer which are veryvery great... like gothic 1 and 2 or skyrim, but here are a lot of custom made mods, maps and the game time till the end is very large! Example: skyrim: 200 hours played:eek:, gothic first time: 50 hours played, Two Worlds: 70 hours, Drakensang: 100 hours

But for example in TRU I finished after 12 or 13 hours:mad2: and I think this is to less game for so much money or? all two years one day Tomb Raider? I want to play it every day, cause its so great:worship:! so I think community-made levels, multiplayer action or something like that could stretch the game time.

But I think i´ll buy the game with or without mp, its a too nice product to let it in the shop:D. And Lara gets a BOW:DD best weapon ever!

Metalrocks
30th Nov 2012, 14:03
yes, the games these days arent long but more then 10 hours is still a nice time to play. and now a lot of games have a story that cant be explained with 20+ hours. if you drag a story that long, it loses its interest and people start to get bored.
would you watch a 5 hour movie that needs to explain a story?? not really i guess. you would get bored and yell out at some stage they should get to the point. i know, movies and games arent the same but you understand what im trying to say here.

MP is always something different. i dont count these hours to make the game feel longer. like BF3 or the cod games. the SP is really short (and pretty crappy as well) but the MP is a hell lot of fun that you keep playing it for many many days. but these games are real MP games wile the SP is just thrown in for people who maybe dont want to shoot other players.
co-op is fun as well but this TR doesnt look like you have a partner with you all the time.

Grund
30th Nov 2012, 14:11
In my opinion Tomb Raider could use an online mode like:
- Coop
- Creating quests/missions/weapons for the community

Coop could be like small quests that we could bring some puzzles toguether

But I am against DM or TDM, would simply be like Uncharted and uncharted 5v5 is lame and sometimes annoying

Metalrocks
30th Nov 2012, 14:18
In my opinion Tomb Raider could use an online mode like:
- Creating quests/missions/weapons for the community

Coop could be like small quests that we could bring some puzzles toguether

this sounds more like a level editor. which certainly could work. people create their own maps and there for can make MP maps. this way, it will not interfere with the SP.

larafan25
30th Nov 2012, 16:35
Multiplayer please.

Competative multiplayer.

Or go open world. D:L

a_big_house
30th Nov 2012, 22:00
No Multiplayer AT ALL, TR9 needs to build a heavy foundation with the Single player campaign and having MP will just make CD rush over things ruining the main game. In maybe a thousand years in the future MP MIGHT be appropriate in the game, but right now, it isn't.

Weemanply109
30th Nov 2012, 22:03
Multiplayer would be interesting if it's intentionally though out and not used as an excuse to get more money.

-Roli-
30th Nov 2012, 22:05
No Multiplayer AT ALL, TR9 needs to build a heavy foundation with the Single player campaign and having MP will just make CD rush over things ruining the main game. In maybe a thousand years in the future MP MIGHT be appropriate in the game, but right now, it isn't.

100x this!

larafan25
30th Nov 2012, 22:06
If CD said "the next game is open world" I'd rather see them do that, and really find what this new TR is, than have a multiplayer mode.

Otherwise I don't see the fuss.

I'd take one mode, even just a simple deathmatch. People think that would be a cop-out somehow, I think that would be a de-freaking-light yall.

edit: Though with all the fans finding multiplayer so offensive, I often wonder if this game is currently their perfect tomb raider game, as they don't seem to be focusing any constructive attention on other aspects.

In the end, you spent too much time worry about multiplayer you'll forget about the things that you truly find important, and they'll fly over ur head.

Driber
30th Nov 2012, 22:14
Ugh, no OW TR game. THAT doesn't suit it.

Multiplayer *might* work. OW not. Don't see how it could. Sorry.

...having MP will just make CD rush over things ruining the main game.

This is just an assumption, though. And a HUGE one at that :whistle:

dark7angel
30th Nov 2012, 22:26
^I agree with you, Driber!

I think multiplayer can work but don't really see it with Open World...

By the way, in the end of the latest Final Hours episode Zach said that in the next one we'll have an exclusive announcement of something that will change the way we play TR (or something like that) and my mind immediately jumped to MULTIPLAYER announcement!!!! What do you guys think? What else could he be talking about?

a_big_house
30th Nov 2012, 22:27
^ Spoilers is what I think :D

Rai
30th Nov 2012, 22:30
^^I dunno. I hope it isn't MP, but I can't think of anything else. If FH#4 is two months a way as the others have been two months apart, doesn't it make it quite late to announce multiplayer?

Anyhoo, to answer the pole, I said no to MP. If it doesn't interfere with the single player experience in any way, then it won;t stop me enjoying the single player game, but I won't have anything to do with the MP. I feel TR having MP would just be, well, because it's jumping on the MP bandwagon for the sake of it.

Driber
30th Nov 2012, 22:41
If you don't mind me saying so, I think that everyone who always says "jumping the MP bandwagon" are jumping the bandwagon, themselves :p

larafan25
30th Nov 2012, 22:45
My God.

My golly golly goodness.

Marry tomb raider, Oprah and God.

My satisfaction level is increasing daily. I wonder what this announcement could be.

Ugh, no OW TR game. THAT doesn't suit it.

Multiplayer *might* work. OW not. Don't see how it could. Sorry.

This is just an assumption, though. And a HUGE one at that :whistle:

Hubs.

One giant hub.

You can add mountains, break it up into multiple regions.

We technically have what the game would have if it were open world, just not the large openness or the freedom. And given that many fans are ready to do without linearity and QTE, story-strict moments, open world would be a fine environment to grow a sequel in.

edit: Though TBH, open world suits tomb raider more than multiplayer, speaking "factually" or with definitions, TR is more about being isolation (and many other things of course) whereas open world, being a journey across a vast, open and explorable place fits right in line with tomb raider.

Rai
30th Nov 2012, 22:49
If you don't mind me saying so, I think that everyone who always says "jumping the MP bandwagon" are jumping the bandwagon, themselves :p

Well, I just don't think it's necessary for Tomb Raider, that's all :p. Multiplayer to me just means mindless gun fights or something called 'catch the flag'. Boooring. I just prefer good old single player, you know, with Lara.

a_big_house
30th Nov 2012, 22:51
Well, I just don't think it's necessary for Tomb Raider, that's all :p. Multiplayer to me just means mindless gun fights or something called 'catch the flag'. Boooring. I just prefer good old single player, you know, with Lara.

YES! x99999999 :lol:

larafan25
30th Nov 2012, 23:06
Multiplayer, as we all know by now can simply mean mindless TR.

TR isn't that special, it's combat, platforming, exploration and puzzle solving.

Multiplayer isn't exempt.

Of course there are people who don't want to go online though, or play with others/ against others.

a_big_house
30th Nov 2012, 23:10
...TR isn't that special...

