PDA

View Full Version : The Future Of Tomb Raider

RoombelinaUK
17th Dec 2010, 23:28
The reboot looks amazing from what I've seen and read so far. The new "survival" concept is very interesting, the visuals look superbly realistic, the animations will be organic and believable from what I've read, and Lara herself will have a lot more depth and character. Sooner or later, the game will be in our hands and we'll play and probably enjoy it, but what about after TOMB RAIDER? Will CD go back to the future(LOL), get rid of the survival elements, and bring back what once was, will the successive TR pick up from after the Lara escapes the island and basically reset the Tomb Raider timeline, or will TOMB RAIDER be the last in the franchise? How do you think Lara's future will unfold?
P.S. I'm surprised no one thought about this before and posted a thread.:eek::eek:

Madubu
18th Dec 2010, 06:21
Well... a reboot means a fresh, new start so from now on TR might never be the same (boohoo).
Im not very optimistic about this im afraid, this survival raider could join the list of rebooted franchises that failed, like prince of persia 08, splinter cell conviction, etc..
What i've read about this sounds so diferent that calling it TR seems misleading to say the least.

I dont believe this franchise needs such a radical change, if they have the means to create larger worlds (open), improve the gameplay, graphics, etc they should use those to improve the TR formula, not make something else and call it TR...

Ants_27_
18th Dec 2010, 08:48
It's possible that if this game doesn't do to well financially then it could be indeed the final one. This is why releasing it for Christmas next year is a bad idea. If I do buy a new console (not really missed having no console) then come this time next year there'll be Elder Scrolls 5, Uncharted 3 and maybe even the new metal Gear game.

So for me Tomb Raider won't be a purchase, definitely not day one at least as I'm only buying one game. So releasing it then wouldn't be the greatest idea, epically since it hasn't really been trailed and tested formula for a TR game.

But in terms of yet another game then I don't know. How many times can she survive a crash? I think it'd be an extremely bad move to go in this direction then bring out a sequel that goes back to what TR was with games like underworld.:)

I know, I know. It might sound like I'm being horrible to the TR franchise from recent posts but I don't mean for it to be read like that. It's just I believe if they have set up this direction then that's it, they can't keep jumping between 'types' of TR games. Make sense?

Jurre
18th Dec 2010, 09:00
I wonder if she will forever be carrying the scars and mutilations from all the injuries she sustained on Skull Island. Like the spike through her waist that we're being told about...

BraveNewGuy
18th Dec 2010, 12:28
A reboot means a fresh start ! and I think CD is going to have success with the new TR, and this "survival" concept is very cool but its not new at all Lara always tries to survive all the time but in this franchise she is doing it in a different way ,also I don't think they will continue with it because its just a start I mean after this game I'm sure we will see Lara heading back to her croft manor and start her journeys with tomb raiding and starts to explore caves ...etc

People is getting the idea of the new TR wrong its just a start to shows us a new Lara and a different kind of tomb raiding but in the same formula ;)

Kirsten-Marie
18th Dec 2010, 12:47
A reboot means a fresh start ! and I think CD is going to have success with the new TR, and this "survival" concept is very cool but its not new at all Lara always tries to survive all the time but in this franchise she is doing it in a different way ,also I don't think they will continue with it because its just a start I mean after this game I'm sure we will see Lara heading back to her croft manor and start her journeys with tomb raiding and starts to explore caves ...etc

People is getting the idea of the new TR wrong its just a start to shows us a new Lara and a different kind of tomb raiding but in the same formula ;)

I second that. :)

Madubu
18th Dec 2010, 22:46
A system of "base camps" allow players to fast travel among various points on the island. Base camps also allow players to examine and combine inventory items and access a skill system to enhance Lara's abilities.

