PDA

View Full Version : Best Deus Ex Mods! - Update: "Deus Ex: Nihilum"

Vasarto
13th Dec 2010, 20:51
I am looking for good Deus Ex Mods. Also Instructions on how to properly use them because I tried this one a few years ago that came from a Game informer Issue but it neither worked or let me run my game anymore. It sucked.

JCpies
13th Dec 2010, 20:58
I have to say, my favourite mod so far is 'Deus Ex Revision' but that's only a demo at the moment. Soon to be released early 2011 or so I hear.

AlexOfSpades
13th Dec 2010, 21:03
I never used any mod for my DX, but i heard a lot about Shifter (http://www.moddb.com/mods/shifter1) and TNM (http://thenamelessmod.com/real/) (Which i did installed, but.. well...)

SageSavage
13th Dec 2010, 21:06
I suggest playing Redsun 2020 and Zodiac first. Then play TNM, which is not set in the original DX's universe (and the humour is not everyones cup of tea with its injokes etc) but maintains or even expands the gameplay mechanics. TNM was several years in the making and features full voice acting which is quite an achievement from the team behind it.

Then play through the original again with Shifter.

All of the above look better with the Enhanced OpenGL renderer for UT. There's also a fix for the UI-scaling at higher resolutions.

IOS
13th Dec 2010, 21:18
I suggest against TNM. Immature humor, poor writing, hub is too big and empty, tedious missions, everyone looks the same to the point where its VERY noticeable, and no real redeeming factors.

Brockxz
13th Dec 2010, 21:21
Played Zodiac couple years ago but all in all not a big fan of mods that changes some gameplay elements. I still use texture pack mods (new vision and HDTP) and dx10 renderer to make game look a little bit more modern.

SageSavage
13th Dec 2010, 21:25
The gameplay and the level of details are the redeeming factor and I don't think the missions are tedious (at least not the majority).

Dead-Eye
13th Dec 2010, 21:39
Redsun 2020 has probably the best name in modding history. It's just pure Deus Ex gameplay at it's best! The plot is more or less a total wast of time. It makes references to UNATCO but nothing adds up when compared to the bible, so it's more or less a DX spin off.

Zodiac is a far better squeal then Invisible War was. But if you're not really into the whole alien conspiracy thing I might recommend avoiding it.

TNM is just strange. The whole game is basically one big inside joke for Deus Ex fans. I wasn't really a huge fan, but it's also the only total conversion mod to feature full voice acting.

I have a feeling that the Men In Black mod is going to be the only mod that has a plot where Deus Ex fans will feel fits with Deus Ex cannon.

As for game alteration mods, Shifter is awesome. JC can throw all types of melee weapons and he can also collect 6 combat knives at a time. Also zyme gives you bullet time, making it actually useful.

TheMorten
13th Dec 2010, 22:49
I've heard about these improved renderers here and there, but never been able to track one down - what gives? Are there any sites offering DX graphics-improving packages or some such? (Such as the DX10 renderer someone referred to above).

motsm
13th Dec 2010, 23:00
I've heard about these improved renderers here and there, but never been able to track one down - what gives? Are there any sites offering DX graphics-improving packages or some such? (Such as the DX10 renderer someone referred to above).
http://kentie.net/article/d3d10drv/
http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

SageSavage
13th Dec 2010, 23:09
Here's a nearly complete DX1-mod-list:
http://offtopicproductions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1042

[FGS]Shadowrunner
14th Dec 2010, 03:10
I am looking for good Deus Ex Mods. Also Instructions on how to properly use them because I tried this one a few years ago that came from a Game informer Issue but it neither worked or let me run my game anymore. It sucked.

Are you looking for single player, multiplayer or both? It really depends what kind of mod you're looking for.

The offtopic link will be good. Also on http://www.dxalpha.co.uk
http://www.gravity-world.com I use planetdeusex.com for all the old ones too.

There were eight new mods this year and ppl tend to talk only about 3 of them.
Moddb lists around 20 in development also. Some really exciting stuff.
I don't think yet anyone has a definitive archive of all deus ex mods.