Are you sure you're on the correct forum?
Tomb Raider is exactly what you just said it was. Multiplayer didn't make it popular in 1996. It wont make it popular in 2013, the Single player, recreation of an entire generation's much loved character will.

larafan25
30th Nov 2012, 23:13
Are you sure you're on the correct forum?
Tomb Raider is exactly what you just said it was. Multiplayer didn't make it popular in 1996. It wont make it popular in 2013, the Single player, recreation of an entire generation's much loved character will.

The fans are still raving about Legend, TBH.

Of course TR is special, but people can't seem to wrap their heads around the logical equation that is TR's core pillars, found in almost every other game.

TR can function as a multiplayer game.

It might take some thinking to make the matches decent and unique (if that really matters), but that's always going to be a challenge with or without multiplayer.

a_big_house
30th Nov 2012, 23:32
The fans are still raving about Legend, TBH.
Which fans? I haven't read single complaint about Legend in years. At least not from real fans

Of course TR is special, but people can't seem to wrap their heads around the logical equation that is TR's core pillars, found in almost every other game.
Your point? Every game shares these 'core pillars' but I don't see release after release of the same game. Every game is different when it comes down to the fine points and all of that is then down to the developers. (If the devs are un-inspired, the game with be un-inspirational. CD have proven to me that they have seriously spent the time to make something we will remember.

TR can function as a multiplayer game.

It might take some thinking to make the matches decent and unique (if that really matters), but that's always going to be a challenge with or without multiplayer.
But what if the Multiplayer isn't unique? The TR MP is then called a cheap rip-off. And then what? Each TR game having the same kind of MP but with different maps? Smells like COD to me.

Honestly, I'm not trying to pick a fight but it really looks like to me, that you just want to get online with other TR players and kill them in death-matches :lol:

larafan25
30th Nov 2012, 23:36
Which fans? I haven't read single complaint about Legend in years. At least not from real fans

I've seen entire wars waged about Legend Lara. I don't even know. Someone can totes back me on this tho.

But what if the Multiplayer isn't unique? The TR MP is then called a cheap rip-off. And then what? Each TR game having the same kind of MP but with different maps? Smells like COD to me.

What if this game just turns out to be a cheap Uncharted rip-off? With some elements from other popular games that have also adopted more open environments?

It doesn't feel like anyone is trying hard to be unique (CD with this game) , IMO at the end of the day there are more important things than being unique.

Honestly, I'm not trying to pick a fight but it really looks like to me, that you just want to get online with other TR players and kill them in death-matches :lol:

That's eggsactly what I want to do.

I like TR combat, give me real intelligence over AI, and you've got good stuff. That's what a TR deathmatch would be.

a_big_house
30th Nov 2012, 23:47
Wow... I'm not even going to bother replying to any of that...

hiropon056
30th Nov 2012, 23:50
When they really will announce MP in the next FH I just hope that it doesn't effect SP in any way and that the main part of the game is SP and MP more like a side-kick... If you know what I mean. Idk how to explain it in a better way

Rai
1st Dec 2012, 00:18
When they really will announce MP in the next FH I just hope that it doesn't effect SP in any way and that the main part of the game is SP and MP more like a side-kick... If you know what I mean. Idk how to explain it in a better way

As CD have said that they're focusing entirely on TR's single player (at the time of saying that, I guess), then I'm confident the Single Player will be pretty special and won't be affected by any MP; it'll stay separate (if there is MP, I'm still hoping there isn't).

I can't think of anything worse than a TR death match.

Weemanply109
1st Dec 2012, 00:38

Really? :lol: What is your idea of a "real fan"? A sheep who abides by everything CD does to the franchise? You're obviously not going to hear anything about Legend here on this secluded and isolated forum. There are many other forums that are more prominent in the TR universe, btw. :whistle: I've seen many disappointed fans.

[NOTE: I am entitled to free damn speech, a mod better not remove me mentioning another forum again, it's ridiculous!]

Wow... I'm not even going to bother replying to any of that...

He had good points, though. You can stay arrogant. There is nothing unique about what CD are doing with their game, the game is already branded as a cheap rip off, adding any form of multiplayer really doesn't matter at this point + COD did not invent multiplayer.

affinity
1st Dec 2012, 02:26
if all players have option to be Lara Croft, that's fine. I hated how Uncharted games multiplayer restricted characters based on team, though the only good thing about it was people can use the same character (but still too restricting). but I think they have a chance to make something more cooperative out of multiplayer instead of competitive. like 8 Laras treasure hunting, animal fighting, trap avoiding, enviornment platforming, and solving puzzles in massive tombs together. :)

larafan25
1st Dec 2012, 02:44
I'd love a cooperative survival mode where you can survive as a team against hordes of hunting scavengers.

Though I think for competitive team-based modes they'd have to restrict survivors from scavengers/ villains just so players can better distinguish.

edit: A mode inspired by the hunger games as people always seem to mention, that would be decent. Starting with no weapons and having to race to find weapons hidden in the map to defend yourself while going for a broader objective.

Sort of like Machinima in UC2, most racve for the strongest weapons and escape with them.

affinity
1st Dec 2012, 02:58
waaaa. everyone would rage quit if they go on the scavengers side. (unless there are cool looking playable female scavengers).

larafan25
1st Dec 2012, 03:08
waaaa. everyone would rage quit if they go on the scavengers side. (unless there are cool looking playable female scavengers).

The truth has been spoken! lmao.

Well if the leader of the island turns out to be a girl, or if one of the survivors turns on the rest (and is female (though that wouldn't go well for her)) then we'd have some female villain skins.

I wouldn't mind being a bad guy though.

I like variety.

As long as multiple people can be Lara, because that would be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

I would definitely play as Sam though, or Reyes, or nerd Nate (I forget his name).

I also thought there could be a mode where someone is randomly chosen to be the "sacrifice" of the survivors team, and the survivors must protect that player at all costs from the scavengers, the scavengers team trying to get that specific player, and maybe even trying to find out which player it is (or not, I dunno, I guess they'd know who their chosen sacrifice is). Sort of like a mode in Assassin's Creed, I think.

Also, a competitive mode where your team has to collect the most food caches and equipment to aid your surviving. Survivors vs. scavengers, the food caches might be lying by those red explosive barrels, or the killer bushes, making them more dangerous to retrieve and another player may shoot the explosive barrels. Bear traps would make a nice mechanic.

I find it hard to think of multiplayer modes that wouldn't involve combat simply because whatever I dream up is normally not something I myself would fancy multiple replays of. That's why I find combat-based matches to be the best choice for multiplayer. It's not like combat isn't a facet of Tomb Raider, *ahem* TR2.

for the "Scavenge" mode, a map mimicking the scavenger stronghold with lots of ziplines would be fun. Zipping into dangerous enemy territory (the other team's end of the map) to steal back supplies. By the end of the match whoever has the most supplies will survive (win).

A tag mode might be cool too, could call it "Recruit" as in scavengers recruiting survivors by tagging them somehow.