I think CD should go back to the drawing board with this, or maybe they should call it.. "LOST Lara" instead of TR. This reboot sounds like a colection of ideas taken from other games..

tombraidergal
18th Dec 2010, 22:58
I believe this game will have potential. Until i play it, i will neither diss it nor love it. But i do like the idea of the whole open world and complete change with the survival and everything. I can't hate it unless i see footage. even then, i won't spoil myself anymore... just a glimpse or something, looking at every single clip and reading all about TR:U was a big mistake for me. it ruined the whole experience.
To be honest, i think the biggest mistake they've made yet is telling us about the TR. It'd have been better if they told us next summer when they had either plenty or not much to release, as it would only be about 7 months+ until the game would come out. Kind of like with Assassins creed.
This game should be kept shushed for a while now in my opinion. No news is good news.

mushroom079
19th Dec 2010, 02:02
I think that to play homage to the original - after the "reboot", to continue the classic lara - the TR2 and successive sequels should be re-released along side the current series.

I think it's a good way to please everyone.

I loved ANNIVERSARY.

gunshitknife
21st Dec 2010, 09:12
I wonder what'd be like doing all the things Lara does...but all in real life.

I can imagine that 98% of us would never dare to go by ourselves to places she explores and expose ourselves to the dangers she exposes herself to....much less be capable to do the acrobatic things she does. So, if Tomb Raider is trying to actually take us into the real Tomb Raider world and really show us from a more subjective, introspective perspective of the world of Tomb Raider as it is....then, ALL THE KUDOS! That's what I've been wishing to see....Although, I don't like her looks anymore...lol She looks average now and just not Lara Croft anymore.....and I don't like all the vulnerability idea. But I like the idea of making the game more realistic and hardcore...and dark...That's awesome. We've been presented Tomb Raider thus far as third person, only saw the beauty of it, but showing us the sinister, raw, horror side of it, as it really would be like in reality, is avery good idea. So, I assume that they just wanted to make Tomb Raider run from a different perspective, which is good, actually. Hmmm...I don't know why I freaked out about it...lol I think what they're doing is a good move. I just don't like how they made her look...and all the vulnerability idea. I want her with a braid, with her M lips, her figure, her 5'9'' height and TOUGH.lol

Red Meat
21st Dec 2010, 19:38
What i want to ask is, of those people who have read the article about the beginning of the game, what did you think of it..?

IMO while it does sound more gory than previous games the bit about getting past the explosive barrels and then avoiding falling boulders does sound very "Tomb Raiderish" with just abit more emphisis put on ingenuity/resoursefulness than previously.

I don't think this game will be as much of a departure from the current games as some people are suggesting, but what do you guys think..?

a_big_house
21st Dec 2010, 19:51
TBH i think this game will work but any Tomb Raider that follows in this games exact footsteps will plumet my reason is, they cant just keep dropping her onto non-existant islands for her to find her way off, theyre going to have to slide back intop linear gameplay at somepoint, its what Tomb Raider is :-s

Flintmelody
10th Jan 2011, 03:12
I hope they continue to expand the M-rating violence, tension and exploration this game back up to the normal Lara again. I would definately want the classic Lara back (eg TRL/TRA with her usual body shape and weaponary. Throw in the depth of story we have here and think TR would be back on track.

Rios
10th Jan 2011, 04:06
Definitely looking forward to this new imagining, so to speak, of Tomb Raider. I remember playing the first game, how ground breaking it was, at the time, I fell out of touch with the series not long after but I am really curious to see how this new game comes along.

Silvermoth
12th Jan 2011, 10:24
I would say the game has definite sequel potential.

otis0310
12th Jan 2011, 11:20
I came into the franchise with Underworld and I loved it. Shortly after I bought all the rest of the games, including 1-6. My understanding was that Legend rebooted the franchise and although I have not played all of the games yet, I think that was overstating it. Legend more accurately explored Lara's past which was not done in detail before, but didn't rewrite anything significant about Lara'a history. Other than the obvious discrepancy with the parents the other games could well have taken place between Lara's childhood plane crash and the events in Legend.

