PDA

View Full Version : Lara vs. Laura - how to pronounce her name

Callum
18th Dec 2010, 14:00
Edit by Driber - combining 2 threads. Original OPs below:

Probably A Waste Of A Thread But, Can People Please Stop Calling Lara, LAURA! Its So Annoying.

Thank You :rasp:

Nine out of ten times in interviews or commentaries, Lara's name is pronounced incorrectly. I've heard Lara, Laura, Loora, Loriah...once even Liara. :rolleyes: Mind you, I'm not an intolerable person and I find these mispronunciations quite humorous from time to time but it does bother me here and there. Especially when people who work for Square Enix or Crystal Dynamics who are responsible for Lara's existence can't even pronounce their own creation's name properly. :lol:

A common argument is that a person's accent or speaking ability causes them to pronounce her name incorrectly. I can't agree with that, considering I've heard other people will the same accent and dialect pronounce her name properly.

Would anyone be able to offer a different insight into the cause of the mispronunciation, so I could have a better understanding? It could be something I'm missing...unless those who mispronounce Lara's name are just ignorant to the correct form. :p

(I've also included a small poll to see if anyone else is bothered by this.)

LC is Me
18th Dec 2010, 17:32
Really don't bother me much.
It might be an American thing (not to be prejudiced).
Lara isn't really a common name heard in the States (aside from the game) and even when it is someone's name, because of how common the name Laura is, some people just think it's pronounced that way. Can't help it sometimes. I have friends who say Laura and then one pointed out her name lacked a U and asked me to pronounce it. It might just be like that sometimes. Though, I understand, her name is spelt out in numerous places to see...it might be difficult for some people to pronounce.

......I'll stop talking your head off now.
>.>

DamianGraham
22nd Dec 2010, 01:07
I live in the states (and am American haha) and I gotta say I strongly agree... Lara.. It's not that hard to understand. lol i get mad at my friends (who don't normally play TR) and I'm like.. no.. if you can't say it right.. don't say it :P

hiMe
22nd Dec 2010, 11:58
Rhymes with my family names.

Mine : Sarah
Sister: Farah
Cousin: Amara
Cousin: Zahra
Awesome. rofl

NightRain'06
25th Dec 2010, 09:39
Probably A Waste Of A Thread But, Can People Please Stop Calling Lara, LAURA! Its So Annoying.

This could be a reason but don't hold it against me.

To be fair, when people hear British people say Lara [ Lah-Ra ], some of their accents probably confuses them because it's thick so they might hear it as Laura [ Law-Ra ].

Even in TR films, it does sound like Laura when the other characters said her name.

When I first discovered TR3, my first one played, I had no trouble calling her Lara [ Lah-Ra ] off the game box. Hehe.. No mistake there.

Mangar The Dark
28th Dec 2010, 04:11
I can't imagine getting mad about something so trivial, but at the same time, I also don't know why people have trouble saying it. I'm an American, and I've heard the name "Lara" long before TR games ever existed. I've also heard the name "Laura" many times, and it's quite easy to hear the difference.

One thing I will say, though, is that I always say "Lara" so that it rhymes with "Sara." I don't say "Lah-ra." I hear both pronunciations in the real world, same as I hear "Mario" (with the "ar" sound like in "Sara") and "Mahrio." I just prefer the "rhymes with 'Sara'" pronunciation.

_Love2Raid_
29th Dec 2010, 01:57
I couldn´t care less, lol. :o

BraveNewGuy
29th Dec 2010, 16:28
seriously !

_Love2Raid_
29th Dec 2010, 22:03
Lora, Lara, Laura. But yeah, spelling pronouns correctly is easy with copy/paste if the brain won't learn.

Luv2Rade, I'm sure you do care.
I´m sure I don´t. And it´s Love2Raid.

LC is Me
29th Dec 2010, 22:11
I´m sure I don´t. And it´s Love2Raid.

Ooooh, fell right into that one.

tomb1fan
29th Dec 2010, 22:18

honestly it's the same name but pronouns different please don't get mad at me but just ignore it if it really bother u

_Love2Raid_
30th Dec 2010, 01:06
Ooooh, fell right into that one.
Nope, that´s my username. Not caring about one thing doesn´t mean not caring about anything at all.

LC is Me
30th Dec 2010, 01:31
Nope, that´s my username. Not caring about one thing doesn´t mean not caring about anything at all.

But when you think about it, it's kinda the same thing...

HERM, whatever. We won't go into it. o u o

_Love2Raid_
30th Dec 2010, 01:44
No, it´s not. I picked my username myself, it is who I am here. Of course I care about it. Lara Croft... I wouldn´t even mind if they really changed her name to Laura Croft, lol. I don´t even play the games because of her, not anymore.

I don´t have anything else to say about this, it´s already more than enough.

LC is Me
30th Dec 2010, 02:09
Srsly, relax.
I said you didn't have to go in to explaining yourself. Not that serious.
Chillllll. o 3o

Quolli
2nd Jun 2012, 09:54
They always seem to say "Laura" instead of "Lara". And I've only ever heard it recur when an American says it. British people are fine. Australians are fine. Any other English speakers say it correctly too.

a_big_house
2nd Jun 2012, 10:25
Where's the footage that this statement is based upon?
I don't think I've ever heard an American pronounce Lara as Laura, I have only ever heard her name spoken as; Lah-ra or Lar-ra.