I would find it super decent if there was a forest map for one of the competitive modes (deathmatch for instance) and the ground was laden with bear traps, if caught you were stuck and had to pry yourself out by tapping a button, being vulnerable to other survivors/ scavengers.

The subject matter of this specific game lends itself well to multiplayer, it's all very hunger games. I want.

Would be amazing if the AI was well and good in multiplayer to allow for stealth in a mode such as survival, surviving the waves of scavengers, but having to do so stealthily, or at least having the option of being stealthy.

TranceTrouble
1st Dec 2012, 09:10
I'd love a cooperative survival mode where you can survive as a team against hordes of hunting scavengers.

Though I think for competitive team-based modes they'd have to restrict survivors from scavengers/ villains just so players can better distinguish.

edit: A mode inspired by the hunger games as people always seem to mention, that would be decent. Starting with no weapons and having to race to find weapons hidden in the map to defend yourself while going for a broader objective.

Sort of like Machinima in UC2, most racve for the strongest weapons and escape with them.
hmm that sounds exactly like the new battlefield3 gameplay, hunting for weapons and ammo in a team and with the best weapons you control the objectives.

still dont see it work would rather see a long and good SP

Metalrocks
1st Dec 2012, 09:36
ok, dint bother to read every single post here but regarding MP, i had a just a quick thought.

you play as a scavenger and together with others, you have to hunt for food at the beginning (sort of as a tutorial). once you found out that a ship has wrecked (the one with lara on) you have to set traps with your friends to catch them or in any way possible like frontal attack, being a victim or by using stealth.
you get more rewards if you bring them back alive and even more XP if they are unharmed. and whoever catches lara, wins the game or gets extra points.

this i think would a fun little MP to waste some time with friends. the MP could be called "the hunt for lara".

Sam_kain
1st Dec 2012, 11:01
Why isn't there an All of the Above Choice ?!, I am not that much into MP, but it isn't a really bad thing as long as it doesn't affect the SP.

If by any chances they would do a MP, I would want a very unique mode first, then I would want some hectic fun like Deathmatch, and since one of my friends is also getting TR then Co-Op would be cool as well, and last but Skirmish style, the more the merrier I think.

Again this all assuming it doesn't affect the SP, but with a 15hrs SP, I don't find a problem with some MP.

dark7angel
1st Dec 2012, 13:57
The only thing I ask of the MP is that it has the option of local (off-line) co-op like UC3 and GoL because I don't usually play online but I love playing co-op with my brother (one of the reasons I love Resi 5 so much!) and we're both TR fans so it would be great to be able to play with him!

d1n0_xD
1st Dec 2012, 14:03
Imagine 2 Laras marching together through the campaign... Halo 4 had 2 Master Chiefs xD

JaxGames
1st Dec 2012, 14:42
Yes , if it was like the Uncharted 2 Multiplayer. I would love it if lets say for on the "Survival Team" (Good) You Could Have Multiple Lara's , Roth's running about and the same with the opposing side but different skins .Also if Tomb Raider gets multiplayer please! please! CD Make sure you have balanced weapons. I Don't mind Multiplayer as having the Multiplayer feature doesn't effect the story experience.

Grund
1st Dec 2012, 16:41
Coop would be nice... but in a way would ruin the new players... for exemple I pass the game I am going for sure know all secrets and locations and I would spoil some plays online.

a_big_house
1st Dec 2012, 17:02
...You're obviously not going to hear anything about Legend here on this secluded and isolated forum. There are many other forums that are more prominent in the TR universe, btw. :whistle: I've seen many disappointed fans...
No, I wont. Do you want to know why. It's because the internet is full of idiotic ***** who get off of the rush of being a keyboard warrior. MOST people on this forum are nice.

...You can stay arrogant...
Point proven.

...COD did not invent multiplayer.
I never said that. However, COD is well known for it's MP, I for one never heard anyone saying 'Oh yeah, did you get past that amazing part of the SP campaign?' it's always 'HA! I PWNED YOU! TROLOLOL'
Which isn't Tomb Raider, nor fun.

Driber
1st Dec 2012, 17:46
Step back from the personal comments and get back to constructive discussions, folks. We've got a good thread going here with a varied range of opinions, which is what makes a discussion interesting, but remember that we ALL need to respect views of others that may be completely opposite to our own.

Terms such as "arrogant" or "real fans" are destructive to good discussions.

just*raidin*tomb
1st Dec 2012, 19:16
Yes, I want multiplayer so I can play and have fun with my TR friendss for months after I complete the campaign. <3

larafan25
1st Dec 2012, 21:10
Wat if we let's played the same match but from two different player's perspectives.

Mind cluck.

just*raidin*tomb
1st Dec 2012, 22:21
Wat if we let's played the same match but from two different player's perspectives.

Mind cluck.
That would oozum. But I haven't made any videos in months. I haven't had time. :(

Peep Show
1st Dec 2012, 22:31

Mind cluck.

I hope there's a cinema mode which records your matches like in UC3.

a_big_house
1st Dec 2012, 22:39
Step back from the personal comments and get back to constructive discussions, folks. We've got a good thread going here with a varied range of opinions, which is what makes a discussion interesting, but remember that we ALL need to respect views of others that may be completely opposite to our own.

Terms such as "arrogant" or "real fans" are destructive to good discussions.

Sorry D! :)

LaraDuh
1st Dec 2012, 22:43
I just want co-op:wave:

larafan25
2nd Dec 2012, 01:10
I just want co-op:wave:

UMG LaraDuh

You don't want me to take you down.

That would oozum. But I haven't made any videos in months. I haven't had time. :(

OMG. Time. It hurts ot hear about people having no time, because I have so much! D:

I hope there's a cinema mode which records your matches like in UC3.

I need a screenshot mode.

LaraDuh
2nd Dec 2012, 03:31
UMG LaraDuh

You don't want me to take you down.

Guirel hop off, i only speak truths in here. Co-Op would be godly in every sense of the word :worship:

Driber
2nd Dec 2012, 19:47

Mind cluck.

Oooeee, I like this idea!

IGrowAcorns
10th Dec 2012, 21:42
If there is no multiplayer I will not buy this game. If it was a fully open world game, than I probably would. But it's not. I'm sure you can beat the game in 10-20 hours. So If there isn't multiplayer I will just rent it. I'm the kind of gamer who beats a game and never replays it. I find it really boring to keep playing the same exact thing over, and over again. I'm hoping there is at least a team death match mode. With random characters you can customize. The multiplayer maps could be based off the hubs in the game.

I don't understand why people wouldn't want multiplayer or co-op in a game. The only reason I can see is you don't want it to take away from the story. Which I 100% agree with. But most the time It won't do that. If you feel like Tomb Raider is mean't to be played alone, don't play co-op. If you don't think there should be multiplayer, don't play it. Simple as that. But I think a multiplayer mode in this game could be amazing. I like 3rd person games 100 times better than 1st. And 3rd person multiplayer games are really lacking. The only one I really love is Gears of War. But I'm hoping this game can be special.

larafan25
10th Dec 2012, 21:46
I tend to not replay games either, well I replayed the crap out of Legend and Anniversary, but I now find that I don't replay a game if it's going to be the same stuff each time.