I for one am against reboots in general, so many games, movies and other things have been ruined by trying to reboot or rework the franchise too much. I can think of several off the top of my head, as could so many other people here.

I state the Legend game mostly as an example. They say it is a reboot. Is it really? Or just an unknown chapter in her history. I don't know, I say it depends on how much they reworked her past to fit the game.

If they did not rework much of her past then Tomb Raider 10 could do with the great villainness Jacqueline Natla shortly after Tomb Raider 8. Then this game would just be viewed as a "Prequel" rather than a reboot. Which means Tomb Raider 1-8 sill happened, but after these events.

I think this question will only be answered in time when the game comes out. Personally I hope for more of a prequel. There is too much potential in the current franchise, with characters like Natla or Amanda Evert to discard them. On the other hand, it is also easy to insert a game as a prequel or another unknown chapter as well.

screenX_TRS
13th Jan 2011, 10:33
I think that to play homage to the original - after the "reboot", to continue the classic lara - the TR2 and successive sequels should be re-released along side the current series.

I think it's a good way to please everyone.

I loved ANNIVERSARY.

The Anniversary was excelent for me, they should also make a remake of Tomb Raider - The last Revelation, that would be great!

beretta
26th Jan 2011, 21:08
The future will be promising :thumb:

Elliot Kane
26th Jan 2011, 22:04
I think it's far too soon to judge what is next, honestly.

All we've seen so far is concept art. Granted it looks awesome, but we've yet to see so much as a single small clip from the game itself, so we can't truly judge it graphically, yet. We have no idea of the gameplay or the gameplay mechanics. No idea of whether a 'more human' Lara will appeal to the fans, or whether all of this will serve to bring new fans into the franchise.

If all goes well, the majority of fans love it and a ton of new fans come on board, I would expect the franchise to continue in fairly similar vein. If the new game goes down like a lead balloon, not so much.

So making any predictions at this point would seem a trifle premature, IMO.

larafan25
27th Jan 2011, 01:52
It would be lame to go through all this intense work for a reboot of the entire Franchise/ Tomb Raider brand and then just end it, it would also be worse to revert back for no reason.

It seems that CD are being extremely careful with this one. It's like they are creating life.

We have seen how life naturally and randomly unfolds, then we try to mimic it, we have seen Tomb Raider's birth and success, now CD have the task of trying to re-create it with a modern spin and market it to a current audience.

After Tomb Raider Lara will go on another adventure. It will be grounded in reality, Lara will use a normal means of getting to the tombs and historically significant sites she needs to visit to learn more about the myths and possible artifact she is trying to hunt down.

I think the entire series is just going to be more real, survival, and grounded in reality while keeping the fantastic mysterious that unfold as we get closer and closer to the truth about the possibly mythical item we are searching for.

Error96_
27th Jan 2011, 18:19
The change may be good for one game. I hope they take some of the better gameplay elements they discover and incorporate them to the world set up by the 9 other TR games. To put her on another island to survive would be silly. I don't like seeing Lara weakened, and looking a mess all the time.

Things like the more gory violence, more scary themes and open world I think will definately stay. Think Natla and the mother theme won't return. I have my fingers so tightly crossed that the non-traditional LC model isn't extrapolated any further. The big risk is that too much modifying of Lara's history or looks ends us up with multiple incompatable past stories and where games are made with contexts so bold that Lara is compromised and lost in the vision.

I think what they're doing is a good move. I just don't like how they made her look...and all the vulnerability idea. I want her with a braid, with her M lips, her figure, her 5'9'' height and TOUGH.lol

That is very similar to how I feel about the new TR game and Lara.

Cheese is nice.
28th Jan 2011, 08:46
[QUOTE=Error96;1559112]The change may be good for one game. I hope they take some of the better gameplay elements they discover and incorporate them to the world set up by the 9 other TR games. To put her on another island to survive would be silly. I don't like seeing Lara weakened, and looking a mess all the time.