For SP mods, Hotel Carone and TNM have voiceover and full productions. Zodiac and Redsun are pretty polished too.
However Malkavian Mod had me in stitches laughing and some of the unfinished mods, like Cassandra are awesome and should be played.

It depends how much of a fan you are, I really enjoyed the Libyan mod demo, had fun in the field with Alex Jacobsen...

AlexOfSpades
14th Dec 2010, 14:13
Malkavian Mod is a must.

InGroove2
14th Dec 2010, 15:28
"hotel carone" is pretty awesome... it's basically a large mission and a half...

Zodiac is great (though it felt a bit limited)

I'd vote TNM for sure. sure there's alot of traversing large maps and the humor is of a particular taste... it's not at all difficult to understand and, in some places the way they use the metaphor of an internet forum is quite ingenious.

more than that though, TNM offers the fullest experience in terms of gameplay and a ton of expansion on DX gameplay in particular. the others dont really "get" the DX game play to the extent that TNM does.

p.s. IMO

WildcatPhoenix
14th Dec 2010, 15:52
Redsun 2020 has probably the best name in modding history. It's just pure Deus Ex gameplay at it's best! The plot is more or less a total wast of time. It makes references to UNATCO but nothing adds up when compared to the bible, so it's more or less a DX spin off.

Indeed. RedSun has some awesome level design once you get past the first couple of missions, but don't go expecting a brilliant (or coherent) plot.

Zodiac is a far better squeal then Invisible War was. But if you're not really into the whole alien conspiracy thing I might recommend avoiding it.

Zodiac is my personal favorite, but it's also the one I played first. Again, plot is semi-coherent, but some of the level design is very cool. I especially liked the Mission Impossible room in the CIA headquarters.

TNM is just strange. The whole game is basically one big inside joke for Deus Ex fans. I wasn't really a huge fan, but it's also the only total conversion mod to feature full voice acting.

I want to love TNM, I really do. Some of the level design is spectacular, the voice acting is a much welcome addition, the technical prowess is all there.

But I wasn't around for the great Deus Ex "forum wars" of the early 2000s, so most of the in-jokes fly way over my head. I'm sure the game is hysterical to those who get it, but unfortunately I'm not one of them. Definitely should check it out though just to admire the effort that went in to the production.

I have a feeling that the Men In Black mod is going to be the only mod that has a plot where Deus Ex fans will feel fits with Deus Ex cannon.

Why, thank you sir! ;) Our main goal is to focus on telling a great story to go along with the interesting mission locations and map design. And we definitely want to stay true to DX canon.

We're teaming up with Fastgamerr from the "Deus Ex: Nihilum" mod, so stay tuned for new developments there.

Here are a couple of links to both mods on Mod Db:

Man in Black: http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-man-in-black
Nihilum: http://www.moddb.com/mods/nihilum

As for game alteration mods, Shifter is awesome. JC can throw all types of melee weapons and he can also collect 6 combat knives at a time. Also zyme gives you bullet time, making it actually useful.

I like Shifter as well. If the HDTP ever comes out, they've done some excellent texture work for the items, although I'm not too fond of their character modelling.

There are also some interesting mods such as "The Cassandra Project" (sadly cut short, but with some very intriguing map design and custom weapons) and "Hotel Carone", and I am very much looking forward to "Project 2027."

Oh, and how could I forget? "The Malkavian Mod" is absolute WIN for any fan of Deus Ex.

St. Mellow
14th Dec 2010, 23:26
For a moment there, I thought this was a thread about rating forum mods. :lol:

EDIT: Oh yeah, Shifter and TNM rock. Also, I really like the New Vision textures.

WildcatPhoenix
15th Dec 2010, 15:10
I call Troll

Nah. Although I disagree with some of this statement, TNM is definitely not everyone's cup o' gravy.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
15th Dec 2010, 15:16
He's entitled to an opinion.

;1542548']For a moment there, I thought this was a thread about rating forum mods. :lol:

Forum mods? I didn't play any yet.

St. Mellow
15th Dec 2010, 15:37
^ I meant the moderators, not the modifications. :lol:

maikaal
15th Dec 2010, 16:11
I tried TNM but I wasn't motivated to play it, and after hearing some things about it (like long walks) I don't think I will give it a second chance, but nevertheless people who make mods like that deserve a lot of credit.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
15th Dec 2010, 16:49
;1542910']^ I meant the moderators, not the modifications. :lol:

I meant I have not played any forum moderators yet...

http://gravity-world.com/viewforum.php?f=21
Burdenof80Proof
Deranged Demo
DX Unatco Rescue Missions
BioMod
Mutations
Hardcore DX
Castle_Count
Shifter
DXSP_Omega
Zodiac 1-3
Hotel Carone
Unleashed
Underground Lab
Sniper Training
Rydberg Field
Rescue
Presidential Emergency
Mission 51
Doublecross
Flugtweg
DXO Prologue
Counterfeit
Hints of Corruption
Break In
Blood Like Venom
Ant-Agenda

That should keep you busy, while I find the rest.

VectorM
15th Dec 2010, 17:59
The emptiness of the first TNM hub can't even compare to the emptiness of the first Zodiac level.

JackShandy
16th Dec 2010, 09:45
I suggest against TNM. Immature humor, poor writing, hub is too big and empty, tedious missions, everyone looks the same to the point where its VERY noticeable, and no real redeeming factors.

This is why I hate the way people talk about games on the internet. The nameless mod is a huge total conversion with tons of new weapons, two fully different paths through the main quest and all the hacking, stealthing, augs and man-sized vents a deus ex fan could ask for. If you didn't enjoy it, that's understandable, but just outright dismissing it by saying there's no-one who could derive any value from the experience whatsoever is wrong. Not to mention horrible.

As a point towards TNM: It got a full legit review in PC Powerplay. They gave it a 9.

VectorM
16th Dec 2010, 12:02
It's a matter of what outweighs what for you. For him, the kinda immature humor and the long walks outweigh the level design and the very well done choices and consequences.

I think at the end, what you played first plays the biggest role. I played TNM first and now ZODIAC looks like an unfinished alpha version of the full mod. So did RedSun the first time I played it. I installed it again to give it another go.

Alai
16th Dec 2010, 12:50
Invisible War.

WildcatPhoenix
16th Dec 2010, 14:27
The Nameless Mod is brilliant in terms of scale and technical profiency, and quite often has some jaw-dropping level design. I also love what they did with the custom weapons.

I knew going in there would be a lot of in-jokes and that it was set up to be a "comedy mod," if you will. But I just didn't get a lot of the jokes. That's all I can say. I haven't been able to finish it, and I even bought the physical gaming disc.

I applaud them though for sticking through years of modding challenges and for putting out professional caliber work. I just look at TNM like I look at MMORPGs or racing games; just not my cup o' tea, regardless of how well-made.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
16th Dec 2010, 17:29
Hmm that is an interesting point, which gets played first.

I played Hotel Carone, Fatal Weapon, Cassandra, Rydberg Field, and Counterfeit first.
I was getting off on additional story and seeing DX1 characters in new settings.
Cassandra was just brilliant for the texturing.

If I was judging a competition, I'd have to vote TNM because it is the most complete and they've originated their own story and plot entirely. My favourite though is Carone, the pace is a lot better and Jock totally rocks that mod.

ArcR
17th Dec 2010, 01:41
Shadowrunner;1543574']Cassandra was just brilliant for the texturing. My favourite though is Carone, the pace is a lot better and Jock totally rocks that mod.

Cassandra had awesome voice acting and great humor on top of textures. I had high hopes after the intro. Hotel Carone is my favorite complete mod.

TNM... meh

Dony477
18th Dec 2010, 20:23
Hey my mod is there. :D
DX UNATCO RESCUE Missions
I never even thought my mod would be so popular.
Visit: http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-unatco-rescue-missions
I am releasing demo version in 24th of December 2010 :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
3rd Jun 2013, 09:18
Eidos-MontrĂ©al ‏tweet/29 May

Still got the original Deus Ex installed? Check out the newly released fan created "Deus Ex: Nihilum" mod! http://ow.ly/lwsJq

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15991411/mp3/Bandwidth/DXNFBjpot.jpg