A massive open world game has plenty to keep me coming back, if not, a game like Uncharted has me coming back for multiplayer.

IGrowAcorns
10th Dec 2012, 22:14
I tend to not replay games either, well I replayed the crap out of Legend and Anniversary, but I now find that I don't replay a game if it's going to be the same stuff each time.

A massive open world game has plenty to keep me coming back, if not, a game like Uncharted has me coming back for multiplayer.

This. The Uncharted series is my favorite single player games of all times. Yet I've only played each of them one time. If TR was open world I would have no problem dropping $60 on without multiplayer. But since it's not, I need multiplayer to spend money on it. Otherwise it's a rent for me.

Metalrocks
11th Dec 2012, 06:40
it will be 10+ hours to play the entire game. but you guys will have bad luck. its SP only. not every game needs MP to keep the game interesting or to replay it all the time. deus ex HR doesnt have any MP and it sold millions and i personally played it over 5 times. ME 1 and 2 dont have MP either and it sold very well and had plenty of replay value.
the same with dishonored assassins creed 1+2 and other games. if the SP alone is fun, then you want to play it many times.

i dont know what age group you guys are, but its mainly the younger generation (18 and under) who always wants MP or think every game must have MP for a game to be fun.
yes, you can make an interesting MP game that has no interference with the main game like AC brotherhood but with certain games, a MP just doesnt fit in at all.
we and many are glad that CD is focusing on the SP only, that we will have a really good and grabbing story and a very good gameplay mechanic in the end. thats, what many companies these days, tend to ignore.

DamianGraham
11th Dec 2012, 07:19
I don't like multiplayer being tacked on for the sake of appealing to the casual videogamer that can't handle SP modes in a game. If it functions within the new TR universe then sure, but if it's just there as a gimmick, I don't want anything to do with it. Lara has always done well on her own, maybe one day she'll get a partner and that could open up the gateway to MP, but for now? No, just.. no.

d1n0_xD
11th Dec 2012, 13:04
Metalrocks speaks words of wisdom! *high-five* I can come up with one reason straight away why I'm going to play TR many times... Skill trees.

Metalrocks
11th Dec 2012, 14:01
Metalrocks speaks words of wisdom! *high-five* I can come up with one reason straight away why I'm going to play TR many times... Skill trees.

lol, never really thought of that. im more for enjoyment in a game. if it playes good and is interesting, i have fun :D

Jurre
11th Dec 2012, 14:17
I see possibilities for a capture the flag (that would become capture the relic or the treasure) but other than that I think multiplayer would be too combat-oriented.

Driber
11th Dec 2012, 14:27
I see possibilities for a capture the flag (that would become capture the relic or the treasure) but other than that I think multiplayer would be too combat-oriented.

There could also be coop puzzle solving. Like how Lara and that Indian-dude-whos-name-eludes-me worked together in GoL.

dark7angel
11th Dec 2012, 14:44
There could also be coop puzzle solving. Like how Lara and that Indian-dude-whos-name-eludes-me worked together in GoL.

Totec, I think! :p

Driber
11th Dec 2012, 14:50
That's it! Thanks :D

larafan25
11th Dec 2012, 15:34
It would be nice if we could have modes that weren't combat-oriented (and some that are), and lent themselves more to problem solving, but it's hard to think up new gametypes without just creating a map with puzzles that will be the same each playthrough.

d1n0_xD
11th Dec 2012, 16:24

I've had that idea a while back and I would actually like that, it represents TR, but yeah, just a possibility...

IGrowAcorns
12th Dec 2012, 06:20
it will be 10+ hours to play the entire game. but you guys will have bad luck. its SP only. not every game needs MP to keep the game interesting or to replay it all the time. deus ex HR doesnt have any MP and it sold millions and i personally played it over 5 times. ME 1 and 2 dont have MP either and it sold very well and had plenty of replay value.
the same with dishonored assassins creed 1+2 and other games. if the SP alone is fun, then you want to play it many times.

i dont know what age group you guys are, but its mainly the younger generation (18 and under) who always wants MP or think every game must have MP for a game to be fun.
yes, you can make an interesting MP game that has no interference with the main game like AC brotherhood but with certain games, a MP just doesnt fit in at all.
we and many are glad that CD is focusing on the SP only, that we will have a really good and grabbing story and a very good gameplay mechanic in the end. thats, what many companies these days, tend to ignore.

Most those games you named are open world. I stated I wouldn't mind buying it if it were open world. But it's not. It's linear. Meaning after you beat the game all you can do is replay the same thing over again. Not a lot of exploration. I know about hubs, but they're not going to be big enough to warrant a buy for me. I'm 22 by the way, and have been playing video games since Super Nintendo.

Metalrocks
12th Dec 2012, 06:51
Most those games you named are open world. I stated I wouldn't mind buying it if it were open world. But it's not. It's linear. Meaning after you beat the game all you can do is replay the same thing over again. Not a lot of exploration. I know about hubs, but they're not going to be big enough to warrant a buy for me. I'm 22 by the way, and have been playing video games since Super Nintendo.

little correction.
the main missions (and im quoting from the developers) are linear but we still have areas to explore. basically like in deus ex HR. you can do the main story when ever you feel like.

remember the hunting demo when you hunt the deer? that was a big area you could explore. you werent forced to get the bow first or hunt for the deer. you could just wonder around the forest and admire the surroundings.

karl said that we can go back to places and reach areas you coulndt access before, due a skill you dint had earlier. ;)

d1n0_xD
12th Dec 2012, 12:34
And those hubs are a different experience every time you visit them... ;)

Metalrocks
13th Dec 2012, 06:40
here the IGN video regarding exploration.
iecT9D8vTv8

parazombie
15th Dec 2012, 13:50
http://i.imgur.com/LtitC.png (http://static.tumblr.com/nfpdqyl/yijmeu3y4/tr_xbox_360.jpg)
click for full image | for more proof, jump over to http://tombraider.tumblr.com/ and have a look at the header! ^_^

I've not got much experience with this phrase BUUUUUT... you all know where I'm going with this.

Does this confirm multiplayer? Could it be referring to scoreboards the game might have? Possibly the DLC?

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK?! :D
----

Also, I did some research! I was just scanning between games that have [B]DLC & no multiplayer and games with multiplayer and it seems only games with mutiplayer have that written on them! I even went on to check games with leaderboards and they did not have it either! Definitely backs up the multiplayer theory!

d1n0_xD
15th Dec 2012, 13:57
Hmm, this changes things...

JapaneseIsland
15th Dec 2012, 14:01
Meheheheheheheheheheheehehe.
I really hope we get survivor vs survivor stuffs.

a_big_house
15th Dec 2012, 14:14
Goddamn it! :mad2:

There better not be multiplayer achievements!

