PDA

View Full Version : Why they always make sword games rpg .....

dentonjc
15th Dec 2010, 03:23
Always the same bulls$&;@&it I imagine a game like oblivion but in the cyberpunk age. something like deus ex style that will be a dream come true or a game like the longes journey but set in that city where the game is base of where you walk around do missions a clone of oblivion,deus ex , the longes journey ,fall out . But developers are stuck in medevil games come on dev!! open your mind !!!

K^2
15th Dec 2010, 03:40
Oblivion with guns... Ever played Fallout 3?

pringlepower
15th Dec 2010, 04:09
I think he's calling for Oblivion with steam.

dentonjc
15th Dec 2010, 04:11
But I am not talking about fall out setting where a bomb drop. I am talking about open ended but with a mix of open ended , deus ex , I want ciberpunk fallout deus ex setting not something apocalyptic.

K^2
15th Dec 2010, 04:34
I think you'll find that there are not all that many cyberpunk games and that there are not that many non-fantasy RPG games. Both types exist, but you take an intersection, and you are looking at a handful of fairly obscure games.

Brockxz
15th Dec 2010, 06:42
dentonjc, don 't know if you are into MMO but there is Neocron. Open ended and deus exish style - only it's mmo. Well there is not so many cyberpunk games at all. Most likely not the favorite sci-fi genre among developers.

mad825
15th Dec 2010, 06:54
have you trying playing any final Fantasy games?

JackShandy
15th Dec 2010, 08:42
Hm, open ended RPG set in a city...

Planescape: Torment?

Thasc
15th Dec 2010, 10:29
It seems like cyberpunk demands a city, and it also seems like crafting a Cyrodiil-sized city would be much, much more difficult than crafting a Cyrodiil-sized Cyrodiil (unless you're happy to have 0.2% of the buildings be enterable). Tricky thing to pull off. Maybe some generative algorithm could handle it, they're getting better at that sort of thing, but could still result in a thoroughly uninteresting-looking place.

VectorM
15th Dec 2010, 12:43
Are you 12? NOT a rhetorical question btw.

Deltaslayer
15th Dec 2010, 12:56
Are you 12? NOT a rhetorical question btw.

Are you a troll?

Donvermicelli
15th Dec 2010, 13:04
But I am not talking about fall out setting where a bomb drop. I am talking about open ended but with a mix of open ended , deus ex , I want ciberpunk fallout deus ex setting not something apocalyptic.

You want something that's cyberpunk, fallout and deusex that is NOT apocalyptic? imo you just posted a recipe for apocalypse.

VectorM
15th Dec 2010, 13:17
Are you a troll?

The OP sounds like he is 12 in that post. Seriously.

Crane
15th Dec 2010, 13:20
Play Shadowrun.

The SNES one, not the ****ty online-FPS one. Closest thing you'll get, I suspect.

Balmora
15th Dec 2010, 13:21
Anarchy Online is what you're looking for.

St. Mellow
15th Dec 2010, 15:53
The OP sounds like he is 12 in that post. Seriously.

No, he sounds as if he isn't writing on his native language. On the other hand, you do sound like a troll. All the time.

Pinky_Powers
15th Dec 2010, 16:07
dentonjc, the sad truth is, as a rule the Industry does not make complex games like Deus Ex. So looking for a transgenic hybrid of Oblivion and Cyberpunk is just not going to happen unless you make it yourself.

The closest thing you may ever see is Human Revolution. :)

Pretentious Old Man.
15th Dec 2010, 16:16
I'd like to extend that further: Why does no-one make proper medieval RPGs?

Darklands was the nearest (and even that had healthy doses of folklore) and that was made in 1993!! (and is incidentally still a far better game than Oblivion)

AlexOfSpades
15th Dec 2010, 16:19
Play Shadowrun.

The SNES one, not the ****ty online-FPS one. Closest thing you'll get, I suspect.

Hey chummer. Nice to meet another 'runner. Plenty of them here in the forums.

Also:

dentonjc, the sad truth is, as a rule the Industry does not make complex games like Deus Ex. So looking for a transgenic hybrid of Oblivion and Cyberpunk is just not going to happen unless you make it yourself.

Pinky is right. Unfortunately.

Also, if you ask a regular gamer "Dude do you like cyberpunk?"

he'll look at you like "zomg man whaddya talkin 'bout"

Its not a very popular concept, we have to admit.

;1542918']No, he sounds as if he isn't writing on his native language. On the other hand, you do sound like a troll. All the time.

All the time.

Really, Vector.

Brockxz
15th Dec 2010, 16:23
I'd like to extend that further: Why does no-one make proper medieval RPGs?