LARALOVERnr1
2nd Jun 2012, 10:26
I can imagine people with a very VERY American accent saying it more like 'Laira', but so far I've only seen it written as 'Laura' =P

TranceTrouble
2nd Jun 2012, 10:55
i feel i have a dejavu i read this before somewhere on this forum. :p

LadyRufina
2nd Jun 2012, 10:58
I don't think I've ever heard an American pronounce Lara as Laura, I have only ever heard her name spoken as; Lah-ra or Lar-ra.

Really? The only Americans that i've seen prounounce it "La-ra" is Meagan Marie and Brian Horton and even then it's not completely right. The rest of Americans I know pronounce it "Lau-ra" or "Leh-ra"

Quolli
2nd Jun 2012, 11:05

It's a general statement, but 9 times out of 10 I hear it as "Laura".
I'll poke around YouTube and see if I can find anything, but my statement draws on interviews and commentary over the course of several years.

Example:
<<video removed for language>>
They both say "Laura Croft" in the first 40 seconds

Elliot Kane
2nd Jun 2012, 11:12
I hear more 'Lar-ra' where it should be 'Lah-ra' from Americans.

But I have to say, what REALLY cracks me up is 'Hairy Potter' :D

a_big_house
2nd Jun 2012, 12:22
I really don't hear Laura, I hear Lah-ra, but ok, I trust that you guys have better hearing than me haha :P

^ Hairy Potter!? What films have you been watching :L

The_Hylden
2nd Jun 2012, 13:07
Lara certainly isn't a common name over here in the USA. Laura is about all we ever see. It might be do to that, or it might not be happening at all and you're making it up to have a laugh at us oh-so-unsophisticated yanks :p In which case, I say phooey to you.

Metalrocks
2nd Jun 2012, 13:08
the first guy said lara, but the second guy said clearly laura.

Elliot Kane
2nd Jun 2012, 13:20
I really don't hear Laura, I hear Lah-ra, but ok, I trust that you guys have better hearing than me haha :P

^ Hairy Potter!? What films have you been watching :L

Have you never heard Americans discussing 'Hairy Potter', BH? Cracks me up every time! :D

The_Hylden
2nd Jun 2012, 13:30
Quolli, the only thing I can say after listening to a portion of that video, which I had to remove for its language content, is that those aren't exactly the cream of anyone's crop, American, or otherwise...

Those are a couple of jerks, sounding like spoiled two year olds you'd see cursing and throwing temper tantrums in multiplayer games like CoD, and the first thing they both say is that they don't even like this stupid game (Guardian of Light). Of course they're not going to pronounce it right...

Metalrocks
2nd Jun 2012, 13:33
Quolli, the only thing I can say after listening to a portion of that video, which I had to remove for its language content, is that those aren't exactly the cream of anyone's crop, American, or otherwise...

Those are a couple of jerks, sounding like spoiled two year olds you'd see cursing and throwing temper tantrums in multiplayer games like CoD, and the first thing they both say is that they don't even like this stupid game (Guardian of Light). Of course they're not going to pronounce it right...

true. i dint even bother to watch it besides the first 40secs to hear how they say laras name.
i wasnt fond of this game either but sure would not sound like that.

a_big_house
2nd Jun 2012, 14:13
Have you never heard Americans discussing 'Hairy Potter', BH? Cracks me up every time! :D

I haven't :S I'm clearly not living well :lol:

Elliot Kane
2nd Jun 2012, 14:28
I haven't :S I'm clearly not living well :lol:

You're really not! :D

Dollpy
2nd Jun 2012, 15:52
Of course it's going to be pronounced differently because of accents. What's bad is when you see someone write out Laura instead of Lara.

phoenix630
2nd Jun 2012, 16:01
I'm American, and I have heard people pronounce it like Laura, and because that's my first name, it really irritates me. I think it just depends on whether or not people know how to read. :)

AdobeArtist
2nd Jun 2012, 18:59
I'm Canadian and have never had difficulties proncouncing Lara :cool:

LadyRufina
2nd Jun 2012, 19:07
I'm Canadian and have never had difficulties proncouncing Lara :cool:

Yeah it's different for Canadians though. They know how to write in Queen's English (real English ;)) so they probably pronounce some things differently to USAmericans but not like an English way.

AdobeArtist
2nd Jun 2012, 19:21
Yeah it's different for Canadians though. They know how to write in Queen's English (real English ;)) so they probably pronounce some things differently to USAmericans but not like an English way.

We know what it's all aboot :cool:

No, we don't actually pronounce 'about' that way :p

Driber
2nd Jun 2012, 20:51
I think that referring to Americans only is generalizing, Quolli.

There are plenty of others - non Americans - who also cannot / don't want to / don't care about pronouncing Lara in the proper, proper way.

I myself also slightly vary from time to time on how to pronounce her name, and I am not American.

It's not really to do with one country alone, but more with how well you know English in general, or what kind of accent you use, if you know Lara from writing or from word-of-mouth, etc.