Shaikh
15th Dec 2012, 14:19
Multiplayer confirmed.

Announcement next week.

blackseed32
15th Dec 2012, 14:31
Can't believe this. I just hope it will not feature multiplayer

hiropon056
15th Dec 2012, 14:35
LOL epic fail ^^

altough I hate all that multyplayer stuff but I guess... now we know it

a_big_house
15th Dec 2012, 14:41
To everyone complaining about Lara's hair, this is what CD have been doing instead of 'fixing' it...

blackseed32
15th Dec 2012, 14:48
To everyone complaining about Lara's hair, this is what CD have been doing instead of 'fixing' it...

Are you sure you are posting in the right thread?

Darkwoodsoftime
15th Dec 2012, 14:58
well it's not confirmed yet but it wouldn't really surprise me if they do .... nowdays every game must have multiplayer .... otherwise some dumb newbie players wont buy the game :p
I really don't know how Multiplayer would work in Tomb Raider

a_big_house
15th Dec 2012, 14:59
^^ Yes, because those who have been complaining will eventually look at this thread, sure it would be a better idea to post it in a hair thread but I CBA :D

Sam_kain
15th Dec 2012, 15:10

Truth be told, if they don't fix her hair it won't affect those who are buying the game that much.

but if they include MP, they increase the amount of potential buyers.

There better not be multiplayer achievements!

Agree on that, learn from Naughty Dog in this aspect, you want to put MP ?!, don't factor MP Trophies into the Platinum Trophy, those I am actually afraid the Platinum for TR maybe boring as hell, since there are tons of collectibles, and I hate collectibles.

Sam_kain
15th Dec 2012, 15:11
I think it is pretty interesting to have MP, I really hope that there are at least a couple of very special-unique modes to enjoy beside the regular ones.

larafan25
15th Dec 2012, 15:31
EHEHEHE

WAARPOO

I just can't.
AH

AHHAHAH

This multiplayer gonna be raw and beast.

Like...the combat system is so frantic, can you imagine?

It might be really easy to escape enemy fire with Lara's moves.

IDEK. I'll just shut up and wait.

ohmagawd. lawd. ma gaw.

d1n0_xD
15th Dec 2012, 15:35
I never understood the concept of achievements/trophies, I mean, people sometimes don't want to buy a game if there are no achievements, what's the big deal?

Metalrocks
15th Dec 2012, 15:36
seriously??? why? why in the world would they add MP to a SP game? just because some kiddis dont like games without MP?
i was looking forward to a beautiful SP game where things are only focused on the story, etc and now this.
i really hope thats a joke and it means its for DLC purpose.

parazombie
15th Dec 2012, 15:37
Why was my thread moved to the Hitman section? D: I was talking about Tomb Raider. D:

a_big_house
15th Dec 2012, 15:39
^ It was a small mistake and has been fixed

larafan25
15th Dec 2012, 15:39
seriously??? why? why in the world would they add MP to a SP game? just because some kiddis dont like games without MP?
i was looking forward to a beautiful SP game where things are only focused on the story, etc and now this.

The game can still be that.

I mean, any feelings you've had towards the game from this moment on are only valid.

Also, apparently DLC doesn't really count as online interactions, because you're not interacting with anything more than you would be if there were no DLC.

If I were them, the reason I'd add MP is because people enjoy it, and it could be fun.

-Roli-
15th Dec 2012, 15:40
Can't believe this. I just hope it will not feature multiplayer

Same! :(
I hope it's DLC related rating, or I don't know... but please, just NO multiplayer...

larafan25
15th Dec 2012, 15:43
Why is everyone so against multiplayer? :scratch:

Shaikh
15th Dec 2012, 15:46
It would be best as some co-op though, or something like the Contracts mode from Hitman: Absolution. :)

larafan25
15th Dec 2012, 15:51
I'd like a competitive mode, just because I prefer something to compete against.

Whether it's cooperative against AI, or just competitive against other players.

I'd love a scavenger survival mode.

Me and ma frans, surviving against scavengers.

If there is MP and we have to choose a survivor skin, I hope multiple people can be Lara, or yall be ragin.

Sam. <3

Reyes. <3

Driber
15th Dec 2012, 15:54
Why is everyone so against multiplayer? :scratch:

There is a lot of fear among fans that MP will "take away from SP".

It's completely unsubstantial, IMO, but that's the reason I hear on these forums most of the time.

larafan25
15th Dec 2012, 15:55
There is a lot of fear among fans that MP will "take away from SP".

It's completely unsubstantial, IMO, but that's the reason I hear on these forums most of the time.

Oh, I see.

Well. Perhaps this game might be the game to persuade people otherwise. :whistle:

Coralie
15th Dec 2012, 15:58
I don't know if MP is a bad or a good thing for TR, but I don't think it will change something for the solo game. I may be wrong but for me it's just a plus, so if you don't like it and if MP is confirmed, just don't play MP and enjoy your solo adventure. :)

Driber
15th Dec 2012, 16:01
Oh, I see.

Well. Perhaps this game might be the game to persuade people otherwise. :whistle:

Heh, that's what I'm banking on, if we get MP announcement :)

Sam_kain
15th Dec 2012, 16:05
I never understood the concept of achievements/trophies, I mean, people sometimes don't want to buy a game if there are no achievements, what's the big deal?

technically it is a boasting thing, like Belts in karate or medals in sports, it shows how far you are from someone, how good you are at games, you can know someone through his/her trophies, for example me you will see I got some Stealth Platinums and some Hack n Slash games Platinum, indicating what I like the most, though this may not be accurate :D, cause I like horror and I have no platinum trophies there haha

you can always use trophies as a competing thing between friends, people play games for different reasons.

You are being narrow minded, it's not all about kids, and even if it was, since they are potential buyers they matter, MP is something desired by millions of people, that means alot of money to Eidos, they can't just neglect that.

I am happy cause SP is around 15hrs long which pretty long and good, if it was around 8hrs I would be mad and cursing MP, but since SP is long I find no problem to include MP which will add more to the game IMO.

-Roli-
15th Dec 2012, 16:13
My main problem is the multiplayer:

The Tomb Raider was always a single player game for me, and I hope it will stand still always as a single player. :) I just can't imagine a multiplayer game as a TR title.

The "Lara Croft" title is totally other thing with the isometric cameras, which I love. :) So I can't comparate the two games.

In other hand I could understand the decision, if they would go with a multiplayer feature: these days it's became popular, and extend the game's lifetime. :)

larafan25
15th Dec 2012, 16:15
Well...there are a lot of things TR had never been.

TR had never had a lot of things up until AOD, and as sore as that game turned out, people still hold it dear in their hearts. :worship:

parazombie
15th Dec 2012, 17:01
Guys! Seems someone [Meagan, HAHAH ;D] took to Photoshop and edited out the little "Online Interactions" comment. :p

Take a look! (http://static.tumblr.com/nfpdqyl/duVmf303q/tr_xbox_360.jpg)

http://i.imgur.com/Bbfi1.png

pidipidi39
15th Dec 2012, 17:17
:lol:

Shaikh
15th Dec 2012, 17:32
I'd like a competitive mode, just because I prefer something to compete against.

