PDA

View Full Version : New Bio, how does it stack up?

naraku
16th Dec 2010, 07:49
New Bio
Her passion for antiquity was inescapable. Lara Croft was groomed from a young age to look to the past before the present, forgoing traditional holiday gatherings in favor of family excursions to archeological digs. This methodical upbringing had its intended effect on the young Croft, instilling a love of the unknown that drives her to uncover rational explanations for the most heavily ensconced mysteries.
While Lara's affinity for the ancient is effortless, she often finds herself struggling to carve an identity of her own from under her parents' influential shadow. She comes from money, but refuses to flaunt it. Her name garners respect, but she craves to earn it. She dreams of proving herself, but wants to pursue her passion on her own terms. To that end, she unexpectedly turned down an open invitation to Cambridge and enrolled at a lesser-known university to immerse herself in real-world experiences. This time was crucial in molding Lara into a practical and levelheaded young woman, grounded in a way that her parents' itinerary would have never allowed.
Now 21 and fresh from academy, Lara is eager to prove herself to the world- and perhaps to her parents. This drive places Lara aboard the salvage vessel Endurance with Captain Conrad Roth, an ex-Royal Marine commando known for his willingness to bend (or break) the law to secure a prize. Together, the crew sets off on a voyage to search for lost relics off the coast of Japan. This first adventure was intended to be a definitive moment in a young and inexperienced Lara's career, a chance to change history with a discovery of significance.
Before they reach the isle, the expedition is derailed by a massive storm that cleaves the Endurance in two, leaving an unprepared Croft lost in a sea of blackness. Instead of finding respect and renown, Lara will be pushed to the limits of human fortitude. A very mortal Croft must endure both physical and emotional trauma to survive. -source- GameInformer.

So do the CD devs deserve a VGA nomination for best storyline for a reboot or worst?

Again it's completely different than CD's Legend-Underworld Bio, yet feels oddly familiar. More akin to Core's bio...

Jurre
16th Dec 2010, 10:09
Apparently they'll think of Legend, Anniversary and Underworld as non-canon from now. But whether they'll be loyal to this bio after the first game remains to be seen...

BraveNewGuy
16th Dec 2010, 13:32
I really liked the new Bio, it fives Lara a more edgy personality and more mature to the TR franchise. cant wait to play this game :)

RainaAudron
16th Dec 2010, 16:41
I really do not understand why they could not add this newest adventure at the unknown island to her current curriculum but instead, they had thrown their own previous story into the trashbin...

dark7angel
16th Dec 2010, 16:53
I agree it feels familiar and really close to Core's bio!!! I like it!!!

tombraidergal
16th Dec 2010, 18:47
good. loads of grammar issues.

HOWEVER. I'M NOT A FAN OF THIS.

Danielsun_
16th Dec 2010, 19:55
where did you get this from? link?

Reidbynature
16th Dec 2010, 20:13
Seems fine enough. Not a world apart from what has come before and is more detailed than previous versions I beileve. Though we'll know how good it is when we see the story played out.

Pulse
16th Dec 2010, 22:29
I'd love to see her interact with her family in a sequel if they are alive again.

Madubu
17th Dec 2010, 02:34

Miss Croft lives in a big olle mansion with an old buttler called Winston, every once in a while she goes on a journey and ends up saving the world.. or something?

That is all, how about less Laralala and more actual raiding for once? The last entries in the series felt like a 3rd rate, interactive soap opera, with really short episodes too!

Cut the cheese and let us have the cream!

Elliot Kane
17th Jan 2011, 15:50
I think the writers fail to understand that people from all walks of life go to Cambridge, so Lara's stated reasons for not going there make no sense. Other than that, I like it :)

Ants_27_
17th Jan 2011, 15:57
I'd love to see her interact with her family in a sequel if they are alive again.

Would be a tiny bit awkward from my point of view. I love my writing and always understanhd characters are one of the most important aspects of a story and of course you can't have a acharacter with contreadicitng backstories from one to the next.

So seeing the death of family memebers only to suddenly be back again seems a bit odd. :scratch:;)

Not saying it's a bad thing though cause I suppose you have to live with it and it could provide some good interaction just like Underworld had the possibilty (in terms of story).

Kami
17th Jan 2011, 17:43
It still misses Lara's essense. She doesnt do things to find her parents. She doesnt do it to PLEASE them either.

FOr me Lara does everything despite her parents. Because she wants to. Because this is when she feels alive.

Silvermoth
17th Jan 2011, 17:47
Sounds pretty cool to me! I wonder if Conrad Roth will be Lara's nemesis in the game?