Look at the Dutch, the majority of us are very good - if not fluent - in English. Yet our typical accent often does not fail to expose us as being Dutch when we speak English ;) :D

As mentioned before in this thread, the important thing is to worry (and I use the term loosely) about how to write her name.

However her name is pronounced - whether with small or large difference - I think the vast majority of us know that it is Lara, not Laura. And at instances when someone spells it incorrectly, someone is always quick to correct them anyway :p

LadyRufina
2nd Jun 2012, 21:22
Typical Driber... always the voice of reason :rolleyes:

Elliot Kane
2nd Jun 2012, 21:30
Typical Driber... always the voice of reason :rolleyes:

Yeah! He's so unreasonable about it! :D

AdobeArtist
2nd Jun 2012, 21:53
However her name is pronounced - whether with small or large difference - I think the vast majority of us know that it is Lara, not Laura. And at instances when someone spells it incorrectly, someone is always quick to correct them anyway :p

Oh they get corrected alright. Corrected with extreme prejudice ;) :naughty:

Sina_Croft
2nd Jun 2012, 21:56
We know what it's all aboot :cool:

No, we don't actually pronounce 'about' that way :p

you don't? xD I've heard it so many times now, I started to believe it! :p

Bronxz32
3rd Jun 2012, 02:58
Late George Carlin, talked about something like this in his book, When Will Jesus Bring Pork chops? He basically talked about how people with names like Shawn, Shaun, Sean and Allen, Allan, Alan need to get together and figure out how to spell their names and pronounce it. He used some expletives.

mugenkb1
3rd Jun 2012, 03:07

IGN's rewind trailer of the Crossroads trailer:http://youtu.be/75_O-fUyXcY

the guy keeps on saying Laura..ugh. It's like saying someone who's name is Cara into Caura, Tara into Taura..I don't even..

Quolli
3rd Jun 2012, 03:52
IGN's rewind trailer of the Crossroads trailer:http://youtu.be/75_O-fUyXcY

the guy keeps on saying Laura..ugh. It's like saying someone who's name is Cara into Caura, Tara into Taura..I don't even..

Taura? I've heard the American way of saying "Tah-ra" (although some say "Tah-ra" just not as common). It sounds like "Teh-ra".

They say it in True Blood like that, but I can confirm it's not the fake accents that do it. Skip to about 0:30 where the blond says "Tara! Calm down"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV1fFB3F29I

And another video without the Southern accent. Skip to about 0:24.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW8q4tNGNBA

temirlan
3rd Jun 2012, 19:49
simply American and British English very differentiate

a_big_house
3rd Jun 2012, 20:01
Taura? I've heard the American way of saying "Tah-ra" (although some say "Tah-ra" just not as common). It sounds like "Teh-ra".

They say it in True Blood like that, but I can confirm it's not the fake accents that do it. Skip to about 0:30 where the blond says "Tara! Calm down"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV1fFB3F29I

And another video without the Southern accent. Skip to about 0:24.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW8q4tNGNBA

You mentioning 'Tara' reminded me of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' where everyone pronounced 'Dawn' as 'Don' :lol:
Also in Cougar Town, there was a glass called 'Carl'. I thought they were saying 'Coral' :scratch:

chip5541
4th Jun 2012, 01:41
Having worked at a hotel in both sales and front desk for 20+ years, pronunciation is not exclusive to nationalities. I have heard many words and names pronounced differently from people from the same city and heck, even the same family.

Elliot Kane
4th Jun 2012, 02:08
My favourite locally was a near neighbour who called his daughter Hayley. The problem is that he had no concept of the letter H and kept calling the poor girl 'Ayley'. I have no idea why he didn't call her 'Aileen' which is a perfectly good name and one he could actually pronounce! :D

italibabee
4th Jun 2012, 03:29
oh crap...now I don't know whether or not I've been pronouncing it right! :lol:

Malaksbane
4th Jun 2012, 05:55

In the recent trailer, at 1.44 and 1.53, the girl sitting on the crate, Sam I think, says something in between 'Laura' and 'Lara'. Not a big deal but clear enough, even for me as non-native English speaker, to notice it.

Quolli
4th Jun 2012, 07:15
In the recent trailer, at 1.44 and 1.53, the girl sitting on the crate, Sam I think, says something in between 'Laura' and 'Lara'. Not a big deal but clear enough, even for me as non-native English speaker, to notice it.

Roth also says it after Lara talks to him in the walkie talkie.

Driber
4th Jun 2012, 13:44
I think we can all agree that this is the proper way to pronounce it:

BqXECVzU_AU&start=81

;)

Elliot Kane
4th Jun 2012, 14:10
Yep. 'Lah-ruh' it is :)

Locoman42
4th Jun 2012, 14:50
oh crap...now I don't know whether or not I've been pronouncing it right! :lol:
LOL I know... Can someone upload a video on how to say it right.... Im positive....well kind of that I have been saying it right xD xD Not sure... but I'm pretty sure the people at E3 2011 DID say it wrong (well one of them) right??
-Locoman42

Driber
4th Jun 2012, 14:56
LOL I know... Can someone upload a video on how to say it right....