If there is MP and we have to choose a survivor skin, I hope multiple people can be Lara, or yall be ragin.

Sam. <3

Reyes. <3

I doubt if Lara can be picked as a Multiplayer character! Is there any multiplayer game in which you can play with the protagonist? :scratch:

Heh, that's what I'm banking on, if we get MP announcement :)

Not if, but when. ;)

pidipidi39
15th Dec 2012, 17:38
I doubt if Lara can be picked as a Multiplayer character! Is there any multiplayer game in which you can play with the protagonist? :scratch:
Well, if in multiplayer there wouldn't be Lara that would sucks :(

Shaikh
15th Dec 2012, 17:39
Well, if in multiplayer there wouldn't be Lara that would sucks :(
Lara killing Lara, I can't even imagine. :lol:

Driber
15th Dec 2012, 18:11
Not if, but when. ;)

Cute :cool:

JapaneseIsland
15th Dec 2012, 18:19
EHEHEHE

WAARPOO

I just can't.
AH

AHHAHAH

This multiplayer gonna be raw and beast.

Like...the combat system is so frantic, can you imagine?

It might be really easy to escape enemy fire with Lara's moves.

IDEK. I'll just shut up and wait.

ohmagawd. lawd. ma gaw.
You could be in a sort of survival mode, where you must survive as long as you can while collecting salvage and upgrading perhaps or something, oh the possibilities.

IGrowAcorns
15th Dec 2012, 18:28
Everyone complaining that they don't want multiplayer are a bunch of baby's. Sorry your beloved franchise is making changes for the better, and going to bring in new fans now. Seriously get over it. If you don't like it, don't play multiplayer. Or better yet, don't buy the game!

JapaneseIsland
15th Dec 2012, 18:33
Everyone complaining that they don't want multiplayer are a bunch of baby's. Sorry your beloved franchise is making changes for the better, and going to bring in new fans now. Seriously get over it. If you don't like it, don't play multiplayer. Or better yet, don't buy the game!
Exactly.
It's not forcing you to play MP and it's really great in a TR game anyway I'd say. This rocks.

larafan25
15th Dec 2012, 18:48
You could be in a sort of survival mode, where you must survive as long as you can while collecting salvage and upgrading perhaps or something, oh the possibilities.

That just gave me the idea of some sort of timed survival in which you lose points as time progresses and you have to collect something while surviving combat in order to increase those points.

So many possibilities! :D

JapaneseIsland
15th Dec 2012, 18:55
That just gave me the idea of some sort of timed survival in which you lose points as time progresses and you have to collect something while surviving combat in order to increase those points.

I'd love it if there was a massive hub where you had to defend yourself against traps, inhabitants, and other plays where you must try to be the last survivor, or last remaining survivors, and then you win and enter another hub with other players or something. And you can use the camps. :DDD

JapaneseIsland
15th Dec 2012, 19:11

Sam. <3

Reyes. <3

I'd love to be able to choose different types of Lara models, like various tank top colors, or skins like hunter skin, aviatrix, etc.

Double post, soz.

Sam_kain
15th Dec 2012, 19:11

This is me, but I really don't like timed things, it puts too much stress on me I feel like I must hurry up :(

Anyway personally speaking, I would love to see 2 things, 1)Team Death Match where we can play 8vs8, 2)Survival Mode where it involves a team trying to survive another team's attack, no idea how it would work in TR with no monsters though.

But here is the thing, in MP there should be very few ammo, unlike the SP, so we have to always change weapons, it will enforce the idea of survival IMO.

JapaneseIsland
15th Dec 2012, 19:17
This is me, but I really don't like timed things, it puts too much stress on me I feel like I must hurry up :(

Anyway personally speaking, I would love to see 2 things, 1)Team Death Match where we can play 8vs8, 2)Survival Mode where it involves a team trying to survive another team's attack, no idea how it would work in TR with no monsters though.

But here is the thing, in MP there should be very few ammo, unlike the SP, so we have to always change weapons, it will enforce the idea of survival IMO.

I would love
Deathmatch - Fight against other players and form teams in an arena like area. ALL KILLING ALL DEATH. and no time limit please D:
Survivor - Play on a hub space with multiple people, using camp sites, exploring tombs and solving missions, you must also fight to the death and survive as long as you can.

Sam_kain
15th Dec 2012, 20:32
Survivor - Play on a hub space with multiple people, using camp sites, exploring tombs and solving missions, you must also fight to the death and survive as long as you can.

you mean like Co-Op right ?!, that would be interesting, 3 or 4 player Co-Op, against enemies, with few weapons and ammo, making the survival, stealth, and exploration a MUST.

a_big_house
15th Dec 2012, 22:54

Erm. No. Tomb Raider has never needed multiplayer and calling the people who are trying to defend their favourite franchise from the hordes of bland multiplayer based games isn't making you look good.

larafan25
15th Dec 2012, 22:59
But what is unique for the sake of being unique?

Every video game idea, series, franchise or property in the entire world should be able to express it's ideas and themes to their fullest.

Logically TR is completely mechanically compatible with multiplayer.

a_big_house
15th Dec 2012, 23:07
Sure it is, but with a game like TR is it completely pointless. It brings nothing to the overall experience.

larafan25
15th Dec 2012, 23:09
Sure it is, but with a game like TR is it completely pointless. It brings nothing to the overall experience.

- It brings a social experience.

- If we're fighting each other, the enemy intelligence is no longer artificial and is a lot more unpredictable and intelligent (well in some cases).

a_big_house
15th Dec 2012, 23:19
So...
If I wanted to be social, I'd got outside and run around talking to strangers like every other idiot. I get enough social experience on here, talking to people all over the world about my favourite game franchise as well as being in full time education, having a job.

If multiplayer is going to be just about killing other players (which it will be) there wont be any social interacting, it'll be anger and violence, non-stop.

larafan25
15th Dec 2012, 23:23
So...
If I wanted to be social, I'd got outside and run around talking to strangers like every other idiot. I get enough social experience on here, talking to people all over the world about my favourite game franchise as well as being in full time education, having a job.

If yall wanted to, you could fly on over the Pacific Ocean and jump out. You could raid tombs and shoot animals. :whistle:

Of course, playing a game about that is a lot more convenient.

If multiplayer is going to be just about killing other players (which it will be) there wont be any social interacting, it'll be anger and violence, non-stop.

