PDA

View Full Version : Give us some good costumes!

Ribbercage
22nd Dec 2010, 13:34
It really adds a lot to the gameplay imo, It feels refreshing everytime I replay a game also. Let us change them on our first playthrough on each level if we want. Anniversary is where im unlocking costumes but I can't even use them on my playthrough. I lost my save data somehow and now I have to beat it again in order to use them. Come on

hiMe
22nd Dec 2010, 13:59
Maybe when you complete the game once, you can unlock some of her well known "adult" clothing. (Shorts not lingerie guys)
It'd be funny if they included a baddy mode at the end where the bad guys don't attack you cos you look the same.

Flintmelody
10th Jan 2011, 04:09
I would definately like to see Classic outfit as bonus but don't mind other than that. Would say the awesome Japan dress but it would just be silly and out of place in this game.

Rios
10th Jan 2011, 04:12
Yeah classic outfits are a good idea, maybe some novelty stuff would be fun too, Lara Croft school girl uniform anyone?

AdobeArtist
10th Jan 2011, 04:54
Believe me Ribbercage, I totally get where you're coming from. Unlocking outfits and replaying various levels to see how the scene looked with Lara in the various ensembles is a cherished feature of the games.

And it wasn't just replayability, but just how it added to the character of Lara with all the diversity she had in her image. It really set her apart from any other female protagonist in gaming, most of the others being quite monotoned compared to Lara's diversity.

But even so, we all have to accept that any form of unlockable outfits has no place within the context of this particular game. In the past instalments, there was always the background explanation that Lara had her mansion and therin an expansive wardrobe from which she could prepare for the next stop of her expedition.

But this time Lara is severed from all luxuries and her supporting infrastructure. She doesn't have that supply depot to draw her materials from, and is forced to make do with only what she can scavenge from her surroundings. In the most literal sense, the clothes on her back is all she's got to dress herself with, for the entire duration of her ordeal. No matter how dirty or torn it gets, what she starts with is what she'll have to end with.

Basically any form of outfit unlocking or options for the player to select at the beginning of each level (if there even is a level structure to the flow of this game) would just shatter the reality of the situation. That simply isn't an option here.

So while I will miss the outfit options, gotta work within the confines of the story. But we can hope to see a return of this sweet game feature in the next chapter, when Lara returns to civilization and her fully loaded mansion :)

Silvermoth
14th Jan 2011, 03:57
Novelty costumes could be fun. Maybe something like a Gothic Lolita sort of look complete with anime style cat ears could be a laugh if you want to diverge from the serious nature of the game once you've finished it.

Or Lady Gaga's meat dress lol. Or even a female version of Indiana Jones' classic outfit!

Or Wendy from Where's Wally? It would clash horribly but that's part of the fun :D

Ants_27_
14th Jan 2011, 08:46
Well, personally I never used any of the clothing they give you I just pick the first one that appears. Why? Cause for me they don't add one thing to the game nor make it feel fresher. At least for me.:)

Pulse
14th Jan 2011, 17:13
Yeah, they're fun to look at the first time, but they add nothing to gameplay and barely affect (effect?) the game at all.

Pietras
14th Jan 2011, 19:34
Please CD, don't waste any time on useless unlockable costumes :hmm:

Lukass
14th Jan 2011, 20:15
There will be no extra costumes as it was confirmed and I am glad.

Denis..
14th Jan 2011, 22:32
costumes?
u must mean outfits..
well guys for me the basic outfit lara has on as the main outfit for the game is always my favourite..
ex. in tr anniversary - anniversary outfit
in underworld the jungle shorts
in legend the legend one and so on..

basically i don't care about unlockable outfits at all..
im a gamer and as a gamer the last thing that would bother me in any game is the outfit..

LC is Me
14th Jan 2011, 23:25
I don't get the appeal of costumes.
=/

I'm not gonna replay the game over just because I got another costume unlocked. That doesn't add replay value at all to me. And if it is supposed to, I think it's a real BS way of doing it.