I just did :p 3 posts up ^

Locoman42
4th Jun 2012, 15:02
I just did :p 3 posts up ^
Awww thanks. She says it with a "rawr" type of voice.... Like its weird -_- lol xD NOt sure if I'm saying it right STILL. Im going with its fine -_-

Olenka
8th Jun 2012, 15:21
i didnt even noticed people calling her Laura, apart from mum and brother lol

Driber
8th Jun 2012, 15:33
Another "Laura" thread? :/

Merge time!

JRod3108
9th Jun 2012, 03:00
I don't really mind. I'm from Coastal Texas, we tend to draw out some of our syllables. Laura is much more comfortable to us than Lara. Really the only reason I even know how to properly say her name is because one of my friend's oldest sister had the name Lara and apparently she insisted on the correct pronunciation. She's the only Lara I know of in real life.

DamianGraham
10th Jun 2012, 06:29
Really? The only Americans that i've seen prounounce it "La-ra" is Meagan Marie and Brian Horton and even then it's not completely right. The rest of Americans I know pronounce it "Lau-ra" or "Leh-ra"

Again going back to my original post. I'm american from FARRR West Texas... Never once had issues on pronouncing it correctly. I've said Lara from day one. I think it's just because Laura is a really popular (read; general) girls name in the states, and people just assume it's another spelling of it to seem "cool" I don't think we should be hated for it thought, people make mistakes and it's no big deal... I get my name misspelled 300 times a day, and I've learned to get over worrying about it :p and Driber, I'm sorry but for some reason your "merge" comment made me LOL... this may be a sign that I need to sleep now and get off these forums for tonight... :lol:

AdobeArtist
10th Jun 2012, 07:24
What I find really perplexing is that Lara isn't at all spelled like Laura. So why would people think it's pronounced the same? You'd think the absense of the 'u' would indicate the 'a' is treated as a stand-alone vowel, and not the pheonetic twist you get when two vowels are combined.

Just like 'e' has a standard pronounciation on its own ('eh'), but "mutates" when combined with an 'i', like in 'heinous'.

JRod108
10th Jun 2012, 17:29
I don't know if this happens in Europe, but in America, some people are fond of butchering the traditional spellings of certain names in order to be hip, or unique. Personally, I think some examples of this makes the parents look illiterate (an extreme example of this would be the name L--a. Guess what that name really is? Ladasha. I kid you not, someone named their child that. :/) but it's becoming more common to see "alternate" spellings of names. Just look at all the different ways people spell Brittney. Britney, Britnee, Brittani, Brittnie, Britanie, Britani.

So, adobe, what I'm trying to say is that yes, you'd think people would logically think that Lara is exactly that, but it's becoming more common that people throw basic language rules out the window when spelling their children's names and it's usually the case that many people assume that Lara is Laura despite their being two different names....

joseywales1027
10th Jun 2012, 19:26
I happen to think that people (at least here in the states) are just to lazy to pronounce it correctly.

J/K

I don't know, but with the American English language that breaks it's own rule's(i b4 e anyone?)or like mentioned before the trend now to spell common names like 'laura' somehow else, I can see the confusion.

C.Forrestfield
10th Jun 2012, 19:32
Just Lara... never actually met anyone who pronounced it differently. :|

Valenka
14th Feb 2013, 04:44
Nine out of ten times in interviews or commentaries, Lara's name is pronounced incorrectly. I've heard Lara, Laura, Loora, Loriah...once even Liara. :rolleyes: Mind you, I'm not an intolerable person and I find these mispronunciations quite humorous from time to time but it does bother me here and there. Especially when people who work for Square Enix or Crystal Dynamics who are responsible for Lara's existence can't even pronounce their own creation's name properly. :lol:

A common argument is that a person's accent or speaking ability causes them to pronounce her name incorrectly. I can't agree with that, considering I've heard other people will the same accent and dialect pronounce her name properly.

Would anyone be able to offer a different insight into the cause of the mispronunciation, so I could have a better understanding? It could be something I'm missing...unless those who mispronounce Lara's name are just ignorant to the correct form. :p

(I've also included a small poll to see if anyone else is bothered by this.)

RybatGrimes
14th Feb 2013, 04:48
Nope, I don't. It's such a petty thing to get mad about, some people just say it a certain way. :I

Now the spelling, that's a different story.
although I don't get upset, I just correct them.

larafan25
14th Feb 2013, 04:48
I say gif with a hard g and Ayedose instead of Eyedose. So I mispronounce things and don't really give a fudge.

I find it funny when the official survival guide videos call her Laura tho. :p

Relight-TRHQ
14th Feb 2013, 04:51
It has bugged me a bit the few times I've heard Lara mispronounced. It would be amusing if, in the case of an interview, the person being interviewed would correct the interviewer, and say "No, actually it's pronounced Lara." :p :o

That would probably really throw off the interviewer LOL. I do feel really bad sometimes for developers when someone is interviewing them, and asking them really bad questions (in other words, questions that demonstrate the interviewer did not do their research ahead of time) or getting facts incorrect or things like that, and the developer is trying their hardest to be nice to the poor person. Things like that can show a disrespect for the developer in my opinion. You can sometimes see it on the face of the developer, where they're like "Really? I can't believe you just said that / asked me that."