I sing while I kill people in Uncharted multiplayer, and I talk to my friends on the chat, and we kill each other, and it's fun. I don't think we get too angry.

a_big_house
15th Dec 2012, 23:26
^ Hmm... Tell you what, if this multiplayer actually looks different, we should set up a group on here and get a load of us to play together. That way, at least we know we aren't playing against a bunch of scream 9 years olds, yeah?

larafan25
15th Dec 2012, 23:29
^ Hmm... Tell you what, if this multiplayer actually looks different, we should set up a group on here and get a load of us to play together. That way, at least we know we aren't playing against a bunch of scream 9 years olds, yeah?

I've got a few online friends who I know will already be playing, so that's a great idea. :D

JapaneseIsland
15th Dec 2012, 23:43
I love that idea. Count me in.

- It brings a social experience.

- If we're fighting each other, the enemy intelligence is no longer artificial and is a lot more unpredictable and intelligent (well in some cases).
I agree. It helps problem solving too, and with the actual intelligence, will create hardships and cause you to be even more immersed in the game and in trying to survive, creating an incredibly intense experience with Multiplayer.

Elliot Kane
15th Dec 2012, 23:47
I'm not saying it can't be done, but TR has a couple of inbuilt problems that need to be overcome if it is to incorporate a multi-player that would actually work for the series, IMO.

First and foremost, TR has only one actual character. This makes MP pretty hard as you can't have multiple Laras running around. That would just be ridiculous. So either only one player gets to play Lara, or no-one does, with the game being 'quest for Lara' (Whether find & kill or find & rescue).

Secondly, the TR series may involve a lot of fighting at points, but it is not primarily a game about combat. An MP section that was only about combat would not represent the game and would most likely not be all that popular with TR fans (Does anyone play the game just for the combat?). There's also no way the hardcore shooter crowd are going to be interested. Why should they be? There are plenty of shooter games designed primarily AS MP shooters, after all.

Adding totally unnecessary multi-player does seem to be a current fetish with many companies. Not sure why...

Co-operative multi-player could work with 'hunt Lara' or 'rescue Lara'. Adversarial MP with two teams hunting Lara (One hunts, other rescues). I'm not sure either is what anyone wants in a TR game.

Puzzles in MP are pointless, as any given map would be a challenge exactly once per player, unless there is some way to randomise them, which sounds incredibly complicated. Yet without puzzles, what is TR? 'Admire the scenery MP' may not prove to be the most popular idea... :D

So yeah, it would be awkward to get a GOOD MP section - and harder still to get a good MP section anyone would want to play. After all, everyone plays TR to play Lara, right? If everyone plays Lara clones, the game is a joke. If one person or no-one plays Lara, that won't make players very happy.

Lara vrs Doppelganger vrs Amanda vrs Natla (Different skill sets!) has very definite possibilities, I suppose but, oops, reboot! Three of those four characters have no definite existence in New TR...

So yeah, I can see how the idea of TR MP might concern some fans. It could so easily be time wasted on the latest company-mandated shiny that could be better spent on the main game.

BUT - I also see no reason to write off the idea entirely. Ignoring the 'reboot' part, that whole Lara vrs Amanda vrs Doppelganger vrs Natla thing sounds pretty awesome, doesn't it? :D

larafan25
15th Dec 2012, 23:48
Indeed. Real players are a lot more aggressive I find, so they pose a good challenge.

It's hard to think of player to player interaction without it being combat though.

What type of game mode could you create if you theoretically removed all weapons and removed killing as the main objective while still keeping the mode competitive?

Elliot Kane
15th Dec 2012, 23:53
For TR? Obstacle course. It's been a mainstay of TR games since the beginning. Race against the other players over a seriously broken up section of terrain. Places to jump, climb, swing, etc. First to grab the prize artifact wins.

TR players pride themselves on being good at the awkward climbing/jumping parts, after all! :D

That's the kind of map that COULD be made variable, meaning every time the player went in it would be different.

A true test of skill against human opponents? That'd work.

a_big_house
15th Dec 2012, 23:58
^ Hmm, would still get old, racing people over and over I mean...

larafan25
15th Dec 2012, 23:59
First and foremost, TR has only one actual character. This makes MP pretty hard as you can't have multiple Laras running around. That would just be ridiculous. So either only one player gets to play Lara, or no-one does, with the game being 'quest for Lara' (Whether find & kill or find & rescue).

Why can't you? I mean, sure if it's some sort of plot-based, linear cooperative mode featuring cutscenes than you can't have 2 Lara's, or it would look silly.

However having multiple Lara's in a death match wouldn't be strange, I don't think. Maybe I'm just used to playing Uncharted's multiplayer.

Secondly, the TR series may involve a lot of fighting at points, but it is not primarily a game about combat. An MP section that was only about combat would not represent the game and would most likely not be all that popular with TR fans (Does anyone play the game just for the combat?). There's also no way the hardcore shooter crowd are going to be interested. Why should they be? There are plenty of shooter games designed primarily AS MP shooters, after all.

Previously, I personally wouldn't have been too interested in a combat-based TR multiplayer. Because the combat was kind of...not suited for PVP. However now TR seems to have great working, modern, and frantic third-person shooter mechanics.

I hate to keep bringing up Uncharted, but I think TR's combat is on par with what Uncharted has and there are tons of people playing and enjoying that multiplayer experience mainly for the combat.

Adding totally unnecessary multi-player does seem to be a current fetish with many companies. Not sure why...

I'd say it's because nothing is really necessary. So they must ask themselves "why not?"

For TR? Obstacle course. It's been a mainstay of TR games since the beginning. Race against the other players over a seriously broken up section of terrain. Places to jump, climb, swing, etc. First to grab the prize artifact wins.

Races for treasure sound good, but a linear race doesn't sound nearly as appealing.

It would need to be non-linear, and not just physically non-linear, but the objective would need to be a sort of tug-o-war for whatever treasure, in order to keep it feeling fresh on re-plays.

That leaves us with what would essentially be Capture the Flag though.

TR players pride themselves on being good at the awkward climbing/jumping parts, after all! :D

I think platforming should be implemented without being too obstructive or designed, merely providing very vertical environments that can be taken advantage of with ease.

Though a more grand version of multiplayer, a minimized version of the entire game's theme. To have a few hub-sized maps with one overall objective, to obtain the treasure. Then create a completely round-feeling, non-linear space, drop the players in weaponless, and have them find gear on their chosen "path" to secure the treasure. Who knows how many players they meet on the way, or if there is a show down where the treasure is hidden. In fact, is the treasure hidden?

Though something like that is kind of grand for multiplayer, and doesn't fit the bite-sized matches most people will want. Though it can always be one option.

JapaneseIsland
16th Dec 2012, 00:10
You can play as other characters, or even as a scavenger.
Or, you can customize or change your Lara's appearance. Like tank top color. Green, red, orange, yellow and dark purple, aswell as the default color. Or give your Lara a skin.

As for the weaponless mode, you could team up with other survivors or compete against the survivors by finding a certain item or amount of items that make you the survivor or winner. You can perhaps also have races to a certain area, and the first person to get their wins first place or something.

larafan25
16th Dec 2012, 00:15
You can play as other characters, or even as a scavenger.
Or, you can customize or change your Lara's appearance. Like tank top color. Green, red, orange, yellow and dark purple, aswell as the default color. Or give your Lara a skin.