Darklands was the nearest (and even that had healthy doses of folklore) and that was made in 1993!! (and is incidentally still a far better game than Oblivion)

Mount and Blade? It's fresh and quite authentic medieval rpg.

nomotog
15th Dec 2010, 16:59

That's not very close though DX is not a open world game. He wants something like oblivion with cyberpunk. The problem is mostly that no one makes cyberpunk games at all.

Pinky_Powers
15th Dec 2010, 17:07
That's not very close though DX is not a open world game. He wants something like oblivion with cyberpunk. The problem is mostly that no one makes cyberpunk games at all.

I know what he asked for, and I gave him a grim response; "not going to happen unless you make it yourself."

If you have a closer suggestion, feel free to give it.

VectorM
15th Dec 2010, 17:51
;1542918']No, he sounds as if he isn't writing on his native language.

I am not writing in my native language either :rolleyes:

On the other hand, you do sound like a troll. All the time.

And what exactly does troll even mean these days? Because it seems to me every time you hear something that you disagree with, you call troll. You might as well start comparing me to Hitler next time, it would be just as valid :lol:

Pretentious Old Man.
15th Dec 2010, 18:14

It's set in a fictional universe, and is therefore fantasy. I'm talking about a real medieval RPG (Darklands was set in early renaissance Germany, if you're wondering)

Taleworlds is also Turkish, and that viewpoint puts a very, well, unique spin on the world. I like that a lot in M&B, don't misunderstand me, but it's not what I would want from a genuine middle-ages Europe RPG. (With an accurately modelled medieval economy, by the way. Medieval finance was so beautifully intricate, it's a travesty to see it devolved down into armorers and weapon sellers)

cartridge
15th Dec 2010, 18:22
The Elder Scrolls games are intended to be high fantasy, and the series has been around since like '93 or '94 (if I'm not mistaken). Probably before you were born.

There are also way too many games set in a post-apocalyptic future. I actually enjoyed Oblivion more than I did Fallout 3.

St. Mellow
15th Dec 2010, 18:24

Beat me to it. :D Although it's not a real-world setting, M&B is stripped of all supernatural elements. Give it a chance. Plus, it has a large mod collection.

I am not writing in my native language either :rolleyes:

Not everyone has the facility and/or means to achieve a determined proficiency level in anything, really. Or maybe he just hasn't got there yet. Practice makes perfect. Many here are not native speakers, myself included. But you didn't consider that possibility. You didn't even try to tackle the topic, offer constructive criticism, or maybe ask for clarification. You could have just kept silent. You just posted on his thread to insult and provoke. What do you call that?

And what exactly does troll even mean these days? Because it seems to me every time you hear something that you disagree with, you call troll. You might as well start comparing me to Hitler next time, it would be just as valid :lol:

Applying Godwin's law to yourself doesn't mean you don't lose. :rasp:

EDIT:
It's set in a fictional universe, and is therefore fantasy. I'm talking about a real medieval RPG (Darklands was set in early renaissance Germany, if you're wondering)

Sorry, just saw your post now. Can't think of anything else then. I'd love something of the sort as well. Alas, I guess that's that. :p

CoDEllite
15th Dec 2010, 18:28
What about Mass Effect. The most innovative new rpg that is not set in the lame swords and sorcery setting. But you probably already played the crap out of those games or otherwise you wouldn't be making this thread, right ;) ?

[FGS]Shadowrunner
15th Dec 2010, 18:59
Traveller > Dungeons and Dragons.

Thread locked.

Balmora
15th Dec 2010, 19:00

Taleworlds is also Turkish, and that viewpoint puts a very, well, unique spin on the world. I like that a lot in M&B, don't misunderstand me, but it's not what I would want from a genuine middle-ages Europe RPG. (With an accurately modelled medieval economy, by the way. Medieval finance was so beautifully intricate, it's a travesty to see it devolved down into armorers and weapon sellers)

Europe 1400 (The Guild) and The Guild II.

Most people haven't even heard about these two games. Deep RPG mixed with a bit of everything (Strategy, Simulation & Adventure)

VectorM
15th Dec 2010, 19:15
;1542986']Not everyone has the facility and/or means to achieve a determined proficiency level in anything, really. Or maybe he just hasn't got there yet. Practice makes perfect. Many here are not native speakers, myself included. But you didn't consider that possibility. You didn't even try to tackle the topic, offer constructive criticism, or maybe ask for clarification. You could have just kept silent. You just posted on his thread to insult and provoke. What do you call that?