Elliot Kane
14th Feb 2013, 05:28
I think people who aren't that familiar with the name kind of default to what they know - which is frequently 'Laura'.

You'd think 'Lah-ruh' is not that hard to get right, but if someone has never played the games and has only ever read the name as part of an interview brief, it may be harder than we think.

Different nationalities do tend to read words differently, too, which is what probably leads to 'Larruh' and similar mispronunciations.

I can't say I find it annoying, but in an interview it's a sign of poor research, which reflects badly on the interviewer and their support team alike. It's not like Lara is some really obscure character with a dozen syllables in her name.

larafan25
14th Feb 2013, 05:35
I don't necessarily think it reflects poorly on the interviewer's knowledge of TR and Lera. Meagan said Laura in the Game Informer podcast and she's a Tomb Raider fan.

Though I think there is like...this secret in-between name that sounds like Laura but is somehow Lara just being said quickly, casually and maybe with a bit of an accent, or less accentuated "a" sounds. IDK.

AdobeArtist
14th Feb 2013, 05:56
nah, I don't let a... ehh ahhh *twitch twitch*

sorry, as I was saying I don't let a little thing like... like... *twitch*

I mean c'mon really is such a thing *twitch* really worth getting worked up over? *twitch twitch*

So what if a few misinformed COMPLETELY IDIOTIC HATERZ WITH NOTHING BETTER TO... *twitch twitch*

ahhhh, sorry, got sidetracked there :o

Where was I? Oh right, these misunderstandings are no reason to take things so personally. Just gotta accept a few... a few *twitch* differences in opinion. And the fact that we care about Lara shouldn't cloud our judgement. Just because she's an icon who shaped the gaming landscape for female gamers for generations to come, and the respect that garners, is still no reason...

no reason to... to lose self... errrrr-ahhhhhhh *twitch twitch twitch*.... to lose.... no no NOOOO.... must not lose con-con-controllllllll.... not worth it adobe, it's not worth it.... remember what your therapist said... you're better than this, you're... you're *twitch twitch* you're better than them.... better than those...

those.... those ignorant never played a REAL platformer in their entire worthless lives as if they know Lara's true worth and what she did for gaming and who's name MUST be respected because if not for Lara there wouldn't be all the other female adventurers in a male dominated medium and seriously, just SERIOUSLY what the f**k is WRONG WITH THEM???

Is getting the name right TOO much to ask? Of course not, of course not. But NOOOOOOOOO, they can't be bothered to get a 4 letter name, just a 4 letter name right!!!! Ohhhh NO that would be too much trouble for a bunch of useless amateurs, well what would they know.

So to hell with them they should... they should... I should.... just... just... j-j-j-j-juuuuuust.... grrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRR

ADOBE SMAAAAAAAAASH!!!!!!

larafan25
14th Feb 2013, 06:01
Praying for you. xoxo

oldboy2003
14th Feb 2013, 06:02

I mean c'mon really is such a thing *twitch* really worth getting worked up over? *twitch twitch*

So what if a few misinformed COMPLETELY IDIOTIC HATERZ WITH NOTHING BETTER TO... *twitch twitch*

Where was I? Oh right, these misunderstandings are no reason to take things so personally. Just gotta accept a few... a few *twitch* differences in opinion. And the fact that we care about Lara shouldn't cloud our judgement. Just because she's an icon who shaped the gaming landscape for female gamers for generations to come, and the respect that garners, is still no reason...

no reason to... to lose self... errrrr-ahhhhhhh *twitch twitch twitch*.... to lose.... no no NOOOO.... must not lose con-con-controllllllll.... not worth it adobe, it's not worth it.... remember what your therapist said... you're better than this, you're... you're *twitch twitch* you're better than them.... better than those...

those.... those ignorant never played a REAL platformer in their entire worthless lives as if they know Lara's true worth and what she did for gaming and who's name MUST be respected because if not for Lara there wouldn't be all the other female adventurers in a male dominated medium and seriously, just SERIOUSLY what the f**k is WRONG WITH THEM???

Is getting the name right TOO much to ask? Of course not, of course not. But NOOOOOOOOO, they can't be bothered to get a 4 letter name, just a 4 letter name right!!!! Ohhhh NO that would be too much trouble for a bunch of useless amateurs, well what would they know.

So to hell with them they should... they should... I should.... just... just... j-j-j-j-juuuuuust.... grrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRR

jqapfc_url-1.jpeg.jpg

Driber
14th Feb 2013, 09:36
I'm not annoyed. Too little thing to get worked up about for me personally.

I myself also don't pronounce it the ENGLISH-English way. Though you wouldn't catch me pronouncing it "Laura", heh.

DrCroft
14th Feb 2013, 12:26
Didn't they pick Lara instead of Laura because it was easier for some accents to say? Sure I saw that on a documentary somewhere. I think I pronounce Lara the English-English way, I haven't really thought much about it until now :p. Then again I was saying meme wrong for years so who knows!

Tihocan
14th Feb 2013, 13:21
I don't necessarily think it reflects poorly on the interviewer's knowledge of TR and Lera.

I lol'd.