Do something different to add replay value other than stick me with playing dress up.

_Love2Raid_
15th Jan 2011, 00:51
I love modding. The more outfits, the better! :)

TrickyVein
15th Jan 2011, 02:23
No one here liked the squishy sound of Lara's doppelganger feet from Anniversary? Too bad.

Danielsun_
15th Jan 2011, 11:47
Believe me Ribbercage, I totally get where you're coming from. Unlocking outfits and replaying various levels to see how the scene looked with Lara in the various ensembles is a cherished feature of the games.

And it wasn't just replayability, but just how it added to the character of Lara with all the diversity she had in her image. It really set her apart from any other female protagonist in gaming, most of the others being quite monotoned compared to Lara's diversity.

But even so, we all have to accept that any form of unlockable outfits has no place within the context of this particular game. In the past instalments, there was always the background explanation that Lara had her mansion and therin an expansive wardrobe from which she could prepare for the next stop of her expedition.

But this time Lara is severed from all luxuries and her supporting infrastructure. She doesn't have that supply depot to draw her materials from, and is forced to make do with only what she can scavenge from her surroundings. In the most literal sense, the clothes on her back is all she's got to dress herself with, for the entire duration of her ordeal. No matter how dirty or torn it gets, what she starts with is what she'll have to end with.

Basically any form of outfit unlocking or options for the player to select at the beginning of each level (if there even is a level structure to the flow of this game) would just shatter the reality of the situation. That simply isn't an option here.

So while I will miss the outfit options, gotta work within the confines of the story. But we can hope to see a return of this sweet game feature in the next chapter, when Lara returns to civilization and her fully loaded mansion :)

Hey who knows man, they could add some RPG elements to it, you know, kill a wolf get some trousers, kill a bear get a top and kill a boss get duel wield pistols :p

i jest, but they said they will have a base camp of some sort maybe she had a spare change of clothes with her and that was salvaged, who would go on a boat ride without any change of clothes? ;)

WinterSoldierLTE
15th Jan 2011, 21:10
I really dug the unlockable outfits. Yeah, they didn't affect gameplay any, but it was cause for a replay or 2 for a "completion purist" such as myself. And some of them were pretty f**kin' awesome. Did they make sense in the context of the story being told? No. Were they a cool visual to look at on a replay? Yeah.

LaSCHM00VE
16th Jan 2011, 04:50
Unlockable sexy outfits are totally fine what me. Why wouldn't this be in a Tomb Raider game with a sexy protagonist? I don't want to much "realism" in this game. Sounds like a bad idea just to make the series look more mature and find acceptance.

AdobeArtist
16th Jan 2011, 18:58
Unlockable sexy outfits are totally fine what me. Why wouldn't this be in a Tomb Raider game with a sexy protagonist? I don't want to much "realism" in this game. Sounds like a bad idea just to make the series look more mature and find acceptance.

I so strongly disagree here. making the series mature, in content (blood, violence, etc..), story context, and character development, is what will advance the series to become relevant in the years to come. It ain't 1996 anymore and the games can't be treated as such. If it doesn't move forward, it dies.

And this is coming from someone who very much appreciates the outfit selections and Lara's sex appeal. But they have no place in this particular instalment. Doesn't work with the life and death context of the game, nor can it fit when she doesn't have access to her mansion wardrobe, forced to make do only with what she has.

And as I said before, I hope to see the outfit selections return for the future games of this new starting point. No they didn't affect the gameplay in anyway. But does that really matter? Being able to personalize the experience is just as rewarding. I really enjoyed being able to present Lara my own way for given story cinematics. It added just a bit of uniqueness to my own experience, and that's what games are about :)

With how long outfit selections have been a staple of the series, I'm greatly surprised to see how many people regard it as a negative feature. Truly disconcerted :hmm:

Error96_
18th Jan 2011, 16:09

Agreed completely. I would rather Lara be an almost unreal superhero. What person in the real world would tackle lions, dinosaurs, groups of mersonaries, and high powers like Natla and Seth and come out standing. Nobody. That and she still keeps a sence of wit. The realistic violence is definately needed for a modern TR (even Core's early games had more blood and brutal deaths than CD's) but fully realistic Lara wouldn't really work.