_Love2Raid_
18th Jan 2011, 00:37
where did you get this from? link?
It's from the article in the Game Informer magazine. It's a US exclusive magazine, but there are scans all over teh internetz. Well worth the read. ;)

I am not unhappy with this new bio, because it is much closer to the original bio than the Legend one ever was (parents are still alive, survival adventure in her early 20s, plane -> ship) and what exactly was so great that they had to keep it? They already ditched all of her adventures except for the Scion one. This means: no more Natla, no more Amanda, no more Zip and no more Alister (they could bring him back as a Thrall, you never know...). We can be certain her Thrall-mother won't haunt her at night. And also no more characters from the CORE days, like Kurtis Trent. I don't know about you, but this sounds like music to my ears! :D

NX-01
18th Jan 2011, 02:36
i dunno , i really like the last 3 games , its slightly anoying when you have to keep adjusting the the new history every few games but it looks so good

TombRaiderChick93
18th Jan 2011, 03:27
... its slightly anoying when you have to keep adjusting the the new history every few games but it looks so good

i agree, but i think their aim for this one is for it to be the FINAL reboot. just so they can sort of throw her into the next generation and take it from there. Although I LOVE old school Lara I'm kind of curious as to what they have up their sleeves for this new, more realistic Lara. :)

Error96_
18th Jan 2011, 15:40
The new Bio fits closer to Core's Lara so therefore I think it is great. I would rather they just stick with a backstory compatable with the classic Lara rather than keep rewriting.

naraku
21st Jan 2011, 10:11
It still misses Lara's essense. She doesnt do things to find her parents. She doesnt do it to PLEASE them either.

FOr me Lara does everything despite her parents. Because she wants to. Because this is when she feels alive.

Good point, it still lacks a little something. That rebellious Lara we all fell in love with, there's barely any trace of her here. However this bio is a fresh start, meaning it still could be in her future which is a positive note.

Natla
21st Jan 2011, 17:38
It sounds a bit like the type of sanitized statements that lawyers make about their client's "previous good character" to try and get a lower sentence.

JadenXI
22nd Jan 2011, 01:44
On one hand, I don't give a crap what her bio is as long as it's a good game....on the other hand, I don't think any other company has ever had the guts to RE-RE-invent their character.

It's nice to care about the lead character, hard to when she has extreme multiple personality disorder.

I don't even understand why they felt the need to re-write her?? Just make this game happen before Anniversary in the timeline, it wouldn't be hard and they could practically make the same game.

*face palms*

They should of just had it been about Lara Croft's long lost sister Lisa Croft, because re-inventing your character when her bio is fine is weird. I don't know about everyone else, but I loved the Lara Croft in Anniversary/Legend/Undeworld.

Crystal Dynamics are geniuses though, so when something fishy like this happens, I blame Square-Enix. <_<

John Carter
23rd Jan 2011, 13:20
As an abstract of a biography goes, that one's pretty good. It sets the scene for lots of possibilities without blocking any given storyline paths. It's less detailed than previous ones, hence it also appears to be more realistic. As I look back on original Lara's detailed bio, that was fun, but it was more of a caricature, a tongue-in-cheek comic for something its creators could hardly imagine would be come "canon" historical data for tens of thousands of fans who would argue over what each little flippant detail might mean in terms of their virtual heroine's psychological makeup and how each fan wanted to see her personality.

I like this one since it lacks the puerile "I hate Mommy and Daddy" overtones of the TR 1-5 Lara, and avoids the confused non-bio of the obviously different but not-quite entirely separate Lara Legend-Underworld.

For a new generation of fans who haven't made their acquaintance of Lara yet, this sounds quite promising. As with all character "rebirths" for old fans, there is always the risk that by version 3 (or 5 or 2 or however one interprets it) of a once-beloved character, people will start to not care. In the comic book world they get around this by having "Earth 2s" and alternate timelines and alternate universes, so everybody gets the Superman or Batman that they want. You can't really do this in video games (oh, how I hate the term, having met Lara on the PC back in '97), since it is too costly for the amount of interest in buying the product. I suppose it might be feasible to run "download Lara Croft" games like Guardian at the same time the fewer larger and less frequent TR prime games are released to get this sort of effect, but I don't know the economics of gaming well enough to say.

Kami
23rd Jan 2011, 14:57
Good point, it still lacks a little something. That rebellious Lara we all fell in love with, there's barely any trace of her here. However this bio is a fresh start, meaning it still could be in her future which is a positive note.

:thumb:

The_Hylden
23rd Jan 2011, 17:22

Because this is the Lara you've come to understand, a Lara who is much older and already has learned to be this way. That's the whole point of this: having a much younger, much more vulnerable and unsure Lara. There has to be a point in her life when she wasn't so self-assured, so uncaring of what her parents and anyone else thought. I am sure along this new journey she'll learn to be this way, but it'll take time and a lot of trials to her being to get there.