I don't mind if it's pronounced Lah-ra or Lar-ra. Perhaps even Laura I don't mind. My name has been differently pronounced and mispelled many times.

But Loora? Loriah?! Liara?!? Come on now.

EowynFan
13th Mar 2013, 02:51
Reyes definitely pronounced it "Lera" once...it was not cool.

Legendary Plank
13th Mar 2013, 02:59
To be honest, it bugs me when people mispronounce anything. Unless they call themselves out on it.

And when I call them out because they didnt realise, a common response is 'well thats how I say it'. Yes, but it is still INCORRECT. A lanuage has rules and constructs and regardless of your opinions, if you are saying it wrong you are saying it wrong.

Bad grammar irritates me too. 'More better' is a particularly common and annoying phrase.

Keiichi81
13th Mar 2013, 03:26
Yes, it's super annoying when I hear people mispronouncing her name. It's always Lah-rah this and Lah-rah that. I'm like, "IT'S FRICKIN' LAURA!" Amiright guys...?

9er_Fan
13th Mar 2013, 04:14
I thought that Whitman was mispronouncing Lara's name because they were trying to show how dim-witted he was.

That was my interpretation.

larafan25
13th Mar 2013, 04:19
Yes, it's super annoying when I hear people mispronouncing her name. It's always Lah-rah this and Lah-rah that. I'm like, "IT'S FRICKIN' LAURA!" Amiright guys...?

woat.

It is Lah-rah though.

SylvesterFox
13th Mar 2013, 04:53
Trying to figure out the best way to spell out the way I always pronounce it. Guess it would be Lahr-ah.

FarronFox
13th Mar 2013, 05:20
I get massively annoyed! :mad2:

I cannot believe in this day and age, when Lara has been an iconic character for so long and her name is plastered across the game cases saying 'Lara Croft' as well as on the cases to the Tomb Raider movies, and almost all other merchandise and yet I see people say 'Laura' or 'Lora'!! It is even worse when they claim they are even big fans and come out saying how much they love 'Laura/Lora' yet they can't even get the most basic thing about her right! :rolleyes:

Then when in audio you hear them mispronounce it as how you say Laura or even some strange sounding Lara like 'Laira' or 'Leera'. It's fine if you have different way of saying tomato and aluminium and herb and so forth, but Lara's name is her name and it is said so often in the games and Tomb Raider movies (with Angelina Jolie) people really, really should know how easy it is to say - just like saying car or tar, you take off the first letter, replace it with an L and then say 'ra'

Lord Martok
13th Mar 2013, 09:49

Father Merrin: I cast you out, unclean spirit! :D

As for me, I don't get irked either when I hear Lara's name mispronounced, because try as I might to remain correct in pronouncing her name, if I am speaking a bit fast, I sometimes accidentally say Lair-uh instead of Lah-rah. :)

CokneyCharmer
13th Mar 2013, 10:13
Nope, I don't. It's such a petty thing to get mad about, some people just say it a certain way. :I

Now the spelling, that's a different story.
although I don't get upset, I just correct them.

This....we know what her name is, its Lara Croft....its a pedantic thing to get annoyed about in all honesty

Metalrocks
13th Mar 2013, 10:52
i am annoyed but not that annoyed that i make a problem out of it.
but yes, people really need to learn how to pronounce her name correctly. angry joe also says laura. but well, at least we all know who they are talking about.

pomeranianpuppy
13th Mar 2013, 11:44
I've been a TR fan for well over a decade and still my mum calls her Laura :mad: Despite me correcting her EVERY SINGLE TIME :mad2:

Driber
13th Mar 2013, 11:58
Bad grammar irritates me too. 'More better' is a particularly common and annoying phrase.

IKR!

L3ggy
13th Mar 2013, 12:12

Epic.

logan23
13th Mar 2013, 15:25
Just call her L.C.
Then you won't need to remember how to spell or say it :-p

GUMI
13th Mar 2013, 15:40
It's so stupid that fans call themselfs "Hardcore fan" when they can't even say her name right.
Btw, The tomb raider facts series are great, That guy is hot but he says LAURA.
jJwX7KCDNco

Daftvirgin
13th Jul 2013, 09:17
Say, how does everyone pronounce "Lara"?

Lord Martok
13th Jul 2013, 10:31
Say, how does everyone pronounce "Lara"?

I pronounce it "Lah-ruh"

Daftvirgin
13th Jul 2013, 10:43
I find the way how Roth pronounces her name makes it sound ugly.

I pronounce it "Lah-ruh"

You make it sound ugly as well :lol:

pidipidi39
13th Jul 2013, 11:03
I pronounce it exactly how I write it: Lara.

Lord Martok
13th Jul 2013, 11:53
I find the way how Roth pronounces her name makes it sound ugly.

You make it sound ugly as well :lol:

LOL! Well....the phonetics make it look ugly, but once you pronounce it...it works. :)

I used to say "Lair-uh" when Ms. Croft was first intro'd in the 90's, but when I listened to Natla say it the first time, the actual pronunciation is "Lah-ruh" or "Lah-ra". :)

Weemanply109
13th Jul 2013, 13:43
My friend asked me to play this card game with him yesterday and one of the cards had Lara's name as "Laura Croft". Pfft.