As for the weaponless mode, you could team up with other survivors or compete against the survivors by finding a certain item or amount of items that make you the survivor or winner. You can perhaps also have races to a certain area, and the first person to get their wins first place or something.

Ah. I totes forgot about the skins. I wonder if...say the game had MP, if you could use the SP skins in MP.

But to be honest guys, If I'm willing to play as Sam, I'm sure there are people who are willing to play as characters other than Lara.

As well, once people play the campaign I'm sure they'd grow attached to some of the side-characters from the Endurance.

I feel like a race to a ruin, but also having to bring an item there would be cooler than just a race, because it creates the possibility of a showdown before the match ends.

Though I just realized, TR (although like almost any games) is composed of platforming, exploration, puzzle solving and combat, the only element that doesn't naturally end up in mutliplayer is puzzle-solving. So it's odd to me that we allow that one (although important) element hold us back, when platforming and exploration can be prevalent in MP. 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

Elliot Kane
16th Dec 2012, 00:17
^ Hmm, would still get old, racing people over and over I mean...

Anything gets old if you do it enough :)

Why can't you? I mean, sure if it's some sort of plot-based, linear cooperative mode featuring cutscenes than you can't have 2 Lara's, or it would look silly.

However having multiple Lara's in a death match wouldn't be strange, I don't think. Maybe I'm just used to playing Uncharted's multiplayer.

Maybe so. It sounds utterly ridiculous, to me, having several copies of the same character running around. Unless that character is one of a batch of clones. A dozen Doppelgangers fighting over who is 'the one true Doppelganger' might work! :D

Previously, I personally wouldn't have been too interested in a combat-based TR multiplayer. Because the combat was kind of...not suited for PVP. However now TR seems to have great working, modern, and frantic third-person shooter mechanics.

I hate to keep bringing up Uncharted, but I think TR's combat is on par with what Uncharted has and there are tons of people playing and enjoying that multiplayer experience mainly for the combat.

Isn't the Uncharted series a whole lot more combat-oriented than TR in the first place, though? I've never played it as it's not a PC game, but I gathered that was one of the main differences?

I'd say it's because nothing is really necessary. So they must ask themselves "why not?"

If that's the reasoning, why make ANY game in the first place? I get the impression it's just the latest fad amongst companies, but honestly your guess is as good as mine. They may think gamers want or even expect it, or something equally bizarre, for all I know...

Races for treasure sound good, but a linear race doesn't sound nearly as appealing.

It would need to be non-linear, and not just physically non-linear, but the objective would need to be a sort of tug-o-war for whatever treasure, in order to keep it feeling fresh on re-plays.

That leaves us with what would essentially be Capture the Flag though.

Yeah, but a non-violent all-acrobatics variant.

I think platforming should be implemented without being too obstructive or designed, merely providing very vertical environments that can be taken advantage of with ease.

Can't have a TR game without platforming, really :)

Though a more grand version of multiplayer, a minimized version of the entire game's theme. To have a few hub-sized maps with one overall objective, to obtain the treasure. Then create a completely round-feeling, non-linear space, drop the players in weaponless, and have them find gear on their chosen "path" to secure the treasure. Who knows how many players they meet on the way, or if there is a show down where the treasure is hidden. In fact, is the treasure hidden?

Though something like that is kind of grand for multiplayer, and doesn't fit the bite-sized matches most people will want. Though it can always be one option.

Yeah, was about to say it sounds like a several hour game. Don't think most MP players are up for that. Not saying it's a bad idea, mind - I actually think it sounds quite intriguing.

a_big_house
16th Dec 2012, 00:17
Hide and seek! 7 players all looking for 1 player, hidden somewhere on some map, that would be new to multiplayer

larafan25
16th Dec 2012, 00:20
Hide and seek! 7 players all looking for 1 player, hidden somewhere on some map, that would be new to multiplayer

Okay, now yall are thinking fun! D:

If it was one player, then to keep the match interesting I'd make it a hide and seek tag, so once the player is found they then help search for the others.

Or make it team based and have survivors hiding from scavengers, and then swap it out next match.

Though would that still be combat-oriented? Would the player kills you once you're found (it kind of fits in line with the SP campaign)?

JapaneseIsland
16th Dec 2012, 00:21
Ah. I totes forgot about the skins. I wonder if...say the game had MP, if you could use the SP skins in MP.

But to be honest guys, If I'm willing to play as Sam, I'm sure there are people who are willing to play as characters other than Lara.

As well, once people play the campaign I'm sure they'd grow attached to some of the side-characters from the Endurance.

I feel like a race to a ruin, but also having to bring an item there would be cooler than just a race, because it creates the possibility of a showdown before the match ends.

Though I just realized, TR (although like almost any games) is composed of platforming, exploration, puzzle solving and combat, the only element that doesn't naturally end up in mutliplayer is puzzle-solving. So it's odd to me that we allow that one (although important) element hold us back, when platforming and exploration can be prevalent in MP. 3 out of 4 isn't bad.
I would hope that you can use various skins or different colors for clothing. And I would love to play as side characters too. OH OH, And different characters should have their own special skill or item. Like Sam's orange!!!! :naughty: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
No seriously, perhaps Sam can use a sort of knife or something. The muscular guy can be brutally strong, and punch people, etc.

Edit: I'd love hide and seek. HAHA XD

a_big_house
16th Dec 2012, 00:24
I never mentioned combat in hide and seek Larafan! :p
What's wrong with a simple, no violence run around :D

JapaneseIsland
16th Dec 2012, 00:26
Hide and seek could go well with the stealth elements. Perhaps you can take on the opposing players trying to find you, or at least change hiding places and be stealthy. They then "find" you by attempting to kill you and alerting the other players with a button that they have spotted you. And you are forced to survive. Really intense stuff.

larafan25
16th Dec 2012, 00:26
I only brought up combat because I was wondering how you would catch the other player.

Perhaps a simple button prompt when you get close enough and maybe you could make an animation like you're about to drag them away.

edit: Yall need to watch the Gauntlet BTW, I think they have challenging like...stand on a pole in the rain. Maybe the wind and weight physics could play a role in MP.

Elliot Kane
16th Dec 2012, 00:27
...Dunno about hide & seek. I think that could get quite boring unless it was on a timer. Hider 'wins' if not found inside X minutes, seeker(s) win(s) if hider found. Huh. OK, maybe it WOULD work! :D

I only brought up combat because I was wondering how you would catch the other player.

Perhaps a simple button prompt when you get close enough and maybe you could make an animation like you're about to drag them away.

Tranq darts! :D

Weemanply109
16th Dec 2012, 00:28
I'd actually love some form of Multiplayer, my mind has definitely changed. As long as it's not too lacking and generic, I'm fine with whatever they offer. :D