Couldn't help laugh at this, though:

Before them reach the isle, the expedition is derailed by a massive storm that cleaves the Endurance in two, leaving an unprepared Croft lost in a sea of blackness.

lol, hopefully someone fixes this. Typos like this should never make it out, really.

tombraider1best
23rd Jan 2011, 19:10
I Cant remeber the bio from the first TR was it something to do with her dad? o.O
and isn't the new tomb raider supposed to be set before TR1 ? So we will obviosly get to defeat big foot xD Lmao

Fickji
25th Jan 2011, 05:23
I don't remember any reference to parents, plane crashes, or bios in the first few games. OHHH You must be referering to the manual. No one reads the manual. At least I don't. So, in my own little fantasy world of tomb raider this bio sounds Good To Me.

I like the core-tone bio better. She's not as cut-throut vicious as the core games, not as hard "I had a direct cause in my mother's death and can't get over it" type of attitude in Legend/Underworld.

She can go back to being FUN.

I'm sure if batman/James bond/spiderman/superman don't work out someone will re-re-reboot them too. Makes you wonder if they can get the shoe impressions out of their pants.

Kami
25th Jan 2011, 19:03
Because this is the Lara you've come to understand, a Lara who is much older and already has learned to be this way. That's the whole point of this: having a much younger, much more vulnerable and unsure Lara. There has to be a point in her life when she wasn't so self-assured, so uncaring of what her parents and anyone else thought. I am sure along this new journey she'll learn to be this way, but it'll take time and a lot of trials to her being to get there.

Nope. Even when she was yong Lara just did things because she simply wanted to. At the age of 16 she just requested to go with Von Croy because it would be fun, not to proove herself worthier than her parents :rolleyes:
Why is Crystal trying to justify her every move so much? takes away so much from the character's essense

Cheese is nice.
26th Jan 2011, 07:16
I get so nausiated by this changing of backstories. Ahem. . .
IF YOU CAN SEE THIS, CRYSTAL DYNAMICS, STOP CHANGING THE STORY AND STICK WITH ONE ALREADY!!! YOU ARE DRIVING ME INSANE!!!

. . . There. I think I got my point across. As for the new and no doubt "improved" story as they will call it, yeah, sure its fine. However I do agree that they are losing the essence of Lara. AND WILL HER STUPID PARENTS FINALLY DECIDE TO DIE OR STAY ALIVE!!! Sheesh, I need an asprin. All this writing in caps is giving me a headache.:nut:

naraku
23rd Feb 2011, 06:11
I Cant remeber the bio from the first TR was it something to do with her dad? o.O
and isn't the new tomb raider supposed to be set before TR1 ? So we will obviosly get to defeat big foot xD LmaoUm... No that was the film, me thinks..:scratch:

I don't remember any reference to parents, plane crashes, or bios in the first few games. OHHH You must be referering to the manual. No one reads the manual. At least I don't. So, in my own little fantasy world of tomb raider this bio sounds Good To Me.

I like the core-tone bio better. She's not as cut-throut vicious as the core games, not as hard "I had a direct cause in my mother's death and can't get over it" type of attitude in Legend/Underworld.

She can go back to being FUN.

I'm sure if batman/James bond/spiderman/superman don't work out someone will re-re-reboot them too. Makes you wonder if they can get the shoe impressions out of their pants. I guess I'm the only one that reads those then:hmm: So does that mean that what everyone here considers Lara's Core bio is mostly from "Last Revelation" to "Angel of Darkness"??!!
And before that TR 2-3 were just random adventures???

BTW Superman is already on it's way to being re-re-rebooted as we speak. dun dun dun

dark7angel
23rd Feb 2011, 09:53
Um... No that was the film, me thinks..:scratch:

I guess I'm the only one that reads those then:hmm: So does that mean that what everyone here considers Lara's Core bio is mostly from "Last Revelation" to "Angel of Darkness"??!!
And before that TR 2-3 were just random adventures???

BTW Superman is already on it's way to being re-re-rebooted as we speak. dun dun dun

No, you're not the only one who reads those!!! :p

As for Superman, it's being directed by Zack Snyder and has Christopher Nolan in the production! I think this is going to be really GOOD!!!! And Henry Cavill as Superman!!!! Awesome!!!! :cool:

raz-
25th Mar 2011, 23:28
I dont really have a problem with the changing of the bio and having legend/tra/tru non canon, because if this new game is so 'new' and 'different' to the previous games then it wont be hard to have that mental seperation of the games. But at the same time it's a shame to think that none of it even happened and it's more of an alternate timeline instead of a previous adventure.