I couldn't help but correct it.

Driber
13th Jul 2013, 13:46
My friend asked me to play this card game with him yesterday and one of the cards had Lara's name as "Laura Croft". Pfft.

I couldn't help but correct it.

Was it a homemade game, or did a company actually misprinted it? :eek:

Weemanply109
13th Jul 2013, 13:51
It's not a company one. :p I'm sure it's just a card game you can print from online.

DrCroft
13th Jul 2013, 14:18
I've been a TR fan for well over a decade and still my mum calls her Laura :mad: Despite me correcting her EVERY SINGLE TIME :mad2:

My mum has done this since I started playing TR about 16 years ago...I just nod now :p less hassle :P

sramts
13th Jul 2013, 15:17
it's kinda boring! i don't speak english, i learn it at school, but i'm portuguese. i pronounce it correctly in my language, but actually its boring when they say Loora, or Laura. it's Lara, man! hahaha

TombRaiding
13th Jul 2013, 16:37
Reyes definitely pronounced it "Lera" once...it was not cool.

Lol I caught that. I thought it was funny. Better Lera than Laura. I've never had a problem with pronouncing her name correctly, I don't get why so many other people do though.

SamxLara
13th Jul 2013, 18:07
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been lurking for awhile so this is my first post.
I do get annoyed when people mispronounce her name, but mostly when it is the series biggest fans.

Valenka
13th Jul 2013, 22:04
but mostly when it is the series biggest fans.

I get annoyed when the bloody developers mispronounce it.

Cristiavano
13th Jul 2013, 22:30
Leera Croft is really cool!
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/Demonic_Angel_06/deadpool.gif

DrCroft
13th Jul 2013, 23:23
^best gif I've seen for a while!

AdobeArtist
13th Jul 2013, 23:44
I think her name from now on is Laralicious :D :p

DrCroft
13th Jul 2013, 23:56
Do you remember that song fergalicious by Fergie? Yeah I'm now thinking of that with what you have just said AA :p

Driber
14th Jul 2013, 09:16
Lol I caught that. I thought it was funny. Better Lera than Laura. I've never had a problem with pronouncing her name correctly, I don't get why so many other people do though.

I guess because "Laura" is predominant in America and most other countries.

I think her name from now on is Laralicious :D :p

Oeeee, tombalicious!

blackrook
14th Jul 2013, 16:37
I honestly don't care much.

_Ninja_
14th Jul 2013, 19:56
Lara. Where I come from we have that name too so I have no problem pronouncing. It kind of baffles me how someone would read not what is written say "Laura".

AdobeArtist
14th Jul 2013, 20:26
Lara. Where I come from we have that name too so I have no problem pronouncing. It kind of baffles me how someone would read not what is written say "Laura".

You'd think the absence of the "u" would be a big enough hint, huh? ;) :p

Rai
14th Jul 2013, 21:48

You'd think the absence of the "u" would be a big enough hint, huh? ;) :p

You would wouldn't you? :p I mean at times the mispronunciation is an accent thing and can't be helped. Like Reyes' Lera, I do think it was just a slip of the tongue. It doesn't bother me too much though. I pronounce it Lar as in Larson and ruh as in Rug (silent h, just the same sound). Lar-ruh

TombRaiding
15th Jul 2013, 21:50
I guess because "Laura" is predominant in America and most other countries.

Ehh, that's not an excuse. They're Two very different names. I've known quite a few Lara's.

Stellalune
15th Jul 2013, 23:41
It doesn't bother me in most contexts. TBH, I've come to expect mispronunciation. But I find it odd when people who claim to be fans of the series mispronounce "Lara." I mean, it's said repeatedly in the games by many different characters. Is it really that difficult?

Driber
16th Jul 2013, 10:03
Ehh, that's not an excuse. They're Two very different names.

I offered an explanation, not an excuse :)

I've known quite a few Lara's.

Where are you from?

TombRaiding
16th Jul 2013, 17:54
Where are you from?

I'm from Colorado. :p I went to school with a Lara, and I think she was Brazilian ^_^

parrys
22nd Jul 2013, 17:41
I mean, it's said repeatedly in the games by many different characters. Is it really that difficult?

I've played the game a few times and carefully listened to every time Lara's name was mentioned by other characters in the game and from Roth (who has a very thick British accent) to Grim (who sounds Irish) to Jonah (who has a Hawaiian accent) they all say Lara as in pronouncing it as (Laura)... Sam, Whitman, Alex and even Mathias pronounce Lara as (Laura). I think I only recall it being pronounced as Lara rhyming with (Sara) once or twice, it was either by Reyes on shipwreck beach or by Roth on the Endurance when Lara first watches Sam's footage on her camcorder. Even Lara herself pronounces her own name as (Laura) when she's transmitting the radio signal from the tower! LOL
Seriously people it is what it is... Lara (rhyming with Sara) or Lara (sounding like Laura) it is on how you simply want to pronounce it. You want to make her sound special then stick to Lara (rhyming with Sara) but in my personal opinion it's Lara sounding like (Laura) cause that's how I've always pronounced and always have heard it being pronounced.
Tomato tomato, Potato, potato. :P

The_Hylden
22nd Jul 2013, 17:50
They were pronouncing it, including Lara herself, "Lah-rah." As in Deck the halls, fa, la, la, la, la. Not Laura. It shouldn't rhyme with Sara, or Sarah (pronounced Saarah, long "a" sound).

This is also the ultimate pedantic thread :p

parrys
22nd Jul 2013, 18:26
They were pronouncing it, including Lara herself, "Lah-rah."

This is how I hear it, "Lore-rah"
maybe I need to get my hearing checked or maybe
it's simply how I'm convinced to expect to hear it... LOL
Idk but that's how I hear it.

Rai
22nd Jul 2013, 18:32
I've played the game a few times and carefully listened to every time Lara's name was mentioned by other characters in the game and from Roth (who has a very thick British accent) to Grim (who sounds Irish) to Jonah (who has a Hawaiian accent) they all say Lara as in pronouncing it as (Laura)... Sam, Whitman, Alex and even Mathias pronounce Lara as (Laura). I think I only recall it being pronounced as Lara rhyming with (Sara) once or twice, it was either by Reyes on shipwreck beach or by Roth on the Endurance when Lara first watches Sam's footage on her camcorder. Even Lara herself pronounces her own name as (Laura) when she's transmitting the radio signal from the tower! LOL
Seriously people it is what it is... Lara (rhyming with Sara) or Lara (sounding like Laura) it is on how you simply want to pronounce it. You want to make her sound special then stick to Lara (rhyming with Sara) but in my personal opinion it's Lara sounding like (Laura) cause that's how I've always pronounced and always have heard it being pronounced.
Tomato tomato, Potato, potato. :P

I never once heard Lara herself mispronounce her own name as Laura (lore-ra or law-rah), only Lara (rhymed with Sara), and only a couple of times did the other characters pronounce it differently (I think Reyes says Leera and Sam says Laura). Sure, at times a person's accent causes them to say different sounds. Plus, if a player is familiar with past games, then they'd have heard her name being pronounced (Lar-rah) too, multiple times.

They were pronouncing it, including Lara herself, "Lah-rah." As in Deck the halls, fa, la, la, la, la. Not Laura. It shouldn't rhyme with Sara, or Sarah (pronounced Saarah, long "a" sound).

This is also the ultimate pedantic thread :p

Shouldn't? But it does rhyme with Sara (Sar-ra), that's it exactly. But not Sarah (Ser-rah).

Driber
22nd Jul 2013, 19:08
They were pronouncing it, including Lara herself, "Lah-rah." As in Deck the halls, fa, la, la, la, la. Not Laura.

Yep, that's how I heard it, too :)

Shouldn't? But it does rhyme with Sara (Sar-ra), that's it exactly. But not Sarah (Ser-rah).

Was thinking the exact same when reading TH's post, heh.

Daftvirgin
22nd Jul 2013, 19:16
I love how it's pronounced in french it causes no confusion about how it should be pronounced (because of the way how french pronunciation works)

parrys
22nd Jul 2013, 19:25
Okay, Here's an example... are these parents who named their beautiful baby girl Lara, are they pronouncing it right? Cause the way they are saying it is exactly how I say it LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff_0hiueF1s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Rai
22nd Jul 2013, 19:33
Yes! That's is the correct way Lah-rah for Lara. :D

That baby is a cutie.

parrys
22nd Jul 2013, 19:39
I never once heard Lara herself mispronounce her own name as Laura (lore-ra or law-rah), only Lara (rhymed with Sara)

Really? Watch this video then, at 5 mins and 18 seconds how are you hearing her pronounce her name?
I don't hear her saying it as Lara rhyming with Sara...
I clearly hear her saying it as Lara sounding like Laura (Lore-rah)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGoFFGbKYsM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Driber
22nd Jul 2013, 19:41
R4yU1IXodzU&start=121

The ultimate correct way of saying it that ends all discussion on how it should be pronounced, heh :D

Really? Watch this video then, at 5 mins and 18 seconds how are you hearing her pronounce her name?
I don't hear her saying it as Lara rhyming with Sara...
I clearly hear her saying it as Lara sounding like Laura (Lore-rah)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGoFFGbKYsM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I hear LAH-RAH, not LOH-RAH.

Rai
22nd Jul 2013, 19:59
^Yeah, that! :D

And Jacqueline Natla has spoken [/confusion] :p

All this fuss over a four letter name. Imagine if her name was longer! :lol:

parrys
22nd Jul 2013, 21:03

LMAO RIGHT!?! :lol:
I know like Genevieve or Evangelina Croft... that would be nuts! LOL

AdobeArtist
22nd Jul 2013, 21:36
LMAO RIGHT!?! :lol:
I know like Genevieve or Evangelina Croft... that would be nuts! LOL

This thread would be 47 pages... at least :nut: :lol:

Lord Martok
22nd Jul 2013, 23:16
Hey, at least her name is not "Le-a".

The_Hylden
22nd Jul 2013, 23:54

That's what I meant.

Driber
23rd Jul 2013, 14:18
^Yeah, that! :D

And Jacqueline Natla has spoken [/confusion] :p

Heh. Next up on the agenda - how to pronounce "Laralifragilisticexpialidocious".