Funny how you don't apply that type of thinking to CoDEllitE, nor do you ever complain when anyone says something like that towards him. :rolleyes: But hey, it's easy to go for console kids, right?

Brockxz
15th Dec 2010, 19:54
Europe 1400 (The Guild) and The Guild II.

Most people haven't even heard about these two games. Deep RPG mixed with a bit of everything (Strategy, Simulation & Adventure)

Those are strategy simulation games. There is almost no RPG element, it's more real life simulation. But yes, those two are good games.

Shralla
15th Dec 2010, 20:10
There are also way too many games set in a post-apocalyptic future.

Yeah, like Fallout. And...

?

ZippyDSMlee
15th Dec 2010, 20:23
Ok.... via my zippy to english translator I have managed to understand what he is saying.

Always the same bulls$&;@&it I imagine a game like oblivion but in the cyberpunk age. something like deus ex style that will be a dream come true or a game like the longes journey but set in that city where the game is base of where you walk around do missions a clone of oblivion,deus ex , the longes journey ,fall out . But developers are stuck in medevil games come on dev!! open your mind !!!

This poses a question, why are all sci fi games mostly action based and not RPG based.

I would not fit Fallout into the sci fi genre its more post modern fantasy than pure sci fi.

Mass effect and Dark sector are sci fi due to the involvement of alien or super sci fi tech or aliens period.

Dues ex could be seen as a post modern fantasy, as it has many many elements in it. But it like the matrix fits snugly in the sci fi realm.

ZippyDSMlee
15th Dec 2010, 20:29
Yeah, like Fallout. And...

?
Soylent Commando would be an futuristic apocalyptic setting, same as System shock 1-2

There are some post modern apocalyptic settings as well,

Resistance, Singularity , Bioshock,

Cryisis 2 will have an apocalyptic setting.

Bascily I think anything that has a setting that either society or setting has colasped into disrepair comes off apocalyptic like.

Balmora
15th Dec 2010, 20:38
Those are strategy simulation games. There is almost no RPG element, it's more real life simulation. But yes, those two are good games.

No RPG element? What about the Character Creation? What about the Skills and Attributes? What about the consequences of your actions?

You're role playing as someone living in the middle ages. This game surpasses most, if not all the role playing games on the market these days.

ZippyDSMlee
15th Dec 2010, 20:47
No RPG element? What about the Character Creation? What about the Skills and Attributes? What about the consequences of your actions?

You're role playing as someone living in the middle ages. This game surpasses most, if not all the role playing games on the market these days.

They/it are action RPG game's' IMO, to call them simulators is to deny how poorly balanced they are.

Morrowind,Dues ex,System shock 2 and even 2 worlds and BS in parts is better than oblivion...

Balmora
15th Dec 2010, 20:53
I'm talking about something different Zippy, I made a reply to Brock about Europe 1400 (The Guild) and The Guild II.

Brockxz
15th Dec 2010, 20:58

ok ok how about this: you choose your class, you choose your perks, you can advance your perks and you play as a soldier in Call of Duty multiplayer. Your action can bring consequences - your team wins or loses. :D Do yoo call it RPG? :lol:
OK i see what you want to say but in those 2 games all those elements contribute to life simulation not RPG. And i didn 't say there is 0 Role Play elements I said:

There is almost no RPG element, it's more real life simulation.

Balmora
15th Dec 2010, 21:06
ok ok how about this: you choose your class, you choose your perks, you can advance your perks and you play as a soldier in Call of Duty multiplayer. Your action can bring consequences - your team wins or loses. :D Do yoo call it RPG? :lol:

C'mon Brock, what kind of joke is that? Comparing Call of Duty to Europe? If you played Europe 1400 (The Guild) and The Guild II, you wouldn't say such thing. It's not even funny brother.

OK i see what you want to say but in those 2 games all those elements contribute to life simulation not RPG. And i didn 't say there is 0 Role Play elements I said:

Nope, I disagree Brock.

Brockxz
15th Dec 2010, 21:16
ok sorry for a bad joke :) All i want to say is that not always game that has any kind of character stats is actually RPG. Will give you one more awefull stats having, character creating game: Sims :lol: I bet we won 't call that game the RPG, agree? That game have stats, character creation and maybe even some more the so called role playing game defining elements but i don 't think anyone would call it RPG. For that there is genre Simulation :)
Also i tihnk it's hard to actually define genre in todays gaming industry because almost every game incorporates more than a couple some genre defining elements.

VectorM
15th Dec 2010, 21:37
Soylent Commando would be an futuristic apocalyptic setting, same as System shock 1-2

There are some post modern apocalyptic settings as well,

Resistance, Singularity , Bioshock,

Cryisis 2 will have an apocalyptic setting.