Things like the more gory violence, more scary themes and open world I think will definately stay. Think Natla and the mother theme won't return. I have my fingers so tightly crossed that the non-traditional LC model isn't extrapolated any further. The big risk is that too much modifying of Lara's history or looks ends us up with multiple incompatable past stories and where games are made with contexts so bold that Lara is compromised and lost in the vision.QUOTE]

This is exactly how I feel. I dislike the look and feel of Lara being " vunerable" and I dislike this whole survivor type of thing. I also dislike the fact that while Lara is indeed an aristocrat, they never show it except for an occasional mansion here and there, which they seemed to have cut out completely. She should characterize her wealth once in a while. Another thing that I hate is the whole being all alone. I miss the Legend way of doing things, the dialogue moved the story along and the humor was fun. I'm sick of dark dark dark then MOTHER then intense face. But you know what I hate most of all? How they feel they need to revise the story every stinking game. PLEASE. PICK A STORY AND STICK WITH IT. Sorry for that little rant. I'm good now.
:whistle:

Ants_27_
28th Jan 2011, 17:26
In one respect I do totally agree that having someone tread through level after level with the exception on a brief dialogue with ones self really needs to change. I was always told that dialogue is needed in every story, a film for example is dominated by dialogue and also books are becoming even more dialogue driven than they were in the past and you can't get character across accurately and entertainingly without dialogue exchange between different characters.

So in respect to Cheese is nice I would like better dialogue that isn't as wooden as the past games.:)

Cheese is nice.
29th Jan 2011, 04:29
In one respect I do totally agree that having someone tread through level after level with the exception on a brief dialogue with ones self really needs to change. I was always told that dialogue is needed in every story, a film for example is dominated by dialogue and also books are becoming even more dialogue driven than they were in the past and you can't get character across accurately and entertainingly without dialogue exchange between different characters.

So in respect to Cheese is nice I would like better dialogue that isn't as wooden as the past games.:)

Thank you kind sir. I mean I get the whole " Lara is a mystery" kind of thing but I want to feel like I somewhat know her. It simply isn't possible without the dialouge. It has to get better. It MUST. However, what I want to know is if there is anyone to have dialogue with in this game besides that Flicka of a horse that we'll be riding. I would assume that this game takes place before Zip and all that so there really isn't anyone to talk to. Goody. :mad2: In the words of the immortal Plankton,
"Well this stinks." :hmm:

sundog
29th Jan 2011, 16:32
One thing that really makes a game unforgetable and affects it in the atmosphere is the music.
Natha McCree composed the soundtrack for TR1,2 and 3.
These were the best TR games wich always are gonna stay in our memory.
I think it would be the best choice to commission Nathan McCree again to compose the soundtrack for the next TR games.

Cheese is nice.
30th Jan 2011, 05:58
One thing that really makes a game unforgetable and affects it in the atmosphere is the music.
Natha McCree composed the soundtrack for TR1,2 and 3.
These were the best TR games wich always are gonna stay in our memory.
I think it would be the best choice to commission Nathan McCree again to compose the soundtrack for the next TR games.

I actually rather enjoyed the Legend soundtrack the most. I really disliked Underworlds track.

Ants_27_
30th Jan 2011, 11:32
I actually rather enjoyed the Legend soundtrack the most. I really disliked Underworlds track.

On the subject of soundtracks and the 'future of TR' then I think if TR gained a similar soundtrack to the master piece that is silent hill then I think the game would gain quite a higher place in my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MugPmly8-uk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFyeQI1idwM

Come on! How is that not cool... the Japanese lot know how to evoke atmosphere the best unlike dead space which in terms of horror wasn't too scary... maybe I'm just hard to scare?:D

mr croft lopez
8th Feb 2011, 15:01
long live lara and i'm a happy guy :)