This is coming from someone who very much appreciates the outfit selections and Lara's sex appeal. But they have no place in this particular instalment. Doesn't work with the life and death context of the game, nor can it fit when she doesn't have access to her mansion wardrobe, forced to make do only with what she has.

Cool outfits and Lara's sex appeal have a place in every Tomb Raider game as they represent a part of who Lara is and her personality. CD have gone too far to make her look a wreck for the island that I am really not keen. Just isn't as much fun without her being a bit sexy.

I love getting to play as Lara in the classic outfit, the catsuits, cool biker costume or the brilliant black dress. Is good to get that variety.

BraveNewGuy
18th Jan 2011, 18:35
Bring back the Bikini please

Darth Ryu
19th Jan 2011, 01:10
Bring back the Bikini please

Oh please Lord!! bring it back!!

AdobeArtist
22nd Jan 2011, 19:01
Cool outfits and Lara's sex appeal have a place in every Tomb Raider game as they represent a part of who Lara is and her personality. CD have gone too far to make her look a wreck for the island that I am really not keen. Just isn't as much fun without her being a bit sexy.

I love getting to play as Lara in the classic outfit, the catsuits, cool biker costume or the brilliant black dress. Is good to get that variety.

What??? :confused::confused:

Are you not getting the context of this game? Lara is stranded and isolated on an uncharted island, with no base of support. The only supplies and materials she has is what she can scavenge from her environement.

Just HOW is she going to get access to any outfit she (or the player) wants? This also affects her overall appearance. She's trekking through a living hell, no comforts or luxuries, being subjected to the wilderness and elements. Of course she's going to be dirty and scraped ll over. I suppose you expect her to come across a salon on the island to give her a hair styling and a manicure? Really?

I've already said I'm a fan of the outfit selections, and you certainly won't see any complaints from me to see Lara in a bikini. But you can't say that outfit selections has a place in any game without looking at its context. What you're asking for completely breaks the reality of her present predicament. Hopefully that feature will return in the next instalment, but there's no way it can be worked into this game, and we all have to accept that.

a_big_house
22nd Jan 2011, 20:16
the only outfit changes i want to see, is something like in dead rising when you can find different items ect. for example, laras boots are too worn out, you will have to find another pair to traverse this slippery beam...

Cheese is nice.
26th Jan 2011, 07:56
I love costumes every bit as much as everyone else but I don't really see the necessity for them in this game. While a good idea to have costumes would be to have a clothing trunk float ashore after you beat a level or episode. She takes them back to base camp and makes a hodge podge trunk for them out of driftwood and vines. Come to think of it, these clothes that she's wearing are gonna take a beating. It might make sense to at least have or even make one or two more. Nevermind. I take back what I said. Costumes!! Preferably ones that look like she made them!!

Pulse
27th Jan 2011, 23:14

Forget everything you know about Tomb Raider.

Cheese is nice.
29th Jan 2011, 04:41
Forget everything you know about Tomb Raider.

I agree Pulse. Tomb Raider has never been about the outfits. Those are only things that may help for replay ability. I agree that variety is the spice of life, and I love playing in a brand new outfit that I worked to unlock, but Tomb Raider is about adventure, intrigue, diabolical puzzles that crazy ancient civilizations have thought up, and solving the unknown secrets of the world not known for centuries. Not about the outfits. Those are just a nice bonus.;)

jtr7
29th Jan 2011, 04:45
http://www.cartoondollemporium.com/laradoll.html#2

Does it really have to be built into an official title? Fans can do better than this.

Cheese is nice.
29th Jan 2011, 04:55
http://www.cartoondollemporium.com/laradoll.html#2

Does it really have to be built into an official title? Fans can do better than this.

^^^ Ha.:D