Bascily I think anything that has a setting that either society or setting has colasped into disrepair comes off apocalyptic like.

Also, all of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, Half-Life 2 and the Episodes, Metro 2033, there are some MMOs out there that are post apocalypic too.

Balmora
15th Dec 2010, 21:57
Also i tihnk it's hard to actually define genre in todays gaming industry because almost every game incorporates more than a couple some genre defining elements.

That's what makes this series so special, it has everything in it. And the role playing aspects are tremendous.

As for the Sims, most people describe the genre as "Virtual Life". But generally speaking, isn't a "Virtual Life" experience better than a simple "RPG" ?

Remember why Ultima Online got famous? Housing, Farming, Full Loot, Titles... That's pretty much a "Virtual Life", Brock.

Donvermicelli
16th Dec 2010, 07:59
Also, all of the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, Half-Life 2 and the Episodes, Metro 2033, there are some MMOs out there that are post apocalypic too.

Nobody mentioned Hellgate London, apocalypse mmo (EDIT: servers are down so the mmo part is gone but it's still rpg and can be played single player)

ZippyDSMlee
16th Dec 2010, 18:51
I'm talking about something different Zippy, I made a reply to Brock about Europe 1400 (The Guild) and The Guild II.

Ok then what? You are trying to separate a game/genre with little RPG elements and a more normal RPG game?

Dddduuuuuddddeeeee... its called action RPG......

H.D.Case
17th Dec 2010, 10:18
Sci-fi rpg? Anachronox, hello! The game has brilliant script, something very rare in games. There are two problems though - modified quake 2 graphics with its animation limitations (yet, after 5 minutes you don't bother anymore) and battle system (which is like Final Fantasy system). Apart from that, great great very intelligent and witty game. A gem. Here's how it starts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCQLoMBV5p4

Fallout wannabe was Metalheart, but the game had such cheesy script that I stopped playing after 10 minutes (good that it was in a magazine, not a direct purchase). There is also an online fallout project fusing f2 graphics engine http://fonline2238.blogspot.com/

There was also a German take on Fallout called The Fall:The Last Days of Gaia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzGgqiaDzKA Never played it, I do not like the camera work, but maybe one day I will give it a try.

Vampire the Masquerade:Redemption was kinda rpg (set first in the medieval times, then in contemporary times), but felt more like Diablo, mind you. It had, however, one of the best rpg online play modes ever created.

Full Throttle was an amazing post-apocalyptic adventure game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iVxsqEqK_I

And what about Arcanum? Steampunk-fantasy game, for a change :)

And of course Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. To say the truth, I played the game by accident, I did not like the vampire stuff (now it would be even harder to start with all this movie emo vampire kitsch), but the game turned out so amazing that it has become one of my favourite games, not only rpg. Playing as Malkavian was a really funny experience.

AxiomaticBadger
18th Dec 2010, 13:09
There are a couple of obstacles which disuade developers from using real world settings.

Firstly, by using a real country as thier setting they run the risk of offending people or being accused of racism, regardless of how tastefully the country is depicted. Thus all the military games set in nonspecificistan.

By setting the game in the real world then the developers are donning the heavy mantle of historical accuracy. The limits this places on their creativity cannot be underestimated, especially when you consider the flak they'd recieve from thier fans for even slight inconsistancies. Add to this the fact that a significant portion of the player base likely won't notice it in the slightest, and you're suddenly creating a lot of work for very little gain.

Similar to this, by making being realistic you're saying it isn't fantastic. Okay, a no-brainer, but the consequences are significant. Not only are you limiting yourself with your plot possibilities, but also the enemies your pc faces along his journey. In a setting where all your enemies are natural animals or humans in armour you're running the serious risk of combat becoming samey and boring, and you have very little you can use to shake things up. Likewise it's hard to establish a significant sense of progression; where a fantasy character goes from fighting goblins, through humans and orcs all the way to daemons in the endgame, your realistic character is just fighting humans in a different dress.

Lastly, you come up against the general impression that the real world is boring. When given the choice of fighting the mind-sorcerers on the sky-islands of hyphen-diazoral or fighting the king of france, which do you think your average gamer is going to go for?

None of these are game-breakers. All can be accounted for or circumvented. But when faced with the question "Is this worth the effort", well, you get the market as is.

JCpies
18th Dec 2010, 15:53
Firstly, by using a real country as thier setting they run the risk of offending people or being accused of racism, regardless of how tastefully the country is depicted. Thus all the military games set in nonspecificistan.

Like Six days in fallujah.

But MoH made it through.