I just hope she doesnt turn in to a completely different person than what we all know and love. I also hope that they come up with something original in future games, because, lets be honest here, egyptian tombs and rainforest do get a little boring after a while.

Gemma_Darkmoon_
26th Mar 2011, 03:54
This bio seems back with more the classic Lara and fits the cannon better with minimisation of all the parents stuff. I think it sounds quite believable and for some reason makes me think of chronicles.

To me though the massive improvement is in Lara motivation. This one isn't about her parents, finding them, following their footsteps etc. That all got so silly when in TRA they kept trying to throw in references to Lara's father that didn't belong and had nothing to with the story. Though they don't say implicitly this looks like a move back to 'I only play for Sport' Lara where Lara is back doing adventures for herself. That is something that I really like.

import_craziej2k
27th Mar 2011, 10:33
The new bio seems ok, just not Lara-ish so to speak. After TR:U and the sort of closure se got at the end I hoped they would get back to doing what Lara used to do, ie. have NEW adventures insted of going back to past events. This just doesn't feel like the Lara which we've all grown to like and care about, the problem is once the bond between Lara, the player and what they've been through in previous games, is gone it looses alot of the appeal to many people. (myself included)

Jurre
27th Mar 2011, 12:45
I am just gonna say it: I think they should drop her aristocracy and richness...

Just think about it: has her being a countess or duchess or whatever ever been of great importance to her character? No, because feudal aristocracy is laughably irrelevant these days; I think it hangs on her personality like a dead goose. Even in tradition-loving Britain the real elite are the executives of giant corporations, ergo: if she were for instance the daughter of the boss of BP; that would be much more relevant and easier to identify with.

But when you think of it: being a rich man's daughter, being brought up in wealth and privilege already brings up a rather negative image (http://www.bartcop.com/paris-hilton-001.jpg). The new bio already says that even though she's rich she doesn't broadcast it, to assure us that she is not that (http://www.bartcop.com/paris-hilton-001.jpg).

Why not dropping it altogether? Let her be a common person that we can identify with. Or let it be set in the 19th century like I mentioned before; back then it was only the rich who could go on such adventures and feudal aristocracy was still relevant so that would be totaly believable.

import_craziej2k
27th Mar 2011, 16:30
I think the aristocracy background was used to make her stand out more as opposed to all the other lead characters who were supposed to be everyday run-of-the-mill people. Also the wealth helped explain how she had all the expensive gear that she used and wrecked/lost, as well as being able to go anywhere she wanted to more-or-less.

chriss_99
27th Mar 2011, 16:37
@Jurre: I totally disagree with that idea. I believe aristocracy is a crucial part of her personality and makes her stand out among other game characters + we have an opportunity to explore her manor, which is great ;).
I hope CD will focus more on the story, environment, puzzles and combat. Lara's perfect the way she is and her personality doesn't need a reboot.

Natla
27th Mar 2011, 16:44
But when you think of it: being a rich man's daughter, being brought up in wealth and privilege already brings up a rather negative image (http://www.bartcop.com/paris-hilton-001.jpg). The new bio already says that even though she's rich she doesn't broadcast it.

The original bio had Lara coming from a background of privilege but turning her back on it. However, the advantage of that was that she couldn't quite hide it and it made her sexier - posh girl gone bad. Hence we got hauteur and coldness combined with roughing it and getting down and dirty with hoodlums. I do know one thing - anyone who had the temerity to call Core's Lara "Lady Croft" to her face would at the very least have gotten a sarcastic put down, in my opinion. She was a misanthropic member of a jet-set made of the younger members of an aristocracy she affected to despise.

dark7angel
27th Mar 2011, 18:52
@Jurre: I totally disagree with that idea. I believe aristocracy is a crucial part of her personality and makes her stand out among other game characters + we have an opportunity to explore her manor, which is great ;).
I hope CD will focus more on the story, environment, puzzles and combat. Lara's perfect the way she is and her personality doesn't need a reboot.

I totally agree with you, Chirss! :thumb:

Jurre
27th Mar 2011, 22:08
+ we have an opportunity to explore her manor, which is great ;).
That's right, but it remains to be seen whether there will ever be another Croft Manor level.

But if they do put in such a seperate level, I was thinking it might as well be a museum with archeological stuff. Perhaps she needs to find something in the British Museum and has to solve puzzles and finds clues to get it. That might be great because it is an entire new area to explore. Its certanly great when at the same time the museum is overrun by zombies or chavs or whatever...

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
27th Mar 2011, 22:45
i personally LOVE this new story line.
thank God this new game will not be some long unending search for her parents!:gamer: